Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Sierra Hybrid pickup

2»

Comments

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I was looking at the long term test at MT. That is not too bad for 4X4 crew cab. The two wheel drive Nissan Titan is averaging less MPG and the maintenance is almost triple the Chevy. It looks like the Japanese dealers charge a lot for an oil change, $83 for the first and $155 for the second.
  • falcononefalconone Member Posts: 1,726
    Just paid 19.95 for an oil change for my father's Corolla at Toyota. All dealers charge different prices. Overall you'll have higher maint costs for the Chevy as they're not as reliable.
    Overall you'll have higher maint costs for the Chevy as they're not as reliable.

That is pure bunk. Media hype has brain washed you to believe that kind of crap. I thought the $41 was high for the Chevy. I have never paid over $30 for service at Bob Stall Chevrolet in La Mesa CA. Nissan charged MT $83 for the 7500 mile service and $155 for the 15k mile service. Not my figures they are from the source you wanted to use as reference.

Over the 7 years that I owned my last Chevy the Suburban, all I ever did was oil, filters and lube, plus one serpentine belt for $26. Two of the 3 Chevy trucks prior to that gave me NO trouble. I drove both of them back to Alaska and after 2 years sold them for nearly what I paid for them new. I was lucky to get rid of the 1994 Toyota PU truck. I did find a sucker and sold him the headaches. Unless they have improved 100% from 1994 they still build tin junk. It is easy to sell a used Toyota. Proves the power of media hype. The TCO of my Toyota PU truck was thousands more than the Chevy Suburban. The only car that cost me more than that Toyota PU was a Fiat Spyder. Another car my son had to have. So the Toyota was ever so slightly better than a FIAT.

I almost forgot. My overall mileage on the GMC hybrid is still at 17 MPG. I have less than 300 miles on it. Mostly trips shorter than 3 miles. Full AC as it is Hot here this week.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but you're just one in a million. Statistically you'll pay more in maintenance for the Chevy. Just look at CR and peruse the thousands of websites that support what I said. You just got lucky. That is why GM is in the shape it is now. They won't accept the blame that they produce crap so they blame it on heath costs. THAT IS BUNK.
    I guess you can believe what you want. Again it proves the masses are being treated like mushrooms. If I had bought one Toyota that was reliable it may give your opinion a point of credence. GM cars may be crap. The last one I owned was a 1948 Cadillac that used oil by the gallon. GM trucks are the best on the planet. Not perfect but better than the rest. You don't get lucky with 5 vehicles, it is a sign of quality engineering and care in manufacturing. Before you throw stones at GMC trucks you should check the complaints on the car you are set on buying. GMC has sold 3 times more trucks this year than Prius has. Yet on the ODI site Prius has more than 10 times the complaints. Not looking good for the 2005 Prius reliability. In spite of that rag CR. When they get their heads out of the sand they will see they gave it a high rating prematurely. incidents of stalling Prius continue with updated computer. The latest if you have not read is the fuel bladder collapses over the sending module causing the car to shut down. They need to go back to the drawing board with their hybrids.
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    That is why GM is in the shape it is now. They won't accept the blame that they produce crap so they blame it on heath costs. THAT IS BUNK.

Your anger/frustration certainly has no relevance in this forum. GM's financial shape has nothing to do with their impressive line of trucks (inclucing the hybrid Sierra) and everything to do with events that happened a few decades ago: bad union-management negotiations regarding pensions/heatlthcare.

Falconone, other than jealousy I dont know what your motivations are?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Again, we're getting into the "personal" area here. Let's stop talking baout each other and stick to the vehicle in the topic. If you want to discuss the general health of GM, we have the Can GM survive losing billions in sales and in the Stock Market?? discussion over on News & Views. Let's keep this one focused on the Sierra hybrid.
    Gary you crack me up. I can assure you that when next year's CR comes out the Prius will trounce any product that comes from GM. I am still on track for buying my 06 Prius. Looks like you spend more time in the hybrid forums than anyplace else. We all know what that means!!! Meanwhile Toyota will be releasing more and more hybrids in the coming years. What does GM come out with? A "hybrid" truck that gets an average of 14.8 MPG. I think THEY need to go back to the drawing board.
    A "hybrid" truck that gets an average of 14.8 MPG.

Interesting point. The 2004 Chevy 1500 4X4 Hybrid is rated at a combined 18 MPG. That means MT over the long term is getting 18% below the EPA rating. Just to keep things in perspective that same group of writers that awarded the Prius "Car of the Year" in 2004 are not doing too well with their long term Prius mileage. They are averaging 24% less than EPA rating. Cost of maintenance is higher by far than the Chevy 4X4 hybrid. Prius service $65 every 5k miles. Must be some expensive oil.

I hope you will be as happy with your Prius as I am with my GMC hybrid.

Of course CR will glorify Toyota. You don't bite the hand that feeds you...
    I guess the editors don't mind getting ripped off for oil changes. My local Toyota dealer charges $19.95 for oil changes. Overall, the maintenance on the Prius will be a hell of a lot less than for your 14 MPG Chevy. Way too many threads on disenchanted owners of GM throwaway cars.

Lest you think Toyota is in bed with CR, you better have proof to substantiate your claim. But that's coming from someone who claims Japan is a 3rd world country. No one on the hybrid boards understands you agenda. The fact that you spend more time on the PC than with your family speaks volumes.
  • sinepmansinepman Member Posts: 137
    They always tend to get less than the average person. I suppose their editors have lead feet. They were not too keen on the auto stop feature either. It probably needs some refining. I don't even see it advertised either. I guess it was another GM flop. Oh well.
    From what I read they only produced 300 of the Sierra hybrids for non fleet sales. I don't think they are a big seller. Generally the public is not interested in the technology. The Prius is a fluke that caught the attention of Hollywood and then appealed to the techno geek crowd.

The auto-stop does take getting used to. It is very nice to sit at a stop light in total silence except for the AC fan. When you let off the brake the engine starts so quietly that you do not hear it if the radio is playing. You have to look at the tach to tell if it is running. I have less than 300 miles on mine so I cannot give any mileage details. The total indicated by the computer is 17.2 MPG. That is on very short trips to the store.
  • molokaimolokai Member Posts: 313
    I guess there are tons of geeks around. Let's say to the tune of 100,000? That's just the 2005 model year. A fluke? Nah... it's called making a GOOD car. I am definitely not a geek, but I do love the technology in this vehicle. Averaging 47.1 on this tank with two trips on the highway at 80 MPH. Can't beat that!! Whew... I love this car.
  • sinepmansinepman Member Posts: 137
    I love new technology and I am impressed from what I have read on this and other forums. I was going to wait for the Camry, but I may just get the 06. I hear there are few improvements they've already made in the Euro version. I look forward to getting rid of my BMW. I LOVE the car, but there have been too many warranty issues.
    I've been following all the threads too. I am hoping to score an 06 Prius just in time to take advantage of the new tax credit. Regarding BMW, they are probably the best out of all the German car makers now. I am sorry you had problems with yours. Good luck!!!
  • dassazdassaz Member Posts: 1
    Good for Toyota for making a car that people like. But why does it become a club to hate GM? Obviously, GM has missed the hybrid boat. It was more than the fad that they thought it was. But GM is still doing quite a bit for the auto world. They are working on Hydrogen technology and though it is at least 10 years away, think of the potential. A car whose only emission is water. I hope that GM will partner with Toyota, Honda, D-C, and Ford, and end this stupid debate on fuel economy. Some people like trucks and don't mind paying more the gas. Some people like a greener car that may cost a little more, but they like the gas mileage and can sleep with themselves at night. Bottom line, drive what you want, it's your choice. Be glad that we have more to decide on than just color.
  • cablackcablack Member Posts: 45
    I agree. I'm a pleased-as-punch HCH owner and I almost always am on the side of 'hybrid' in these discussions.

But I applaud GM for making the hybrid they have. And I applaud their investments in other technologies. They may be late, but IMO they are moving in a positive direction.

So stop the bashing. Doing so only trivializes your own point of view, and sways people in the wrong direction.

And I love reading Gary's posts, even though I often disagree with him. He's one of the best things going on this forum.
    And I love reading Gary's posts

You are too kind. I like to debate what ever the subject. My friends don't always agree with me either. We still get along great. As for my Sierra hybrid. We went shopping at Home Depot and Lowe's this morning. I told my wife I would not miss driving the Passat too much when we sell it. I would rather pay a few bucks more for fuel and be in a PU truck. I just cannot get into driving a car. Too low to see what is going on ahead of me. Mileage holding a 15 MPG with all short 3 mile trips on the hybrid. Gas dropped another 4 cents today, $2.799.
  • john1701ajohn1701a Member Posts: 1,897
    > stop the bashing

It's the misrepresentation that upsets people.

Hybrid means there is some type of blending.

Since no electric propulsion whatsoever is provided, no blending has occurred. It's just an improvement to the existing system, increasing response time and extending fuel-cut to non-moving conditions. The engine provides 100% of the thrust.

GM should have called this improvement something else, rather than "hybrid".

JOHN
    I think you have missed some of the purpose of the GMC Hybrid. It also uses regenerative braking to charge the batteries. The hybrid system is quite useful on construction jobs with four 120 volt AC 20 amp circuits available. The climate control is electric saving fuel while running on battery power. It also saves gas while stopped in traffic. And the biggest thing it is the ONLY HYBRID PU truck on the market. Nothing Toyota builds would satisfy my vehicular needs. Toyota is still years behind GM in the truck building business. That is the bottom line.

Definition of Hybrid
    Something of mixed origin or composition.
    Something, such as a computer or power plant, having two kinds of components that produce the same or similar results.

I don't see in the definition of hybrid where the Prius is anymore qualified as a hybrid than the Honda or GM hybrids. It is merely the combining of different components to give an end result. The desired end result is the saving of a bit of fuel. In the case of the GMC Hybrid I did not have to give up Handling, comfort & towing ability.
    GM merely used the term to try and entice interest. Apparently it didn't work too well as they sold very little. The mileage gains are nil. Essentially you're just paying for a generator.
    > Something of mixed origin or composition.

There is no mixing.

Where's the component that doesn't already exist?

The battery is bigger than usual and the starter is bigger than usual.

It's an improvement to original parts, nothing new.

JOHN
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Where's the component that doesn't already exist?

The battery is bigger than usual and the starter is bigger than usual. "

Well, there is the equipment added to enable the regenerative braking to charge the batteries, plus the electric A/C (gary, correct me if I'm wrong on this one), and of course the components to run those electric 110V outlets. Those don't exist on a stock GMC...
    No offense

No offense taken.
    I also don't worship any vehicles. They are just a means to get me and my stuff from one place to another. Actually buying the Sierra Hybrid was an after thought. It had the engine and towing package I wanted. The dealer offered the hybrid option for a grand and I figured what the hey. I like the truck. It is very Quiet & smoothest running vehicle we own including the Lexus. I don't get offended easily. I realize there are a lot of zealots hang out on this forum with very narrow vision.
    "I realize there are a lot of zealots hang out on this forum with very narrow vision."

I get annoyed when people talk about themselves on this forum :P :P
    Enough of the personal stuff. Resist the urge to talk about each other and stick to the topics please.
  • kwc205kwc205 Member Posts: 1
    I would love to buy a GMC anything but the hybrid would be better. Saving gas is always a good thing. Unfoprtunately, all the reserach I have done suggests that the new hybrid does not have any better mpg than my 2001 Sierra. The complexity of the system doesn't seem to warrent a change nor the 17 mpg city. That is not a savings to me.
  • jray4jray4 Member Posts: 18
    GM is getting bad publicity by people who probably never owned a GM vehicle. I' ve owned nothing but GM vehicles for the last 30 years. I agree during the past years styling was not the greatest but their engineering was always good. I usually trade cars about every 3 years, but my wife Buick is 10 years old with about 100,000 miles on it and it still has the original battery and brake linings. The only thing that has been replaced are tires oil, filters and belts. GM cars starts at the touch of the key and you can not find cars that starts better than a GM vehicle. I also own a Vette and you can not find another car of it's type and engineering for the money.
    What I driving now is Pontiac Vibe and if you don't know, this car is the same as a Toyota Matrix with a little different sheet metal styling. I bought this car out of curiosity to see what is all this hype about the Toyota's. Well, now I know and I can wait to get rid of it. I've had brake problems, wheel bearings, noisy transmission and basically a very noisy car. The horn on a motorcyle sound louder and is bigger than this car. So I've change the horn and now is the time to change this lousy car and buy good GM car like maybe Chevy Cobalt that rides like a big car and a Pontiac Solstice,

Joe
    Cobalt was rated low by CR. GM is in the shape they're in now because their quality has been poor in recent years. That's changed. Good luck!!
    I have the Sierra hybrid. The only reason for you to get the new hybrid version is if you want the 110 volt 20 amp capability. I like mine so far. It is very quiet starting. The auto stop works great at the stop lights. The climate control keeps you cool even in 100 plus weather. I doubt you will see much difference in mileage. Another plus is no smog tests in CA.
    Will they get a tax credit? 18 MPG city may be wishful thinking. Has to be a lighter foot than mine. 21 MPG highway should be doable.

General Motors says the hybrid system gives the trucks the best city mileage ratings of any full-size pickups.

EPA ratings show the trucks get 18 mpg in the city and 21 on the highway for two-wheel-drive models. Four-wheel-drive models get 17 city and 19 highway ratings.

http://www.mlive.com/business/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/business-1/113111950572770.xml&col- l=5
    Great truck if you live in Florida. You have to admit, it's nice to have a rolling generator. GM should really not slap a hybrid sticker on it. Let's face it, it's not a hybrid. It's a pickup truck with a built in generator. NOT a bad thing. I'd buy it IF I needed a PU.
    If you drive the Sierra hybrid 15k miles per year you will save 167 gallons over a conventional Sierra. If you compare that to a Prius over a Camry the savings is only 128 gallons per year.

PS
    With auto stop it is close in concept to the Honda hybrids. NO smog check you gotta love it.
    On the East coast we have no such checks. I am registered in PA. Lucky me!! Gotta love it!!
    The GMC is running great. Drove 380 miles to Barstow and back last Thursday. First time on the highway with the Hybrid. I had just convinced the dealer to exchange the tires on the truck. It had Goodyear Wrangler ST's, possibly the worst tire ever made. In the first rain they were so bad I could not take off without spinning them. Now I have Firestone Destination LE's. Somewhat taller and wider. The GYs were 235/75/16, the Firestone's are 265/70/16. Much more solid driving and riding experience. I don't know if they affected my odometer or speedometer.

Back to our trip. I started out trying to drive 65 MPH, the speed limit on Interstate 15 in San Diego. The computer indicated right at 20 MPG. It was obvious I was holding up traffic even in the right hand lane so I gave up and went with the 75 MPH flow. This was at 9AM and the traffic was still very heavy headed North. South bound was stop n Go. Other than slow downs at the main freeway exits we maintained the 70-75 MPH for the 185 mile drive to Barstow. Driving home was equally heavy but seemed to move smoother with less slow downs. The North bound lanes were stop n Go for the last 75 miles into the San Diego area. I could not commute in that for any amount of money.

The truck is very quiet and the XM classical stations provided uninterrupted music the whole trip. The trip computer gave us an 18.2 MPG for the entire tank. I had filled up before we left and did so on our return. Calculated mileage was 18.87 MPG. The truck now has about 1250 miles on it.

I got a real surprise in the mail from Farmer's Insurance. Because it is a Hybrid they lowered my premium from $545 to $399. That paid for all my gas for the first 6 months.

Conclusion:
    I like driving the truck. I don't see a mileage improvement, maybe after it is broken in. I would still rather have a 1/2 ton PU with a 5 cylinder diesel like the one in our Mercedes RV. That is an 8000 lb vehicle that gets 22-26 MPG. Gasoline propulsion is just a highly refined losing proposition IMO.
    Which of the following best describes why you own a hybrid?

a) to make a statement

b) for the tax credit and other perks

c) because they’re environmentally friendly

d) to save money at the pump

e) to be the first to own new technology

Please submit a few sentences to support your response no later than Friday, January 27, 2006. Be sure to include your Forums username. Thanks! (wclarke@edmunds.com)
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Does this mean your truck now goes UP in value since no one can buy a new one?

Or does it have the opposite effect?

GM Nixes Hybrid Pickups

Hybrids on Hold
    GM axes hybrid pickups until two-mode system debuts in 2008

By RICHARD TRUETT | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

AutoWeek | Updated: 04/26/07, 10:06 am et
    DETROIT -- Despite rising gasoline prices, General Motors quietly has dropped the hybrid versions of the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups.

GM's next hybrid pickups are due in about 18 months.

The Silverado Hybrid sold for $30,040 including shipping, about $3,000 more than a V-8 powered Silverado with the same size engine and same trim. The Silverado Hybrid and the more upscale Sierra Hybrid were launched in late 2004. They were GM's first gasoline-electric hybrids. But neither truck received much promotion, and sales were slow.

The total production run of both trucks was about 3,000, according to GM. There are a few unsold models of both trucks in dealer inventory, said Chevrolet spokesman Brian Gobel. Production ended in December.

Neither truck generated much buzz, mostly because the hybrid system didn't drive the vehicle on electric power alone. The fuel economy increase of 2 mpg compared with a standard Silverado or Sierra was not dramatic enough to captivate buyers the way the Toyota Prius did.

But the trucks did offer several unique features, including an onboard 2,400-watt generator and four 120-volt outlets. They also gave GM bragging rights about having the most fuel-efficient V-8-powered full-sized pickup.

In idle mode, the trucks could generate enough electricity to power a house. GM officials had hoped the hybrid Silverado and Sierra would find a market with construction workers, campers and others who needed electricity in remote places.
    I still have mine for sale. I have had several people interested. I will not sell it cheap. It is almost 2 years old with 9300 miles on it. Edmunds Private sale TMV is right at the price I paid new. If I sell it at wholesale I will only lose about $1000. My biggest complaint is the extended cab with overlapping suicide doors. Same complaint as people with the FJ Cruiser. If I have not sold it when it gets close to 3 years I will buy the extended warranty. You know how flaky hybrids are :)
    That pickup was nothing but a traditional vehicle with an auto-stop feature.

To qualify as a hybrid, something needs to be combined. Not getting any propulsion power whatsoever from an electric motor meant it never met the criteria.

It was disingenously labeled, a vehicle serving as a great example of "greenwashing".

Thank goodness it is being discontinued.

JOHN
    Well John I think you have found something we agree on. It does also have regenerative braking that is noteworthy. I am not sure the auto-stop makes any difference in mileage. I get about 15 MPG around town. Nothing to write home about. Thankfully I did not get stuck paying a $3000 premium. The dealer wanted to unload it during the big sales of 2005.
    We just took the GMC PU on a road trip through part of the Southwest. The coolest day we had was over 90 degrees. The Climate control in the cab was set at 75 degrees and kept us very comfortable for the entire trip. Much of the time was over 100 degrees. Phoenix was 113 degrees, you can have that larsb. I was pleased with the mileage on this trip. I drove the speed limit or 4 MPH over most of the time. The best tank was mostly between 65-75 MPH. Even out on Interstate 8 driving 75-80 MPH from Yuma to Phoenix we got 19.93 MPG. That was the hottest day of the trip. Best mileage was driving from Albuquerque to Durango up to Mesa Verde National Park and then over to Page, AZ.

Overall gas mileage in the GMC hybrid PU truck 19.56 MPG. High tank from Cortez Colorado to Page Arizona 21.79 MPG. Low mileage was while in Albuquerque 17.57 MPG, 161 miles city driving.

Conclusion: I do not think the hybrid system makes any difference in mileage on the highway. I think the 5.3L GM engine is the best compromise for a vehicle of this size. By surpassing the EPA rating (pre 2008) it proved to me, if you do not make fast starts and cruise at comfortable speed you can get the rated mileage. Also the CA designer gas is lousy for mileage. Shell outside CA yielding the best mileage. Looks like this tank of CA Shell will be the lowest mileage of the trip when I fill up next time. The computer says 18.3 MPG. It is usually .5 MPG lower than calculated. I expect the last leg to be about 18.8 MPG.
  • bretd04gmcbretd04gmc Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had to replace a hybrid battery yet in the GM hybrid truck?

I have a 2004 GMC Sierra 4x4 Hybrid with 39,000 miles. The truck just died on me the other day. Went to start it one morning and it wouldn't turn over.

Towed it to a GMC dealer with a tech. qualified to work on it and they are saying one of the hybrid batteries is dead and the other two show a low charge. Current estimate is 3 to 5 days for a new battery to arrive.

Also, initially the dealership was saying that the battery is NOT covered under warranty. Everything I have says GM is covering ALL the hybrid components for 8yrs/100,000 miles - this includes the batteries.

The dealership says this sounds right to them and that they were just going off what the tech. had said in regards to the warranty.

I'm curious to see what experiences others may have had.
    I only have 12k miles on my 2005 Sierra. It is 25 months old and no problems so far. I plan to buy the extended warranty if I keep it past 3 years.
    A Forbes.com article on the least efficient hybrids and the dreaded "hybrid premium" are the subject of today's Alternate Route entry, Boon or Bane?
    My Sierra Hybrid was a nice enough truck. I sold it and would never consider another hybrid. They are TOO complex. Too much to go wrong. In fact most new cars suffer from too many gadgets that are going to cost you a ton of money when the warranty expires. I am going to buy older vehicles and just drive them. Keep the money in the bank. Let the masses make car payments the rest of their lives. Hybrids are the current leader in throw-away technology for cars.
This discussion has been closed.