Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• Options
    jackhammerjackhammer Member Posts: 92
    The dealer was basing his info on past Toyota trucks. This fellow has worked at the dealership for over 15yrs and likely remembers past models with 4 leafsprings and good results. Try and get your dealer to approve 4 under warranty.
  • Options
    bassman17scbassman17sc Member Posts: 3
    I have ordered an Extang "Tuff III" soft cover for my 2005 Crew cab (short bed) Taco. It appears that I will have to remove the plastic rail caps for the tonneau cover to properly fit the bed.

My questions are these: Can I safely remove the rail caps without voiding the warranty? Does anyone have any other suggestions for a soft type (either snap or seal and peel) tonneau cover for my Taco? The local dealer has not been much help.
  • Options
    miniviperminiviper Member Posts: 13
    I've noticed this problem in my double cab. Sounds like something ticking in the rear door. Was the fix only for the access cab? Maybe the double cab has the same problem. If it keeps going like this I'm gonna bring it in for the dealer to look at it.
  • Options
    jamesbjamesb Member Posts: 6
    I think rmoving the rail caps is a bad move. I noticed Truxedo does not remove caps however it does appear that you lose the rail system, at least partially.
  • Options
    bassman17scbassman17sc Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Crew cab 4WD SB with the OG package. I tow my Javelin 17' bassboat (w/ 115hp motor) with it and do not notice that the boat is back there, even traveling up and down the Tennessee hills. The boat usually has a full tank of gas and all of my tackle that I will be using for that particular trip. I wouldn't give up my Tacoma for any other tow vehicle.
  • Options
    Anyone using a roll up Tonneau Cover like the truxedo? I have one on my 2002 and it serves my needs. I'm waiting for 2005 DC with TRD sport and long bed.
  • Options
    2006...when did they start that production? Will it be for all ordered tacomas?
  • Options
    Thanks for the article. I have the 2002 DC and it down shifts on hills to an annoying amount when towing my 16.5 correct craft and camping gear. I have not been please with the 02 towing but the 05 DC shows more promise.
  • Options
    I have one on my 2002, wouldn't operate the truck without one, it helps a lot with bugs and rocks.
  • Options
    juandehavasujuandehavasu Member Posts: 16
    I too have ordered an Extang cover for my '05 DC, the Tilt Top from autoanything.com @ $328.00... best prices anywhere. I would suggest that you you call Extang direct on their 800 #, I doubt that you need to remove the rail caps for your install. They are smarter than that as it would leave 6-8 holes in your bed rail where the expansion connectors fit. Unfortunately Extang dealers seem to know very little about installs on the '05 Taco...and yes you will loose some of the slide in your side rail tie-downs. The side rails will be where your tonno frame attaches. Also buyer beware of ebay specials on Extang, much of it is of export quality intended for foreign markets and discount retailers.
  • Options
    streaksstreaks Member Posts: 64
    Just had the LSII installed on my '05..no rail cap removal..small sacrifice w/ the tie down. Once the cover is installed, the tie downs cannot be removed, but still functional .Watch the install and adjust (cover clamps don't allow complete travel along track) I bought the mini tie down for the back end..Works Great!!
    I love these covers..had one on my '04 too!!! Truck looks great!! Pics to come!

Hope this helps y'all
  • Options
    dysandysan Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how long an 2005 Tacoma is with the tailgate down on a 6' bed?
  • Options
    dysandysan Member Posts: 2
    Do the 2005 Tacoma's with the v6 require premium fuel? What are the differences and which is better of the limited slip diff. or the locking diff?
  • Options
    la_tacola_taco Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone figured out how to get the door locks to lock when the truck is put into "drive"?

I been in other Toyota cars that have this feature and would like to have it.

This is a great forum. I have learned so much from reading everyone's forums.
    Also, I drive about 95% freeways and get about 21.5 mpg. I average between 68 to 75 mph.
  • Options
    wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    "Does anyone know how long an 2005 Tacoma is with the tailgate down on a 6' bed?"

AFAIR, around 92"

The last time I carried 8' goods, the ends stuck out 4-6". I usually carry 10-12' stuff. I only need my hitch mounted load support with 12+ material. With the gate down, the bed is plenty long enough to carry 10' wood and my 11' kayak without added support.
  • Options
    kashmir1kashmir1 Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased an access cab with the sport package and would like to put bigger wheels/tires on it strictly for looks. Anyone with info or pictures with that? Is it even possible to go bigger? It is not 4wd and will not be used off road. Thanks for any help. Kashmir1
  • Options
    asac1asac1 Member Posts: 30
    Streaks,

Thanks for the info. One other question ... is it true that there is a raised area towards the middle of the top. My bass guitar cabinet's smallest dimension is 19-3/4" and I hope to be able to fit it in with the top locked down. Overall the cabinet dimensions are 36-3/4 x 24-1/2 x 19-3/4".

Looking forward to the photos. Let me know when you have them.

Allen
  • Options
    tnt67tnt67 Member Posts: 30
    I have an 05 A.C.with a 3"lift and was only able to go up 1" on the tires with 17 X 9"wheels.The factory tires were 265/65/17.I now have 265/70/17 BFG's on it so I am doubting you will be able to go any bigger on the tires.The front mud flaps stick into the fender well a bit.I actually found out the hard way, as now I have an "extra "set of 28570/17 BFG Mud Terrains in my garage.Hop this helps
    ">link title
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/y2k_ss/album?.dir=/6de8
  • Options
    kashmir1kashmir1 Member Posts: 2
    not the news I was looking for but thanks for saving me some money --your truck looks good. Hard to believe that with all that gap something bigger won't fit in.
  • Options
    white05tacowhite05taco Member Posts: 17
    Hi all - I need to wire in an FM modulator (for my XM radio) in the space behind the factory radio. I already know how to get the radio cover plate off, but once I'm in there I am not sure where I can most easily pull switched (with ignition key) +12v power from. Anybody out there have a wiring diagram to identify which is the main power supply for the radio? I'd like find out the wire colors for a switched positive, and also which colro wire is a good ground source.

Thanks!
  • Options
    iowatruckiowatruck Member Posts: 1
    I too had this problem with my 05 DC SR5, non TRD, ever since I had purchased the vehicle. The dealerships argument was I had replaced the factory tired on the vehicle with BFGoodrich All Terrain tires, which are a stiffer side wall. I understood their reasoning, but did not agree with this response as this is a truck and I had placed truck tires on the truck.

We called in the regional manager because I kept pushing this vehicle should not bottom out driving down the road. I had them swap my tire and rims for the factory tires and rims from a truck on the lot as they still pushed my BFGoodrich tires were causing this to happen. They agreed they would have an issue if the factory tires caused this to bottom out. Well...the factory tires did bottom out and to turn a long story short...they replaced all the non TRD shocks on the truck with the TRD Bilstein shocks. This change has eliminated my problem with normal driving, passengers in the truck and cargo in the bed. It did bottom out a couple of weeks ago when I was hauling a trailer, but would expect this loaded down.

The dealership did this at no charge to me...Keep pushing them until you are satisfied!!!
  • Options
    purestockpurestock Member Posts: 17
    http://www.donlen.com/buildstart_toyota.asp

This info is about a month old. If the dates are correct, it looks like anything ordered after 6/10 is going to be a 2006. It would be interesting ot hear from any dealers or plant employees regarding any new colors or options.
  • Options
    pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    If it is possible on the 05 Taco, I think that you have to take your truck to the dealer and they can do it by connecting their computer up to your truck and changing some stuff. This is how they did it on my Chrysler. On my 05 Taco I currently have an after-market Compustar security system/remote starter which does the same thing for me.
  • Options
    wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    Since you're in there, skip the FM modulator.

An aux input will provide far better sound, and needs no additional power.

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/pietoy03aux.html

I used one of the above units with the factory '05 radio. A side benefit is the ability to use an MP3 player, scanner, ham radio, etc... though the same input.

I don't sell these things, but I'm a satisfied customer
  • Options
    rideamtnrideamtn Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the feedback Iowa. This is extremely helpful! I'll post my results...
  • Options
    jackhammer1jackhammer1 Member Posts: 13
    I'm tring to decide between the Sport (PT) and Off-Road (OG) packages for my upcoming purchase on a 2005 Prerunner (7188).

I like the lumbar support and color keyed grill/door handles/mirror/bumper of the Sport package (but I'm not to crazy about the hood scoop).

I like the locking rear differential, skip plate/gas tank protector of the Off-Road Package. The wheels look more rugged on the off-road, but I'm OK with the 17 inch wheels on the Sport as well.

Any other considerations I should note? Which do YOU prefer and why?!?!?

I need to make my mind up quickly... Thanks for any inputs! - Jack
  • Options
    But don't you need the 6-disc changer system to use the pietoy? I have the plain vanilla (i.e. standard equipment) AM-FM-CD that only holds a single CD.
  • Options
    bhc357bhc357 Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone looked into this? I know K&N has just come out with it and i am waiting for my local parts store to get it in.

Also has anyone tried the taco tunes mount kit?

I am on a waiting list for a Leer 100XQ canopy they should be out soon, any feedback on the Leer?
  • Options
    boone88rrboone88rr Member Posts: 194
    I don't think so. I've looked up so many of these things and not one has said you have to have the 6-disc changer. Most of them say it works in addition to the 6-disc changer. I've been looking at the ipod interfaces, more specifically the ones that also charge the ipod as well as play it through the factory radio. If I am not mistaken there was a link in this forum on how to install one of those things and the actual radio there is a "plain vanilla" stock head unit.

I am actually thinking about the BlitzSafe model for the ipod interface, also on logjam. It just came out. It's cheaper than the others because you can't control the ipod with the radio buttons. It still charges the ipod and connects directly without a worthless fm modulators. I guess I need to decide if controlling the ipod with the stereo buttons is worth 100 bucks. I'm pretty sure it's not.
  • Options
    Well, I don't want to belabor the point (but will anyway..). The website for the "pietoy" says:

"The TOY03-AUX works with most 2003-2005 Toyota vehicles that are equipped with a radio that has CD changer controls".

So, since mine doesn't have changer controls, I am assuming it is not compatible. However, as you said, maybe someone who has actually installed one can refute this.

Either way, I really want to go with the Delphi modulator because it also has a power jack for the XM unit, which is more convenient than having to buy & run a voltage converter off an accessory power plug.
  • Options
    This is the picture I was talking about. My radio is black but it has the same buttons. I read somewhere that if you press the "Disc" button and a changer or other aux input is attached it will scroll through the option to choose either the changer or just the single in-dash cd. Also, there is no "JBL" marking on the radio indicating a 6-disc changer. So I think it's safe to say we are both ready for some punch and PIE.

Link to install page: Install Aux Interface

Link to: Specific pic I am talking about
  • Options
    zaxuszaxus Member Posts: 9
    these two mods made a huge performance difference..esp. the air, sounds like a jet taking off when i gun it.
  • Options
    In case there is any confusion in the future on the compatability of auxilary inputs with different types of stock radios:

"Yes, it will work in the standard non-6 disc CD changer radio as well as it does with the 6-disc in-dash CD changer radio. It also comes complete with everything you need to install it electronically.

Thank you,

Technical Support
    Logjam Electronics
    techsupport@logjamelectronics.com
    www.logjamelectronics.com"

Case closed. Mine is on the way! :D
  • Options
    westeemwesteem Member Posts: 49
    Do you know if the K&N filter will void the Tacoma warranty?
  • Options
    deluxechevdeluxechev Member Posts: 17
    pic's didn't load. what'd you get?

I'm still holdingoff on the K&N Intake. I heard it's an easy install and it really sounds great at the high end. Still don't know if i'm willing to allow that much dirt into my system, might go with the amsoil air filter. My flowmaster's sounding awesome as it is.
  • Options
    not sure about that, but i do know it's not street legal in CA, another reason i'm holding off. i don't know if i'm willing to swap to stock everytime i need it smoged
  • Options
    tough call, both really nice trucks. if i had to chose, (and i did, thus the V6-6spd Access Cab TRD OffRoad) my vote is for offroad. the rims are smaller, but the tires look great on the rims. plus i always thought non-function hood scoops were kinda chessy.

but either way, you're getting a winner!
  • Options
    geogeckogeogecko Member Posts: 225
    I'd say get the off-road, if you plan on putting bigger tires on it. You don't know how hard it is to find 285 tires in 17", until you've tried.
  • Options
    aztechianaztechian Member Posts: 31
    dysan--

See my post in the Tacoma Vs. Frontier thread regarding the Tacoma using premium fuel:
    aztechian, "New 2005 Toyota Tacoma vs 2005 Nissan Frontier" #348, 17 Jun 2005 3:27 pm
  • Options
    jefe47jefe47 Member Posts: 3
    anyone know if 0% is coming for the ext cab 05 tacoma?
  • Options
    pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    I think the average joe should be able to install most of that stuff except for the alarm system and maybe the roof rack. Some of the nicer alarm systems can be extremely hard to install. I just got a pretty nice 2-way paging alarm/remote start system put on my 05 Taco and it took a professional installer about 6 hours to install. The 05 Taco has an engine immobilizer that requires some special wiring to get around.

I was able to install the tube steps, exhaust tip, bull bar, and off-road lights by myself. The exhaust tip is a little frustrating. I had to spray some WD40 on the tail pipe to get everything to go on. There is an aluminum block spacer that fits in there pretty tight. I had to use a rubber hammer to get it to go. But it looks nice once it's on. It's not really overkill like some of the aftermarket tips out there.
  • Options
    aztechianaztechian Member Posts: 31
    Not that I really know anything, but I wouldn't expect it since Toyota's supply seems to be well below demand. Maybe around late fall if there are still '05s hanging around that aren't getting sold. I haven't even seen them advertising the Tacoma's much lately - seems like they are trying to convince people to buy Tundra's instead.
  • Options
    It took me months to have the opportunity to test drive a DC with TRD sport and I like it better then the off road. The majority of off road I do is rough trails and dirt roads. Many people prefer the LSD to locking and prefer the 17 inch tires. I'm not sure the difference if any in the actual suspension but the sport feels smoother on roads which is the majority of my driving. The skid plates/protectors can be added. I also like the color keyed items. Toyota offers many wheel packages. Decide where you do most of your driving. If you do serious off roading thats different. There isn't that much of it in Georgia. If I do serious off roading I use an original small square Bronco.
  • Options
    geogeckogeogecko Member Posts: 225
    That was the main reason I went with the Sport, LSD. I didn't want the locking diff. I'm considering a 3" lift in a year or two, and would like to put some 285 BFG A/T's on the truck. From what I've heard, it requires no modifications, except to the mud flaps, to keep from rubbing.

Got my first ding last weekend, I was putting a suitcase in the bed, and lifted it with my hand, and didn't realize how heavy it was, and secondly, how long the suitcase was. Once my arm was fully extended, it was too late, I had already started moving it over into the bed, and got a nice ding right above the rear tire well. They just make cars with way too thin metal these days. Oh, well, I'm glad the worrying for that first ding is over.
  • Options
    Thanks for following up on that boone88rr. Looks like a nice clean solution, albeit a touch on the expensive side. Please report back after your install to let us know how it works. I'd also like to hear where you route the input cable. I haven't been behind the radio yet, but I'm hoping it will be possible to route the cable into the glovebox, and I can just pull it out to connect to the XM or mp3 player when I need it, and the rest of the time just leave it coiled up & out of the way.
  • Options
    Just to let you in on a little lesson that I learned, My 05 Tacoma Access Cab TRD Prerunner is lifted with the Rev-Tek 3 " lift and I too was told that 285's would go on easily. After taking off the front mud flaps , and the tires still hitting the inner fenders sitting still, turned to both sides, I decided that I wasn't going to rip a fender off of my new truck. I now have 265/70/17's on it on 9" wheels and they are pretty good except for an occasional rub on a hard turn moving.Beware of this , as my local Toyota dealer are lifting these and putting 285's on them regularly and removimg the front mud flaps.I now have an over $800 set of tires in my garage that I will have to sell used.Hope this saves someone some trouble.
    tnt67
  • Options
    toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    You may want to see if there are spacers to put between the wheels and the hubs. This may help prevent the rubbing if it is occuring on the inside of the fender wells. Just an idea.

Ken
  • Options
    05tacoma3305tacoma33 Member Posts: 6
    you are rubbing because you have 9" wheels revteck says to put 8" wheels with a 4 1/2 back spacing thats maybe why you are rubbing i have a 3" lift with 285/75/16s on a 8" wheels and no rubbing so try a 8" rim you can look at revteck.com or go to http://www.cardomain.com/ride/925476 thats my truck maybe that will help
  • Options
    The 9" rims are not going to make much of a difference on hitting the fenders. If anyone wants to put 285-17's on theirs, thats fine by me...just trying to save someone some trouble.