Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• amirasamiras Member Posts: 20
    It seems like in VA you pay sales taxes up-front based on the full sales price :(
    In any event, I'll go to the dealership on Saturday the test drive both of them and decide on the spot. Thanks for your help and I'll probably go with your 12K/yr advice.
    Angel
  • amirasamiras Member Posts: 20
    One last question: Do you pay taxes on the MSRP price or the sales price? My guess is based on the sales price but I just wanted to make sure before I go to the dealeship.
    Thanks,

Angel
  • davide777davide777 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at an X3 3.0 with

MSRP - 39,620
    LEV - 62%
    Term - 39 Months
    Money Factor - 0.00135
    Total Sales Tax - 1,616.70

Initial Cap Cost - 37,417.29
    Add Cap Cost - 825
    Sec Deposit - 600
    Annual Fee (?) - 94.05
    Initial Fee (?) - 83.00

I'm also trading in a 99 528i that I owe 17,350 on, and they are giving me 13,000 for. The tax rate is 6.25% on the difference between purchase price and trade-in.

My initial amount due at start is 1,465.82 with a monthly payment of $598.15.

They didn't have any more room to negotiate on the trade, but where else (other that the MF should be .001), that I can use to lower this.

I'm going over tomorrow (Saturday) to finalize this, but I feel like I can do better.

Thanks.
  • viwittviwitt Member Posts: 2
    I went to a dealer today and my experience wasnt pleasant at all. The numbers presented werent nearly close to some of the sale prices I have seen on this board and the salesman basically blew me out after one pass and never even went to his manager.
    Car was white X3 3.0 base with privacy glass, cargo net, thats it.
    MSRP was $37,995 includes destination charge
    His sale price was $36,500
    I didnt ask what the MF was
    They were off about $1,000 on my trade versus Kelly blue book good condition. (05 honda accord 9K miles, about 2K upside down)
    Wanted 4K down and the Payment was $491
    What the hell happened???????? I wanted the 39 month lease special.
    Someone please walk me through this and help. Thanks
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Well, if you're negotiating with the only dealer in town, you don't have a lot of leverage; if they are selling X3 at a good clip then they have absolutely no incentive to cut you a better deal. You might have to widen your search radius a bit. I live in north central Kentucky and I've bought BMWs from dealers in Chicago, Cincinnati, and Memphis. As for your trade, you shouldn't expect more than auction value. Not many BMW dealers are going to want an Accord in the front row of their used car lot. Why not ask the experts in "Real-World Trade-In Values over on the Smart Shoppers board? Tell them the year, mileage, color and optional equipment and you should get a realistic idea of what your car is worth. You do realize that you will almost always get hosed when you trade in a nearly new car?
  • viwittviwitt Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your response, and yes they are the only BMW within 60-100 miles of where I live. I totally agree with your statement about them not wanting my Honda on their lott, but the Florida Black book value of the Accord clean book is $21,500. Trade aside, answer this please, how do they advertise $339 a month and what are the numbers, MF factors included in all of that, how do they get close to that number? Besides the negative equity in my trade Im still confused about how they get to the payment.

Thanks.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I only know enough about leases to be dangerous; hopefully kyfdx will drop in-he's the BMW leasing expert. As for your trade, I'm not saying that they aren't trying to lowball you, I'm just saying that they are possibly offering close to auction value for your Accord. Do you want to roll your negative equity into the lease? If so, that will have a major effect on the numbers. If you have a Carmax nearby you might want todrop by and see what they'll offer outright. They often beat dealer trade offers.
  • sponge_worthysponge_worthy Member Posts: 27
    I went to a dealer, was offered Money Factor of 0.00155 and was told that this is set by BMW financial, and that the dealer has no control over this!?! Is this true?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,199
    So... how much is due at signing?

You are upside-down by $4350 on your trade... The numbers don't look too far off, but without knowing your initial payment, it is hard to figure..

The base MF is .0010... If you are making a security deposit (and it appears you are), then they are bumping the MF... Getting the base rate would save you $24/mo.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

1) The special is for 10K mi/year... If you need more miles, the price goes up..

2) The advertised lease special doesn't include taxes

3) Figure an increase of $15/mo for every $1000 higher MSRP your unit is over the advertised unit.

4) If they are jacking up the MF and acquistion fee, figure another $30/mo..

It adds up fast.. they are advertising the lowest possible payment.. it is a come-on.. very hard to get to that number in reality.. That $339 also includes an upfront payment of $3500 or so... and that doesn't count any negative equity from your car..

As far as trade-in value? I don't know which model Accord that you have.. But, on the prices paid board... they are reporting purchase prices of $22,900 for brand new '05 Accord sedan EX-V6.. I doubt a dealer could sell your car for $21,500, and even if he could.. he would have to purchase it at around $19K to make money on it...

Trading a new car with only 9K miles pretty much guarantees you a big hit...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

BMWFS does set the money factor... It is .0010 on this model.. However, they allow the dealer to mark it up by .0004.... The dealer has complete control over this part of it... they earn an extra commission from BMWFS by marking it up..

Also, if you don't want to make a security deposit, there is a waiver charge of .00015.... This is how they get to .00155..

You should make the security deposit to avoid that upcharge..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Whats the siginicance of the "$339 Special" - I mean it seems that Base MF has been 0.001 and Residual 62% for quite some time - is there something new in the current offer?

:confuse:
    BMWFS is now using the 36 month numbers for a 39 month term.. This lowers the payment by around $30/mo..

So.. no special significance to the $339/mo.... But, comparable lease payments are significantly lower, if you extend out to 39 months...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thats makes sense - unfortunately, I could not get my dealer to budge on the MF - but I think I still got a decent deal (at least I'd like to think so) with $3K off MSRP on an X3 with Nav and Premium even with the MF of 0.15 - I didn't have time to run around to a lot of dealers to try to get the base rate. And in the area I live in these cars move on their own so I think the dealers can get away with marking up the MF.

As kyfdx points out, since in the July deal they used 36 mo numbers on a 39 mo deal, its $30/month amounts to about a $1K savings on the whole lease - which I guess evens out the fact that they wouldn't reduce my MF. So while clearly not the best deal, not a total beating. And overall still a much better value than anything comparable out on the market (in terms of leases). Or am I missing something?
    Are you happy with the car? That is the most important thing... It sounds like you did okay..

The paramaters that BMWFS has set up for the X3 leases is so good, it is hard to make a bad lease deal on one...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I do indeed love the car. The last BMW I owned was '91 318is, its amazing how just the sound of the engine, completely reminds me of that car - something very distinctive about BMW sounds.

I looked around at few others Acura in particularly, and although they make a nice product, its like a nice home appliance - nice to look at, reliable but evokes no passion or emotion. In my opinion, Acura, Lexus and Infiniti still have a long way to go in their quest...
    Quick question -

One thingI still don't understand is about the acquisition fee. In the advertised "339" there was no acquisition except in NY. However, it appears dealers are charging this even outside of NY. Under the deal, is the acquistion fee supposed to be waived outside on NY?

Thanks
    In the $339 deal, it is rolled into the cap cost...

The fee is $625 in every state but NY, where it is $900... However, the dealer can mark it up by $200 for extra profit..

In the advertised deal, NY handles it differently... they assume a smaller cap cost reduction and pay the acq.fee upfront... The end result is the same, though... it gets paid, either way..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• stone3stone3 Member Posts: 9
    Hi,

I was considering buying x3 untill I heard a terrible accident that my friend experienced.
    She was driving x3 and noticed minor problem with keyless entry system;it sometiems worked and sometimes didn't. Then one time, she found out that the car went without stopping even though she pressed a brake pedal. She never thought that it was a brake problem because it was just a few days after she bought it. She just thought that she might have pressed acccelaration pedal instead of brake pedal. The other day she went to daycare center to pick up her child. While she was parking a car, she stepped on a brake pedal but the car did not stop at all and kept going breaking a wall of playgound. Fortunately there were no children on that side of playground but I can guess that she felt like she was in a hell when she passed a wall of a playground of daycare center. This time she was sure that she was using brake but it failed to stop a car. If there is anyone who experienced or heard about a similar problem, please let me know.

Thank you
    Didn't you already post this under another topic....

What does this have to do "buying experience"?

In anycase, if this is true, there are anamolies in all manufactured products. Its a only a 99.9% perfect world - just ask NASA.
  • t70t70 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I am looking to lease a 2005 X3 3.0. A dealer has given me a quote of monthly payment $423.26 (including tax) for X3 3.0i which includes premium package, cold weather package, heated steering wheel and privacy glass. It with 1000$ down and no trade in. I don't have any other details yet like the MF and other things. I will have to follow up on these with the dealer. But in the mean time, how does this deal sound?

Thanks
  • ttenragttenrag Member Posts: 38
    I don't know you or your friend....but I have a hard time believing the brake could somehow cause the car to mave forward. I would bet that since this is a new car for her she probably hit the gas pedal.
    What is the MSRP?

Is the $1000 your total upfront cost? Or is it a downpayment, to which you'll have to add 1st payment, security deposit and acquisition fee?

What is your tax rate?

All the variables matter... Total costs on similar sounding quotes can vary by as much as $2K...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Got some more details from the dealer. MF is 0.00125, total due at lease inception is 2076.70 (includes my 1000$ down + 1st payment + other things which I don't know). Residual is .62. Tax rate is 5.5%. I am still trying to get the remaining details from the dealer. :confuse:
    Some more details which I got from the dealer.

MSRP is $40,595,
    selling price is $38,115.
    The term is 39 months / 12000 miles per year.
    MF: 0.00125
    Residual 62%

Total due at lease inception $2,076 which includes:
    $423.26 first payment
    $450. Security deposit
    $1,000 money down
    $58.05 (Tax)
    $90 Plates and title
    $55.39 Doc fee
    Total $2,076.70

So is the deal worth it, or should I try some other dealers ?
    Probably tomorrow, I'll be able to check the numbers.. August rates aren't posted yet... but, are likely to be out sometime soon.. Off the top of my head... it looks pretty good... maybe a little padding here and there..

I wouldn't want to make that $1000 downpayment, though.. I'd just roll that into the lease.. That would reduce your upfront to under $1100, though it will add about $28/mo to your payment.. It will make no difference to the dealer..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• bastabasta Member Posts: 3
    Would like to have something clarified based on experience with BMW dealer today. Went in with armed with the great advice from this discussion, we negotiated a price for a 2005 X3 about $1500 above the invoice number we were working off of from Edmunds. When it came time to start finalizing a deal, they pulled out their alleged "invoice" to show how Edmunds and all the other web sites were wrong in calculating invoice, because MACO and Sales Training were not included in the base invoice price. In our case, MACO was an additional $200 and Training was an additional $180. When we challenged them on this, they claimed what we were looking at was the invoice from BMW, showing these two items in addition to the listed base price as their cost. They also tried to slip in the $499 dealer prep fee, which they claimed is non-negotiable. At that point, we walked.

I have read before that the base invoice price on Edmunds does encompass MACO and training. Just want to know if the dealer has created a false invoice, or if the actual invoice from BMW does charge the dealer for these in addition to the base invoice price. Thanks
  • hoftroy79hoftroy79 Member Posts: 4
    Hey

I'm gonna go shopping around tomorrow for an x3 2.5i, the one I want is around 33,500 and I wanted to at least know what I'm talking about when I go into a dealership. I'm in LA so there are many BMW dealers so getting a good deal is possible if I know what a good deal is.

Can anyone give me an idea and anything to look out for?

Thanks
  • timmbojtimmboj Member Posts: 123
    You walked out? Good for you! I don't know about the MACO or Sales Training, but sure sounds like you were working with a shady dealer. I have seen a "sales training" price listed as an option on some websites, like AutoTrader.com, but never knew what it was. Do you have other BMW dealerships close by? I'm going to do the "fax attack" from fightingchance.com end of this month. I'm faxing to all the dealers within a 300 mile radius. Hopefully I can weed out the snakes and find a dealer willing to make a quick sale. (fingers crossed)
    It has always been my understanding that MACO (advertising cost to dealer) and Sales Training (cost from BMW to dealer) were included in the base invoice paid by the dealer. So, either that information isn't true or the dealer created a fraudulent "invoice" to deceive customers. I have a few others within my area, so I am working with another one now. We'll see if makes a difference. Good luck with the fax attack.
    The training fee is built in to the base price you see here on Edmunds... If you had looked closely, you would have noticed that the base price on their invoice was exactly $180 less than the invoice posted here and other places on the internet... So.. [BMW invoice + training fee = Edmunds invoice]

MACO varies by area.. It is an advertising charge that the dealer pays to BMW..

If you negotiate an "invoice plus" deal, this is what you have to deal with..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

1) Selling price is good..

2) They are bumping up the money factor from .0010 to .00125.. this adds about $16/mo to the price..

You aren't very far away from a good deal.. (about $16/mo away..ha)

If you don't put the $1000 down, the payment goes up about $28/mo.., but if you can get them to use the base rate, you'll save $16/mo. of that...

So... I'd want an upfront of around $1050... with a payment of $435/mo. including tax.

Ask for that, and take anything within $10/mo of it... That would be a good deal..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thank you for the clarification kyfdx. Your posts have been most helpful. I was able to successfully close on my X3 this weekend, in large part to reading the discussions on here. Many thanks.
    I went into two bmw dealers today, Santa Monica, and Beverly Hills, both gave me very similar prices on an x3 lease

MSRP: 35,500
    Acq. fee: $625
    Money factor: I asked, they said something about it being around 3%, does this make sense?
    Residual value: 63%
    Lease term: 39 months/15k year
    CA Sales tax: 8.25%
    Monthly payment: $419 including tax
    No money down, $1575 due at signing

They said I could drop to 12k a year for about 25 bucks less a month.
    It sounds like a good deal to me. Both dealerships weren't pushy at all and didn't seem to mind that I wanted to think about it for a while.
    1) Is this the 2.5 or 3.0?

2) At an MSRP of $35,500, it would have to be a 2.5... but need to know this.. or..is $35,500 the selling price?

3) 3% rate is an MF of .00125, which is the base rate for the 2.5 model

4) Residual value.. 10K residual for 2.5 is 62%.. for the 3.0 model, it is 63%.. You might find when you get ready to close the deal, that they are quoting 10K numbers, not 15K numbers..

A lot of numbers here... but, they aren't quite matching up... If you check on them, I can give you a better idea..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

It is the 2.5i, 35,500 is the MSRP

The 10k number was $299/mo with 4159 at signiing. I told them I only wanted to pay the minimum at signing which they said was around 1600, taking out the 2500 down payment. And I told them I needed 15k miles a year. Their total with tax was $419/month, 1600 at signing for 39 months.

Here's how it broke down:
    cost: $32,500
    Residual: 20160
    Monthly dep: 316.40
    mo lease charge: 73.72
    base payment: 390.12
    plus tax comes to 422.30 because he was charging me for placemats and when I said, "you're seriously gonna charge me for the place mats?", he said "alright $419/mo"

As for the payment due at signing:
    1st payment: 419
    sales tax: 68.
    1st year fees: 281.75
    other upfront: 825
    Total: 1597.11

Thanks for looking into it.
    I'm having a hard time coming up with those numbers..

1) The residual for the 2.5 model for 39mo/15K is 59%... that is okay, but the residual at that number is $20,945, not $20,160.. $20,160 residual would assume an MSRP of $34,170...

2) Actually, at $34,170, the numbers start to make sense... I can get the same exact payment, using that as the MSRP.. You can't add accessories or dealer installed options into the MSRP, for purposes of figuring the residual..

3) They are using the base money factor, but bumping the acquisition fee from $625 to $825... You would be better off rolling the acquisition fee (hopefully $625) into the lease, and paying a $450 security deposit... that would lower the money factor, and you would get the $450 back at the end of the lease..

If you do that, your payment goes up by $17/mo., but your upfront would drop by $375 ($825 minus $450).. and you get the $450 back..

How did the vehicle get from $34,170 to $35,500? (assuming I'm correct).. Did you add that much in accessories? If so, the $32,500 selling price looks pretty good, and I could overlook the $200 bump-up in the acquisition fee.. If not, then you ought to look into why they are mis-representing the MSRP of the vehicle..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Yeah good catch...sorry about that. The original advertised deal was based off the 34,170 price but the car they had in stock was 35,500, I didn't realize the difference. It had privacy glass and metallic paint where as the other 2 had only 1 of those two options. I was wondering about the $825.

Thanks for the info...it's helped tremendously!
  • blackeye800blackeye800 Member Posts: 14
    I was quoted $37447 (invoice + 500) + TTL in rochester,ny for a titanium silver metallic X3 3.0i AWD with premium package, heated seats, privacy glass and sat. radio prep. (MSRP 40195). I couldn't find out by reading the posts here if this is the going price at present. Could anybody let me know if I can proceed or try for a better deal. Thanks in advance.
  • heinzerheinzer Member Posts: 6
    Yesterday I did my first lease - an 05 X3 3.0 Highland Green with tan interior from Devon Hill outside of Philadelphia. Last month I was ready to buy a Tribeca and new nothing about leasing. But thanks to this forums help - especially kyfdx - I could figure out how leasing works and what the $$$ numbers should be for a good deal. The X3 drive home was awesome - what a great driving experience! Thank you all.
  • blu777blu777 Member Posts: 10
    I just got a quote for an Alpine White X3 2.5 with premium package, leather interior, privacy glass, xenon lights and satellite prep. The dealer is quoting me 36K from an original MSRP of $38,750. He told me this is $600 dollars above invoice and he can't go lower, but I'm wondering if I should wait on this for September to see if prices drop drastically. I hear they go below invoice after August? Is this true? My lease on my 2001 Audi A4 Quattro with the same dealership is up this week, so I don't know if it's worth waiting out the next couple of weeks...

Basically, is this a good deal? The money factor is a bit high at .00155 and I plan to negotiate down to .001. He gave me the current leasing incentive (39 months same as 36 month lease). 12K miles a year/62% residual. I'm putting nothing down other than the required deposit and first month plus fees and coming out to $490/month on the lease. This seems high, I'm not sure why. Can you help me out?

Thanks,
    Blu
    Go for X3 3.0, the difference is the lease will be negligible (maybe $10-20) , but the difference in the car is night and day.
    The base money factor on the 2.5 model is .00125.... The .0010 MF is only for the 3.0 model...

In addition, residuals are 1% higher on the 3.0 models....

The lease rates are good, either way (not their quoted MF, the base rate).. I think you are taking a big chance by waiting, though.. The 2.5 is discontinued for the '06 model year, and at some point, they are likely to drop the lease incentives and add purchase incentives.. Since, you want to lease, your cost could actually go up...

If it were me, I'd look for a 3.0 model that MSRPs for about $40K... If you get them to the base rate, you could likely lease that for under $500/mo..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks for the advice kyfdx...When you say base rate, you mean base including the equipment I got on the 2.5 (which would be a premium pkg. basically), or the base model price? Sorry for the confusion...I'm thinking about leasing to buy actually.
    Base money factor.... which determines the finance charge portion of the lease..

The 2.5 model has a base money factor of .00125.. If they are quoting .00155, then they are marking it up, for additional profit.

The 3.0 model has a base money factor of .0010....

You always want to get the base money factor, naturally....

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

sorry to bug you just one more time, but how good of a final price do you think i can get right now for the 2005 3.0 with the options I have on the 2.5?

Also, is leasing to buy a smart option? Thanks kyfdx!
    Not sure exactly what options you have on the 2.5 model, but $40K-$43K gets you a very well equipped X3 3.0.... We've seen prices of $500-$1500 over invoice on this board, which equates to $2500-$3500 off of MSRP..

I'm not sure if leasing to buy is a great idea.... the tax laws in your state sometimes have a bearing on that... But, I will say that the lease deals on the X3 are great... and if I were choosing between buying and leasing, I'd definitely pick leasing with the program presently in place..

With the 2.5 model being discontinued after '05, If I were purchasing, I'd worry a little about resale values... Generally, with BMW, the smallest engine, cheapest versions of a car have the best resale... but, I think in this case, resale might favor the 3.0 model...

Although the difference in base MSRP is about $6K, the difference is only about $3K, popularly equipped..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

thanks a bunch, a huge help! I think I'll start looking into the 3.0 since there are a lot more options for me that way. I was originally looking for a one year old model for purchase, but maybe the lease is a better option. thanks again!

best,
    blu
  • alexandriaalexandria Member Posts: 12
    MSRP $38,295 3.0i (rd metalic, htd seats, servtronic, & tntd wndws)
    Floor Mats $195
    Destination Charge $695
    Acquistion Fee $895
    Processing Fee $295
    Taxes 3.20%
    Discount $0
    Downpayment $500
    Net Capital Cost $41,100
    Residual % 62%
    Residual $23,743
    Term 39
    Money Factor 0.001

Depreciation Fee $445.07
    Finance Fee $64.84
    Total Monthly Payment $509.91

Thanks!
  • alexandriaalexandria Member Posts: 12
    The dealer claimed he needed to pay BWM leasing a "fee" of $1300 to participate in the lease incentive. Is there any truth to this?

He also claimed that because of the lease incentive he was not able to discount the price of the car from MSRP. Is that correct?

Thanks!