Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

1143144145146147149»

Comments

• speedingspazspeedingspaz Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 toyota tacoma 2.7 it has a timing chain.
  • yankeeralphyankeeralph Member Posts: 1
    I have searched far and wide to try and find an answer, this is my first post.

I own a 2009 Tacoma reg cab, 4wd, 4 cylinder, manual with 20K miles. At about 10K miles I noticed a harsh howl noise when going between 55-75 mph but only when light deceleration. Like when you just let your foot off the gas on the highway as you are going down hill. A slight apply of the throttle makes the noise go away. Put the transmission in neutral and/or push in the clutch and the noise is stays -- but now throttle position has no effect on the noise. The noise is very noticeable.

The dealer changed the rear fluid to some sort of synthetic-- no change. The dealer refused any further work on the truck since it has has a 2" non-stock lift with slightly larger tires.

I did a 1" diff drop for the front -- no changes.

I added an approx 2 deg axle shim on the rear -- no change.

I replaced the transfer case fluid with purple power 75-90 fluid -- no change.

I relubed all u-joints -- no change.

The next step is to replace transmission lube with purple power lube to see what this effect is -- but I just cannot see this working. I am stumped!!!!

Since the noise stays when in I am in neutral (or clutch in) then I would expect the that the motor and anything associated with motor is not the issue. ie air pump, fan clutch etc.

Since I am not in 4 wd, I can assume that it is not anything associated with the front end. Wheel bearings, wheel alignment, differential, etc.

My only other choice seems there is something in the transmission. I will do the purple power in the tranny to see if there is any change in the noise level or type of sound.

Any suggestions? Any ideas will help. Toyota refuses to help unless I remove all the mods done for the lift. Since nothing is broken, truck drives good, no abnormal sounds under heavy acceleration or deceleration -- it (hopefully) is nothing major.

Not sure if anybody has an answer, but I would appreciate any help. Email me at emberglo2001yahoo.com if you would like. Thanks for all your help.

:cry:
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    I would remove the lift kit and let the dealer figure it out under warranty.
  • tacomaryetacomarye Member Posts: 11
  • tacomaryetacomarye Member Posts: 11
    I have heard that the cause of the Gas Pedal stick situation is not caused by floor mats, but rather the type of lubrication used on the gas pedal mechanics. Does anyone know if this is true?
  • popcrn06popcrn06 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever fix this problem I am experiencing almost the exact same problem on the exact same truck. I have a prerunner suspension is the only difference.
  • mbc2959mbc2959 Member Posts: 1
    Hey tribum, I know this is an old as hell post but did u ever get ur n2 installed in yout yota?
  • 09taco09taco Member Posts: 33
    does anyone with a 2009 Tacoma v-6 4x4 had any troubles with not starting at a cold start up.? mine acts like its lacking Fuel pressure, the motor turns over, and over way to many times before it starts, my truck only has 9k miles on it. dealer couldn't find a problem, no codes show up in computer.....
  • eric_n_dfweric_n_dfw Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2010
    I'm considering buying a Double-Cab Pre-Runner w/ TRD Off-Road but am wondering if the JBL audio w/ BlueTooth is worth nearly a grand. I have a Sony receiver that I could put in but would probably end up spending over a grand on brand name speakers, amps and subwoofer. Are there any good reviews of the JBL system?
  • 09taco09taco Member Posts: 33
    I have a 2009 V-6 Tacoma auto double cab TRD off Road. I'm getting lots of black carbon exhaust build up on the inside of the tail pipe and on the exterior of the truck right above the exhaust tail pipe. I believe the truck is running very rich in gas to air ratio. However, I don't have a check engine light on. My truck only has 10k miles on it. I spoke with another tacoma owner, he has over 28k miles with no carbon build up. and runs very clean.....I was just checking to see if anyone else observed the same as I did. Maybe a TSB would correct this....
  • eforsstromeforsstrom Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2010
    I am so glad you posted this. I have had the same issue since my 2005 Tacoma V6, Auto, Double Cab, Short bed, was new. The dealer keeps saying it is normal.
    Like you my pipe is black, and the mud flap and the lower rear body panel too. I thought it was running to rich, so at about 30k miles I changed to a K&N air filter hoping that would help lean it out. No noticable change. I now have 76k miles on it.
    If any one knows something constructive about this, please let me know.
    I love my truck, but this does not seem normal.
  • bigandybigandy Member Posts: 70
    Had my 2005 V6 4x4 TRD Access Cab in for the 45k service yesterday and my mechanic called me during the day to report he found a creamy foam under the oil cap and that the coolant level was down (1 pt to 1 qt). He was thinking head gaskets but as I read on line about others finding this, it looks like it's probably pretty normal. I usually change the oil myself before I go in, so he normally wouldn't see this, even if it were an ongoing problem. He's also familiar with the head gasket problems on some of the other Toyota V6's which may have made him more likely to favor that explanation of what's going on.

I went to the local Toyota service desk and talked to the assistant service manager about the problem. He pointed out that we don't actually know the starting level of the coolant, so it may have been down a little for the 15k and 30k services. I only put on about 8k or 9k miles a year, so it was at least a year and a half ago that the 30k service happened. I NEVER look at the coolant because it has never shown signs of problems and it's a young vehicle. The service guy also said the foam can easily be caused by condensation and would be considered normal, barring other symptoms. I do a lot of short trips and that makes it less likely that the condensation would be removed from a hot engine.

Both the Toyota service guy and my mechanic agree that we should watch the coolant and the oil more carefully for a while. I'm inclined to think that the coolant loss happened over a matter of years and is ultimately not something that indicates big problems (like the need to replace head gaskets at $2k.

Has anyone else had experience with this problem? I don't see much reference to it here, though there is some on a couple of the other boards.

Thanks in advance.
  • al16al16 Member Posts: 1
    Do I need to replace the whole rack & pinion assembly if the driver side boot is leaking grease? I asked NAPA tech and told me most likely I have to do the whole thing to make sure that no steering fluid is lost? Can I do that my self or I have to take it to the shop? Please advice.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    When, and what year, did the Tacoma get "blown up" to the size of the Tundra...?

And why...??
    2005. That's why this is the 2005+ forum.
  • techman41973techman41973 Member Posts: 83
    Im wondering how easy it is to remove and replace the blow motor (which blows air for heater and AC functions).
    A friend of mine has low air output, the fan noise varies, especially when going over a bump. The bearings are starting to go, probably needs replacement
    edited July 2010
    Blower motor bearing failure is pretty rare, more likely something(s...?) down inside the squirrel cage blower wheel itself, bird, mouse, debris, etc.
  • cregocrego Member Posts: 1
    Hi Bigandy!

You are a genius!
    The whole thing took less than 10 minutes and my display is now brighter than ever. You saved me a wad of money

Thanks,
    Chuck
    Kind of amazing, isn't it. Going to Toyota costs $800 or more to replace that thing. Seems that nearly all of them fail and it should be a TSB repair, not something that civilians are talking about here. Glad it worked for you.
  • claudieclaudie Member Posts: 2
    ANY ONE KNOW OF A CLASS ACTION ON THIS FRAME RUST PROBLEM? MY TRUCK IS A MESS TOYOTA IS GIVING ME THE RUN AROUND. SO MUCH FOR 2005 TRUCK OF THE YEAR . IF YOU LIVE NEAR THE OCEAN OR IN THE NORTH EAST WHERE THERE IS ROAD SALT. YOU WILL MOST LIKELY HAVE PROBLEMS. WE HAVE TO COMPLAIN!!! MY TRUCK ONLY HAS 60000 ON IT. AND I WONDER IF It'll GET ANOTHER 10 BEFORE IT FALLS APART.
  • coldfootcoldfoot Member Posts: 49
    My 2005 access cab frame is rusting bad also. The dealer says surface rust is visible but no soft spots....anyone walking by can see all the rust...it is flaking real bad. Toyota will only say....2005 tacoma is not included in frame program...i told them it needs to be...they had no other response...
  • mikesvstarmikesvstar Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2005 tacoma acc cab, my frame is rusting too. its not thru yet but getting there. I have 90000 miles on it, also other than the frame rusting, my truck looks like it came off the showroom floor. I am not sure it will last another 5 years. toyota should take care of it. who do we call about the frame.
  • jomano1jomano1 Member Posts: 4
    I also have an '05 and the body is perfect but the frame and all under-body brackets are seriously rusting. I called Toyota and logged a complaint and am logging another one at the next dealer visit. The more people who complain the more likely it is to get resolved. I am also considering writing the Attorney General of CT. It is BS. I complained 3 years ago to the dealer.
  • techman41973techman41973 Member Posts: 83
    Consumer Reports rates replacement car batteries and divides their reviews into battery "groups", group 35 , group 65 etc.
    Does anyone know the group code for 2005+ Tacoma car battery.
    Thanks
  • landcruiser76alandcruiser76a Member Posts: 5
    i have a 09' tacoma that i took to the dealer...when driving over 60mph the truck does not de-accelerate. it appears to be worse in colder weather and does not do it below 60 mph or all the time. the dealer WEBB TOYOTA, in farmington new mexico, refused to address the issue. claimed there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. refuse to even go on a test drive. they accutally claim that it was normal and that the vehicle would slow down when applying the brakes...well i would hope so! i have the manual 5 speed tranny. when you clutch it at high speeds the engine does not idle down, recently on snow packed roads in colorado i had to turn off the ignition in order to get the rpms down. i have a friend with an 08', same problem. sometimes tapping the accelerator will make the engine idle down... others time it won't. what use is a manual tranny truck that you can not decelerate with. i've been reading on the web and have found others with the same problem...they were also ignored by their dealers... what is a guy to do????
  • fmpintofmpinto Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 which passed inspection in 2009. It failed last month due to a very large hole which dealer told me took more than a year to develop, but I was out of the warranty period!!

I originally attempted to talk to Toyota via the phone but spoke to a very rude and nasty Case Manager, who basically said "too bad". When I asked to speak to her supervisor, she initially refused and said that Customer Support Supervisors do not talk to customers! She eventually gave me a name. I spoke to a supervisor the next day who was even more unprofessional and told me that he was the highest person in Toyota I could speak with and his decision to deny the warranty claim was final. He said I was lucky he called me back as supervisors don't talk to customers!!

He encouraged me to contact the President and CEO of Toyota, the BB and the Attorney General. So I wrote to the CEO and many other VP's pleading my case and letting them know that my family and I are loyal customers and would be purchasing another Toyota if they honored their warranty.

The answer was "the hole may have been overlooked in 2009, but you are now out of the warranty period".

So, I filed complaints with the BB, NHTSA, Consumer Protection Agency, The Attorney General and the Federal Trade Commission. I also contacted several well respected writers in the auto world at the NY Times and a local news station is considering "investigating" my complaint. I was hoping not to bring additional bad press to Toyota, but they left me no other alternative.
    edited December 2010
    "...worse in colder weather.."

There is a new technique "afoot" wherein with a manual transmission the engine will be "up-revved" if a coastdown, engine compression braking, downshift or not, results in some level of driven wheel slip as a result of slippery road conditions.

The technique was originally developed by VW to reduce instances of loss of directional control on their manually equipped FWD cars and by now may have migrated to other fleets, even RWD.

And think about it, do you REALLY want the engine RPM down to idle when you "de-clutch" doing 75MPH on a slippery roadbed...?? Many new sports cars will now automatically "blip" the throttle as/when you downshift an automatic.
    "think about it"????

i've been driving sticks for 40 years...30 years in the high country of colorado.
    Yes, i want the engine to idle down...i want to be in control of the vehicle...not the vehicle in control of me.
    whether the roads are slippery or not if i release the accelerator i want to slow down, period. if it is actually designed this way then why doesn't it do it all the time...very spuratic....very inconsistent
    On a known slippery roadbed an experienced "stick" driver would automatically uprev the engine prior to a downshift "at speed" in order to alleviate the potential for skidding or plowing. The new technique allows VW to sell otherwise PATENTLY UNSAFE FWD cars with a stick shift without incurring the liability arising from use by inexperienced FWD "stick" drivers.
    you sound like a toyota dealer, ignoring the problem and making up your own scenerious to justify the un-solved problem. who said anything about downshifting on slippery roads or front wheel drives. toyota can't or hasn't figured out how to fix the problem of a sticking accelerator. period. and you want to justify it?

the king is necked...the suit of cloths is the lie.
    Nekkid, not "necked"..
    You did....

"...when you clutch it at high speeds the engine does not idle down, recently on snow packed roads in colorado.."
    fair enough...i had to clutch it to slow down. maybe you've hit the nail on the head. extend your logic a bit.

going down hill on slippery road, driver de-accelerorates, driving wheels slip, non-board computer detects slippage and revs up engine, vehicle increases in speed. sounds exactly what the stories are in the news, CAR SPEEDs UP ON IT'S OWN. so, maybe the vehicle hits a bump in the road....wheel slippage...vehicle accelerorates. possible a bit of sand on the road...same effect.

if this is indeed the intended design, then why doesn't toyota print this...why let unsuspecting drivers find out the hard way? and why does the engine rev down below 60mph like a normal vehicle? and why does the engine rev down when you tap the accelerator, sometimes? if what your saying is true then toyota is trying to make the vehicle smarter than the driver. that's just dumb. and the really big question...why did they try to explain it on faulty floor mats and accelerator pedals???? and why did NASA get involved if toyota purposely design the vehicle this way...they would have already know what was causing the problem?

or is just another government cover up conspirisey.

you sound like a smart guy west...maybe you have the answers...i'm all ears
    excuss me Mr. English.....but the correct spelling is "naked"
    I was born in Arkansas...
    ".. Toyota is trying to make the vehicle smarter than the driver.."

No, just smarter than the AVERAGE driver....

Take a new Porsche 996 or 997, for instance.

The factory expects that anyone purchasing a Porsche in this class will know how to "drive" the vehicle. So the PSM, stability system, is designed to delay taking any corrective action, activity, until the driver has an opportunity to do so.

Toyota's VSC, on the other hand, acts INSTANTLY to correct any yawing condition because there in NO expectation of the AVERAGE driver having the experience, background, or knowledge as to how to correct for a plowing/understearing condition.
  • elkwalkerelkwalker Member Posts: 2
    2006 Tacoma TRD V6 navigation system burned out 6 months after I got it. any cheap fix its? I forgot all about it til riding in friends truck.
    Sure, buy a portable Garmin.
  • drod144drod144 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 2005 tacoma the dealer replaced rear diff. i got tired going back . I got a set of new tires today the noise was worse went back to discount tire and found out the front left bearing was bad took it to a to a local shop and they replaced bearing noise is gone my truck has 102k miles hope this helps you
  • issysmomissysmom Member Posts: 1
    Big Andy-THANK YOU! We did just exactly that- it's 11pm and we couldn't wait to take your suggestion- we fixed the "$800 problem" in 10 minutes. And we didn't even need to reset. You rock.
  • yamahawife91yamahawife91 Member Posts: 2
    This morning on my way into the office I stopped and got gas when my light came on. I only got about half a tank because i was running late. About 5 miles down the road i was at a stop light and when i went to accelerate from said stop light my truck wouldn't go. I had to mash the gas pedal for it to go. It slowly got worse as I got closer to the office. None of my idiot lights are on, and I work in a not so good part of town and don't want to continue driving my truck for fear it might break down on me.
    I called my husband and he won't be able to come look at it for a few hours. He seems to think I got gas with water in it, but I'm sure it could be anything.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • yamahawife91yamahawife91 Member Posts: 2
  • dja9520dja9520 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 toyota tacoma 4.0 4x4 with aprox 140k miles on it. I've had a problem develop. Here's the problem: I backed up out a parking spot, went aprox 50 feet, hit the brakes to turn out of a restaurant (so low speed) and the rps dropped in half, the truck seemed to lock up, motor stalled, electronics went out, kind like the trucked was slammed in to part. only lasted a couple of seconds. same thing happened today, truck was drove aprox 10 miles in to town, went to a fast food restaurant and while in line the same problems as mentioned above happened. Anyone know whats going on with my truck?

thanks in advance dja9520

Some addition information: Front Brakes were redone about 2 weeks ago
  • hybrid93hatchhybrid93hatch Member Posts: 35
    I've been reading that the 3rd generation Tacoma will be released as a 2013 model. I've yet to see any pics or read this from Toyota. What's the latest?

Thank you.