Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bmwlookerbmwlooker Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the info, and it is a helpful confirmation. Lastly, I love manual personally, but was intrigued by the Steptronic addition. Is it worth the extra $1200 and change in your opinion?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    Automatic transmission is kind of a personal thing.. If you'd rather have a manual, I definitely wouldn't pay for an auto. If you don't have a real preference, the auto will really help at resale time. With the automatic, the engine will be revving a little lower at cruising speed, so that might help with noise somewhat.

The 2.5 will probably feel much quicker with the manual.. the 3.0 has enough torque that the difference will not be as apparent.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• 88hodori88hodori Member Posts: 11
    Here's a belated thanks to kyfdx!

Thanks to your suggestion, I have in fact leased the same vehicle at exactly your terms. Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
    88hodori
    I had to share the latest update. I got a last minute competitive offer from another dealer. Guaranteed at $500 invoice after the MACO and Training Fee.

- X3 2.5, 39 month (59% residual) lease at .0011 MF, 15k miles
    - MSRP 37,545
    - Premium and cold package, Saphirre Black, Steptronic, and Cirvotronic steering
    - Acq fee standard, disposition fee $350.

It is only business right, and a better deal. Arrival in 3 - 10 days.
    What do you calculate as a check and balance.
    Forgot Invoice 34445, plus $500 over invoice.

Where does the training and MACO go...closing or into the lease?
    I come up with about $410/mo plus tax..
    Due at signing: 1st pymt, security deposit, title and licensing fees.

Maco and training won't show up anywhere, just like the invoice won't show up.. If your deal is straight up, they will just use those figures to come up with the cap cost.

Invoice $34,445 (includes training)
    MACO $ 200 (I'm guessing)
    Markup $ 500 (per your agreement)
    Selling price $35,145
    Acquistion fee $ 525
    CAP COST $35,670

$410/month plus tax.
    Due at signing: 1st pymt, security, title fees.

Just for a reference, every $100 added on to the cap cost raises the payment about $2.68/month..

Hope this helps,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• kohinahikohinahi Member Posts: 112
    Hi!
    Has anyone purchased an extended "Maintenance" warranty or an extended "Manufacturer's" warranty from BMW. The coverages for both extend the original maintenance and manufacturer's warranties from 4yr/50,000 to 6yr/100,000.

Would anyone share a decent price for these warranties.....I was quoted $1,195 for the maintenance and $2,100 for the manufacturer's warranties.

The dealer claimed his profit was $100 on each warranty.

Thanks!!!
  • atlwomanatlwoman Member Posts: 3
    does anyone have any experience with dealers in the Atlanta area? I'm going to purchase an X3 in the next few days and am wondering which dealers give decent deals. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    The extended maintenance.. $1195 is the list price.. He isn't making a lot, but I think it is probably more than $100.

The extended warranty.. Make sure this is from BMW.. If it is a 3rd party, I would take a pass.. I'm not even sure the BMW extended warranty is available yet, but if not, it will be shortly.. It mimics the CPO warranty extension and for the X3 it has a list price of $2749.

My advice is to wait on either of these.. They are both available, at the list price, unless your original warranty and maintenance plan have run out.. All you are risking is future price increases.... I suggest keeping your money in your pocket for the next 49,000 miles. You might decide you want to trade before then.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I hear good things about Nalley in Decatur.. No personal experience, however.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks kyfdx! Both the warranties are from BMW. He offered me the BMW Extended 'Maintenance' warranty upfront. However, he offered me a dealership warranty the first time around. When I asked him about the "BMW" Extended Warranty, he replied in a low voice, "Well, I'm glad you asked coz' if you didn't ask, I could not offer it to you - Dealership Policy!!"

Seemed a little genuine in his statement as he has a lot more to gain by selling me the non-BMW policy.

I think I will refrain from purchasing right now....will do some research and look to buying closer to the expiration of my warranties.

Thanks again! I think I owe you drinks for all your help. I might be in Tempe over Thanksgiving...let me know!!
  • storms_furystorms_fury Member Posts: 9
    ATLWoman,
    I purchased from Nalley BMW in Decatur and my salesman was awesome. You can contact me if you want more info since I can't post my salesman's name here...

I custom ordered my X3 and took delivery at the Performance Center, which I highly recommend.
  • mitchgirlmitchgirl Member Posts: 4
    I have been quoted invoice for an X3 3.0 with mat. paint, premium pkg, xenon, heated seats, automatic, upgraded sound system, and the cargo net. I have never leased before and this is the quote they gave me:
    $5000 drive off
    61% residual
    39 months/12000 miles
    mf of .0013(i think)
    total payments including tax, $430
    Is that good or can I do better?

What is the most important factor in a lease?

Thank you and have a great day!
    1) I wouldn't put any money down on a lease.. Your drive-offs should be well under $2000.

2) We need the MSRP and the sale price to tell you how good of a deal you are getting. It looks like they might be bumping up the MF, since the base MF is .00095

3) I'm guessing they are marking up the acquisition fee also. The base fee is $525 and they can mark it up $200 over that..

4) A big downpayment can hide a lot of extra fees and charges.. Of course, if they are really giving you the car at invoice, then they have to make money somewhere.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Good day kyfdx,

Thanks for the quick reply. MSRP: 46,380 (maco, training, delivery and floor mats incl) Selling: 42,830. What types of extra fees and charges should I be on the look-out for?

Thanks a bundle!!!

Mitchgirl
    1) Well, I'll assume they should get to mark up the MF a little to make up for the fact that they are selling for invoice. This is what I would look for:
    MSRP $46,830
    CAP COST $43,355 (selling price plus $525 Acquisition fee)
    MF .0013
    Residual 61%
    39 monthly payments @ 485.15 + 8.75%tax(?) = $527.60/month
    Drive-offs: 1st pymt (527.60) + security deposit ($550) + state title/registration fees ($300-$500?)

2) I built your car with the options you specified and only come up with $44,170.. Either yours has some big options you left out (sport package, navigation?), or the dealer is playing around with the numbers. Is that $46,380 the bottom line on the official sticker?

regards,
    kyfdx

P.S.: The marked up MF costs you about $25/month extra.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx,

Once again, thank you for your help. You are awesome!!! btw, I did forget to mention the navigation and the radio prep.

With the advise you have given I fell much better about going for a lease.

I will let you know how it goes.

Mitchgirl
  • pete6pete6 Member Posts: 12
    Can you please tell me what your lease payments will be? I'm looking into leasing the X3 too.

thank you.
    Well I have had quite a change of events and I will recap it on the final sale tomorrow on the lease.

Did I see correctly that the rate factor is now .00095 verses the .0011?

Two, the two X3 2.5 I am looking at the only difference is between one has the heated seats only (not CW package) with black leatherette verses the other has cold weather option in sand leatherette, plus a delivery charge of $575 (coming 1000 miles to me). All being equal it is personal preference I know, but is the added power wash on the lights and the ski bag worth it in the CW with an additional $575? I do live in the Rocky Mountains. I didn't get a chance to see a sand interior with black saphirre so don't know if I like that or the black interior. Some say the black is too dark. Just looking for another opinion.

I know a petty question, but just struggling with a final choice since the car I had was sold before I could close.
    The two vehicles I have narrowed down are:
    X3 2.5 Black Sapphire Metallic/Sand with Dark Wood, premium and cold weather package, steptronic.
    MSRP $37295, plus $500 over invoice
    Invoice 34215
    Gross Cap $35125 with MACO 250, training fee 160 and 500 over invoice, acq
    MF of .0011 (pending verifying the new .00095)
    Residual 59% on 15k miles, 39 months
    Payment $399.28 with tax $418.84 (4.9 tax)
    Delivery charge of $575 to get the vehicle to me. Not many X3's out there with specs I wanted.

Black Sapphire Metallic/Black Leatherette with dark wood, premium package, steptronic, heated front seats, and satellite radio prep.
    MSRP $37,120, plus $500 over invoice
    Invoice 34005
    Gross Cap with MACO 250, training fee 160 and 500 over invoice, acq
    MF of .0011 (pending verifying the new .00095)
    Residual 59% on 15k miles, 39 months
    Payment with tax $415.60 (4.9 tax)

So which one would any of you choose?
  • jaygiljaygil Member Posts: 8
    I am looking at leasing a 2004 X3 2.5 auto with/Prem., Cold Weather, & leather. It has an MSRP of 38270, invoice of 35105, and the lease quote of 399.00 plus tax (acq fee upon delivery and no down).

I am waiting to get the rest of the specifics, but based on recent posts what is the current MF for this X3. I thought the MF was lower on the X3 3.0.

Looking in the New England area.

Any information will help as I will try to finalize this week.
    1) I personally don't like the sand interior, so that would be a no-brainer for me
    2) Assuming you like either interior equally well, I'd choose the one nearest you, and forego that delivery fee. Some people actually complain about the CWP as they don't like unscheduled headlight cleanings (something about spraying/spreading muddy water on the front of the vehicle when otherwise clean).
    3) The .00095 MF is only on the 3.0 models.

4) $415-$420/month for vehicles with that kind of MSRP... It makes you want to pinch yourself. Great job!!

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

2.5 MF =.0011
    3.0 MF =.00095

Look at post above yours.. your price seems good.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx,

You were right on with your figures. I went ahead with the lease. I also took your advise and put nothing down, so the drive off was $1427.00. Thank you for your help.

mitchgirl
    You know.. now I'm starting to get jealous.. Everyone is getting an X3 but me..LOL.

If I had known how good the lease deals were going to be, I might have driven a beater for 8 months instead of buying our 325i last December.

Good luck to all of you,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thank you that is exactly what I needed. To put the cherry on top the dealership is delivering to my house at no additional charge. That is 2.5 hours away.
    bmwlooker,
    Are they delivering via a truck or are they going to put miles on the car????
    If it is the latter, my suggestion would be to make that trip...you don't know who's driving it. The X3 needs to be kept under 4500 rpm for the first 1,200 miles and believe me, it takes some control to keep it from exceeding that rpm. Plus on the highways, I'm sure the driver wouldn't give a damn.
  • njdriver1njdriver1 Member Posts: 97
    Does anyone know the specifics of BMW's incentives on an X3 3.0 lease? I'm coming off a 330i and I am close to a deal on a 3.0 with a sticker of $44,695 (cold weather, premium, auto, xenon, premium hifi, sat prep, privacy glass, metal paint). An idea what I should pay for this car/truck (what is it, anyway)?
    The only incentives are lease or finance incentives.. People that post here seem to be paying about $500 over invoice on average.

X3 3.0... money factor of .00095 and 59% residual on 39mo/15K lease.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I'm going over some choices and wonder if anyone has an opinion on color combos- green/sand v. silver/gray? Has anyone listened to the upgraded sound system? Is it worth it? Xenon's? Privacy glass?
    Green/Sand with Dark wood and privacy looks very rich...definitely not as flashy as the Flamenco Red or Mystic Blue.

Adaptive Xenons look great and are very functional - especially out of the city.

Privacy glass keeps the truck cooler - but is not available on the driver and passenger side...looks kinda' odd. You could get tints (darker) for all glasses for lesser.
    Xenons, privacy glass.. all good.. haven't heard the upgraded sound.. Green.. Looks great.. also referred to as "no-sale green" by dealers.. keep that in mind, if you are concerned about resale, and like other colors.

I really like gray leather over the sand, but that is just me.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• cagcag Member Posts: 1
    Hello kyfdx,

I need you expert advise. I am currently working with a dealer on leasing a 2004 X3 3.0i.
    The MSRP is $46,340(includes dealer installed CD changer).
    The sale price is $45,640. The lease is for 39 months. The MF is .00095. The payment plus tax is $503+$10=$513.00/month. The dealer wants $4700 to drive-off. This $4700 includes fees plus cap reduction monies. However, the dealer says I am entitled to a tax credit(Delaware) of $800 from my last lease, so the drive-off is $3900. This vehicle is equipped as follows:
    *Bluewater Metallic Paint
    *Cold Weather Pack.
    *Premium Pack.
    *Sport Pack.
    *Auto Trans.
    *Xenon
    *Privacy Glass
    Note: Destination Charge $695
    The base price is $36,300
    The dealer says that because this vehicle has to be shipped in from Maine(to Delaware) at a cost of $800, they can only discount this vehicle $700.

They had originally quoted me a monthly payment of $493 based on a vehicle costing $45,790. Since no shipping was involved in this first deal, they were willing to give me a $1790 discount.

Is this dealer on the level?

cag
  • ge88ge88 Member Posts: 14
    Just wondering what the odds are that the incentives will be extended. I have 3 more lease payments on my current car and I'm interested in leasing the X3 2.5 for the $299 -42 months program. Does anyone know when the BMW 2005 models hit the dealers? Any suggestions would be greatly appriated. I could build the 3 more payments into the new lease, but I rather not if they extend the program into the Fall...!
  • dreamlanddreamland Member Posts: 7
    Had a deal done on a Pacifica when I figured let me look at the X3. Wife fell in love with it, me too. We have an 01 X5 and the X3 is for the wife. First hit at the dealer and I was quoted a 400 mo sign and drive on a basic 2.5 with no options.

Been reading the board and getting educated fast. Seems the target for me should be 500 over invoice. Any good dealers in the SE shine?
    I'm just going down this road myself, CAG. If you go to the BMWUSA.com web site and build the car you can determine if the MSRP matches the equipment packages you are getting. Then use Edmunds to figure out the invoice (don't forget the $695 fee) and you'll know exactly how much the dealer profit is. Forget the discount from MSRP and work on their profit margin. And, the less you put down, the better. The drive-off should be 1st month, bank fee, security and documents.
    1) Your drive-offs seem pretty high.. Using your figures, only about $1600 of that is cap cost reduction.. That still leaves $2300 of drive-offs.. sounds like a lot of garbage fees in there..
    2) I really can't comment on the cost to ship a car from Maine to Delaware.. If they say $800, it might be..that said, I wouldn't do it.
    3) The $1800 off MSRP on their in-stock unit is still not that good of a price. Something closer to $3000 off MSRP would still leave them over $1000 profit.

4) To keep the figures straight... I like to have nothing up front but 1st payment, security deposit and registration fees (state and local, not dealer). I even want the acquisition fee rolled into the lease.

5) You also didn't say for how many miles this lease was for.. I'm figuring everything with 59% residual for 15K miles. If your mileage allowance is less, then your deal is even worse. One positive.. they are using the base MF, or at least that is what they are quoting you.

6) I figured a payment on the in-stock unit, MSRP $45790, with a $3000 discount from list.
    With only 1st payment and security deposit up front, I get $490/mo for 39mo/15K lease.. plus tax. Upfront should be around $1200-1300 at most. Figure about $2.75/mo + tax for every $100 higher than that. $23/mo less for 12K mi/yr.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• jane3jane3 Member Posts: 21
    I am ending my 2002 325xi lease. Looking at the X3, initially thought of the 2.5, but people seem to have gotten good deals on the 3.0...
      DOes anyone have the Navigation system? what do they think of it? If I don't get it, i would get a MAgellen, but it would be nice for it to be included.
       The options I am looking at:
    2.5: automatic, premium,Nav,heated seats, metallic paint. for 39months/15k miles...

3.0: auto, moonroof, heated seats and nav.

I am toying with the xenon lights but not really interested at this point. Depending on what kind of numbers I can get....
       I test drove the 2.5 and found it more than adequate for more than what I need. But If I can get more car for a good deal, the the 3.0 would be good....however the gas milage may still be better in the 2.5...
     Thanks for your help
    HOpe to be a and X3'er in New England!!!
  • jbx3jbx3 Member Posts: 5
    Just traded in my 2003 325I with 1 1/2 years left on the 3yr lease for the
    2004 X3 2.5 with the premium package upgrade
    No money down
    1st mo. payment, taxes,tag,etc..$920
    39mo. lease
    10K year (not so great)
    $454 mo. includes tax
    22K residule

Any thoughts on the deal?

BTW, I LOVE this car so far...
  • davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    Sounds good. But can you give me more details? What was the MSRP (sticker price) on the X3? Didn't you lose any money due to early lease termination? I got a 325xit with 1.5 years left on the lease as well. I'd go for the same deal if I won't get hit with penalties.
  • jbx3jbx3 Member Posts: 5
    "Sounds good. But can you give me more details? What was the MSRP (sticker price) on the X3? Didn't you lose any money due to early lease termination? I got a 325xit with 1.5 years left on the lease as well. I'd go for the same deal if I won't get hit with penalties."

The MSRP was around 36K due to the upgrade for the premium package and they ding you antother 1500 or so for the Automatic Transimission "option"..

I lost NO money on this deal..no early turn in fees, etc....I think they make pretty good money by buying off the 325 from the BMW Financial and selling certified pre-owned. My 325I had low mileage which I asummed helped make the deal..

But the whole process was ridiculously easy...turned in the car, signed the papers, wrote a check for the fees ($920), and drove off with a new X3 39mo. lease for $454/mo. tax included...
    That's a good deal. I'll have to look into this.
    Just signed a 39 month lease on 2.5 auto- with Premium package & metallic paint. I think it was a good deal considering the National Lease deal for $299 with 2,500 down just had an automatic.

MSRP 37,420
    Payment $397/39 months
    The 2,500 down was built into my monthly payment of 397.00
    Due @ signing only 1,374(Sec. bank fee and 1st payment)
  • dreamlanddreamland Member Posts: 7
    Been shopping, got quote on a 2.5 with premium pkg in white. $1060 drive away with 425 mo w/o tax on a 39 mos with 10k per year. MSRP 36070, cap cost @ 35150.

I was told the factor is at .00125.

Based on what I am reading, I am not impressed.

How about it kyfdx, any thoughts, comments?

thanks ahead as we are looking forward to a deal soon.
    I think you can do better..! I just signed a 39/ $397 month (including tax) lease with $1,370 due at signing for a 2.5 auto with the premium package and metallic paint. The MSRP was $37,400 and the residual was 63% ($23,200).
    This doesn't really add up, unless it includes tax.

MF .00125
    residual 62%
    MSRP 36070
    Cap cost 35150
    I get $399.75/mo

1) I'll be generous and assume the marked up MF is because they are waiving the security deposit.
    2) Assume $1060 driveaway is 1st payment plus acquisition fee ($525) plus registration.

3) That means you are getting a whopping $920 off MSRP. And that would be if the payment was $400/mo, not $425...

So, something doesn't add up. Maybe tax was included? Even if it was, it still seems at least a $1000 short of being a good deal.

Check the post right above yours.. His deal is for a car that has a higher MSRP, and yet his deal is lower than the one that you were quoted.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Good point.. his deal includes tax.. (residual is 62%, BTW). His cap cost is about $2000 off MSRP.

With your upfronts, you should be looking for $400/mo including tax as a maximum price.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

You could move up to 12K/miles per year for about $9/month more.. and to 15K/miles per year for about $28/month.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Kyfdx,

Can you help me with a hypothetical situation here? Suppose I'd like to lease a 3.0 with MSRP around 43K. 10k/39months. What would be my payment with minimum down (acq.,reg, sec., 1st mo)? 6% NJ tax included in payment. Thanks.
    Assumptions:

MSRP $43,000
    Selling price $41,000
    Cap cost $41,525 (includes acquisition fee)
    residual 62%
    MF .00095

payment $477/mo. including 6% tax
    upfront 1st payment, security deposit, registration

I used a real non-aggressive price to get that figure.. If you can get another $1000 off (achievable, might have to shop), then that would lower the price to $448/mo.

If you start from that assumption... $43,000 MSRP with a sale price of $2000 off MSRP, then you can adjust this way:

Every $1000 more off MSRP = $29/mo.

If you are looking for more or less expensive MSRP:
    Every $1000 higher or lower = $13/mo.

So, a $45,000 MSRP with the same $2000 discount would be about $26/mo more..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator