Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• 4wd_newbie4wd_newbie Member Posts: 5
    I have a 4WD, TRD, Double Cab, Short Bed 2005 Tacoma w/towing package with 26k miles. The original dealer tires(P265/70R16 BFG Rugged Trail T/A) are at the wear bars.

On most weekends, I haul a 2-horse trailer with 2 ponies (my daughter is into showing). We also do some mild off-road (at the barn, in the country, or at the beach), but the majority of driving is around town.

I'm looking at Goodyear Wranglers, LT265/75R16. I notice their is not a lot of clearance between my current tires, and the mud flaps in the front (+/- 2.5").

Anybody using this sized tire on this truck? Will I experience any rub (the Goodyear tech. didn't think so)? Any other suggestions?
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    I've got a 3" lift and 275/70/17 tires. No rubbing. How much $ are you willing to spend? Check my CarDomain for pics and info. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/832238
  • hawkrighawkrig Member Posts: 1
    I have a 3" lift on my 2005 taco pre-runner. I have 285 75 16 on it and only rub on full turn to the stop and only slight rubbing. The problem I have is I have 60,000 on the lift and 90,000 on stock shocks and cant find any shocks for a 3 " lifted taco any help out there?
  • lonwlonw Member Posts: 29
    My '05 Taco speedometer consistently reads about 2-3mph faster than my portable GPS unit measures at the same time. I have stock wheels/tires on the truck, so I assume the speedometer should have been originally calibrated to reflect the correct speed for that tire size.

Does anyone know a GPS unit (which measures speeds to the 10th of a mph) should be more accurate that the stock speedometer?
  • geogeckogeogecko Member Posts: 225
    My GPS receiver shows the same results. They probably factored on the low side (keeps them from being the reason people get tickets, but makes you rack up miles faster than you really are).

The bad thing, is that if you go with bigger tires, you'll make this difference worse.
  • hydrogenflowhydrogenflow Member Posts: 6
    I've got a 2006 Tacoma and am having problems with the driver's side door lock freezing internally on cold icy days.
    (I don't have this problem with the passenger side door lock.)

Also, with regard to the driver's side door lock: it doesn't matter how much water I poor on the door seal/lock it remains locked. Which tells me that the door lock itself must be frozen internally within the casing of the door itself.

Is there a water tight recessed seal around the door lock that may be cracked or broken? Also, would this be an easy repair for a Toyota dealership to take care of, or am I looking at possibly creating more problems by having them tinker around in there?

Any suggestions?
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    You are putting water on the lock and wondering why it freezes up? You need to put some WD40 or something similar that keeps the water out. As for the speedo, if the speedo is set up to add more miles than you are actually putting on the vehicle, then bigger tires will bring it closer, not make it worse. As for Airbags, when I bought my 05, every 4 door TRD I saw had the full compliment of air bags. I highly doubt they have moved backwards.
  • ltmarltmar Member Posts: 45
    I believe the curtain airbags have been rare on the 2005+ Tacomas. I know it wasn't even discussed when I bought my 2006 4DR TRD Sport 4x4 6M. I just went to the build function on Toyota's website and found that you can't spec the curtain airbags on the TRD Sport with the 6 speed manual. I wouldn't have changed my order to get the airbags. It does seem that it shouldn't raise the price that much to just include them on all trucks and reduce some confusion on option combinations.
  • bama6bama6 Member Posts: 1
    I have a brand new 07 Tacoma access cab v6 1400 miles. When I'm sitting in traffic or at Dunkin donuts drive through I notice the engine occasionally surges to where if I'm not holding the brake down hard it would move forward enough to hit the car in front of me. It seems to do this when the truck is cold or if I'm running the heat or defroster. Is this normal? Thanks for any info.
  • coldfootcoldfoot Member Posts: 49
    I have a 05 access cab. It doesthe same surging you mention. Dealer says it is normal
  • troutdoorsmantroutdoorsman Member Posts: 17
    Since the cold weather has rolled in (15-20 degrees F), when making left hand turns, I notice a sound coming from the front drivers side tire area that sounds like a creeking door being opened. I got feedback from one person who thinks it is a bushing in the stabilizer arm and is just being effected by the cold weather, and says it isn't a big deal. Can anyone give me some input on what they believe is causing this noise?? Thanks!
    I've got an '06 Tacoma TRD Sport (Automatic). When I accelerate gradually it manages to shift rather smoothly through all of the gears except the last. If I accelerate at slow RPMs I notice that once it shifts into a higher gear approx. 30-40 mph. the transmission makes a sudden clunking/thud sound. It's pretty jarring at times, but I notice the clunking/thud sound is less jarring when I accelerate at higher RPMs (above 2,000).

