Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Jetta Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    tbrametbrame Member Posts: 2
    Wanted to share my buying experience:

I just purchased (end of last month, so I guess it has been a month now ;-)) a new Jetta 2.5S black with the alloy rims, rubber mats, and ipod adapter. I paid 17,700 for the car. Hopefully this helps someone, this site certainly helped me out.

Thanks all!
  • Options
    muratarummuratarum Member Posts: 5
    I have found a 15k 2007 Jetta W. ed. manual in a dealer in GA. Carfax says that the car has an accident report from NY. But no other details. I just moved to US and I want to be sure that the car had a small accident only. How can I ???

The price I was offered is just under 14k. When I was inspecting the radio i found that the previous owner installed a pioneer GPS. The dealer did know about the DVD player but after seeing the GPS he refused to give me any more discount. The warranty is valid until 2011 sept but if something has happened in that accident will the warranty cover any related repairs?
  • Options
    ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    You have to have the car inspected. I had a car that had a minor scrape on the roof from construction debris. It showed up in a car fax as "Frame Damaged," The damage cost around a thousand to repair. Or it could have been a full-blown mess with airbag deployment and everything.
  • Options
    andrewrh3andrewrh3 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought the 2009 2.5L 6 Speed Automatic Jetta S California Edition (includes bluetooth, 17" alloy wheels, heated seats and a few other extras) for $17,741.90 plus gov't fees, taxes and doc fees. Price in San Diego was $19,649.88 OTD. Think it is a very good price; may not be best ever, but I wanted to do the transaction quickly, and it is a nice looking car - picked it up in Platinum Gray / Art Gray. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    investor27investor27 Member Posts: 59
    Wow! That's $6,400 below my OTD price of the Jetta TDI SportsWagen with DSG and Blutooth only on order. My state has a 5% tax, but I can't believe the deal you got. Maybe I should cancel the order, and get my deposit back.
  • Options
    tauntaun Member Posts: 8
    The TDI Sportswagon is a completely different animal, if not a rare one. It's apples to oranges if you're comparing pricing with the Jetta S sedan. Because of scarce quantities, few dealers in northern california have them, and if they do the best you can expect is MSRP. Most dealers are selling them with mark up above MSRP. We'll see if this continues in future months if supply increases, but for now this is the case. At least in my region.
  • Options
    holew1holew1 Member Posts: 1
    Where did you purchase your Jetta Diesel at an $800 disc from list price?

Also was there a bunch of dealer add ons which had artificially hiked up the price of the car so that in reality the $800 discount was no discount at all?

I am in a suburb of Baltimore, Maryland. The dealers here have only a few Diesel Jetta's in stock all with manual transmissions. There was one sport wagon in stock but for the most part full list price os the order of the day and the cars are already spoken for before they arrive at the dealer.

In other words the Jetta diesel wagon is a hot item and even in these troubled times are selling well.

BTW has anyone noticed that the priced of diesel fuel is now below the price of regular gasoline? It is 2 to 5 cents below regular gas in Harford County Maryland which is about 15 miles northeast of Baltimore.
  • Options
    m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    The price of diesel has been less than reg unleaded for several months. In the midwest it is between .10 and .40 cheaper.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A national reporter is looking to speak to consumers who purchased a Volkswagen (VW) vehicle recently (within the past four months). Please send your daytime phone number and the vehicle you own to ctalati@edmunds.com by Friday, June 5, 2009.

Thanks,
    Chintan
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    philoslphilosl Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Koeppel VW at NYC posted an ad for Jetta TDI Sedan for $18,295. This seems the best price I can get from NY area dealers. But the better price of Koeppel's, compared to others, seems too good. I called them and didn't get much info. One salesperson told me this is for manual; the other said it is for automatic. I asked for out-of-door price but they wouldn't say.

