Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• mybooomybooo Member Posts: 92
    OK, if I remember correctly (receipt is at home) the dealer did the latest recall fix, intermediate steering rack/gear, and TOE adjustment. Drove about 30 miles on it and it is smooth, and quiet. FINGERS ARE CROSSED that this takes care of it. Took them about 2 hours to do it. I have 45,000 on my 05 and they covered it under warranty. I had a "case" opened through Chevy before my 36k was up. THANKS RYDELL CHEVY in Waterloo, IOWA!
  • mfh1mfh1 Member Posts: 15
    To all of you expecting a whole new driving experience with the rack fix on the 04-06 Malibu/G6, that ain't gonna happen. The ride is smoother and quieter, but the suspension does not have enough dampening built in. Perhaps the 16" OEM tires on the Maxx are too hard, not enough isolation in the frame, etc. Good sized bumps or cracked pavement still transmit crashing and suspension noise through the struts, if a bit less so.
    I do not have the suspension problems that you mention. Maybe a fluke? Anyway, I have BF Goodrich Traction T/A's on the 'Boo, and I LOVE those tires. I had them on my Grand Prix GTP before.
  • bunnymasseusebunnymasseuse Member Posts: 9
    No I'm not aware I ever said I thought having serious issues with a car was a reason to just roll over and take it.

You are right, it does literally come down to financial in this case. Financial in the sense of having yet another person to pay off (the lawyer) and if the car is bought back having to re-establish yet ANOTHER loan and start on car payments all over again. Sorry, can't say that option sounds SO appealing that I just want to jump right into it. Most of the information I stated in my last post WAS after talking with a Lemon Law lawyer. That's the 'averages' he was giving me. There is no guarentee of having it bought back. No guarentee of having the type of end solution I'd love to see. End solution I'd love to see? New car, back to square one again. No loss of $$ that I originally put down. That's what I'd like. But no Lemon Law was created to totally give back a consumer what they bought even if it was a lemon. It just gives them a 'taste' of some restitution.

It's sad to think that my fustrations with my car are "...interesting to read..." from your perspective. Maybe you'd find yourself thinking differently if you were in my shoes w/ the experiences I've had w/ this car.
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    Are all 04-05 Malibu going to have the rack problem or is this a quality control problem. I have 21K on my 04 sedan and it is still quiet.
  • mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    Got mine back after 2 and half days. Turns out they had it so long because their alignment machine is broken and they had to take it into the local tire shop downtown. From what I can tell the popping in turns, and rattling over small bumps is gone. However, the steering wheel seems off-center now, but I can live with that.
  • ajs13ajs13 Member Posts: 1
    This is a follow-up of my original message (#2725). I just picked my car up from another dealership today. I had it in there a couple of times for vibration at hwy speed (most vibration is at 73 mph). Vibration is the type that might suggest that your tires are a little out of balance. Vibration is felt at your feet and a little in the steering wheel. I had a service rep take for a test drive with me and he acknowledged the vibration and thought it must be the tires. They balanced all four tires. The car still vibrates. Brought it in today and went for a test drive with the service manager and he confirmed the vibration. He said he would call Chevy to see if there was any information on this. He called me later and said that he had test driven a used Maxx on his lot and found the same vibration, therefore there is nothing he could do. I called the GM service line and spent about 45 minutes relaying the history of this vehicle since purchased in 11/2005. They finally put me on hold and talked to the service mgr I had just dealt with. The end result is that Chevy can not help me with the vibration problem. There is nothing they can or will do. It is inherent in the design of the Maxx. The person I talked with said her car has a little vibration. I feel so much better now.

So all you Maxx owners out there please let me know what the vibration at hwy speeds in your Maxx's is like.

The car has no other problems. I am not sure if this would satisfy a lemon law claim in Massachusetts. I am so tired of tingling feet after a long commute. This will probably be the first and last GM vehicle I ever buy. Sorry for the long post but I just had to vent. Thanks and I look forward to any and all responses.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    yep, same here mr_bots. My steering wheel is slightly skewed to the left. I agree with the earlier post that all Bu/Maxx owners should not expect a miracle with the new steering rack. A gravel road is the best place to hear the jiggling. I invite all that have had the procedure done to find a gravel road, and drive between 5-10 mph. You very well might here the noise again. Nonetheless, the noise is significantly reduced, and the new rack apprears to do as advertised.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    No where did you mention that you talked to a Lemon law lawyer until this last post.

I do not find your frustrations with the car "interesting". Sorry I don't find pleasure in other people's pain. It is your reaction on this issue that I find interesting. You are obviously not happy with the issues with the car (see your original post, you used the words "livid" and "steamed"). I ask why not file Lemon Law and you respond with nothing but talk about what a great price you got on teh car, how you saved your money to buy this car, starting a new loan, cost me money to file... blah, blah blah. Hardly the answer I expected.

Yes I would be thinking differently than you if I were having these problems. I would either want out of the car as fast as I could or I would be on the phone with the dealership and regional manager working to get my car fixed. You have a defect in your car that the dealership has not been able to fix after 4 visits (or was it 7 visits). GM owes it to you to fix the problem in your car. This is why you have the 3yr/36k miles bumper to bumper warranty.

If you don't want to file Lemon Law, try another dealership to fix the problem. If they can't fix it, then talk to the Regional Manager. Maybe you can get the resolution you are looking for this way. And please keep all your receipts and documentation.

Another option is re-post your problem. This time include the details of when it happens, sounds you hear, and include what the dealer has done to try to fix it. There are a couple of very knowledgeable people on this board that may be able to help you.

Good luck.
  • michiganmaxxmichiganmaxx Member Posts: 72
    I have an '04 Maxx LT with approx. 24,000 miles on it and have never ever had the slightest hint of vibration at highway speeds...and that includes up to 80MPH. Not any sensation of vibration in the accelerator or the steering wheel. In fact, various passengers have commented on how smooth the car is at highway speeds. I'm really surprised you are being told your
    experience is "normal" for the Maxx.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I'll echo MichMaxx...I have almost 75K on my 04 Maxx..and the only time I had a vibration is when I had the tires rotated and shop failed to properly torque the rims .....once that was done I had no problems at all....I notice some vibration right before I had my brakes changed....turning the rotors cleared that up as well.....replaced OEM brakes at 63K..no other problems with mine and very smooth on the highway....I also upgraded to 17 inch rims..and 225/50-17 tires.....that increase would have enhanced any vibration problems...but none here..also running Michelin Pilot Sports
  • prdmprdm Member Posts: 145
    No vibration here either on an '05 Maxx LS. Since it occurs primarily at one speed you may have what is termed "harmonic vibration" where two or more rotating masses are coinciding. It may be as simple as a tire rotation to correct, or changing some other rotating things. But this is definitely not normal.
    It usually developes 4000-5000 miles into the life of the car, as acknowledged by the TSB. Maybe you got lucky.
  • bczfbczf Member Posts: 1
    I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to drop a note and say I have the same problem. I bought an 04 Chevy Malibu V6 LS and it has worked like a dream up until now. I started getting the "Power Steering" message with no warning, but the steering itself seemed to be ok, until the past 2 weeks where it would seem stiffer turning sharply one way than the other. I also noticed that it seemed to do this when the temerature outside got hot. One day when I got out of work after leaving the car sit all day, I found I had NO power steering AT ALL, and given the fact I had no other way home, I had to drive home with no power steering.
    But ever since that day last week, I have had no problems, no warning messages, NOTHING..

I took it to the dealers repair dept and they said the same thing, I need a new steering column ($615 installed), but did not mention anything about the motor itself. I am worried that since the "Power Steering" warning message hasnt come on for them, that they are only fixing part of the problem and that one day, again I'll have no power steering.. I am really frustrated by this, sin :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: ce I love my car..
    The sttering column replacement includes the electric motor. This is a factory defect that included a recall. You should not pay for this, even if you are out of warranty.
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    I have this same intermittant flutter noise on my 06 Maxx LTZ which I just purchased on 7/28. The cowl seal is lifted away from windshield under the right wiper blade. Rather than try the home remedies mentioned here, I will bring this to attention of my service dept when I bring it in at 1,000 mi.

Either cowl is defective/deformed, or the windshield curve in that area is out of spec. One or the other should be replaced.

I also have a broken right shade on rear fixed sky window. The retractor is messed up. I also have a bad rattle in back of car. Can't determine if it's coming from headliner, hatch opening or under car, like brake line hitting floor pan. Other that these 2 things I have not found any other problems.
  • butch100butch100 Member Posts: 28
    I don't blame you for makeing the dealer fix
    it, I do not trust my local chevy dealer very
    much since they overfilled my crankcase by one
    full quart during a LOF. The less they work on
    it the better...
  • maxxfanmaxxfan Member Posts: 4
    Sorry if this is repeating a question. Has anyone had trouble with their Maxx starting? I have a 2004 that's got just over 30,000 miles. Maybe five times since about 800 or so miles, it's failed to start on the first attempt, but would start by about the third. But on August 2nd, it wouldn't start at all. It would crank, but immediately die. After waiting about 15 minutes, it started, but I had to give it gas as I turned the key. And boy did it stink of gas after it started. I took it to the dealer the next day. They said they couldn't recreate the problem and no codes were in the system, so I'd have to get the car to them when the problem was occurring. Today, it did nearly did it again. After three tries, waiting about 20 seconds between each, it wouldn't start. Then I waited about two minutes, turned the key, hit the gas and it started, but it was a rough start. On August 2nd, it was midday and more than 90 degrees. The car had been sitting for about an hour and half. Today, it was again very hot and the car had been sitting for about three hours. Any ideas? Is there a TSB out or anything? The engine light is the only thing that stays on when this occurs.
    Thanks for any help!
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    When it doesn't start, push the accelerator to the floor and hold it there. That's supposed to be a clear flood engine method. It is supposed to turn off the fuel injectors. See what happens.

It's like with the old carburetor cars with choke plates. When they flooded, you pushed and held the pedal to the floor and that held the choke open to avoid adding gas by choking the air intake.

If that solves the problem, it means you have leaking fuel getting into the intake. Maybe leaking fuel injectors while sitting?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• hhmaxhhmax Member Posts: 44
    Mine 05Maxx LT does this too. Although it was much better after they did two hunter balances but it never completely went away. I am having it re-checked to see if the tire balances are still in spec. If they are, the dealer said that they will do a in vehicle balance of which the first time it's free and $190 afterwards.
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    Hey E2, I know this is a Malibu forum and I have a 2006 Maxx LTZ, but I was wondering if you could get any info on other GM cars. I'm looking to buy a used 2006 Cobalt LS 2dr 5SP manual from my local Chevy dealer for my Son. Could you tell me the build date and if it was built with any options in it. VIN 1G1AK15FX67747860. Thanks.
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    You are right we don't want to muddy up this thread (and I don't check other Chevy model sites). Here is info you want:

12/12/2005
  • hhmaxhhmax Member Posts: 44
    They found two of the tires are out out of spec and they rebalanced them. It's much better now but you can still "feel" the road.

On a seperate note, if I keep the car still and turn the steering wheel left and right. I can hear a not so lound clunk like gear backlash. Anybody has this same issue? At parking lot menuver, when the steering wheel is turned left all the way, you can hear some dull tapping noise. Is this the sign of troubles to come? What is the TSB about the steering column?

Thanks!
  • stan1911stan1911 Member Posts: 12
    The vibration you feel could be from your tires. I bought new Goodyear Eagle F1 GS

D3 from Tirerack and had them mounted on my rims by a nearby shop. I got

vibrations at the 70-75mph range. I thought it just might wear in but several

hundred miles later, it was still there and since I was acutey aware of the

vibration, it seemed to get worse (prob subjective). So I looked up an installer

using the same Hunter GSP 9700 equipment that Tire Rack uses and had him remount my

tires using the Hunter GSP9700. Its a system designed to match mount tires.

http://www.gsp9700.com/

As the owner of the place operated the mounting machine, he told me what he was

doing and why. Pretty interesting. This occurred 2 years ago and I'm writing this from memory, so its general what occurs.... The rim is checked for round, then the tire is mounted and a roller exerts pressure on the tire to measure resistance. It finds "high" and "low" spots. The operator then attempts to match up the irregularities in the rim with offsetting irregularities in the rubber. My guy had to swap around tires on the rims to get an optimal fit. Wheel weights were added to balance out the fitment. 95% of the vibration was eliminated.
    I did the same to my other car and during the road force measurements, he found 2 of my brand new Goodyears were out of spec. Tire Rack replaced them without a fuss and 2 days later, I went back to finish the tire mounting job.
    So it could be your tires that are causing the vibrations. Even brand new tires can be out of round enough to vibrate at higher speeds but appear to be ok with conventional balancing.
    S Chang
    Brunswick, OH
  • rvothrvoth Member Posts: 147
    I have a 2005 malibu LS and i was wondering if you could tell me the build date, vin 1G1ZT54815F173504 . Would it be possible to also find out if it was built in the afternoon or morning shift? Thanks
    No need to provide the whole VIN but too late now ;)

Afternoon/morning shift is somewhat a arbitrary thing because from start to finish a vehicle might have operators from both shifts working on it. Don't ask me how long it takes from body shop until vehicles rolls off the line - I don't know :confuse:

Date when completed was 10/08/2004
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    yup, my '04 maxx had the same warped cowl problem. Was replaced under warranty and, so far, problem has not reoccured.
  • rvothrvoth Member Posts: 147
    Thank you very much. ;) Interesting to know it was assembled on a Friday mmmph :confuse: , explains alot.! Russ :shades:
    On my way home tonight, was a little chilly, so I nudged the temp control up, nothing, still cold. Long story short, no matter what setting I was on, the fan blew out cold air. I could not get warm or hot or anything other than cold. Any chance that when I had the steering recall done that they could have knocked a hose off or something? Any ideas? 2005 Malibu MAXX. Thanks!
  • glennbglennb Member Posts: 34
    I had that happen to my '04 Maxx recently, but the problem went away after I turned the AC on and off a few times, and rotated the vent control to different positions a few times. It suddenly started blowing hot again, but I am sure the problem will crop again in the dead of winter. Has your problem self corrected like mine?
    Thanks! I will try that tomorrow!
  • juswheelsjuswheels Member Posts: 42
    After 15 Months and 20,000 miles, I may have my first problem with my 2005 Maxx. Asking here because it's been so trouble-free, that I'm not sure if it's a problem.

This past weekend, I began to notice a "clunking" noise when I turn left. The sound doesn't happen with right turns, just left. I have read some threads about some steering column problems associated with the Maxx. Could some please advise, if this is what I'm experiencing and is there a service bulletin, about it?? - Many thanks, for any info. :)
    OK, this am I went through a few ac/heat modes, and turn the temp knob from cold to hot several times. I got hot air. went back to cold, got cold, back to hot, got hot. SO, knock on wood it is working at this time. THANKS for the tip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
  • deesmaxxdeesmaxx Member Posts: 5
    Hi, that's the same problem my Maxx had a couple of weeks ago. The service department replaced the steering column yet again. Take it in, the noise gets worst as you drive it longer.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    there is a mafor TSB out on the column..and its replacement..sorry to hear your issue....04 Maxx here...75K on it...30 Months old...and not one problem....
  • jim83421jim83421 Member Posts: 6
    I am working on a 10/2003 chev impala with 3.4 engine I Have a code for the low tire pressure but all tires are at 40 psi. I have cleared the code several times but it comes back even with car sitting still. any one out there ran up against this one
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Check the spare tire.
    ...and the steering rack as well, which is very difficult to get diagnosed. There is a TSB on this as well and it affects '04 to '06 Malibus and Maxxes. The TSB was discussed earlier on this forum.
    ..not, to know the electrics on this car can cut out at random.

I hope somebody can explain what is going on and what can be done to fix it. This is actually a safety issue, don't you think?
    I reported this problem to NHTSA. Any vehicle whose driver-warning lights (blinkers, brakes, etc). go whacko all on its own is dangerous.

What would happen, while I am braking, if the BCM decides to turn off the brake lights while I am __still__ braking?
    that could cause turn signals or other indicator lights to stop working while the user is driving the vehicle?
  • 37453745 Member Posts: 152
    Consider this - your key fob is a radio link to your BCM. You can open doors and trunk and also remote start. What happens if a stray radio signal gets into the system? A strong radio signal in the proximity of the car will overload and swamp the receiver. I remember working on a high power antenna system some years back. A few of us had parked our cars nearby. When the time came to leave 2 cars would not start until we had pushed them some distance away from the antenna. I'm not saying this IS the problem with the new Malibu but it is worth investigating.

Do you know what frequency the key fob operates on e2?
    The turn signal lamps themselves are 4 separate output drivers from the BCM to each turn signal lamp directly. The status of indicators in the instrument cluster are, with a few exceptions, under control of serial data communication and so an interruption in that communication would likely also affect other functions that are updated pretty often (like what gear you are in). I remember the other poster's complaint from several months ago and that one is certain a very strange occurrence which I don't believe I recall ever hearing before.
  • beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    Just when I thought my dealer had exorcised the cruise control demon, I find that when I attempt to accelerate with the "+" button, the cruise control system shuts down. I've noticed that this usually happens the first time I attempt to accelerate after starting the ignition; after that, it appears to work normally. EVerything else works OK. It engages and disengages normally when I want it to (although disengaging with the brake pedal still requires more of a stomp than I'd like).

What to do: Live with it...or keep bugging them? I have 9000 miles and 11 months left under warranty.
    Well if repeatible I would hope they can find it

I know you have posted on this before and my memory isn't that good to remember all the things I already suggested be looked at.

I would love to troubleshoot it myself :)
  • lnwriter1lnwriter1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '98 Malibu LS with just over 64K miles. It was a lease vehicle prior to my purchasing it in March '01. It's in great shape except for the growing rust problem around where I put gas in (I'm sure there's a technical term for that but I don't know what it is). It seems to be just that panel that is affected. I took it to a trusted body shop and they are relucatant to fix because they are afraid it will happen again. I've seen other Malibus in the area with rust occuring there, too. Any ideas on what could be causing it? Thanks.
    Actually the Maxx uses (at least in '04) a whip antenna on the right rear quarter panel to receive radio signals. If it has Onstar, there's another antenna on the roof.

But yes, computer systems, if not properly shielded, can be vunerable to RF noise or strong radio signals.

What's worrysome is how long the systems can remain disabled and that currently there is no way for the user to know what has happened (there was no DIC warning or anything for the light failute).
  • terrymac1terrymac1 Member Posts: 4
    Impressions from owners on 99 Chevy Malibu. I have had to put money into this car and each year it is something else. Now my car jerks when I accelerate until later when it is warmed up. Just had my O2 sensor replaced last year.
    Any suggestions?
  • 37453745 Member Posts: 152
    Seems as if some computer functions can be disabled until the next start cycle is initiated. Looks like the BCM needs a reboot to get the missing items working again. That's how it seems in my case. I've learnt to live with it because so far the car has never left me stranded. On my 04 Malibu the antenna is in the rear window. Never mind where the antenna is mounted I still believe rf interference MIGHT be the culprit here.

It would be interesting to disable the remote receiver for the key fob to see what the effect would be. Problem is a person would have to wait a long time to come to a conclusion due to the randomness of the problem.

The antenna provides a direct path into the heart of the computer system for radio frequencies. I don't know how selective the receiver is. But strong rf signals of any frequency nearby will surely swamp the receiver anyway. So shielding might not work here. A better link from keyfob to receiver would have been an infrared link. But that defeats the purpose of remote start where a line of sight would be needed for starting. In the winter you would want to start your car from indoors.
  • tcontastcontas Member Posts: 10
    I had my steering gear replaced with the new part per the bulletin and it really made a big improvement. I drove it over a washboard gravel road, the type that used to make my front end rattle and clunk, and it was much quieter. I just hope it stays tight over the miles & years to come. Anyone who is thinking about having it done should probably do it, esp. if under warranty. My dealer didn't make me go through all sorts of crazy stuff to prove it needed it, no "unable to duplicate" response, just prompt and effective service to fix the problem. Not sure if they adjusted just the toe or did a full alignment or what, but it drives perfectly straight and the steering wheel is straight as well.