Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    thanks..Im having problems posting it for some reason...they are there on the admin site..but does seem to want to publish..will work on it later this week
    http://home.att.net/~p.oswald/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

Ok try it again all to look at my 04 Maxx LT with the new rubber and rims mounted...prime pic on the front...several more down the photo list...
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    Those are some sharp looking rims and fit your Maxx very well. :o)
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    yeah, they are great. I hope you are saving the old ones just in case, eh??
    Just in case what?..... I have the OEM ones and tires in storage shed now...will put them back on next winter...learned my lesson several years ago...salt, sand and winter road treatments beat up custom rims....even when you are careful and wash them often......sooooo yep..got 'em
    potholes, curbs, locust...that sort of thing
    still have them.....the difference in size shouldnt be that much of a problem for potholes....the locusts may be a different problem......cheers my friend
    What sort of problem do you expect with locusts? (Do they eat low profile rubber off of custom wheels and ignore the higher profile rubber on factory wheels or something? :-o )
    I dunno, but I think we should launch a plague of them on the service managers we're talking about on the other board. Pao: weather getting warmer: I'll be up for a spin to see your new upgrades real soon.
    we can do that..off on a warm weather trip...the caribbean for 10 days....perhaps we can do it after that return.......83 and sunny where Im headed...wink
  • simonesimone Member Posts: 18
    JUST FOUND THIS FORUM AND I THINK IT IS GREAT...I HAVE A 04 MALIBU LT AND AM REALLY ENJOING IT, OVER 28000 MILES SINCE PURCHASE WITH ONLY REPAIR DONE WHICH HAS BEEN WELL NOTED HERE (LOSS OF POWER STEERING)...I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A REPLACEMENT FOR THE SIDE MIRRORS, AND I AM WONDERING IF ANY ONE FEELS THE SAME OR KNOW WHERE TO DIRECT ME FOR A CHANGE...I LIVE IN SO. CALIFORNIA...THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP...
  • firemanjackfiremanjack Member Posts: 123
    Hey sgr..I know this was some time ago; but my '05 Maxx LS with sunroof is noisy as hell..I just took her in this morning for an oil change and tire rotation and mentioned the possibility of a TSB for the wind deflector and was told no such TSB existed. Is this for real..? Jack
    It's for real. I had my wife take the TSB # in with her when she got our head restraints changed out and they ordered the part.
    Thanks fullout..I copied the TSB number from that previous messsage and it was wrong..I'll give him the corrected number.. Adios Jack
    Good catch. I actually printed the whole TSB so I didn't realize that the number from the first post was wrong. I figured taking the entire TSB in would be more useful to our service advisor than just giving him the number.
  • ericw55ericw55 Member Posts: 53
    Hey fulloutpwr,
    Everytime I check Alldata's website, it says 2004 TSB's are not available yet. Am I looking in the wrong place? :confuse:
  • fulloutpwrfulloutpwr Member Posts: 11
    i tried doing it by year too, and i ended up just doing it by when the TSB was posted...you'll have to scan through all the TSB's to see what you qualify for...all there is for the maxx's on there right now is the headrest and sunroof deflector TSB
  • billymaxxbillymaxx Member Posts: 12
    I am interested in installing an aftermarket radio in my '05 Maxx. I found that they sell a adaptor kit to fit a single DIN radio (smaller radio) in the double DIN opening (twice the size of most aftermarket radios) that the factory radio takes up. The only problem is if I did this, I would lose the "trip", "oil life", "fuel range", etc. functions that share the radio's screen. Has anyone come up with a way of keeping the factory screen & function buttons but removing the lower radio buttons (they do not control any of the above mentioned functions) so that an aftermarket radio could be installed? It looks like it would have to be a custom job since the trim around the radio is one piece and would have to be cut in half somehow in order to remove the lower buttons. I hope someone has some ideas.
    -Bill
    not sure that is possible as it is an integrated system.....

E2Helper had some insight into this some time back....
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    It is an integrated unit so it is not possible to separate
  • stevetorontostevetoronto Member Posts: 1
    Would any one know if it is possible to add aftermarket mulit disk CD players to the Malibu's radio. I have the single CD player with the DVD unit in the Console. Would it be possible to bypass the DVD with other units?
    Kurt,

