Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• zhouzhou Member Posts: 8
    I test drove an X3 today and like it. The dealer told me that if I trade in my old car I can save the tax on the trade in value. I remembered that you guys recommend not to put any down payment or trade in because you can get that part of money back if the car is totaled or stolen. But the dealer said that portion is covered by the BMW gap insurance. Is that true?
    You guys also mentioned that 3.0 has better lease deal. I know 3.0 has more standard options. are those lease rates different between 3.0 and 2.5?

Thanks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Gap insurance won't give you your downpayment back... It is designed to payoff the bank, in case the value of the totaled vehicle is lower than the outstanding balance owed... If you make a large downpayment, then that won't be the case, and you'll just end up losing it, in case of a total or theft..

You can still trade-in, and get the tax credit without putting the money down on the lease.. Just ask them to cut you a check for your car on trade-in, then write them a check for the upfront cost of the lease...

The lease rates are better on the 3.0 model.. It isn't just the higher level of equipment..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Kyfdx, thanks for the info. I'm in Washington state. I think the lease tax here is calculated based on the monthly payment. If I don't put down the trade in, the monthly payment won't change. How can I get the tax credit then? or the dealer can directly deduct the tax credit from the cap cost?

Thanks.
    First.. I'm not intimately familiar with the tax laws of Washington..

Is there truly a tax credit on trade-ins? Or are they just saying the tax on the payment will be less, if you use your trade-in for a big downpayment?

Because, if it is the latter, most states that tax the lease payment, also tax any downpayment you make on the lease.. So, it would be a wash..

Making large downpayments on leases is never a good idea... Too many things can happen.. and almost all of them are negative.. If the only way to get the tax credit is to put all of the trade-in allowance on the lease, I'd just forego that credit..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• schmebischmebi Member Posts: 4
    Can someone tell me if this is a good deal on the X3? I am considering ordering a bare bones 2.5i manual with the following:

sunroof
    heated front seats
    foglights

MSRP: 33,100
    Negotiated: 30,592
    Money fact: .00215
    Residual: 59%
    Term: 36 mos.
    12K miles
    $415/mo
    $1800 due at signing

What I would really like is to be at 1400 due at signing and 400/mo. Am I crazy? Will BMW finance lower the money factor to at least hit the 400/mo?

Thanks!
    1) The selling price looks good.

2) They are marking up the money factor the maximum .0004 and also bumping it .00015 to account for no security deposit..

3) Not sure how your $1800 upfront breaks down.. I'm guessing $415 1st pymt, $825 acquisition fee (marked up $200).. That leaves $560.. No security deposit, so is that tax? Bogus dealer fees? The $415/mo. can't include taxes, so that has to be somewhere... unless they are adding into your payment? Did they say $415/mo.+tax..

Should look like this..

$33,100 MSRP
    $30,592 Selling price
    $31,217 Cap cost (selling price + $625 acq.fee)
    3yr/36K lease
    Residual 59%
    Money factor .0016 (base rate)

Payment $406/mo.+ tax

Due at signing: 1st payment, security deposit.. title, license, etc.. (approx. $1000-$1200)

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• bmx3bmx3 Member Posts: 1
    -MSRP X3 3.0**$37,070 (Only includes sat prep radio and automatic which I thought was standard)
    -Negotiated price $36,300 (I think this is too high)
    -Term 12K/36months
    -MF .00155 (Is this the current May rate from BMWFS or is it marked up by dealer?)
    -Residual 60%
    -Acq fee $750 (should be $625)
    -Lic fee/title fee/state insp fee/vehicle inv. fee/doc fee $272.30
    -State sales tax $2268.75
    -Total due at signing including 1st month payment, all fees, sales tax around $3300
    -Total monthly payment $494

**Please critique this deal!! I will probably try to get dealer down to $35,000 on price, and ask for whatever BMFS rate is for MF, if the one they offered is not the same.
    1) Automatic is a "no cost" option, not standard..

2) Selling price stinks.. even at this low an MSRP, about $1000 too high..

3) Base MF is .0010.. they are marking it up the maximum, plus adding on for security deposit waiver..

4) You are right about the acq.fee..

5) The residual is 61%

If you assume a selling price of $35K, use the base money factor and residual of .0010 and 61%.. Roll the taxes and the $625 acq.fee into the payment, you get a payment of $485/mo... With just 1st payment and fee of $272.30 and security deposit due at signing.. (Approx. $1260 total)

Hope this helps..
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Kyfdx, thanks for the reply.
    This is the first time I'm leasing a car. So I'm not very clear of the tax caculation here either. The dealer told me the tax is caculated on the monthly payment. So if I trade in my old car, my monthly payment would be smaller so I pay less tax. This how I understand. As you pointed out, putting down a huge down payment is not a good idea in leasing. I was just a little bit confused of your last post of "tade in but get credit withough putting the money down."
    Thanks again for your help.
  • schmebischmebi Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the info.

Did the deal tonight and actually got what I wanted.

We ordered the car and the deal was as follows:

$1480 due at signing (1st months, tax & tags)
    400.00/month
    36 months
    12K miles/yr

Thanks again for the input...
    Almost every place that taxes the monthly payment, also taxes any cap cost reduction (aka downpayment)..

In other words, the state isn't going to be screwed out of $800, because you decide to make a $10K downpayment on a lease... They will also tax that $10K downpayment..

This is kind of a separate issue from getting a tax credit for trading a car in..

And, not being from Washington, I can't say exactly how it works there... But, whether you use all of the proceeds from your trade-in as a downpayment, or whether they cut you a check for the amount, and you put nothing down... shouldn't affect the total sales tax that you pay.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Good job...

Now, you just have to wait...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    It is a free country, after all. Putting money down on a lease is generally a "false" investment or economy. But if you want to buy down the monthly payment, up front money will certainly do that. I guess if you thought you might -- naw, I really can't come up with a reason to put money up front.

In Ohio we have to pay the TAX UP FRONT -- some states allow the addition of tax on a monthly basis, here we just pony up the full amount at the time of the inception of the lease. I guess you could rationalize this and pay the sales tax as a "down payment," rather than rolling it into the lease.

Pay now or pay later. Sometimes paying later means paying more dearly. Don't know the rules in Wa., though.

Ultimately leasing is nothing more than a way to borrow money (often subvented) and pay for the depreciation of a vehicle. Theoretically a subvented lease (low money factors and high residuals courtesy of the finance arm of the mfg.) is a pretty good way to use a car for up to 39 months (or less) and not have to put up with the plummeting "equity" situation when you are ready for the next vehicle.

Of course if you can buy a car at 0% interest and keep it until it is "dead," that would be (in theory) the best of all possible worlds. What does dead mean, then becomes the question.

My neighbor routinely puts $5,000 in "maintenance" into his 1997 Chevy Suburban every year. I often wondered what it would cost to have a "permanent" lease payment of about $400 per month instead (or what would he get, instead, perhaps better said). It would seem that a newer tech vehicle might also carry with it some economy, safety and comfort features that this 8 year old baby cannot compete with.

"Yeah, but I don't have a car payment," says he. Then the entire ABS system goes south, new brakes, tires and an alignment come due and then 6 months later the A/C goes south and several power window motors go on the fritz -- explain again how you have no car payment?

Me, I like the current "gizmos" that cars come with -- so keeping a car more than 3 model years is "not very interesting."
  • gwenjeangwenjean Member Posts: 4
    This is my first time buying a bmw and I think this is a good price but not sure?
    The Dealer quoted me $37,830 on a X3 3.0I
    Edmunds shows TMV = $40,819 and MSRP = $41,720
    MSRP = $40,445
    Silver Gray Metallic
    Black Leather
    Cold Weather package
    Premium Package
    Automatic Transmission
    Satellite Radio Prep and Privacy glass
    What do you think?
    Forget what Edmunds shows.... What is the MSRP?

