Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• martye320martye320 Member Posts: 45
    Hi Everyone,

Is this a great deal? or am I being tricked to driving somewhere to end up haggling for another 3 hours anyway?

2006 BMW X3 3.0i
    Silver Gray/Gray Leather/Dark Wood Trim
    Automatic Transmission
    Premium Package
    Xenon Headlights
    Privacy Glass
    Satellite Radio Preparation
    MSRP $40,995

24 month, 15,000 mile-per-year lease
    $763.39 Total Drive off
    23 additional payments of $383.89 + tax
    No Security Deposit
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    If this is real, it will be the deal of the century... The numbers would impute a selling price of under $36,000.

I doubt it will happen, but I hope it does!!

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I just got duped! A certain dealer in S. Cali is super duper SHADY. I called the internet guy that sent me that offer to confirm it and he reconfirmed it. When I arrived, I tested the car, found that it's got crooked steering and probably needs alignment. He said all of them are like that, so I drove some more other X3 on the lot. Only 1 actually went straight as an arrow, so I guess that one must be a lemon, as the others veered left or right. Anyway, after figuring out that I can live with a couple alignments, we went up to the office and I gave the green light. When he was inputing the numbers, I pointed out that his lease term on the PC was 36, and he needed to change it to 24 (the total payment came out to about $550 something) So after a few more punches at the keyboard, he basically figured out something was screwy. I was quoted 36 months lease based on 24 months residual. So he was very apologetic, but said it was an 'honest mistake'...so on so on same with the sales manager blah blah...I left even after signing my life away to a total of $509 lease with almost $900 drive off 24 months/12k/year. I figured that they were truly genuine when they apologized and wanted to offer a loss of over $300 lease..even though I threw in a little test of trying to trade my car in. I checked the trade in on my car $30,000, but they offered $27,000 (after the sales mgr. said he had to help me negotiate with the used car mgr to get me $1000 more.) So much for the help eh? I didn't trade. Sales mgr said I should go to the used dealer next door and they might offer $31k...I later saw that figure on the trade in valuation paper. OOPS.

Unfortunately, the promised and agreed upon due bill was supposed to include 2 alignments, one within a week if I could get back and another around 6 months as well as 5 details (my feel good bonus for the screw up in addition to the awesome dealer loss lease).

The finance guy didn't know about anything on the due bill, so he said go back to the sales guy to figure it out, since it was sales that made the promise.

There was only 1 alignment, and it has to be done within 200 miles. Plus the detailing.

What does it matter anyway when I came to do the alignment? It's a job to get done!?! Who cares when?

So when I asked about the second alignment, the sales guy said no way. My wife and I pointed out that they already said they would do it. His sales partner even reconfirmed it. He said no way. If I didn't want to do the deal, I can just cancel.

We cancelled. Gave the keys back. Left around 7:30pm. No more jerking us around! ENOUGH with shady car people.
  • rjp5rjp5 Member Posts: 1
    Kyfdx....Tell me if this makes sense...

2006 X3
    Grey/black
    Premium Package
    Premium Sound
    Xenon
    Privacy
    Automatic
    Heated Steering wheel
    Heated Seat

$42,320....
    $41,000 ...Lease sale price
    .00125 money factor
    63% residual
    36 months...10,000 miles/yr
    $1325 closing costs...
    $1265 other costs...( I am having sirius...universal garage and Aux mp3 port put in)

$3000 My trade..( Not part of down payment ...being use against $1265 other cost and $1325 closing cost..Trade amount is good ..233,000 miles on my 97)

So...at closing I get a check for approx $400..mats for free..

$550 lease approx..

Is this deal..ok ....good....your opinion???

Thanks
    Using your numbers... and, assuming nothing is added to the cap cost... I get $483/mo. plus tax..

$1300 off MSRP is not a great deal for an X3.. especially if you are buying $1265 of accessories on top of that..

They are either adding extra fees to your cap cost (acq.fee maybe?).. or bumping up the money factor.. If we add in a $625 acquisition fee, the payment goes to $501/mo. plus tax.. $550 still seems a little steep.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

BAD DEAL. Here's an excerpt from one of my offers:
    2006 BMW X3 3.0i
    Bluewater Metallic
    Gray Leather
    Dark Wood Trim
    Premium Package
    Automatic Transmission w/Steptronic
    Xenon Headlights
    Privacy Glass
    MSRP: $40,995
    Your Price: $38,185 (INCLUDES FLOOR MATS)

24 month lease
    12k miles/year residual = 73% of MSRP
    15k miles/year residual = 71% of MSRP
    Money factor = .00125 (no tiers with BMW FS)

24 month lease
    12k miles/year
    $1,960.97 driveoff (includes 1st payment 464.66, security deposit 500, license fee 311, CA tire fee 8.75, bank acq fee 625, bank acq fee tax 51.56)
    $429.25 plus tax ($464.66 including tax)

OR

We can waive the bank acq fee by using money factor of .00160
    24 month lease
    12k miles/year
    $1,310.22 driveoff (includes 1st payment 490.47, security deposit 500, license fee 311, CA tire fee 8.75)
    $453.09 plus tax ($490.47 including tax)

ANOTHER OFFER
    Even if I personally bought the X3 @ employee price of $37,895
    (invoice) I would pay $537.39 a month including tax 15k 24 months ($496 pre-tax). For this spec:

2006 BMW X3 3.0i
    Silver Gray/Gray Leather/Dark Wood Trim
    Automatic Transmission
    Premium Package
    Xenon Headlights
    Privacy Glass

24 month, 15,000 mile-per-year lease

24 mo lease

12k miles per year

914 down

544 per mo.

73% residual

1.4 mf

24 mo lease

15k miles per year

949 down

578 per mo.

71% residual

1.4 mf.

ANOTHER ONE

The closest match I have for your request is #2143. See

http://www.smbmw.com/new.php?sortpref=stockno&searchcriteria=X330i

MSRP: $40,945

Selling price: $38,500 including wheel locks and floor mats

MF: 1.4

Residual: 73% of MSRP for 12Kmiles per year over 24 months.

Residual: 71% of MSRP for 12Kmiles per year over 24 months.
  • mnovodvormnovodvor Member Posts: 14
    Thanks to all posters on this forum!
    I just picked my X3 from dealership so here it is:
    2006 X3 White/Terracotta leather
    Premium, heated seats, privacy glass, sat. prep.
    MSRP 40,220
    Selling Price 38,112. ( plus free all-weather mats)
    36mo/30K lease
    0 down, $450 per month
    $3,156 at signing including NY tax.
    Hope these numbers are good and may help others to figure out their deals.
    Probably could get a little better price but did not haggle too much and enjoyed very pleasant experience at downtown Manhattan dealership.
    Nice car. Only drove 10 miles so far.
    Michael :P
  • timmbojtimmboj Member Posts: 123
  • timmbojtimmboj Member Posts: 123
    Does anyone know BMW's finance rates? Or know where to find them and how often they change?
  • whysterwhyster Member Posts: 14
    Hello All,

One of the local luxury car dealers has a 2004 X3 2.5 with 29k miles for $26,000. As far as I can tell, it has:

- Automatic Transmission
    - Premium Package(I think because it has steering wheel audio controls, auto climate control, power seats, and wood)
    - 18" sport wheels

Is this a great deal? Or should I avoid a 2004 since it is the first model year? I figure it's still under warranty and I can buy an extended one from BMW.

Thanks!
  • wecherwecher Member Posts: 1
    Wondering is this is a good deal...

dealership is in Idaho Falls...

"...Jet Black/Black leatherette, automatic and satellite prep. MSRP$ 37,570 I would sell it to you for : $35,950.

If not, how much money would be fair to offer???

Thanks!
  • 462462 Member Posts: 5
    whyster,
    I happen to have priced several 2004 X3s with 2.5 and similar options. They all were asking $28,500 to $31,000. I never made a serious offer yet. Was $26k the price before or after negotiations??
  • pwedmundspwedmunds Member Posts: 4
    I am considering a 06 X3 3.0 with the following Option
    Metallic paint, Navi, leather, heated fronts, xenon, premium sound, privacy, 18" wheel. Including destination, the MSRP is $44,045, invoice is $40,285, straight cash deal. Do you think I can get it at $500 over invoice? I would like to do a survey on priced paid in terms of amount over invoice or amount off of MSRP.
  • jvergjverg Member Posts: 8
    Although I can imagine there might be regional differences, it's fairly easy to get $400+ above invoice in the SF Bay area for an X3. You might be able to do even better in LA as they seem to move more X3s than other parts of the country.

In the SF Bay area, I believe 70% of new BMWs are leased - perhaps dealers make most of their profit on padding the lease terms.
  • jvprjvpr Member Posts: 48
    What credit report does BMW pull- Equifax, Transunion or Experian?

Do they pull all three or just one? Do they pull a random one?

What is the minimal beacon score BMW Financial requires to lease a 330i? I am in the mid 600s on Equifax and Transunion. The dealer says I should have no problem at all in getting approved- not sure I believe him.

Has anyone out there been approved with a beacon score in the mid 600s?

I feel I have better chances of getting approved on a lease with Lexus Financial. The Lexus IS 350 is my second choice of car.

I know BMW uses a pass / fail system- BUT what beacon is the cutoff for leases? What's the minimal beacon they want to get approved on a lease?

Any info would really be appreciated!

J
  • whysterwhyster Member Posts: 14
    Hi 462,

This is the dealer's asking price. I decided not to buy after requesting the exact options through BMW customer service. They revealed that it had a smoker's package. You can still see it at Smythe European's (MB dealer) website.
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    This is the dealer's asking price. I decided not to buy after requesting the exact options through BMW customer service. They revealed that it had a smoker's package. You can still see it at Smythe European's (MB dealer) website.

When BMW lists "smokers package" on its list of options, it just means that it comes with a lighter and ashtray. Woop-dee-do! :P
  • creiss1creiss1 Member Posts: 3
    These deals sound great. I am interested in leasing an '06 X3 for either 24 or 36 months @ 10k per year. I live in Denver and have just begun to look. Any suggestions on how best to proceed?

I'm looking for an X3 in gray, silver or something like that with preferably a black interior; premium / cold weather packages and xenon headlights (give or take on options). Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Chris
    Thanks Michael for the info on your lease. That sounds like a great deal. What else figured into the $3,156 due at signing? How much was the sales tax?
    Chris
  • mnovodvormnovodvor Member Posts: 14
    In my lease 3,156 due at signing consisted of:
    $625 - bank fee
    $450 - first month payment
    $1356 - sales tax
    $450 - security deposit
    $275 - registration, inspection, doc fee, NY waste tire fee(what the hell is that???)

Anyway, it felt like a good deal...

michael
  • gracie2gracie2 Member Posts: 7
    I live in the SF Bayarea,looking to buy an '06 x3 3.0I with the following options: Prem Pak, Nav, Heated Front seats, rear side door mounted airbags. What prices are people paying? Is an offer of $38,000.oo? Thinking of buying very soon and need some input. Thanks - your website is very helpful!
    Hi - Just curious if this purchase was in Northern California? I am trying to negotiate price with the dealer and looks like you got a very good price!
    J
    A dealer in Denver has offered me the following:

2006 BMW X3 3.0i
    Titanium Silver
    Black Leather
    Dark Wood Trim
    Premium Package
    Sport Package
    Automatic Transmission w/Steptronic
    Xenon Headlights
    Privacy Glass

MSRP: 43,545; they will sell it for $42,045 with the following lease terms.

36 months, 12K miles per year, first payment and security deposit out of pocket. $502.89 + tax. Residual = $29,175.15. Rate = .00170

That doesn't sound that great(especially the money factor). Any thoughts?
  • rlourlou Member Posts: 2
    I just ordered my through a So.Cal dealer with the exact same packages. 36 months, 12k miles per year, first payment and security deposit. $490 including tax.
  • 3cypress3cypress Member Posts: 1
    Inquiring minds want to know!

2006 X3 3.0
    Automatic
    Metallic PT
    Premium Pkg
    Privacy Glass
    Satellite Prep
    IPOD hookup

Drive off 3000$ (no sec dep included since I am a current bmw lesee)
    $410 per month inc. taxes
    3 year lease with 12k per year

Please give me your thoughts I need to decide between this and another car soon.
  • jabsjabs Member Posts: 1
    Hi...I just got my X3 last night.
    Retail Price $40,370
    Selling Price: $38,500.
    Jet Black
    Premium package (terracotta leather included),
    Heated steering wheel,
    Heated seats,
    Privacy glass,
    Sat radio prep,
    (Inclusive of
    1st month payment: $419
    Title&Registration: $270
    Acuqisition Fee: $825
    NJTire&DOC fee:$205.5
    NJTax: 811.64)

For $419/month. 15Kmi/36months. w/ $3500trade-in. I can't figure out if got a good deal or a bad one...just really loving the car.
  • drmdaddrmdad Member Posts: 5
    ok, finally i made the deal today and this is the price i paid.. looks like i got OK price, any openions? i'm going to get the vehicle on this Fri.

OTD: $40886.40
    premium package
    blue water metallic
    heated front seats
    automatic trans
    sat. radio prep
    priv. glass
    heated steering wheel
    +tax
    DMV registration/title(4yr)
    documentation fee.

PS:Also i want to know what is on-board computer system and does it come as standard?

Hope this info helps for future buyers.
    The OBC comes with the premium package.. It shows up in the odometer area, and you manipulate it with the button at the end of the turn signal stalk.. You can check average speed, MPG, outside temperature, miles to empty, etc..

It isn't real complicated, but you may have to consult your owner's manual, as the operation of it is not quite intuitive..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

What is the MACO $400 and Training fee $150 about. These were listed just above the destination fee. The dealer said they were standard fees that the manufacturer charges. When we balked he took some $'s off. We bought and X3 3.0i Jet Black, NAV, Privacy glass, Prem. Package, heated front seats, for $39,140 (not including tax and licence) plus he threw in all weather mats. This was in Fremont, CA.
    Thanks,
    MACO is a regional advertising fee.. on the dealer's invoice.. The training fee is also on the dealer's invoice...

They are standard fees for the dealer.. they shouldn't be added on to the price that you agreed to pay, unless you offered a specific dollar amount over dealer invoice. Otherwise, they are just trying to get more money out of you..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

So that I understand what I am dealing with in the future, when buying a car do we offer, for example, a dollar amount over the wholesale price $33,490 or over the MSRP price $36,800 (without the options)? And then calculate the desired options (nav, heated seats, sat prep, privacy glass $wholesale $4,125) and the destination charge into the final price - tax and licence? In my case I paid $39,140 before tax and licence but got the dealer to throw in a set of all weather mats. So in actuality did I really pay $1,475 over invoice? For the future, was there anything else I could have done to drop the price?OR do was this a good price. We live in the SF Bay Area. We also bought the extended maintenance program for $1,200 covering us for additional years/ miles. I am not very good at wheeling and dealing. Any ideas of how would I handle this in the future? I keep seeing that people are paying $500 over invoice and thinking I should have been more firm.
    The confusion, I believe, stems from determining the cost of the vehicle from all the readily available dealer cost data that does NOT include regional MACO & training. Depending on how much time you want to spend saving a couple hundred bucks, you COULD solicit quotes from dealers that are outside the large market advertising campaigns - their MACO charges could be less to nonexistent. So, to answer your question, I believe it's best to always work from dealer invoice up, and to know (in the case of BMW) that there might be additional dealer costs that aren't articulated clearly at Edmunds et al. Also, with the Internet, there's basically no reason to go to a dealer to negotiate price. Drive the car, go home, calculate the price you want to pay, and start emailing. My experience is that you will quickly see a consensus range from the return quotes. I recently went through this process for my soon-to-be-delivered X3 and managed to get $400 above dealer invoice (which, of course includes MACO and training) without much pain. Could I have done better??? Probably. But at some point you have to decide whether the tradeoff in time is worth it. If I could have saved an additional $500+, I probably would have gone for it. As it is, I believe I'm in a respectable price range.
    Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me what $400.00 over invoice is? Is that before options or after options? Is that out the door? I really wanted to pay 38,000 for my X3 but did not get much of a response from local dealers. I went with the lowest bid of 39,140, but of course that was with less options so in actuality I really did not save anything. I feel like an idiot for not pressing more about the add on fees (MACO/Training FEE) and sticking to my guns on the price of the car. I hope to know better next time but want to know what I can negotiate and what I cant. In any case I love the X3 and glad that I chose this car over others I was considering. I am happy that a majority of my maintenance costs will be covered for beyond the standard BMW maintenance program. Compared to other comparable SUV's I think the X3 was the better choice. I just have to get over the fact that I could have negotiated better on the price and saved about $500+ on the cost. Next time!
    Thanks -
    Can you tell me what $400.00 over invoice is? Is that before options or after options?

After options.

Is that out the door?

No. Tax and license not included.
  • msaamsaa Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone give me some guidance and let me know if I am getting a decent deal.
    2006 X3 3.0
    Black Saphire Metallic
    Black Leather
    Cold Weather
    Premium Pack
    Automatic Transition
    Heated Steering wheel
    Xenon lights
    Navi
    Satellite Prep
    Privacy Glass
    MSRP $43,695
    Total price negotiated $41,695
  • talyvantalyvan Member Posts: 17
    You're basically dropping $2000 off the MSRP, but you can do better than that, insist in $2500 off MSRP, you might get it.

I got $2250 off mine this past weekend (Apr/8th) with pretty much no questions asked.

Now, READ the contract if you land a deal, make sure that the MSRP price - the discount exactly matches the Gross Cap Cost reduction (item 10) on the contract. In my experience, they tried to pump it about $1000, and I caugh it and requested a new contract.
    Thank you for your input. The dealer justified the $2,000 drop by classifying me as an internet customer. Reasoning being I was dealing with their Internet salesperson, which made me wonder if the deal was too good to be true.

I will read the fine print and check item 10 on the contract, but could explain to me what the Gross Cap Cost is?

Thank you once again.
    Sure not a problem.

The Gross Cap Cost is basically in Lease terms the price you agree with the sales manager, not the MSRP.

This ammount is very important because remember that in few words the Lease amount you pay is the Depreciation cost (negotiated price of the car minus the agreed residual), plus the rent charge ($ amount of the generated by the "interest" rate) which is called Money Factor. Closing the gap between the negotiated price and the residual is one way to lower your payment, but it can kill you if you decide to keep the car at lease end.

Edmund's Leasing guide is one of the most comprehensive guides out there, at least to get to know the Lingo used and how things really work.
    http://www.edmunds.com/advice/leasing/articles/index.html

I did Google also last week and came across this page on the CarBuying Tips website, the read is long, but the information is 100% real and useful, they also have an Excel Spreadsheet that will help you to estimate vey close the real scenario.
    http://www.carbuyingtips.com/lease2.htm

Hope it helps.
    :)
    This is great information! Thanks. One thing I forgot to mention is that I am looking to finance the car as opposed to leasing it. I am trying to shop around dealers to see how much of a competitive interest rate i can get. Initially I was offered a 7.25% interest rate, which is too high.
    If you're financing, yes that's a bit high, with your credit score, you should be shooting about 6%.

Now, since the dealerships won't give you the APR you're looking for.. then shop around and get pre-approved. I've heard many good stories about Chase, Costco, Banco Popular, E-Loan, etc. The good thing about getting pre-approved is that they'll basically hand you a blank check that you can write up to the ammount you need.

If you have a trade, you can still negotiate the trade side directly on the dealership (remember that the trade should be handled as a totally separate business) or just go to Carmax (if you have one available) and have your car appraised, don't sell the car on the spot, go with the appraisal back to the dealership and try to get at least a match of Carmax price, it'll be just another card under your sleeve to play.

As far as hidden tricks, etc.. :) , there is none (as far as I know), everything is here, in Edmunds, Cars.com, Forums, etc.. I just compile information, have a clear understanding of what to expect and the difference I think, is that I'm not afraid or shy to ask what I want.

You should have the control of the transaction, not the dealership, treat is as a game, demand your terms and in the worst case, nothing will happen (as long you don't sign anything).

The best deal is not the least amount of money (that helps though), is just the comfort zone you feel, for the product and deal you get.
    After some negotiation and putting two dealers against eachother I received the following price.

2006 X3 - Black Metallic Paint
    Beige Leather with Maple Trim
    Servotronic Streering
    Automatic steering
    Xenon lights
    Park Distance Control
    Premium Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Privacy Glass
    Navigation
    Heated Steering Wheel
    Premium Sound System

MSRP= $45,692
    Negotiated Price= $42,900

The 1st dealer I was working with had their MSRP with the same optiosn as mentioned above for $46,892. The only reason there was a price difference was because I was being charged for automatic transmission!!! This is a non charge option. So be careful. I am trying to have the 2nd dealer beat Eloan's interest rate of 5.95%. But so far I think this is a pretty decent deal and was hoping someone would just double check and chime in.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to have the 4 yr maintainence extended to six years?
    Awesome man!!, congrats, that's a great package there. You have been negotiating a very decent deal.

About the rate, the only option I'd suggest is going through http://www.lendingtree.com/, just to see what they come up with.

Also, remember that if rates drop (very unlikely), you can still re-finance before the 1st year and the car will still be considered new, therefore, getting new car rates, that usually are like .5% better than re-finance rates.
  • dogsambamdogsambam Member Posts: 69
    Got quote in Illinois

Sticker $41095
    24 mo lease, 12K per year
    $467 per mo. Taxes included in payment. No money down except first month and plates???? Have to let dealer know quick.

Please let me know.
    Do you live in Illinois? If so, that is a great quote... IL taxes the entire purchase price of the vehicle..

If you live elsewhere, it still looks like a good deal..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• dogsambamdogsambam Member Posts: 69
    Yes- Just picked up car. Silver Grey with Grey leather. No other dealer could come close. A certain Northern Suburban dealer quoted me almost $120.00 more per month, and said that was as low as they could go. Very happy.
    That is great!!

Have fun with your new BMW!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Sorry I missed all the action, but indeed you got a very good deal, enjoy.

My wife is actually thrilled with hers, every single day, she makes comments of how she likes the X3.
  • 2007x32007x3 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, just joined the forum. I am planning to purchase a 2007 X3...my local dealer in the Philadephia burbs tells me I can order the end of August for October delivery. I will likely pick it up at the performance driving school...can't wait. When I go in to work up a deal I hope you all can help! Until then...

I'm thinking -
    Silver grey metallic, black leather, premium package, heated seats, privacy glass, automatic trans, 18 in. wheels, and any other options that may be new offerings.
  • tc9897tc9897 Member Posts: 6
    I got my lease on a new 2006 X3 3.0i yesterday: Silver gray metallic, premium package, and winter package, with privacy glass.

MSRP was $41090, but the final sales price was $38500. With no money down except for inception, the 24-month lease, 12k miles a year lease comes out to $422 a month or $455 with the 7% sales tax in NJ. The dealer is in central NJ.

I just joined the forum a few days ago -- and all the information on this forum was extremely helpful. Thanks!
  • tc9897tc9897 Member Posts: 6
    ...and I should add that the following figures were used during negotiation/calculation:

Residual value: 77%
    Money factor: .00195

The residual value was what I expected going in, but the money factor was slightly higher. I had read that .00185 was the going rate with BMW Financial. They showed me the actual book for the dealers, and this seems to be the current rate. I can't figure out where the discrepancy comes from, but at $422 a month for a model with premium and winter package etc, with just $600 above invoice price, seems like a good deal.