Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• voiceofstlvoiceofstl Member Posts: 8
    Want a great tuner cheap. Get a 3.1 v6 classic malibu and gethe paxton supercharger kit...........$1100 and you'll be burning up all those Hondas.
  • bull_thumperbull_thumper Member Posts: 2
    I just got a Maxx myself and found this while searching the 'Net:

http://www.installer-data.com/item/display_item.php?it=99-3303

It's got a VFD display with three control buttons below the space for an aftermarket radio.

The company that makes it is called Metra. This item is in their PDF catalog on their web site.

http://www.metraonline.com/

For me, the trick will be finding an aftermarket radio that looks nice in there... :shades:
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    wow and the price for that thing is $270..for the mount and computer integration..wonder if it maintains the XM configuration as well.....a bit pricey....just for the mount/bracket.........but I guess if you want the aftermarket radio........it is nice to keep the computer readouts......I have found this sound system is one of the better OEM none upgrades.....Im very happy with it...and probably would only consider upgrading the speakers...at some point and time.....but for now.....cruising with my XM radio..and an occasional CD is fine for me.......

would like to see this bracket installed in a Maxx...and see how it works...would be interesting...
  • bull_thumperbull_thumper Member Posts: 2
    I made the mistake of settling for a Maxx without XM, so I'm stuck using my Roady2 which doesn't work very well with the antenna at the rear. I don't mind the factory radio either, if I could just get an aux input. The dealer told me yesterday that, according to their tech line, it is "impossible" to add XM, OnStar or even the DVD player since they talk with the BCM (body computer module.) Besides an in-line RF-modulator, has anyone discovered any other options?
    just checked over at the xm411.com site for other connectors.....and i dont see a audio input adapter for the Maxx.....it appears the in line FM mod is the only way you can go....

are you currently using one like this?

http://www.myradiostore.us/fmmodulators/fm-direct-sa10112.html
  • madmaxxmadmaxx Member Posts: 44
    I purchased new speakers and a PIE (company acronym) audio adaptor from Crutchfield. The adaptor adds an auxiliary input to the factory radio.

According to the instructions, using the "BAND" button on the radio will allow you to select the auxiliary input--I'm going to use it for my Sony XM receiver.

I installed the rear speakers yesterday, and will be installing the new component front speakers and the adaptor later today.

Will post the results, and if everything works, the adaptor number, etc.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    So which is the weaker link in the sound quality of the audio systems on the Maxx? Is it the head unit or the speakers?
    my vote goes for the speakers..usually most OEM speakers dont compare to aftermarket....but the downside is most aftermarket speakers require greater power output from the headunit for the sound quality to be appreciated..something that pushes some headunits....
    good luck with the adaptor...will be interested to see how it interfaces with the OEM headunit....what speakers did you get to replace the OEMs ....how tough was it to replace the speakers...especially the front one..how much of the interior did you have to take apart to get to the speakers?.....that may be my next upgrade, ........standing by
    The adaptor I purchased is the GM12-AUX v2. Unfortunately, it is 12 pin and Maxx is 24 pin. It says 2004 Malibu, but it must be for the '04 Malibu "Classic"--GM did us no favors by having two 2004 Malibus in the line-up.

PIE (Precision Interface Electronics--www.pie.net), called, they do not have an adaptor.
    I found another adapter-- Peripheral Interface Components #PXGM24-- that is 24 pin and made for GM class 2 RDS factory stereos. It provides 2 sets of RCA inputs. $97 at Sounddomain; will give it a try and post results.

The front speakers were replaced with Blaupunkt TSC 660 components (separate 6.75" bass/mid driver and tweeter. I sealed the crossovers in a plastic bag/bubble plastic and used double sided tape to secure them to the inner door panels. The factory tweeters pop out. Their metal mesh grill is melted into the housing, so I used a soldering gun to heat the plastic and pop them out (the grills on the Blau tweeters are not removable).

