Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche

2»

Comments

• Options
    christalrychristalry Member Posts: 8
    Ok thank you for responding. Good luck to you as well!!
  • Options
    DirtyRaceGirlDirtyRaceGirl Member Posts: 5
    I too have a 2007 Avalanche with 30K and at 26K had a blown tranny, and have received error messages about the tire pressures intermittantly, and then they reset themselves when the car is turned off/on, or when the vehicle begins to move after a stop.

The worst has been the battery issues. I have gone out to my truck on 4 occasions now, to find it won't start. The interior lights will still work, the radio will still work, the gauge lights and information come on, but it just clicks when you try to start it. Each time I have gotten a jump and it has started immediately.

Like the other folks, I am tired of the towing crap and being stranded someplace, waiting for a jump on a vehicle that is fairly new and very expensive.

Has anyone gotten anywhere with Chevy in regards to the problem or is the pat answer just to "live with it?"
  • Options
    atelierarchatelierarch Member Posts: 4
    Mine seems to have settled down after two things occured at the dealer. One they discounected the washer fluid heater due to the recall notice since replacement parts were not available. They also replaced the anti-theft swich/fuse that had a fault.

I hope this helps
  • Options
    Oh let me just tell you--I posted to this site earlier in the year for this battery drain crap I think it was around May. Please see my previous posting.

Well since May I have come out to a dead truck in June,July, November and today Dec. 6. In July I had to jump it so I could go home from work--the dealership was already closed. I called them the next day and told them what was going on AGAIN and I was told that since it is running fine now that no codes would appear and their was no point in bringing it in and suggested that I not jump it, but have it towed in so they could retrieve error codes. (I've been there and done that no codes ever appear whether I jump it or have it towed).
    I then wrote a letter to the dealership and opened a case with GM. A few days later I received a call and they wanted to look at the truck. Well they claimed they found loose terminals at the battery and the starter. They said they used dielectric gel and the problem should be resolved. WELL IT ISN'T.
    In November it happened again. This time I had it towed in as requested. I got back in touch with the GM Corporate office so that they could offer some troubleshooting help. The dealership basically said again that they could not find anything wrong with it because no error codes came up. I spoke to the area manager who suppposedly was involved with the troubleshooting. He had the nerve to tell me that since they couldn't find anything wrong with the truck that it had to be an external source. I asked him what he meant and he said that I am leaving my radar detector or a phone charger plugged in WHICH I AM NOT. Nothing is ever left plugged in and both items were found in the armrest not attached or on the windshield.
    I contacted the BBB Auto Line and opened a complaint. Initally GM didn't want to do anything but they later offered to replace it. I went to the dealership to look at their inventory and I decided to go with a Tahoe instead based on my history with the AVE. They are a little expensive so I knew I would have to come out of pocket a couple of $K difference.
    While I was there I decided against my better judgement to go ahead and look at a 08 AVE Z71 since they were cheaper. Well the salesman went to go get it and IT DID NOT START!!!!!!!!!! He gave the same song and dance about if it sits for a long period of time the battery can go dead. This is the exact same thing they told me when I purchased this one. So later yesterday I get a call from the mgr and he said that they want to charge me mileage (19900 mi) and the sticker difference in order to do the trade. $17,000 out of pocket plus the truck!!!!!!!!!!!! I obiously declined--I returned home aprox 5:30 yesterday and this morning at 08:45 the battery is again DEAD. I had it towed to the dealer again.
    I am going through arbitration later this month. I am also going to file a complaint with the NHTSA and possibly my attorney generals office.
    I paid $38K for this piece of crap and the best thing they can say is well it's yor fault or office to let my but another vehicle. This can't be ok.
    If anyone else is having this problem PLEASE post or at least call GM corporate so that they can see that it is a problem.--12/6/08.
  • Options
    I took my 2007 Avalanche in to the dealer on Saturday AM (by appt) after the 4th time it left me stranded after 5 pm, when the dealership is no longer open. I sat for almost an hour before they came to "log" me in. Then, the guy told me that they should know something by 2pm, was I going to wait. WTF? From 8am til 2pm, sit and wait? I basically said I had to know something about the status of the truck by noon. I'm a single mom, and this is our only mode of transportation. He indicated to me that they may not know anything, and on the weekends, they weren't allowed to give out "loaner cars." He told me I could come back Monday morning at 7am when they open, and I'd have more of a chance that it would be looked at, and a loaner provided if needed.
    He also proceeded to tell me that there probably wasn't anything they could do if the vehicle wasn't experiencing the problem right now. I tried to tell him about some of the issues I had read about, and he told me that the truck probably just needed a new battery, after all, "you do live in Florida." Again I'll say WTF? I have lived here for 6 years and never had to replace a car battery. Not to mention, if the battery was bad, it would not be so easily jumped when it dies. I asked about some of the updates that might solve the problem, and he told me that everytime they hook the car up to the computer, it will automatically tell them if something needs to be updated. I wanted to tell him that the computers have made people lazy, and they aren't infallible - "oh, nothing must be wrong with it, because the computer SAYS it's fine.").
    I too was told to have the vehicle towed in the next time it has this issue. Why should I foot the cost for a tow? I asked the guy to give me his address, and the next time it happens, I'll have the car towed to HIS house so he can see that the dang thing won't start.
    After it happened the 2nd time, I started unplugging anything that was in the charger sockets each time I got out of the vehicle to see if that made a difference, and it didn't make any at all. When I had my Ford I always left my phone charger plugged in and never had this problem.
    If I can get rid of this vehicle I plan to do it - I love the truck when it's running, but the maintenance isn't worth it, and I want to dump it before it hits 36K and is out of warranty.
    I will call GM corporate as well, after I take it in Monday AM and see what they say about it.

Thanks for the extra info!
  • Options
    lewis15lewis15 Member Posts: 1
    2007 Avlanche Heard a pop on acceleration . 1st.2nd, rev worked. 3rd & Drive gone. Dealer sys th transmission oil pump broke. Does this sound right?
    Lewis
  • Options
    caligirlfrtxcaligirlfrtx Member Posts: 1
    It happened yesterday, simply driving down the street and it would not accelerate. When I changed gears, I heard pop. It would not go past 3rd gear. I took it in today and said it is the transmission. This is ridiculous!! Any direction on calling GM would be greatly appreciated because I cannot afford 2,800 to fix it. I may as well turn it back to the bank! Upset!!!!
  • Options
    Thank God mine was still under warranty when the tranny went, or I would have been up a creek without a paddle. I didn't get any extended warranty on this truck, because everyone told me, with a truck, you don't need one. Good for at least 100K miles. I don't see mine lasting that long.
    Upon return to the dealer on Monday AM in regards to the battery problem, they called me Monday afternoon, told me, "Yep, it's the battery." DUH?! They replaced the battery, and it's been ok since then, but after reading this forum, I won't be surprised if it starts acting up again in the next few months.
    Good luck to everyone with their issues - given the whole bailout situation with the car industry, I don't see GM doing anything about this problem.
  • Options
    xsgt1xsgt1 Member Posts: 3
    No more GM's for me thank you very much... 2007 Avalanche with 6 NO STARTS and NO POSSIBILITY OF A BUYBACK... Gee I wonder why General Motors is having problems... I think that their attitude towards CUSTOMER SERVICE needs some fine tuning... Maybe The board of directors need to know just what ole Rick and his cronies are doing or maybe that should be not doing for GM customers...

http://www.my3cents.com/showReview.cgi?id=47934
  • Options
    How many miles did you have on the Ave when the problem first presented itself and is it documented? Definately check on the lemon law in your state. It is imperative that you have ALL documentation from each occurance. If you are still under warranty I would not jump it or let them come out and jump it. It is very inconvenient to wait on a tow, but I would make them tow it and jump it at the delaership. You can't prove it was dead if you jump it yourself. Look at your owners manuel and make sure you follow the steps for filing a complaint. It sounds like you've been in contact with corporate, but you need to write them a letter as well if you haven't already. You also need to contact the BBB. They will inform you as to whether or not you are eligible to file a claim. They will also give you the information that you will need if you choose to go into arbitration.
    Stick to your guns GM is not going to agree that the vehicle is a lemon. Believe me this is not a easy process and certainly not something that you would expect to have to do when purchasing a fairly expensive vehicle.
    I would also contact the owner of the dealership, file a complaint with the NHTSA, and possibly contact your congressman.
    Again documentation is going to be important !!!
    Now Repurchase/Buyback--it is not as sweet as it sounds you will lose $$$ because they will want to charge you for "wear and tear" and you can kiss all the payment you made good by.
    I finally got GM to repurchase mine back after months of hassle but I lost around $16K if you figure in the above factors. With the great deals that are out now you may be better off just trading it in on something else. Yea is sucks, but is it worse the hassle?
    Good Luck!
  • Options
    you should check out the avalanche fan club website www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com--go to forums and then look up battery drain
  • Options
    The truck had 29K when the tranny went, but the battery issue had happened off and on since about 10K miles. I should have been alerted something might be wrong as well, because the day I purchased mine, they couldn't get the OnStar to recognize the vehicle, and they kept it an additional 6 days and got some new sensor put in.
    It's been a little over a month since I got the battery replaced, and we're ok so far, but I am really careful about things - I don't run the air or play the radio all the time, I don't leave it running when I'm just sitting, etc.... I live my life on a time clock, needing to be places on time, so I can't really afford to be stuck somewhere, waiting on a tow.
    I DO have documentation about the jump start, because I would call OnStar to send someone out to do it - at least there is proof there. However, one must keep all the receipts from whomever OnStar sends out, because if you call OnStar and ask them any details about date/time that you requested assistance, they will tell you it's confidential and they cannot give you that info. Again, I'll say WTF? I'm paying for the OnStar service, I made the call for assistance - why in the heck would I not be privvy to my own information?
    Really, I am done with GM - when I get my taxes back, I'm going to trade it in for something else - probably a Tundra - they have a better track record. :sick:
  • Options
    I am registered there already and have posted in regard to the electrical (if that is what it is) NO START isuue. There are other post that seem to be related to the problem and it would appear that GM has not been entirely forthright in the handling of the problem. I can only hope that by my filing with the BBB the issue will be handled fairly. I do have faith in the arbitration process as I have been through it once before. Thanks for your comments. I do appreciate all of the posts that comment on this issue.
  • Options
    pissed5pissed5 Member Posts: 3
    My 07 AV with 31000 km. has suffered 3 dead batteries, rain sense wipers which are total garbage, an instrument cluster which can not be seen in daylight, stuck on front brakes, and lifter noise at cold start up which could be expected after 200000 kms. Nice truck, but when the warranties are over, it has to go.
  • Options
    Yes I have experienced brake problems as well. They replaced the battery after the first time it failed to start. The wipers do come oc occasionly for one wipe but that is infrequent. they told me that the lifter noise is not a concern (I guess they mean for them). That is why I filed for arbitration. The Avalanches are basically a good vehicle but there seeems to be some problems out there that GM needs to address. I don't consider 7000 miles to be adequate mileage for them to classify it as normal wear and tear. They need to get real. I am still under the 36 thousand mile 3 yr warranty but not for much longer.Thanks for your post pissed5.
  • Options
    What really annoys me is when I explain the problem to the service manager I am treated like a moron. The first time the battery went stone dead, I was informed that a software upgrade would fix the problem. On subsequent dead battery no starts no explaination was offered. This is NOT a charging problem, but rather an electrical system[body computer] not shutting off. This thing has got to be the glitchiest vehicle we have ever owned. The sales manager suggested that I had good equity in this vehicle and would love trade me out of the problem. I assured him if he got an 09 F150 I would consider it. As far as having OnStar, who are you going to call with a dead battery?
  • Options
    That's the whole thing about the battery, and the fact that it ISN'T a dead battery - if it was, the battery would not be jumped so easily, nor would any of the interior battery powered things work (like OnStar, the lights, the radio, etc....). Something in the computer system is sucking all the life out of the battery, and for whatever reason, jumping it must "reset" it or at least, "recharge" it enough to go for a few more weeks/months.
    I essentially avoid using the battery any more than I have to while I'm in the car. I've started listening to my iPOD instead of the radio, and with it being winter in Florida, I can crack my windows for ventilation. It sucks that you can pay 28K for a vehicle and still have to do this, but with the recession, I'll never get out from under it.
  • Options
    When my Av does not start the battery has been discharged to almost zero volts, I have checked with the proper tools as I an a mechanic. Here in southern ontario my LT with most off the toys was 56K after taxes.
  • Options
    My battery would dischage to nothing as well. The doors would not unlock with the remote or anything else. Absolutely nothing would happen. I had to call onstar from my cell.
  • Options
    atelierarchatelierarch Member Posts: 4
    I can only add that since both the anti-teft relay and the recalled wiper fluid heater part were replaced my no starts have gone away. I was in at least once a month prior to the recalled part switch out. If these have not been changed on your vehicles have a tech specifically check them. Good luck to all. I am crossing my fingers and hoping not to have jinxed my self and truck.
  • Options
    avman2avman2 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 07 LTZ and began experiencing a lifter tick at about 50k, at 62k, it began consuming oil, after the dealership did their consumption test, they took it in, and REBUILT the motor, after getting the truck back, it started dripping a good bit of oil, took it back, and dealer said it was mech error, so they fixed it. at 66k, I got an add engine oil warning, again, back to the dealer, tech said they're going to start another consumption test,at 67k oil was 1 1/4 quart low. What I'm having a hard time with, is that GM says that 1 quart is acceptable within a 1000 miles, I say, REALLY!!! My 96 GMC that had 222,000 on it, didn't burn a drop, and my sons 01 Ford f250 with 150,000 doesn't burn a drop. How the heck can they say that a truck the cost 56 grand, is okay burning roughly 3 quarts of oil between changes, Im still trying to figure that one out, oh, and I didn't even mention the smoking at startup, but I guess one goes with the other. The truck is currently at the dealership, diagnosing the problem again ( I have to say that the dealership has been great though, their just as frustrated as me, GM should have let them put a brand new motor in, right from the start of all this. the original said cause of this, was the active fuel management system had caused the problem. I have contacted GM directly, and stated that I want a brand new crate motor put in, so wish me luck! BTW for those of you who always seem to have the phantom issues (LOL) the second you get to the dealership, my suggestion to you is to take a video with your cell phone or video camera, just so that when you take your vehicle to them, and they can't find anything wrong, whip that video out, and say there's the dang problem!
This discussion has been closed.