Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    Thanks for the sarcasm. On a serious note, you may want to get hearing checked. A lot of people have hearing loss and don't know about it.
  • hedge_emhedge_em Member Posts: 6
    Seems weird that the fuel door and cap are unsecured. My old 89 Mazda had a locking door and even an inside release lever.

Also the doors on the integrated bed storage bins don't lock and are completly removable. Anybody can see if you have anything stored in them and/or steal the doors with just a twist of the latch.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    Coinneach - As I understand it, you can get the sport package and VSC. You have to order the Sport and Tow package (Sport package 2, code PT), not just the sport package alone (package 1, code PY). To get VSC, you add add option code VD. You still have time to change your order. It would be a shame not to get VSC on a vehicle for which it is available.
  • coinneachcoinneach Member Posts: 34
    The dealership and Toyota conflict in their understanding of this option. I did select PT (Sport with Tow). The sales manager tells me that their computer system will not allow him to input the VSC option. Toyota's answer is shown below. They say VD is out, but VE is available with the Sport package. The sales manager will be calling again tomorrow to settle the exterior color conflict. I'll revisit the VSC issue and ask him to try the VE option.

TOYOTA RESPONSE
    "We apologize; the TRD sport package does conflict with option VD. The reason for the conflict is that the Limited Slip Differential is offered in both packages. Therefore if a customer were to purchase both packages they would pay for the limited slip differential twice. If you would like vehicle stability control + traction control with hill start ascent control and downhill assist control with your TRD sport package you will need to purchase option package VE rather than package VD."
  • amoreanoamoreano Member Posts: 3
    I'm committed to buying this '05 Tacoma, but I need a little advice as to which model. This forum has been great for pointing me in the right direction. Here are my needs:

90% street use/10% "off-road" - let me clarify. I am NOT a true off-roader, that is I do NOT drive over boulders, stumps, up and down hills etc. My wife and I are avid hikers and campers however, and we routinely drive long distances on some pretty nasty Forest Service roads to get "far from the madding crowds." We need good ground clearance and 4x4 capability, balanced against as comfortable a ride as possible given the distances we often travel to get to trail heads. We plan some day to pull a light trailer or 5th wheel (around 2,000 lbs.) for extended trips as semi-retirement looms ahead. In the meantime we'd like to sleep in the bed as the need arises. We're both short and could get away with lying down in the Short Bed if we get one of those Truck Tents. Another poster who shares similar pursuits mentioned that a Long Bed with top might be better for inclement weather situations. Don't know that I want to drive a vehicle that long (as we're pretty much committed to getting the Double Cab).

Do I REALLY need the Off Road package??? I gather from some of the comments that a Sport package with vehicle stability control + traction control with hill start ascent control and downhill assist control, limited slip differential, larger tires, and slightly stiffer suspension might do the trick. (We've been accustomed to doing our trips in a Pathfinder for years and haven't had any traction problems on the FS roads.) Plus it sounds like one will be able to turbo charge the Sport in the near future for extra power which may come in handy when we hit the towing years. I'm thinking that the stuff in the VE option would come in handy for the towing needs as well.

Thanks so much for any input!
  • vmimanvmiman Member Posts: 80
    I have had my new TACOMA Access Cab (PT option) sport TRD, with 6 speed manual for about a month. It is very comfortable, I don't notice any noise, great power.

I have a few questions:

Is it OK to put a STANT locking gas cap on the truck?

Has anyone found a hard tonneau cover that will fit and not interfere with the great rail system?

When I lock the truck with the FOB, the lights flash but the horn does not sound. It looks like the horn should sound reading the owners manual?

Under the radio the display has 2 "passenger" words written side by side in white. When the truck is running, the "passenger" on the right is lit up red when no one is in the passenger seat. Is this normal?

Would welcome any comments.
    I've put 2 tanks of regular gas (86 octane) in my new TACOMA. Got 20 mpg on both tanks. No problems with pinging or power. I have the V6 w/6 speed manual tranny.

Tom Clark
    (vmiman)
    I have a 4X4 V6 access cab with 6 speed tranny. I live in Colorado, put regular gas in it and get 20 mpg. The V6 engine is sweet and worth a couple miles per gallon, especially if you do any driving in the mountains.

Tom Clark
    (vmiman)
    I have the sport TRD package in my access cab V6 with 6 speed tranny. Great set up. Not jumpy. Rides very smoothly on city streets and the interstate. Originally I did not want to spend the extra money, but now I'm glad I did as it gives alot more flexibility. Works very well with the 4x4 also.

Tom Clark
    (vmiman)
  • demoncleanerdemoncleaner Member Posts: 82
    Well, I would try driving them both... I can give you my 2 cents. I drove both an Off road (6spd extcab) and a Sport (longbed Dcab). Not alot of difference in ride, maybe the Off road was a tad softer. Same ground clearance. You got a push button rear axle locker in OFR, but its open when not engaged. The sport has a Limited slip rear axle. I spend a fair amount of time on backwoods roads, however most time dont need 4wd, except a few steep logging roads I'll use 4L. For the real boulder hopping, mud holein', well thats what my buddies old jeep is for. I drive alot in the snow, and tow snowmobile trailer. So I every truck I've had limited slip, as its always on, helps especially when in 2wd... ie. taking off from my gravel road to get in 60 mph traffic, and when driving 100 miles in variable snow, you can't be locking and unlocking the rear axle all the time. With that said, the OFR locker is better when it comes to ultimate traction, but you've got to chose when to use it, as you can't run it all the time. I guess a matter of preference. I would be happy with either, but for me, I got the Sport 6spd short box. Good luck
    Great comment about the fuel door. I wonder if a STANT locking cap would be OK to put on? Think it would interfere with the pressure?

Tom Clark
    (vmiman)
  • purestockpurestock Member Posts: 17
    In an earlier post someone mentioned the same thing with key fob. They had contacted TOYOTA and was told the owners manual is incorrect. The horn does not sound UNLESS you have the optional theft deterrent alarm system.

As for the 2 "passenger" labels; does the truck have a switch to turn the passenger side air bag off and on? If so, you probably get the red passenger label if the air bag is turned off and white (or maybe green) if the bag is turned on? Check your manual as I am only speculating.
  • tacofan4lifetacofan4life Member Posts: 33
    Sounds to me like the red passenger light is for the seat belt. If you buckle the seat belt I bet it would go away.

If you don't buckle the driver side seat belt do you get a red light also?
    I had read that post too, but when I drove the Tacoma equipped with the VIP-RS 3200 plus security system (V5), the horn did not sound, just lights flashing. The salesman concurred that only the lights will flash.
  • westeemwesteem Member Posts: 49
    Got a small discount off the MSRP on the x-runner. Was around 23,200 and out the door at 24,500.
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    Sounds like you would want the sport package to me and it has the limited slip rear end also.no more one wheel wonder peel..
  • srandytsrandyt Member Posts: 35
    I talked to a dealer Saturday and he told me that the Tacomas were going to be manufactured in Mexico beginning in Jan. or Feb. Anyone have an opinion? He told me that is the reason you cannot find a Speedway Blue Access Cab ANYWHERE!!
    I am looking for TRD Offroad Package 2.
  • papasmurfpapasmurf Member Posts: 16
    True, manufacturing in Mexico begins early next year, but I believe it's a plant for non-PreRunner and 4x4s chassis types. Here in theDallas- Fort Worth area there are several Speedway Blue Tacos in AC/DC with MT/AT. Where are you looking?
  • deep_purpledeep_purple Member Posts: 16
    When I test drove one the sales guy told me the light is for the airbag and is connected to a sensor in the seat. So, if you have a kid below 50 lb. sitting in front the Airbag is still turned off.
  • bosox3bosox3 Member Posts: 5
    That is what I was told as well.
  • wilcoxwilcox Member Posts: 582
    You might have to budget a goodly bit of time for reading (and understanding) the owner's manual...
  • srandytsrandyt Member Posts: 35
    I am looking in the Southeast (Atlanta). I live in TN, but the web site doesn't help much. I am looking for a 4WD MT Offroad#2. My credit union has a good locator service, usually with much better prices than a dealer direct. I will go that route. The Atlanta locator shows three coming in the month of Jan. I should be OK. Any idea whether they will offer a moonroof later on?
    I went to the dealer today. To correct my message from yesterday, the word "airbag" is lit up in orange underneath the right "passenger" indicator in the center of the dash. when I turn the airbag off, it says "airbag" in orange and below that "off" in orange. if the airbag is on, it just says "airbag". I thought this was strange as all other vehicles I have ever owned do not have an idiot light up for the airbag unless there are packages in the seat and no person. do other owners have the orange "airbag" light on when the vehicle is running and no one in the passenger seat? I have the access cab version.
    Thanks much. Seems like $495 is a lot of money to pay for the optional security system so the horn will sound. My dealer tried to sneak this one in, and I challenged him on it. If Toyota already has a theft deterrent system which comes with the vehicle (chip in the key and engine immobilizer), why would anyone pay $495 for an add on system just so the horn will blow when you use the fob?
    The VIP-RS 3200 plus security system (V5) is a glass breakage sensor (or tapping on the window sensor), and the invoice cost is $299. It might run off a thief trying to remove the stereo.