The rear door speakers were replaced with Blaupunkt TSx 662's. These are 6.75" two way speakers. You could easily use the Blaupunkt TSC 660's in the rear door panels by mounting the tweeters in "sail" panel of the rear door, just as they are in front.

Everything was purchased at Crutchfield. The Blaupunkt TSC 660 component speakers are on sale for $40 ($70 off reg) and the Blaupunkt TSx 662's are $30 ($20 off). Crutchfield includes wiring adaptors, so you do not have to cut the factory wiring.

Removing the door panels is not difficult. You definitely want to purchase a trim removal tool ($10)--it will save your door panels and retainer clips from damage.

There are three panel clips on the bottom of each door. The front doors also have retainers at spots near the top of the panel, so don't just pop the lower retainers and then attempt to pull the panel up/off like you do on the rear doors.

The factory manual states that you must first remove the front door panels in order to remove the front "sail" panels (where the tweeters are). I found it is was better to use the panel tool to pop the front sail panel, and pull it straight up (but not completely off). By doing so, it would not interfere with pulling the actual door panel up/off.

The front drivers door is the most difficult, because of all its wiring. I think Chevy must build the car upside down, as nearly all the releases for the Molex wiring connecters are on the bottom of the control/switch. Do the other panels first, that way you'll have an idea of what to expect. Having a helper would also make it easier.

As long as I had the panels off, I added insulation inside the door. I used "Gutter Repair Tape" $13 for a 6" x 25' roll at Lowes. This is a rubberized asphalt tape with super sticky adhesive on one side and aluminum foil on the other. It is 1mm thick, and I built it up to 2-4 millimeters in thickness inside the door.

Definitely quieted the car down, and does not stink like using spray-on undercoating. I used a total of three rolls for all four doors, and have some left over. There is enough clearance inside the doors to easily double the thickness if you wanted to.

Bottom line-the speakers are an improvement. No, they do not sound like $200 Infinity Reference speakers, but at $70 for all four, they are worth it. Much more accurate, better bass/midrange/highs than the stock speakers (which, by the way, are paper cones).

As noted by another poster, an amplifier would make them come "alive"--my new speakers sound best at half volume and above. Will add an amplifier later.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    maddmaxx, thanks for the info on your speaker install. sounds like a set of decent aftermarket speakers definitely would make a difference in our Maxx, as it did in yours.

It's good to know the Maxx's amp/head unit is decent enough that the better speakers are noticed. I've got an Isuzu Trooper and installed some Polk 2-way speakers in place of the stock speakers, and the quality was barely any better than stock - I think because the head unti must be junk.
    The Peripheral Interface Components #PXGM24 Molex connectors will not connect to the factory stereo.

Although a 24pin unit, the connectors are "keyed" opposite the factory wiring harness. I considered cutting the wiring on the adaptor, turning it over 180 degrees, and reconnecting the wires.

As there was no guarantee that the adaptor would work, even with the correct connector, so, with $100 on the line, I chickened out and returned the adaptor to CarDomain.com.

Personally, I think with the correct Molex connector, the adaptor probably would work. If there is anyone who has access to Molex connectors, are knows how to disassemble/reassemble the connector, this might be a interesting project.

--MadMaxx--
  • drejdrej Member Posts: 119
    Hi, Well I'm still looking for that Auxiliary device which will connect the kids DVD to the car stereo somehow for sound. Any Ideas out there? ~ D
  • sschribersschriber Member Posts: 89
    Any store with electronics will have an "FM Transmitter". Usually battery powered, it plugs in the headphone or audio jack of the DVD and can be picked up at the selected frequency on the FM Stereo Radio. I have read some previous strings about signal strength and the rear end location of the Maxx antenna. I saw one at Target last week for $19.95. They go on e-bay for $5 plus shipping.
  • billbbillb Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for your post. I did get XM. The sound quality is OK on XM. It is OK on CD It is not good on FM though I don't listen to that much anymore. I would like to just replace the speakers for better sound and not have to replace the entire deck and driver information center.

Can I just replace the 4 door speakers and leave the door tweaters alone? Would replacing the tweaters make a big difference if I had 4 good speakers? Are all 4 door speakers 6.75 round? What size are the tweaters? Do I need any extra parts for the speaker replacement? I have replaced speakers in all my cars before and it was easy but it sounds like the Maxx may be a little harder. Finally, do I get the trim tool at a dealer or at any auto store?

Thanks in advance.
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    Does NTB have a web site?
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    he, he...that is the website. Just add .com
    NTB site referred me to BIG O tires out here on west coast. O web site completely useless for wheels. Local O store did have listing for forged wheels for the Maxx, but only in ugly chrome - pity.
    no luck on the tirerack website?..I selected mine there..though not forged..and purchased them thru NTB
    would be reducing unsprung mass and improving ride/handling. Doubt any other aftermarket cast wheel will be much better than what is on Maxx now.

At least Maxx has aluminum suspension arms which already helps.

Forged would reduce unsprung weight, but very few for Maxx right now. As for chrome wheels, in LA CA they'll yell "Yo take me home!" to the Maxx passerbys.
    understand...Im happy with the new ones that I chose back in March...have 12K on them now and have enjoyed the wider tire and stance it provides........good luck in your search....
  • maxxolivermaxxoliver Member Posts: 78
    I like the dash kit however I went to the web site and they show the kit for one with a single disc player. The panel is very different. How did you get the one for your stereo? I also have a six disc player.
    I only have the single disc CD Player....do you have the digital readout HVAC system? or the standard one which uses the turn knobs to adjust temp?? the four piece set that exoticwooddash is offering is for the digital readout AC controls....the picture they show on the layout shows the standard AC controls, which is not the correct pic for that set.....
    I have the digital readout AC controls.
    then the 4 piece set will work..that is the one I ordered.....make sure you ask for OEM match..believe it is light burlwood..but they can look it up..you can see it installed on my maxx website....just scroll back a some to find it..pics posted of the inserts
    Saw your pics several times very nice.Thanks for the info.
  • maxxdbassmaxxdbass Member Posts: 1
    No need to relocate your factory stereo to enjoy the great sound of an aftermarket. I found a kit by Metra that solves our problems. It gives you the message center built into the new mounting bracket and has space for a standard sized aftermarket radio. I found the item at Installer.com for $269.95.

I just wish I had a job so I could buy one.....

~ maxxdbass
    BillB-

All the speakers use the 6.75" size. You do not have to replace the front tweeters if you do not want to, but they would not be sonically matched to your new main speakers, and would receive the full frequency signal from the head unit. Component speaker sets include a crossover, so only the tweeter receives the high frequency signal, and therefore a much improved sound.

I would recommend you replace the front door speakers with component speakers, including replacing the factory tweeters. It takes just a few minutes to remove the factory tweeters, and the improvement is very noticible--the crossovers really help.

If I was to do it again, I would install the same Blaupunkt component speakers in both the front AND the rear doors. It would be a simple matter of just drilling a hole in the rear door "sail" panels to feed the cable through, and then just surface mount the tweeter. The tweeters are the standard 1.5" size.

The installation is pretty easy. Don't know about other retailers, but Crutchfield includes a wiring adaptor with each set of speakers they sell, so you do not have to cut or splice into the factory wiring. No other parts are needed for the installation.

The trim tool is not required, but really makes removing the panel easier, and without damage to it or the fastner. For $10 you'll save yourself a lot of aggravation and possible damage to the door/door panel/fastner. Trim tools are available at auto parts stores, and from Crutchfield. Once you use the proper tool, you'll never use screwdrivers to remove the panels again.
  • woodywhackswoodywhacks Member Posts: 1
    Where can you get the Paxton supercharger kit?
  • christinadchristinad Member Posts: 34
    Paul,
    I see on your dash kit pics that your Maxx has a little black clip that can hold a picture of something. Before buying my Maxx, I was excited about this tiny feature because I had an idea of what I wanted to go there. My 05 doesn't have this clip? Did they do away with them in 05? Anyone know?
    yep, I think they had to eliminate it when they put the rear wiper on/off button there; sorry.
  • dino54dino54 Member Posts: 3
    I was wondering if you have or know of anyone who has any OEM wheels available? I have two bad wheels and I can not find replacements anywhere? The other option is to get aftermarket but like others have noted the selection is limited. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    well, I hate to say it, but there has to be someone who owned an '04 Malibu who has been in a devistating crash. Check your largest local junk yard. They have connections to the national network. You'll probably find the wheels there.
    you dealer cant order the wheels...or are you looking for other that dealer prices?...I have a complete set..but will be putting them back on my maxx this winter..and taking the aftermarket ones back off...to prevent damage by the salt and sand from winter driving..
  • billbbillb Member Posts: 14
    MadMaxx - Thank you for the advice on speakers. I went with Alpine SPS-170A in the back and the same component speakers in the front. A local retailer (Myer Emco) has them at half off right now.

They do sound better than the stock speakers as the highs are better but there is still room for improvement. A new head unit would really improve things but you have to give up the driver information center and spend a lot of money to make a new unit fit. I need more clean volume as the stock head unit distorts at higher volume. An amp might help but the stock head unit processing may not be as clean as an aftermarket unit and I may just end up just pushing more distorted sound through the speakers. I will drive this for a while and see.

The component tweaters were difficult to install as they were larger than the stock tweaters. I had to use a Dremel to remove the plastic holders for the old tweaters and then hot melt the new ones in. .
  • drejdrej Member Posts: 119
    Hello , has anyone ? had success with a nice Roof Rack &/or rooftop Carrier
    ??? for the MAXX? Where to get? I imagine it is the same for a malibu sedan? I would even opt for 1 that breaksdown or is temporary since I would only need on those long family vacations. Thanks in advance? D~
    BTW- I bought a hitch and will be installing soon after some other mods to it
  • cwesleygcwesleyg Member Posts: 64
    Saris has a nice looking roof-rack... [http://www.saris.com/] Their load bars are the best looking I've seen and I'm sure they make bracket ends that will work with a Maxx. I've had mine for 15 years. I bought brackets for the two cars I had at the time I ordered it, and one of those has worked with all the vehicles I've owned since. Just watch your increased ride height... had to have body work done after a Jimmy Buffet concert in 2000. Ouch! That really harshed my mellow... young and stupid with a stale buzz didn't help...
  • jtalbertsjtalberts Member Posts: 2
    When looking at the size of the radio, it looks like a double din to me. When I go on Crutchfield, it tells me that dual din units will not fit.

Anyone know for sure?
  • redmaxxredmaxx Member Posts: 627
    No, double-DIN radios won't fit. It looks like from Crutchfield, DIN sizes IE and IEJ will fit. Double-DIN is common on Japanese cars.
    Hey Pao I purchased and installed the dash kit and I love it. I have gotten great responses from all who have seen it including the salesman at the dealership. I have an 05 Galaxy Silver LT Maxx and the wood look really adds to the radio. It breaks up all the gray, black and silver. Also got the wind deflector installed by the dealer last month. Thanks for the info and sharing your pics. :)
    great...I do think the kit adds something to the interior look and definitely breaks up the bland look of the console...glad I could help out....enjpy
  • mdennishmdennish Member Posts: 16
    i wish to replace the tires on my new maxx, i want tires that improve grip,handling,and hopefully quieter, any suggestions will be appreciated. thanks,DENNIS
  • aladdin_sanealaddin_sane Member Posts: 5
    I'm interested in improving the performance of my 2004 Malibu LS. I don't want to risk voiding the warranty or go to too much effort. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on what I could do. It doesn't look like there is a cold air intake for this car yet, so I am considering buying the K&N air filter replacement. Will this have a significant impact on performance or fuel economy? How much hp shoud I expect to gain, if any? Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    you will find a lot of good advice on the edmunds tire page. I have purchased the Firestone Dayton Daytona H rated tires for two of my cars. They are directional tires, and are the best I've ever owned. I can't wait to put them on my Maxx; assuming my OEM tires will wear out. They are the best OEM tire (not the best tire, but the best OEM) I have ever encountered.
  • willscarywillscary Member Posts: 21
    I used K & N filters in my last 3 vehicles. My wife's Olds 88, my 3/4 ton Chevy Pickup, and my Chevy Prizm. The K & N SEEMED to give me a bit more power. The mileage ONLY increased if I drove the vehicle hard. In other words...normal, easy commuter driving yielded the same mileage with the K & N as the OEM filter did. I only got better mileage if I drove the vehicle hard, and then the mileage was worse than when I babied it.

The K & N creates a larger sound. You can hear the motor sucking air, much like running the motor with no air cleaner at all. It is kind of sporty sounding.

I no longer use the K & N filters. With the OEM filters (always used AC Delco) my oil would get a bit brown when time for a change. After using the K & N filters for a few months, I noticed that my oil was jet black...and almost sludge like. I realized that the reason the this was happening was the filter. The K & N was less restrictive because it was not filtering as well.

After switching back to AC Delco filters, it took well over a year for each vehicle to clean itself out and stop producing black oil. I can only imagine the damage and unnecessary wear I caused those motors.

I started reading posts at various auto sites, and found that many people have killed their MAF sensors by using these filters. If a dealership finds one on your vehicle, it will void the warranty. These types of filters use a media that is soaked in oil. As air is drawn through it, this oil is collected by the air and sucked into the air intake. Over time, it coats the MAF sensor and ruins it. The oil also carries small particles of the dirt that is supposed to be stopped by the filter. This oily dirt gets into the motor.

I gave up on K & N about 3 years ago. Although 2 of these vehicles were still driveable with over 175,000 miles on each, they were not well running machines. All of my other vehicles have gone MUCH farther without becoming as rough, hard to start, and sluggish as all 3 of these vehicles became. (We still own the Olds 88, and it is nowhere's near what it used to be.
  • aladdin_sanealaddin_sane Member Posts: 5
    Wow, thanks for the warning. I guess the best thing to do is to just keep changing the stock air filter regularly. Do you know if a cold air intake would cause the same problems as the K&N filter? It sounds like it would, since it would probably be more permeable to dust and dirt, same as the K&N. Thanks again for your help.
  • redmaxxredmaxx Member Posts: 627
    I highly recommend that you do not put directional tires on the Malibu. I did (Goodyear Assurance TripleTread) and it made it pull really badly. They did all kinds of swapping and replacing and couldn't get it to track straight. I now have Goodyear Assurance ComforTread and they are great. Improved handling (a little bit anyway), better cornering, much quieter and they really improve the ride.
    well, given the problems posted here about dealers not knowing how to properly align the '04-'05 Malibu, I'm not convinced it had anything to do with directional tires. Hopefully the "they" who swapped your directional tires did not mount them with the arrow pointing towards the rear of the car, which would certainly alter the ride and bearing of the car.
  • willscarywillscary Member Posts: 21
    I would think that any cold air intake that uses an oiled media as a filter would create the same results as the K & N filters. If you search the web, you will find scores of real life gains using K & N type filters. These gains are minimal, however, in all but the most spirited of driving. I really thought they would help my mileage and performance, but now I wish I wouldn't have ever installed them. You may have different results...I'm just one guy. I do know for a fact, however, that AC Delco filters have been proven in several different tests to filter better than the other filters out there.
    I hvae directional tires on my Maxx...upgraded to 17 inch..>Avon MS550 All Seasons...and have no problems with them....Im convinced that most issues are improper alignment of the maxx and zeroing.calibrating the electronic steering again as part of the alignment......41K on my Maxx....23K on these tires...and no problems at all..rotating every 10K....no pull and even wear on all four....no alignment issues at all
This discussion has been closed.