Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Find another dealer; this one is lying to you.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    This could possibly be the biggest ripoff in history.... But only if you take the deal...

I'm with div2... run as far and as fast as you can from this dealer.. He is a flat out liar...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Boy, talk about sleazy; no discounts? a $1300 leasing fee? $200 for floor mats? I'd sure like to know which dealer is trying to pull off this scam.
    Yeah.... I guess to their credit...after they added on a couple of thousand to the price.... they used the base money factor... :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• alexandriaalexandria Member Posts: 12
    This is the Alexandria, VA BMW dealership.

So, what amount should I be paying per month? Which of the "fees" are legitimate? How much can I expect off of the MSRP if I am getting the base MF and the 62% residual?

Thanks for everyones help and comments.
  • alexandriaalexandria Member Posts: 12
    We signed some initial paperwork to qualify for the loan, as well as a form with this "deal" on it so they could order the car. We also gave them the downpayment check. Can we cancel the check and be done with this?
    This would be a reasonable deal.

$38,295 MSRP
    (HEADS UP).. according to the residual quoted, this would include the destination fee... I think they were adding it on twice.. If I'm wrong, please correct me.
    $36,500 selling price
    $625 acquisition fee (base fee)
    $37,125 Cap cost (selling price + acq.fee)
    NO processing fee..
    Residual 62%
    Money Factor .0010
    39mo./39K lease.

Depreciation (monthly) $343.13
    Finance (monthly) $60.87
    Total payment $404/mo. + tax..

Not sure about tax in VA.. IIRC, the 3.2% is applied to the entire purchase price... this would be about $1200.. If you roll it into the monthly payment, that would add around $30/mo. to the payment...

Due at signing: 1st payment, security deposit, registration fees.. (about $1100-$1200 total).

So... $1200 at signing and about $435/mo including tax..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

YES.... yes.. yes...

Call them up ... tell them you changed your mind... cold feet, mother-in-law moving in.... whatever.. You don't want to stop payment on the check without telling them....

But, don't delay.... call and stop payment now...

Don't plan on going back to this dealership, though.. Even if you wanted to (and I wouldn't), they likely won't deal with you anymore..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Even if you paid MSRP for that X3 (which you shouldn't).... If the rest of the deal is the same as my example.....

The payment would only be $480/mo. including tax... with only $1200-$1300 due at signing...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• racnoracno Member Posts: 6
    MSRP 36995
    Sale price 34995
    Money factor .0001
    Security deposit 400
    Residual 60%
    Monthly 389 with 0 down payment and 12000 miles
    425 with 15000 miles
    Is this a good deal?
    Thanks in advance
    None of the leases seemed to have a clear definition of Lease termination options. Does anyone have experiences in this area
  • inkyofokinkyofok Member Posts: 62
    you all know there is no 2.5 for 2006 right? I drove a 2004 2.5 with only 3k miles perfect at a jeep dealer in Tulsa yesterday and they are very nice. It was loaded 39k when new (all options except sport) and dealer asking 29 and begging me to buy. Very temped but with auto the 2.5 is sadly guttless since 4000lbs and awd. Price was right and nice ride but that engine while nice in a sedan is out of place. BMW must think so also as it is dropped which makes sense since 325 now has 3.0 in lower HP with 330 in 255 hp mode.
    It might be a good deal..

1) Does it include tax?

2) What is the amount due at signing?

3) The difference between 12K/yr and 15K/yr should only be about $20/mo... so, I'm wondering why the $36/mo. difference.... The 60% residual is for the 39mo/15K lease... Residual for 39mo/12K lease is 62%

4) $36,995 is the price of a base model... can you actually find one equipped that way?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• mishka7368mishka7368 Member Posts: 4
    Please advise: looking for x3 2.5 lease in NJ. So far the best I found is: car at 33600$ Msrp, 10k/year, 39 month; 319/ month incl tax; 3900 $ out of pocket.
    Is it good ? Who knows of any better deal in NJ/ NYC area?

Thanks
    $3900 up front? Ouch! Do they promise to call the next morning? :surprise:
    2500$ is down; the rest are fees. I do not have breakdown at this point- I just started. Overall, recalculating to monthly paymentit was better that two other dealership: in one I found 347$/month incl.tax +3000 out of pocket; in another 340$/month incl.tax +3900 out of pocket for 35500$ msrp cars. So overall, first deal 319 $/month incl.tax +3900 out of pocket looks better; I am not sure is that good or not compare to other people experience.
    Thanks
    kyfdx will probably weigh in later; he's the expert on leases- but compared to other deals I've seen those numbers are much too high.
    Boy... these "$3900 due at signing" leases make it hard to reverse engineer a selling price, but I'll try to take a shot at it...

Remember... this involves a lot of guesswork...

$319 1st payment
    $350 Security deposit
    $625 Acquisition fee
    $300 Title/license/registration
    $1100 Sales tax
    $1025 Cap cost reduction..

I had to use a cap cost of about $30,750 to get the $319/mo. payment, so that would give a selling price of around $31750-$32000.... assuming my numbers are close...

Not a bad price for a car that only MSRPs for $33,600...

But, you should really be getting quotes for leases with $1500 or less upfront.

With $1200 due at signing, this same lease would be $395/mo... tax included.. Which is the way I would go..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• x3guyx3guy Member Posts: 2
    First, thank you kyfdx. Your posts were very helpful in getting this deal. Are you a BMW dealer?

Summary: $0 down, $400/mo, 39 months, 10K miles

2005 BMW X3 3.0IA
    MSRP: $36300
    Titanium Silver: $475
    Privacy Glass: $350
    Destination Charge: $695
    Total MSRP: $37,820

Cap Cost: $35,910 = $35240($250 over invoice)+$45doc fee+$625acq fee
    Cap Cost Red: $2
    Adj Cap Cost: $35,908
    Residual Value: 23826.60
    Depreciation: $12081
    Rent Charge: $2329
    Lease Payments: 369.51+tax=$399.99

My total drive-off was $1102.91 (first month, $400 sec deposit, reg, taxes, CA tire fee)
    $399.99/mo for 39 months 10K per year
    This was using a MF=0.001 (2.4%)

I had to put a $2 cap reduction in order to keep the payments under $400 so my security deposit stayed at $400 and not $450. The security deposit is apparently set at the next $50 mark above your lease payment. So, for an extra $2, I get to keep $50 in my pocket for the next 39 months :-).

I found the dealer through an internet pricing site. I did so many of them, I don't know how I connected with him. The internet is truly the best way to buy a car. I was in and out of the dealership in a couple hours.

I feel this was a great deal. :)

Thanks again, kyfdx.
    Thanks. Please explain further : 319 includes taxes (299$ is monthly payment + taxes~20 $?) ; is it together with 1100$ sales tax (per your comment) or instead?
    Dealer mentioned that 2500$ is downpayment; should I ask them just redistribute down to 39 month : 2500$/ 39 month = 64 $ - is that should be additional per month; i.e. total per month should be 299$+64$= 363$ +tax ???

Thanks
    Kyfdx Thanks for your response. I will answer your questions in the same order
    1) The price doesn't include taxes.
    2) Outside of security deposit there is no amount required for cash down
    3) I am not sure how the dolar amount went up by 36 - will verify with the dealer
    4) You are right- i am expecting the cost to go up by around $2000 with some options
    $1100 upfront and $400/mo. for a $38K car.... is a good deal, no matter how you slice it..

Nice work,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I was just using a hypothetical...

But, yes... I'd rather back that $2500 downpayment out of the deal, and yes, it will add a corresponding amount to the payment.... but, it will end up being a little more than $2500 / 39, because you'll have finance charges on the $2500 that is included in the payment.. So, maybe $365/mo.+ tax...

The deal looks okay... just avoid putting all that money upfront...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

If the acquistion fee is added into the cap cost, the 12K/yr number is pretty close.. maybe about $5/mo. too high... That would leave only 1st payment, security deposit and registration fees due at signing... And, of course plus taxes..

If you get a comparable deal for a more expensive model, figure about $12-$13/mo. higher per every $1000 higher MSRP...

He may have just been quoting 15K numbers off the top of his head... The difference should only be $20-$22/mo. more...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• bmw_x3_2005bmw_x3_2005 Member Posts: 1
    Interested in buying a X3 2.5, as this model won't be in production in 06. Is now a good time to buy? I checked some dealers around and they basically asked for 1K higher than invoice price. Is this a good price?

Thanks.
  • blackeye800blackeye800 Member Posts: 14
    I bought a X3 3.0 two weeks ago for 500 over invoice in rochester,ny and noticed some posts for even less. Aim for a price 500 below invoice as 2.5 does not seem to be as popular as 3.0. Good luck.
  • blu777blu777 Member Posts: 10
    Hi there again, I looked into leasing the X3 3.0 as suggested and here's the deal they are offering...is this legit?

For an automatic White on Beige leather with premium pkg., privacy glass and satellite prep:

Initially their best offer was:
    purchase price: $36,720
    MSRP: $39,220 (plus tax and DMV)
    Residual: 63% of MSRP
    MF: .001 with a $450 deposit
    39 month lease

I got them to lower the purchase price to $36,270
    The lease came out to: $404/mo + tax = $427/mo.
    Drive off: $1209.40

I'm in CA and the tax here is 8.25%

Thanks for the help! Also, should I roll the deposit into the lease?

Blu
    If I use $36,270 as the purchase price... the only way I can get to $404/mo.+ tax, is to assume the acquistion fee is rolled into the cap cost (this looks right), and the money factor is bumped up to the maximum .0014.....

It looks like they are bumping up the money factor.. At the base money factor, the payment would only be $380/mo.+ tax..

I wouldn't roll in the security deposit...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Sorry, a litle confused about the cap cost. Not sure what that means..forgive the ignorance on that one. Should the acquisition fee be included in the purchase price, or are they right to be charging me $625 (he says that they also must tax me on this now). He insists he's giving me a .001 money factor. How much should I be paying with the numbers I have?

Thanks!
    Blu
    Yes... the acquisition fee gets added to all leases... You can roll it into the payment (cap cost is the selling price + any additions to the selling price.. like the acq.fee).

The only other discrepancy I could see that would explain it.... is if the MSRP you quoted me is wrong... In other words, if you have added accessories on to the price, etc....

Only the MSRP on the bottom of the sticker is used to calculate the residual... You didn't add in any other amounts there, did you?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Hmmm...This MSRP reflects the options on the vehicle

MSRP: 39220
    purchase: 36270
    application fee: 45
    acquisition: 625 +tax
    title/reg. cost: 305
    residual: 24708
    deposit: 450
    10k/yr. 39 month lease
    .001 money factor
    8.25% tax
    drive off is 1209 when you include deposit, app. fee, registration/title and first month lease
    That's all I got...let me know and thank you again!

Blu
    I added the $625 acquisition fee to the selling price.. to get a cap cost of $36,895

With everything the same as you have listed, the payment should be $374/mo.+ tax... Tax is about $31/mo. if they tax the payment where you live (what state do you live in?).

So, that comes to $405/mo.

At inception: 1st payment, security deposit ($450), title/registration/app ($350).. for a total of around $1200....

My only other explanation for the discrepancy: Maybe he is running the numbers for 36 months, instead of 39 months... the residuals and money factor are the same, so running it for the shorter period (by mistake) would result in the higher payment...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I live in California-- 8.25% tax. I put the numbers in the edmunds lease calculator and it comes to $415/mo for 39 months. Is this a good deal for this model with these options or should I be asking for less (if I get the dealer to agree with the edmunds calculator of course)?

Blu
    It doesn't look like a bad deal, even at $425/mo.. Less is always better.. If you are in CA, I'm sure I calculated that correctly...

So, unless your dealer is calculating it incorrectly by mistake, then he is either bumping up the MF, or he is not selling the car for the price he says he is....

But, my first inclination is that $36,270 is an incredibly low selling price... So, I might hope to get another $10-$20 off the monthly price... but, if I didn't, $425/mo. seems like a pretty good deal for a $39K car...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

So you're saying it should still be about $405/mo. with these numbers in California? Is the edmunds calculator reliable, because it said $415. It seems that unless I get them down further on the purchase price, which seems unlikely at this point in the game, I don't have much room to negotiate? Is there any way I can wiggle the numbers a bit to your knowledge?

Thanks for all the advice and I'll be sure to let you know how it went!

Blu
    Sometimes the Edmunds lease calculator adds in some strange numbers.. The lease calculations are fairly simple, and I do them on a spreadsheet.... And, yes.. $405/mo is correct using your numbers...

I don't think you have any chance of getting the purchase price any lower.. All you can do is ask if they are adding anything else into the Cap Cost, besides the $625 acquisition fee..

Unless they are adding in other charges and not disclosing... there can only be two explanations..

1) They are mistakenly figuring the lease as 36 months, instead of 39 months.

OR

2) They are bumping up the money factor to .0014... It is possible the finance office could be doing this without letting the CA know about it..

So, do what you can.. press them on the issue... If you can't get it lower, the price is pretty good, as is...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Just the advice from edmunds to fax the dealers in my area for a quote was invaluable in getting to this price in the first place. Thanks a bunch for everything and I'll let you know :)

Blu
  • gingibigingibi Member Posts: 5
    Dealer is offering the following:

2005 X3 2.5 titanium gray with black leatherette, 6-speed manual

installed options:
    249 milti-function steering wheel
    402 panorama moonroof
    429 aluminum finish interior trim
    459 power front seats
    520 fog lights
    522 xenons

MSRP: $35850

Selling Price: Invoice ($33215) plus $1000

Lease: Owners choice: 39 monhts, 12k miles/yr, $2500 due at signing
    Payment: $434/month

Is this a good deal?

Thank you for your help.
    I show invoice at around $32,900 for that configuration... But, the difference could be due to MACO (regional advertising)..

I can't reallly comment on your Owner's Choice deal, as I don't follow the interest rates/residuals for that program. Any reason you can't do a regular lease? What state do you live in?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I live in Texas.

What is the difference between regular lease and Owners Choice?

Would you recommend a regular lease? What would be good numbers for a regular lease for the above vehicle.

Thank you!
    In Texas, you pay sales tax on the whole car, instead of just on the lease payments.... they tend to push the Owner's Choice, so that if you decide to keep the car, you don't have to pay sales tax on it, again....

It is a balloon note, rather than a lease... In effect, it is the same, if you turn the car in at the end of the lease/balloon term.

I'll run the numbers for a regular lease... .and we'll see how they compare... Does your $2500 include everything you have to pay at signing? And.. do your numbers include the sales tax?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Not sure how the dealer calculates the monthly payment.

The sale price is invoice ($33215) plus $1000 plus TTL. I think the sales tax in TX is 6.25%.

$2500 includes everything due at signing.
    Does the payment he quoted include the sales tax?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Yes, this should be the whole payment.

Thank you for your help!
    I am sure I can push for regular lease instead of Owners Choice if it gives me better numbers.

I would like to keep my monthly payments below $400 and pay the least possible amount due at signing.

Please run the numbers for a regular lease.

Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
    I ran the numbers... Of course, I have to guess on the exact tax and registration fees, etc...

Doing a regular lease, I come within about $8/mo. of the payment they quoted for the Owner's Choice.... Since that is only about $300 over the term of the lease, you can chalk that up to almost anything..

Given that, I'd stick with the Owner's Choice.. If you end up keeping the car after the 39 month term, you'll be much better off that way, than with the lease...

As I tell almost everyone else looking at the 2.5... Ask them what the payment would be on a comparably equipped 3.0 model... You might be surprised at how small the difference will be.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• avantgoavantgo Member Posts: 4
    X3 3.0 MSRP of 40,345 - with premium package, cold weather, heated seats, and privacy glass - silver gray with black interior
    Buying price of $38,345
    Lease term: 39 months - 12,000 miles annually
    Confirmed the 0.00100 lease factor but don't have all other details yet
    Pricing quoted is $2195 upfront (tax, deposit, first month payment, Ohio apparently requires sales tax upfront, ) and $452/month.

Based on what I've seen here, these numbers seem higher, though I'm not sure where.

Quote for 39 months, 15,000 miles annual is $472 with similar upfront payment.

Thanks in advance.
    If $2195 includes all that...

I rolled the $625 acq. fee into the cap cost
    MSRP 40345
    Sale price $38345
    Cap cost $38970

39mo/12K residual is 62%
    Money factor is .0010

Payment is $422/mo.

39mo/15K residual is 60%
    Money factor is .0010

Payment is $442/mo.

They are either adding something else into the cap cost, or they are bumping up the money factor.

The one item that gives me pause.. $2195 upfront.. after subtracting $950 for first payment and security deposit, that leave $1250 for tax and registration.. That seems low for Ohio.. they recently changed their tax treatment of leases, and I'm not sure how it works now... But, that amount seems low.. Are you getting a tax credit on a trade-in?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thank you for your quick help. The information on the residuals for 39 months is certainly helpful.

Regarding the tax treatment for Ohio - that has been confusing for me as well. The best that I can assess is that the $1150 or thereabouts (if I subtract $100 for registration) is the tax is for the difference between the Capcost and the residual - in which the case the numbers are close.

Thanks again.
    Found a 2002 posting that explains some of the tax treatment in Ohio. See below:

"I recently heard some information that I thought some of you might find helpful when leasing a new vehicle, well OK just those of you who live in the state of Ohio. Changes were recently made in Ohio's tax taws that require all sales and use taxes for leased vehicles to be paid by the dealer upfront. This new law officially began on February 1st, 2002. After this date, taxes on leased vehicles in Ohio will be collected in advance and be based on the total amount paid by the lessee under the lease agreement, including any down payment that they made to reduce the vehicle's capitalized cost. So in order to figure exactly how much tax you owe on your leased car or truck, take the sum of all of your lease payments, add your down payment to it, and multiply it by Ohio's 5% tax rate. This sales tax may be collected in full or be baked into the vehicle's capitalized cost. Please feel free to use this discussion to discuss this specific tax law or tax laws in general. Thank you.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shoppers / FWI Message Boards