Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Jetta Prices Paid and Buying Experience

18910111214»

Comments

• pveravanichpveravanich Member Posts: 4
    @vigorlover, as far as I can tell the price you've been quoted is well below invoice. Which dealer provided the quote? I would jump on this.
  • vigorlovervigorlover Member Posts: 40
    I signed the deal with Sunnyvale VW for $25,149 (including destination) for a 2011 Platinum Grey JSW TDI, DSG, with the sunroomf and wheel package. Still qualifies for the federal tax credit, just in time. Interestingly, the VW dealers I spoke with were more willing to deal on the 2011 JSWs than the few leftover 2010s they had. For the JSW, 2011 is the same as 2010 (they just modified what options were available in various packages, but same car, not switched to new platform like the sedan is).
  • maria_bettinamaria_bettina Member Posts: 7
    That seems like a decent deal. I hope my brother can get the same deal in Sunnyvale.

My brother is looking at buying the same model, and the Santa Cruz dealership wants to charge him an extra $3000 on top of MSRP at this time. Has anyone else heard of this extra fee they are tacking on? Is it just this one dealership, or is it California-wide, or nationwide?

What are others' buying their 2011 JSW TDI for this month (please don't include TTL b/c it varies so much)?

Thanks for any info!

Maria
  • marta61marta61 Member Posts: 2
    I bought the 2011 Sala Red Jetta Sportswagen TDI from Stevens Creek VW in San Jose, CA for $27,775 + TTL with the Panoramic sunroof, upgraded 17" wheels, floor mats, rear airbags, and side moulding. This was Javier's first sale and the whole team was fantastic to deal with. We bought it on March 13, 2011. Absolutely love the car and getting great gas mileage!
  • ggeeooggeeoo Member Posts: 94
    I have one it has 14,998 miles I get compliments all the time on it's style. Wait
    til you take it for a 7 hour ride . I drove to from Newport Beach to Tempe AZ
    on 3/4 of a tank of fuel. Sign up for a Pen Fed Credit Card and get 5% back on all fuel that knocks the 4.25 at Vallero to 4.03. The only design change I would make and have made is to put vinyl protector on top of rear bumper to
    protect it when talking gear in and out of the tailgate. You can get a roll of it at Pepboys if your not handy a tint shop can install it.
    My CPAP machine broke when blew a fuse on the board. I mention this b/c there is no site that offers advice on fixing appliances. I sent the CPAP to Medical equipment repair place but they could not repair it or find anyone else. I took the bull \by the horns. With a voltmeter and some help from Mar Vac in Costa Mesa. Found that the fuse was actually soldered onto the board where the power adapter 12 volt comes in logical. Then he sold me 1.99 fuse and problem fixed.I simply soldered a new fuse right on top of the old fuse and my 400.00 machine works
    again. Our community is a large one so share your successes it might help someone else. I am
    sure there are electronic boards that fail in cars that can be fixed like this.
  • marta61marta61 Member Posts: 2
    That's a great tip on the rear bumper protection. Took it out with golf clubs today and was worried as I dragged a few things across the bumper. Leaving in 10 days to go to time share at Newport Beach, CA Marriott Villas. Looking forward to the trip and getting there in 1 tank of gas!!!
  • chuckstyl5chuckstyl5 Member Posts: 4
    What kind of lease deals are guys getting who have a Jetta SEL with Sunroof ... I would just like to have some of your expertise before I head out into the wild haha - do any of you use truecar.com for the lease purchase price as well?? Looking for a 3 year 12000miles and I think MSRP is approx $24,165

Thank you guys :-) 

This will be my first lease so I want to do it right and not get ripped off too bad haha
  • goatcartergoatcarter Member Posts: 1
    Dealership in NJ is pushing a new Sportwagen TDI DSG with the only option being pano sunroof (and protection package which is of limited interest to me) for 26,730 including destination. Out the door about 29,130.

Dealer claims there's no more wiggle room, as this is just below invoice, but I see @vigorlover (#678) buying the same car in CA with 17" wheels as well for $25,149 in December. Gives me pause. I don't want to be unreasonable/unrealistic but I am willing to wait for the best deal. Any thoughts on going rate would be much appreciated.

Also, would one ever convince the dealer to throw in installation of an ipod adapter? This particular car doesn't have the premium package with navigation, etc. Thanks for any input.
  • vigorlovervigorlover Member Posts: 40
    Perhaps the dealership was more willing to deal with me since I was buying at the very end of the year, and they wanted to get their numbers up to get more inventory or better kickbacks or whatever.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter is interested in talking with Volkswagen customers who are excited about the upcoming Passat or car shoppers who thought about a Volkswagen vehicle but recently passed on it.
    If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than 5pm Pacific this Wednesday, May 11th and include your name and email address.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• hellaseihellasei Member Posts: 1
    Got the Jetta SEw/con package no sun roof (model #1624Z3), test drive was what sold me, the price at Stevens Creek VW, $19,350, locked me. Based on TrueCar.com this should be a great price. It was a very smooth affair at the dealership, no pressure very friendly, highly recommend them.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter is hoping to talk with the owner of a new VW Jetta. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Monday, June 20, 2011 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience with the car so far.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• nam9nam9 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    Hello All,

Need your advice, i got a deal today for 2009 Jetta at 12K price from a private party. Registration and taxes extra. Mileage 30K.

Is this a good deal to purchase?

Car details
    2009 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA S
    SEDAN 4 DR
    2.5L L5 SFI DOHC 20V

nam9
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    Yes it's a great deal. Whatever the price is, and whatever options it includes. Enjoy.
  • sechung80sechung80 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, please let me know if this is a good deal:

Jetta S auto
    18626 out the door price.
    I am in New Jersey so tax is 7%.

Thanks
  • msurbrowmsurbrow Member Posts: 8
    2012 GLI Autobahn, automatic, appearance pkg, candy white

Selling price of car: $26,350

$1500 up front includes acq fee, 1st mo payment, taxes, registration/title, zero cap cost reduction

36 month lease @ 12,000mi/year, $330/month inclusive of all taxes, etc

Thoughts? I'm pretty sure I got a good deal!

--jeff
  • dulesdules Member Posts: 37
    We are in CT and considering trading an 03 Forester towards a TDI sportwagen. Any suggestions of dealers/internet sales etc. to get the best deal?

I leased a Pilot earlier this year and the Pilot forum had a dealer that no one could beat (but my dealer matched). Hoping to find something similar for the Jetta.

This is to buy, not lease, and 1.9 for 60 months is nice but I'm looking for an improvement on the OTD pricing as well.

Thanks!
  • dadof4kidsdadof4kids Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to buy a new 2012 Sportwagen TDI automatic transmission and was wondering what is the best recent deal anyone has gotten on one?

Thanks
    I bought mine for 26,000 out the door with glass roof and lux pakage. Note as soon as you can replace tires with NOKIAN ENTYRE get another 11 mpg thats 63 mpg.
  • dadof4kidsdadof4kids Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2012
    ggeeoo, where and when did you buy yours?

Also, why would adding those tires add 11 mpg?

Also, what is the lux package?
  • harrysolomon1harrysolomon1 Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2012
    I'm looking to buy a new 2012 Jetta SE with the 6-speed automatic transmission and without the convenience package and sunroof options.

One of my local dealers has quoted me a price over the phone of $17,990 which includes the destination fee (obviously) and $1000 rebate which is apparently being offered this month.

Does anybody have an opinion of whether this is a good enough deal to go ahead and purchase this car now?

Or should I wait for a month or two until the 2013 models start showing up and possibly get a better deal for this car?

Thanks,
    harrysolomon1
  • fho2008fho2008 Member Posts: 393
    Is it an auto or DSG? There is a difference. They changed a ton of things with gen VI Jettas.....drove a Tiguan auto didnt like it, prefer DSG.
  • harrysolomon1harrysolomon1 Member Posts: 2
    The price we were quoted was for the 6-speed automatic transmission.
    The DSG has been called an automatic but its really a manual that shifts by itself. Having DSG in my car and have driven the tig with a real 6 auto I prefer DSG.
  • enjoythepathenjoythepath Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2012
    hi folks. getting ready to purchase a 2012 Jetta Sedan, TDI, premium with the Fender audio, with Nav. We are in North Carolina.
    have been given two quotes: one is for a manual, for 24,900. Other is for DSG, for 25,900.
    Are these good deals, based on what people are seeing?

I am sure this has been discussed to death on this list elsewhere, but putting aside personal preference of manual vs. DSG, any considerations for resale value and possibly MPG?

many thanks.
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190
    I am sure this has been discussed to death on this list elsewhere, but putting aside personal preference of manual vs. DSG, any considerations for resale value and possibly MPG?

Resale might be trickier with the manual, because so few Americans can actually drive one. How the difference in resale stacks up against the $1000 difference in purchase price probably depends on how long you keep it.

And isn't the maintenance schedule pretty rigorous on the DSG?
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • val26val26 Member Posts: 3
    Buying a 2013 Jetta 2.5L SEL Automatic Transmision w/Nav. Dealer told me I could buy at their $25,036 invoice price ($24,241 + $795 destination charge). Not including 'extras' of tax, RMV, doc fees and inspection (another $2,049.63). I'm going to ask the dealer to pay the extras so that I drive off at $25,036, which would be . Would that be a good deal? Are the rebates and incentives worth more than the $3,058 difference b/t MSRP and invoice (with the extras paid for by the dealer)? Is it unrealistic to think that the dealer would eat those other costs?
  • highlanderguyhighlanderguy Member Posts: 3
    I'm in LA. Just got a quote (11/9/12) on a '13 Jetta SE automatic, w/convenience pkg and sunroof. MSRP $23,502, invoice $22,569, price $21,100. Seems like a good price. Any better deals recently?
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Sat in a couple of these the other day and really loved the perforated leather seats, very comfortable. And the dash was laid out very nicely...very ergonomic where everything was right where it should be. The exterior is nicely done for a compact car...they had a red one in the showroom which was so glossy, absolutely beautiful. The only bad thing was the so so mileage from the 5 cylinder engine. But overall, something I could live with as a dd.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• dadof2plusdogdadof2plusdog Member Posts: 10
    I got a quote on the East Coast (Philly suburbs) for the exact same car for $21,151 for auto, 20,151 manual including destination charge. Thinking on making the deal, have been emailing back and forth with 2 dealers for a week now.
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    just got back with my girlfriend who just purchased her first brand new car ever after many years of used cars.she got a 2013 vw jetta S with auto.only additional options were floor mats and first aid kit.msrp was $18,570.00 and the final negotiated price was $17,000.00..i test drove this car as well and it is extremly very slow with only 115 hp..iam assuming here that the 0-60 run would be in between 10-15 seconds.but my girlfriend wanted to keep the price low and so you might say that she got what she paid for..i tried talking her into getting the SE model with 170 hp but she didn't want to spend the extra bucks.however,what is nice here is that VW has included 3 years of free maintanence including oil changes and tire rotations....
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    just returned this morning with a friend of mine who was comparing 2 cars that he was interested in.2013 VW jetta S and 2013 hyundai elantra gls with preffered package and auto.the msrp for the jetta S model was $18,800.00 and the msrp for the hyundai elantra was $19,685.00....hard to beleive that only 800 bucks seperates these 2 cars and the elantra offers way more standard features.these are the things that the elantra has that the vw is missing.better warranty,more power,sat radio,steering wheel controls,bluetooth,alloy wheels,fog lights,heated seats,ect...why in the world would anybody choose the vw over the elantra for only a 800 dollar difference???
    Your posts are very hard to read. Please use capital letters at the start of each sentence and proper punctuation...like skip two spaces after the end of a sentence. Makes one's posts easier to read and understand with the use of proper English and punctuation. Just a thought...look at other posts and maybe you'll understand what I mean.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• abforumsabforums Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2013
    Getting $23,600 OTD NEW 2012 Jetta TDI Premium (no Navigation), Automatic, Blk/CornShell .

Base Price 21000
    Tax 1470
    Dealer Fee 730
    Tag 400
    ----------- --------
    TOTAL 23600
    ----------- --------
    Is this a good deal?
    My first TDI...
    Will appreciate any feedback!
    Dealer fee?

WTF is that?

A few years ago I was looking for a truck....the saleslady said "theres a $500 city of ------ fee on every vehicle we sell."

I walked.

A few years later I bought my VW, you could throw a rock and hit the dealer that tried pulling that fee BS on me...right down the street, I would tell em what to do with the fee.
  • dangerfishdangerfish Member Posts: 4
    I have a car local to me being offered for $19K at a dealer. It is a CPO and has just shy of 5K miles on it. I offered $17.3 and they rejected it. Wondering how much wiggle room I have here. The CPO does get an extra 24K mile dealer warranty but I'm not planning on keeping the car that long. Thoughts on price?
    What exactly is in the Convenience Package? These are nice looking vehicles especially in red and am anxious to try one at work. I've only seen one so far in all the vehicles that we have transported and if it's anything like the Passat I drove, I know I'm gonna like it. Not crazy for a sunroof but if I bought a CPO unit that had one, I'd suffer with it...lol! I prefer the alloys but from what I've seen, not all SE models come with them and all that I've seen at hertz have the wheel covers which look like crap actually...they're not even the bolt on type! Though I'm not a VW fan, if I had to, I'd buy one and hope that all the gremlins had been exorsized!

• dangerfishdangerfish Member Posts: 4
    Convenience and Sunroof add the following options:

16" Sedona alloy wheels
    Bluetooth® with audio streaming
    SiriusXM Satellite Radio with 3-month trial subscription
    Media Device Interface (MDI) with iPod® cable
    Heated seats
    Leather-wrapped multifunction steering wheel
    6-speaker sound system
    Power tilting/sliding tinted sunroof
    Premium VIII touchscreen sound system with HD Radio™
    Sounds like a really good deal with all those goodies. Have driven the Jetta and it really is a nice daily driver. All the extra's just add to the fun of the car. Personally, I really like the red and blue colors. They have a red one at the Mazda dealer across the street I'd love to test drive. Still afraid of all the electrical gremlins that seem to plague VW's and their coil pack issues so doubt I'd ever purchase one but one never knows what the future will hold!

• ironmantkironmantk Member Posts: 10
    Usaa had a $2100 of this model (runs of truecar but a little better deal): Then I got lucky with a $422 price beater in Orlando VW and to my surprise my local Brandon dealer matched the deal + $200 for driving in the color we wanted! OTD $28,200.00 with a tag transfer. For those who want to know I drove this model around town and compared it to the tdi; tdi did great in town of 38mpg driven lightly, but the hybrid beat it with 47mpg driven lightly! We end up in car lines for children that would hurt our mpg in tdi too, so we did think too hard between the models ... i just hope resale is close to the stealer TDI (best in country!)!
  • ironmantkironmantk Member Posts: 10
    By the way Usaa did a 60 mo. 1.75% finance deal!!! I also got upgraded 17" wheel & tire package for $545 (passat new take off wheels) and a leather interior$1100 installed. Can I post pictures here?
  • lotzacarslotzacars Member Posts: 9
    I just purchased a 2013 Jetta TDI with DSG. Sticker price was $25,055, which included floormats ($235), first aid kit ($35), and a credit of $100 for non-power driver's seat.

Purchase price was $21,500, plus 6% sales tax of $1,343.75, doc fee of $179, and license fees of approximately $165, for an OTD price of $23,200.

I also got 0% financing for 36 months and VW of America is paying the first monthly payment of $500 which effectively lowers the price to $21,000 plus TTL. The car had been in inventory for 6 months and I think they were motivated to move it. I ended up with a better deal than I thought possible. The dealership experience was professional...no gimmicks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Holy cow! $3500 off sticker on a diesel? Things really have changed.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• lotzacarslotzacars Member Posts: 9
    The deal offerred by the dealer was on that car only. I could not substitute the price for a different color combo which was fine as the color combo of platinum gray/black was acceptable. I know the car had been there for six months based on the date of the state safety inspection sticker. It had been stored at an off-site lot and only had 10 miles on the odometer. I am not sure why the price on that car was so aggressive, but I guess I was at the right place at the right time. i originally went in to look at a SE convenience package 2.5, but was willing to reach for a TDI at that price.
  • vladlink1990vladlink1990 Member Posts: 3
    I just got my Jetta S in NY for 169/month and 2190 due at signing including all taxes and fees. Awesome car and its good on gas.
  • rrocksrrocks Member Posts: 13
    Just purchased a 2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium and Navigation.
    17" wheels part of the package
    Plus TDI mats.
    $25,500 plus tax and DMV fees
    What makes this deal incredible is that they also bought out a lease which had 13 months to go.
    Commonwealth VW in Santa Ana. Alex is a chill sales guy.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    '..bought out a lease which had 13 months to go. '
    Wow.
    1 - Congrats!
    2 - Exactly how does something like that work?
    - Ray
    5 months left on a lease....
    2022 X3 M40i
  • rrocksrrocks Member Posts: 13
    @rayainsw, I think this was possible because the lease was through VW and the dealer I went to runs a healthy used VW/Audi facility. In other words, they got the payoff amount from VW and agreed to buy the car for that amount. BEFORE signing for the Jetta, we signed the paper selling them the leased car.

I would be very careful working out this type of situation because you are basically doing two negotiations -- one selling them your lease and another for the price of the new car. Some factors are whether they are interested in your (used) leased car and whether you owe more on the lease payoff than they are willing to pay. And also if they really want to sell the car you are buying.
  • bikehubstorebikehubstore Member Posts: 3
    I've been getting prices for 2013 Sportwagens (sunroof, nav, and matts) from dealers in North Carolina.

MSRP is $30560.

Best price I have is $29387.55 out the door (tax, title, reg included) with 0.0% / 60 month financing.

How does this sound?