Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,753
    If you've taken delivery, it is yours.. no recourse..

After the deal, I just concentrate on enjoying the car.. I wouldn't sweat the 1000 miles..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• beemcitybeemcity Member Posts: 50
    They're delivering it today, but the only reason the mileage concerned me, was that the dealer wasn't able to tell me how it got the mileage, could it have been from the dealer swap?

I know there's not much I can do, I still want the car, but I wanted an explanation moreso.
    Well.. you are certainly entitled to that information.. I'm sure your dealer can tell you where the car is coming from. Most dealer swaps are from within a couple hundred miles.. short enough for the driver to get there and back in one day.. If it was coming from farther than that, then it would probably be trucked....

Obviously, if it has 1000 miles, someone has been driving it.. You'd likely have no way of knowing who that was, or verifying anything they tell you.. I'd make sure the warranty isn't already in effect. I can live with a few miles, but I'd hate to give up any time on my four year warranty.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

They're delivering it today, but the only reason the mileage concerned me, was that the dealer wasn't able to tell me how it got the mileage, could it have been from the dealer swap?

I know there's not much I can do, I still want the car, but I wanted an explanation moreso.
    The warranty 4/50K will added on to the mileage so I get the full warranty. But was the deal I got (see previous message) a good one, given the car had 1000 miles? Is the car still considered new?
    Well.. don't know the MSRP.. and you added extras (lojack, tint, etc)...so it is hard to judge your deal.. I wouldn't worry about it now.. I always assume I got the best deal that I could get...

I really doubt they can give you a 51K mile warranty.. I've never seen it on a BMW.. Ask them to pull a vehicle history report on your car.. It will show you the in-service date and the warranty date and mileage expiration.. That will show you if it is "new" or not. If it already has an in-service date, there is your answer.. If it has a 55K mileage expiration on the warranty, then it has been entered into the demo/service loaner program.

Seriously.. don't sweat it over 1K miles.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

The car will have a in-service date put in as of next week I think, it definitely doesn't have higher mileage expiration, so it's technically a new car then.

Thanks for your help

AAP
  • twhantwhan Member Posts: 45
    Are there new incentives for X3 for October?
    Anyone know? Wasn't able to cut a deal with dealer this month, unfortunately. :(
    Not sure about the financing part, it seems the rates will jump up perhaps, but I am sure a good deal still could be had with the 05's about to come in if they haven't already.
  • passeulpasseul Member Posts: 9
    Yesterday I made a deal with a BMW dealer in NY that I felt good about until buyer's remorse set in...The 2004 X3 3.0 is blue water metallic; has steptronic; premium package; privacy glass.
    I am paying 0 down; I got the 1.9% financing;
    the price I got it at is $40,500 MSRP $42,395). Is that a good price given I just read that 3.0s are being severely discounted? So far I have paid the dealer a $500 deposit so he can get the car for me from the port (it just arrived). But since I haven't signed the paperwork, I can still backout. The alternative is a 2004 Infiniti FX35 in golden sand with both the Tech and Touring packages (that means Bose audio, rear camera, nav system... way more stuff than the X3) for $40K but at 4.6% financing and $400 less on my trade-in as compared at the BMW dealer).
  • jane3jane3 Member Posts: 21
    where did you find the prices for the 2005 X3? the bmwusa website still doesn't list the automatic and moonroof as standard yet....do the dealers tell you it is?
      well, I waited this long for an X3, what is a few more weeks!!
    If you would rather have the X3, I wouldn't back out and switch to another car, just because you think you are leaving a thousand or so on the table..

If you feel that you aren't ready to make a choice right now.. just back out and take a deep breath for a month or so...

Granted, you probably won't be able to find an '04 model then, but since you don't think you are getting that great a deal, anyway... waiting shouldn't hurt much.

Since you are considering the 3.0 model, you might want to wait and get an '05.. You won't be able to get 1.9% financing, but the MSRP is likely to be lower on the new one..

If your only choice is the BMW or the Infiniti.. I vote for the BMW.. naturally..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

They were posted on another forum by a BMW dealer.. The auto and moonroof are no-charge options only on the 3.0 model, not the 2.5

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Kyfdx, many thanks for your reply! Your mention of "leaving a thousand or so on the table" has quintupled my qualms over the deal. If I get to see the 2005 prices for the X3 3.0 before I sign the paperwork, I probably WILL back out. Unfortunately, I never did ask what my $500 deposit was for exactly... And, even more unfortunately, I am feeling pretty guilty. Is it kosher to back out this late? Or is it ok because the sales guy did overcharge me after all...
    1) The sales guy didn't overcharge you.. You agreed to a negotiated price.

2) If you want to back out (and it seems like you do), call them immediately, and tell them you changed your mind. It happens all the time.. though, it might not be too easy to negotiate with this dealer again.

3) It is a lot of money... if you don't feel comfortable with it.. and you aren't under any time pressure, just back off and wait.. and do some more research.

4) No responsible dealer will keep your deposit money...

regards,
    kyfdx

If you give me the exact options on your '04.. I can price an '05 for you.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

'04 X3..

MSRP 42,395
    Invoice $38,855

'05 X3..

MSRP $39,620
    Invoice $36,280

3.0 model with steptronic, premium, privacy glass, metallic paint..

You won't get 1.9% financing... but, even at MSRP, it would make more sense to get a 2005 model.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Kyfdx, thank you! and phew! I feel horribly guilty at backing out, but for a delta of $4K... Well, I hope the dealer's not too miffed to sell me a 2005 X3. Btw, it looks like BMW has extended the 1.9% financing into October.

Would you happen to know when the 2005 X3s will be available?

Toodle-oo
    Passeul
  • brett4brett4 Member Posts: 4
    So folks, when you suggest that deals may be made on '05's, what might they be? Relative to an '04, how much over MSRP would be reasonable for an '05? I am pretty much ready to go with an X3 and am getting prepared to do it at the end of this month (October). Any opinions on to go for a deal on an '04 or go ahead with an '05? What are pros - or cons, if any? Thanks - the posts I read in this area are very informative.
  • ocir1ocir1 Member Posts: 3
    I live in San Francisco,Bay area (tax 8.5%) and got quoted this:
    2004 BMW X3 with premium package, xenon lights, heated seat, leathered seat, auto seat, moonroof.
    MSRP $37795
    36mo lease
    15000 miles/yr
    DownPayment/Drive off: $3700 (including license, registration, etc)
    Monthly $404.95/month (including 8.5% tax)

I am new with the leasing idea, but could you help me and let me know if this is a good deal?

Thank you.
    That is a decent deal.. I would recommend against putting that kind of money upfront.. Take the drive-offs down to $1200 and it will raise the payment up to about $475/mo.

The effective interest rate on the lease is under 2%.. I'd rather keep my money in the bank, and have a higher payment.. If something happens to the car early in the lease, that downpayment goes up in smoke...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    I’m interested in an X3 but am thinking about waiting until next summer or fall. Reasons:

1 - With the upgraded 2.5 and 3.0 engines coming out for 06 I think there will be big discounts on 05s.

2 - I’m not impressed with current prices and the incentive on the 05 3.0 is a sign of things to come IMO.

3 - Since I buy and don’t lease, FMY and the resale of a brand-new model is an issue for me. I want to see this model grow some roots. Accordingly, I think the X3 is better suited to leasing right now but have always felt handcuffed by lease terms.

4 – I think the BMW market is a little volatile. Last year some E-39 5-series buyers got caught paying close to retail while others paid anywhere from 4-6 grand less. I think the days of holding the price line on higher volume BMW production cars is over. BMW reliability and resale is living off the merits of a previous generation of cars that were produced before all of this platform diversity.

Of course if your not too concerned about money, hey, go for it. The 1.9% financing is very attractive and in the end I think the X3 is an awesome small SUV. Handling is amazing and I also like the nonsense-free interior.

BTW, Heard a radio ad this morning for leftover 04 X3s. $284/mo lease, no other details, at least none that I can remember.
    My thoughts:

1) Good possibility

2) I think the 3.0 prices are as low as you will ever see them.. Well-equipped for under $40K, and completely loaded for $43K. That is cheaper than a 330i. (as always, IMHO)

3) For the '04s, leasing is definitely better than buying.. Haven't seen any '05 numbers yet.. Leasing has one big advantage: guaranteed re-sale price.

4) Agreed....volatile.. Not sure if those days are over for good or not, though.. it sure has been good for buyers the last couple of years.

I think they held off on the pricing for the '05 X3s, specifically to get rid of the '04s before the price drop on the 3.0 was common knowledge. Haven't looked in a month or so, but I'd guess pickings are slim for leftover '04s now.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• twhantwhan Member Posts: 45
    What do you think is a good price for 05 X3 2.5?
    I didn't find a 04 with the only options I want. Dealers quote 200 over invoice for every 04s. But they are all loaded or strippers. I don't think loaded 2.5 are good deal at all since they are just 1K less than 05 3.0. But I don't want a stripper either. Do you know anyone order 05? Thank you!
    Well, I did back out of the deal (if you recall I was about to buy an '04 X3 3.0 (steptronic, premier, privacy glass, metallic) for 40,500 at 1.9% financing, 0 down. The salesman was very gracious; said he has also just learnt that the 3.0 prices had been revised down for '05. So I now have the option of either buying an '05 or negotiating a lower price for the '04.

What would be a reasonable offer for the '04? Kyfdx, any thoughts on this? The invoice price for a comparable '05 (as you had mentioned) was $36,280. But with depreciation numbers lurking in the background, and the 1.9% financing beckoning up ahead, my head is spinning. Any insights will be mucho appreciated.
    Best,
    mem-SAAB
    Unless there is some incentive money that became available on the '04, once the '05 prices were announced, I'd be surprised if they can even make you an acceptable deal on the '04.

If you are buying, rather than leasing... I'd go with an '05 either way... That '04 would have to come down to under $37K to make any kind of sense...

If you were interested in a lightly optioned 2.5, then my advice would be different.... but for a 3.0 with step and premium, I don't know how they are going to make it work... Now, we know why they were holding off on announcing prices.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

By golly, that was pretty devious of BMW! One's gotta commiserate with those who bought their X3s late Sept (as I almost did).

Many thanks kyfdx!

And now to start the whole car-buying dance again; but better armed (to mix metaphors).

Cheers-
    memSAAB
  • redwood1redwood1 Member Posts: 8
    Hi,
    I would greatly appreciate your help - Is this a good deal? I think the numbers don't add up. I looked into leasing a 2004 X3 2.5i with heated seats, sunroof, and automatic; 36 mo. and 12,000 miles. What is the current residual, money factor and acquisition fee? They were asking for $3100 down; and 394 a month for a 36 month, 10,000 miles. Thank you in advance for your help.

I got a quote from a VA dealer and the numbers don't quite add up.
    MSRP: 34595
    Residual: 60%
    Term: 36
    Money Factor: .00110
    Selling PRice: 32500
    Less Cap Red. 1709.02
    Down Payment: 3100
    Acquisition Fee: 725
    Adds to cap cost: 725
    NEt Cap cost: 31581
    You are right it doesn't add up..

1) $3100 isn't your downpayment.. it is your due at signing.. The cap reduction of $1709 is the "downpayment".

2) The only thing that looks decent on this deal is the selling price..$2100 off MSRP seems reasonable.

3) Using their MF of .0011 and residual of 60%, I come up with a payment of $309 + tax.. Not sure how they get to $394 from there.. Also, about $1400 upfront ($3100 - $1709).. About $800 for 1st payment and security.. That leaves $600 for title, licensing? or garbage fees?

4) They have jacked up the MF (base MF is .0007) and the acquisition fee (base is $525).. Just those two increases add $26/mo.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

This is what I would like to see:

MSRP: 34595
    Residual: 60%
    Term: 36
    Money Factor: .0007
    Selling PRice: 32500
    Less Cap Red. $zero
    Due at signing: $1000 approx.
    Acquisition Fee: $525
    Adds to cap cost: $525
    NEt Cap cost: $33025

Payment $378/mo. + tax.. Due at signing 1st pymt, security deposit + license, title.

Subtract 1% from the residual for 12K per year.. That will add about $10/mo to the payment.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

All those numbers are from September.. I'm assuming they haven't changed, until I see differently....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• dimitrissdimitriss Member Posts: 4
    Kydfx,

do you have the link or the base prices for either model? 2.5 or 3.0?

Thx

D.
    Can't link it here.. it is on another forum.. that is against Town Hall rules..

I think the base prices have stayed the same from '04 to '05.. From memory....

X3 2.5 base is 30,300 + 695 dest = $30,995
    X3 3.0 base is 36.300 + 695 dest = $36,995

The big changes are in the option prices for the 3.0 model.. Moonroof is standard, bringing the price for the premium package down to $1800, and steptronic is also standard, knocking $1275 off.. Those two changes alone have brought the 3.0 with automatic and premium package down over $2500 from a comparably equipped '04 model.

I think most 2.5 prices are exactly the same.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

OK, let me get this straight:

the 2.5 with step, parorama, cruise, power seats, foglights and on board computer comes out to and MSRP of $34,655 (04 prices)

the 3.0 with step, panorama and all of the above standard, comes in at "only" $2,340 more?

That's $4.7/cc or $57/HP...
    Am I missing something?
    Without looking it up.. that is pretty close..

$6K difference in base price.

$2K-$3K difference if loaded up.

regards,
    kyfdx

P.S.: If you are familiar with BMW pricing, this is as cheap as you can get an engine upgrade.. Sounds expensive, I know.. but, usually the spread is at least $4K.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

$57 per HP sounds like a lot, but would you want the X3 2.5 for $5700 less, if it only had 84 HP?

Not me...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• pjo1966pjo1966 Member Posts: 157
    I have a question...

I remember going to the Los Angeles Auto Show in January and thinking that the X3 seemed cheaply made. I drove one this weekend and didn't think it was too bad. Have there been any changes at all between then and the 2004's that are currently on showroom floors? It just seemed more solid than before.
    At this price, I can even convince the wife that the extra HP are worth the $$ :-)
  • parniparni Member Posts: 14
    Hi Kyfdx, I have been reading a lot of your posts and figured that I will direct this question to you,
    I am looking at buying a x3 2.5 and came across this used x3 with 900 miles at an independent BWM used car dealer. the car has Prem Package, Cold weather, steptronic, in-dash-cd player, privacy glass, and satellite pre-wire. The invoice for a similar equiped NEW car comes upto 33520 (without destination). The dealer wants 33950 for the used one, what do you think? is this a fair price considering that it has been previously titled and has about 900 miles. How much do you think i can negotiate the price down to? I cant get any depreciation figures for a car this new anywhere online. Also does the "full maintenance for 4 years or 50k miles" tranfer to me being the second owner? Please let me know .
    Thx
    parni
    The only thing I can tell you for sure: The warranty and maintenance do transfer to you, or anyone you sell it to.

Did he say how he came by the car? I would assume he bought it at auction. Before I would buy it, I would get the VIN# and have the local BMW dealer pull a vehicle history report. That will tell you if it is a buy-back or if it has had serious mechanical problems already.

The one thing that won't tell you.. is if there is body damage. I would want the car looked at really closely, by a professional..

If everything checks out, I think you'd want to pay at least $1000 less than what they are offering.. You are giving up time as well as mileage on the warranty.

Assuming you could find one like it, you could buy a new '04 for about $500-$800 more than they are asking.

Really low-mileage, almost new cars bother me.. especially if not at the BMW dealer.. I always wonder why?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Hi Kyfdx, I have been reading a lot of your posts and figured that I will direct this question to you,
    I am looking at buying a x3 2.5 and came across this used x3 with 900 miles at an independent BWM used car dealer. the car has Prem Package, Cold weather, steptronic, in-dash-cd player, privacy glass, and satellite pre-wire. The invoice for a similar equiped NEW car comes upto 33520 (without destination). The dealer wants 33950 for the used one, what do you think? is this a fair price considering that it has been previously titled and has about 900 miles. How much do you think i can negotiate the price down to? I cant get any depreciation figures for a car this new anywhere online. Also does the "full maintenance for 4 years or 50k miles" tranfer to me being the second owner? Please let me know .
    Thx
    parni
    I ran the vin on "autocheck" and it came out clean. except with one Lien on it.
    Hi tenet, Did you end up buying one? I live in the same area and would like to know your experiences as I am in the market for an x3.
    1) Call a BMW dealership and ask for the service department.. ask to speak to a service advisor.. Or, just drop in and talk to one of them.. Most are helpful.. After all, you will be bringing the car to them for the "free" maintenance.

2) The website looks impressive.. If they truly inspect each car and disclose all body work, that would be great.

3) A lien being filed on the car likely means it has been sold to an individual at some time.. My question would be: Why did they get rid of a car with less than 1K miles?. That might be hard to find out.

4) For another $3K, you could probably buy a new '05. That is a significant amount, but you would probably see it come back at trade-in.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• volaravolara Member Posts: 5
    Just placed an order (boston area) for 05' X3 3.0
    as follows:premium,automatic,xenon,navigation,heated front seats,satellite prep,privacy glass,leather,folding mirrors, metallic grey.
    $40750.
    Would appreciate opinions.
    Volara.
    Hi Kyfdx, I haven't been able to find 05 prices for the X3 3.0. Do you have the invoice #s for the following (and also what I can expect to pay in Westchester County, NY)?

Metallic (either blue water or mystic)
    Panoramic sunroof & auto (standard, I am told)
    Xenon
    Park distance control
    Cargo Net
    Premium sound
    Heated seats
    I'd also say premium package except I don't know what's included in it given that the sunroof is std.

many thanks,
    memSAAB
    Hi Volara, just saw your post. I am looking for a similar (but not identical) car. I was wondering if you could tell me what's included in the premium package... Also how much over invoice and under msrp is the $40,750? Does that number include destination charge/title/tax?

Best,
    memSAAB
  • volaravolara Member Posts: 5
    The price includes only destination. Other than that I really do not know much. It came out like this;
    I was about to place an order for identically equipped 05' X3 2.5 and agreed on $40100. Next day I called my salesman and asked him to run numbers for 3.0 with the same equipment and was amazed to learn that their best price for me would be $40,750.It seemed that that was a surprise for the young sales rep also.I grabbed the deal and now I wander whether I could get even better deal.But, what the hell it sounds good enough for me.
    regards, Volara.
  • erma106erma106 Member Posts: 2
    I am considering signing a lease tomorrow for an automatic, moonroof, and foglights 2004 x3 2.5 (msrp $33,850). The dealer quoted $355/month (not including tax) for 36 months, 10K miles/year, $0 due at signing. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A midwestern newspaper would like to talk with someone who, in the past month, bought a luxury vehicle (other than a Lexus) for which minimal incentives were available. Please reply to jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, October 8, 2004 with your daytime contact info and a few words about your purchase decision.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

That is a good deal.. Under $400/mo. including tax.. If that is the car you want, I'd grab it.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator