Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,189
    Is this a car on his lot, or an order?

Maybe they will add $500 in profit-padding dealer fees to your final price... or maybe low-balling your trade? Or possibly getting rid of a unit that they are having trouble moving...

Hard to say, until you get the final number.. If it is all legit, seems like a great deal.. If you are ordering, make sure you have a final number with all fees and taxes included, before committing to the deal..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mr_blahmr_blah Member Posts: 5
    ilhorn99,

You want to consider the 3.0 X3 - it comes with most of the options you have listed at near your quoted price: steprtonic, power seats, moonroof. The price I've been offered is close to or at invoice as well - there are a lot of X3s in the bay area BMW dealerships. Speculation is that BMW is going to upgrade the engine specs to mirror the new 3 series sedan (more horse power) so dealers are looking to clear inventory out. The 2005 3 series was selling a couple thousand below invoice earlier this spring to make room for the 2006 model.

Reading through the board here at Edmunds, it seems like the 3.0 might have the better deals now.
  • stevebbbstevebbb Member Posts: 2
    Just ordered from factory,

2005 X3 3.0,Grey Silver, Sport Pkg, Prem Pkg, Auto Steptron, Xenon lights, Cold wthr, Sat-Radio ready.

MSRP= $46,495 (ish)

Sold= $42,240 (Ordered from Factory)

Our problem was that there were only 3 cars matching these items undercontruction.

Honestly I wish my wife would have selected the x5 for another 5-6k. But she was hooked on the handling and ease of access to rear cargo area. :)

Nndavigation
  • stevebbbstevebbb Member Posts: 2
    We orderd from the factory and agreed on a price before reading this thread , , , Wish I had this info before buying. But I think we did OK

2005 X3 3.0,Grey Silver, Black Leather, Sport Pkg, Prem Pkg, Auto Steptron, Xenon lights, Navigation, Cold wthr, Privacy Glass, Sat-Radio ready.

MSRP= $46,495 (ish)

Sold= $42,240 (Ordered from Factory)

Our problem was that there were only 3 cars matching these items undercontruction.

Honestly I wish my wife would have selected the x5 for another 5-6k. But she was hooked on the handling and ease of access to rear cargo area.
  • omega2omega2 Member Posts: 8
    randv,
    could I get a copy of your lease spreadsheet? I'm looking to lease this week and still am not that comfortable I can gauge pricing. Thanks a lot. Omega
  • mr_blahmr_blah Member Posts: 5
    Randv,

You're in the SF Bay Area right? Did you happen to find this car on the lot or did you have to work with several dealers in the area to get it to this price? I would love to get a similar price.

Thanks,

SC
    randv,
    I downloaded a spreadsheet from the internet yesterday.
    I did the following deal and hoped to get some feedback on how I did with negotiating a deal.

Lease pmt per month $445 (incl, depr, int and taxes)
    Total Down $1,800 (1mo, sec dep, acq fee, mv&doc, 0 cap cost red)

MSRP 39975
    Selling price 37444 (since dealer reduced $$ upfront may be effectively lower)
    Aq Fee $625
    Cap cost reduction 0
    Residual % 62%
    Money Factor 0.001
    Term 36 /12,000 miles
    Sales Tax 6%

Thanks for kydfx and randv for feedback. Omega
    At that selling price, I get $414/mo + tax.. or, right around $440/mo..

So, it looks like you are right on the money... Base MF, base acq.. no cap cost reduction.. and $2500 off the MSRP..

Good deal!!

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks kyfdx. When I picked up car, I signed up for the tire service at $11 per month additional (or $399 upfront). worth it?
    Also, when I reviewed the contract, I noted that they put in $$$ in cap cost reduction as opposed to the acq fee line to get to the 1800 due. However, they assured me bottom line terms of 445 per mth and 1800 upfront (pre tire service fee) do not change. They also assured me there would be no other separate billings fees etc. Says computer can only make adj in the cap cost line. They also changed the money factor to .0009 instead of selling price to get to my numbers. Anything I should be concerned about? Dealer seems aboveboard - professional.
    Thanks, O
    I guess the tire thing is to pay if you bust up a wheel or tire? I've never bought that.. I've heard good and bad things.. I hesitate to recommend one way or the other, because as soon as I say "Don't buy it", you'll hit the mother of all potholes and blow all four tires... I'll just say.. "I wouldn't buy it."

Is this a BMWFS lease? I forget... I'm not sure how they can play with the money factor, etc.. but, as long as the terms are all the same (same money upfront, money credited towards a security deposit, same payment, same mileage/monthly term), then it doesn't matter a lot on how they get there..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx, yep, the tire coverage is exactly that - I think I'm comfortable with the coverage -basically insurance. All in the lease terms are the same so I think I'm ok. Thanks for the confirmation.
    regards,
    O
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    Sorry, I don't get the "tire insurance". They wouldn't be selling it unless they made money on it (probably big money since the markup is typically 100+% at the retail level), so you know that the odds are that you're going to pay more for the insurance then you're ever likely to claim. Insurance is to provide a safety net for unusual hardship if they worst happens. If you can afford a $40K SUV, I would hope you can afford to replace a few-hundred dollar tire or wheel in the unlikely event of a problem.

All that stuff they push in the Finance Mgr's office is typically a terrible deal (paint protection, fabric protection, rust proofing, undercoating, extended maintenance, undercoating, tire insurance, finance insurance, etc.) Most of it goes direclty into the salesman and finance mgr's pocket - a $400 tire insurance policy pays $200 to the insurer and $200 to these yokels. It's all pitched in a way that makes it seem cheap. It's not. Everything is negotiable but the best advice is just to say no to EVERYTHING. You can buy it all a week or a month later if you want.

- Mark
  • jaydeepbjaydeepb Member Posts: 5
    What a great deal. Can you tell me what dealer you went to?

Thanks for the Info
  • timmbojtimmboj Member Posts: 123
    Does anyone know when BMW stops placing customer orders for 2005 X3's?
  • mzkmzk Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I have never leased before and are interested in leasing an X3 (3.0) in suburban NY. We swung by the dealership on a whim over the weekend, both like the X3, and were offered a 3yr. lease, at $470 per mo., with about $3,500 down. This seems like an Okay deal but not a terrific one. I'm sure it's the same opening offer they make to everyone. I'm inclined to ask for more miles (above and beyond the 36,000 cap) plus I want to put down less money up front (big surprise, huh?) and a smaller monthly payment. I don't have a good sense of magnitude though - i.e., what I should realistically insist on getting before I cut a deal.

Any bargaining advice or info. re: comparable deals in the NYC area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

MZK
    If you have the MSRP of the unit you are interested in, we can go from there..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

If they are using the base rates, and your only upfront is $2500 + 1st payment + security deposit.. then they are discounting the car about $1000 from MSRP..

I'm assuming sales tax in FL is 6%.

Now, they may have dealer document fees and/or marking up the money factor.. so, they might be showing a lower selling price... But, if everything is base rates, that is the discount..

I think you should be able to get the same deal with only a $1500 cap cost reduction... That would give you a selling price of $2K off MSRP, which would be fair for all..

At their offer.... your upfront would be about $3500-$3600 total... I think if you could get that lease payment with $2500 total, then you'd have a good deal..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• mytoymytoy Member Posts: 14
    Kyfdx,

Thanks for the reply. You are correct about the sales tax percentage, it is 6%.

How do I go about getting the cap cost reduction to $1500?

Yes, my upfront amount is $3,644.21.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated. Have never ever negotiated a lease before.

If I were to look to buy this car instead, what would be a good buying price?

MyToy :)
    How?

You tell the dealer that the deal isn't good enough..

Tell him you want the same deal with only $2500 upfront, and the payment and terms to stay the same..

It is no different than if you were buying... He says $35K, and you say, "Make it $34K and you have a deal.."