What things do I need to pay attention to in the buying process, like hidden fees, and etc.? How much did people pay for TDI sedan in NY area? Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

philos
  • Options
    merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I looked at an S modl today...a totally standard car....it kisted for just under $18,200...the dealer offered it for $17,400....This still seemed a little high....Can anyone comment?
  • Options
    lali3lali3 Member Posts: 16
    If you closely see MSRP is 23740 and their stock # says they are Automatic

Per the following AD, I see 2 cars left in stock
    Looks like a good bargain

http://www.koeppelvw.com/MiscPage_2
    http://www.koeppelvw.com/VehicleDetails/355282713
    http://www.koeppelvw.com/VehicleDetails/326252423

I live in PA so too far to checkit out
    let me know if you are able to score one with your experiance.
  • Options
    mandyjanemandyjane Member Posts: 3
    Are you secretly a Honda salesman or dealer? I love me a good Honda. They're great cars, but this is a VW Jetta forum. Three posts promoting Hondas is probably enough. ;)
  • Options
    At the end of May, my husband and I purchased a slightly hail damaged (as in, I can't see it if I'm not specifically looking for it) 2009 Salsa Red Jetta S with Anthracite interior, Jetta Mat Kit, and iPod adapter (love that thing) at Charles Maund in Austin, Texas for $16.5k+TTL and 6.9% APR. No trade in (offer wasn't what we'd like, so we're selling it ourselves). We did all negotiations via internet, and the internet salesmen were extremely helpful and answered all of my (many) questions quickly. It made our first-time car-buying experience much easier than it otherwise would have been. We LOVE that car.

The only complaint I had about that entire experience was the finance manager. My husband and I have fairly good credit, and he kept trying to get us to tell him how we managed to get it that way since we're so young (23 & 24). I was irritated because, quite frankly, that wasn't any of his business. He had both our credit reports right in front of him which is, quite frankly, all he needed to know.
  • Options
    abeaglerabeagler Member Posts: 7
    I'd be thrilled if I could get that kind of offer. Dealers around here are giving me MSRP quotes. The ones that are giving me anything lower seem kind of evasive about their inventory. That wouldn't bother me much, but they're two hours away and I really need to nail down something solid before I take most of a day to drive up there and back. Two others haven't even responded to emails after several days.

Here I thought being a buyer in the current market might be a good position, but apparently not.

Colin
  • Options
    Being a buyer in this market is, oddly enough, more difficult. It seems like dealers are reluctant to cling to prices on the sales they do get more tightly because so few people are buying. Just my theory, though.

Try to find a hail sale if you can. Usually, the damage is extremely light, and the price goes down ridiculously.

As soon as we saw this car, we stopped looking. We went home, and I started the negotiations. That was on a Tuesday. The car was in our driveway by Saturday night.
  • Options
    Update for those who might be shopping for a Jetta. Three dealers have now lopped $500 off below invoice in their offers to me, with the caveat that this cannot be combined with the 0% interest offer. These are dealers in Indianapolis and Lafayette, IN, and Chicago, IL.

We're close to buying but just need for dealers to get registered and moving with the cash for clunkers program
  • Options
    blaurenceblaurence Member Posts: 4
    Since there aren't many SW TDI's around and they're going for near MSRP, I'm wondering if we could get a better deal for a 2010 if we're willing to wait two months (plus then we could get the exact colors and options we want instead of settling). Any ideas if there's an increase in price for the 2010, whether dealers will be more likely to take closer to invoice since there will be more inventory, and if there will be any national financing deals again with good APR?
    Tanks!
  • Options
    matt_vw_salesmatt_vw_sales Member Posts: 1
    I work at a Metro Atlanta Dealer and waiting for the 2010 Sportwagen is definitely the way to go. If you are lucky enough to find a Sportwagen now you'll pay close to MSRP or over in some parts of the country. This close to a new model year and a facelift for the SW it would not be a good financial decision.

Our TDI SW's are on order and expected for 60 days or so, I'd encourage waiting.

