Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• 4wd_newbie4wd_newbie Member Posts: 5
    I'm excited about buying a '05 Tacoma, Double Cab, Short Bed, TRD Sport Package #2. However, I need a cover for the bed. When we(wife, and two(2) daughters voyage to the beach, we will need something to keep our "stuff" dry. Guess we could just use a plastic sheet, or a luggage bag..., but I like the look(esp. on the Exp. Sport Trac). Anyone seen anything for the '05 Tacoma?
  • coinneachcoinneach Member Posts: 34
    See Messages #573 and #575 for a suggestion.
  • toytrucktoytruck Member Posts: 67
    I have a 2005 4x4 one month old. Noticed that the glovebox has a discoloration on the top left. It's very easy to see from the drivers side. Took it back and had it replaced and when I went to my truck I didn't think they had done anything. New one is the same. So I checked another one on the lot and it's the same way. Anyone else notice it? Waiting for a response from customer service.
  • geogeckogeogecko Member Posts: 225
    Well, really, invoice pricing is inflated too. If you ever to go the dealership, and get a copy of the invoice, you can see the bogus fees that are charged. On a 4x4 DC TRD Sport #2, with a few options, MSRP is $29900. Looking at the invoice, there is over $700 in "hold-back", which they charge you as a fee, but when they sell the car, they get this back from the manufacturer (i.e., double collecting), and about a $300 advertising fee, which should be paid by Toyota, not the customer. So, basically, $1000 of the "dealer invoice" is bogus fees. I'm not saying you can get these dropped, especially on a truck that is this popular. My offer was $600 over invoice, or about $28000.

So, a fair offer of 5% profit to the dealer would be somewhere around $27000 or so.

It's funny, but if they won't take the advertising fee off, just tell them in order for them to plaster their dealership name all over your truck you've just bought, that you are going to charge them $600 in advertising. I always tell them to leave that crap off my cars.
  • sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    you are not being "doublecharged" for holdback. The manufacturer or bank where the car is floorplanned finances the holdback amount and refunds the money when the vehicle is cleared from the dealer's inventory.
  • 88toylc88toylc Member Posts: 53
    I also have discoloration on the glovebox on my 2005 Tacoma 4x4 (double cab), which I've had for two months. I have no way of knowing if the discoloration is in exactly the same spot as yours, but this is sounding kind of spooky.
  • fslaugtsfslaugts Member Posts: 36
    Today I test drove the 6 speed Access PreRunner. I did not like the feel of the 6 speed. I was very uncomfortable. It felt vague. I then drove the 4 cylinder 5 speed Access Cab. Maybe it was the smaller truck but I felt more comfortable and I like the feel of the 5 speed. But it was not a PreRunner. The Salesman said 4 cylinder PreRunner's are not available and are under powered. Has anyone Test Drove the 4 cylinder PreRunner? Thank You
    How about complaining about it and look at some other trucks on the lot. If they don't hear anything they can't fix the problem. I called the 800 number after they replaced mine. I'll post as I find out anything.

Terry
  • tacofan4lifetacofan4life Member Posts: 33
    I agree 100% with your post geogecko. If they want us to advertise for them by puting stickers and license plate frames on the vehicles we are buying then we shouldn't be paying an advertising fee. THEY SHOULD BE PAYING US!!

I am from Southern California and dealers there never put stickers on the vehicles. I had never seen that practice until I moved to North Carolina. I always take the license plate frame off. I plan to tell the dealer to take the sticker off unless they want to give me a discount for advertising for them. Then I will take the sticker off myself with a hairdryer when I get home!
  • bobs3bobs3 Member Posts: 2
    I've been looking to test drive the 6 speed 6 cyl Access PreRunner here in Mass. So far there don't appear to be any in state. In what state did you do your test drive ?

According to everything that I've read here on Edmunds and at Totota.com there is a 4 cyl 5 speed PreRunner available.

Hope we both find the truck we are looking for.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    Yes, I drove the 4cyl 5-speed PreRunnner. It's pretty nice ride, but that extra 4-plus inches of ride height is really felt in the tight turns. Personally, I don't see the need for for the raised suspension or the extra weight it adds. I too really like that powertrain - the manual trans, and that big 2.7 liter, torquey engine. To me, that's the best new thing about the Tacoma. The VVT-i really gives it great torque from 1500rpm on up to redline.
    Um, I didn't say I was being "double charged." It's exactly as you said it is. The dealer gets it refunded to THEM, yet they are charging the customer for it, and not refunding it to US. Therefore, the dealer is out the hold back amount when they have the car on the lot, but the instant someone buys it, they get that money refunded to them, then we, the consumer, get the same amount of hold back, ADDED to the cost of the vehicle. The dealer is making the hold back amount as profit, since they pay it once, and collect it twice.
    Yeah, my wife just got a new TSX last year, and I just told them we didn't want their dealership sticker added to the back of the car. I said the license plate things were fine, because if we didn't like them, they are easy enough to remove.

When I bought my used 93 Honda Prelude, they had just put one of those sticky, tacky emblems on the car. Luckily, it wasn't stuck on all the way, so just a slight amount of prying got it off.

I plan on telling the Toyota dealership the same thing. It's bad at some places, some use really sticky lettering that is hard to get off.

It's like I just paid $??K for this truck, and you're going to go stick a crappy $0.50 sticker on it that will have the chrome plating fading to black in a year, and make my new truck look cheap? I don't think so!
  • dmartin3dmartin3 Member Posts: 1
    I can speak highly of the regular cab 4X4. I have one with 5-manual (no auto offered). A solid, squeak-and-rattle-free work truck. Nimble, turns on a dime with the tight turning circle and shorter WB compared to x-cab Tacos and any Tundra. Not fast, but the big torquey four gives more than adequate power. Biggest pleasant surprise is it is geared tall enough to be a great highway cruiser as well as a tough around-town 4X4 work truck - barely 2500 rpm at 70+ mph. It ain't got the amenities of the Tundra LTD I had but it's a tough and nimble little bugger. I think of it as a Jeep with the fit, finish, and reliability of a Toyota, and with a p/u bed to boot.
    Anyone had experience playing MP3 CD's in any of the radios available with the Taco?
  • fslaugtsfslaugts Member Posts: 36
    I test drove in Florida, Tampa, bay area. I know now I want the 4 with manual transmission. Not sure what model. I like the big wheels of the Prerunner, but I think you give up handling and gas milage. Bobs, I bet you will be let down with the 6 speed but the 6 cyl really has some get up and go.
  • volleyvolley Member Posts: 298
    Does anyone have the aluminum skid plate on their truck? I had mine installed about a week ago and I THINK it is the source of some vibration issues I am having. I particularly notice it at highway speeds. When I'm driving and hit either a cross wind at a certain angle or go around a bend or something similiar, I hear and feel a vibration that feels like it is going through the whole truck. At first I thought I had a flat tire because that is what it sounds similiar too. So I thought maybe the tires are out of balance, but I would think if it were the tires then it would do it all the time or at least consistently when I reach certain speeds, but the only thing that seems consistent is that is happens in cross winds or around bends on the highway. It soundsl like air is getting between it and the truck and it's flapping/vibrating or sorts. Anyone else have this problem or any word or advise? I would like to be as armed with info as possible when I take it into the dealer. Thanks! By the way, other than this I LOVE this truck. My first Toyota!
  • stephen1stephen1 Member Posts: 27
    Does anyone have or has anyone seen a 4x4 Tacoma with an automatic and the TRD offroad option? My salesman said he heard that that combination would not be produced until January or so. I've seen 6-spd 4x4's with the TRD offroad and automatic 4x4's but not with the TRD. Can anyone shed some light?
  • purestockpurestock Member Posts: 17
    Yep, one of the Louisville, KY dealers has a silver TRD off-road with the automatic. Seen several other posts on here where people have purchased similarly equipped Tacomas. Sounds like he is just trying to sell you what he has available.
    I would agree, he just wants to make a sale. It is harder to find the 6-speed manual with the TRD Offroad package than the automatics. Most people want autos now days. I have seen plenty of the autos in the NC, SC area with TRD but the dealers I have talked to can't find the 6-speeds(which is what I want) in this area...I have also looked in California since I am from there and all my family is there. I am willing to fly to Cali to see my family, buy a truck and drive it back home but they don't have them out there either. I guess I will have to wait until end of Jan. or begining of Feb. to get my truck.

They all say that production of all configurations is going to pick up after the new year. Good luck with your search
  • eldenslackeldenslack Member Posts: 10
    I've been driving a DC 4x4 TRD Offroad Automatic for a month.
  • volleyvolley Member Posts: 298
    Same here. I have a silver 4x4 Tacoma Double Cab w/ TRD Off Road Package automatic. My dealer had to trade for it as all the ones they had on the lot were manuals
    It isn't your fault but you (as many are) are misinformed.

Example: dealer buys vehicle from manufacturer for $10000. The dealer finances $10300 instead of $10000. You pay invoice of $10300 and the dealer then pays off the vehcile for $10300 and the $300 is refunded back to them. The dealer made $300 holdback.
    sbell4, your post doesn't make sense. If the dealer pays 10,000 for the vehicle and then you pay 10,300 you are not paying invoice. You are paying 300 over invoice. They get your 300 plus the 300 holdback so they get double the money and a profit of 600. The real invoice price is the actual dealer cost not the cost plus the holdback. So actual cost is your so called invoice price of 10,300 minus the holdback of 300.

Hold back is just a way for dealers to add to their profit and nothing more. That is why dealers can claim to sell vehicles for invoice. They are selling it with the holdback included in the invoice. They make their profit when they get the holdback from the factory.

Go to www.carbuyingtips.com for more info on holdback and other fees and tricks dealers use to rip people off
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    That is a very good website. Thanks for the info.
  • kevinmtbkevinmtb Member Posts: 5
    I had the dealer research whether or not the stock radio with cd changer could play MP3's. Unfortunately the answer is that they do not.
  • tarboroheel1tarboroheel1 Member Posts: 12
    You need to take it back to the dealer. The skid plate is the source of the problem. They have stopped production on the skidplate and it may be recalled. Other people are having the same problem.
    I have a suspension noise going on on the front passenger side. Sometimes over even the smallest bumps, I hear a knocking type noise. At first I thought the door was not closed tightly, but that wasn't it. It's been to the dealer several times and they can't seem to nail it down. Has anyone else heard anything like this on their truck or has anyone had a problem like this fixed. It's driving me nuts and the service dept. hears it, but they can't fix it.
  • wilcoxwilcox Member Posts: 582
    Dealer can't find...? "Can't" is a four letter word.

They'll probably end up saying "As long as you don't hear it with the radio going then it's nothing to be too worried about." Aahahaha.

If it's a malfunction though, then you might find yourself off the road and in the hospital, and burdened with bring a lawsuit out...

Noise seems to be relative...

I am a city boy and many years ago I bought 5 wooded acres "out in the country". I thought it would be quiet...and...it turned out there was much less sources of noises...but...those noises, such as an airplane crusing overhead, or Billy Bobs 'ol chevy truck, or his dogs barking, or the hunters, or the noises of insects and distant sounds of cattle or coyotes would sound much louder than the low rumble of the city.

Same true with a quiet vehicle...just one rattle is all it takes! Pshaw, I know of folks who love all their rattles from their old Chevy and GMC trucks.
    tacofan4life. Ditto. It's really not that hard to figure out. If it hasn't been said once, twice, or three times...www.carbuyingtips.com. Read all 7 chapters.

Stinks that an '05 vehicle radio can't play MP3's yet. Most other vehicle radios can do this. (I just sat in a new Jeep that had a radio that could...)
    I knew better then to explain holdback but did it anyway. This is why posts on holdback go unanswered. You may wish to consider checking ones profile before you send them to an automotive carbuying website.
    Even if it's like you say, and it's only $300 PROFIT, it's still not true invoice pricing. It's still $300 over invoice if the dealer only gets $300 back, once they sell the car. Question, if it's not profit, why don't they give that refund back to the customer, huh?
  • tjctjc Member Posts: 3
    The noise is coming from the passenger side body mount bolt located directly behind the passenger compartment underneath the jack storage bin.

It took my dealer 16 hours to find and fix the noise.
  • 88toylc88toylc Member Posts: 53
    The discoloration on my glove box is similar to and perhaps exactly the same shape as yours. I did take a picture on which you can make out the area of discoloration (although I'm not as accomplished with photography as you are), but I'm not sure how to get it to you since I don't have a website of my own. I sent an email to the Toyota customer care site and of course they told me to talk to my dealer. I'm not eager to go through that hassle, but I suppose I'll see what they have to say. I may have waited too long to ask them to fix an interior blemish though since I've had my truck for almost two months.
  • gipper1gipper1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm not quite sure why everyone always quibbles about dealer profit. Some dealers are not actually trying to rip you off (If you can believe that). They are just trying to make a profit like everyone else in business. How much profit would you all expect to make on a $20k - $30k item. I understand the goal is to make the best deal, but sometimes it's ok for the dealer to make a little bit of profit. Sometimes you even get better service that way too.
  • florczakflorczak Member Posts: 3
    I have a nearly identical mark on the glovebox of my 05 access cab.
    Got a call from the customer service rep. at the dealership and after looking at other trucks on the lot she thinks it may be an air bubble in the mold when they are manufactured. The regional rep. will be here on Monday and she will call me back. I'll let you know what happens, but if more people call customer service the better. Having the dealer look at it is probably the best first step and doesn't and take long. You've only had it two months. It's a manufacturing defect, nothing you had any control over.

Terry
    See my other post. I'll update after I here something on Monday.

Terry
  • vmimanvmiman Member Posts: 80
    Purestock:

Check out John Elway Toyota in Denver. That's where I bought my 6 speed last month. Just got back from a trip to Albuquerque -- 20.5 mpg at 75 mph. Love the 6 speed -- great control.

Tom Clark

(vmiman)
    I have the same thing on mine.

Bought it Nov 11th.

Guess I'll complain to Toyota.

Tom Clark

(vmiman)
    I have about 1300 miles on mine now. No noise like you describe, but the white skidplate is hideous on a blue indigo truck. I wish it was the truck color or black. May take it to get it painted.

Tom Clark

(vmiman)
    Try a hairdryer. Takes off those stickers every time. Heat it up and pry it off slowly. Then use wd-40 to get the sticky gummy stuff off. Works like a champ.

Tom Clark

(vmiman)
    John Elway Toyota in Denver has been getting automatic TRD Offroad models. Talk to Ronny Carizzo (head of their internet sales dept).

Tom Clark

(vmiman)
    I think fair profit for a dealer is 5% of DEALER COST. That makes out to be $1350 or so. Whats not fair about that? But, it needs to be 5% of dealer cost, not said "invoice." If there is a markup on invoice of $1000 (hold back and advertising), that's almost a 100% increase in profit, which is on the order of 10%--which is way to much to make off of a vehicle.
    Was your truck a double cab? And what was the problem with the bolt? Was it loose, defective or what? Thanks, this gives me hope.
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    Anybody cross-shopped 2005 Tacoma double cab 4x4's with Tundra x-cabs or dub. cab 4x4s? I am wondering what the difference in real street prices between the two are. I see a lot of advertizing on Tundras in the paper that make them look almost cheaper than the higher end tacomas.
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    The problem with the x-cabs is the back seat is useless and uncomfortable. Much better fit-n-finish than the Tacoma. Not that much bigger. The DC Tundra's are very long and wide so the turning radius is terrible. The V8's are absolutely wonderful in the Tundra. Quiet and smooth. If you can put up with the size, and the gas mileage, the DC Tundra is a nice truck. But, by the time you add some of the features the Taco has, the price does go up fairly quickly. You do have much better bargining power because they want them off the lots (especially the 04's). There are a ton of 04 x-cabs on the lots around here with $3000 off (this is the biggest Toyota rebate I can remember).
  • abvelvabvelv Member Posts: 9
    I just picked up my DC 4X4 last week. At about 150 miles, I noticed a slight noise from passenger side each time I hit a bump. Sounds like something is loose. I'm anxious to hear the fix.