Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Sentra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

12345679»

Comments

• amickeyamickey Member Posts: 25
    edited July 2012
    Lat day of sales quarter- 2012 2.0 BASE Auto with power everything.
    $16.9k OTD
    MSRSP was $18.5k

8.7% off MSRP OTD = good deal.
  • onecar1onecar1 Member Posts: 4
    $14600 after $2500 rebate during 4th of July weekend. I also bought 2012 SR with special edition pack for $15500 after $2000 ($500 bonus and $500 college grad) rebate 4th of July weekend. I took advantage of the $500 bonus for the 4th of July.

In 2011 I bought a sentra s with convenience package floor mats and splash guards for $13389 after $3000 rebate ($500 college grad+$500 bonus holiday + $1500 cash back + $500 nissan captive cash for finance).
  • miamifan1miamifan1 Member Posts: 6
    My new CVT Sentra SR Special Edition: I traded in a Scion XB which had negative equity of $2,000. The MSRP was $20,300 for the Nissan. I paid OTD $18,500. This price includes the Scion negative equity and PA sales tax and tags/title/docs.

It comes out to $16,000 for my $20,300 Sentra. And this is a deal my dealer offered me, without any haggling. When I went to another Nissan dealer to try and improve the deal, they didn't want any part of it. So I bought the car.

Mileage is lackluster at 25mpg (my best is a 29mpg tank on the highway with cruise set @ 68mph and my worst has been 22mpg almost all city driving), and the CVT and gutless engine are soul-less. Also, the AC is weaksauce and the stereo sounds pretty lame. And finally, the interior plastics and fit/finish are subpar compared to the Cruze, Mazda3, Focus, and even the Subaru.

The positives outweigh the negatives, in my book: the car is very quiet and smooth-riding, it looks good with all the spoilers and sunroof, it's very spacious compared to rivals, for such a cheap purchase it has a every convenience you could ever need (great navi with traffic, bluetooth, keyless go, foglights, the aforementioned sunroof), the seats are 5-hour comfortable, and I know resale is good on this car.

At the end of the day, no matter what poor fuel consumption it gets, the cheap price will always trump other more efficient cars. I'm very happy with my car.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Is this the 2.0 engine? If so, I am very surprised you are getting only 29 mpg @ 68 mph on cruise. At that speed on a long freeway trip, my 2.0 CVT (2010) can touch 40 mpg w/o AC and upper 30s with AC. In fact, that mpg you are getting is so sub-par you might have the dealer look at the car, something might be wrong.
    I hear what you say about the mileage I'm getting vs what you are seeing. I can't even imagine how you are able to accomplish 40mpg. Seems far-fetched to me. Are you actually calculating @ the pump? Or just going by the computer reading? I calculate @ pump.

What do I tell the dealer regarding poor fuel economy? How do I prove this so they fix it? What can they even fix, in order to improve mileage?
    When I calculate at the pump the results are very close to the computer mpg on long trips.

I just took another trip in my Sentra a week ago, about 200 miles, and got 43 mpg outbound (with the wind, no AC, more downgrades than upgrades) and 37 mpg on the return (against the wind, AC on, more upgrades than downgrades). I kept freeway speed under 70, usually around 67-68.

What I recommend you do is take a test trip with as few variables as possible. Map out a highway course that has a limit no more than 65 mph, and stay to the limit. It should be at least 10 miles one way, but longer the better. Set tire pressures to factory spec, top off the tank to first click at slowest setting at the start of the trip, get on the freeway, reset the average mpg, drive out and back at same speed (again, at the speed limit, 65 or less), use no AC if possible, use cruise unless you are skilled at driving with a light foot. Then return to the same gas station, same pump, and refill to first click on slowest setting. Also check the average mpg readout. If it is as low as you said earlier, document those results e.g. take a picture of the avg mpg readout and save your gas receipt, document the details of your test trip, and go to your dealer and ask to talk with the service manager.

