Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• miniviperminiviper Member Posts: 13
    I take it no one else is interested in the X-runner body kit for the DC. Maybe I'm too much of the "fast and the furious" generation.
  • wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    Ball mounts are maybe $15 at Wal-Mart. The amount of drop you need and ball size are dependant on the trailer being towed.

I doubt a dealer would lose a sale over an item that costs them $8. The one they gave you may or might not work with the trailer you plan to tow.
  • nickt1nickt1 Member Posts: 32
    I have a TRD Off-Road Access Cab with both vibrations. The vibration while braking was determined, by the technician, to be coming from the way the tires were gripping the road. I still think, however, that's it's from the transmission downshifting. People on other boards have reported the same vibration. We never did find out what the vibration while accelerating was coming from but it might help you to know that people on other boards have reported it too.
  • streaksstreaks Member Posts: 64
    Have an '05 Acc.Cab 4x4 V6(6M)Off-Road Pkg #2.
    Some ???'s;
    If your thinking modifications(suspension,exhaust,
    etc.)I've been told to use Toyota(TRD)parts.
    Should a problem occur and other aftermarket parts
    were used.There could be warranty problem.
    Anyone else hear this??Thinking of getting the
    Cold air induction(in the works I hear)the headers and the exhaust.Any out there yet??Also,read a lot on hear about paint chipping. Did I see suggestion to use the 3m film behind the flaps?? Good idea??
    Give a heads up if you know..Thanks.
    Some comments:
    Tube steps look good , but like the '04, mount too close .I'm thinkin' Westins or others.
    Don't get the Sport pedals..A pain to keep clean!
    Stock tires..BF Rugged Trail's..Ok ,but maybe the new Bridgestone At's instead.
    Bed liner's really slippy..Maybe the Bed mat is in order.
    Ordered an A.R.E. LSII hard Tonneau..Had one on my "04.Loved it!!
    Got a slick engine tick..We'll see how that goes.
    Slight thud when 4x4 disengages @ lower speed. My '04 did it too. No problem.
    Great site.Good posts and info. Keep it up!!
  • nickt1nickt1 Member Posts: 32
    toytruck:

Toyota's response so far has been to shirk responsibility for the bad paint, but some dealers and repainting as a courtesy. Make sure you call Toyota and open up a case to let them know about the paint problem. We're hoping to flood Toyota with complaints and maybe, just maybe, then Toyota will acknowledge there's a problem with the paint.
  • silvertacomasilvertacoma Member Posts: 2
    I have a Silver '05 Tacoma Double Cab Prerunner. I'm thinking about putting tube steps and maybe a bug reflector on. Does anybody have a picture of a silver DC with these accessories so I can get an idea of what it would look like. Thanks.
  • brodeyobrodeyo Member Posts: 26
    I just noticed on that my windshield's seal, on the driverside, is pulled up off of the glass. It's been raining like cats and dogs out lately, but I haven't noticed a leak or damp smell.... I'm taking it into the dealer this weekend to get it looked at and hopefully fixed. If I had to guess, it looks as if it is damage from delivery.... Who knows though. Could be a production problem. Have you inspected your windshield lately?
  • sonicfluxsonicflux Member Posts: 7
    Update from my last post #2149 regarding water leak and other new owner feedback:

[water leak]
    I'm hoping the worst problems are behind me. The carpet has remained dry since the dealer's second attempt to fix the leak, but I still haven't had the opportunity to drive it in heavy rain. For what it's worth, my taco was made in late '04, and it seems that anyone buying a taco made in Jan 05 or later need not worry.

[fron suspension/cab mount popping sound]
    Months ago I was experiencing this popping sound and read that it was more noticeable on colder days. Well Houston has warmed up considerably, and I haven't heard the popping sound in over a month. It just magically dissapeared.

[parking brake recall]
    I received my recal a few weeks ago. Will take care of it during first oil change. I plan to have the dealer do all oil changes and tire rotation to take advantage of Toyota's "Tires for Life" plan or whatever it's called. Anyone have experience with that plan?

[hard water spots]
    Thanks ecotrklvr for the advice on mixing 1/4 cup of baking soda in a bucket of warm soapy water. The water spots on the windshield came right off without scrubbing :)

[other]
    The truck has ~2200 miles on it now, and I'm finally calming down from the leak problems and am enjoying the new ride again. I love the combination of performace/power and decent gas mileage. And the quality and ergonomics of the interior keep me smiling. Last weekend I hauled a cubic yard of dirt (which took up the entire bed space) and realized that the very minor scratches the dealer put in the interior when fixing the leak aren't a big issue because after all, it's a truck. It would be a shame (and a waste of $$$) if someone bought a new Tacoma and didn't use it as it's intended role simply because they don't want to get it dirty! And after pampering a car for so long worrying about every dent and scratch, it'll be nice to say, "oh well... it's a truck." :p

However, having said that, I did wax it last weekend... just pure carnuba wax with orbital buffer. No Zaino or bar or anything. But this got me wondering, what type of protectant do you guys recommend I use on the interior? I used a good non-water based glossy protectant on the old car, but I don't think the taco interior is meant to be glossy. Any suggestions?
  • bjw1bjw1 Member Posts: 152
    thats pretty good, i filled up today and got 18.88 on 95-98% city only did about 10 or so miles on highway, but gas is getting rediculous, it was $35.00 for 13.5gals getting 91 which was 2.57/gal, no ticking noise from me, sometimes hard to tell my subs are going, lol.
  • volleyvolley Member Posts: 298
    That sucks big time. I have a few chips on mine too. What a shame. I had no idea Yota paint was so cheap. I'm surprised to say the least.
    Al the automakers try to tell you that. Doesn't matter what brand aftermarket accessories you put on, they have to prove that mod is what caused the problem.
    I have a hood protector and someone else posted the steps, look back a few pages or do a search. You should find what you are looking for.
    For my interior I use Meguires Leather Gold (I think that is the name of it). I actually bought it to use in our VW but it works very well in the Taco too even though it's not leather. It cleans but leaves no gloss at all which I like. Makes it look new without all the shiney.
    I got u volley. The TRD parts are more expensive and they don't have a great variety.But is it really worth the chance? With my luck, they'll find a way to make me pay!!
  • caltacocaltaco Member Posts: 8
    I've got the hood protector on my Silver 05 Sport. Looks great the black against the silver paint. Watch the tube steps unless you don't mind cleaning them off with your pants evey time you get in or out.
  • megamolemegamole Member Posts: 22
    Has anyone (not including those who have the factory installed alarm system) tried the mod on custom tacomas. com to make the existing alarm on all vehicles work? I can't seem to find the single blade connector they are referring to. It might only work on older models, but I thought someone on here had done it on an 05. If it saves me $350 for and alarm I am down.
  • toytrucktoytruck Member Posts: 67
    >toytruck:

Toyota's response so far has been to shirk responsibility for the bad paint, but some dealers and repainting as a courtesy. Make sure you call Toyota and open up a case to let them know about the paint problem. We're hoping to flood Toyota with complaints and maybe, just maybe, then Toyota will acknowledge there's a problem with the paint.<>

I've done that and the once the regional man says no I'll head to arbritation.
  • banjomanbanjoman Member Posts: 15
    hi tacoma dave,
    Try to answer your question. Bought the Snugtop as a factory option (Super Sport model is what toyota offers) when I ordered my taco in Jan 05. I have a d-cab longbed V-6 TRD Sport and the campertop is 6' long. Cost for the 6 footer was $1799 but if you have a 5' bed I think the price is 100 bucks less. Really!

As far as the top itself, Here are my plusses and minuses:

Plusses:
    -Finish quality is excellent, fiberglass is matched to match your truck color and is blemish free.
    -the underside of the top has 1" insulation glued to it and the entire interior is covered with a charcoal gray carpet, top, sides and lower ledge which sits on the bed.
    tinted windows with operable sidevents and front slider window. If you have a slider in your truckcab and open both windows you can throw your coffee cups right into the bed w/o littering!! (GRIN)
    -campertop came wired with the third brakelight over the rear liftgate and there is an interior light on the inside operated by a slide switch.
    -No leaks! Gaskets are tight at the top and bed juncture, and the window gaskets are supertight also.
    -Top is superstrong. I installed a Yakima rail system on the top to mount my Safari rack and the roof supported my weight during the install. Standing on the top was an experiment to my relief didn't end in disaster.

now the minuses:
    -The rear liftgate in my opinion, is flimsy. Window glass is appears to be a lexan type product and is unframed so it flexes when you open or close it. When you close it, there are two latches one on either side and you have to push on both left and right sides of the glass to latch it tight and I am wary of cracking the window if I push or slam it too hard.
    -You have to use a key to open the liftgate everytime. There is no T-handle that can be left unlocked. That is a real pain in the [non-permissible content removed].
    -The top sits on the top of the bed and is held in place with special clamps which are inserted into the side bedrails. That is a problem because I can't slide my rail mounted D-rings or my bed divider the length of the bed. Matter of fact, the bed divider is useless with the top on. It's sitting in my garage in the original factory box if anyone wants to buy it.
    -Last problem is the height. I realize that the taco is a midsize truck and doesn't have the height of a fullsize so the top of the shell where the hinge is for the liftgate when open is a headknocker. I'm 6 ft tall and have to bend over a bit to clear the opening.

I never looked at other tops from Leer, etc...do't even know if they make tops for the 05 yet. so I got what I paid for. As long as I don't bust it up, I'll keep it on my taco. But there's my 2 cents for ya! Hope it's helpful.

Banjoman
  • aa00aa00 Member Posts: 30
    Anyone put the sport pedals on the truck yet? How do they look? How about the shift knob? Thinking about changing out these....Thanks...
    Someone posted a link to a site to go to and report problems we may be having with our trucks. I wasn't a Toyota site. I can't seem to find it anymore. Does any have the link still?

Thank you much!
    volley
  • nbtacomanbtacoma Member Posts: 15
    Hey,

Just picked up my new 05 Silver Taco SR5...first impressions are great. I've read about leaks and drove in pretty heavy rain today and didn't notice anything. I read in the owner's manual about the break in period and everything seems to make sense, except where it says "do not drive at one speed for a long time" or something like that. Anyone know what they consider a long period of time? Are we talking one hour or six hours of driving? I hope this doesn't mean I can't take my truck on vacation until it has 1600 km on it. Any advice on the break in period would be appreciated.
  • buffalonickelbuffalonickel Member Posts: 113
    In your estimation would you presume that those DeeZees would prevent damage from someone else opening their doors and hitting your truck? Would the tube steps take the impact that your door would have had the steps not been installed?

B
  • arcpassarcpass Member Posts: 53
    Try to answer your question. Bought the Snugtop as a factory option (Super Sport model is what toyota offers) when I ordered my taco in Jan 05. I have a d-cab longbed V-6 TRD Sport and the campertop is 6' long. Cost for the 6 footer was $1799 but if you have a 5' bed I think the price is 100 bucks less. Really!

Banjoman-Could you please post some pictures of your truck with the snugtop shell on it. I've seen pictures of the short bed, but not the long bed like I have.
  • maxvenummaxvenum Member Posts: 39
    Woo hoo! Put in my order today for a Black Sand Pearl 4x4 V6 6-speed with TRD Off-road and tow packages. It is scheduled to be built on April 11 and should arrive around May 1! WOO HOO! My only worry is about the paint chipping I've heard about. I'm hoping that it isn't too rampant... The rest of the problems are pretty minor IMO.
  • tacomadavetacomadave Member Posts: 24
    Thanks for the reply, it was very helpful.
    I need a top to carry my dogs around (sides of the bed are a little to short for my comfort). I have a short bed truck and i read that invoice is around $1300 for the camper top. I don't know if the dealer is going to be willing to deal on this purchase since i have already bought the truck. I called a truck accessories store in the DFW area and they wanted $1999 for the short bed top. I told them to stick it, toyota's full msrp is $1599. anyway thanks for all the info.
    Dave
  • griffith_dgriffith_d Member Posts: 23
    The tow hitch does come with the package. He is feeding you a line of sh$%
  • griffith_dgriffith_d Member Posts: 23
    My engine has the same tick. Ticks are heard more with aluminum block engines, which this seems to be. Also, 4 valves per cyl are noisier anyway. I would not worry about it. Mine seems to be on the driver's side, but I really hear some all the way around the engine bay.

Griff
  • lomareslomares Member Posts: 16
    I got the Toyota DeeZee tubes for about $380, I got a few other items so I can remember the exact price. But, Longo Toyota gave me a 15% discount which beat the prices I was looking at online. I was able to pick them up the next day from the dealer. So for me, I was able to save on shipping and handling and time waiting for them.
    B,

Glad I could help! Just to let you know... I didn't have any problems mounting them. Everything lined up perfectly and bolted on without an trouble. (Earlier posts mentioned problems with the bolts not lining up - not the case for me.)

I just replied to your earlier post... I got 15% off from Longo Toyota here in So Cal.

-L
    Maybe, but I'm with you! I had the same idea when I saw the X-Runner at the LA Auto show. I tried to convience myself that I could live with the access cab, but I couldn't do it. I needed the space - bought the DC Long Bed. But I still want the look of the X-Runner.

Let us know if you see/hear of anything. (I bought the Radiant Red DC, just in case I get the urge to by the X-Runner parts from Toyota and making the modifications my self!)
  • hobohobo Member Posts: 27
    Banjoman,

Great write-up -- great analysis! I've been thinking of putting on the shell for my LB also. Just wondering -- how is the rear view when it's on -- can you see anything when you back up? I already have a tough time without a camper shell backing up!
    The tow hitch and the ball mount are two different things. Yes the hitch receiver is included but typically the ball mount is not.
  • coldfootcoldfoot Member Posts: 49
    Joni3 Did you get your heater fixed. Finally got mine fixed. Now dont have back-up lights. Taking it back. They probably left something unhooked.
  • rachunterrachunter Member Posts: 21
    Does anyone know for sure if the 7 pin to 4 pin adapter comes with the tow package. I did not get one with mine and I cannot find anything on the toyota website.
    I'm just trying to figure out if I need to call the dealer back and try to get my adapter,
    Thanks
    I had one in my glove compartment.
    I didn't get one either. I don't believe they are part of the package. I think the dealer may have threw it in for you.
    I just got off the phone with toyota and they do have front tie down hooks that mount in the front of the bed, the msrp is $25.00. They would not give me the part number but they were contacting my dealer and she said I could pick them up there. I called to ask them why in the Tacoma pamplet that I have, it has a dirt bike in the back of the truck with tie down straps running to the front floor of the bed. The tacomas do not come with tie down hooks there. I was on hold for about 15 mins and she came back and said I had caused quiet a stir in the office and everyone was trying to figure out why it shows them in the pamplet and they are not on the truck. So the ties downs will be available but i have no idea what they will look like or how they will mount.
    For those of you with the Tow Package, the 7 pin to 4 pin converter IS included with the tow package. IF you did not get one I would contact your dealer. I did not get one and my dealer is going to find one for me.
    I had one in my glove compartment also. The tow package description says it should come with a 7 pin connector w/ converter however they also list a 7 to 4 adapter as an accessory also. I am thinking that the accessory one is one that you plug into your 7-pin to automatically convert it to a 4 -pin (the one that came with mine is one that needs to be wired which I will probably never do). You can get a 7 to 4 adapter that just plugs right in from Walmart for $4 bucks. Worth the trip to Wally World IMO.
    rachunter - If you don't use the rear tie downs you can move them to the front of the bed. Some have done this over on T Solutions. Of course if you want front and back then you'd have to buy another set. I wonder if you have to get the Toyota ones....?? If not, I would check CheapBay
  • northof50northof50 Member Posts: 2
    You're kidding!! I have same annoying rattle just as you described; can't wait to try your remedy. (4x2 Access Cab 4banger SR5). No wind leaks on mine; early production 10/04. Radio has no mid-range; truck needs more sound deadening, esp. under the hood. Easy to service. The 15" tires look dumb; am going to put on 245/70-16's, otherwise got my money's worth. avg. 24 mpg
  • northof50northof50 Member Posts: 2
    4x2 Access cab 4 banger SR5. 10/04 build. I have the same rattle seems to be coming from passenger side under the seat. Saw where the jack storage door might be culprit. Will try some foam tape. We have 2 toyota's with auto, both "downshift" if you're going down a hill and touch the brakes. No vibrations. the 15" tires and wheels on mine stink.. am going to put on 245/70-16's. Cranks OK; but revs high at start like old cars used to do b4, when emission controls were primitive.
  • indigo_inkindigo_ink Member Posts: 23
    I just ordered my Canadian 2005 Tacoma 4x4 Access cab SR5

Canadian Tacomas are assembled in Texas. I&#146;m hoping that it will not have any problems that the California assembled ones have.

The Toyota dealerships on the West Coast here are real scumbags. I visited 6 and they are all the same. They won&#146;t budge on the MSRP price. They tried to sell me an immobilizer (the truck comes standard with one). They wouldn&#146;t believe me that their vehicles don&#146;t come with some sort of lock on the gas cap or flap until I went and showed them, they then still wouldn&#146;t get a locking cap for me. They won&#146;t upgrade the tires to the snow rated ATs if I paid the difference, they say I have to buy them separate. They are trying to sell me a vehicle &#145;protection&#146; package that includes paint protection, fabric protection, rust protection, and undercoat. Doesn&#146;t the truck come with these things?

They also will not take my 85 Jetta as a trade in.

I haven&#146;t had a chance to test drive a 2005 Tacoma. The dealerships are not bringing any demo vehicles onto the lot. It has been a challenge to even sit in one.

Great site BTW. It has supplied me with lots of useful information.
  • 4runnerrip4runnerrip Member Posts: 24
    Car sales weasles are scumbags any way you disect them. In fact, this past Saturday I was looking at a Honda Ridgeline (I was only looking so NO HATE MAIL) and within the first 5 minutes the sales weasle uttered the words S**T and F**K in front of my 7-year-old boy.
    Had the pedals in my '04 Taco.. If ur usin' them hard(Work truck) they're tough to keep clean. Material is porous and dirt, etc. sinks in. Better off w/ a stainless or alum. pedal
  • arcpassarcpass Member Posts: 53
    Canadian Tacomas are assembled in Texas. I&#146;m hoping that it will not have any problems that the California assembled ones have.

Where did you hear that Tacomas going to Canada are made in Texas? I have read that Tacomas are only nade in Fremont, Ca. & Tijuana, Mexico.
  • hammaahammaa Member Posts: 79
    FYI...I got the tow package...no tow hitch/ball, either.
  • hammaahammaa Member Posts: 79
    Good point, volley. I got the hitch (obviously), but no ball.
  • 1morecanuck1morecanuck Member Posts: 13
    Hey Indi,

We have the same Toyota Access Pricing Model in Nova Scotia, multiple dealerships all locked into the same price as the Can Toyota.ca Website.

On a positive note, you have done your research well and have chosen a heck of a truck, like the rest of us.

Best Wishes,
  • 1morecanuck1morecanuck Member Posts: 13
    Well rachunnter, I looked into this a couple of months ago, the dealership could order in 2 more D-rings exactly like in the rear {eh, like $36 bucks each canadian...not cheap} but when I looked under the composite bed, the back ones also tie into metal for a solid tie-down point, and when you look in front there was no metal nearby to tie into, hence...none, is my guess.

Thought of putting a small alum plate under the bed to bolt the front tie down thru to disperse the pressure point. But figured I would wait to hear if someone had better,cheaper and safer idea. But did buy 2 extra plastic tie downs for the front rails in the meantime.

Regards,
    1morecanuck,
    I thought the same about the composite bed, I dont think a hook going through the bed would hold much weight. That is why I called toyota. When I go to the dealer and see what toyota is sending I will reply and let you know.

4 pin connector...

Volley,
    The part that you describe that you found in your glove box is not the 4 to 7 connector... it is the wiring for a electric brake if you choose to install one.
    The 4 to 7 pin connector should be just like the one listed in the toyota website as a acessory, its only $13 bucks but I figure if it comes with the tow package and I paid for it, I want it.