Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• abvelvabvelv Member Posts: 9
    Thanks volley,

I've been trying not to put my foot into it too much. However, when I'm giving someone a ride for the first time, it is difficult not to show them how well it accelerates. Also, all driving has been city so far. I'll have a chance to do some highway driving in a few weeks.
  • westeemwesteem Member Posts: 49
    Have an '05 Tacoma access cab (XRunner). The carpet on the driver side gets wet under the rubber mat. No indication of where it is coming from. Top of rubber mat is dry so suspect it is dripping from the front of the dash and working its way to the floor. Maybe a/c leak? Anyone with the same problem?
  • 88toylc88toylc Member Posts: 53
    I have just reached the 1,000 mile point on my 4x4 Double Cab short bed. During the firs 750 miles I drove almost exclusively in town with lots of driving on steep hills (a characteristic of my norther Arizona community). For the first 750 miles I got gas mileage of between 16 mpg and 17 mpg consistently. [I have tried to be very light on the gas peddle except for a few occasions when I felt compelled to goose the gas and see how the truck accelerated.] I drove to and from Phoenix on the freeway over the weekend and just filled up today. I got just over 20 mpg for the freeway driving and a small amount of city driving before and after my trip to and from Phoenix. I was going between 75 and 80 mph on the highway. The truck drove like a dream and must have gotten about 21 mpg on the freeway.
  • mudrunnermudrunner Member Posts: 6
    try www.4wheelparts.com for your tube steps they have great deals. also i am fairly new to this site and am currently looking to get an 05 access cab finally got to see one at the dealership the other day, they say they go as fast as they can get em in. so i appreciate all the comments on them. i had a 90 taco for 4 years and loved to death, i took that thing anywhere i wanted no problems, but i blew the rear end and had to sell. now im driving a sunfire, dont know how anybody ever goes through life without a 4x4.
  • spleckspleck Member Posts: 114
    Holdback is covered by Edmunds: http://www.edmunds.com/advice/incentives/holdback/index.html

Your profile shows you're a salesman. Your "example" doesn't help your case, but most salesmen don't actually understand the overall financial picture of car sales. In fact, its in most dealership's best interest to keep the salesmen out of the loop. One of the reasons for holdback was to reduce profit at the time of the sale, reducing commission.
  • footpoundsfootpounds Member Posts: 22
    I have an '02 Double Cab that had this problem but on the passenger side. To make a very long story short, it turns out that it was water that was leaking in at a seam between the front fender and the body (from rain or from washing your truck). There is a TSB dealing with this issue. The fix was to remove the fender and caulk/recaulk the seam(s) but let the dealership do this under warranty. When I was researching the problem with my truck, I read where some trucks as old as 1999 had this issue so it is amazing to me that this is still popping up on the '05 models! If it makes you feel any better, I had the fix done on my truck back in September and haven't had any problems since. Good luck.
  • brihambriham Member Posts: 33
    I've always loved the Tacoma but the '05 is a thing of beauty. It seems bigger or more substantial, plenty of horsepower.

Here is a very good review:

http://www.automedia.com/autoReviews/toyota/tacoma/rts20041201tt.- asp?affid=
  • volleyvolley Member Posts: 298
    Where are you located? The dealearship here just got a few new ones including a X-Runner. The Access cab looks great. I have the Doublecab but the Access I test drove was very nice as well.
  • wilcoxwilcox Member Posts: 582
    have a DC and noticed moisture under passenger floor mat.

Would not have noticed it except the truck was parked in subfreezing weather for a while and the water surfaced and beaded up...found when vacuming last week....was hoping that it might have been a water bottle or something...

I'll continue to look at this area and report if it continues.

Thanks footpounds.!
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    Could it be a clogged A/C drain? I've seen in some cars (especially new model introductions) where there is a defect in the AC drainage (either blocked or malformed) and it will dump water onto the front passenger's footwell.

Just a guess.
  • offroader3offroader3 Member Posts: 37
    I live here in Sacramento,CA the dealer told me it's nation wide back order for tube steps,where do you live?
  • stephen1stephen1 Member Posts: 27
    With the TRD off road you get a locking rear end that you manually engage when needed. I've never had such a feature before. My previous trucks either had regular limited slip or the auto locking rear end (GMs current version). I've liked those versions because it's available automatically and when needed - such as pulling on the highway from a dirt road, pulling out of parking lot in wet weather, etc. You'd feel one wheel start to slip and then the other would engage and off you'd be. I've done the same in an open differential truck and you just end up spinning the one wheel for a good ways until you're up to speed. I sure do want the TRD off road because of it's other features but the push button locking rear end makes me hesitate. I'm sure its great when you're strictly off road in low traction conditions - but otherwise??. Any comments?
  • saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    is not really a locker. Put it up on jacks and try it out and you will see that it is really a mislabeled limited slip differential. A manual locking differential is what you want if you off road at all -- otherwise, not. FYI, Four Wheeler magazine did a comparo with the Tacoma, Hummer ( the $100k+ version), Land Rover Disco, and Jeep TJ, and the Tacoma beat them all solely because of the selectable locker that it had.

For the "urban wheeling" you talk about you would be much better suited with the sport package, not off road.
  • charlie_bcharlie_b Member Posts: 19
    anyone know if the 05 tacoma uses a timing belt or timing chain? if belt, what's the recommended time to change it? on my camry, it's every 4 years or 60,000 miles. somebody was trying to tell me it's every 30,000 miles on the new tacomas.
  • sbernsteinsbernstein Member Posts: 17
    Hello all - this afternoon I purchased a Black 2005 Taco DoubleCab with automatic and 4x4. It has the following packages: TRD Offroad #2, VSC, side airbag package, JBL stereo upgrade, daytime running lights, VIP security system, exhaust tip, front skid plate, floor mats/sill protector/first aid kit. MSRP was $32,009 and it had an "adjusted market value" add-on of $1995 for a total of $34,004. My price this afternoon was $29,300 plus tax/title.

What a fantastic rig this thing is!
  • djwtarheeldjwtarheel Member Posts: 14
    I too am very interested in the fix. I bought a 2005 DBL CAB SB TRD sport package 4x2 in mid December and am also hearing a rattle noise from the right front tire area (only happens at slow to mid speed over little bumps or potholes). I tried removing everything from the inside of the truck as well as securing the seat belt...still there. I took it back to the dealer, and they replaced the suspension bushings and lower control arm....and alas the noise is still there (they had the truck for 2 days). I appreciate the info. and will take this to the dealer....and will let you know my progress....
  • nicnac1nicnac1 Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone give me information or tell me where i might find information on the specific model of the stereo components (tuner and cd player). I'm interested in schematics, diagrams, information to see if it is possible to install auxiliary audio ports.
    I, too, am interested in having an auxilary inpu on my new 2005 taco. I have the JBL sound system and want to use an iPod with it. FM transmitters I have used are horrible.
  • nickt1nickt1 Member Posts: 32
    In general, Toyota recommends changing the timing belt on trucks at 90,000 miles. I read through the maintenance schedule of my 05 Tacoma, though, and there's no time scheduled to change the timing belt. At 90,000 miles the schedule mentions a few vehicles when the change is due, but the Tacoma is not one of the vehicles mentioned. I don't know if this is a misprint, though--I will have to check with the dealer. If the book is right, you never have to change it.
  • bwramseybwramsey Member Posts: 2
    The 4 Cyl 05 Tacoma has a timing chain vice a belt. Not sure on the 6.
    Congrats on the new truck, sounds like a great ride you got. Sounds like a pretty good deal too!
  • dalejr8dei1dalejr8dei1 Member Posts: 5
    Can anyone tell me how the JBL radio sounds in the Taco? Is the JBL really worth the extra money? I am placing my order for a DCLB 4x4 sport this week. I cannot find a Taco with the JBL to compare in my area.
  • bull77ockbull77ock Member Posts: 4
    I am looking for a mid size truck and have started to look at the 2005 Tacoma and Frontier. Currently have a 98 Nissan Pathfinder with 140K on it and it has been the best vehicle I have ever had. I would really like to buy a Toyota truck, been my goal for some time now.

I am not going to be doing any heavy duty off road driving. I live in upstate NY and live on a killer hill, so I need four wheel drive. Toyota confuse the heck out of me with all the options. I want it to ride well on the highway since my kids are older now and I will mostly travel with just my wife. I am looking at the Tacoma access cab. I think I want the SR5 option but not sure. If anyone can help me sort out the options, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Bob
    Thanks - i really love it thus far. Can't complain about the deal, either. I guess it paid to have some patience and wait till the last few days of the year!
    I have the JBL option on my new rig. For a stock system from a manufacturer, its really pretty decent in my estimation. If I had to make a complaint, it would probably go against the sub at this point - it sounds a bit more "boomy" than I personally care for. If you can get the upgrade at or near invoice, I would say its worth it, but it does truly depend on how much of an audiophile you are.
    I am still on my initial tank of gas, but I know that some members are not bothering to put premium (93 octane) fuel in their 2005 Tacomas. Curious as to what effects this might have on the trucks mileage? What other effects (knock, etc) might it have? Glad to see gas prices down this week, but Premium is still fairly expensive. Will there be any detrimental effects if I use normal regular unleaded (87 octane)?
  • coinneachcoinneach Member Posts: 34
    I found this at Toyota.

Year -- Engine -- Belt/Chain/Gear

1995-2005 -- 4 Cylinder -- Chain

1995-2004 -- V6 -- Belt

2005 -- V6 -- Chain
  • tarboroheel1tarboroheel1 Member Posts: 12
    I got mine back and it is as quiet as a church mouse now. It is incredible how quiet this thing is now that this is fixed. They took the coub mount bolts loose, jacked the truck cab off the chassis and lubricated the bushings as well as adjusted the position of the bolts as they put it back together. All I can say is finally it is gone. They informed the Toyota district rep. I don't know how far it got after that. The Toyota dealer in Wilson, NC is my dealer and they came onto this website after I told them about all the other people on here complaining. They let Toyota know they may have a problem.
  • stnickstnick Member Posts: 177
    I just purchased the 05 Tacoma SR5 double cab 4X4 with the TRD off road package # OG 2. Tacoma 4X4 systems are pretty simple, but their rear end choices can be a little confusing. Mine has an electric locker selectable by a switch on the dash. You only use it while in 4 wheel low setting at 5mph or less. Then they also offer a limited slip differential, and a AUTO LSD in some packages. From what I can see the AUTO LSD is only used while in 2 wheel drive. And I don't think is acually a limited slip. More like a vehicle stability assist feature.Also activated by a dash switch. Any how, the 4 wheel system is part time with 2 speed transfer case in all 4X4's. Hope this helps, Nick.
    Hi there. I too live in northern AZ, and just bought my Tacoma 12-31. It is definitly much smoother and solid, and ofcourse larger than last years and before models. I like to do some moderate off roading but still like a nice highway ride as well. Time will tell on the milage. Have you been using premium unleaded in your truck? The owners manual says regular unleaded 87 octane is "OK", but for increased performance and fuel economy use 91 octane premium unleaded. My neighbor just bought a 2 wheel drive double cab and has only used regular unleaded, got 20-21 mpg on a 600 mile trip to Calif, said he didn't hear any pinging. I hope they do well on fuel with gas prices where they are. Here lately we are down to $1.65 a gallon. Better than a couple of months ago! Nick.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    Hey stnick - I've been trying to find out about the Auto LSD you wrote about. On the 2WD Access Cab I'm thinking about, Toyota offers this package called VSC + TRAC. It's the Vehicle Skid Control, with Traction Assist. They work by selectively applying the brakes. I'd love to get this option - might be well worth the $800 they want. You had mentioned that there was a switch for the Auto LSD. I like the idea of being able to defeat anything that might prevent it from driving - like when an ABS sensor goes out or something. So I am very interested in your comment. Where did you find out about that switch? Is it in the manual? Any description on what it does, or doesn't do? Thanks in advance.
    thanks for the info on the timing chains/belts. sort of surprised they went to chains. service departments make a fortune replacing belts.
    how do you get the jbl stereo? i can't find it when building one at toyota's web site. does it play mp3?
    In the Pacific NW, Option Combinations C, D, and E have it included. Alone it is Option EJ.

EJ- JBL AM/FM/CD/6 DISC CHANGER, AMPLIFIER

MP3? I don't know. I'm still working with 8-tracks. (Just kidding).
    This info is right out of the my owners manual. It says "The auto lsd system aids traction by using the traction control system to control engine performance and braking when one of the rear wheels begins to spin". " To activate system, push the AUTO LSD switch with the vehicle stopped. The AUTO LSD is avtivated under the following conditions. 1.Driving mode is set to 2WD. 2.Driving at a speed under 62MPH. To cancel, push AUTO LSD switch. Also switch will reset to off upon engin restart." This system is as mentioned here before,is not a mechanical LSD, but a funtion of TV and VSC systems. Hope this helps you. Nick.
    I didn't order my Taco, so the truck on my dealer's lot had the option already. i am pretty sure its a stand-alone option, though. Either way, to my ears, the JBL sound system sounds good.

Unfortunately, Toyota deprived us of MP3 capabilities naively to any of the Taco's audio systems. I have been researching a PIE adapter that plugs into a 12-pin port on the back of the head unit that allows for an auxiliary input - one that can be used with a satellite radio or MP3 player.
  • jdoejdoe Member Posts: 3
    Is there a dipstick for checking the ATF? Could not locate one under the hood or in the manual.
    stnick - Yes. Thanks for the post. I am shopping for 2WD Access Cab, manual trans, and have yet to see one. Your post gives me hope.

It does sound like the manual implies having 4WD, and AUTO LSD gets used in 2WD mode. Now I wonder if they even offer this option on a 2WD model. Does the Manual offer any clues to this?
  • toytrucktoytruck Member Posts: 67
    No. It is a sealed unit.
  • rupnokrupnok Member Posts: 6
    I have a '05 V6 4x4 TRD off-road, access cab on order and know that I am going to want to trade out the P265/70R16's for some larger tires. Does anybody know what size the stock truck (without a lift) will accomodate? I am thinking of getting some 32/1150's. Also, does anybody know if tire stores will deal in this type of trade up? Thanks in advance for any help.
  • webber9966webber9966 Member Posts: 7
    Has any one ever bought any thing from toyotapartsstore.com? They have a good selection of accessories at good prices. Alot better than my toyota dealer is offering. I'm looking to buy some tube steps. Does any one have the oval silver plated tube steps if so how do you like them and what did you pay for them. Are they hard to install? Thanks
    I could be wrong but I think 265/70/16 is already very close to a 32" tire, so I guess you would go with 33s if you want something noticably bigger.
  • geogeckogeogecko Member Posts: 225
    Actually, the stock tires, on both the Sport and Off-Road packages, end up being closer to 30.5's. Not sure what the biggest you could go though, without rubbing. It would be nice if you could at least put 32's on it.
    Only the TRD Sport Package has a real mechanical limited-slip rear differential. You can't get the traction control option (which includes electronic "LSD") with the Sport package. I tried, but the mechanical LSD conflicts with the electronically-induced LSD and other similar controls (VSC-TRAC-HAC-DAC). Here's an excerpt from Toyota Offroad.com.

"The VSC and A-TRAC systems include Automatic Limited-slip Differential (A-LSD), which uses brake intervention in place of a mechanical-type LSD unit to help reduce tire slippage at the rear wheels (the TRD Off-Road Package uses a locking rear differential, and the TRD Sport Package is equipped with a mechanical limited-slip rear differential)."

http://www.toyotaoffroad.com/Articles/Toyota/2005_Tacoma/2005_Tac- - oma.htm
    Your're absolutely right. A 265/75/16 would be closer to 32 (well 31.6 really) but the 70/16 is about 30.5
  • jdvailcojdvailco Member Posts: 26
    Hi all,

I am considering a 2WD Access Cab Prerunner SR5 4 cyclinder. Unfortunately, this means they do not paint the overfenders and instead they leave them unpainted black plastic. Anybody seen this in an actual truck? Wondering if it looks OK or not...
    Yes, I've seen a few of them. Looks cool in White and Impulse Red - bad in Silver Mica or Gold (Desert Sand Mica). Dark Blue (Indigo Ink) might be OK - haven't seen one of those yet, in any form.

I'm shopping for a similar truck, but w/o the lift; I like the 4" lower ride height and better ride/handling. I've seen those in the first four colors listed above. White's my favorite, then Impulse Red (the darker of the two reds offered). Silver hides dirt well, but the truck seems bland as heck in this one. And the Desert (Gold) - can't stand it. Reminds me too much of Rental Car Gold. Completely subjective, of course. Anyone else want to share opinions? Anyone seen the Dark Blue (Indigo Ink Pearl) in anything yet?
  • carfuncarfun Member Posts: 6
    I was not impressed with the factory radio at all. I'm a bit of an audiofile but would have expected factory stereo to at least be as good as my 2000 Ranger stereo (which it was not). I'll be opting for the JBL even though I can't find on to listen to either.
  • jdvailcojdvailco Member Posts: 26
    I saw the indigo blue in the tacoma catalogue. Looks great. A touch too dark in my opinion, but still good.
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    I've seen indigo, but speedway blue is it for me. You must see this color in person to appreciate.