The worst thing that happens is he says NO.. or only comes down $500... You don't get what you don't ask for..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• moogplayermoogplayer Member Posts: 1
    looking to lease either a 2.5 or 3.0 auto X3. Currently have a 2001 Saturn LW200 wagon with 35K miles I prefer to just get out of. Would BMW be interested in paying off the remainder of my loan ($4800) as trade-in? Avg blue for the car is about $6500-7000. Also have $2K cash available that I'd rather not touch. Looking for payments under $400/mo...Thanks!
  • tb0622tb0622 Member Posts: 6
    Im in CT - looking at an X3 2.5 (Prem. Pkg., Automatic, Heated front seats, Privacy Glass) for selling price of $35,600 - which is on the mark with the TMV. Trading in my 2000 323i for $12,500 - would like to get $13,000. If dealer gives me $13K for my trade - I'm inclined to do the deal.

Any thoughts??? Thanks in advance...
    Seems a little high to me...am in Fairfield County, CT - and here's the net on what I was presented:

X3 2.5 (pretty basic - msrp @ $36,000)
    $2500 down + fees, etc.
    $425 per mo.
    12K miles per year

Dealer tried to tweak the down payment (up, of course) to get the payment lower. Let me walk with the above deal offered. I didn't bite...likely to trade in and buy. Can't beat the value a BMW in the trade-in market.
  • mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    Are you leasing or purchasing? I also live in CT and have spoke with a few dealers. Which dealer are you working with?
    Purchasing. Endurance in Mt. Kisco (20 mins from CT and close to my train station).
    Kyfdx,

Here is where I stand with my lease negotiations:

MSRP $37,895 - stayed the same

Monthly Lease is $385.00 - down from $399.21

Due at signing, $2965.99 - down from $3644.70

Thoughts on this?

That looks really good...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Kyfdx,

Thanks. When I went back to sign the papers, I actually negotiated a little more and got the monthly payment down to $365.00, tax included.

Get the car on July 10th.

Thanks again for everything.

• adamwadeadamwade Member Posts: 4
    I'm in southern CA, just leased an X3 3.0i 6speed manual, premium, plus ?? whatever.
    MSRP $39,600
    $399 per month for 3 years (10k year)
    Down Payment = $1250 (first months+registration+refundable deposite)
    This is $0 cap reduction
    They leased the car for below invoice $33k or so.

Irvine BMW, in CA (they have about 10 more with the same deal) This was a BMWFS lease.
    TOld me they over ordered 3.0i's during the California rain storms, but never sold them.
  • sharmabmwsharmabmw Member Posts: 45
    adamwade,

What was your Money Factor and Residual Value %? I might get in touch w/Irvine's internet manager today depending on what you tell me. (Do you mind if I use you as a reference?) Also, I haven't seen BMWFS July lease numbers yet, but BMW is advertising a $339/mo x 39 mos with a cap cost reduction of $2500. Clearly, that's not the best deal.

thanks.
  • skihskih Member Posts: 1
    I looked at a Jet Black 2005 X3 2.5i @ Ridgefield BMW (CT) before they opened this morning. The sticker price was SCOTCH TAPED to the window - rather than sealed. Does this mean it's not new?
    bmwusa.com shows the lease deal with 36 months. Car_Man (from another forum) says the money factor is .00100 money factor and 60% residual. But there may be particulars I'm forgetting.
    The adhesive they use for BMW stickers is terrible.. Most of the stickers will fall off on their own, and certainly will come lose if the window is rolled down..

But, every BMW comes with an extra copy of the sticker in the glove box... Just because it is scotch-taped on, doesn't mean it isn't new.. If you go to my local dealer, half of the stickers have fallen off, and are laying on the seat.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Hello skih, I'd agree with the poster above. Most stickers fall off over time. It could also be a vehicle that has been taken on a test drive and the sticker removed for safety reasons.

