Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Sentra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• hopihopi Member Posts: 1
    CVT = Transmission Xtronic CVT™ (Continuously Variable Transmission)

and not the

Xtronic CVT™ Convenience Plus Package
    Intelligent Key keyless entry and ignition system (Requires Xtronic CVT™)
    Bluetooth® Hands-Free Phone System
    Leather-wrapped steering wheel
    Integrated overhead CD holder
    Divide-N-Hide™ trunk system
    Cargo net and hooks
    Remote trunk release

can you please clarify... thanks :)
  • podunk503podunk503 Member Posts: 45
    No typo. $18990 MSRP 2008 Sentra 2.0 S CVT, Conv pkg, alloy wheels, splash guards and floor mats.

We bought it at $16299 + $134 in dmv fees. Not bad in our opinion as it was tough to find a black one with the conv pkg AND wheels in our area at a decent price.
  • dave175dave175 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2008 Sentra 2.0S, AT, mud guards, and mats for $15,530, excluding taxes and tags at First Team in Roanoke, VA. I test drove the car several times. On the third visit I told them that I had researched prices on Edmund.com and that I would buy the car if they gave me a fair price without haggling, but that I would walk if their first price wasn't right. They gave me the $15,530 price, I took it, and the deal closed smoothly. I believe that I got a fair and reasonable price, but I wonder - how much do you think that I left on the table by not haggling?
  • calc555calc555 Member Posts: 5
    I was able to get a new 2008 Sentra SE-R with Sunroof and smart key for $18400 out the door (which includes all taxes, dealer fees, and tags). I negotiated this price over the internet and phone with local dealers. I think I got a good price; what do you think? BTW - I am very happy with the Sentra so far.
  • marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    That is a good price nice. anyway I was wondering if Anyone has baught a sentria 2 pointo s in that grean color Nissan has I like the color. and before I go to email menny dealers on if they have one in stock and there best prices I just wanted to no what Peapol thaught of the color. I forget the name of the color sorry guys. has anyone baught a sentria from fits Mall in Pa if so how was there byeing experance. Thankyou so mutch for reading my posting Sorry about the spelling Marco.
  • sentra08sentra08 Member Posts: 17
    I just picked up the 2008 Nissan Sentra S CVT with convenience plus, alloy wheels, splash guards, and floor mats with divider for $15400 OTD.
  • tlcruztlcruz Member Posts: 54
    I think you got a good price on your SE-R. I've been looking to replace my 02 SE-R and I can't get any dealerships to be close enough to my price. You got the same options that I want. Where did you get this fabulous deal? :)
  • johnsnyderpdajohnsnyderpda Member Posts: 1
    I bought the car ON THE ROAD (includes all taxes, title, tags) for $ 15,000. This was a 2008 Sentra, 4-door sedan 'S' package, 6-speed manual transmission.
  • falicity98falicity98 Member Posts: 4
    I'm in negotiations with a dealer to buy a 2008 Nissan Sentra 2.0S with floor mats, body-side molding for $14843.00 OTD. That includes a trade-in of a 2004 Suzuki Forenza with 54,000 miles. The Suzuki is in good running condition and the body is good except for a dent in front quarter panel.It also has an alarm system, tinted windows, new tires. I owe 2600 on it. The dealer says he's giving me $1400 on my trade.Does this sound like a good deal?
  • noeffortnoeffort Member Posts: 10
    Thats a good deal, just got a quote for a 08 2.0s for 15,776 + tax + tags.

How much without sales tax?
    Best to give prices without tax as it varies from state to state.
    I'm in az., the car is in Glendale, sales tax is 8.5%. They are charging $908.55 tax, Doc. fee $399.50, title fee 459.00, Lieu tax $297.00.
  • noeffortnoeffort Member Posts: 10
    Just got a another quote for 15,100 (price doesn't inlclude taxes and tags (registration).
    Same price range as you.
    Oops, title fee is $59.00 not 459.00 . The OTD price includes the $1500 rebate and the $4000 their giving me for the trade. Where are you located?
    Before tax, rebates, etc. they say the suggested retail is 16,188.80. By the time the rebate, trade-in is taken off, the sale subtotal is 13,288.80. The total OTD with the trade and tax, title, registration is 14843.22.
  • 2008honda2008honda Member Posts: 17
    Hey Sentra08;

that is very good price....$15,400 OTD..... Is it Sentra 2.0 S CVT? I think .. With that package it is good deal, What are the numbers? (Sale price + Fees + Tax - $1500.0) etc

I Got quote for Sentra 2.0S CVT - No option for $15,750.00 OTD (FL - 7% tax + 450.50 fees + 121 Tag fee - Rebate 1500.0). Do you think it is good?
  • camriokidcamriokid Member Posts: 2
    Got a loss-leader special on a basic model at Silver Star Nissan in Thousand Oaks, CA. Came with A/C, one-disc CD player, CVT, power locks and windows. No Sirius...which I will miss!!! My net cost out the door for this very basic model was $15,100 and that includes the upgrade to the 60month/100,000 mile gold level extended warranty. I am very happy so far. The cabin is VERY quiet, quieter than my Maxima which I traded in. My salesperson was awesome by the way - can't give you the name, but look for the larger guy with the gray hair...tell him Steve sent you. :shades:
    grate deal a grate price I must say it is a grate car you will love it. What year was the Maxmia good car also what color did you get like that grean color rair thanks Marco.
    I just was wondering when Nissan might start selling the 2009 sentrias at dealer ships Pleas let me no thinking aug or sept thanks.
    Hi 2008Honda,

Yeah, it is the 2008 Sentra 2.0 S CVT. Seeing what others have paid, I think I got a great deal. I was skeptical at first that when I arrived to the dealership, something would be wrong with the car, but it was brand new, no problems, with 19 miles on it.

With the options I detailed in my original post, the car sale price was 16255 +985 tax +150 doc fees (unavoidable) + 10 plate transfer - 2000 rebates (1000 w/ 2.9% financing +500 recent college graduate + 500 Memorial Day rebate).

What I did was to send emails via edmunds, cars.com, and yahoo autos to all dealerships in my expanded region for price quotes. I did all the haggling via the internet and phone and found a couple dealerships that had the best price. I was in no rush to buy and took a few weeks to make sure I got the best deal, it paid off. Be sure to let dealers know that you negotiate from invoice, not from msrp. Check out carbuyingtips.com, great site that really helped me out in this, my first new car purchase. That is what I would recommend. Drive a little if it means saving 500 to 1000, that is certainly worth a little travel.

Honestly, knowing what I was able to do, I think they can do a little better for you, try to get that down to 15000 or 15200 if not lower. But check out other dealerships first. The lowest that the dealership in my town could do was 16100 before tax, title, fees, so needless to say, I walked from them since they were way off. Some dealerships just don't understand that we talk about prices and understand what we should be paying and know what their costs really are and those are the dealerships which probably need to charge more to cover the fact that they probably are not selling many automobiles when charging that much, at least in comparison to the dealerships that cater to internet quotes and what not.

Happy shopping, let me know if I can I help out any more.
    Probably September because Nissan seems to start production on the new models sometime in August.
    thankyou sentria08 for the Reply I will keep an eye out on when they start roling on to dealer lots Thankyou.
  • redstripe_e90redstripe_e90 Member Posts: 8
    How did you get the $16,255 price? Was that purely through negotiation? Because just the '08 2.0 CVT car costs $15,926, and with the options you listed: convenience plus (+738),
    alloy wheels (+304),
    splash guards (+105), and
    floor mats (+129),
    that comes out to $17,202 at invoice. And if you add the $660 delivery, the invoice price is $17,862.

Did you negotiate $1,607 off of the invoice price, before even applying the rebates? Was there a trade involved in the deal? Otherwise, that sounds like a monster deal, considering you negotiated $1,607 off of the INVOICE price, and then got another $2,000 in rebates for a new car with only 19 miles.
  • calc555calc555 Member Posts: 5
    It must have been a decent price because all the other dealers in my area didn't even want to negotiate anymore when I told them the price Bill Ray Nissan (Longwood, FL - close to Orlando) would cut the deal for. And we all know how dealers hound you if they think they can make a buck off you! LOL. I had one yo-yo (Daytona Nissan) tell me he would beat the price but wouldn't say by how much - just come on in. I hate it when these dealers sign up to give you their lowest OTD quotes on these websites and then they call and wont give you the quote. Thats just frustrating. I flat out told the dude why he lost the sale. He essentially told me he makes enough on the suckers to more than make up the loss of my business. Nice!
    It seems that there was a price increase that took place across many cars in the Nissan lineup (Sentra being one of them) in April of this year. Does anyone have those historical prices they can post for the Sentra trim lines and options, or otherwise post a link to where to find them? Thanks!
  • maverick9sixmaverick9six Member Posts: 2
    I have an offer to purchase a 2008 Sentra 2.0 S CVT with Convenience package, splash guards, & side moldings for 16,150 (17,150 minus1,000 cash back) and 2.9 financing.
    The price of 16,150.00 does NOT include TTL and there is no trade in.
    Edmunds lists MSRP as 18,870 and 'invoice' as 18,110;
    Is $16,150.00 a good price for the 08 Sentra S CVT w/ convenience pkg?
    :confuse:
  • marlenelinmarlenelin Member Posts: 87
    My 18 year old daughter totaled out 2000 toyota corolla last week. A friend of a friend has a 2003 Sentra SE with 12,000 miles on it that he wants to sell for $7,000. It belongs to his mom who is now in a nursing home. The condition is good - there are some dings and a scratch on the bumper. My big concern is that it does not have side impact air bags, ABS, and VSC like our corolla had. My other concern is that this car has barely been used, and I know my daughter will be putting alot of mileage on it going back and forth to college. Any advice on whether you think this is a reasonable alternative to a new car (which I'm sure she will use as a second closet and trash) would be appreciated. Thanks Marlene
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Should have the 2 airbags in front, as I had a 2003 Sentra until '06. For that price, can't go wrong actually. How much of a settlement check did y'all get from the insurance company? Hopefully almost that much and beats the price of a new car now, as the econoboxes are in quite high demand now with the price of petrol. If I was her, I'd snag this car and use it for a few years until the world situation settles down a bit. Didn't the SE version have the larger tire/wheel combination also? If it does have the 16" shoes, it'll definitely handle better than the 15 inchers. Looks to be a good deal whatever.

The Sandman :)
    Does this vary by state or county? For example, the $1,500 current factory incentive, is that taken off before hitting it with sales tax, or after sales tax? Thanks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    It varies, but in most states the amount is taxed before the rebate is deducted..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• maverick9sixmaverick9six Member Posts: 2
    Here in Illinois the salesman told me that tax is calculated BEFORE the rebate has been applied.
    Bummer, huh? :cry:
  • gentlestorm2gentlestorm2 Member Posts: 2
    Well i purchased my May 30th. 2008 2.0 S Sentra, it only has CVT, ABS, "hand-painted" stripe, and splash guards with taxes, title, and fees TOTAL at $14,895!! I'm noticing i must have gotten a really good deal. My advice. Wait until the end of the month. My car only had 34 miles on it when i purchased it!
  • dr94087dr94087 Member Posts: 9
    Hi Gentlestorm,

Will you pls let me know the dealer name and location?

Is it CA?

Thanks,
    DR
  • gentlestorm2gentlestorm2 Member Posts: 2
    Boucher Nissan and its in WI...My car doesn't have the fancy stuff like the convenience package. I wish!! So my biggest complaint is that on my key fob there is no trunk release. A 2008 with no trunk release!!!! But still it's pretty good!
    Hey Redstripe,

Yeah, I did all of my negotiating online before I even stepped foot in that dealership. I didn't have a trade in or anything. Even more, it was my first new car purchase! I was really excited about the price I got as well. Really, I would just recommend carbuyingtips.com and everyone's advice on this site to help buy a car. That's what I did. Before I purchased, I just let the salesman know that I was going to begin my negotiations at dealerships from invoice before rebates and work downwards, whoever giving me the best price would win. All in all, it paid off. Let me know if I can ever help out.
    that sounds like a real grate deal I would go for it. it only has 12000 miles on it what color is the car and the interior. Let us no what happens and if you get this car for your daughter thankyou for reading.
  • hmshahhmshah Member Posts: 13
    Hello folks, I am in a process of buying a 2008 Sentra SL (with floor mats, splash gards). MSRP = 19,935. Invoice = 18,628.
    Invoice - 1500 Nissan Rebate = 17,128 + taxes and TTL ,
    Final OTD price = 18,400.
    Do you guys think its a good price or I can negotiate more and come down couple of hundered dollars. You think I can come down to 17,500 or is that too much to ask for?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Also how is the stero system. Is it worth spending 700 dollars for the upgraded stero system or the stock 160W 6 speakers is good enough?
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Drove this on Sunday with the CVT...outstanding power and smoothness but felt the stock stereo sucked...really bad. Definitely try the better unit if possible. Or consider swapping out the speakers and possibly add more power. Added an amp to my Civic and helped it 100% in both power and sound.
    Definitely go with the CVT!!!

The Sandman :)
  • imatinib001imatinib001 Member Posts: 1
    "$15512 OTD for my 2.0 S CVT"

did the 15,112 include the sale tax as well?
    OTD refers to "Out The Door", which implies taxes, title, fees, and license are included in that price.
    $18,000 for 2.0SL (Splash gards, floor mats, spoiler, tints) drive out price. but after listening to $15512 for 2.0s, mine doesn't sound like a good deal :(
    yes you could do a bit bettor on sentria sl maby $16000 out of the door keep us updated on what you do thanks for reading.
    The MSRP of Sentra SL is $18,970 plus taxes, TTL, dealer options. The extras I added was splash gards, floor mats, tint, rear spoiler. Everything combined, the drive out price would be around $21000. My final price was $18000. I might have got a couple of hundered dollars less, but I will probably have to negotiate a lot more. I was shooting for $17500, but it seems like $18000 is not that bad after all. Any other Sentra SL buyers...what did you guys ended up paying??
    I got the exact color combination I wanted, and the car had only 10 miles on it!
    Bought a new 2008 Sentra 2.0s CVT with Convenience Package, splash guards, floor mats with 30 miles at pickup in the middle of June '08 in SF/Silicon Valley area for $16,536.54 OTD.

$18,885.00 MSRP for Sentra 2.0S with convenience package, splash guards, floor mats (including delivery charge)

$17,558.00 Invoice price according to Edmunds and KBB as of 06/2008

$16,900.00 Negotiated Price including delivery
    $55.00 Document fee
    $16,955.00 Price before tax, license and applicable fees
    $1,398.79 Sales tax (Santa Clara county 8.25%)
    $174.00 DMV
    $8.75 Tire
    $18,536.54 Price before incentives
    -$1,500.00 Factory cash incentive rebate
    -$500.00 College grad program rebate
    $16,536.54 Out the Door price

A few additional things to note. Reading this forum, the above price in this situation would often be quoted by posters as $14,900 before TT&L. I think that is a little deceptive because it takes into account the negotiated price after rebates but before taxes. However, I had to pay taxes before rebates were applied, which seems to be how it is in most states because I asked this question in post #187, it's actually more like 16,900 before TT&L and then a 2,000 rebate.

Second, I've noticed that there was an increase in prices in the Sentra (and most other models in the Nissan lineup) vehicles at each trim line but not in the option or packages occurring in April of 2008, and I asked this question in post #183 but have not yet gotten any responses. I think that because of this price change, Edmunds.com shows invoice price of "N/A" when pricing Sentras (at least when using their website in June of 2008) since they haven't confirmed invoice prices. KBB.com seems to have this information though.

Anyways, a lot of the great deals you read a few pages earlier in this forum seem to be from May and they were probably the Sentras on the lot before the April price increase. I found out that the car I bought was ordered and delivered in March of 2008. The price for the Sentra 2.0S CVT base vehicle was $16,860 MSRP/$15,730 invoice at that time (vs $17,070 MSRP/$15,926 invoice post April prices) and delivery charge was $625 (vs $660 post April prices). So technically, I should have listed $18,640 and $17,327 as the MSRP and invoice prices for the particular vehicle.

Furthermore, I have noticed the more recently made Sentras have a short stubby (more like a fin) type of antenna as opposed to the longer whip like antenna (about a foot long). I have not read anything else on this. Does anyone know any further information on this? Is this a way to determine which are the pre-April Sentras and those that are post-April Sentras? Nissan actually currently mixes pictures of both types on the website (probably mistakenly).

Sorry for the long post, but one more comment since I've talked about pricing here. I found out that Nissan has a dealer cash program in June of this year that is called a "Retro Program" that gives dealers cash back from Nissan for selling model year 2008 Sentras. Dealers receive a sales objective for June and they earn $200 if they meet unit volume goals for both the middle of the month and the end of the month. Additionally, they can earn $300 per vehicle if they meet 100-114.9% of the month's unit sales goal or $400 per vehicle if they meet 115% or more of the month's unit sales goal, retroactive to the first Sentra they sold for the month. So that means they can earn up to an additional $600 per vehicle if they hit all the objectives for June. I have not found this information published anywhere else.
    You'd think I run out of stuff to type, but I did want to say that I was very impressed with the Nissan Sentra, much more so than I thought I would be. This purchase is a gift for someone who needed an economical compact sedan that is reliable and safe. When I initially set out to look for vehicles in this class, I thought I would probably be picking between either a Mazda 3 Touring Value Edition or a Honda Civic LX. The day I set out to test drive vehicles, I went to Nissan first only because it was two blocks in front of the Mazda dealership on my route. In fact, I was just going to do a test drive not because I was seriously considering buying it, but because I wanted to establish a baseline experience for the day. The sales person that helped me was very good at explaining all the features and details of the vehicle, and the test drive was very impressive. I was very pleasantly surprised about how much interior space and passenger room the Sentra has and also how smooth, refined and responsive the CVT and engine were, particularly its power and acceleration for a car of this class when carrying the 3 full-sized adults we had on our test drive. I knew going in that the Sentra had the most incentives at the time (at least 1,500 vs 1,000 for the next best offers in the class), and then when I learned that you could get bluetooth and keyless remote entry for not much more, I immediately thought that this car could be a serious contender for purchase.

Real quickly my impressions of the other cars I drove that day. The Mazda 3 Touring VE was a very nice car and the one in my mind I liked most when I started out. I liked the looks and features at the price point, particulalry the 17" alloy wheels (everyone else was 16" steel wheels) and the projector style head lights (all cars should come with these now, especially if you're paying more than 15k for a car, I mean, how much better would the Corolla, Civic and Sentra look - a lot!). Handling was very nice, quite BMW like for the price and considering its FWD. Only car to offer a "manu-matic" transmission, though with only 4 gears, the transmission is not really that impressive. Also, all four wheels had disc brakes which is really nice, and I think all the other competitors had drums in the rear.

Next was the 2009 Corolla, which we really didn't get to test drive as thoroughly as the other cars (only once around the block, no highway time) because of the dealership's asinine policy so I won't comment on ride and handling. On paper, the Corolla is very lackluster, especially given that this is a completely new redsign, this new generation Corolla has come into the competition limping. I mean they carry over the same 1.8 liter engine and 4 speed automatic from the last generation, seriously? And this after the current generation Honda Civic has a 5 speed automatic and a slightly more powerful engine of the same displacement that was introduced almost 3 years ago. I will say this about the experience, Toyota is truly relying on their hard earned reputation to sell their cars, which I guess they can, but their sales and service are horrible, and if continued, will seriously undermine the value of their reputation. I have felt this way for a couple of years now. If they don't improve this aspect of the dealership experience - being the interface between Toyota and the customers - they will eventually lose customers and hurt their reputation in a similar way as the Detroit automakers did in the later part of the last century when they failed to pay attention to quality, details, and innovation. With current production technology and management, Toyota no longer has nearly as large an advantage, if any, on quality and reliability over their competitors, both foreign and domestic. And certainly the value of their cars don't justify the arrogance I have seen from many of the sales people who represent their brand.

Next was the Mitsubishi Lancer, and I really liked the aggressive looks of this car. Now, this is one good looking redesign. I'm sure they could increase sales volumes by 20% if all they did was use projector style headlights. The only thing I felt lacking in this car was the transmission and the fuel economy. Both the Lancer and the Sentra have 2.0 liter engines with CVT. Nissan does it very well. Mitsubishi does not. The Lancer CVT was a bad performing CVT. Nissan got their CVT right. Main take away, not all CVT's are made equally.

And finally, we went to the Honda dealership to test drive a Civic, only to find out that there were no Civics to test drive because they were all sold out and the sales people were losing business because they didn't have the cars to sell to their customers. Apparently, a lot of people in June were trading in their SUV's and other vehicles and particularly liked the Civic. Visit the Civic prices paid forum and you will see some first hand experience about this. It was ok, because I actually test drove a Civic back in February when I was looking to buy a Pilot. At the time, I thought it was nice, handling, engine and transmission felt good, but wasn't particularly impressed with anything. The look of the current model was just ok, but clearly would be helped by using projector style headlights (the ones with the frog-eye lens as Paul Wall has described them). But for being considered the best-in-class car and priced that way, I found the lack of alloy wheels and drum rear brakes and folding rear seats with no split in the LX package to be pathetic. Interior and passenger space was average and what you would expect for the compact car size. But nothing about this car really stood out, and being that there were no cash incentives of any type and current market conditions severely reduced consumer leverage on pricing negotiations, it was an easy decision to not consider the Civic any further. Otherwise, I would be mainly buying it for the Honda Civic reputation for quality, reliability and resale value, which I don't doubt, but I didn't value as worth the $2,000 to $3,000 more than a Nissan Sentra 2.0S.
    hey that is ok I reallly Injoyed reading boath of your Postings. SO you got the 2 point os what color did you get interior and exterior. I like that sand stone co,lor heard to find tho might go with my dad this weekand and Look at one the Sentria is a good car has alwas bin just as good as a sivick or the toyota car. Nissan cars are all just as good just a bit cheeper. so keep on posting the sentrias are selling like hot Cakes thankyou for reading Marco.
  • jaszz88jaszz88 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm new on this forum. I just got an offer from a dealer to buy the Nissan Sentra '08 2.0S for $14000 (after rebate and discount). That price does not include any taxs or fees at all. They told me that they were going to give $1500 Rebate and interest rate around 5%. What do you guys think? Should I take the deal? Thanks
  • 2008honda2008honda Member Posts: 17
    Hey that cool man only if the sentra is CVT
    Same here man
    whats ur OTD
    keep trying that rebate for 1500 is cool until july 31 ;)
    My dealer told me there was only price increse in the Sentra, no other changes. I cannot gurantee his knowledge but he did seemed to konw a lot of things about the car.

Also my friend mistakenly did not completely shut off the gas tank round cap, 2 days later the "service engine soon" light came on. I read the manual and it that's how i figured out the problem. It has been day since I tighten the round cap as it should be, the warning light is still on. Any one familiar with this, how long will it take for the light to turn off after I have closed the cap properly. My car has only 350 miles so i don't think there is any other mechical problem.
    this car is a grate car has bin for years just as good as a honda and toyota and Hundai. anyway about your gass cap good thing that you tightanded it to the way it should be titened it will take 20 tirn offs and start ups you no when you go to drive the car shut it off drive it later on or the next day the ecm will re configure it selfe and the light willl go out. see most peapol go to the dealer just over a loose gass cap and they say this is rong and that is rong with the car and take alot of Hard earned money from Peapol who do not no anything or verry little about cars. do not do that hope I was able to help you out let me no if there is anything elce I can help you out with it thankyou for reading.
  • ike3ike3 Member Posts: 81
    Any word on this yet? This is the 3rd model year coming up for this current version.
    Improvements and other features are updated. Certainly prices are going up. Any dealer have any advance info yet on this? Again, this pertains to the U.S. market.
    Sentra in Canada makes it standard on the 2 upper trim levels, but not on the base
    model, and has been since introduction.