Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Sentra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• sentra08sentra08 Member Posts: 17
    Hey Mark,

Yeah, that is a good deal. I found about the same on the SL but didn't really have a need for the SL. Yeah, definitely don't do an aftermarket sunroof. But given your situation of the moonroof being the one requested feature that your mom would prefer, I would definitely take that offer. Out of curiousity, are you getting that offer from Rosen? Just curious if the dealership I used is competitive on different models too.

They say 16609, I would tell them if they can do 16400, you'd take it and then you both can hopefully settle on 16500 and each feel good about it (16600 is good, but its fun to haggle just a bit). Let me know how it all works out!

(btw igozoomzoom, edmunds is great and all, but it seems as if you can always do better than edmunds invoice pricing (at least on many manufacturers, but not all i hear(ie:scion)). i used carbuyingtips.com to get free advice and it totally helped since this was my first new car purchase)
  • markwarren66markwarren66 Member Posts: 32
    Yes, that is through Rosen Gurnee. I talked to Libertyville which is closer to my house, but they never called me back! I guess they are too busy selling cars...:confuse:
  • marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    That is a verry good deal I would go for it if You want to try to haggle a bit mor go for it. Man that dealer sounds grate keep us all updated on how it all gos thanks so mutch Marco.
  • nsvnsv Member Posts: 4
    I just bough a 2008 nissan sentra 2.0 CVT ( automatic ) with ABS , splash guards and floor mats for USD 16000 out of door ie inclusive of all taxes fees etc . Is this a good deal
  • thaineseguythaineseguy Member Posts: 3
    I'm surprised the Sentra 2.0 does not have ABS. I think that should be standard feature in all new cars so I'm looking for a 2.0 S now.
    Is this a good deal? TIA

2008 Nissan Sentra 2.0 S
    Standard features + $1k worth of add-ons
    - Convenience package: Intelligent Key, Bluetooth, floor mats, etc.
    - Alarm
    - Phantom Footprint (?)

Asking sticker price: $20,750

Adjusted price: $16,856
    Tax + Fees: $1,644
    Rebate: $1,500
    Total: $17,000 OTD

So after rebate and everything, it comes out to be about $15,500 before taxes/fees.
    grate pric I would go for it keep us updated grate car wil last a long time not just saying that thanks have a verry good day Marco
  • chrishallowellchrishallowell Member Posts: 6
    I went to a dealer today and they could only do $17000(invoice) + $1500 rebate = $15,500. That was my second time there. Should I go back a third time or will that really put me in a disadvantage?

I don't want the extras ($352 invoice). Would it be ok to insist that they remove them? Can/Will/Do dealers take this extra stuff off? How easy is it to have them do it?

I'm thinking I should start with 14500 and except 15000. Does that sound unreasonable? Shouldn't they be trying hard to get rid of the 2008?

Thanks for any comments.
    Thx marco. I went ahead and bought it since we needed a car asap. I appreciate your opinion.
    I got mine $17000 OTD (with tax, fees, rebate, everything). I'm sure you can do better if you try. Mine came with a factory installed packages (convenience package, matts, etc). If it's dealer installed they can easily take it off and you can push down the price. If it gets to them with the extra packages, I don't think they can do anything about that.

Hope that helps.
  • markwarren66markwarren66 Member Posts: 32
    Sorry, I haven't followed up. Rosen Gurnee ended up being a con job :) All of a sudden, they couldn't locate the car I put a deposit on....

So long story short, I ended up getting a car in the south suburbs. That dealer was a PITA as well, but my Mom has a car and is happy.

Car dealerships have not evolved in the past 50 years. Many of them still play the same stupid games.

Ok, I'm done. Thanks for the advice on the board.
    Thanks thaineseguy. How does that 17000 break out? $150 doc fees, $1500 rebate, $90 for TTL, and $1000 for taxes?
    Mark,
    That is ridiculous. Sorry to hear that. I got a great deal from them. But I can't imagine putting a deposit on a car, only to arrive and find out they were messing with you. I would be equally as angry, no doubt.
    Take care
    Why are dealers selling these cars way below invoice?
    Is it because they are 2008s? My dealers said the 09s aren't coming in for 2 more months.

Is it because demand is down for these?

Are they getting extra kickbacks(besides the 2%) or factory-to-dealer incentives?
    i'm not sure, it can't really be because of that because I got mine in May for way below invoice even before my factor to consumer rebate. good question though. wish i knew.
  • jw08jw08 Member Posts: 4
    New on the forums ... please excuse me if i make a mistake.

Have read through a lot of the information here and you guys have been very helpful so far. We have decided on the car that we want - now its time to get the deal.

I'm in the Tulsa Area and am looking for a new Sentra.

Must Have's - CVT - Keyless entry/ignition - Air Conditioner
    Would like's - ABS - Divide'n'Hide
    Color - Not red.

Other than that i'm easy.

So i'm thinking to get lowest price with those features i would be looking at a 2.0S with Convenience Plus Package .... sounds about right ?

If i can pick up a great deal on a 2.0SL i'll take that too ..

I wanted to post here as this will be the first NEW car that i have bought - so i wanted to report my progress so that you guys can point out any mistakes that you may see me making.

We have already been in touch with two of the three dealers here in the Tulsa Area ... we are going to make contact with the third on Monday ... should i also make contact with other dealers within driving distance ? (I don't mind making the drive if they can get me a deal)

Would you guys advise that i just tell them that this is what i am looking for .. let them know that they are competing with each other and let them know that the best price will get the sale ?

(We also have a trade-in .. one dealer has offered us $5500 so far - another just $4000 .. so i'm guessing i would tell them that whoever can give me the best overall price including the trade-in will be the one i go with .. or should i not even include the trade-in with the negotiations?)

Thanks guys.

Jw
    Just wanted to report back what I got...
    Bought a 2008 Sentra 2.0S CVT with splash guards, body-color side moldings and mats.

$16682 price of car (Including destination charge)
    -$1500 customer rebate
    +$1043 county tax (6.25%)
    +$250 documentation fee
    +$25 tags and license transfer
    =$16500 OTD

Invoice was $17200 including destination charges.
    MSRP was $18320 including destination charges.
    I used Capital One online blank check and got 5.49%
    Just want to share with everyone what I experienced...
    1. "Internet specials" all quoted the invoice price and wouldn't go below that unless we went to the dealership and haggled.

2. About 80% of the time we got a "new salesman." Every dealer said the car we wanted was hot and selling like crazy.

3. It was fun to walk into a dealership(Hyundai in North Olmstead, OH) and test drive an '08 Elantra. Then sit at the salesman's desk and listen to him offer a one-time deal of MSRP+$800! (I countered with an invoice-$3000. The poor salesman looked like he saw a ghost. I caught him off guard.)

4. I eventually found a dealership(Middleburg, OH) and bought the car from Mike, a 30+ year veteran. Highly recommend their dealership on the west side of Cleveland, OH.

According to everyone elses price on this forum, I got screwed but I could hardly get dealers to go below invoice. I went to 3 around here and every one of them laughed me out the door when I asked for $1000 below invoice. Anyway, I'm satisfied with how it all went and I am enjoying my new car.

Thanks for everyone who shared their prices/experiences.
  • love_luvlove_luv Member Posts: 13
    Where did you bought it from?

I have Friends discoutn from Nissan.. I am paying more for using discount than buying car without discount. How is that possible?

Discount is on Dealer invoice. Can someone tell me what is the Dealer invoice for Nissan Sentra 2.0S AT in NJ.
    I bought it from the Nissan Dealer in Middleburg Heights, OH (West side of Cleveland).

I guess dealers are greedy and they want to make money, even off their friends.

GM had the Employee discount going on and I test drove 2 of their cars. They said they couldn't go 1 penny below that Employee discount because it was GM's rule. I don't believe that (Sounds too simple and easy); but either way, that discount was above or at invoice. That doesn't seem like a good deal to me.
  • jw08jw08 Member Posts: 4
    Well - i ended up with a Sentra S with Conv package, Splash guards, CVT and floor mats for divide'n'hide.

MSRP = 19020

First offer to me was $18,800 - $1000 cash back - $4000 for my trade-in. + 3.9% financing = 13,800 being financed

I countered with $5500 trade-in $1000 cash back +$17,800 for the car .. total financed = $11,300.

After several hours back and forth and after me leaving showroom to go and "give another dealer a chance to do this deal " they had already moved to within $550 of my target price.

They called me just ten mins after i had left and asked me to come back in ... so we swung by there on our way back home and they offered $5500 trade in, $1000 cash back, $18000 for car = total financed $11,500. + 3.9% for 60 months.

that was close enough for me ..

they had moved in my direction by $2300 .. i felt it only fair that I should move by $200 to seal the deal. (I would have been prepared to finance $12000 if they had really pushed me .. so i was happy)

I'm sure at that price they did make a buck or three ... but i felt like i got a decent deal too .. and at the end of the day - that's what negotiation is all about ... if both sides feel that they got a deal and both can walk away happy ... it is a win-win for everyone.

Finance guy tried to push a $600 scotch-guard protection, a Gap insurance policy, a maintenance plan and an extended warranty as well as "life insurance" type policy which would pay off the car should anything happen to either of us ... that little lot would have taken our payments from $211 per month to $270 per month ... (and would have added an extra $3000 to the sales price) so we politely turned down everything he offered and we were back home with a new car within the hour.

Had the car a couple of days now and am so far VERY happy.

:)
    Bought Nissan Sentra 2.0S OTD 16550 including front mats + trunk mat + Body color side molding, free oil change with first service, free tires for life, free loaner car.

Thanks.......
    nice that is a verry good Price. I am shore you will be real happy with this car. Nissan makes grate cars and most of the time the last a real long time not just saying that all is true thanks for reading and good luck Marco
    Question.... Does your Nissan Sentra 2.0S says "2.0S" on the trunk? My Sentra only says "Sentra" on the left hand side of the trunk. No "2.0S".

However Window sticker says 2.0S. Is this common?

Thanks
  • nsvnsv Member Posts: 4
    Is this an outomatic with convenience package as well. This is a great deal any ways
    yes, it is common. my 2.0S only says "Sentra" as well. In 2007, they had 2.0s and 2.0, etc on the back, but in 2008, they switched to only putting the trim type on the back for the SL. but yeah, i was initial curious as well.
    its an 2008 Nissan Sentra 2.0 S with Body Side Moulding + Front & Cargo Mets.

No convenience package.

Do you know why truck doesn't say "Nissan Sentra 2.0S" and just says "Nissan Sentra".... just curious.... as I have seen some sentra saying 2.0S
    yeah, like i was saying, that is a 2007 you are seeing. 2008 models only have the trim type on the SL, the S does not, nor does just the 2.0.
  • jewels8jewels8 Member Posts: 10
    I am not as happy with my new buying experience with the Nissan Sentra. Bought the car in June 08, have taken car back to the dealer 5 times for a number of reasons: Window rubber molding in rear came loose, 1st week of ownership; misleading sticker which stated remote trunk release with open trunk pic on remote, not "included" in my model; was hesitating on starting, had to have a major part changed; speaker/amp system goes in and out. Actually had service mgr ride with me, said it was the song (never taking responsibility due to the fact that car is brand new, in fact, 1st time they told me it was my imagination!!) when I know it does it happens constantly on many, many songs and continues to do so. I also own a 06 Honda Civic, never had a problem with audio and drove it for 2 yrs before buying this one so I could tell the difference. Took it to a car audio shop, said that the system they put in the Sentras is cheap, so now I will have to spend $500 to upgrade. Nissan not addressing any of my concerns, only the part that had to be changed since the car had less than 1500 on it and they had no choice due to warranty. So needless to say, I wished I had chosen a different vehicle, and this has ruined my new car buying experience. Happy for those of you who are not experiencing what I am.
    I no this is not the rite place you posted this message but every car make has a lemin every now and then. that part they replaced for you was a recall think and keep on top of the dealer to fix the rest of the stuff might be a bad seekker and did they fix the molding try a nother dealer good nissan dealers out there good luck keep us updathed thanks marco
    Thanks, I guess that's why no responses received. I just like to let people know the real story. Don't worry, I will keep on top of all the issues/repairs and go straight to Nissan, this car will be under warranty for a while, it only has 2200 miles on it. I have a Honda Civic that I drive as well, putting low miles on Sentra just in case I decide to sell earlier instead of later or can get a buy back (ha, ha!). Actually, I really do like appearance of the car, both outside & inside, and the way it drives, I had a Sentra years ago. No problems with that one, or my 06 Civic. Dealer fixed all except audio, I was told to try another dealership for that. I may just upgrade on my own since I was told system is not very good (from 2 car audio sound stores), even though I have never had to do this on any vehicle. I will keep you updated. BTW, where should I have posted this msg?
    I recently bought 2008 Nissan Sentra 2008 2.0S OTD for 16500 in NJ.

I was wondering if I was able to save some more via AAA member price or Costco Member price?

Thanks.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Why ask after you bought the car? It's yours now so don't worry about how much, if any, you left on the table. Just enjoy your car...it's a done deal.

The Sandman :)
    I am know I have paid for it and can't turn the tables around. I am asking because I am curious. Its now going to bother me, but next time I will be more careful and consider all the other option I have.

As I said my OTD is 16500 for 2008 Nisaan Sentra 2.0S.

Will appreciate if some one can answer.

Thanks
    i'm not sure if any company price will beat effective haggling and internet pricing and matching between various dealerships. look through some old posts and see what others, such as myself, have paid, and how we went about getting those prices. don't let anything bother you that you no longer have control over, i'm sure you did just fine. what options did you get, spash guards and body-color side moldings? anything else? what is your tax %? any other fees that you paid? can you provide a complete price breakdown for us? i think that will give everyone a better idea of what kind of value you got. without that info, it is really tough to provide a quality comparison.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a national newspaper would like to speak to consumers who recently purchased a new small or mid-sized car and either got great financing or cash back/incentives offered to them . If this is you, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime phone number by Wednesday, October 8, 2008.
    When I purchased Nissan it had 1500$ cash back.
    I am in NJ paid 7% tax
    Paid 199 or 299 for Doc fee
    Registration + title is about 240$
    Tire fee 7.5$

I think thats it

As far as the options: I got splash guard, trunk mat + floor mats + body color side molding
    Hey Jules8 no problem any time love helping peapol out. thanks for shairing your storry with everyone. SO You wher saying in your message back to me the dealer fixed the molding and did the recall for the starting problem. was it the air flow meator sum thing to do with that I red. SO this is a grate car drives good nice inside and nice outside I have bin in one loved it. good thing you got a 2008 it is the secand year of this moddle run since the re dizined it. they alwas say you never bye the first year of a new year car that is beeing Loanched for the first time or the first moddle year of a Re dizine for this jeneration sentria it was 2007 So what color car do you have what is the interior color what moddle and what options does your sentria have. so you are good. SO you have a sivick also that is good so you wont put menny miles on this car or the sivick. SO what year is the sivick. 2 or 4 door. Did you ever think of getting the extended worantee on this car it is a bumper to bumper worantee for 6 years or 75000 Miles. the most inportant thing the Power trane is cuvvered for 6 years or 60000 Miles so that is grate. If you want you can also get the extendad worantee on the power trane for 7 years or 100000 miles. I am not shore about prices in my appinioian I would feal mor peas of mind dooing that would have to shop around for those maby nissan offers one extended worantee to cuvver boath not shore. to answer your questian on the radieo what moddle of sentria did you get. and did you get the upgraded autieo System think it is a boos system with beettor spekers if not that is your Problem all car makes have this problem so dont worry about. it get a new system when you can and want to. would not trust the audieo shops they just want to make munny and will tell you anything just to make a quick buck. Most peapol would just put in a new system they have no commen sence and are not to brite when it cumes to cars every problem you name it see it every day on car Space and on edmans.com. whenn it is all the same sight. HOpe I was able to help you out keep me updated if you want to take this off this bord you can send an email to my car space acount with your email thanks for reading hope I was able to help yoyu out have a verry good day and thanks for reading Marco.
  • calc555calc555 Member Posts: 5
    I just wanted to comment on the speaker/amp going in and out. I noticed that when I try to listen to music with the volume up iwithin the last three or four digits of the loudest setting it will "clip" causing the music to sound much softer for a while. I believe this is Nissan's attempt to not overdrive the somewhat cheap speakers in the car. It makes me wish I had gotten the better stereo. The stereo is the only option I didn't get in my 08 SE-R.

I have the seat issue were it feels like it's moving a little when I stress it when the car turns and such; sorta like it might be missing a grommet or one of the connections isn't tight enough. I only weight 160lbs so it isn't like that should be too much for it to handle. I read this is a common problem.

I can now smell antifreeze every time I get out of the car. I hope its just a hose or fitting and not the radiator or water pump. I will be taking it in for them to have a look shortly.

Despite these small things I do love this car. The SE-R version has quite a bit more pep and I still get good mileage. It is the perfect mix of sport and practicality.
    Thank you Marco, for your response. I have the 08 Silver 4 door 2.0 Sentra. Yes I do have a Civic as well, 06, 2 door Royal Blue. No, I did not know about upgraded Bose system, so I now must upgrade on my own (getting a Kenwood amp and 2 speakers this weekend) because the standard system is not good at all. At least not to my liking, anyway, since I have the Civic to compare sound to. Also had a 4 door Civic prior to this one as well, never an issue w/either of those cars. I will be getting a good deal on upgrading , and I am not taking out the factory radio. I shopped around a little and you are right, some audio shops were very high. I got an independent guy who has been in the audio biz for awhile, does it on his off days from the shop he works at, for about 1/2 the price of quotes I got. Send me your car space or email account so I can keep you posted. BTW, today, when I lock my car, the horn stopped beeping so now I need to try and figure out why that is happening!!
    Thanks for your response. That's what mine does, too, I'm glad you noticed the sound issue as well. Dealership acted as if it were just me or the "songs". I knew it wasn't, but I got tired of trying to show them the issue, so I am spending my own money to upgrade the amp and speakers. They wouldn't do anything about it anyway so why bother? I agree about still liking the car despite the issues, but I could do without the added expense and aggravation, and makes me second guess my decision a little. Also spoils the new car buying experience when things such as these happen so early on in ownership.
    Hey JUles8 thanks for responding to my message. I think it is the same as my name I am using on hear to respond to you it is Marcogallo1986 if not have to figger out what it is have never used it before. Hear is an email adress I use only for carspace it is Marcogallo1986@yahoo.com. SO glad to hear yo7u found a grate price on a set of speakers and an amp nice and you are leaving the stock radio intact nice. Yea the sivick is a grate car to and the horne stoped working does it work inside the car when you push it on the stearing wheale let me no contact me threw email hope I was able to answer all of your questians talk later on and thanks for reading Marco.
  • vinnie9vinnie9 Member Posts: 3
    I have got several quote recently,
    Nissan sentra 2.0S 2008, auto, with ABS, MAT and Splash Guards and molding.
    The dealer said that the price is around 14900. And OTD price is around 16300.
    Is this a good price?
    How much I should expect to get down to get the car?
  • corkscrewcorkscrew Member Posts: 254
    Our daughter recently purchased the same auto in upper fairfield county Ct for:

msrp 18170
    less $1250 rebate
    less $1000 dealer incentive
    plus $229 doccument fee
    plus 3% NC tax ( she doesn't live here, just visiting )
    registration fees unknown, she was issued "in transit" plate to get her back home.

Regards,
    Corkscrew
    Now I have called around 10 dealers nearby.
    And I have got the best price is 14400 and 14500, Sentra 08 s, with ABS and floor mat and splash guards something like that.
    Is is a good price? Can I expect the OTD price under 15500?
    I am worried about that in December, these deals will be gone
    Thanks really a great price. Ask them for Registration + Doc fee + any other charges. Calculate tax and you can see your OTD price. I bought my Sentra 2.0S in NJ about month and half ago and my OTD was 16480.

I would say take it, its a very good deal.

Where are you located?
    DULUTH MN

When I sent the email to ask about the quote, they usually give me the quote around 14900.

And when I called them i get some quotes which are much better. But they refused to give me the same quote through email.

Is there any trick?
  • bryanliebryanlie Member Posts: 3
    I also got some quote from dealers by email, next I would call them. If they can make it around 15500 then I will jump in. The best internet quote right now is 16,120.77 OTD for 2008 Sentra 2.0 S.
    hold off for a little bit you will get that 14000 dolor price emaiol menny dealers also keep us updated on what you end up dooing. Nissan makes grate cars thanks for reading Marco.
  • plashenickplashenick Member Posts: 165
    2008 2.0s (CVT) with Convenience Pkg and Floor/Trunk mats. With rebate (1,500) I paid $15,600, Plus title/tax (7% NJ), Doc fee (195?) and the ubiquitous Prep Fee.

I added a remote starter (after market) for $495.
  • sridharhssridharhs Member Posts: 14
    My best offer on hand for a 2008 2.0 S CVT with Convenience Plus pkg, floor mats and splash guards is $14800 + TTL (after taking into account all charges and rebates). OTD is around $15960. Location is Dallas, TX.

From what I have seen so far, seems like a decent deal. Any comments? Anyone seen a better offer?