Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra OWNERS: Rate your truck!

devil1devil1 Member Posts: 74
edited March 2014 in Toyota
I've heard about a few problems (some major, some
minor) with the new Tundra. If you are a Tundra
owner, please rate your experience as follows:

* = Horrible
** = Below Average
*** = Average
**** = Above Average
***** = Excellent

In categories:

1. Owner Satisfaction (Are you happy with it?)
2. Reliability (so far)
3. Fit & Finish (Build quality, any quirks?)
4. Overall score
5. Comments

I am debating between the Tundra and the Tacoma or
Nissan 4-door. I was really leaning towards the
Tundra until I heard all these problems.

This will give future buyers an idea of what they
are getting into.

THANKS!

Comments

• rs_pettyrs_petty Member Posts: 423
    1.*****
    2.*****
    3.*****
    4.*****
    5.*****
    While I think there are a lot of good trucks out there, I'm 5 Star with mine.
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    are those stars or space invaders.
  • devil1devil1 Member Posts: 74
    PLEASE No posts like #2, we are trying to get real feedback here. We are looking for Tundra owners and their experiences to see what to expect.

Also, Please list what model Tundra you have (ie: Limited 4WD Access Cab)
  • redfox1redfox1 Member Posts: 42
    I received my Tundra on 25 May 1999. On the side panel it had a manufacturing date of 4/99. I have a 4X4 V-8 Access Cab with a number of additions. If you want that info, I can furnish it. After purchase, I purchased a Snug Top Lid and a Toyota dash cover. As of about a week ago, I have just over 9100 miles at an average of 17.17 MPG.I have had two oil changes and a tire rotation. In the eight months plus that I have had my Tundra, I have had no vibration or any other problem with my truck. When I first drove a Tundra the first week of April, I was impressed with the quietness, road smoothness and comfort. I had been driving Ford F-150's since 1983 and had put over 300,000 thousand miles on 5 different F-150's, so I did have previous experience with pickups. All I can say is when I first drove the Tundra, I was thoroughly impressed and gave a down payment that day. In conclusion, I am still thoroughly impressed and have not once regretted my decision.
  • bud_light_dudebud_light_dude Member Posts: 330
    Great to hear you love your truck. Can you tell us anything about the mechanical design? How does the dohc, 32 valve design advantage or disadvantage the other truck makes and designs. How about the ignition? Does your Tundra have direct coil iginition, dis ignition, or ? How about the fuel delivery? Does the Tundra have a throttle body type injection or multiport? Does the Tundra have a fuel rail?

If you don't know these simple basic things, you may want to pick up a copy of Consumer Reports. Seems that most Toyota Tundra owners go there to get all there superiority information.
  • arkie6arkie6 Member Posts: 198
    I have a Tundra Access Cab SR5 4x4 V8 with the Limited wheels and tires. Truck was manufactured 1/7/00 and I purchased it 1/14/00 (ordered with my desired options). I currently have about 1750 miles. I have had no problems whatsoever. I would rate the truck 5 stars in all areas except the rear seat back and the fuel mileage (I'm getting about 14.5-16.5 on trips of less than 20 miles around town).

To bud light dude: Does it pain you so that we Tundra owners so enjoy our truck?

Regarding the Tundra engine design question: The 4.7L V8, which is nearly identical to the ones used in the 1998-2000 Landcruiser and Lexus LX470, uses direct coil-on-plug ignition, it has multiport fuel injection, and it has a fuel rail. Not sure about that "dis" ignition. Did you mean distributor? If so, no. Regarding the 32 valve question, the Toyota 4.7L V8 makes more torque than any of the similar sized domestic V8s, and more HP than all but the 4.8 Chevy (Chevy 4.8L, 255 HP, 285 Torque; Toyota 4.7L, 245 HP, 315 Torque).

And BLD, please give that condescending attitude a rest. It's getting very old.
    Engine pulp...... Don't they stamp that on the outside of the engine crates?

I think I will hold on to my inferior Silverado. At least until a few more Tundra's self destruct. Then I will want to rush and join the crowd of Tundra Engine Pulp ownership.

Good luck on this one now.
    You are a total idiot. This is your problem:

I forgot if you own a Ford or a Chevy, but whatever you own it's one of the two. The Toyota Tundra came out and you are MADLY jealous that you bought your truck and then the Toyota came out. So you cut down every possible problem with the Tundra, and act like anything wrong with the Chevy is "just them yuppies". Give me a break. It's obvious your jealous or else you wouldn't have to mudsling the whole time. Take your 80 or 30 year old as* to another website, as I am getting real sick of your stupid comments. (They were kinda funny at first with the hillbilly accent, but now they are very old). Plus, this message board is for TUNDRA OWNERS ONLY if you can't read, so I assume you must of bought a Tundra.

Get the hell out of here now you hear?
  • webspinnerwebspinner Member Posts: 1
    In fact I have it on good authority that he is a
    professor at a prestigious SC university in fact I have a quote from a friend of his, AL who says -Now there's a good ol' boy (probably a college prof putting us on) who has never posted anything worthwhile. Good luck on this one now!-

• barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    check out www.wardsauto.com they have the 10 best engines for under $50000. sorry toyota 4.7 a little to soft for a truck, maybe it be more for a car.
    Sorry, but I cannot get the www.wardsauto.com link above to work. I keep getting a Dr. Watson error. Not having seen the article or know much about wards, I cannot comment.

The 4.7L V8 in the Tundra seems to be a sweet engine to me and it suits my needs (I don't work out of it, I use it to get to and from work, as well as chores around my small cattle operation - 52 acres owned + 69 acres leased - and hunting and fishing). Time will tell on reliability, but the engine has been in the Landcruiser and Lexus LX470 for over 2 years with no recalls or TSBs that I can find.
  • tmwilkinson1tmwilkinson1 Member Posts: 13
    1. Owner Satisfaction *****
    2. Reliability *****
    3. Fit & Finish *****
    4. Overall score *****
    5. Comments

I have a Tundra Access Cab SR5 4X4 V8. I have 2000 miles on it so far. Since I will use the truck only 5% of the time for towing and hauling, I wanted a truck that handled and rode well when used the other 95% of the time. The truck is amazingly quiet and the ride is the best of the 1/2 ton pickups I tried.

The rear seat is perfect for my 5 y.o. and 9y.o. children - in fact they prefer riding in the truck. I have had six footers in the back for short distances with no complaints - I just slide the seat forward when they are back there. It seems to have about the same room as the Ford and less than the Chevy. The truck is just the right size for my needs.

The fit and finish is superb. I have had zero problems with rattles, squeeks or vibrations. One problem is that the front doors have to be open pretty wide in order to open the rear doors - tough to do when you are in a tight parking space, but this has rarely been a problem.

The engine runs like a watch and has plenty of power. The transmission shifts so smoothly that sometimes I can't tell that it has shifted.

The Access cab has a large blind spot on the driver's side. I have heard that putting a wide angle spot mirror on the driver's side fixes this.

The 4 wheel antilock brakes work very well and unobtrusively.
    You got me! You figured me out! I kept on reading CR and now I am brainwashed to think that my silverado is inferior to your Tundra. WHAT COULD I HAVE BEEN THINKING?

I am now secretly looking to replace my inferior Silverado truck with one of them smaller, exploding valvetrain Tundra's I read in CR about. Thanks CR for setting me straight on how much more reliable the Tundra is!
  • capt2capt2 Member Posts: 57
    9400 miles on v8 4x4 access cab, not a single problem, don't care how the engine works...only that it does.
    I was reading some reviews on the Full size trucks, and here is what they gave them (1-5 where 5 is the best)

Reliability only:
    Ford - 4
    Chevy - 4
    Dodge - 4
    Toyota - 3

Now my question is this:
    How would they know that the Toyota is a "3" for average on reliability when it is essentially a new model. I guess it has been almost a year (or has it), enough time for feedback. I am surprised that it got this rating. However, it was just some site on the internet.

CR's report was as follows:

Ford - Above average 2WD, Average 4WD
    Chevy - Below Average
    Dodge - Well Below Average
    Toyota - Not enough info.

One of the main reasons I would buy a Tundra is because of the reliability Toyota has consistently shown throughout the years. I am slightly concerned from reading some of the posts of the problems people have been having. But then I think that these are just a few select cases here, and most people seem pleased. Many time when an entirely new model comes out there are some glitches that are fixed usually next model year or inbetween even. In fact the Mercedes SUV came out with one of the worst reliability of ANY SUV initially, and now I see it is rated very high.

This is why I am asking about Tundra reliability problems.

I just have a hard time purchasing a Dodge or Chevy because of stories I have heard. Maybe the new ones are much better, but I still think Toyota will prove to be the most reliable ..
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    devil1,

With that info that you provided, it sounds like that the Ford is the best buy.
    Well at least your honest about what you find. However, the few problems that you speak of about the Tundra equate to about the same as the new model year problems with the Silverado if you look at the sales ratios of problems to trucks sold.

Never trust ANY magazine survey for accurate info. I don't care if my mom writes the story, I still wouldn't give it a second look of any kind of authority.

As far as the Tundra, I give you a bit of credit for not being like most Tundra owners who state that their Tundra is factually more reliable because of Toyota's past repuation for reliability, even though the Tundra has only been on the market for about 8 months.
  • krobertson1krobertson1 Member Posts: 18
    At this point in my experience with the Tundra in all the areas you mentioned in #1:

1. *
    2. *
    3. **
    4. **

I think when you talk about bad experience in other areas, you are probably talking about mine (Topic #1060 - Tundra experiences). As far as comments, at this point I'm not real pleased. However, I am happy for everyone else that is having a enjoyable experience. Sounds like RS Petty has had a great one so far (I'm jealous).

How prevalent these problems, that I'm having, is hard to say. How many of these people would use a computer to share their experiences in these particular chat rooms. And how many of these people would be completely honest (so others may benefit - at the expense of embarrassment).

I think what is boils down to is this. You have to take the chance if it feels right (the rest of us did - except for Mr. BLD). You are always taking a chance with a new model, but remember, the Silverado is a new model too. I thought I did my research very well preceeding my purchase, yet here I am. You might want to wait to find out how my experience ends (which I will post in topic #1060). I hope this is helpful.
  • ferris47ferris47 Member Posts: 131
    with all the bells and whistles.

So far I would have to give it 5 stars for everything but reliability. I have had no problems whatsoever but I don't like to make sweeping comments on reliability until at least a year or two into a vehicle or I get hit or something. So far lets say 4 stars for reliability because up to this point 5000 miles it runs like a charm and I have had none of the other problems mentioned.

A bit of advice, I think if you go for the Tundra you probably have a better than average chance of getting a good one. I mean you could get a lemon with any of the makes but from the people I have talked to 90% of them have good ones.

If you consider the Silverado, I would wait until the 01 model year. This is probably the second best personal use pickup on the market but they seem to be having more bugs carrying over into the 2000 model year. I am confident they will be worked out by 01.

Don't know how reliable the Nissan is from a real world exp. only by rep. The Tacoma has some pretty grim crash scores on the side but the people I know who own them love them. Don't get the 4 cyl. If you are looking for a personal use pickup hold out for the Tacoma Crew cab. It looks just as attractive as the Dakota crew cab.

Well that is my 2 cents. Hope it was helpful info.
  • nusinknusink Member Posts: 12
    Let me share my Tundra story. I really was not in the market for a full size truck. I bought a Ranger extra cab with V-6 auto. I drove it for 150 miles and ABSOLUTELY HATED IT!!! Transmission always hunting for a gear, bed 3/4" out of alignment, truck leaned to the left almost 1", rattles in the back. Thank goodness the dealer rolled back the deal. Bought a 4X2 Access cab SR5 w/ V-8 and most of the options. The truck is FLAWLESS!! I went over the vehicle with a microscope! I simply can not find anything wrong. Ride, build quality, dealer experience, the works!! Perfect 5's straight across the board. It's as quiet as a Camry going down the road. Yes, it does not get the small truck gas mileage, but I feel much safer driving it around. Check out the NHTSA web site. Consumer complaints are 4 to one in favor of Tundra vs Big 3. Recalls, technical service bulletins, defect investigations are also 4 to one in favor of Toyota vs big 3. I don't sell Toyota's. I'm just a real picky consumer who would have dumped this truck after 150 miles if I didn't like it. If you are in the market for a V-8 truck, don't hesitate for one moment to but a Tundra! I still get a big kick out of starting the motor. It ROARS to life! I look at the tachometer thinking the engine is over revving just to find out it peaks at 1400 RPM on start up. Every time I start it I catch myself saying "Damn, this is a powerful vehicle!!" I still have not put my foot into it yet. All I know is the car magazines say that my Tundra can out run my Mercedes 230 SLK from zero to sixty. (how depressing - The SLK cost twice as much as the Tundra) I don't know who this guy is slamming the Tundra so hard. He obviously has not spent much time driving one!
    Glad you like your Truck.
  • krobertson1krobertson1 Member Posts: 18
    Please see my comments in topic #1060. I hope this never happens to any of you guys (or girls).

Good luck to all!!
    Very sorry to hear about your troubles. Unfortunitely you can get a lemon no matter what you buy. I hope Toyota does the right thing by you with as little pushing from you as possible.
    Good luck.
  • mvelamvela Member Posts: 5
    7k miles on my 4x4 ltd with no problems this is a great truck for me. I feel this truck is more of a mid size with full size capabilities (bed,tow,engine,etc.) which meets all my needs. Enough cab room for my 4 and 2 year old kids and enough bed space to put a 4x6 sheet of plywood in the back with no problem. If your looking for a everyday truck with comfort and dependability this may be your truck, if your looking for industrial strength and size I would go with a f350 or similar.
  • pchengpcheng Member Posts: 162
    LTD 4WD Access V8 w/ Captain and Leather.
    1. 5
    2. 5
    3. 5
    4. 5

I have 8000 miles on it and love this truck. I have absolutely no vibration, brake, problems whatsoever. The only problem I had was my door would un-lock on the freeway. I called the dealership, and they said they were aware of the problem. I took my truck in, and they fixed it (new latches - I think). It wasn't a big deal, and they were already aware of the problem and had a fix (they changed the oil while I had the truck at the dealership, so it wasn't like a special trip or anything). Other than that, it has been a GREAT truck. I have two kids (3 and 1)who loves riding in the back, and it's easier to get them in and out of their seats than our Camry.

To BLD: I chose this truck because I really liked the design of the wishbone front suspension, rack n pinion steering, and the use of stainless steel waterpump shafts. Although some people wouldn't like it, I personally like the way the throttle is connected to the throttle body (it isn't: it's connected to a potentiometer (sic), and the throttle is controlled by the ECU). I think the Toyota has the right idea of a large bore long intake track to balance the power/torque and maintain the use of regular unleaded. I looked into the concept of direct ignition and think this is the way to go. It's a little more expensive to have 8 small (cheaper) coils, than one large coil, but it make sense. A coil only fires 1/8 of the time of the single coil, and has a little more time to re-charge.

As far as the driveline (I knew that it used Tacoma parts). I had a old Toyota PU that I abused for 140,000 miles. And the only parts I purchased for it were tires, shocks, brakes and a one battery 3 days before I traded it in. With all the abuse, I never had a driveline problem. In fact, in all the years I've been around Toyota's (in general) I have never seen a broken driveline on a Toyota PU (or Tacoma). So to me it wasn't an issue.

BLD: Let me know if you want more info as to why I like the engineering of this truck.
  • mdw1000mdw1000 Member Posts: 171
    Did those of you who bought a Tundra (I have a Silverado) really want/need a full size truck, or more of a mid-size? I've looked at a few Tundra's, and they all seemed to be in the compact to midsize category to me.

Don't mean to rip on your truck... well yeah I guess I do - a little friendly rivalry never hurt anyone! I just can't see myself getting a Japanese truck - pickups are an American thing, or they should be, in my humble opinion.

In spite of my ribbing here, I am actually serious about my question and curious about what you guys have to say.
    Ya I guess your right, the Tundra is now a compact truck. I think it's just slightly smaller than the Tacoma. In fact, I think the Tacoma makes the Tundra look like a sub-compact truck.

What are you talking about??

The Tundra is a "compact" FULL SIZE TRUCK.

It seems nowadays bigger is simply better (ie: Suburban, Excursion, etc.)

Who wants to drive around a monster tank?? Not me, I would like to be able to park and get out of the car without smashing my door into the car next to me. C'mon, the Tundra's back seat is probably too small for full size adults, but it's great for kids, and the front seats have more legroom than any of the full size trucks. The only thing you can complain about is the backseat room. If you are going to be riding in the backseat all the time then don't buy it. However, I plan to be in the driver's seat when I get mine.
    Has GM got those 4 doors figured out on them extended cabs yet?

I'm single with no kids and mainly use the back of the extended cab for toting stuff like hunting and fishing gear, luggage, groceries, etc. and having that 4th door on the drivers side is really handy. When I was looking at purchasing a truck, GM still did not have the 4th door available. So that left me with Ford and Toyota (sorry Dodge, but I really don't care for that look). The difference between the Ford F150 and Tundra backseat was negligable. After driving the Ford and Toyota, I felt that the Toyota was the better of the two.
    Size wasn't really an issue with me. I looked at the GMC Serria (no 4th door), F150 and Ram. The difference in size wasn't an issue for the stuff I carry (motorcycles). It wasn't like the extra volume of bark I would haul would make a difference to me. Maybe if I were paid by the amount of peat moss I hauled it would be a different story, but as long as I could get my motorcycles in the back, I didn't really care.

The size is kinda deceptive. When I drove the other three, the cab appeared larger. Alot of the feel in size was because the front wind shield was so much farther away, and the seats were larger. I'm not a big person (5'6, 150lb) so the large seat reminded me of sitting in my Dad's Lincoln. Maybe if I were over 6'2 and 240lb I would think differently.
    No. No more questions for you. You sound like you know about mechanics. Unfortunately, you are among a group of owners that I have only found 1 other posting here that wasn't full of [non-permissible content removed] and knew anything about mechanical designs to back up their preference.

Still don't think the Tundra has any significant advantage, if any over the Silverado, but I am glad you like it all the same....:)

Some respect bestowed upon you.......
    Gee thanks for the respect (thing) ... I think. Personally, I didn't buy my truck to gain the respect of others. The fact that I was intrigued with the Tundra's engineering was really a MINOR factor in my decision to buy the truck.

I don't think there is any significant advantage. In fact, I don't think it's a competition. It's a truck. If you like the Siverado, good for you. I almost bought the GMC counter part. But engineering didn't have anything to do with why I chose the Tundra. If I based all my buying decisions on how things are engineered, I'd lead a pretty (make that VERY) boring life (you're not married or have kids; are you?)

I've said it before, people make their buying decisions based on their experiences. If we get some good advise from reading posts on the web, we may be inclined to use the web to help our decisions. On the contrary, if we get some bad advice off the web, we would be inclined to dis-believe anything we read. Much is the same with this reliability ballyhoo (sic). If someone has had good experience (or even knew someone who he/she trusted that had a good experience) with a particular manufacturer, then that person would be inclined to buy that product.

I buy a lot of Craftman tools. I have Craftman power saws and drill that I inherited that still run like new. In fact I just ordered a new handle assembly for a +20 yr old saw off the web on the Sears web site. To me, Craftman tools are awesome. I have a friend who is just as devoted to Black and Decker. Is there an engineering advantage? I don't know, I don't care. He's still a friend.

To make a long story short, it all comes down to personal preference. If you try to understand it, you will make yourself crazy. It's not a race (as much as magazines would like to make you think). It's a truck.
  • tp4unctp4unc Member Posts: 437
    Ditto.
    Well, again, I agree with you and have had that stance in the beginning. However, your counterpart Tundra owners don't share the same objectivity that you do.

tp4unc has been one of the biggest domestic bashers. His last post is about as hypocritical as it gets.
    So, what has been YOUR experience with the Toyota Tundra? Since you are posting in this topic now, I have to assume you own one. I thought you traded that Chevy in on the Dodge....since you were posting in the Tundra vs. Dodge topic fairly frequently at one time. You seem to be extremely indecisive with your truck choices but it appears that you have finally settled for the right truck. I wish you well with the Yota.
    Not likely, oh clueless one. Don't you have a college ooorah frat party to attend? Maybe a date with Gidget at the beach? That Tundra will fit right in with that crowd.
    No frats for me. College was a good while ago.

My wife put a stop to all of my dates with Gidget on the beach.
    What's this, civility????

Can't be. I guess if you can change, I can change. Rocky did in movie #4.....:)
  • mviglianco1mviglianco1 Member Posts: 283
    If I had to choose between life "On the Farm" with a Chevy and partying with Gidget on the beach in a Tundra I would have to choose the latter no matter whatt I think of the trucks. Beach + Gidget + party over Mud + Hogs + plowing anyday.
  • truckguytruckguy Member Posts: 15
    When I bought my Tundra I knew that the truck was about 3" narrower than the Ford's and Chevy's. However, since I intended to get captains chair regardless of whose truck I bought, and therefore was not going to sit three across the front seat, the 3" became meaningless. As far as the back seat goes, it's unlikely that I'll ever have 3 adults sit in the back regardless of whose truck I bought, so again the 3" inches is meaningless. The back seat of the Tundra is more than adequate for three children.

I also knew that the bed of the truck was 2" shorter and that the overall width of the bed was 2.5" shorter. However, as long as I can put a 4x8 piece of plywood flat on the floor of the bed, then that's good enough for me. (The distance between the wheelwells on the Tundra is 49.3").

I also knew that the depth of the bed is about 2" less. However, since I don't fill the cargo box of the truck to the brim with anything, then that 2" doesn't matter to me either.

In the end, I bought the truck that met my needs and that I LIKED the best. Performance, handling, ride, quietness, comfort, perception of the quality of materials used, fit and finish, and perception of potential reliability were factors that went into deciding what I liked best. I was also impressed by the technical aspects of the truck that pcheng so aptly described, however this alone was not, and should not be the sole basis for any purchase.

If my needs included something that the Tundra could not meet but the Ford F-150 and Chevy Silverado could have(example, towing beyond 7,200 lbs), then I would have purchased my second choice in trucks, the Ford F-250 SD CC with the Triton V-10.
  • mdw1000mdw1000 Member Posts: 171
    Just curious what actual owners thought about them, their reasons, etc.
  • t100toddt100todd Member Posts: 16
    I own a white 4x4 SR5 V8 Access Cab Tundra with the "Off Road Package" tires and wheels. MY Tundra has everything that I wanted including; wood grain interior, chrome bed rails, The Extra Mile option package B, towing package, vehicle protection package, custom pin striping, spare tire lock, locking hubs, ABS, fog lamps, day running lamps, 3 in 1 stereo system with six speakers, bed liner, etc. I purchased MY Tundra in July and rate MY tundra as follows ...

1.) Ownership Satisfaction- **
    2.) Reliability- *
    3.) Fit & Finish- **** (MY trucks best Feature)
    4.) Overall Rating- ** and 1/2
    5.) Comments as Follows ...

Little concerning MY Tundra has been a pleasant experience. From the purchase to the ownership of MY Tundra! As it stands right now I feel like I own the biggest "Toyota-Lemon" of them all!!! Interestingly enough, is that I owned a 97 T-100 SR5 for two years and my Tundra has been in the shop almost twice as much as that vehicle ever was! Warranty work and oil changes only!

Currently MY Tundra has approximately 6750 miles and MY Tundra has or has had the following problems ...

During MY first week of ownership, due to a vibration problem, I had to replace ALL four tires AND wheels. I also had to pay the difference concerning the switch out of my own pocket. This was roughly $250! Remember I just purchased a new vehicle that cost almost $30,000! In case you are wondering I switched from Good Year tires to Michelin tires. (I see nothing "Good" about Good Year tires!) I feel like I now have a tire worthy of my vehicle. Consequently, this was probably the smartest thing I have done to date regarding MY Tundra!

The next problem I encountered was a vibration problem in the steering wheel portion of the vehicle. The steering wheel was eventually replaced with a "Heavier" steering wheel and it helped the vibration problem ever so slightly.

Next up was the vibration in the center console of MY Tundra. It seemed that the console would shake severely at speeds of 50mph-60mph. After visiting THREE different Toyota dealerships AND having THREE different alignments performed on MY Tundra, I finally found a Toyota dealer whom actually knew how to put weights on my wheels! You see, the truck had no weights on ANY of the FOUR wheels! Problem SOLVED ... FINALLY!

The next problem I encountered was a COMPLETELY dead battery! After having the Tundra towed this problem was eventually solved by replacing the Tundra with a new battery! Damn that was a cold morning! BUURRRR!!!

The next problem on the agenda was my SecurKey + keyless entry. It seems that if you buy a truck from one region of the country and move to another, certain accessories are unable or unknown how to be repaired! Its a GENUINE Toyota part! DAMN! This problem is still unresolved but after calling Toyota and bitching ... they are seeking a resolve to the problem! I figured I had a right to [non-permissible content removed] at this point!!!

Soon thereafter another problem reared its ugly little head. I noticed that the defrost and heater were working worse than usual, so, the water coolant valve was replaced and another day was wasted at a dealership! YIPPEE! Damn! I wish they had free donuts!

The next problem I encountered was that upon braking I noticed MY Tundra pulling to the left. After another two hours in the dealership they diagnosed the problem and cleaned my brakes. At least this dealership has good coffee! AHHH!

A week later I noticed that my defroster was working worse than ever. So, this resulted in my SEVENTEENTH trip to a Toyota dealership concerning repairs on MY Motor Trend truck of the year Tundra! After another two hours and finding the problem it was found that my defroster was indeed bad. They promptly ordered the parts and had me come back a week later! They had to replace the recirculating switch AND the printed integration board in my defrost/heating system. This repair would have cost around $600 if I hadn't still been under warranty! Finally, I have a defroster that works!!! YIPPEE!

This is my FIFTH Toyota! I have had little or no problems with a Camry, MR-2, T-100, and a 4Runner! But MY Tundra has been a tremendous disappointment! I had to convince my wife to buy it! Now, we are strongly considering getting rid of it! A Ford F-150 is looking pretty good right now:(

I am very happy that most of you have had little or no problems with your Tundra's! I am a little jealous because I too bought the Tundra based on past Toyota experience and Toyota reputation. Unfortunately, that reputation is taking on a competely new meaning! My wife's 99 4Runner is a better vehicle than my 2000 Tundra! Damn! It hurts to say that!

Best wishes to you all! I hope some of your good fortune rubs off on me!

Todd~~~
    thinking the Tundra seems to have a lot of problems???

I wanted to get one but I am a little nervous.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Sorry you are having problems... I am sure you are not alone .. Most are not willing to admit they have a problem with their Tundra. Recognizing you have a problem (lemon) is the first step to solving it.

Look on the bright side - at least the dealer has been able to solve all 17 of your problems. I can not honestly say you would have had any better luck with a Ford, GM or Dodge - all truck manufactures have some problem vehicles. Most Toyota owners pay a few thousand $$$'s extra to not have these problems. So I can understand why you are so upset about these problems.. Good luck solving them.
    z71bill,
    You are right. There is a big conspiracy among all Tundra owners to distribute false info on our ownership experience.

t100Todd,
    If my Tundra experience was like yours, I'd be driving that F150. Good luck with your problems.
    It sucks that you can get a lemon with anybody. Whether you pay 10K or 200K. My advice would be to get rid of that truck and try for another one. I am biased and would say give Tundra another chance because mine has been flawless but I would probably be shopping Ford or Chevy too if I had your problems. Whatever happens I hope you end up with a good truck, whatever it may end up being.
  • tundrasaursrextundrasaursrex Member Posts: 49
    I bought my Tundra in Jan 2000. With 1900 miles, I'm happy to report I haven't had any of the problems people have described. I also notice a trend: that most of the problems have developed on the early production model (pre-August) and within the first few thousand miles. Might be just coincidence. But I'd say that's par for the course--that's why I avoid early production models of new vehicles.

TTodd: With the exception of the heater (and the battery--I'd chalk the battery up to luck-of-the-draw) it sounds like your other problems are dealer prep problems and other after market equipment problems. You might consider a different dealer. BTW, Your alarm is dealer installed (or port installed) and isn't offered in the Pacific NW. Hope it all works out for you!
  • geezer3geezer3 Member Posts: 30
    Anybody out there know how to determine build date for Tundra ? Have heard it's in the last 6 numbers of VIN.. Mine is:059497 - Only curious cuz it seems to be the earlier models are having problems. Vibration,etc. - Have had none of those problems yet, but it only has about 400 miles on it. Only problem thus far was drivers seat wouldn't move in track. After some manipulation got it to work and is fine now. Maybe needs some lube which I will take up with dealer on first oil change. Oh yes, got the 'cold water' bath while turning a corner with drivers side window partly open. Had the same problem with my Nissan P/U and I think is commom to all newer vehicles. Wife croched a set of multi-color seat covers fore and aft, and brightens up the drab gray interior. It's what you would expect to find in most Senior citizen vehicles !

Will be taking a 12-1500 mile trip in next couple weeks and will post if any significant problems.

So far at least, this has been one of the nicest driving vehicles I have ever owned. Contrary to some comments I have read on this post you may rest assured I will not be hesitant in reporting any problems I might have. I think it's helpful to other owners regardless of the make and model.
    One other thing ! Hard starting sometimes after it's been driven which I attribute to the fuel injection system. Those of you who 'drive airplanes' with fuel injection know what I'm talking about when they're still warm.

Have a good one...
  • pderanekpderanek Member Posts: 1
    Picked up my 4x4 Access cab LTD 2/19/00 from Barkley Toyota, Asheville, NC (did whole deal via e-mail & fax...never met salesman). Drove it 865 miles home to Kansas City 2/21/00 & am very happy with it. Have had some back problems in past, realized I had been driving 12 hours before I even felt the slightest discomfort. This is a VERY good riding/driving truck. Only shock I had was at the gas pump...I'm adjusting from my '88 4Runner (which I've had since it was new, has 202,000 miles on it) with 4 cyl/17 gal tank to my Tundra V8/26 gal tank...and just when gas prices have shot up. Even at that, I was getting 17.9 mpg driving 65-75 mph. So far, I have found no defects of any kind. Sure seems big compared to my tired ol' 4Runner, tho.
    You can find the manufacture date (month / year) on a sticker in the driver's side door jamb (actually its on the front edge of the back door).

Mine was manufactured 1/7/00 and the VIN ends with 054743, i.e. #54,743 off the line.
  • geezer3geezer3 Member Posts: 30
    Kudos to you Arkie.. Right where you said it would be. Built 1/00 - didn't have specific day, but had to be mid January. Was a dealer locate and had 14 miles on it when delivered. They actually trailered it from the locate to their dealership, at my request. They said it was a "fresh drop" which I assume means it was a new delivery.

Thanks for the info...
This discussion has been closed.