Any thoughts?
  • n74n74 Member Posts: 1
    I've tried to find some sort of locking storage for the '05+ Tacomas for a while now seeing that Toyota saw fit to not put ANY locking storage anywhere in the cab of the truck... you'd think they might have put a lock on the glove box like any other auto manufacturer does... but no. I finally found a company called Console Vault that makes a locking safe type container for various truck consoles, but not for the Tacoma (yet).

I contacted them to find out if they'd be making one of their console safes for our trucks at some point in the future and was told the '05+ Tacoma was on the list for future production, but there were a couple of trucks ahead of ours and the exact production date wasn't set and would be some time away.

He said that if I could find other late model Tacoma owners to contact them letting them know they had an interest in a locking storage compartment for our trucks, that the '05+ Tacoma would get bumped up on that list. The more people that contact them requesting an application for our trucks, the sooner we'd see a product.

Right now I'm gauging interest and keeping track of that interest in a poll over in the 2005+ Tacoma forum at ToyotaNation.com. We're also looking to get some sort of group discount when this thing is eventually sold. So, if you think you might want one, now would be a good time to look into it.

I'm not trying to sell any product (and I hope this isn't taken as such), I'm just trying to get other Tacoma owners to contact this company if they'd like to see them produce a locking storage compartment for our trucks. It looks like a solid, well built safe and it'll fill a real need for us and our trucks. This is something I know I and other Taco owners could really use. Right now at TN, we've already got something like 55 or 56 people who've shown interest in getting this thing made. If you think you could use this, contact the company and ask them to make it. You can call them, fax them, snail mail them or use the contact form on their website. Thanks! :)
  • choppedntubbedchoppedntubbed Member Posts: 39
    My wife's 2006 TRD Sport V6 D-Cab did the same thing, when it was new. After about 5,000 miles, it stopped doing it.
  • white05tacowhite05taco Member Posts: 17
    Has anyone removed the interior plastic trim on the access cab door (i.e. the "little door"). I've got something inside that door (on the driver's side) that starts a really annoying buzzing sound around 2-2,000 rpm and it's driving me mad.

It sorta looks like the trim can just be pulled off as I don't see any exterior screws or anything, but I thought I'd check first.

Thanks
  • nsxwesnsxwes Member Posts: 84
    If you have the climate control in the defrost mode or the air conditioner switched on, the idle jumps up (and feels like a surge) when the compressor is activated automatically as required. That is likely what you are feeling. Wes
  • hobohobo Member Posts: 27
    I have a 2005 SR5 Double Cab LB and I noticed surging quite a bit when I first got it. It was especially disturbing when I was at a stop with a car in front of me (just like you). When I talked to my dealership about it, the service guy just said I probably wasn't putting enough pressure on the brake. Uh, yeah, but NONE of my other cars do this (with the same brake pressure).

Anyway, I'm glad to say that I haven't experienced the surging in a while now. Maybe it just needed some break-in time?
    Or perhaps, you just got used to pressing on the brake harder?

Mine still does it, but I think I've just gotten used to it. Coming from a Prelude that was a 5-speed, it's a big difference to the amount of pressure needed on a brake pedal. In fact, it took me a while before my leg wasn't uncomfortable in stop and go traffic, because of the extra required pressure.
  • franckforetfranckforet Member Posts: 6
    Hi troutdoorsman!

I've had a problem that may be the same as yours. There was a clunk noise comming from the front bumper while driving over bumps or breaking hard. There is a service bulletin (It mean that if you don't complain, they won't change the deffectuous part :confuse: ) on a component on a beam just behind the front bumper. The no of the Service bulletin is 2274,2471. Hopefully it will help you!

Franckforet
  • len888len888 Member Posts: 112
    Never did my '05 V6 5 speed auto ever surge when idling. I doubt surging is either 'normal' or 'acceptable'. In fact, it sounds dangerous. Go to more than one Taco certified mechanic (different dealerships) to get the facts and learn what the 'root cause is for surging'.. Let us all know.
    After having installed a Fold-A-Cover on my '05 Access Cab over a year ago, I find it still is weather, water. snow tight at all driving speeds. Same for the occassional run thru the local brushless car wash. I reported last year that I would write you guys and gals a follow up report and must say Fold-A-Cover is one fine product. They have a nice web site showing the cover in different folding positions. www.Fold-A-Cover.com
    Once the lock is unfrozen you need to lubricate it, so it will repel water and it won't freeze again. I spray my key with teflon lube and then stick the key in and out of the lock several times. Spray the key a few times. The oil will get on the tumblers inside the lock, and it should prevent the lock from freezing up again.

You could also take the door panel off and spray the linkage with some lubricant. The door panel is easy to take off. Two screws, a pin, pull out on the bottom and then lift straight up.
    Donahoe Racing makes shocks for lifted Tacomas. They are reservoir shocks, so they're about $200 each. If you want something cheaper then look into Old Man Emu shocks. Contact ARB to see what you need. They should be about $70 each. http://www.arbusa.com/
    If you want a 3" lift then here is what you need for the rear of your truck. Much better than AALs or blocks.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t180412.html

:)
    Thanks for the great advice pb2themax. I'll give that a try and see what happens.
    Does anyone know what the reason would be for why my '06 Tacoma Sport TRD (Automatic transmission) shifts abruptly into 4th gear? It seems to shift smoothly through all of the other gears at any rpm just fine... but, not 4th gear... it jerks suddenly. What's the reason for this? I've only got 6,600 miles on it... and I don't recall it doing this before.
  • fsacjfsacj Member Posts: 8
    Now that the huge Tundra is out, I think there's room for a regular cab Tacoma with an 8' bed in the midsized truck market. The wheelbase is already there. I don't think it would look too weird. Sort of like a T100.

While I'm dreaming, how about a V8 too?
  • cf51nyycf51nyy Member Posts: 2
    Hey how did you intall the drainage tubes with the factory bedliner installed?
    e-mail Fold-A-Cover.com to find out their tonno model for your particular mode/bed size Taco. Probably the same two that fit the -05 short and long beds.

There are no drain tubes involved with a Fold-A-Cover tonno. The cover includes two long molded j-channel strips that adhere full length to the top of the factory bedliner. Each folding panel is interconnected to its adjacent panel with piano hinges. A 3/16 diam. rod stub projects from each side of all hinges. Those rods ride inside the j-channel rails. Piano hinges have full length water tight gaskets. The first panel directly behind the cab and the last panel that meets the closed tailgate have custom cut gaskets to butt fit their contact surfaces on the truck bed. My tonno on my '05 access cab is two years old and has seen all weather extremes and power washings here in the northeast. It is weather tight and is one remarkable tonno although it's a bit pricey. It cost me appprox $640. as a factory kit which I installed myself (except for an occassional third hand from my bride of 42 years!!) Took me one Saturday afternoon to complete.

Go to the we site FOLD-A-COVER.COM to see a neat movie on how it goes together and operates. No sag, no drag.
  • dredoggdredogg Member Posts: 7
    Is it just my 2005 Tacoma that is crooked or has anybody else noticed if they have a crooked truck. My truck was dogtracking, crooked bed and now leans to the left not to mention a steering wheel that gradually goes to the right even after an alignment job. All I have to say is POOR QUALITY CONTROL TOYOTA!!!!!!! It's not like toyota hasn't been having those ISSUES!!!!!! BEWARE OF THE CROOKED TACOMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tell the chick to get in the right side back seat, instead of the left side. That should fix it. ;)
    No I thought I was at a dealership and not a fruitstand!!!!
  • dudleydudley Member Posts: 9
    Log jumped up an broke the fixed back glass (driver's side) of a DC 05 Tacoma -- estimtes are -- the glass is not for sale have to repalce the whole thing $726 or $1051 -- wonder why Toyota does not have an extra piece of glass they could sell -- dealer I bought it from :confuse: was of absolutly of no help -
  • bbarian333bbarian333 Member Posts: 4
    look at the rubber surrounding the glass. even if you could buy the single peice of fixed glass you would never be able to install it.
    Don't go to the dealership for glass repair. Go to a auto glass repair shop. They will be much better and cheaper.
  • dudleydudley Member Posts: 9
    Here is the deal -- the back window from toyota is $1025 installed (toyota does not do glass it is all subed out) Window itself was $725 OR I could go with an after market window for $419 installed -- it is being done now; so, realy do not know if I can tell a diffenrece -- but went the $419 route. I could not get just the piece of glass any where in Washington DC -- I'm glad that I could even get done what I could and pick it up tonihgt
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    Good Day, It,s been a while from my lasttime Iposted in here,The check engine light on my toyota 06 tacoma is on
    right now, I do not have the time to take it to the dealer is there a way to re-set the light?
    thanks
    fig.
    That sounds like the best thing to do...

:sick:
    The method for resetting it is described in the owner's manual.
  • eaglegeagleg Member Posts: 87
    With engine off, hold trip meter in and turn the key to the on position.Hold til the ----- click off.
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    thanks, eagleg,
    fig
    Well, there is a difference between the "Check Engine" light, and the "Maintenance Required" light. You gave the procedure for resetting the "Maintenance Required" light.

The OP asked about the "Check Engine" light.

But it appears from his response, that he really wanted to know how to reset the "Maintenance Required" light, which is basically just a dumb mileage counter.

The check engine light is something that shouldn't be ignored.
  • wsuiterwsuiter Member Posts: 6
    can someone please help me out? i have heard a lot about the 63 series air charger and how great it is. so... i ordered one, it came today. all over the box it says for racing only and not street legal. what is everyones take. is it really that big of a deal. i drive my truck on the street all day long. (work and play)
  • tacojohntacojohn Member Posts: 9
    I wish there were more pics on the website.... I guess you like your cover; how well do the locks work? How does the cover lock the tailgate?
    I have an '05 Taco, dbl cab, long bed. I guess the 6 ft cover will fit.
  • kfaulk45kfaulk45 Member Posts: 1
    I need to find the color code for my MAF to install a fuel saver resistor. I have a 07 taco access cab with 4.0, help
  • dr_oldschooldr_oldschool Member Posts: 6
    I am thinking of getting the TRD Exhaust. I am wondering if any of that have it are displeased with increased cab noise or vibration?
    Thanks
    For all you 2005+ Tacoma owners out there check your truck to see if it is CROOKED. The only way I found out that it was CROOKED is I happened to follow my truck in another vehicle and I could not believe what I was seeing. Toyota replaced both leaf springs and adjusted the bed not to mention elongating the alignment pin whole to fix the dogtracking problem and it is still CROOKED. I've seen many trucks on the road CROOKED as hell and the owner doesn't even know. Toyota is going to have to give me a FREE truck to shut me up!!!!!!
  • motherto3motherto3 Member Posts: 1
    This is as funny as can be. Have you seen this mentioned elsewhere as an issue? Ours is on order so now I know to inspect it very well b/c it may be CROOKED! I am interestefd to know if other Taco owners out there have noticed this as well and if so, what is Toyota saying?
  • pumadacufspumadacufs Member Posts: 2
    Um yeah, I just noticed the same thing. I've had truck for 2 years. It has a 3" Revtek front lift w/ rear add-a-leafs. I just put some firestone airbags on the rear, and that's when I noticed the "crookedness." I thought it was my DIY air bag install, but then I let all the air out and the truck was still about 1.5 inches higher on right rear side. So, I measured the front, and it's about 1 inch higher on the right. What can I do now? Toyota will blame it on the lift. The lift will blame it on Toyota!
  • bbarian333bbarian333 Member Posts: 4
    Bought my 06, access cab, prerunner, trd sport, last Oct. Noticed the bed was not mounted staight the day i bought it. Had the dealer staighten it before i brought it home. I've watched my truck drive away from me and it doesn't seem to dogtrack. Alignment is staight when driving.I'm real obsessive about my truck, so i notice anything that's not right. A different issue than the side to side alignment is the height alignment. My truck is also about .5" lower on the drivers side front than on the pass. side. I was told all Tacomas do this since there is more weight on the drivers side, gas tank, battery, etc. Was told that some people are trying stiffer springs. Then, i noticed that the trd off-road has different springs than the trd sport.Not sure if the trd off-road had the same issue or not. Don't think mine has crooked issues as bad as yours dredogg, but i would like mine to be better than it is. I'm probably going to try a really good aftermaket suspension and slight lift.