Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• townhometownhome Member Posts: 104
    e2helper,
    Thanks for taking the time to look into this. My VIN is 170437. I know that the build date is in Feb, so, based on everything I read here, I was expecting to need a reclaibration. The starter thing hasn't happened in a while, maybe because I've been a little more deliberate w/ my starting. I wasn't aware of how the starter works -- thanks for the explanation.
    Overall, I still love my Maxx. I'm even getting used to the steering!
    One thing I was wondering though. I know that you were involved with both the Malibu and the G6. You mentioned you're going to lease a G6. Is it just personal preference that makes you choose it over the Malibu, or something else? Just curious.
    Thanks again.
  • gla4601gla4601 Member Posts: 40
    My drivers side door has an almost unbearable rattle that is louder when its colder out. Its so bad that at times I cant wait to get out of the vehicle. I'm pretty sure its the speaker that has come loose. Not going to take it to the dealer just for that so I guess I'll either have to get earplugs or fix it myself. Probably a nightmare to get the door panel off and get it back on without creating another rattle in the process. My malibu only has 3k miles but I'm willing to bet by the time it reaches 10k it will sound like a bucket of nuts and bolts.
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    The lease vehicle is for my wife. It is her preference (LOL). She has always liked Grand Ams (although she would prefer the 2 door which won't be available until next year). We are already going to have to extend our current lease vehicle for 2 months because I waited for G6 to be available :(

Me, I would have gone with a Maxx because of the storage and stuff that the Malibu offers that the G6 doesn't (DVD, Electrochromatic Mirror, fold flat front pass seat, heated outside mirrors, automatic climate control) but especially the flexible storage!! I tried to talk her into it with all the pull-ahead lease deals but she had her heart set on a G6.

I have gotten to drive all 3 (Malibu Sedan, Maxx and G6) for several months each and that is my preference. The one thing I do like about the G6 that the Malibu doesn't have is the Monsoon Audio system.

BTW your vehicle build date was 02/11/04. Same birthday as bh2004's (LOL)
  • beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    But just to help confuse things a little more...when I had my "Check Engine" light problem, I could still use the remote start!

In my case, the cause of the light being on was "Code P0442 -- Evap leak detected Install purge cart, found leaking lines at rear main connection". So maybe some problems affect that turn on the CE light will disable the remote start but not others???
    Well they were supposed to work on reducing the number of PCM faults that disable remote start. Maybe that is one of them. I will check
  • krmaykrmay Member Posts: 1
    i have changed many headlights but i have never seen anything like this. i want to change a burnt out bulb but to me it looks like i have to remove the whole inside clip. i am so confused can someone please help me,or has the factory finally found a way to make you go to the shop just to replace a headlight
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    12K on my maxx and still tight with no rattles other than the sunshield for the sunroof when it is slide open.....only minor....and dont hear it with the sunroof open or the XM radio on...
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    yea pao, my sunroof rattle is actually vibrating metal coming from the front of the sunroof. It is not too bad, and I might be able to silence it with a little time and effort. I also have squeek with my front left strut. I can hear it when I go over my driveway apron. Anybody else have that one?
  • bwolterbwolter Member Posts: 51
    I had been hearing frequency noise, some growling, etc. from my transmission on my 04 Maxx (5K now). I took it in and the dealer said it was normal. I told them about the TSB (thanks to someone here who made me aware of it). They knew nothing. So I gave them a printout of the numbers. 2 days later, they called and said I was right. Parts on order. They will pay for rental car. Now, aside from the transmission being right, what else should I look for in the area of them putting it back together right? Like steering?
  • mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    I have an LS Sedan with just over 3300k miles, but I have a rattle that sounds like the left strut when going over certain bumps too and my passenger seat rattles in the mornings when its empty which is about to drive me nuts. I'm also kinda of expecting my power steering to go out before too long because of the early build date (12/03) and I'll have it all checked then.
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    Wow. I didn't realize that Malibu got all those features but the G6 didn't! That's actually surprising, since GM likes to position the Pontiac versions of their vehicles more upscale, and I'd have expected every one of the features from the Chevy versions to make it to them and then some. I was actually wondering why the interior shots I've seen of the G6 all appeared to be showing manual climate controls, even for higher trim level packages. I guess now I know..

(The Monsoon system must really crank though, given how good the standard system sounds in my '04 LT sedan)
  • firemanjackfiremanjack Member Posts: 123
    I was just reading the Malibu handbook this morning, I got the rear wireless headphones which should have come with the car last night, from the dealer, and had to read up on the rear audio system ..Hold this button for 2 seconds...this one for 4 seconds..Geezuz..I want my '61 Chevy wagon back..AM..one speaker...never failed..Course it never sounded like this beautiful system either...but I never had to read a handbook either..Life is great...I love this car..The return of the Chevy is upon us.
                                  Jack
  • carriepcarriep Member Posts: 2
    My '00 Chevy has 95K miles and is on its THIRD FUEL PUMP. I have had it to the Chevy dealer, but they advise there is no problem with the car, my pumps just seem to go bad. These pumps have been replaced by the dealer and continue to go bad. Each time it costs me about $1,000 for repairs. Maybe Chevy has a bigger problem than just my car??????
  • carriepcarriep Member Posts: 2
    Since I've had my '00 Chevy I have had MANY problems with the electrical system. The theft light comes on constantly, but randomly. I have had the electrical system overhauled by Chevy, but they do not see any problems. Sometimes this is very annoying and inconvenient, especially if I am running errands and my car won't start. I know to wait 10 minutes with the key in the ignition, but why can't Chevy seem to get it right? Chevy says this feature cannot be disabled.
    I didn't mention that the Malibu also has Garage door opener feature available as well. The vehicles I drove didn't have it so I never tried it out yet.

The 2006 model G6 does have a similar automatic climate control system as Malibu but it only comes with the GTP model.

Finally I forgot to mention that the G6 GT and GTP models have a true Tap Up/Down shifter operation. The Malibus shifter with the +/- button isn't actually used for that type of operation.
    Gee, I am starting to wonder if ANYONE got their headphones with that 2005 Maxx Rear Seat Audio (RPO UK6)

:(
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    The HomeLink feature is terrific. I had it on my Trailblazer, and it's on our '04 Malibu too. The range compared to the remotes that came with my garage door openers appears to be about double (I can open my doors before I'm in sight of the house :D).

I recently traded the TB in on an '04 Silverado (which didn't have HomeLink available as an option- the 2005's do, however), and it's the one thing I miss most.

I didn't know there was going to be a G6 GTP. I thought that was a Grand Prix only trim. The tap up/tap down manumatic shifting also sounds cool.

No matter. We still really love this Malibu.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I also use the homelink feature on my Maxx to open the security gate for my parking area and for my sons apartment..in SC....programming easy and the range is excellent..
  • skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    I needed a second car today so I drove my Maxx. The engine light was on when I left. On the way home I needed to agressively accelerate to merge on the highway and the light went out. Will the code still be in the computer?
  • nessusnessus Member Posts: 6
    maxxliberty,

My wife took the car to the dealer who sold it to us armed with e2helper's bulletin number. They looked it up, found out it was correct, and have ordered me a new gas tank. IMHO there's no reason at all why your dealers should shut you down like that especially now that the problem is very much a known issue. Go back and kick some [non-permissible content removed].
  • nessusnessus Member Posts: 6
    I got two sets of IR headphones with my 05 Maxx.
    Yes it will. However it will be flagged as a history code (and not a current one).

There is a potential the history code may even clear itself after 40 warm up cycles if there is no failure detected again (but I am not an expert on that stuff).
  • islandpeteislandpete Member Posts: 94
    Taking my Malibu Maxx LT 2004 in next Monday for the second time to get the fuel sender problem corrected thanks to e2helper's advice. As I said awhile back the gas tank never read full,always a notch below. This apparently will cause the Cap warning to chime. I will tell the service manager to look at bulletin #04-08-49-025 as you suggested e2helper(thanks). Also, going to have them check out the brakes, they shudder when applied at anything over 30 MPH. So far my air bag light that acted up two months ago has been OK. Would I be surprised if it came on again, NOPE :-)Stay tuned ~~
  • skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    If I decide to let the Maxx sit for 3 months, should I do anything besides disconnecting the negative side of the battery?

Your information has been very helpful.
    Well I don't have experience in storage of vehicles for that long of time - but I am sure someone else does.

Yes battery would go dead after 3 months if connected.
  • prdmprdm Member Posts: 145
    <If I decide to let the Maxx sit for 3 months, should I do anything besides disconnecting the negative side of the battery?>

That is fine unless you're in a cold climate (read freezing) in which case remove battery and bring inside.
  • birkiebobbirkiebob Member Posts: 19
    My heater fan stopped working on speeds 1 and 2 a couple months ago. My in-law's Cutlass (same car, different name) had the same problem and they had a local non-GM shop replace a relay @$25 plus labor. The shop told her they'd done a bunch of these, it was a design defect (close to heat and got too hot) and GM redesigned it now. Does anyone know if GM is offering a warranty on this defect?
  • karunchkarunch Member Posts: 8
    Well I have a 2004 Malibu Maxx, I've had it since the middle of August. The last 6 of my VIN are 156335. Last night, on my way home I experienced a problem that seems pretty common with these cars. I was driving and the "Check Engine Soon" light came on, and the Driver Information Center stated "Power Steering". I lost my power steering, and it was extremely difficult to even get my car off to the side of the road! I felt extremely unsafe driving it, so I called Chevy Roadside Assistance. 3 HOURS later, the tow truck finally arrived! To say I'm extremely unhappy with having to wait on the side of the road for 3 hours, would be an understatement!

I am just wondering what needs to be done to fix the Power Steering problem? Is it something that could be fixed in a day, or is it something that might take more then one day? I'm kinda wondering if I should expect to go pick my car up later, or whether I'll have to go pickup a rental car from the dealer tonight.
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    Hi again. Am wondering if E2helper can tell me how my Maxx is calibrated? I cannot get straight answers from the dealer service departments. My last 6 VIN digits are 155772.

Am also wondering if there is any "secret adjustment" for the driver seat lumbar support? I have noted the support has a nasty tendency to bulge out the very bottom of the seat back, which tends to press against belts and other clothing items rather than the small of the back.

Thanks! Other than a few minor rattles and the power steering failure the Maxx so far is doing well for a first year car.
    Well I've come to find out that they have absolutely no idea how long they are going to have to keep my car for. So I went and picked up my rental car tonight. They were unable to duplicate the problem with the steering in the shop, but they are still going to replace the steering column on the car anyways. This is such a common problem they say, that the part (steering column) is on backorder thus why they are unable to estimate when they might be able to fix the car and get it back to me..
    Sorry for your experience karunch.

Your dealer is taking appropriate action. Your vehicle build date is Jan 31, 2004
    I am not very knowledgable on details of the seat kurt so sorry, not help there. I think you talked about this at April Clinic you attended with engineers, right?

I confirmed that your vehicle was updated at the clinic to the latest calibration available (the one we posted about in other places).
    Thanks and appreciate the info E2. So I guess cruise control is what it is for now.

Perhaps engineering will have a calibration in the future that will let crusie communicate with the transmission as well as the driver accelerator pedal does.

The Pontiac G6 driver seat is quite similar to the Malibu, but the lumbar support is higher up and more comfortable. Not enough reason to ditch the Malibu, though.
  • blukat40blukat40 Member Posts: 1
    This is our issue: The car idles very rough when in park and the climate control system is off as well as the AC. The dealership says this is normal on Malibu's due to leaning out the engine for emission purposes. It is very annoying and quite frankly does not seem right to me. Anyone else experience this?
  • minn_maxxminn_maxx Member Posts: 51
    Hi Blukat40

Yes, my 2004 Maxx with the PCM update idles rough sometimes too. With the AC on, it smooths out quite a bit. Seems this may be "normal" -- but annoying.
    The idle on my Maxx is a little rough from time to time, but smooths out if the AC is on. If it's due to an engine lean condition, that makes it more tolerable as idling in traffic is a huge fuel waster as is (the Maxx gets pretty darn good mileage given that its engine lacks variable valve timing or variable displacement or other fuel saving tricks)

Also noted the Maxx has trouble starting if it has been driven a short distance, stopped, and then restarted after 10 - 15 minutes. It'ds not a unique problem - my older Camry and Prism had trouble with lukewarm starting.
  • bwolterbwolter Member Posts: 51
    Don't be surprised if your car is in for a few days. I rented a car for what I thought would be a day or two job. I had the rental for 10 days. The problem was getting the parts (transmission and domelight switch). GM did reimburse for almost all the rental. They gave up waiting for the domelight switch and just took one off of another unsold new one. The transmission work was great. No howling noises. Extremely quiet........until I pulled into my driveway! 4 loud thuds from underneath. Backed out of the drive and tried again...sure enough it did it again. So I went back to the dealer. Luckily, I didn't have to get another rental. They found the problem. When they torqued the bolts for the cradle after reinstalling the tranny, the guy didn't torque enough so it was loose. It's fine now.
  • davidm4davidm4 Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I'm thinking about buying a new 2004 maxx from the local dealer - i have the vin number for the car and was wondering if i could tell what the build date is from that, and whether that might tell me anything i ought to know about the car.

thanks.
    Well I originally was told by the Service Department at the dealership that the part was on backorder, and they would have no idea when they would be getting the part in... Today I called the Parts Department, and asked if they had any idea as to when they might be getting the part in. The Parts Dept. tells me that the part is not on backorder just that the Philadelphia warehouse does not have any, and that the part is being shipped in from Michigan. So they expect to have the part by Wednesday...

I can't wait to get my car back, this Impala that they gave me is like driving a boat!
    Post last 6 digits
  • davidm4davidm4 Member Posts: 6
    215123 are the last 6 digits of the LS, I think, although there also is the number 5000 at the very end.
    Looks to be April 22, 2004 (Earth Day!!). Silver exterior color, right? It would have latest steering column. It falls in with the latter half of population of owners on the board.

Others posters might be able to chime in on other stuff they have learned.
    Hi e2helper. Could you run this VIN for build date.
    159183 I know build date is 9/o4 but was wondering about Friday afternoon cars. Is that a myth?
    Thanks, Peter.
    I think it is a myth. BTW your date is 1/23/04 which is......a Friday. Vehicles take longer than a half day to build. I am not sure of entire process time from body shop welding the body panels together to out the door but it is more that an 8 hour shift involving the efforts of thousands :)

Hey where did you buy this car? Your profile says CT but that isn't where car was sold from :)
  • davismaxxdavismaxx Member Posts: 33
    Anybody else finding the neutral cloth upholstery isn't very kid proof? It shows everything, and is already starting to look worn and tired after only 60 days use.

Do they still make plastic seat covers I could have installed?

Other than that, love the car!

Raoul
    VIN 237245
    Davis, CA
    Thanks for the response. It's supposed to be an '05. Door sticker shows build date of 09/04. It came from Hassett Chevrolet in Fairfield, CT with 2 miles on the odometer. All the panels line up perfectly so it can't be a Friday car : )
    Oh sorry, I needed to know it was an 05. Info I gave was incorrect :(
  • islandpeteislandpete Member Posts: 94
    e2helper, Just to keep you up to speed. Awhile back you advised me to certainly have the fuel gauge problem taken care of(never goes to full on fillup)which causes "Check Gas Cap" chime and message to activate. Taking it in tomorrow and will make them aware of the TSB that addresses a faulty gas tank design as was reported in a previous post. Also, going to have the brake vibration problem looked at and fixed hopefully. Just curious how long they will keep the vehicle. They had it two days if you recall for the air bag light problem that is still working OK :-) e2helper, My 2004 Maxx LT Vin #F244238, I would appreciate any info you can give me on this build date whenever it was:-)Thanks as always ~~ Pete ~~ from Long Island NY.
    Build Date was 6/3/04 - I already had looked it up :)

About 1 1/2 week after that date they were building 2005 model year so you have a very late 2004 model vehicle

No idea on how long they might have the vehicle, sorry. :(