saw you posted on the tire rack for a search for forged wheels for the maxx....I did a lot of research...and sizes are just so limited for the maxx right now with the bolt pattern (5X 110 is hard to find!!) and large offset......forged....are you looking for billets? Just curious..I looked at ever wheel on the TR site that fit the Maxx..and none were forged...I did the research and finally got my wheels and tires from NTB here in northern va....a little higher than TR..but I can reach out and touch someone...and like the NTB tire warranty and lifetime balancing and rotation...abeit a few dollars more for road hazard!!!
  • christinadchristinad Member Posts: 34
    Has anyone used an iPod with a Griffin iTrip in the Maxx? I am still waiting to buy until I find the color, etc. I want, so I haven't been able to test out the transmitter with the antenna in the rear of the car. I would hate to have to keep the iPod out of reach in the back somewhere, losing the control of the interface!
    Any suggestions, comments?
    Thanks!
    has anyone done a dash kit for their maxx yet https://exoticwooddash.com carries kits for the maxx..Im thinking of getting the light burl...(OEM) for the digital AC and radio area....its four pieces.....which covers the grey/black areas.....and matches the synthetic wood pieces already in the car.....any thoughts......you can get the pieces shipped for $36.
    Christina..here is an article i found here on edmunds about it

The most popular and least expensive option is an FM transmitter, such as the Griffin iTrip, which easily plugs into the bottom of the iPod and broadcasts a weak local FM signal carrying your music that is picked up by your car's radio. Priced at an astoundingly reasonable $35, this handy little unit looks like it belongs on the bottom of an iPod and will get the job done if your only goal is to hear the music through your car speakers. However, those who live in urban areas that have a lot of local radio stations will find that the airwaves are pretty crowded, and that the signal is interrupted fairly often. To make matters worse, the benefit of having a player that broadcasts digital quality sound is lost once that signal is allowed to degrade over the airwaves.

it seems this is fm modulation...and it does broadcast for the antenna to pic up..i cut and past this from the girffin technology site which i got from the ipod/apple site

My car stereo antenna is line-of-sight through my back window, and my back window has an integrated defroster in the glass. Will this affect the iTrip?
    Probably not. Most cars with rear window defrosters have thin metal wires about 1-2 inches apart running back and forth across the window. Unlike “woven metal grid” or metal-film windows, these wires are not a major obstacle to the iTrip’s transmitted FM signal. It should work normally.

this review will probably be useful as well..seems it has a 30 ft distance.....so yu shouldnt have any problems!
    http://www.ipoding.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=1-
    Hey pao..I installed a dash kit in my '05 Max LS with 6 disc indash CD; and I used those pieces you mention, just to cover the black plastic around the radio and HVAC controls. I have the grey interior with the brushed aluminum trim and bought the brushed aluminum kit...It fit perfectly and looks really nice..Extremely easy to install..It's made of a thick rubbery soft plastic..in a brushed aluminum color. Delivery was in a few days.. Go for it. Jack
    appreciate it..have have the sand/tan.beige interior on my LT..so will probably match the light burl trim already in the car with the same on the HVAC area, do beleive it will add to the interior of the car.....cheers!
  • dino54dino54 Member Posts: 3
    I see a lot of you are buying after market wheels for your cars but I am looking to replace two of my factory wheels. I have been told by two tire shops that they are bent and need replacing. The dealer says that they were hit but I do not know when. Can anyone help?
    Thanks, Paul,
    In my Taurus, the antenna is at the front of the car, and the closer I hold the iPod to the antenna, the better. Being all the way in the back, even though it says it transmitts 30ft, may cause a little more static. In any event, I'll find a way!
  • 2damaxx2damaxx Member Posts: 12
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned this -- on my 2004 LT 1SB, I use the DC charger in the armrest to power the iPod and plug the rca cables into the rear seat DVD unit. The cables are plenty long to operate the Ipod from the front seat, though it is plugged into the rear. I set the audio system to use the rear signal as the main source and I've got a hardwired connection from the iPod to the stereo. Crystal clear signal, no fade, easy to control. I have no idea what the options are if you don't have a rear DVD.
    2damaxx, you're killing me! Though I would be tempted to pay the nearly 1k for the rear DVD player, I have absolutely no need for it other than to hardwire the iPod. I already see my laptop as an accessory to my iPod, I can't think of my Maxx as such! Great idea, though. Wish that would work for me.
    C
    got the dash kit in today..and installed it....will try to take some pics this weekend and add to my maxx website....just added the pieces around the HVAC and Radio.....adds a touch of elegance to the interior..but not overpowering.....
  • drejdrej Member Posts: 119
    Hi, I didn't get the DVD Player since my kids have a few portables! (actually car came with just the Std CD!)
    Can I get a signal from my kids portableDVD to the Auto Sound through the Headphone jack somewhere? Maybe a quick /adaptor plug in device (male/male) conector from the kids portable device to the Car Stereo would be Great.
    Any Electrical guys out there (of course I have to look into the FM transmitter)
    D~
    Hi~ sorry if this was discussed allready.
    Any leads on where to get a hitch (2" box)
    I just have a bike carrier in the family and want to use it for that.
    I'd hate to have to fabricate one if one allready exists.
    Thanks in advance D~
    Be still my beating heart pao...Hehe..I agree..It eliminates that dullness in that section of the dash. Looking forward to the picture...Jack
    the class 3 hitch is the only one Im aware that comes with at 2 inch mount..there are hitches for the maxx in both class one and two...you can also get an adapter to take it from 1 1/4 to 2 as well....since you are just using it to transport bikes...should be ok..I assume your bike carrier fits into a 2 inch mount....

adapter: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTESearch?storeId=6970&in_dym=1&Nty=- 1&D=than&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=hitch%20adapter&cmnosearch=true&storeId=- 6970&langId=%2D1&cm_ven=PPC&cm_cat=Performics&cm_pla=Google&cm_ite=Google
    drej, to find all the entries where we have talked about the hitch I put on my car, simply type in maxx4me and hitch into the search engine to the left under the search forum and it will bring up all the entries.
    D -

Unfortunately, headphone jacks are meant to flow information one-way (from the signal processor to a speaker -- in this case a speaker inside a headphone). Plugging any type of audio signal, such as the "audio out" on a portable DVD, will not result in the sound coming out of your car stereo, and could conceivably cause damage. As an additional thought, you'd have no way to select the portable DVD as a "source" -- you can choose or cycle between CD, radio and XM, but there is no option to select "headphone jack" as your audio source. :D
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Actually I don't think that is true. The rear seat entertainment system also has RCA input jacks

You can select the Rear Seat Audio system or an auxiliary device plugged into the RCA jacks as the audio source thru the radio.
    E2Helper - You're right, you can plug portable devices into RCA jacks.

However, the question I responded to was "Can I get a signal from my kids portableDVD to the Auto Sound through the Headphone jack?".

The answer to that question, as I wrote, is no. Since my car has the DVD, I didn't know the particulars of the non-DVD system. If there are RCA-in receivers (frequently in red and white or red and yellow), then anyone with the Maxx should be able to use my iPod solution! Buy a 1/8" headphone to stereo RCA cable and you're in business! A hardwired, great-sounding, low hassle way to get your iPod music through the car sound system.
    The problem is that you're mixing up two different questions/posters.
    I understand the response to my question.
    Thx
    Correct, I have the Non-DVD system in my 05 Maxx. These low cost/portable DVD's or CD players would be great to give kids in the back seat and a + if you could pipe the sound into the stereo. (Yes my 95 GMC has a Cassette player in which I use the asapter-cassette pushed ito the player, it has a wire comming out which I plug into the kids DVD headphone jack port) I of course don't have a cassette in the Maxx but is there a way to pipe the sound out to the stereo?
    D~
    http://home.att.net/~p.oswald/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

head to the last four pics in the photo site of the website..to see the dash kit and the wind deflector installed, they are large files so allow to load.....link to the dash kit under links ...accessories on the website...it is the flat interior 4 piece set
    thanks Paul. I was about to mention that your inspection is waaaaay overdue, but I believe I could make out the 06 on the sticker :shades:
    it is an 06 inspection sticker...but thanks.....so how is that grey one holding up......still commuting with the bike rack?
    anyone using one on their Maxx that isnt hitch mounted?.....if so....type make model.....trying to find one that I dont have to mount a tow hitch to use
    yep, still riding in from the toyota dealership. I have the car in right now at Heritage to replace the driver's side strut. We'll see if that silences the squeek. I doubt it. Otherwise, the car made the trip to PA just fine....no deer strikes this time, although I did see a lot on the road. Sadly, my post strike paint job on the hood is not holding up all that well. I see many imperfections, whereas the factory paint job was flawless.
    I need you to explain the dash kit a bit more; didn't you already have the wood trim interior, or was that only down by the gear shifter?
    the only one that was OEM was around the shifter, the strip above the glove compartment and the pieces around the window controls front and back....I added all the facia around the HVAC and the stereo controls..it was four separate pieces.....to prep the surfaces....meaning alcohol swipe to remove anything..installation may have taken five minutes...

I have a few minor imperfections from the clear coat that was reapplied resulting from my accident back last Sept....now that it is sunny....well most of the time..I can really see the imperfections and swirl marks.....when the weather clears...will do my Zanio wax...and clear the swirls....and get the gloss up some more.....but I doubt I will be able to rid the imperfections.....sadly....any repaint is never as good as a factory paint......

I just passed 25k on mine.....nothing major....still all OEM for the steering column and transmission.....and if I have the noise in the front..I honestly dont notice it...still very happy with my Maxx.....heck just made the foray into another new GM car..as have my deposit in for the new Pontiac Solstice roadster.....for the significant other....she said she would give me the Solstice when she needs to shop and would take the Maxx.....LOL....we will see....
    swwwweeeeeet!!! :shades:
This discussion has been closed.