Is it $41,720 or $40,445?

If the MSRP is $40,445 and they are offering $37830, that is a good deal..

If the MSRP is $41,720 and they are offering $37,830, what are you doing here? Get down there and buy it!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• gwenjeangwenjean Member Posts: 4
    The MSRP is $40,445 and I really liked this one. I originally wanted the 330xi but after playing with this one I have changed my mind. I am planning to go to the dealership tomorrow and see what they would give me for my trade in. If it's decent I might be purchasing this one tomorrow. Thanks for your advise, this is an awsome site.
  • jj2jj2 Member Posts: 11
    What made you decide against the 330xi. I am trying to decide between the two.
  • burgermacburgermac Member Posts: 43
    I signed the paperwork this weekend and took delivery of an X3 3.0i. I was satisfied that I got a good deal. I paid $37,650 or about $980 over invoice ($36,670), which, for a BMW, is not that bad a deal (about 94% of MSRP($40,020)- everyone else was stuck at about 96%-97% of MSRP). The edmunds.com suggested price is $2,072 over invoice, and I beat that by over $1000. I consider that to be a pretty decent deal. I am okay paying a slight premium for a premium car, and I am certainly impressed with the car itself- quite a ride. The money factor they gave me was .0012, and this was after they waived the security deposit, so if i forked over $500 sec. dep., I could have gotten the .001 if I pushed. The money is in my account earning interest instead of theirs and the difference in interest cost was about $490 over the life of the lease- better for me than for them, in my book. The $825 lease acquisition fee is a non-negotiable in the state of Tennessee I have come to learn. If anyone has any experience on that front and could enlighten me otherwise, I'd love to know. Every dealer I spoke with was not willing or not able to budge from the $825. The doc prep fee at the dealer I ended up with was $99.50 (versus $329-$399 everywhere else), and they charged no Title/license fee because I need to register it myself (I bought it out of state). The residual factor was 62%, which is as high as on any BMW they are offering right now. All of these factors combined led to a monthly pmt of $487 with no cap cost reduction. The local dealer was offering a $500 monthly pmt under the same lease terms, and about double on the up front fees. Overall, I feel like I got fairly good execution on the overall package. Some people could probably do better but a lot of people probably do worse, so I am content. Like another poster mentioned earlier, I don't want to hear champagne corks popping when I drive away from the dealership. They may have cracked open a beer or two, but it certainly wasn't champagne. Without participation on the edmunds.com site, I would have added to my local dealership's profitability in a considerable way. This community saved me a lot of money. Ultimately, I think the best way to go is to search the web for every dealer in a prescribed area- say 250 miles. Then communicate with them via email- send a "bid form" outlining the car you are looking for and the exact terms you are willing to agree to. If you are lucky (this process involves a lot of luck, I think!), the dealers who respond will start looking for the car for you and if they don't have it on their lots, then the process of initiating a dealer swap will force them to begin to get competitive on price- all of a sudden the dealers that have the car you're looking for don't want to lose a sale to another dealership on a car that they have had some nibbles on...and 'round it goes.... They are more than willing to have a pricing dialogue over email and I would recommend it. If you are in a showroom, then you are not on home turf and they work that to their advantage- negotiating on price from your livingroom a much better scenario.
  • haakonhaakon Member Posts: 24
    Congrats on the new car! How is it configured?
  • burgermacburgermac Member Posts: 43
    X3 3.0
    Jet Black/Terracotta Leather
    Premium Pkg
    Auto Trans
    Xenon Headlights
    Privacy Glass
    Satellite Radio Prep
    MSRP$40,020
    Sale Price $37,650
    Invoice $36,670

Drives like a sports car. xDrive is incredible. Xenon headlights swivel to light your path. Plenty of power...can't imagine how it will drive when they start putting the 255hp 3 liter engine in it.
  • munimuni Member Posts: 2
    Hi BurgerMac/All u X3 fans,

Got this quote from a dealer for one X3 in his lot. Valid till 31st May.Any suggestions on wether this is a good deal and what I should try to negotiate with the dealer. Seems like a good deal to me.Was giving this as his final offer when I was walking out.Downpayment can be adjusted and am planning a 2500 down.Thanks in advance. :)

MSRP:43545
    --------------------------------
    GRS CAP Cost:42500(including lease aqn fee of 825)
    Sales Tax:0
    LAH Premium 0.00
    Cap Reduction:3982.08
    ----------------------------------
    Net Cap Cost:38562.92

Adj Residual:26997.90
    Total term dep:11565.02
    Monthly Dep:321.25
    MO Lease CHG:78.67
    ---------------------------------
    Base Payment:399.92

MO Tax:0
    MO prop tax: 0
    -----------------------------
    Total MO PYMT:399.92

Tot of payments:14397.12

Est fees/TERM:394
    Tot taxes: 0

Life Prem:0
    Lev Prem:0
    A&H Prem:0
    IUI Prem:0

1st Pymt:399.92
    Cap Red: 3982.08
    Sls tax upfnt:0
    1st Year fees:168
    Sec Dep:400
    Other upfnt:50
    -----------------------
    Tot Init Pymt:5000

Due on Del: 5000

Term 36 Mo at 10K miles annually
  • djocksdjocks Member Posts: 124
    Looked hard at the X3 yesterday. The lease opportunity is so attractive. .0010 for a money factor and aggresive dealers. I just wish I liked the styling more. For a buying experience, if you are interested....NOW IS THE TIME!!!!!!!

Can anyone tell me if they opted for the aero kit or even seen one. I want to know if it looks to pimped out or does it add a masculine look to the car? It drove awesome, but then again it is a BMW.

djocks
    1) From your figures, it looks like the dealer was trying to hit parameters that you gave him.. $5000 upfront and $400/mo..

2) I always recommend never making a cap cost reduction.. you can read back through the thread to see why..

3) Your purchase price of $41,675 is decent..about $1900 off MSRP... not the lowest I've seen, but fair..

4) The dealer is marking up the acq.fee ($625 base) and the money factor (using .0012, base is .0010). If he dropped those two figures back to the base numbers, the payment would drop to $381.06/mo., with about $4982 due at signing.

If it were me....

NO cap cost reduction
    Base MF .0010
    Base acq.fee $625

Net cap cost $42,300 (selling price + acq.fee)

Payment $495/mo.+ tax.

Due at signing: 1st pymt, security deposit, $218 misc.fees (from your numbers).. Total due: Approx. $1215.

One other note.. I don't see any provision for sales tax in these numbers.. Are you paying that upfront? If so, that would be even more due at signing.. Or, it would have to be rolled into the payment (my choice).

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• amcdadamcdad Member Posts: 61
    Just did the paperwork on a new X3 3.0 lease-

Jet Black/Black leather
    Automatic
    Premium Package
    Cold Weather
    Heated Steering Wheel
    Privacy Glass
    Sat Radio Prep
    MSRP: 40,120
    Negotiated Price: 37,125 (before any cap cost reduction)
    Cap cost reduction: $300
    MF .00100 (they started at .00140 and I said no way)
    Residual 61%
    Acq fee: $900 (it's New York- non-negotiable)
    3 years/12k
    Up front: $3500 (tax, title, acq fees, other fees, and about $300 cap cost reduction, just to get to an even $3500 out of pocket)
    Monthly Payment: $404

I was a little surprised to negotiate nearly $3000 off of MSRP, but this is a great time to deal on this vehicle. The dealer was very pleasant and professional. I am looking forward to picking it up tomorrow! Good luck if you are looking to get one.
  • munimuni Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your insight. Is very helpful.

One question. How did you calculate the money factor?

There is no sales tax in Oregon.

Thanks,
    Muni
    Good deal... the only thing I would have done differently, is roll the taxes into the cap cost, thereby reducing the upfront money..

Fantastic selling price..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

BMWFS sets the money factor.. I entered your numbers into a spreadsheet to determine what money factor the dealer was using... They are allowed to mark it up by .0004... their markup was just .0002, though..

You have to like the "no sales tax" thing...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks kyfdx. I know you run the risk of losing the upfront tax money if there is loss/accident. I decided to roll the dice because I wanted the payments at $400. I usually never put any cap cost reduction, but threw in the $300 here...

Hopefully the sales price will help others in the forum on their deals. I have found that sales folks, when faced with customers who understand leasing and what types of deals folks are getting across the country, tend to either be jerks or be much more cooperative- depends on how willing they are to deal. For what it is worth, here was my strategy: I ran numbers on a lease calculator so I knew what range payments should be based on my price targets and the residual, etc. (I have seen some dealers mysteriously end up 20-40 bucks higher per month with the same numbers). I waited until the end of the month to do it. Then I came in and asked for $37,000. I quoted the .00100 from this forum and the Leasing Questions forum, told them that I knew there was about a $700 holdback, and told them I saw deals better than $2000 off of MSRP on various forums- and even one who says he got below invoice (that person did not give any other specifics on that deal). I also reminded them that when the BMW lease support dries up this summer (it usually does for all manufacturers) and the more powerful engine comes in the fall, they may be stuck with what is on the lot now (they had 15-20 X3's- best to deal on an overstocked vehicle). 15 minutes later the deal was done at $37,125. That is about $365 over Edmunds invoice, $215 over the dealer's stated invoice. Makes me wonder if I could have squeezed a bit more, but it was a pleasant experience and I got my target price, so I decided why be greedy...

The above circumstances (end of month, lease support may go, overstocked, new engine in the fall) really make this a great time to deal on this car.... I hope this helps others.

By the way, kyfdx, thanks for your posts on this board. I don't know if you are a host or just helpful, but you've given a lot of good advice. These forums are really a powerful information tool for consumers. You can actually see a sales managers face drop as soon as you reference Edmunds' forums....
  • glc4155glc4155 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to buy a 2005 X-3, 3.0 with Nav, Servotronic Steering, Heated Front Seats, Automatic Transmission, Sport and Premium Packages, Satellite Radio. I am confused by MSRP and INVOICE. Do I look for how much under invoice and not how much under MSRP and what is a fair discount for the above model.
    Thanks
    MSRP is the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price; Invoice is the dealer's cost. You find the MSRP on the window sticker, and you can get the invoice price from Edmunds, Cars Direct, etc. If the dealer sells you the car at invoice, their profit will be based on any dealer holdbacks or incentives they get from the manufacturer. Every dollar over invoice is more profit for them. A holdback is unadverstised money that some dealers gets under invoice depending on what they paid for the car and how long it has been on their lot, while a dealer incentive is promotional money from the manufacturer to the dealer for selling the car. That amount can usually be found on Edmunds. Dealers rarely like to discuss holdbacks , but will usually ackowledge an incentive and pass it on to a consumer who asks for it.

So, let's say there is a $2000 dealer incentive on a car. If you bought at invoice, they make at least $2000. When there is such an incentive, you can often get such a car under invoice. Depending on the car, a dealer will often settle for making $300-$1500 bucks (for premium brands). A hot car will sell close to MSRP and they will make thousands, a slower seller will sell closer to or even under invoice.

On an X3, the MSRP is around $3200-$3400 over invoice. There is no dealer incentive, and about a $700 holdback, I think. You should negotiate from the invoice price, and based on this forum, it seems that anything from $200-$1200 over invoice (or $2000-$3000 under MSRP) is a pretty good deal. You should get one on the lower end of that scale as the 2006's get closer and, especially, if the dealer has a lot of them on the lot. My earlier entry describes the approach I took.
    By the way, make sure you test drive the Sport package. This is a firm riding car, and a lot of folks find the Sport package uncomfortably firm. I find the handling without Sport to be stellar as it is...

Hope that helps, and good luck.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• newbiebmwnewbiebmw Member Posts: 4
    I just moved to California from NYC. I have never had to own a car and I am totally new to the whole leasing a car process. cant tell if the dealer is giving me a good price or not..Plus I am a woman and feel they get confident I dont know.
    The dealer made me an offer on a 05 X3 2.5 that is the base model, automatic, panoramic sunroof everything else is just base. I offer to put down 3,000 dls on this lease which I think it was a mistake to offer this much down, I was trying to solve the problem of not having high monthly payments... monthly lease is for $389.00 plus California Tax which comes out to $ 421.00 a month.

Is this any good?
    I saw that on Edmunds, but Message 671 said there was one, and the dealer I worked with did not deny it....No harm in assuming there is one for negotiations sake....
    1) Term and mileage of lease?

2) Is the $3000 a downpayment (cap cost reduction)? Or does that include all of your upfront charges... meaning: Do you write a check for $3000, or is $3000 + acq.fee + 1st pymt + security deposit?

3) What is the MSRP? I show $33,620 for a car equipped like you say, but you might have metallic paint or other options..

Need this info to calculate a lease...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• glc4155glc4155 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the Info
    Hi Thank you so much for answering my question. I am going to the BMW dealirship later on today to get my X3. I do want to know still if this is a good deal so here are the anwers to your questions:

1.This is a 36 month lease with 15,000 K a year
    2. Yes the 3000 is for everything aquisition fee, first payment and security deposit.
    3. I am actually getting the X3 3.0 the M.S.R.P is 37,345 I am getting the panoramic sunroof and automatic. Color will be white or black.

I have negotiated this deal to 410 a month (including Caliornia tax)

Is this a good deal?

THANK YOU!!!
    Here is the other information:

Shopping around I got offered the BMW X3 3.0 for 410 a month. Here is the data you asked me to give you:

It is a 36 month lease and 15,000 miles per year
    The M.S.R.P is 37,345.

The 3,000 payment will be for everything acquisition fee, first month payment and security deposit.

I am getting a black or white X3 3.0 Automatic, Panoramic sunroof and "floor mats included".

The monthly payments I have negotiated them down to 410 a month including California Tax.

What do you think?
    It looks like a good deal for an X3 3.0.. You were smart to go with that model.. much more value and better lease deals than on the 2.5

Not knowing the exact breakdown of the $3000, it still looks good.. Maybe $2400 off MSRP and base rates on the lease..

The only thing that I would do differently? I would only pay $1000 at signing.. The other $2000 can be rolled into the cap cost..

That would raise the payment up to $470-$475/mo. tax included.. Better to have that money in the bank, than use it to lower the payment..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

You Guys in this web site are THE BEST, YOU ROCK KYFDX!!!!

I just got my BMW X3 3.0 yesterday. I think I am proud of the deal that I made, with a lot of negotiation I got my payment down to $371 a month ($407 with the tax which is 3 dlls off from the last quote I said to you, but hey, 3 dlls add up~!). I am getting 15,000 miles a year, and I couldn't be happier.

I do understand about the 3,000 and having that money make money in the bank, I ended up paying this with a credit card that gives a percentage of what I spend back and this calculating it all will be better that the interest rates I am getting at my bank!

Since I already had the money in my account, I will use the money that I have to pay the credit card fully and not pay any interest!

The car is a dream to drive, so smooth and powerful, you really do feel like you are in a little sports car. The Panoramic sunroof is awesome too...This is my first car!

If it wasn't for all the advice you give on this website and all the awesome input from all the wonderful and smart people that posted their experiences here, this would not have happened.
  • lhorn99lhorn99 Member Posts: 3
    I just received this from a BMW Dealer in Houston. Seems like a good deal to me, any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Base Vehicle
    2005 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M) $30,300

Optional Equipment

Packages and Powertrain Powertrain
    [205] STEPTRONIC 5-Speed Automatic Transmission $1,275
    Options

Exterior Features
    [--] Metallic Paint $475
    [402] Power Glass Panorama Roof $1,350

Interior Features
    [438] Maple Sycamore Dark Wood Trim $500
    [459] Power Front Seats w/ Driver Memory $995

Colors
    Exterior Color: [A08] Silver Grey Metallic
    Interior Color: Black

Optional Equipment Subtotal $4,595
    Destination $695
    MSRP Total Price $35,590

Offered Price $31,055
  • lunaticlunatic Member Posts: 1
    BMW X3 3.0, manual, premium package, titanium metallic, grey interior,aluminium trim, privacy glass, rear side impact airbags, destination charge, has to be factory ordered, 90 days for delivery.

invoice $36650
    dealer $38410
    Edmunds TMV $38763 for my region

Can I get a better deal? or do I have to pay appx. 5% over invoice because of factory order.

Regards
    It depends... That is probably right around invoice price, or even a little below.. They can make up a lot of money in the finance office... Between doc fees, bumped up interest rates or money factors, etc, it isn't too hard for them to come up with an extra $1500.. Even at that, you would have a decent deal, though..

Is this a specific car that they have on the lot? If so, it might be a service loaner or demo...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

You have to pay whatever you negotiate.. It really doesn't have anything to do with whether you order or not..

Can you do better with this dealer? You won't know until you make a lower offer and they either accept or reject.

Can you do better with another dealer? Possibly.. maybe $500-$800 better at best, though..

90 days seems like a long time to get an X3.. I thought they switched over model years in August? Seems like your car should be here sooner than that.. Maybe they are trying not to over-promise on the delivery time.. Most people get their car within 60 days..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• lhorn99lhorn99 Member Posts: 3
    It only has 15 miles on it, so I'm assuming that means it is brand new. I will either be getting the loan through the credit union or taking the 3.9% that they are offering now so I'll try to eliminate that as an opportunity for markup. The only thing that is fishy to me is that it seems to be below invoice price and with BMW not having any holdbacks, it seems like a negative margin deal for them. I guess they plan on making up for it on the servicing of the vehicle.
    Well.. sales departments don't usually figure their profit/loss on later servicing..

But, that is a fairly low optioned/low priced X3.. With the better leasing deals on the 3.0 model, they may just be motivated to move a car, that they think they'll have trouble selling..

If you were leasing, you'd probably take an X3 3.0 that MSRPed for $4K more for the same monthly payment.. and, they probably lease more X3s than they sell..

But, since you are buying... maybe you've just stumbled onto a great deal..

Watch out for dealer prep, document fees, advertising fees, etc.. If they have offered you the car at that price, agree to it, then insist on it.. Nothing should be added but tax, registration, etc.. I'm not averse to an extra hundred somewhere along the line, but anything more than that is too much... Don't forget about floormats!!

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• labuyerlabuyer Member Posts: 14
    What are the June MFs and residuals for the X3/3.0? I'd be looking for 15k/year.
  • randvrandv Member Posts: 15
    Has anyone installed the rear seat entertainment system for X3. Looks like they just introduced. (see ">link article">link title). I am interested pricing and reviews?

Thanks
  • randvrandv Member Posts: 15
    did anyone buy an X3 at bay area dealerships? it would be useful to get price and dealer reviews,
    thanks,
    36 mo/15k mi – 60% Residual Value – Money Factor .00100 Base Rate

Residuals actually went up from last month..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• haakonhaakon Member Posts: 24
    Do you know what the similar figures are for 10K/36month?
    Thanks.