Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Tundra VS Ford F-150

devil1devil1 Member Posts: 74
edited March 2014 in Toyota
I'm either going to purchase the Ford F-150 or the
Toyota Tundra (Both X-cab, 4x4's and the upgraded
engine on the Ford to match).

As for looks, I give the edge to the Ford (slight
edge), but overall anyone have opinions as to which
is better.

I figure these are the best competitors as they
are both great trucks with the smaller x-cab's.

What's the overall best?

Comments

• Options
    y2ktrdy2ktrd Member Posts: 81
    I would have to say the tundra is the best simply
    because it's a toyota!
  • Options
    I just thought of a potential big problem..

I'm in a '98 House with the "normal" small garage. Can anyone tell me if a F-150 Extended Cab short bed would fit in the standard new garage?? If not that would be a big problem. My neighbor has a Chevy x-cab that doesn't fit in the garage, but it's a longbed.

I assume the Tundra would fit fine since it's like 10" shorter.

And by the way Rublu, the Ranger would compare to the Taco.. not the Tundra
  • Options
    I MSRP'd a F-150 Extra cab flareside with the upgraded engine at 32,000+ Without flareside at 31,000+. Gets kinda pricy as you move up the scale.. This was a lariat though.

What model would be comparable to the Limited Tundra???
  • Options
    bigsnagbigsnag Member Posts: 394
    I would not necessarily go by MSRP. Why? Because I know for a fact that many Ford dealers will sell their vehicles at invoice. I do not know if any Toyota dealers will do this, but I doubt it. Someone correct me, if they know different. Two trucks may MSRP out to be about the same, but it really comes down to what you can actually get one for, IMO.
  • Options
    bslo33bslo33 Member Posts: 11
    I'm a weekend warrior type and a Camrey owner. Tundra was my first choice. Slightly smaller was OK with me. Prices with both outfited with 6cyl engines were reasonably close. SR5 vs. XLT. I think 4 wheel ABS was not avail in Tundra in Sept when I ordered. However, there was a much bigger difference in actual selling prices. Toyota dealers asked full sticker.

My F150 fits (just) in my garage. The radio antenna clips the bottom of the garage door each time I pull in/out.

As a daily commuter the truck makes no sense. It's a handful compared to my Camrey. However, I'm really pleased at how well the truck handles big loads. I expected the V6 to rollover and play dead, but it handles almost the same as empty.
    Bob
  • Options
    RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    Ford offers far more options than Toyota. They have been making half-tons for decades and seem to do pretty well with them. Why take a chance on a first-year model from a company that hasn't ever entered the subject before?
    More after-market support, etc......

Don't see me as jingoistic man, rather I consider the Toy above one of the domestics......I'm just not at liberty to admit which one!
  • Options
    pchengpcheng Member Posts: 162
    I've owned my own business for a number of years. Why would a Ford dealer sell me a product that over $25K for his cost? We have a name for businesses like that 'bankrupt'. The dealer has to make some money. If it's in terms of a rebate, than that 'invoice' price isn't true invoice anymore.

BTW, I check my local Ford dealer's when I was looking, and they were willing to deal, but not down to invoice (check 3). I was looking at a decked out Lariat. Even when I cut the options to make it comparable to the Tundra, it was really close in cost. I ended up buying a Tundra.
  • Options
    tp4unctp4unc Member Posts: 437
    Did you fall off a roof or something?
  • Options
    smcpherrsmcpherr Member Posts: 114
    pcheng - lots of Ford Dealers do it. I got mine ('99 F-150 XLT 4wd ORP 5.4L + lots more) for a hundred over invoice and I think I coulda done better but the price was good for me. No trade in either. Remember, there is a holdback that the dealer gets to keep if you order it.

Devil1 - I love my F-150. The main difference between the two that can't be optioned out is the size difference. If you need the extra space (Cargo and personal) go with the F-150. I don't think that you can go wrong with either truck, they are both really good choices. Also, personal opinion here, but manuverability can easily be overcome by learning the vehicle. Granted, the Toyota may be easier at first, but I parallel parked my F-150 between two cars in 3 points with about a foot total extra space on a busy street a few nights ago and it was easy.

You do need to check the garage, though, measuring height and width. If it fits, it fits. But mine doesn't in my apartment complex garage, and it can be a pain to find street parking.
  • Options
    barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    I think the F150 has a smaller turning radius than the Tundra also,If you do check out both trucks check out underneath each truck the Tundra looks fragile compared to the F150 or any other fullsize for that matter.I think you would have a better resale value with a fullsize american truck there's more of a market for them.
  • Options
    bigsnagbigsnag Member Posts: 394
    I can give the phone number of a dealer who will sell any Ford product at invoice + $49 processing fee. I'll tell you the salesman I bought mine from. Read my posts. Holdbacks, better interest rates, etc., etc. The invoice price I am referring to is the price anyone can pull off of Edmunds or any other of a number of sites that list invoice pricing. Yes, some dealers have commercials where they say they'll sell a car below invoice, then in small print (or a soft voice) they say "invoice does not reflect actual dealer cost". They have an invoice, but it probably isn't the same as what you can find on the internet. The internet prices are legit. That's why all sites list the exact same figures. I can go on all day about scams dealers pull to get people to buy cars, but the bottom line is: Many Ford dealers will sell their vehicles for the invoice price you find on the internet. Other manufacturer's won't. I would say you need to not be some defensive. I can't help it if you paid full sticker. That's where a lot of people get confused on how much a car costs. MSRP's may be the same, but what will it take to buy it? Invoice? MSRP? Or even more than MSRP? Ever tried to buy a new VIPER? Good luck getting it for sticker!!
  • Options
    I must confess I saw a Dodge Ram 1500 next to a Tundra 4x2 and the Dodge dwarfed the Tundra. I always thought they were more similar in size until they were next to eachother. I like the fact that it's not huge though, makes it easier to get around. It was also next to a Tacoma and it looked more similar in size to the Taco than the Ram. Again this was a Tacoma 4x4 and a Tundra 4x2, but still the Tundra 4x2 and 4x4 are about the same height I think.

Then again, I saw a F-150 Lariat next to a Tundra 4x4 and they didn't look THAT much different, in fact the Tundra's x-cab looked bigger (at least the window is wider). And I always thought the F-150 was the biggest looking truck out there.

I still think the F-150's the best looking truck.
  • Options
    tp4unc,

yeah......and my head still hurts! ;)
  • Options
    Glad you survived....maybe you'll get your senses back soon. LOL

Seriously though, have you been able to do much work this winter? We lost at LEAST 4 weeks of building time due to the weather here in your old home state.
  • Options
    tp4unc,

We lost a few weeks due to snow but some jobs were able to be done despite the ground cover. It is an advantage of a roofing firm if you can schedule jobs right! On some sites, we were the only ones present all month.
  • Options
    kit1404kit1404 Member Posts: 124
    I really wanted to like the Tundra, but when I drove the F150 I knew it was much more truck for the money. To me, the Tundra felt like a very nice up-scaled compact pick-up - which is not bad depending on what you need. But, we needed a truck that can haul boats around over a hundred miles at high altitude. Plus, the bed of the Tundra reminded me too much of my Ranger - too small and too shallow. With the tailgate down, my extended cab F-150 hauls anything I need. Maybe I'm used to our old and clumsy F250 extended cab, but this new F150 is a true pleasure to drive in town. Just last weekend I got 17.8 mpg - granted it was a tailwind - over 200+ miles. This is a loaded 4X4, 5.4 engine and off-road package. So far - and I like to complain - I just have a hard time finding fault with the truck. It has about 12,000 miles on it. Really liked the Tundra - like the F150 better for the same money and at least the same gas mileage. These two are good comparisons for the serious shopper.
  • Options
    I installed my superchip today and could not believe the differance it makes,the truck is definately a lot quicker and the transmission shifts are a lot cleaner.I would highly recommend it.
  • Options
    I finally went out and test drove a Tundra. It was a black SR5 V8 4WD. After looking it over, I came to the conclusion that it is a mid-size truck. It's actually a perfect size. It drove really nice, and was pretty quick. Pretty sharp looking, too. I wish they had some more colors, though.
    I heard people were having problems with the fabric on the armrest (It's REALLY thin). So before the dealer came to bug me I took my nail and scratched it over and over and I noticed it did turn white. It is something they will probably have to recall, but really no biggie.

I really like the look of the F-150, but when I stepped inside I wasn't impressed. Reminded me of a typical work truck, very boring and plain. I really wanted to like it, too. I didn't get to test drive it because they didn't have what I was looking for, but I know without driving that I am going to like the Tundra better.

Tundra Pros: Engine, interior, maybe reliability.
    Cons: Gas Mileage, Price, size.

F-150 pros: Price, exterior looks
    Cons: Cheap and boring interior and it's still a Ford (No offense)

They match up pretty good, and also the F-150 backseat is a BIT bigger, and overall it's bigger, but inside it doesn't feel that much bigger than the Tundra. I say the Tundra wins for my purposes. I just will wait till 2001 and get one with the bugs fixed.
  • Options
    page62page62 Member Posts: 30
    But where the heck are you supposed to put your left arm in the Tundra? During (long) test drives (the dealer hates me now), I noticed the left armrest is slanted, and I had to force my arm to stay in place. And there isn't any room on the window sill whatsoever. Even less than a Jeep Cherokee! Let's face it, the interior space in a Tundra is maxed out. I hate to think how little room there is between me and the outer door skin. Check out NHTSA's side impact crash test results.

On the F150, the armrest is good, and there's plenty of room on the windowsill too. On a long trip, that's going to make a lot of difference; i.e., I can shift around as opposed to being frozen in one position. And there's a couple of critical extra inches of room in a side impact.

BTW...Cheap and boring interior in an an F150??? What were you looking at, an F150 work truck vs. a Tundra Limited? Go find an F150 with captain's chairs, or if you like leather, check out a Lariat. I'm sorry you can't find a Ford dealer with the F150 you like. Around here, it's the other way around.

Oh, and the backseat. C'mon, the Tundra backseat is for circus midgets. No extended cab truck is great, but in this case there's absolutely no comparison whatsoever.

I guess I'm the opposite. I wanted to love the Toyota. But the rude treatment from the dealer ("gosh, you should feel grateful we're even selling you this truck), and the $2000+ premium over a similarly equipped Ford made it a no brainer for me.
  • Options
    kit1404kit1404 Member Posts: 124
    But, I do really like my F-150 more than I think I would have liked the Tundra. Somehow, paying the same money for less room and the same gas mileage, plus the F-150 is a more powerful truck/engine just did not make sense to me. I have owned Japanese vehicles, somehow without the same "great" reliability that the rest of the world reports. But, I have also owned a lot of Ford trucks - so far - knock on wood - they have been better and run more dependable miles.
  • Options
    Sorry that you do not like the interior of the Ford. Its all relative, I guess. I like mine, I have the XLT F-150 OR 4wd Flareside you mention, dark toreador red, a great color on this truck. I really like the way everything is laid out. The clock is easy to read, and it doesn't disappear whenever you change the station or volume on the stereo. All the gauges on the instrument panel are easy to read, all the dials and knobs are easy to find while driving. Armrests are well placed, seats are comfortable, even during long trips. When I looked at the Tundra and Silverado, the models I saw seemed annoyingly cluttered and not as well laid out. There is something to be said for simplicity.
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    From 1997 JD Powers Top 3 vehicles in Initial Quality.

Category: Full Size Pickup Defects per 100 Vehicles

Ford F series 64
    Chevrolet C/K 88
    Toyota T100 90
    JD Powers Customer Satisfaction Index:
    Rankings

Toyota 11
    Ford 12
    GMC 13
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    As much as Toyota Tundra owners want to justify it being a full size truck its not. The numbers show it over and over again. I guess they feel because its a V8 its full size!
    F150 has more interior space, more engines to choose from, more drive trains, more cab configurations, more, more, more. Take a look at the Tundra's rear axle and drive line, then compare it to a Ford/Chevy or Dodge. Go take a look then come back and we'll talk.
  • Options
    But who cares? The Tundra is just what I need. The ONLY thing I really would change would be to add about 3 more inches of rear leg room and make the seats not so upright, other than that, nothing.

Tell me something: WHY do you need more front interior space than the Tundra? It will fit most anybody comfortably. Bigger isn't always better. I like that the Tundra is slightly smaller than the full size trucks. I don't like driving around some beast that is impossible to park. The Tundra is the perfect mid-size truck, who cares if it's not full-size.
  • Options
    Oil Pressure @ idle:

Tundra 5 psi, Chev 45 psi.
  • Options
    rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    High oil pressure at idle usually indicates a blockage somewhere in the oil supply system.
  • Options
    I see you still have your sense of humor!
  • Options
    Just got back from the Saudi sandbox. It was pure hell drooling over all those Toy landcruisers in the U.A.E.
  • Options
    It's biodegradable!
  • Options
    I guess the cats didn't cover you well enough........LOL
  • Options
    Are you trying to make a funny? If so...it's verrrry weak!
  • Options
    You have to lay an egg sometimes otherwise life gets dull. I agree--it was weak.
  • Options
    What's with all these Tundra topics. BTW, there seem to be more big3 owners in them than Tundra owners. Why is that? Any thoughts?
  • Options
    Simple... There are more of us Big3 owners around due to the Big3 vehicles being more popular than the Tundra. Since our trucks are so well built and haven't seen the inside of a repair shop save for the occasional oil change, we have a lot of time on our hands. Might as well bag on the young pup who hasn't earned his spurs yet. At the very least it keeps work interesting. ;)
  • Options
    I read your profile. Seems we have alot in common. You have a degree in mechanical engineering and I'm a airframe/powerplant engineer. Your girlfriend is going to med school and so is my wife. You don't hang glide, do you?
  • Options
    Ha! I wish! No, never been hang gliding. Not that I wouldn't, but I never had the time for that kinda stuff until recently. Now I am looking for a new "hobby" with my girlfriend in med school. Seems that there is a lot of free time on my hands lately... What year is your wife? My girlfriend started last fall.
  • Options
    She is actually enrolling in a Physician Assistant program at U. C. Davis. She's been working on her premed classes and now has the mandatory preceptor lined up. She's thinking about switching and being an MD since the governing body her in CA may raise the bar on the PA degree to a masters anyway.
  • Options
    BTW, look at ushga.org.......It'll list the hang gliding instructors/schools in your area. A hang glider on top of that Ford will look great!
  • Options
    bud_light_dudebud_light_dude Member Posts: 330
    No offense, but I highly scrutinize a 5.4l Ford having 400 lbs torque solely with bolt-on's. Even if all those bolt ons produced exactly what they claim, you will lose most of that through the drivetrain before it hits the pavement.

Bolt-ons help, but I wouldn't go around claiming the increases you state.
  • Options
    Hey, I know a few people at UC Davis! My girlfriend is from that area (up by Chico). Its been a while since I've been there. Always loved the weather down in LA, but the "smog-alert" days always gave throat infections (docs said I was allergic to the pollution... only in LA can someone be allergic to air) so I was glad to leave. Tell me, does your wife refer to watching "ER" as research study? Thanks for the hang gliding site, I'll check that out. Sure would beat sitting around all weekend long watching TV.

Need something about trucks... Oh, I am glad to see that the winter blend gasoline is leaving. Gas mileage is quickly picking up. I'm guessing about 16 for this tank. F-150, 5.4L auto, 4wd, 3.73, 17" 265's, mostly rush hour city driving (stop, stop, stop, and go).
  • Options
    You can tell I haven't been around lakes much, but when you back a truck down a boat ramp, or pull your boat up one, does the water level ever get up over the rear axle of the truck?
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Toyota does not offer a limited slip. And for those who really use their trucks as trucks, to haul, pull, tow ect... Limited slip is very important. The F150 is the best seller for a reason, options, options, options,
  • Options
    It has never happened to me but I'm sure it's happened to others. I saw a brand new Ford Mustang roll COMPLETELY in the water at High Rock lake a few(actually several) years back. One should always put the vehicle in park BEFORE exiting. It works alot better that way.
  • Options
    bobs5bobs5 Member Posts: 557
    Never saw it "over" the axle, but have seen the water level half way up.

Depends on the angle of the ramp and water level.

On the maiden voyage of my friend's boat at lake hopatcong in nj, we put the boat in the water, parked his truck and when we got back to the boat, it was semi-submerged in the lake.
    DON'T FORGET YOUR DRAIN PLUG!
  • Options
    modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    As an avid boater the answer is ...... it depends. The factors are usually how steep the ramp is and how deep the water is at the launch site. I've been on ramps were the back tires of the truck never had to touch water and I've been on ramps that were like a driveway to were I had to have all four wheels in the water up to the door sill. Make sure the diff vent hose is high enough and you're all right.
  • Options
    rooster9rooster9 Member Posts: 239
    Maybe the reason there's not many Tundra owners here is because they are out having fun with their trucks while the big 3 driver's truck is in the shop, so they have all this time on their hands. Just kidding. Could be true though!
  • Options
    I wonder how many vehicles, cars and trucks foreign and domestic are sold yearly just in the USA.I would think its close to 7 million.
  • Options
    But think that over 2 million trucks sold just counting Four. That a hell of a lot of trucks. In the top ten pickups alone there were 3.2 million sold. I'd say 7 million vehicles may even be a bit shy.
  • Options
    You are probably right,imagine all that money the car manufactures make.And this year they'll probably sell more than last year.
  • Options
    McDonalds sells billions of burgers. Does that mean their hamburgers are the best quality?
This discussion has been closed.