Just out of curiousity have you checked out an X3 with Mauro motors or BMW of Bridgeport? I found Ridgefield BMW to be the least likely to make a good deal for the consumer, especially an X3.
  • adamwadeadamwade Member Posts: 4
    I dont recall my money factor (i'd have to check the lease docs), but he converted it roughly to 3% interest. The car stickered at $39,600, but they leased it too me at about 36K, so my three years of payments are only 14k for a 40k car. Unfortunately, the residual is still based on the MSRP (about $24k). It's a no brainer with zero cap reduction at $399 mo. I raised my mileage to 12,000 miles per year for another $19 mo. This is better than the advertised special, because the dealer is letting them go below or at invoice (so she said)

Just use BMW website and locate the dealer FOR IRVINE BMW. They had about 8 left.
    mvs1 - never heard back from you on post 897. Anyway, I decided to lease and trade in on my 2000 323i. Was originally going to buy, but decided leasing would offer greater flexibility. While I didn't drive to Bridgeport (too far from my home), I did the go to Darien, Greenwich, Ridgefield and Endurance (NY) to look at X3 3.0.

Ridgefield BMW gave me the best deal for the lease and my trade in. The pre-owned manager went above and beyond on the trade in ($2000 better than all others), and at the end of 39 months I will have spent $200 less than any other deal offered. Normally you'd expect whatever they give on the trade, they make on the sale/lease - not the case. Ridgefield had the best deal, hands down. Darien offered a good lease deal, but came up short on the trade in. And just a quick plug - Ridgefield is the only BMW Center of Excellence in CT for Service and Sales.

Ridgefield BMW gave this consumer a great deal - and I don't have to watch them peddling their cars Sunday morning on TV! :)
    When did you make your transaction? I've always read to make a transaction for a new vehicle at the end of the month. But I feel like I'm running out of time for a 2005 model. Did Ridgefield have what you wanted on the lot? Does anyone know when BMW stops taking orders for 2005 models?

Looks like the BMWUSA site is offering 60% residuals and .0007 money factors. INSANE!
  • schmebischmebi Member Posts: 4
    KYFDX,

In May I ordered a 2.5 X3 manual and thought I was getting a decent deal. The car is due to arrive to the VPC tomorrow. After reading reccent posts here and on bimmerfest, I am starting to believe I may not have gotten such a good deal after all. Here are the specifics of my deal (the info they gave me, at least):

MSRP: 33,105
    Selling Price: 29151.91
    Add'l Cap Cost: 1095.00 (what is this?)
    total sales tax: 924.12
    Cash cap reduction: 1080.00
    adjusted cap cost: 30,091.03
    MF: .00215 (this can be better, right?)
    Residual: 19,531.95 (59%)
    Monthy pmt: 400.00
    Term: 36 mo
    12,000K miles
    Total due @ signing: 1480.00

And here are my questions:

Is this a decent deal? If not, what should I be shooting for. It seems that people are getting much better deals on much more expensive vehicles. What about the national ad. Could I get the monthly lower by doing the 39 mos? I actually wouldn't mind keeping the car longer and would like the payment under $400.

Lastly, I haven't signed any financing paperwork, only gave a deposit. Is it still possible to renegotiate the terms? Yours or anyone's feedback would be much appreciated.

There is nothing worse than feeling like you are getting hosed. :mad:
    Sorry I did not reply I usually don't miss posts.

LOL...I forgot about those ads on TV.

Glad to hear you did well. My experience at Ridgefield was a little different. which shows it truly depends on who you speak with and timing also comes into play. The salesmen at Ridgefield struck me funny, it was the only dealer I haven't contacted initially by email in the past three years. I happen to be driving by and stopped in when I asked for a test drive the salesmen stated "there wasn't enough time today". There was about an hour before closing and the lot was dead. He made other comments to my wife about her Audi A4 along the lines of not being in a 3-series class. Not that I agree or disagree or care either way. I was more interested in test driving a car on the lot.

Also, they did not stock any units with NAVI, although this is common for this vehicle.

just out of curiousity did you ever go back to Darien with the best deal and ask them to beat it?
    I replied to your thread in another forum.. I think you know the one..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• schmebischmebi Member Posts: 4
    Yes, thank you very much! :)
  • adonadon Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone,

Can I please get your feedback on this lease deal? It's for a 3.0 X3 in SoCal...

MSRP: 38870
    Selling Price: 37000
    Cap Reduction: 2500
    Acq. Fee: 625
    MF: 0.0012
    Residual: 62%
    Term: 39 mo. 12k/yr

Due at signing: 3450
    Monthly Payment: 381 incl. tax

I noticed almost all other 3.0 leases listed on the forum have a lower MF, should I ask for a 0.001 MF?

Thanks,
    Adon
    Yes.. definitely insist on the .0010 money factor.. Your selling price is just average, in relation to others reported lately, so you should definitely not pay anything extra in the money factor...

With the base money factor, the payment will drop about $13/mo tax inclusive..

I would encourage you to not make a cap cost reduction.. The base money factor is comparable to a 2.4% interest rate.. No point in making a down payment..

With no cap cost reduction, and the base money factor of .0010, the payment would be about $442/mo, tax inclusive.... And, the due at signing would only be around $1000-$1100..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Completed the transaction yesterday. They had a couple of X3 3.0s with what I wanted, so the selection is there.
    I'm very satisfied. I did speak to the guy from Darien and he held firm - granted I called him on a cell phone from the Ridgefield showroom. Considering I had a trade in - Darien would have had to drop his monthly payment by $50 as well as drop the upfront fees by $1000 just to match! Plus, I'd rather bring my car to Ridgefield for service - closer to home.

I had a good experience with two salesmen there. My salesman wasn't in when I finalized my deal so the Pre-Owned Sales Manager helped. He was great to deal with - very aggressive on the trade-in and the lease.
  • adonadon Member Posts: 2
    thanks kyfdx! I will go back and renegotiate. When I tried to bring down the MF initially they insisted that they can't because their discount off MSRP was "huge". But I researched online and while the sale price is a little under TMV, it's comparable to what others have been getting recently. So i guess I'll have to go back and be a bit more aggressive with the negotiations.
  • wise5wise5 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone please tell me if this is a good deal or if I am overlooking anything obvious. Thanks so much for your help, I reallly appreciate it.

BMW 2.5x3 auto, black with black leartherette. In stock ready for delivery.
    Premium package, heated seats and side mirrors, floor mats, private back glass; $.20 cent overage (renegotiable to $.16 during the first year).
    I also need a cargo/pet net and vinyl floor mat for the rear (we’re still working on this net and vinyl back mat).

Selling Price: $35,120
    Add’l Cap Cost: $2000
    Total sales tax: $1306.74
    Bank fee: $900
    Security: $400
    2year registration: $225
    MF: .0016
    Cash cap reduction:
    Adjusted cap cost:
    Residual: (59%)
    Monthly pmt: $379.96
    Term: 39 months
    12K Miles
    Total Due at signing: $5211.70
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Right off the top of my head I'd say that the amount due at signing is at least $4000 too high.
  • mmaurommauro Member Posts: 2
    Hello All,
    I'm leasing a x3 3.0 in NJ. The sticker price says $39,600.
    $3000 out-of-pocket (had to pay extra tax 'cause car is registered in PA)
    $413.89 per month (12K miles per year).

We took the car last week and they called today to say we took the wrong car...basically we took a car that was $1400 more because we weren't suppose to get the real leather. I think this is an amazing deal AND they took our 325 which had 4 more months of lease payments. Good deal???

Also - they want us to come in and signed new paper work because the originals were based on the other 'leatherette' car. They said nothing will change - it was their mistake. No way they can change something on me - right??? The onus is on the sales person and his manager - right???
  • djocksdjocks Member Posts: 124
    just had to chime in.....

LMAO @ the peddling their cars on sunday morning comment. I live around the corner from Mauro Motors and my 03 300i was leased from BMW of Watertown. Mauro is laughable. I did hear good things about Ridgefield also but in 2 1/2 years I could not be happier with Countyline. Will be getting into a new one in a few...

Heart wants the new 330i
    Head is telling me I need an X3..

decisions decisions decisions..........
    djocks
  • mmaurommauro Member Posts: 2
    Uhhhh, though my username is 'mmauro' I'm not 'Mauro Motors'. Maybe I should hit them up for a discount???

Please disregard if your post 'mauro is laughable' was not in response to mine djocks.