Matt
  • Options
    dmarkhdmarkh Member Posts: 8
    Have been negotiating with dealers in Boston area for 2009 Jetta SE with Manual transmission. Best offer I have is 19,500 (all fees included but not tax and registration). Included Mat package, Bluetooth and IPod adapter options. 21,349 MSRP, 19900 Invoice. Also includes 0% financng. Anyone doing any better??
    D
  • Options
    drfrisbiedrfrisbie Member Posts: 1
    The only VW dealership in Tulsa is asking MSRP + $2000 Market Adjustment + $700 Dealer Add Ons for all remaining Jetta TDI's. I offered MSRP - $500, and they didn't even consider it. Seems like cash for clunkers has driven up the demand, and combined with low supply, the dealer, at least in Tulsa, can get over retail for this car now.
  • Options
    claudin11claudin11 Member Posts: 2
    I'm waaaaayyyy late to the Sportwagen TDI party...seems like I'm too late.

I was never in the market for a new car but once the cash for clunkers deal came along I started to look around (online) a bit and quickly realized that the Sportwagen TDI is the perfect car for me (lots of leg room, great mileage, and a wagon). I also have a new job and will do some serious commute miles for a few months and the “clunker” is not going to make it much longer.

I quickly realized that this car is very difficult to find. I live in the inland Pacific Northwest (90 minutes away from Spokane and 5 hours form Seattle). Looking around the NW it seems as though there are very few SW TDIs available. Yesterday I went up to Appleway VW in Spokane to just look at the gas SW and to my surprise they actually do have a Sportwagen TDI. It's a manual with 16" wheels and has the sunroof and the iPod adapter. The salesman disclosed immediately that this car was involved in an accident (a fender bender as it was pulling out of the lot and it was currently being fixed). He showed me the car back in the body shop area where it was apart and being fixed. He says that it will still be covered under warranty and the accident will never show up on a carfax report.

He also said that they will sell it at MSRP of $26095...and that's it...no dealing since it is such a hot item.

I was not ready to wheel and deal right then and there and thought I may have a leg up because of the little accident. After getting home and doing more research it seems as though I may be screwed as far as dealing goes. My "clunker" is getting quite bad though it can probably make it to Portland, Boise, or Seattle so I’m willing to travel a bit if it will save me some cash.

Any opinions would be appreciated...basically I’m wondering what kind of offer I should go it with. I’ve never purchased a new car before and everything I read talks about starting below invoice but the TDI seems like a different beast due to the demand.

If this is not the forum to post this "question" in sorry to waste your time.

Thanks
  • Options
    micosilvermicosilver Member Posts: 212
    Any opinions would be appreciated...basically I’m wondering what kind of offer I should go it with. I’ve never purchased a new car before and everything I read talks about starting below invoice but the TDI seems like a different beast due to the demand

Based on what you are saying, and what I know as a VW salesman - take the car at MSRP, or someone else will.
    When he is telling you they will sell it at MSRP - there is no hidden meaning to it, don't waste anyone's time with offers.
  • Options
    claudin11claudin11 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks...that what I thought. I could not pull the trigger due to the sunroof. Someone else did, though.

Looks like I'll just be looking at a regular Jetta TDI.
  • Options
    outlawjjoutlawjj Member Posts: 1
    I am taking advantage of the cash for clunkers program and trading in my 1997 Jeep Cherokee country 4WD for a 2009 VW Jetta TDi Sportwagen. I am writing from Georgia and the only manual transmission wagon that I could find is in Chicago. I put my deposit down on Monday and driving up this weekend. The manual is a must for us. We have had the Jeep since new, it has 173000 miles. We are buying the Jetta TDi because we believe that it will last just as long (and hopefully longer) and get 40+ MPG. I thought it was crazy that no Tdi's were available in the SW US. The dealer in Chicago told me that this was the last one there as well. I called almost everywhere! I could find a couple auto trans, but no manual. Good luck if you are still looking. If that extra money gets approved from congress, you may be able to order a 2010, but you are risking it!
  • Options
    investor27investor27 Member Posts: 59
    Were you able to get the Sportwagen at MSRP? If not, how much higher?
  • Options
    We bought our Jetta S on Monday. Price was something like $17,977, and it came with the iPod adapter, rubber mats/trunk liner and alloy wheels. The price was about a thousand below sticker, and $500 below invoice. We got $3500 on cash for clunkers for our terminally rusting 1995 Isuzu Rodeo, so that was cool.

As an aside, I think the iPod adapter is kinda crappy, it doesn't function nearly as seamlessly as the one in our Honda Fit. Given its limited navigation functionality, I'd prefer to just have the basic AUX jack. But, that's what the car came with, and as we found out, finding S manuals is not easy. Most dealers only had one in stock.
  • Options
    littlebean00littlebean00 Member Posts: 6
    Just bought a 2009 Jetta SE (candy white) automatic with Premium iPod, Bluetooth, and rubber mats (MSRP = $22,543; invoice = $21,292) for $19,800 plus tax/title. That's $1,492 under invoice. 3.9% financing. The car is great. Columbus, OH
  • Options
    doug889doug889 Member Posts: 60
    Hi all. I am looking to get a Jetta SE for my son in the next several months. Just wonder what kind of deals folks are getting for Jetta SE in Baltimore/Washington area? Should I wait until the cash for clunker craze is over?

Thanks.
  • Options
    dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    Long time Doug. You still have your 330 convertible?

Clunker craze is just that. I'd wait.
  • Options
    audipuffaudipuff Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone. I am torn between leasing or buying the 2009 Jetta.

Solely looking at value (depreciation, etc.), would it be better leasing or buying? Enlighten me please. Thank you.
  • Options
    Yeah, it's been a long time since I posted here but I have been lurking on and off. I sold the 330 convertible few years ago and bought a 750i, a hell of a car I must say. Now the boy is learning to drive, I don't really want him to practice with my 750 or the wife's MDX, they are too big and too wide for him. I want to get him a Jetta SE. I know it's not the most reliable car out there but when I closed the door of the Jetta, I know it's a much more solid car than the Civic or the Corola or most other compact cars.

I sent emails to two dealers but they don't even bother to respond. Must be too busy with cash for clunker.

I think I will wait a bit, the 2010 model will be out anytime.

Regards.
  • Options
    ptn206ptn206 Member Posts: 1
    MSRP: 22,198 With clunker, it was $14,500 out the door. I'm quite psyched. Love the stick.. Love the car..
  • Options
    dru37dru37 Member Posts: 40
    Just bought a Candy White Jetta SE automatic with bluetooth and premium ipod for $21,500 plus doc fees of $580 and sales tax. They didn't want to budge on the price, but I was able to squeeze hard on the value of my trade-in.
  • Options
    This is the Jetta SE with the exact options I am looking for. The MSRP including freight is $22,543. Local dealers have them for $20,000 to $21,700 (including freight, excluding doc. fee and taxes). I haven't tried to get qoates from dealers. Some dealers already have some 2010 Jettas on their lots. Hopefully with the 2010 model arriving and the cash for clunker program ending tomorrow, dealers should be more motivated to clear their 2009 models.
  • Options
    jimbo82jimbo82 Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a 09 SE Jetta with what the dealer here in Miami,FL called the Southeastern package (17' inch rims,ipod adapter,Bluetooth,6 disc cd changer) for $21,500, didnt want to budge much in final sales price, seems to be a few 100 under Invoice. Was this a decent deal? I love the car though!
  • Options
    bl_njbl_nj Member Posts: 1
    Hi, could you tell me which dealer you went to? I am planning to buy a 2009 Jetta SE in NJ this week as well. Thanks
  • Options
    bisdamonlbisdamonl Member Posts: 5
    I leased my Jetta SE last Nov from Young VW in Easton, PA, which may not be too far from you. I forget the final price but my lease is $300/month. I'm actually thinking of selling mine. I've only got 7000 mi on it and the lease buyout is around $18,000. That puts me at about a grand under blue book.
  • Options
    rossonerirossoneri Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 09 Jetta S Auto + 16" Alloy last week, TX. The d.o. price was 19k, is this an ok deal? Overall, I like this car. But I found a problem that stick shift does not feels smooth enough while shifting between P, R, D, S. Wondering if this is a common problem or it'll be getting smoother along with break-in.
  • Options
    newtdiguynewtdiguy Member Posts: 4
    Anyone recently purchase a 2010 TDI sedan. Looking to get one soon . Is anyone discounting them to spur DEAD sales for this Fall?????? I notice alot of 2009 leftovers but I like the 2010 model better.
  • Options
    mushroomheadmushroomhead Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I like this car too and is currently looking for one. What do you mean d.o? Do you mind share the out of door price? Thanks.
  • Options
    rbk3rbk3 Member Posts: 34
    2010 Wolfsburg, msrp $24015.00. Sale price $22000.00, plus $462.00 (B.S. Charge), plus tax & doc fee.

Price: 22,462.00? It sounds okay, but there is tons of inventory and very few buyers.
  • Options
    fho2008fho2008 Member Posts: 393
    09 TDI's? Cant find em around here, where do they have em?
  • Options
    jettaknightjettaknight Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2010 TDI near Fredericksburg VA 24450 plus tax out the door. No sunroof, no 17 wheels and no navigation. otherwise loaded.
  • Options
    sprinkler13sprinkler13 Member Posts: 452
    Do you happen to have the lease numbers for both the 2010 and 2009 VW Jetta's...all trim levels if possible? Thanks.
  • Options
    justfrank70justfrank70 Member Posts: 1
    Have you already purchased your 2010 TDI wagon? If not, I know of an untitled one with 1000 miles on in Columbia SC. The dealer Wray VW is selling it back of invoice. (Silver / dark interior, roof, 17" wheels, DSG trans.mat kit) MSRP 28,125. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    guzzguzz Member Posts: 1
    Finally bought 2010 Jetta SE Blue Graphite with floor mat option for $20,1xx at Stevens Creek VW, San Jose, CA. The whole process was smooth and the Sales team Riaz Ahmed and Raja Tharmaraja were awesome. First time me and my wife felt comfortable talking to a Salesman. Would recommend this team to anybody.
  • Options
    drnick5583drnick5583 Member Posts: 8
    Hello, I need some help with the following deal, my girlfriend is trying to get out of her old car but is currently upside down by about 3500 bucks.. (thanks to the service contract she bought and god knows what else at the closing.........this was before I as with her, it never would of happened on my watch, lol)

it's a 2006 jeep commander base model with 4X4, 26,000 miles. (kbb and edmunds say trade in is about 12,000, private party about 14,000 and dealer retail a little over 16,000)

heres their offer

2010 jetta SE, 5speed manual. $21,360
    Trade: 2006 Jeep commander 4X4 $14,300
    Down payment $2,000
    reg/dealer fees $400

60 months @ 1.9% = 410 a month

now the jetta is being sold at MSRP, the salesmen said they added 800 to the value of the car instead of taking it off the sticker of the car as "its better for tax purposes"

after everything, I figured their max profit on the car (with 2% holdback) to be about 1600 bucks. the 2 other dealers we saw were only going to give 12k or 12,500 for the jeep so im thinking this is a decent deal.

I was going to counter with this:

2010 jetta SE, 5speed manual. $20,900
    Trade: 2006 Jeep commander 4X4 $14,300
    Down payment $2,000
    reg/dealer fees $400

60 months @1.9 = $399 month

thoughts? is this a good approach? should I try and go lower? are there any hidden cash to dealer incentives that im not aware of?

thanks in advance!
  • Options
    mark_man3000mark_man3000 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought 1996 VW JETTA (GL) with 107,000 miles. Does anyone has same year,how does it drive? Any after market parts.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,189
    Hello!

We have a whole list of Jetta discussions. This one focuses mainly on the price of new models.

Click the link, and you'll see a whole list to pick from, and one that might be on topic for your question. VW Jetta forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator