Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jedjed Member Posts: 24
    jbl1: We did buy, and I would think at this point you should be able to get a similar deal or better, assuming you can find an '04 that you
    like. Our purchase was in June. The process was painless and probably aided by the fact that we were prepared to wait awhile to look at other cars, maybe even wait for the 05 models. If we hadn't seen the car on the lot with so little costly items on it, we probably wouldn't have even talked to a sales person.
    As I mentioned (and by the way, I think my almost identical post following the first was really my attempt to edit the other post; I'm not quite sure how both ended up on the forum), our sales person was not interested in referrals. That said, we live in the bay area and we didn't get the car from Sonnen in Marin, but an earlier post gave figures that made them sound like people willing to deal. The car drives really well, and the 2.5 is powerful enough for me, even with steptronic (which I wanted).
  • mkpravinmkpravin Member Posts: 7
    Hi dcn,
    i live in the DFW area, and i am looking for a X3 lease... can you tell me the dealer you bought the X3 from? i found one that is black with Premium Pkg, Steptronic, premium sound etc for $35,000 MSRP (approx). Also, i am looking to lease any ideas on the rates?
    Thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,199

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• 2004touareg2004touareg Member Posts: 1
    I also live in IL...this is a bad tax law we need to write our state rep's...I just bought a VW touareg rather than lease looked at the X3 and X5 both are great SUV's but I like the body style of the VW...need to buy rather than lease cause you get the sales tax back on the trade-in
  • anjonyanjony Member Posts: 4
    Would anyone have lease rates/numbers for September.

Here is what I have been quoted for a basic 2004 with moonroof. Please comment.

MSRP 34,095
    Negotiated price 32,500
    36 months/10k miles a year
    due at signing $1100 (includes first payment, bank fee/acquisition probably no cap cost.)
    monthly $399 incl tax

I have ran the above number using the .00095 money factor and 62% residual and its close, but I dont know what the real Sept rates are...thanks

Comments are appreciated...
    MF is .00050

Residual is 60%

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I get $361 + tax at the base rate..

$375 + tax if the acquisition fee is rolled in to the cap cost.. If so, looks like numbers are right on the money..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks, kyfdx....

The only thing holding me up is do you think I can/should get a better price than the 32,500. That is still @ 1300 over invoice. I have seen $400 over invoice from other people here...Is that realistic?

Dealer is OpenRoad BMW in NJ...thanks
    It really varies from dealer to dealer.. OpenRoad is a big dealer, right? You would hope that you could knock $500-800 off that price, which would save you $15-$24/mo., but you and I thinking that doesn't mean it will happen.. The dealers around here would never go that low...

If this is the car you want, and you definitely want to buy from that dealer, then you just have to do the best you can.. It isn't like they are $2K-$3K over what you want.. You might be at the point of asking for extras.. (floormats, keychains, grass cutting...LOL).

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks, kyfdx....

The only thing holding me up is do you think I can/should get a better price than the 32,500. That is still @ 1300 over invoice. I have seen $400 over invoice from other people here...Is that realistic?

Dealer is OpenRoad BMW in NJ...thanks
  • twhantwhan Member Posts: 45
    Do I have to have a excellent credit score in order to get the 1.9% financing? I requested a quote from the dealer, but haven't told him I want to finance. Do I need to push very hard to get this rate?
  • headhead Member Posts: 2
    My fiance and I have been looking at the X3 and I knew about the lease rates. However, until I ran into this forum I never actually "Did the math." According to the website it's 299/mth for 24 mths on a MSRP of 32,270. Residual is 22,589. $2,500 down payment.

So the math would be -

32,270 (MSRP)
    - 2,500 (down payment)
    - 7,176 (24 * 299)
    ---------
     22,594 (basically the residual)

It looks like there is no money factor involved. Does this mean that BMW is offering a .00000 money factor on the lease special??? Can I get an X3 with the options I want and still get the zero money factor?

Any insight someone could provide would be greatly appreciated.
    Where you went wrong....

There is a money factor... My guess is the interest charge relating to the MF just about equals the discount from MSRP (you wouldn't pay MSRP for an '04).

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
    You can find additional lease information on Smart Shopper board also. Go to left and scroll down. Goodluck!
  • headhead Member Posts: 2
    My fiance and I have been looking at the X3 and I knew about the lease rates. However, until I ran into this forum I never actually "Did the math." According to the website it's 299/mth for 24 mths on a MSRP of 32,270. Residual is 22,589. $2,500 down payment.

So the math would be -

32,270 (MSRP)
    - 2,500 (down payment)
    - 7,176 (24 * 299)
    ---------
     22,594 (basically the residual)

It looks like there is no money factor involved. Does this mean that BMW is offering a .00000 money factor on the lease special??? Can I get an X3 with the options I want and still get the zero money factor?

Any insight someone could provide would be greatly appreciated.
  • twhantwhan Member Posts: 45
    Edmunds, carsdirect and dealer gave different invoice for this X3 2.5 with auto, PP, xeon, heated seats, private glass.
    Edmunds: 35035; Carsdirect:34882;Dealer: 35313
    Anyone can help confirm?
  • ameta80ameta80 Member Posts: 5
    An x3 2.5 '04w/ Premium pkg and heated seats
    leatherett
    invoice of $33555
    no money down
    lease of $380 + tax

does this sound good? What's the price....
  • kohinahikohinahi Member Posts: 112
    Edmunds is generally right on the money. The price differences seem to be -150 to +200 bucks off the invoice price...might be some dealer installed option or a little discount.
    I agree with kohinahi. There seem to be slight differences in fees from one place to another, Edmunds is consistent.
    Just to throw in one more source..

KBB is pretty accurate... and their site is better than most at not allowing you to build a car that can't be ordered in that configuration. Even the car manufacturer's sites are poor in that regard.

Most differences between Edmunds, KBB and the actual invoice come from advertising fees levied on the invoice.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks kyfdx, as usual your information is thorough and helpful.
  • djhdjh Member Posts: 1
    In NJ...looking for rates and figures for 36 mos, 15K/yr $0 down on a $37,913 MSRP

Thanks for any help dealer offering $436
    Just ordered my 04 X3 today at OpenRoad BMW in Edison NJ.

money factor .00070
    residual on 15/k year = 57%

I assumed some numbers for you...
    If he will give you a 3k discount from MSRP, I get your $436 including tax, but you still have a due at signing amount of $1,200 (fees/1st mo payment)

With above discount, thats very close to invoice...
  • tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
    I am looking to purchase an X3 in the next few months and am curious as to what types of prices you all are paying in the DC area (MD/VA)? I have heard $500 over invoice, etc.

Any real life experiences to share? Please also provide dealer name if possible.

Thanks
  • ge88ge88 Member Posts: 14
    At Circle BMW in Shrewsbury,NJ, I leased a x3 with no money down for 397/month (39 months) with 1,300 due at signing (sec dep, 1st payment,bank fee). The MSRP was $37,450
  • qascentqascent Member Posts: 3
    ge88,

can you provide more details on your lease. How many miles per year did you get.
    Thanks.
  • brett4brett4 Member Posts: 4
    I would really appreciate comments and suggestions from you folks out
    there. I have not purchased a new vehicle for over ten years (Acura owner)
    and am very seriously considering the X3. Now, I am working on pulling all
    of the pieces together regarding price. I am in Texas (Houston-area),
    which is part of BMW's "28-state region of the South." I am looking at a
    vehicle on the lot, although it is not exactly what would be my first
    choice - in terms of options, that is. (I can certainly live with it and
    be happy, I just do not want to pay for some features as they have
    minimal-to-no value to me, personally.) I want a standard transmission -
    always driven one - and am finding out there are not a lot of them out
    there - besides the one I have test driven. Given that we are now in the
    4th Quarter and the 2005's are on their way, does anyone have
    recommendations on a reasonable price? That is, price above invoice to
    offer? I have seen several posts stating $500 over invoice as a going
    rate. Is this applicable in October / November? In the southeast US?
    (Not so surprisingly, the dealer feels 5-7% is a bargain...) How do you
    then price the options - as in percentage of MSRP for each item? Also,
    what are thoughts on the upholstery - leather versus leatherette? I am
    leaning toward leather, even if I have to get it on my own, but have no
    data points on the leatherette. (This is what is available in the model I
    am looking at.) The dealer said I can get leather upholstery made for
    about $1k - and two weeks. One more item that I am somewhat curious about.
    Thus far, I have only visited the dealer and expressed my interest -
    nothing real serious with regard to discussions. They understand what my
    preferences are and, for the most part, are cooperative. However, they
    seem to really be geared to having me order a 2005 exact to my
    specifications rather than giving any strong indication that they want to
    move the 2004's on the lot. I would have thought they would want to make
    room for the '05's at this time of the year. What are thoughts on getting
    a good deal on the 2004's?

Thanks in advance for any insight - any shared experiences are quite
    welcome.
    If you "build" a car on Edmunds (or even KBB, which has a good site for this), you will see the invoice prices for each option, and a total for the car, however you want it equipped.

For an '04, especially manual transmission, I would think $500 over invoice would be a very fair price, and certainly not more than $1000 over invoice.

Before I would shell out for aftermarket leather, I would just live with the leatherette for awhile, and see if it bothers you. Most leatherette buyers don't seem sorry they didn't buy the leather.

5%-7% over invoice seems like more of an '05 price, than an '04.

If you feel like you can cut down the MSRP of an '05, by only getting the options you want, then this might be cost effective. Unfortunately, no one has the '05 prices, yet.

You might not get a "strong indication" of how low they will go on the '04, until you make an offer.. Most BMW dealers like to make you think that they don't really care if you buy the car or not...

Good luck,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• grngardngrngardn Member Posts: 5
    36 Month 12,000 Miles Premium Package with leather, All weather Package,Metallic Paint and xenon lights was given a price of $1,700 out of pocket for security and tax and title stuff and then $513 a month. This is the first time I have tried to negotiated a lease and thought I was getting a good deal but now having second thoughts before I seal the deal. Would someone be so kind to give me feed back. Thanks in advance! I am in the Chicagoland area.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    For leasing questions, go to this topic in Smart Shopper:

Lease Questions-Ask Here
    One thing to keep in mind.. In Illinois, you pay taxes on the whole selling price of the vehicle, even when leasing...

What was the MSRP on that vehicle?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• ge88ge88 Member Posts: 14
    Gascent- We have 10k per year on a 39 month lease.It was a quite simple lease since it was a national BMW promotion. The 2,500 that was required as down payment was added to the lease price to make it 397 incl tax. The payment would have been 311+ tax but we decided that to add it to the payment
  • beemcitybeemcity Member Posts: 50
    Dealer in Dallas, TX is offering: $40K (including delivery to Houston- another 400 bucks), not including TTL for:

X3 3.0i
    Blue Water Metallic
    Premium
    Black Leather/Dark Trim
    Mats
    Xenon
    Privacy Glass
    Satellite Radio Prep

I believe MSRP on KBB is around $43,500. Good deal? That color is a tough to find one in Texas.
    Yes.. good deal..

Offering 1.9% financing?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Either 1.9 or 2.9 most likely. Only reason I hesitating on it is because I can get a similar car in Houston:

X3 3.0i
    Silver Metallice, Gray Leather
    Premium Package
    Automatic Transmission

for $42,045 and deal seems willing to maybe take at least $2k off so is that a better deal?
    I like the Xenon and the Bluewater on the first one.. Are they both automatic?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

What should the buyers goal be? To get the car at invoice before TTL or After TTL? Obviously getting it at invoice after TTL is best, but what should the realistic goal be for a buyer of a car that is coming in with new model year soon?
    Yea both Automatic.
    There really aren't any incentives other than finance or lease incentives..

So, getting the car for dealer invoice (not MSRP) is about as good as you can get.. At those MSRP levels, invoice is about $3500-$3800 under MSRP, so that is about as good as you can hope for.. plus tax on top of that...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

So really if you look at it closely, the first car..
    If you take out the 400 bucks for delivery, the selling price minus TTL is 39,600, invoice on the car acc. to KBB is just about 39,655, so it's really not a bad deal in that perspective. Better than the 2nd car I mentioned which would be around the same price (maybe a bit lower cause it has less options), but why not spend a few hundred extra and get a lot more.
    I agree.. Looks like you are getting at invoice.. Hard to do better than that, unless there is some type of cash incentive, and there isn't.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

So really if you look at it closely, the first car..
    If you take out the 400 bucks for delivery, the selling price minus TTL is 39,600, invoice on the car acc. to KBB is just about 39,655, so it's really not a bad deal in that perspective. Better than the 2nd car I mentioned which would be around the same price (maybe a bit lower cause it has less options), but why not spend a few hundred extra and get a lot more.
  • garrietgarriet Member Posts: 3
    I am negotiating for a X3 3.0 w/ a MSRP of $42,670. 36 months , 12,000 miles per year. No cap. cost payment.

Dealer wants $450 per mo incl taxes.

Is this a good deal considering the 2005's will be out next month?
    Not much change for the X3 2.5

But...

The 3.0 now has moonroof and automatic as no-charge options....

If you get both models with automatic, premium package, moonroof and leather, the 3.0 is only $1400 more than the 2.5 model.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks, but I really want to know if the lease of $450 incl. tax, is good or can it be gotten at this time of the year, end of model yr., for much less.

Tx
    No cap cost reduction, but...

What is the upfront payment?
    Does it include the acquisition fee ($525) or is that rolled into the cap cost?
    What state do you live in, and what is the tax rate?

Do you know the selling price of the car?

$450 sounds fair.. might be able to do a little better, but the answers to those questions will help.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I love in NJ . I don't know the selling price as I negotiated from the bottom up-Lease payment only. It really doesn't matter about the other items.I believe the only items I need to pay are, bank fee,1st mo and sec. dep.

Tx
    With a discount of $3400 from MSRP as an assumption, I come up with $425 + tax. Assuming your tax rate is 6% (?), then $450/mo is really close.. and that is a good price..

At that price, your upfronts should be about $1475 (1st pymt, security, acquisition fee) + registration and/or title fees..

If the upfronts get over $1700, I'd question why they are so high.

If you wish, they can roll the acquisition fee ($525) into the monthly lease price. That will add about $16/mo.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• dimitrissdimitriss Member Posts: 4
    There are a number of dealers in the Los Angeles area, most with service centers. Has anyone had great/horrible experiences with any of them? I don't mind driving to get service, as long as I know it's good.

If you also had the delivery dates and prices for the 2005 X3 models, that would be helpful :-)
    Bought a X3 3.0, Silver/Grey, Premium, Auto, Tint, Xenon, Mats, Lo Jack, Wheel Protection for $41,200 (drive out). Got the 2.9 financing, but the mileage on the car around 1000, concerns me, should I be worried? The dealer told me it was a dealer swap and that was about it.

Do I have any recourse at this point?