Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,826
    MSRP = $40,295
    Invoice = $36,890

Premium package on the 3.0 includes leather, lumbar support for the front seats, BMW assist, and auto-dimming rearview mirror.

That adds $1800 to MSRP and $1640 to invoice.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• passeulpasseul Member Posts: 9
    Hi Kyfdx, late september the dealer had offered me a 2004 x3 3.0 at 40,500 which at 1.9% financing and trade-in, came out at monthly payments of just under $700. Thanks mostly to you and this forum, I got out of that deal just in time. Now we are talking 2005 models. For the same value of trade-in, financing at a higher 4.75%, he's offered to get me a car with the same monthly payments.

From everything I have read, monthly payments are the worst way to negotiate a car deal from the buyers perspective and that it is better to focus on the price of the car. Would that be true in this instance give that the trade-in value and the financing numbers are pretty much non-negotiable (with this dealer at least)?

For the 2005 x3 3.0s is $1500 off MSRP a good deal (it works out to be the same as 5% over invoice)?
  • jane3jane3 Member Posts: 21
    Hi volara, which Boston area dealer did you go to? that price and options are very good. I heard the 2005 have automatic and moonroof are included now? is that true? That package is what I am lookin for (save the satellite prep).. I wasn't crazy about xenon, but for around 40G, I could go for it.
       Did you buy or lease?
    jane
    Monthly payments can be a bad way to negotiate.. Because the dealer can change other terms of the deal to get more money... like lengthening the term of the loan..

But, he is telling you the sale price of the car ($1500 off MSRP), and it should be relatively easy to read the contract and make sure everything else looks normal.

If you were just under $700/mo at 1.9% before, you were financing $40,000.

To get the same payment at 4.75% for 60 months, you will be financing $37,300 or less, so that is the number I would look for.

The sale price looks okay for an '05.. He might even have to give a little more off than that, to hit that $700 number.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• newbmrnewbmr Member Posts: 26
    MSRP: $43,045
    Invoice: $39,405

So your deal works out to $1,345 over invoice or $2,295 off MSRP. As noted earlier, the biggest relief comes in the way of price reduction in Prem. Pkg. (Leather is included in the pkg.)

An '05 3.0 is certainly more attractive now.

Regards,
    newbmr

*Maco charges were not included in this computation and could add additional $200-$300 to invoice.
  • twhantwhan Member Posts: 45
    I plan to order a 2005. I don't have previous experience of ordering a car. But I did get screwed or fooled by dealers a couple of times. I really have some concerns
    Can anyone help on the following questions?
    1) Do I need to put deposit? If my financal situation changes later on, is the deposit refundable if I want to cancel the order?
    2) If the car arrives but has issues such as noise, broken parts, can I cancel the purchase at that time?
    3) How to guarantee the price? If the dealer has agreed XXX over invoice, how to make sure the offer doesn't change when the car is delivered.
    4) For people who has ordered the car, how long does it for the order to be processed and for the car to be shipped?

Thanks a lot!
  • lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
    please be careful here. We do not allow links to dealer sites. Thanks,
  • tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
    1) Generally a $500 deposit is normal if you are ordering your car, and yes it is refundable at any time prior to purchase
    2) You can walk away from the purchase if you havent signed the paperwork. It is unlikely that u will find broken parts upon delivery.
    3) Get the deal in writing and make sure that the deal is the same on the paperwork you are signing.
    4)4-10 weeks, depending on which stage your car was in when u ordered.
  • spencercatspencercat Member Posts: 2
    kyfdx:

It's probably too late for me to switch to a 2005, but I was wondering what my deal would be. I have agreed to lease a 2004 3.0 with premium and privacy glass (and manual tranny) for $474 in CT (6% tax). $1183 drive away. MSRP was $41,120, and I figure the invoice was ~$37,000.

At the time I thought I was getting a good deal, but I'm wondering if that's true, as I would rather have an '05, all else being equal.

BTW, I just got a quote of $567/month for a similarly equipped '05 (incl. 6% tax), with an MSRP of $39,145.

Thanks!

Spencercat
  • davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    Spencercat, kyfdx should be the authority on this but I was quoted $438/mo/10K including tax on an X3 with MSRP of 43K. I am in NJ and the tax is 6% so that should give you some idea. I can't say whether or not you should take the '04 deal but '05 deal seems really high. Just my opinion.
    Since you are leasing, I would stick with the '04. Part of the price drop in the '05 is a no-charge steptronic transmission.. That obviously won't help you.

The money factors are incredibly low on the '04s, plus they still have a very strong residual.. that adds up to low lease prices..

The '05 money factor will definitely be higher, and as you can see.. they are quoting a much higher lease price.

And, you are leasing.. so whether you have '04 or '05 really shouldn't matter..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• rgrantrgrant Member Posts: 1
    I recently was at the Clearlake TX Advantage BMW Dealership negotiating a deal in good faith for a BMW X3 3.0. After negotiating to $42K including options the (1) dealer wanted me to absorb shipping fee of $400 to get vehicle transported from another dealership in addition to $695 Destination Charge. (2) Offered a salvage price of $5000 for a mint condition original owner 99 Loaded Toyota Avalon (3) Then after I already had approval on the "special" %1.9 they came back with %2.9 because " They had to find the car for me" in addition to the $400. Its unfortunate the salesman did his part but the back room financing and appraisers are nothing more than scam artists, this is what you would expect to find at Buddy Buy Rites Autos NOT a BMW Dealership!
  • parniparni Member Posts: 14
    ok, sorry
    Hi Kyfdx,
    Decided to go with a new one,04, 2.5 with PP, AT,heated seats, privacy glass and metalic black, the invoice for which comes to 34305 (destination Incl), from what I read here I was willing to close at 450 above invoice. But dealer said invoice + dealer prep ($500) was his actual cost of the vehicle and was willing to give at the car 500 over that (invoice+dealer prep+500). Is this normal? or should I negotiate harder and wait till he calls me.....
    The dealer prep, training, etc.. is all included in the invoice price you calculate here on edmunds or KBB. About the only thing that could be extra on his invoice is MACO, which is an advertising fee.. However, if you are at $1K over Edmunds invoice, that is still a fair deal.. Are you buying or leasing? If buying, I believe they still have the 1.9% financing.

If this is the car you want, go in and be ready to buy.. offer a few hundred less than his last price... if it works, great.. if not, you still got a decent deal on the car you want. '04s will disappear at some point.. You can't wait for too much longer, unless you want to start over dealing on an '05.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Hi, the dealers final price is 33705, which is 400 over invoice. but he says Mats are 100 extra! plus 299 processing fee. I think this is ridiculous. any thoughts????
    Unbelievably, mats are NOT included on a BMW.. Some people get them to throw them into the deal.. Even if you add everything up, you are still only $800 over invoice...

Notice how the price keeps changing until you sign the check? Nothing ever surprises me at a car dealership....

Seems like a decent deal overall.. are you financing or leasing?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• zoranzoran Member Posts: 69
    IMHO, among top Luxry cars!!

BMW dealers are the worst ever in their customer treatment and dodgy . I am afraid going to them..lol
  • pjo1966pjo1966 Member Posts: 157
    You think BMW is bad, you should try Infiniti. They flat out lied to me.
    Hi Kyfdx,
    I am financing, got 2.9, here aare the details
    2.5, A/T, PP, Heated seats, Privacy glass, Metalic Black, 400 over invoice plus 299 processing, put 5K down comes to about 560/month. I will go to pepboys for the mats. thx for all your help. didnt buy any of the dealer offered crap like addnl Ex W, Lowjack, rim damage, GAP etc........
    Congratulations!!

You did pretty well.. now, go drive it!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Since I'm planning on leasing a 3.0, would it make more sense to go with an '04 or wait for the '05? I understand that the '05 has the sunroof and automatic as no charge options plus the upgraded dash material, but they are really dealing on the '04's.
    It is hard to tell what will be the better lease deal.. The '04 X3 3.0 has a MF of .0005 and a residual of 57% for the 36mo/45K lease.. Those would definitely make the '04 a better lease deal than the '05, if it weren't for the lower MSRP in '05.

Let me hash around some numbers and see what I can "guess" the difference will be.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

To simplify things.. I compared X3 3.0 from '04 to '05... with the following options:

Steptronic
    Premium pkg (including moonroof)
    Sport pkg
    Cold Weather pkg

'04 X3 3.0
    MSRP $43,820
    invoice $40,155
    Selling price: $40,655 (invoice + $500)
    MF .0005
    residual 3yr/45K lease = 57%
    Payment = $471/mo. + tax
    upfront = 1st pmt, security, acquisition fee

'05 X3 3.0
    MSRP $41,045
    invoice $37,580
    Selling price: $39,545 (MSRP - $1500)
    MF .0018 (guessing..has to be close)
    residual 3yr/45K lease = 59% (guessing again)
    Payment = $542/mo. + tax
    upfront = 1st pmt, security, acquisition fee

As you can see, the lease incentives on the '04 make up for the lower MSRP on the '05.

I don't know the exact lease variables on the '05, but I'm pretty sure my assumptions are close.. Even if you negotiate a worse deal on the '04, and a better one on the '05, the numbers will never come within $30/mo. The only way it would get closer is if the residual on the '05s are much higher than what I assumed (like 5% higher).

So, if you are leasing, and fairly confident of turning the car in at the end of lease... then the '04 is always going to be a better deal.. If you are leasing for sure, you better get out there and make a deal.. at some point, lease incentives end, and the only way to get a good deal on an '04 is to buy it.

Hope this helps,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Yes... that definitely helps. I need to get moving if I'm going to get something now. My situation may dictate that I wait until February or early March. IIRC, there are usually lease deals then as well. Hopefully if I can't act right now I'll have a chance for a deal then.
    One word of warning.. I wouldn't wait until November, if you are going to get an '04. BMW tends to end lease programs with little notice.

If getting an '05, I would definitely wait if you can..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Do you think that the lease deals in Feb/March on an '05 would end up being comparable to what I would pay now for a similarly equipped '04? Your best guess would be appreciated...
    My best guess wouldn't be very good.. I feel pretty sure they will be better than the current deals on '05s... But, what they might be in relation to what you can get now on '04s? No clue....

But, if you are leasing.. there is no point in getting a car before you need it.. A few weeks or a month is negligible, but if your time frame is months away, no point in worrying about what the deals are now. If you are flexible, there will always be a deal on something later.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Do you think that the lease deals in Feb/March on an '05 would end up being comparable to what I would pay now for a similarly equipped '04? Your best guess would be appreciated...
    Sorry for the duplicate message...

I would prefer to do this sooner rather than later. I will probably be paying a good chunk of change to get out of my current lease. Whether I do it now or after I get my tax refund is completely dependant on exactly how much I will be paying out of pocket to get out of this lease. That's why I'm researching now. If I find out I can do it now I want to be prepared...

Thanks for your help.
  • viervillevierville Member Posts: 5
    I am in the process purchasing an X3 3.0 with Premium Package, Zenon, privacy rear windows, leather, heated seats. I live in the Washington DC area. A local dealership quotes me $43K for the car - I don't believe this is a good deal at all. Could anyone comment on this? Thanks.
  • passeulpasseul Member Posts: 9
    I was quoted prices 3 ways for a 2005 X3 3.0 (in Westchester county, NY):

$38,000 w/Xenon,Park Dist,Privacy glss,Cargo net

$39,770 for above + nav (or premium but not both)

$41,500 for above + premium

I think I can bring the price down a bit more since I am not in any real hurry. Besides, I am still dithering 'coz a Lexus dealership I had visited late Sept decided to get proactive and offer me a great price on a 2005 loaded RX330. Sigh. Talk about indecisions. Well, at least I know who I am voting for ;-)
  • bmwksrbmwksr Member Posts: 5
    This request is for kyfdx:

I am planning to buy a used BMW X3 3.0 and no experience in buying used cars. help me with the pricing.

1. Used BMW X4 3.0, premium pkg, privacy glass and 11000 miles on it. What price might be reasonable to pay?
    2. This car is in some other place,if it is BMW certified is it reasonable to purchase the car without looking or driving it? i would like to trust the sales person but all my friends are warning me. please advise.
    Is it at a BMW dealer? If so, ask him to fax you the vehicle history report and a CARFAX. The vehicle history report will have the warranty expiration date, options on the car, and any service done on it..

I really have no idea on price.. I would try to compare it to what you could buy a brand-new '04 for.. and subtract at least $4K-$5K.

If it is CPO, the only thing I would worry about is previous accident history.. I still wouldn't buy long distance and have it shipped.. I would fly in and drive it back.. and reserve the right to cancel the deal upon inspection of the car.

How far away is the car?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Hello kyfdx,
    Thanks for your prompt response and advise.

1. yes..this is owned by a BMW dealer. I checked Car fax with the vin number and no accident reports are there.

2. yes it has a CPO. She said it is a Demo extension warranty and CPO. it is 1500 miles away from me.

3. What might be the price..2004 x3, with premium package, privacy glass and 11000 miles. she is asking 36K.

Will await for your advise.
    My first inclination.. The price is a little high.. A brand new '05 would only MSRP for about $41K.. Granted, you can't buy it for $36K, and it won't have the extended warranty, but it would be brand-new and one model year newer, as well.

I'm not necessarily against going out of town to find a car (I've done it myself), but 1500 miles is a long way.. Too far to fly in and get it home the same day.. Almost too far to make it home the next day. If you have to pay to have it shipped, that is even more money..

Buying a new car from halfway across the country is one thing.. New cars are basically all the same... but, buying a used car without being able to drive and see it first...

I think I would pass on this deal.. Not worth going that far unless it is a screaming deal.. Unless you have a short time-frame, you might wait until there are plenty of '05s on the lot and then shop around...

Just my $0.02.... I've been wrong before.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks and I planned to let it go. I found one more and is a similar one and following are the details.

1. BMW dealer, 2004 X3 3.0, premium package,privacy glass, metallic

2.mileage:7000, asking price $35K, CPO vehicle.

3. Again the deal is it is 1800 miles from my place.

4. I checked the Carfax, No scary things on the report

and...will follow the routine. will await for your advise.

Thanks alot for your help.
    Here's a deal I was offered. It doesn't seem to add up...

2004 X3 3.0
    Steptronic
    Leatherette
    Metallic Paint
    Privacy Glass

MSRP $41,245
    Residual 59%
    Residual Value $24,334.55
    Cap Cost $38,740
    Cash Cap Reduction $4958.12
    Trade Allowance $-7758
    Bank Fee $725
    Adjusted Cap Cost $42,264
    Term 36
    Rate .00065
    Total Monthly Payment $586.00
    Base Monthly Payment $541.34
    Cap reduct Tax 8.25% $409.04
    Use Tax $ 8.25% $ 44.66
    DMV Fee $307
    CA Tire Fee $5
    Customer Cash Down $6265.16

They swore up and down that they were not rolling negative equity into the loan, but it just doesn't add up. I know it's a bad deal just because the difference that would need to be paid to get out of my current lease would not be justified by the total monthly payment, which would be identical to my current lease payments. I was just wondering how they came up with these figures. My payoff is $35,250 and they said they could offer me $28,000.

Thanks...
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    I'm not a leasing expert, but I think they can argue that they're not putting negative equity in the new deal by virtue of your "cash down" being approximately equal to the "trade allowance". I don't know if it is a good deal or not, but the numbers look kosher to me.

- Mark
    Trade allowance: -$7758
    Cap cost reduction: $4950

You are paying $4950 of your negative equity off and they are rolling the other $2800 into your lease..

Is your current vehicle leased or do you own it? Unless you are just dying to get out of it, I'd keep driving it.. That is a big hunk to swallow.

Also, it looks like they are bumping up the money factor in lieu of a security deposit.. In the long run, you are better off making the security deposit and using the base MF (.0005).

Their numbers look accurate on the lease, but you are paying $7758 to get out of your current car.. I just wouldn't do that, but that is up to you.. Bargain hard.. if you are going to do this, every dollar you save is going straight into your pocket..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

1800 miles!! Jeepers, where do you live, Alaska?

I like the low mileage... Again, have them fax you the BMW vehicle history report.. There are a lot of things that don't show up on a Carfax, but if they have done any maintenance or mechanical work, it will show up on the BMW report.

Seriously, how far away is the closest BMW dealer?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I don't understand why people feel the need to lie. I told them up front and several times thereafter that if the gap between what I owed and what I could get was too great I would have to wait. Under no circumstances did I want to roll negative equity into a new loan. They swore they were not doing that.

In answer to your question, kyfdx, It's a 5 year lease... a big mistake that I'm trying to get out of. Now that I know that the trade-in is going to be too expensive I'm attempting to sell it privately to close that gap.
    It must be a fairly new car... If you drive it a couple of years, the amount to get out of it may be less.. Getting out of a bad deal is sometimes more expensive than just completing it.

But, if you can get more $$ by selling it yourself, then that is the way to go... If not, eventually you will break even (when the lease is up).

Good luck,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

It's a 1-year old red Infiniti FX35. I have many reasons for wanting out of the deal, all of them having to do with the company. If I can make it work I'll move ahead. If not... I'm still driving a great car.

kyfdx...could you please give me an idea of what my payments should be for the following...

2004 BMW X3 3.0
    Panoramic Sunroof
    Metallic Paint
    Steptronic
    Leather
    Premium Sound
    Satellite Prep.

I'd like to put as little down as possible, just first payment and whatever fees would be due for leasing in Los Angeles.

Thanks again for your help and input.
    Give me the MSRP

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I knew I forgot something...

MSRP $41,125
    I'll assume a similar discount to the example you gave above..

MSRP $42,125
    Selling price $38,600
    Cap cost $39,125 (selliing price plus Acq.fee)
    Residual 59% (36mo/36K)
    Money factor .0005
    Payment approx $446 + tax (approx. $37) = $483/mo.
    Due at signing: 1st payment, security deposit, title and license.. Should be around $1200-$1300

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Perfect... thanks.
    Hi kyfdx,

I live in colorado and the vehicle is in Newyork area. so..it is 1800 miles.

I received vehicle history and it is only one page with the details of the car and warranty. No items of maintenance or none so ever.

A BMW dealer is located 10 miles from my home.

I am having limited dough..so..i have to buy it with in that range ( 34k is my budget).

If i see the edmunds.com...then the invoice price for x3 3.0 is $33195+ Premium pkg price $1800 +privacy $345 + metallic paint $475 =$35815)

so..it make sense to get a new one..if they give it for the invoice price.

what is your view on this?
    You probably won't find one for invoice.. Figure closer to $37.5K-$38K for a new '05.

For a car with only 7K miles, it might not have had any maintenance yet.. 1st maintenance is scheduled for 15K miles..

Unless you are in a hurry, I'd wait for one to show up closer to home... Some place where you could drive it home in a day.. or get there and back to check it out on a Saturday..

No point in over-paying for an '04, just because it fits your budget... As the year goes on, you'll see more and more used '04s.. They have only been on sale since January.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator