Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Jetta Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jennypennyjennypenny Member Posts: 2
    I just spoke to a dealer and that promo of $229 a month is actually not includeing tax etc so it works out to be much higher
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Think we are being played, but not sure yet.

Why? Prices you quote sound pretty good...right around invoice. VW has 2.9% financing on this model, I did not get any indication that a lower price could be had by turning down the financing...so we took it even though we could have paid cash if we really wanted to. We only got two year loan, some dealers have 4 years at that 2.9% rate.

Auto trans and ESP are the only options available on VE (we got both on ours). Floor mats and keyless entry are standard, assuming you mean the remote keyless thing. Not sure what door edge guards or wheel well moldings are, so can't comment on whether the car has those.

I think the negative reliability reputation is overdone with VW...but have never owned one. Consumer Reports puts them about average. Prices on extended warranty, while higher than Honda or Toyota, are not particularly high on VWs...so they can not be all that bad.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Still not quite clear on what ESP is. Anyone?

The Sandman :confuse:
  • waiwai Member Posts: 325
    Just tell you one example of ESP will prevent you from accident/injury, a few weeks ago, I drove off I95 offramp and try to cut off a car in my right lane and exit and there is a right curve to turn immediately after cutoff and my car's speed is too high, when I almost felt I will skid out, the engine started to reduce power and I felt some additional braking on my pedal and my car is safely on the right track. Thanks for the EPS.
  • thekingtheking Member Posts: 107
    :D My wife leased a 2.5 Jetta (not the value edition that internet managers offer when you ask for a price quote on a 2.5) with automatic and Xm radio;no optional packs 1 or 2. The capitalized price was at exact dealer invoice (I asked about holdback and VW to dealer only $2000 program..Was told "no way Jose" ) Her cost was $269 a month not including 5% Mass. tax for 48 month 48 k miles with 0 down and she paid first payment and reg. and doc fees of $600.00 . How did she do ????
  • etbeaveretbeaver Member Posts: 3
    Take the deal. Don't 21k is a good price for a diesel jetta gls 100 hp w/esp. that is not the issue; here. Honesty you know the only thing one can take to the grave is your word. Internet salesmen at Norhtpenn imports simply did not stick to his word and they played games. He is new and he can not give that price. Bs, he must check with the fat man in the main office in order to reply with any kind of quote! North penn also broke the federal law that states clearly that ONLY the owner can remove the vehicles new sticker that was not in the windows of neither of the 05 jetta's I picked-up! They may ask you; the New owner if they can remove, but to take it upon ones self and never even show the customer, is in violation of the federal law, and Pa. attorney general is receiving my complaint letter shortly!!!!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter hopes to interview recent VW or Audi model buyers aged 30-40 who are first time buyers of a VW Group car and willing to discuss their profession/income; and recent VW or Audi buyers aged 30-40 who are repeat buyers of the brand and willing to discuss their profession/income. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by Wednesday, July 20, 2005, and provide your daytime contact information.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• melanie3melanie3 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2005 old style Jetta GLS for 17,850, including all the dealers' fees. I took the $2000 cash back rather than the low financing, but the dealer told me I could not get the $500 vw owner loyalty bonus without using vw financing. Does anyone know if this is true?
    Looks like that is true. A little digging on vw.com found this:

VW Owners and Lessees, get a $500 thank-you when you purchase or lease your next VW by September 6.

Current Volkswagen owners or lessees get $500 toward their next VW if they finance or lease through Volkswagen Credit by September 6.
  • dgnesmithdgnesmith Member Posts: 1
    Hi to all,
    I have been combing the internet for two weeks now looking for a high mileage jetta tdi, manual, 2000-present. I can't find anything above 125k miles for sale. I know they are out there, but I don't have a clue where to look. All the jettas on ebay are lower milage vehicles with prices I'm not willing to pay (I just bought my first house and don't want a car payment).

Does anyone know where I should look or know anyone ready to sell?
    Please let me know.

Thanks, Dan
    A reporter hopes to interview recent VW or Audi model buyers aged 30-40 who are first time buyers of a VW Group car and willing to discuss their profession/income; and recent VW or Audi buyers aged 30-40 who are repeat buyers of the brand and willing to discuss their profession/income. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by Wednesday, July 27, 2005, and provide your daytime contact information.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• timnytimny Member Posts: 142
    I paid too much (on lease) for my '02 GLI - the dealer saw me coming! (i.e., litterally -- coming in with a Ford Explorer with an engine ready to blow!).

15K/year with $0 down = $340/month, with a $13,500 buy-out.

That said, the GLI has been a great performer. I had two problems with ignition coils (all under warranty) that was mostly an inconvenience due to the dealer -- note: in my experience, you're better off dealing with smaller VW dealership (e.g., Riverbank in Stamford, CT - where they bend over backwards for you) than a large on (e.g., Donaldson's in Seville, NY - where you'll be on a three-week waiting list for an oil change that will take 3 hours of wait time!).

Anyway ...let me say this. I drive my car aggressively and the GLI has stood up as an amazing little performer. 200hp, 200ft-lbs torque and one of the six 6-speeds out there - the car delivers a lot of fun. I've given a few 325i (and even a couple 330i) drivers a run for the money. The car's a sleeper, and I like the subtle distinctions from the standard Jettas.

After 49,500 miles of aggressive driving, I can relay this:
    - over 40% of the original brake pads remain
    - at least 50% tread on the original tires (speed-rated Michellin Pilot 45R17, which are simply AMAZING tires -- on dry and wet roads, and even in the snow -- if you avoid pot-holes)
    - at least 22mpg overall (again, despite aggressive driving)

Plus, the car is great for running errands, etc -- fold down the rear seats, and you can't believe how much room is in there (I actually brought home a BBQ, two air-conditioners, and a snow-blower in one trip with the car!).

If I hadn't over-paid on the lease, and if my wife could drive a MT, I would buy out the lease on this car. It's a phenomenal value.
  • waiwai Member Posts: 325
    I think your 02GLI should be 03GLI because 02 has only GLXVR6 (Auto), 6 speed manual only available on 03GLI onwards. I agree with you that this car has a lot of punch in 3 and 4 gears and can have a good disguise of its appearance, Mine is 04GLI which I am satified with the power and handling, except the back braking disc rotors which are too small for a heavy car as an Accord EX. Do you have difficulty in emergency braking ( to stop in a short distance)? Also its kind of jerky when I upshift to a higher gear. Have you experienced these. I think your stock Michelin Pilot tire performs every aspect better than my stock Goodyear Eagle RSA.
  • a04lemmona04lemmon Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking about either the Value Edition or the next grade up 2.5. I liked the Leatherette interior. Does anyone know if the 16" steel wheels are standard on 2.5 (without package)? It's definitely better than the 15" with plastic covers. I plan to buy it, wonder how much room to negotiate?

Thanks
    JZ
  • timnytimny Member Posts: 142
    It's definitely an '02 - acquired June 2002. And it's definitely a 6-speed.

My brakes have performed well, to the best of my experience. The only jerkiness I've experienced in the gearbox is up-shifting from 1st to 2nd (I've heard this is common in Jettas, even with AT, but don't know for sure).

The tires are awesome ... except when it comes to potholes! I'd definitely buy Michelins again.
    Are you confusing alloys and steel?

2.5 has 16 inch steel wheels with wheel covers, just like the VE but an inch bigger in diameter. 2006 2.5s supposedly will have alloys standard, but you lose a lot of other stuff in exchange.
  • karl4karl4 Member Posts: 4
    $199/month (including everything, taxes, tags, doc fees, etc.)
    36 months
    12Kmiles per year
    Out-the-door cost $2000.
    They are taking back my 2003 Jetta early with 24K miles and two more monthly payments to go.
    Also, they are throwing in one free oil change, and fixing $300 worth of paint chips on my trade-in.

Should I wait for the "new" model in October?
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Isn't the 2.5 the new model?
    I test drove it and immediately felt the difference between the 2005 and my 2003 Jetta. Quieter, smoother, roomier, more luxurious, if a Jetta could ever be called luxo.
    THE DEAL
    $200/month (including everything, taxes, tags, doc fees, etc.)
    36 months
    10Kmiles per year ( I only drive about 8500 miles per year)
    Out-the-door cost $2000, charged on my credit card.
    They are taking back my 2003 Jetta early with 24K miles and three more monthly payments to go.
    Also, they are throwing in one free oil change, and fixing $250 worth of paint scrapes on the front bumper and fender, plus three missing wheel covers on my trade-in. I figure my out-of-pocket costs would have been about $300 to VW Leasing.
    Any comments from you guys?
    Yes, but I thought about waiting for the 2006 Jetta 2.5 Model. There are supposed to be some small changes.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Sounds like you got a good deal. You pay less per month than I do for a 2004.5 Passat.
  • jettaracerjettaracer Member Posts: 11
    Hi there,
    Just wanted to see what people are paying for the new 2005 jetta value edition. Anyone purchased one in Florida? :)
    We test drove this exact car last month and the internet guy gave me a price of $18,999 plus T,T&L. The wife liked the L version better, but eventually got the Mazda 3 S instead. She said she wants to wait a year and then will give me the 3 and get the L version herself. We both felt the Value Edition was just to plain. And that 1st year of a new model scared us, especially with a VW. Their reliability is not the greatest and we don't want to spend $22 k on a car that has "issues" or potential ones!

The Sandman :)
    Not in FL, but we paid right around invoice in May in WI with 2.9% financing. I think you can get as low as 1.9% now.
  • jettaracerjettaracer Member Posts: 11
    Hi sandman!
    Who's this internet guy? Did you go to a website to make a deal? If so, what was it?
    Thanks!
    Sorry, names and contact information for individual salespeople aren't allowed.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• cm77cm77 Member Posts: 12
    Anyone having any particular success in VW dealers in the greater DC area?

I am in the market to buy my first VW and looking for some guidance.

Any suggestions or examples of deals concerning the 2.0 TDI 2005 model is greatly appreciated. More or less, I want to be sure that I am not getting played and getting the better end of a deal.

Thanks!
  • cdstrawcdstraw Member Posts: 12
    I purchased my 2005 (A4) Jetta TDI from Ourisman VW in Laurel, MD. about 15 minutes north of the Beltway on Rt. 295 (BWI-Washington Parkway). I worked with the internet sales manager, who was very honest and upfront with what was available and what she could get and what she could do for me. No beating around the bush, haggling, or "I have to talk to my manager" conversations.

We started the e-mail conversation on a Thursday. Drove to the dealership on Saturday to meet her and discuss the details of what I wanted in the vehicle. (color, options, etc.) She called on Monday to confirm she had the exact match for what I wanted. (She had to go three states away to find the Jetta the way I wanted.) Car was brought into dealership on Tuesday, prepped and detailed on Wed., Thursday after work I finished paperwork and drove my Jetta home. Extremely happy with purchase, and especially "No Pressure" sales attitude.
    Sticker on my Jetta was 24K, I drove away for 19K. I've only made one long trip so far, and I averaged 53 MPG. Typically, in the city I average 43-45 MPG. The power in the engine is great, and the handling is superb. This is the first diesel I've ever owned and I doubt I will go back to a gas fueled vehicle. :)
    Thanks cdstraw for your story!

I am going to contact the internet sales manager for sure.

Which package did you end up getting on your TDI?
  • cdstrawcdstraw Member Posts: 12
    Grey GLS with Leather, ESP, and Cold Weather, Manual Transmission. (I like to drive, not be a passenger!) My Jetta is an A4 model not the 2005 1/2 (A5) New Jetta. Originally I wanted the A5, but I couldn't pass up the price on the A4. Very happy with my choice!
    Would $23,500 on a blue graphite with antrhacite interior package 1 with rear spoiler be a good deal? This does not include tax/ title, tags or processing fee.

:confuse:
  • trixie1067trixie1067 Member Posts: 4
    :confuse: I'm in the market for a new car. I have narrowed it down to the Mazda 6 or the New Jetta 2.5 with Package 1. Now I need help deciding. I have read a lot of reviews on the New Jetta and have read about a few problems.... If you have bought a new one please tell me how you like it!!! And what kind of a deal they got on it. Also, I don't know anyone that owns a Mazda is it reliable?
    We were in the same prediciment last month actually. We almost pulled the trigger on a Jetta Value Edition but chose the Mazda 3 S at the last minute. We both love the Mazda 3 but after 6 weeks of ownership, the wife thinks she wants to give me the 3 and get the 2006 Jetta L. I really don't see this happening until next spring or so, but she has the 3 on a road trip these past 3 days and if she wants to give it to me sooner, she'll tell me when she gets home on monday.
    I'd be very happy to "inherit" the 3, as it does drive beautifully. I never got to drive the Jetta because of my own car accident and eventhough I sat in the backseat of the Value Edition, I thought that car was quite plain. The L is more duded up and we both really liked the leatherette seating surfaces. Time will tell, but my hunch is that we'll buy the Jetta before spring is over...if not before!

• trixie1067trixie1067 Member Posts: 4
    oops I meant Mazda 6. The value edition Jetta is a bit plain for my taste too, thats why I'm hoping to get the 2.0 with Package 1, dresses up really nicely. I just feel the interior of the Mazda 6 looks a bit... cheap? I don't know if thats the right word, but maybe a little goofy. Do you know what changes the 2006 Jetta is going to have? This is a tough one...... :confuse:
    We felt the seating in the Jetta was much more comfortable than either the Mazda 3 or 6. We never even drove the Mazdas because of that factor.

My wife loves her Jetta. We bought a Jetta Value edition (we do have plain taste) for my wife about 3 months ago. We paid right around invoice. There were a few minor problems that were all taken care of in one service visit. We only have 1500 miles on the car. They are changing deleting quite a few standard features in the 2006 version. There is also a 2.0T and GLI version for 2006. I think alloys become standard on all but VE. Here is some info on the 2006 2.5 that was posted on another formum that I am not allowed to name here. As you can see some stuff listed in the option packages is standard in the 2005.5:

2.5 5-speed Manual - $20,290
    2.5 6-speed Automatic - $21,365
    1.9L TDI 5-speed Manual - $21,290
    1.9L TDI 6-speed DSG - $22,365
    Destination - $615
    OPTIONS:
    Package 1 - Sunroof, Cold Weather Package, Satellite Radio - $1,600
    Package 2 - Package 1 plus Leather, Multifunction leather wheel, Leather shift knob, leather handbrake, Dual-Zone Climatronic, Compass, Highline Instrument Display w/ Trip Computer, 12-way Power Driver's Seat w/ memory, 115V power outlet - $3,485
    XM or Sirius for base car - $375
    Rear side airbags - $350
    Is there still an L model with the leatherette seating surfaces and the auto tranny? That's what the wife wants now. Hopefully they will have this combo for 2006.

• dln1dln1 Member Posts: 1
    As far as I know there no advantage to buying a 2006, unless you want a color not available in 2005. The 2005's (except value edition) have a lot of premium features only available in Package 2 in 2006. The one thing is, if you want Satellite radio, and dont want a package 2 then I think it will be much easier to get that in a 2006. But the interest rates are so much more favorable for a 2005, you can probably get a 2005 Package 2 for the same you would pay for a 2006 Package 1!
    2006 U.S. Jetta Sedan Standard Equipment list at:

http://media.vw.com/press_files/text/Standard%20Equipment.pdf
  • shazbotshazbot Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a 2005 Value Edition Jetta (manual transmission with esp and without), and I've received some price quotes around 17,200 and 17,000 or about 750 below invoice. Is this a good price? I'm located on the West Coast.
  • peaches63peaches63 Member Posts: 9
    I am in the market to purchase a new vehicle. I test drove the 2006 Passat 2.0t four weeks ago because the V6 isn't available yet--I don't want a turbo. After seeing the new 2.5 Jetta on the streets, I noticed the body style is 95% identical to the new Passat. Yesterday, I went to the dealership again to test drive the new Jetta & was amazed to see how the inside was identical too. :) Due to this discovery, I've decided to consider the new Jetta 2.5 with Package 2 because it's a "smaller" Passat and I can save a lot of $$$ :) I need info: Is a 5 cyclinder car with 150hp good??? Does anyone know a good dealership in the West Suburbs of Chicago, IL?
    What do you mean by good? We did not really want a turbo either, so it is good in that way. We would rather buy regular gas, so it is good in that way. The 5 cyl sounds different, some don't like its sound and some do...we do.

You should decide for yourself based on a test drive, but the 5 cyl engine is plenty powerful enough for us and has good low end torque, so there is good acceleration from a stop. If I floor it, I feel that it is more acceleration than I need, since that is the case why would I need more power...especially with gas approaching $3 per gallon?

The six speed automatic shifts very smoothly too.

And just think, whenever you tell people you have a 5 cylinder engine and a 6 speed transmission...they'll be thinking you got those two numbers reversed :) .
    You're right people will think I have the #'s reversed. LOL When I asked if a 5 cylinder was "good", I wanted to know if it was dependable/reliable. I've read about the reliability issues that VW has. Yes, I will decide for myself but I joined this forum to get additional info since I've never owned a VW or heard of a 5 cyclinder. I'm familiar with 4, 6 & 8 cyclinder cars. The new Jetta 2.5 is a "mini" Passat so I've decided to purchase the Jetta over the Passat 3.6 because it's a smart choice due to the rising cost of gas. When did you get your Jetta & what amount should be a good deal with package 2? Thanks for sharing your experience with me "a future jetta owner".
    Oh sorry I didn't understand...that engine is new so, no there is really way to know if it will be depedable/reliable. We have not had any engine problems, but it has only been 3 months and 2000 miles.

Back at the end of may, we got a VE for about $50 under invoice after adding back in an $89 processing fee (or whatever they called it). I don't know what would be a good deal now on what you are looking at. One thing to look at the invoice price and incentives here on edmunds (okay, I guess that would be two things :) ).
    Thanks Jeffy, your info is helpful. ;) Has anyone bought the new 2.5 Jetta with Package 2 yet? Please help--I'm trying to find out what's a fair "price" to expect to pay for the car. :)
  • akuskaakuska Member Posts: 7
    I didn't drive the 150hp version, but I had a 150 hp 1.8T in my 1998 Passat and was reasonably satisfied with it. The 2006 Jettas are about the same weight as the pre-06 Passats, so I would expect adequate performance. The best way to find out is to drive it. It will likely be a bit slower than the base Passat, which has the 2.0T engine.

I had good luck with Autobarn in Countryside. Ignore the second sticker with the overpriced wax jobs (they didn't try the hard sale on me), and be prepared to make a reasonable counteroffer (ask him for his price first) and do a "parking lot deal" (i.e. walk out of the office when the sales manager balks at your offer and you'll quickly find out if he will accept it). I got a 2006 GLI for about $550 over true invoice (he called it $200 over, but he added in his advertising and floorplan costs), which is about $500 less than the Edmunds "TMV." I can't say anything yet about service as I've never had a car serviced there. There are some dealer incentives on the 2005.5 Jettas (1.9% financing for 3 years), so that may be an option as well.
  • stratgirlstratgirl Member Posts: 1
    What is everyone getting as their 5 and or 6 year APR through VW?
  • fasteddy001fasteddy001 Member Posts: 13
    Must have DSG, can't find one locally. Only seen reds, pla gray and one black with a 6 spd manual. Please post if you know where a black GLI with DSG is
    Most dealers have inventory on line. If you go to vw.com and use the "find dealer" feature you can get to the inventory list for most dealers.
  • lorelore Member Posts: 17
    Our dealer told us that dealerships only get a certain amount of 2.5 VE (Value Edition) models. Is this true? Can any dealership just order one anytime they want or do they only make a few of these models?
    Certainly you can order one. It is then up to VW to schedule when they will build it...or else the dealer will find one from another dealer.