I tested the Tacoma with the VIP system, and only the lights flashed when I locked the doors. That's only my experience. Has anyone else found the VIP system making the horn squawk when locking/unlocking the doors?
    The sales manager again tried to input the codes for the VSC option [for the PT Sport package] and Toyota's ordering system would not let him do it. He says it's probably a regional restriction [Pacific NW]. Toyota, he says, answered from a national frame of mind. I sent it to Toyota and their response is shown below:

TOYOTA RESPONSE
    Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. We apologize the dealership in your area is unable to purchase option package VE. Our system shows all available packages and does not have the ability to determine if a package is restricted in a certain area. Your dealership may be able to contact their Regional Office for further clarification. If you would like them to do so please contact the Customer Relations Manager.
  • davidz28davidz28 Member Posts: 10
    From the other forum:
    "I brought my truck home from the dealership last night. The replacement bed hasn't arrived yet and anyways they want me to remove the shell before they change the bed (of course).

So far I haven't got any new information; the service manager said that he couldn't understand the Japanese that the Toy techs were speaking but they took a lot of pictures and notes. They also left a questionnaire sheet as to how the shell works and how much of a load I had in it while 4x4'ing. I told them roughly 750-800 lbs. Maybe they weren't expecting this much weight?

Anyhow here are a few new pictures for those interested. So far they still haven't said anything about my mounting method - good or bad.

Also, and I forgot to mention this before since it takes a backseat to the huge crack next to it, but look closely at the picture of the crack. To the right you will see two white marks on the bed. I thought at first that they were just rub marks from something rubbing (as things always do offroad no matter how careful I am). But if you rub your hand over them, they are 1/8" indentations in the bed! Turns out my metal Coleman camp stove was rubbing there for who knows how many miles, and it started to rub clean through the bed!!! What does this mean for long term durability? I had so much stuff rubbing against my Line-X'd bed in my old truck and it barely made a mark on the Line-X.

I'm really starting to worry about the longetivity of this bed."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/123Gone/Crack_RubMarks.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/123Gone/ShellAttachment.jp- g
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/123Gone/AngleIron.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/123Gone/ShellOnTruck.jpg
  • carfuncarfun Member Posts: 6
    I just drove both the SR5 and SR5 Sport package (both double cab, short box, and 4x4) within a few minutes of each other. I was able to tell a ride difference between the two. With the sport I was able to fell the truck bounce a little more and you could feel more of the cracks in the road. I'm not saying the sport drove bad but I was able to tell a noticeable difference in ride between the two. Since I prefer a smoother ride I'll be going with the standard SR5 package.
  • papasmurfpapasmurf Member Posts: 16
    Thanks Carfun. As I thought. The SR5 ride beats all! I presume they were both PreRunners, right? Now If I can only find a way to get the SR5 package with the VSC-HAC * DAC option on a truck through the Gulf Coast States Toyota regional district Czar I'd be sold...any thoughts?
    There is a great deal of chatter regarding the bed crack at the other site. The majority of forum members are blaming Toyota, the composite material, and anything else that moves. If you read what the owner of the subject truck has to say, the picture gets a little clearer on what caused the SMC bed to crack.

The owner installed a cap/canopy/shell (whatever you may call it) that he originally claimed was about twice the weight of the Toyota optional Snugtop. Presently, he says that another forum member reports that the weight is equal to the Snugtop. Accounting for exaggeration and lack of actual numbers, I suspect that it is heavier. The shell came off his 2002 Tacoma, which is narrower than the 2005 Tacoma. This means that the shell was not sitting squarely on the bed sidewalls, but loaded the inside of the sidewalls. That will tend to push them outwardly. Let’s call his 4x4 excursion a test track. He then took the vehicle on this “test track” of very rough terrain, which pushed/pulled those sidewalls out and in. The resultant fatigue failure is the crack we see. If you take a piece of sheet metal and subject it to repeated cyclic stresses and strains, which are even considerably below the ultimate tensile strength, it can result in cracks or complete failure. The composite material did the same and it appears to have ruptured from the top to the bottom in the pictures provided. The owner, in effect, modified the vehicle design, and his test trials proved his design inadequate.
    Hi coinneach:

How do you like your Tacoma with the PT option? I got mine on Nov 11th and it's the greatest. I also have the V6 w/6 speed tranny. So far no defects or problems.

Tom Clark

(vmiman)
    Hello Tom,

I prematurely and expectantly show that I have the 2005 Tacoma in my profile. It is coming. It's scheduled to go through the assembly line the week of January 3rd. Delivery occurs around January 16-20. In it's place, right now, I have a 1986 Ford Bronco II, Eddie Bauer Edition. I presently have 4 offers on it because it is in such good shape.

I just got off the phone with the Toyota sales manager. It seems I ordered too much stuff on my Tacoma from the factory. They have a 15 option limit. We adjusted things as necessary.

By the way, "Coinneach" is the gaelic word for Kenneth. You can call me Ken.

Regards,

Ken Forbes

Puyallup, WA
  • chiefman1chiefman1 Member Posts: 22
    Engineerboo-I have wondered about the longevity of my brakes because when I put my truck (automatic) in drive or reverse it takes off, so to speak, without even putting my foot on the accelerator. So I end up riding the brakes alot, even going down steep hills I feel like I need to shift it down into 3rd to hold it back. Once it is warmed up it idles at 1000 rpm which I understand is normal. Is this what you are experiencing?
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    Good analysis above of the crack issue based on limited info. Nevertheless, it still bothers me greatly. I have owned 3 pickups in my life. Two of them I horribly abused. I gouged beds, dented beds, folded tailgates and neglected beds until they rusted out. But I never had a steel bed crack through and through from stress. When toyota went plastic, I am sure many thought "....but what about cracks from rough use?" No matter how it's spun, its ugly... But I guess time will tell. I for one have reserved final judgment, and if prices come down a few K, I may buy a Tacoma yet.
  • bigandybigandy Member Posts: 70
    Picked up a white 2005 4x4 Access Cab with the six speed and OG/tow package last night. Using Costco's buyer program and some hard bargaining, I managed to get it for $400 over invoice and feel happy to get it at this price. (I can't tell you how many times I had to tell sales people that the relation of their price to MSRP was absolutely irrelevant to me. Invoice, invoice, invoice.) I tried and failed to get the dealer to do something that would get me out of the stock BF Goodrich P265/70R16 Rugged Trail A/T's. More on that later.

My 1999 ExtraCab 4x4 went off to its new home today and the new one is a great, though not perfect truck. Watching me go through days of negotiation, my girlfriend/partner believes my mood change with the arrival of the 2005 means I should buy a brand new truck much more often. This could be good.

The interior is a big improvement over my previous truck. Front seats have lots of lateral support and I like the looks. My 95 pound Bernese Mountain Dog fits happily in the back on the folded down seats with room to stretch. The fact that it lies truly flat is a big plus. The critter has already been able to sleep fully extended behind the front seats. Instrument cluster seems fine and I can finally see the turn signal lights now that they've been moved to the bottom of the speedo hole. Used to be hidden behind the top of the steering wheel for me and I'd been known to drive for miles giving the car behind me the impression that I was about to make a left turn into the concrete lane divider on the freeway.

The radio is just the low-end stock CD AM/FM. I've been looking at aftermarket upgrades and I'm not sure how they are going to fit that little Pioneer or Sony into the huge area occupied by the one from Toyota. The surface it's mounted in is curved and silver. Best Buy showed me some adapters they have for some other cars, but what I saw would make the middle of the dash look like it had been modified by the mechanic for the Beverly Hillbillies. I'm going to sit back and wait while someone comes up with a decent solution. I would also say that I wish that Toyota had made this an easier process since audio components have become commodity items built to real standards.

I was surprised not to find an ashtray. I don't smoke, but I normally use this to hold meter change and a few little trinkets I like to have along for the ride. I see reference to one in the extra accessories list, but not sure what it is or where it goes. Oh well. Lots of other storage, including the sun-glasses pull-down in the ceiling, are plenty. I'm sure a lot of drivers are used to these touches, but they are new to me.

Exterior appearance: I like the truck going and coming a lot. Looks strong, like bull. However, I find the looks on the side to be something I'm going to have to get used to. The rear side window in particular looks small and misshapen to my eye. I happened to see a Double Cab today, and that truck looks great from a side view. Almost like the design decisions were made for the Double Cab first and then shoe-horned into the constraints of the Access Cab. I also wish the rear door windows popped out as on my '99 and that they were bigger.

My initial take on the manual tranny with the V6 was "why would you need 6 speeds?" Five gears seems plenty. I must say that it's nice to see the revs loping along near 2500 at 70mph on the freeway. Good choice, Toyota! Truck is very zippy, though I think I expected a little more pull given that the horsepower got a boost of 55, but the truck is heavier as well. Ride is sweet to my unschooled butt. Flattens bumps and feels quite solid.

Possibly my greatest complaint is the single choice of tires I was given. (I guess that's not actually a choice.) I do get off-road in places in the California desert where the penalty for a blow-out or puncture of a sidewall by a scrape with a rock can be very high. I need something tough that will get me in and get me out without problem. I'm careful out there, but a P rated tire like the Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A's just ain't going to git it. I've already got them for sale on craigslist and will get some Michelin LT's of some sort.
    Hi Bigandy:

Thanks for your post. I have the 2005 Access Cab with the TRD Sport Package, V6 and 6 speed tranny. I also got the Dunlop tires which I was very happy to have. I didn't like the Goodrich's either!!! First thing I did was to scotchgard all my seats. I love the truck (mine is the indigo blue). Only thing I don't like it the white skid plate on the front. Why couldn't they have painted it black??? It really sticks out. I will probably have it repainted. I also bought all the goodies: cargo divider, bed net, bike rack, cross bars and ski rack, and the mini hooks for the front rail. Set me back about $700, but hey, might as well take advantage of that great new rail system. I plan to put a hard or soft tonneau cover on the truck as soon as a company develops one that will work with the rail system (I don't want to have to modify it). I had a 2000 Dodge Dakota SLT that I traded for the Toyota (just saw it got recalled yesterday, boy did I time that right!!!).

Tom
  • brickerbricker Member Posts: 1
    I just teest drove a 2005 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab Short Bed with the TRD Off-Road Package and was impressed by the quality and the power of the V6.

The dealer gave me $2000.00 off the sticker price of $29736.00. Is this a good deal coming from a Toyota dealer? I've never dealt with Toyota before.

Thanks

Bob
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    That seems like a good deal and typical of what I'm hearing people getting. Carsdirect.com is at about 26,900 something for trd off road dble cab, v6, manual that lists for 28,100 something.

My target price is 26,500 for a truck that lists at 28,130. That gives them about 5% over invoice.

Also look at their document fees. 2,000 under MSRP isn't such a great deal if they hit you with a $700.00 doc fee in the finance office. The lowest doc fee I've seen is $200.00

Happy hunting and let us know what deal you get.
    I don't want to offend here, but 5% profit seems high to me. A friend of mine taught me a system which entails using the phone to talk to every dealer in the area you would consider using and offering a deal of X$ over invoice. Not X$ off of MSRP and not X% of invoice. Figure out a fair profit for them and make that the basis of the sale. Doesn't matter what the MSRP is. Edmunds and kbb.com both have invoice pricing and any dealer incentives going on.

In my case, my goal was $450 over invoice and I actually beat it when I inadvertantly engaged two dealers in a bidding war for my business. It takes some footwork/phonework. If you have some or most of them reject the sale, then you know you're on the right track. The more whining and complaints you hear from them, the better. (I once helped a friend buy an Accord using this method and while we were sitting in the sales office, the guy told us to tell friends about the dealership, but not to tell them the deal she got. That was satisfying!)

You have to remember what a sleazy business selling cars is and how these people are schooled in manipulating you out of your money. They will use whatever they have to in order to seal a deal, including deception and outright lying. Most of my contact with auto sales people leaves me with the feeling that I should promptly wash my hands. (I'm sure there are exceptions, but they are rare indeed.)

Your 5% over invoice amounts to more than $1250 and though any car salesman reading this will disagree, let them make that much profit from a sale to someone else.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    "Most of my contact with auto sales people leaves me with the feeling that I should promptly wash my hands."

That may have to do with your shopping method... most of the good sales folks who hang out here know better than to engage in bidding wars over the phonea & would politely tell you to take a hike.

I deal in person and I seem to have no trouble getting competitive deals and minimum hassle... not to say that I occasionally have had to beat a retreat at a store that had more of a "come on down, low down, low payment" approach.

'05 Tacos are pretty hot, so if I were selling them, I don't know I'd go for the 5% over routine either.

-Mathias
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    Anyone got a 2005 Tacoma with the VSC (Vehicle Skid Control) and TRAC (Traction Control) with the automatic LSD (Limited Slip Differential)? I have been looking for 6 weeks now, and haven't seen one at a dealer yet. The Tacoma brochure implies you can get this option (code VD) on a 2WD 2.7L 5-speed manual trans Access Cab - that's the one I want to buy. Any feedback, anyone? Even if you don't have this option, but you've just bought a 2WD Tacoma with the 4-cyl. manual trans powertrain, could someone tell us what the Owner's Manual says about it? Like, is it effective at all speeds? All gears? Forward and Reverse? Is there a switch to defeat the TRAC, or the VSC, or both? Thanks in advance.
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    I'm not sure how hot they are. I've seen the same ones sitting here locally for awhile, so there not flying off the lots, and dealers are discounting presently. It's very easy to get initial offers of 1,200 off MSRP here in the west. If I wanted a prius I would expect to pay full MSRP, but not on the new Tacomas. It's just a different market.

I got the 5% figure from several sources that say 3-5% profit over invoice is fair. I don't want to be robbed, but I don't want to rob anybody either. I just want a fair deal.
    There may be a conflict with the Limited Slip Differential. I can't get the VSC+TRAC+HAC+DAC options with the TRD Sport Package which has the Limited Slip Differential. I did drive a Tacoma with the TRD Off-Road Package which had the locking rear differential. There was a button on the dash to engage the VSC control.

I called the regional manager in Portland, OR to verify that it was/was not available in my region. He was busy, but the receptionist tried to get that information for me. She called the office expert and told me that the VSC is not available with the Limited Slip Differential.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    Yeah, I got a similar story form the So Cal dealer about the TRD and VSC. Not compatible. The button on the TRD controls the Locking Differential. That's the way to go for the heavy off-roader. And the VSC would go nuts when the tail slides out under off-roading conditions, so Toyota's stance makes sense. I still wonder about the 2WD VSC + TRAC. I've read in the Highlander forum that the TRAC system can get fooled, and shut down the throttle. I hope it does come with a defeat switch - the VW's with their ESP and EDL do, but the Highlander doesn't. I'm thinking that it's be better to have no electronics at all, vs. malfunctioning ones (even occasionally). Anyone have any thought on this?
    Here's the spiel at toyotaoffroad, but the information does not ring true. I suspect they are still sorting out the facts given the tight turn-around time for this design.

"Tacoma for 2005 offers some of the most sophisticated dynamic control technology in the Toyota inventory and in the compact pickup truck category. The optional VSC and TRAC (Traction Control) systems give Tacoma models traction on or off-road by helping to keep the vehicle going on its intended course. The system detects front-wheel slide and rear-wheel slide during cornering and attempts to control either condition with throttle intervention and/or by braking individual wheels."

"The VSC and A-TRAC systems include Automatic Limited-slip Differential (A-LSD), which uses brake intervention in place of a mechanical-type LSD unit to help reduce tire slippage at the rear wheels (the TRD Off-Road Package uses a locking rear differential, and the TRD Sport Package is equipped with a mechanical limited-slip rear differential)."

"On automatic transmission models, the VSC and TRAC option also includes Hill-start Assist Control (HAC). When the option is ordered along with the TRD Off-Road Package on 4x4 V6 automatic models, it also includes the Downhill Assist Control (DAC) system."

"By independently controlling the brakes at each of the wheels as needed, the HAC system helps to prevent the vehicle from rolling backward or slipping sideways during transition from a stopped position to climbing an upgrade."

"The DAC system uses engine braking to regulate downhill speed and independently control the brakes at each of the four wheels to improve directional stability. The feature also works in reverse and is automatically de-activated if the driver depresses the brake or accelerator pedals, presses the DAC button, or shifts into neutral."

http://www.toyotaoffroad.com/Articles/Toyota/2005_Tacoma/2005_Tac- - oma.htm
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    would it be against the forum rules to say that I find this person's comments offensive and bigotted?
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    What exactly did you find offensive? I think he was just giving his experience. I am assuming you must be a car salesman, but you must realize this this individual's opinion probably represents what a lot of people experience when they go to buy a car. You don't normally hear people talk about how great of a buying experience they have. Instead, you hear about how they got tricked, they had to fight for a reasonable price, etc. The best experience I have had buying a car was agreeing to invoice pricing over the internet and just using the car salesman to fill out the paper work. I encourage you to read previous post on this board and every other board regarding buying experiences.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    I dunno, I'm mostly with dreasdad here... except I don't offend easily. I mean, in an election year? Come on...

But a certain way of shopping encourages certain sales tactics, and vice versa. To assume that anyone who is critical of bigandy's approach is a car salesman is kind of silly.

-Mathias
    I for one would be glad to hear what you found biggoted and offensive. These are pretty strong words. The "washing my hands" comment was obviously hyperbole used to make a point about the cut-throat nature of the car business.

There are businesses that are not run as zero-sum games, but rather in a way that both buyer and seller and seller can work toward mutual benefit. The car business is unfortunately not one of them.

So maybe you could flesh out what's "biggoted and offensive" about what I wrote.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    You can find a topic about "dealer tricks" over on the Smart Shopper board. No need to get into that here.

====================

After a bit of a software snafu last week, we'll try to get a harder count on how many of you are coming to the Philadelphia Auto Show on Feb 5th and 6th (that's the first weekend of the show) so we can figure out how many goodies we might need! So stop in at one of the chats this week and let us know!

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The MAZDA chat is on TONIGHT. Stop in for a holiday visit! Check out the schedule