There are some things that can affect FE such as a bad sensor, previous use of bad gas etc., but you should be getting a warning light for that kind of thing. The bottom line is, you should be getting much higher FE in this car than you are, given what you stated about how you drive it.
    I'm headed to Baltimore soon, from Phiadelphia. I'm gonna follow your suggested 'test': fill tank w/regular, reset mpg computer (I typically check average mph as well), and stick the cruise @ 68mph. Additionally, I will refill before city driving occurs, in order to eliminate that variable.

Let's see what I achieve, and will post my results here.
    OK, let us know.

Another "trick" I've found helps get max FE on my Sentra (maybe in general): keep an eye on the instantaneous mpg meter as you cruise on the highway (cruise NOT on). I've found that even slight variations in gas pedal pressure make a significant difference in mpg, and I can see the effects of that on the instantaneous meter. In general, the lighter the pedal pressure, the higher the mpg, but it surprised me that what I thought was light pressure was not light enough for max FE. Using that approach, I've achieved my highest mpg results with the Sentra.

Maybe more effort than it's worth, and it's possible to overachieve the EPA highway ratings just by setting the cruise control (at reasonable speed, e.g. 70 or less), but thought I'd pass it on. At the least, you might switch to the instantaneous mpg readout on your Baltimore trip and see what kind of mpg you are getting along the way.
    I'm posting in the fuel economy thread.
  • zhenlong2012zhenlong2012 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought my Sentra 2012 with trim 2.0S. The OTD price is 15.4K. I live in Virginia.
    Is this a good deal?
  • larryr1larryr1 Member Posts: 2
    Can you Share what the price of the car was before Tax, tags, & Lic? Also what options you had. Thanks, Larry
  • larryr1larryr1 Member Posts: 2
    Need to buy a car for my daughter this week. Looking at Sentra S Auto with conv package, splashguards, & mats only. I live in MARYLAND. What pricing have you seen before adding TTL? I think there are other "hidden" incentives to move these cars that the dealers have because of the 2013's coming in. Thanks.
  • rtraveler1rtraveler1 Member Posts: 4
    Paid $17,500 OTD in PA. I was able to get $750 below invoice plus $1,000 in rebate and an additional $500 in rebate if I financed through Nissan.
  • droptopsolaradroptopsolara Member Posts: 19
    Hi I am in CT looking for a new Sentra SL 2012

Sticker I believe is 22710
    Special Value Package ($990)
    Power Sliding Glass Moonroof w/Tilt Feature
    Dual Illuminated Visor Vanity Mirrors
    Cargo Net & Hooks
    Navigation System w/5" Color Touch-Screen Display
    XM NavTraffic
    Rearview Monitor
    Leather Package ($900)
    Heated Front Seats

Looking for best price out the door - CT tax is 6.35%
    currently 20,400 but thinking it s/b better as the 2013 's are here and there are some 2012's still around.
    this includes 120k Mile warranty
  • hfzeushfzeus Member Posts: 39
    I'm in the process of getting quotes on this car in the NY tri-state area. Just started this afternoon, but so far (just 5 quotes with many more to go), I'm at slightly under invoice before the $500 Nissan financing incentive.
    I do not mind looking much further away. The last car I bought came from MD to NY. I only had to pay $250 and saved thousands compared to local dealers.
    Anyone know of aggressive dealers for these cars?
  • musicitytigermusicitytiger Member Posts: 10
    Sounds like you got a pretty good deal, to get leather for $18K is pretty impressive.

If you are willing to dig, there are some great deals out there. Anderson Nissan sold a 13 SL for $16,720 (price was reported at voiceofthedriver.com)
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    A 13 SL for under $17k...that's excellent! This car is a real nice looking vehicle and the interior is very classy. I just wonder how it drives because if it compares favorably to the Elantra, Nissan has a winner on it's hands. I've driven several new Elantra's and Foci the last few weeks and both drive very smoothly thought I still think the Focus is a tick behind in most categories...a great ride but still out classed by the Hyundai. If the Nissan can best these two, then Nissan will sell a ton of 'em. The resemblance to the Altima can only help sales ans I personally love the clean lines of the cars. A lot of excitement in the compact segment as of late with the new Forte here and the re-introduced '13 Civic a major improvement over the lackluster '12 offering. There's a lot of buzz about the new Corolla, still a popular model though I just can't figure it out. Drove a couple last week and the only thing I liked was the supportive drivers seat...everything else screams old tech...even the Entunes unit seemed like an after thought. Seriously, the new Corolla has to be a home run for Toyota as the Camry as good as it is, is still a snoozewmobile with as much excitement as a new refrigerator!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• kle1kle1 Member Posts: 8
    Bought a 2013 Sentra SL with the only option being CF (carpeted floor and trunk mat) in SoCal for $18,433 + 1000 NMAC rebate and 0% for 36 months. Essentially 17,433 + TTL for a grand total of 19,400 OTD.
    That seems like a great price. the SL has leather, correct? What color did y'all get? If my Civic didn't have such low mmiles for a '06 model, I'd seriously consider this new Sentra along with the Elantra. Would be a very tough choice indeed!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• bigbadquestbigbadquest Member Posts: 3
    Also in socal...would like to know where you purchased your car?
    Test drove this car today and was very impressed! Very composed and stable smooth ride and the new CVT tranny is pretty slick actually, plenty of power for whatever I threw at it. Was the basic model and the MSRP was about $20,500 and this car had the bolt on wheel covers. Sat in a SL in the showroom with the upgraded cloth seating surfaces and it had navi and a sunroof and the sticker showed $22,500...and this was without leather which I thought was standard SL fare...I learned something new today, leather is an option also. Car drives like it's mid sized brother, the Altima and not like an economy car which is a good thing. Even the SV trunk lid had a cover over the metal, a very nice touch really. Little stuff like this just shows me attention to detail which is important. Nissan did a stellar job here and I'd rate this car to be as good, if not better than the benchmark of the economy class, the Hyundai Elantra. I predict that Nissan will sell a boatload of these cars and though I haven't driven the redone 2013 Honda Civic, I'm betting that this Sentra to be the better car in every category folks...I really like this car. Good job Nissan!!!

• kle1kle1 Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2013
    The SL does not come with leather. Leather is an option. I bought the graphite blue with marble gray interior. The car was purchased as a present for my mom and she was completely ecstatic when she saw it. From the outside looking in, the car definitely looks like it's worth more than 20k.

I took the car on a road trip right after purchasing it and it is surprisingly quiet. The fuel economy was also very impressive. We had five adults in the car and cruising at 80mph, the mpg indicated 35 mpg. When I dropped it to about 70mph, it was about 38 mpg.

Car was purchased from Stadium Nissan via their Internet department. I found the car on Nissan's inventory site and and used the site to request a quote from Stadium Nissan.
    Makes sense that leather is an option on these. I was very impressed with this car, so much so that I might just replace my beloved '06 Civic LX with one when the time comes. I really wanted to get the Elantra but now am not so sure. I'm a few years out from my next, and last, purchase as I'd like to get in year 4 when the refresh is done. 2014 is when the Elantra should have theirs and 2016 is the Sentra's if history is any indication.

Good to hear that the mileage is so good on such a new car with the amount of weight y'all had in it...extremely impressive I'd say. And I do like the "mini Altima" looks of the Sentra. But what impressed me the most was the relative quietness of the cabin at speed...this is a good indication that good sound insulation products were used which to me is important. My Civic is a bit on the noisy side, my only real complaint so far. The Sentra was whisper quiet and I really want that in my next vehicle. It also drove like a bigger car, very controlled and smooth and with someone like me with severe spinal issues, this is something I look for in any vehicle I tend to purchase. I truly now like this car better than the Elantra and I've been a big Elantra fan since day 1!

Congrats on your purchase and I like the color you got. As for me, I want the Amethyst Gray with the Charcoal cloth...absolutely gorgeous!

The lease on my 2010 Sentra 2.0S is up in July, and I got an email from the dealership where I leased it offering me a special deal on a new lease if I did it this month. Basically they offered a special rebate plus forgiveness of up to 4 payments... which is not too relevant in that I'd still be sending payments to Nissan! Anyway, I asked them about it just to see what they could do. After some back-and-forth, they agreed to almost exactly the deal I got on my 2010 Sentra, but this time on the Sentra SV which has a bit more equipment than my S. They said they could do $180 a month with only first payment up front. The deal on my 2010 was $179/month with first payment up front, plus 3 years ago they tossed in a free Garmin nav system and a free portable DVD player. I'd have to pull the trigger this month.

Although I think it's a good deal, I've decided to pass because I really want a hatch for my next car. Also the 2010 has only 24k miles on it now, so I plan to buy it at end of lease and either let my daughter use it for her school car or trade it in on my hatch (and get my daughter another used car). And no, the Versa is not under consideration for the hatch, especially the current one. I'm looking one notch up from the Versa, e.g. Mazda3 or Golf or Elantra GT.
    Understand your reasoning for a hatch completely but the new Sentra is such a different and better car it's amazing. Have you gone for a test drive yet? I would just too make positively sure that you are indeed making the right decision. It would only be a few hours out of your day but it might just be the right move for you & the family. Why pass up an opportunity like this? You go, you don't like, you go with the original plan. But it might just happen that you really really like the new Sentra...what then? G-d is giving you an opportunity here just to make sure that your original plan is the best one for y'all. Personally, I went and was very impressed. If I had the money I'm due soon in the bank account and if they had given me a great offer on the Civic, i might have a new car right now. But in my case, all the variables were not in place.

I'm just sayin' to go test drive it and listen to their pitch. One never knows Backy...one never knows what could happen here!

Yes, I took an SV for a drive awhile back and posted my review in the 2013 Sentra discussion. I think it's a fine little car (actually not so little any more), improved in most areas from the prior generation, but not very fun to drive at all with the lower power for 2013 and the fun-sapping CVT. Has a nicely trimmed interior for a low-end car, big trunk, and very good fuel economy. But I can get a bigger cargo area in a hatch, very good fuel economy with something like a Mazda3 Skyactiv or Elantra GT, and most of all a car that's a LOT more fun to drive than the Sentra. I've driven the Mazda3, Elantra GT, and Golf (and many others) and all of them are way ahead of the Sentra in FTD, especially since I can get all of those equipped the way I want with a stick (6-speed on Mazda3 and ElantraGT). And the new Forte5 is due out soon and looks fantastic.

Last time around I was looking for a comfortable, economical, reliable small car with as little out of pocket and as low a payment as possible. The 2010 Sentra 2.0S has performed that mission to the T. But it's an appliance, just as the 2013 Sentra is. A very nice appliance, but an appliance. This time I'm looking for a long-term car, e.g. something I plan to live with for 10+ years. And it will never be handed down to a child, that's done with after my daughter gets her car, so I can get exactly what I want, e.g. a stick. So FTD is high on the list, as well as a hatchback for versatility. Plus I think about the fact that I can get a nice little hatch like the Elantra GT with the 6MT and lots of standard features like heated seats, alloys, fogs, and iPod interface for about the same money as the Sentra SV--but the SV has none of those features, at least not standard.

So there won't be a new Sentra in my garage after the lease is done on the current car.
    Understand. the Elantra GT is a real sleeper in this market and I saw one in red last week...awesome! I was very impressed with the Sentra though, a mini Altima to my mind. I also plan to check out the Elantra GT when I buy next time also as it'll possibly be my last vehicle purchase. I do like a hatch also but they do tend to develop more squeaks and rattles than a sedan. Not sure I'd want another Mazda3 for me though as the mileage isn't that great. Time will tell as I won't be in the market till at least 2016 or later so lots will probably change by then.

• rajarajarajaraja Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Test drove Sentra SV with few added options (mats, splash guards, kick plates) over the memorial day weekend - Total MSRP is 19700.

Negotiated with dealer to sell this for $16000 OTD (with all rebates and incentives taken out) with 0% for 36 months with (4 k down). Is this a good deal or any suggestions? Please post
  • arunvarunv Member Posts: 1
    Hello Rajaraja,
    Seems like a good deal. Can you mention the dealer name and location. Thanks.
  • actechactech Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a 2013 Sentra S auto for my mom yesterday. Went in with her saw the color she wanted, and got the base with only options being carpeted floor mats and splash guards. MSRP 17,710 got it for 15,400 + TTL for out the dor at 17,200 Wanted to pay cash but financed at 0 % in order to get $1,000 rebate. We are in So Cal. A lot of features for the money. Dealer showed me paperwork that they sell through Costco for 15,700, but was able to get them to drop the price $300. Could have certainly got the car for less, but mom was happy with the price.
  • 00jp4700jp47 Member Posts: 3
    Hi actech I will like to know if the sentra s you bought was for the manual or automatic transmission. If you will let me know at what dealer you got this great price. Thank you
  • actechactech Member Posts: 3
    I got the automatic from South Bay Nissan, (auto nation), Rosecrans exit of the 405. You should be able to get a better price. Gave me the story he had to talk to the general manager to get the price. They have a lot of cars. Please let me know how you do.
  • coupon_terricoupon_terri Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2013
    I am in desperate need of a car. I am looking at the 2013 Sentra S (automatic). Does anyone know if you can actually purchase a car online and go pick it up? Does anyone know the invoice price for this car in Southern California (San Bernardino or Los Angeles area?). I tried looking on the internet and its driving me crazy trying to find the invoice price. I am a woman and I am terrified of making a mistake on buying a car right now. My very first car purchase was a disaster. Thanks in advance.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Click on "New Cars" at the top left hand corner of the page, then choose Nissan, then Sentra, etc... .and it will take you right to the invoice prices...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I tried that and it gives me MSRP (man suggest retail price) $15,990 and there is no way I am paying that price.

To follow up, I am stuck at home with no car and I have to go to work tomorrow. I am going to have to cancel all my appointments for tomorrow. I found a dealer in fontana that actually delivers your vehicle to your home within 100 miles! I can buy my car online and avoid haggling with the dealer face to face. I will let you guys know how it turns out. I am just trying to figure out what price to offer. I am really stressing out about this. I have $8,000 down. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't see much difference between the S and the SE+ S.
    Could you rent a car for a few days until you can buy one? Enterprise et. al. offer some pretty good rates on basic cars. And they (Enterprise) pick you up at your home and take you to get your rental car, if you can't get to their store yourself.

It's better to buy a car when you aren't under such great time pressure.
    Yeah. You are right. I am really stressing. Maybe I will. I might try to negociate tonight first and if I find that it is at a good price I will buy. Thank you for the advice.
    Personally, I'd go for the mid level Sentra, not sure if it's the "SV" or not. Have driven a few at work and they seem to have all the goodies one could ask for, not bare bones. I thought it drove nicely but please check the brake pedal very carefully, all the one's I've tried have a pedal that is pretty close to the floor. Just something I'd check out if I were you!

• saccrvsaccrv Member Posts: 2

Got 2014 Sentra SV with Floor and Trunk Mats, Bluetooth Connectivity, Splash Guards, Hideaway Truck Net at Destination Nissan, Albany, NY as follows on 30-June-2014.

Selling Price: 16000
    DOC fee : 75
    NY TAX : 1280
    Title etc fees: 152.5
    Total : 17507.5
    Rebates : -1500 (NMAC finance-$500, Customer Cash-$500, Competitor (own a Honda)-$500)

Total after rebates: 16007.5

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188

Congrats on the new car! Thanks for posting and giving your experience.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator