Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz: Future Models

Comments

• merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I doubt it. MBUSA seems to have sworn off entry level engines in the SL and other high-end models for good. There won't ever be a CLS350 or S350 either for the U.S. market it seems. I can see a S320 CDI being sold here, but a "regular" V6 S/SL nope.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing a CLK280 or E280 with the smaller 3L 228hp V6. BMW sells plenty of 525is without a problem.

M
    The recently introduced 3.5L V6 now has direct-injection. In short 292hp/270lb-bt of torque/26 MPG, 288hp for the U.S. market conversion. We should see this engine late this year for the facelifted 2007 E350 and as always the ML350,R350,CLK350, and SLK350 will all get this engine sooner or later, but probably sooner. For the 2007 model year on some of these would be my guess.

Article

M
  • scott1256scott1256 Member Posts: 531
    last fall the plan was to make the S350 available here in the US.

I think both the S350 and the SL350 would sell well in the USA.

It must be an image thing for MBUSA that keeps the entry models out.
    Oh yes, definitely an image thing as to why the new S350 or SL350 won't be sold here. Also, I think MBUSA was tired of seeing those V6 models losing comparison tests because they were down on power which of course they were being in an all V8 segment.

I personally think there is a good market for a SL350 or a S350. Not everyone wants a V8 or loads of hp, just adequate power with all the other luxuries a SL/S-Class provides. The W140 S320 (1992-1999) made up 40 percent of the S-Class sales in the U.S. during some of those years so I've read. I wish I could see the numbers on how many 2006 S350s were sold. Anytime the dealer had any they'd be gone in a week or so.

M
    The doors for the Geneva Auto Show are about to open, press days are going on now. Of course this is always a big show for Mercedes-Benz.

CLK63 AMG

CLS63 AMG

Face-lifted SL

GL-Class

R63 AMG

Article

Word is now that the facelifted E-Class will be shown in New York in April and the new CL right after that in May.

M
    It looks like most of the new AMG hardware is coming in the June-July timeframe, just right for the CLK63 Cabriolet IMO.

Article

M
    It seems America likes the new S-Class, at 3360 units sold for Feb, more than the E or C-Class! Yikes!

The R-Class moved a much more respectable number of 2469 units in Feb.

The M-Class sold 2155 units, way up over Feb 2005.

Sales for the month of Feb were up 28 percent over Feb 2005. The numbers are being posted by the S,CLK,M and R-Class vehicles.

Article

The E-Class seems to be dying off pretty fast awaiting that June/July on-sale date for facelifted model. Either that or production has slowed for changeover. Ditto for the C-Class which appears to have a replacement scheduled for fall this year in Europe and this time next year in the U.S.

The facelifted SL and new GL are due in April. The AMG cars talked about earlier in the thread are due in June/July.

I suspect a re-packaged R-Class will come along around June/July also as will the new V8 engines for the CLS,R,ML and CLK "550" models.

M
  • wopelwopel Member Posts: 92
    Can you tell us anything about the "suspected" re-packaged R-Class? While I'm asking about the R-Class, I see the GL will have a 320cdi - do you think the R might get that soon?
    What is Bluetec?
    Thanks.
    Well there a couple of Benz salespeople that chime in on the R-Class board from time to time that have hinted that a major re-shuffle of the R-Class' standard/optional equipment is on tap for the 2007 model year. This would be in repsonse to slow R-Class sales. Just a guess at this point.

Yes I have read (Automobile Magazine) that a R320 CDI will show up here before the end of the year. The ML320 CDI is a definite. Since the ML and R share so much I would think a R320 CDI would be a no-brainer. It certainly couldn't hurt with the R-Class sales, which are either way up or way down depending on which month you look at. There have been various interviews online with MB officials that always drop little hints about upcoming products, like the GL320 and R320.

M

Bluetec is Mercedes' new clean diesel technology which they say will allow them to sell disels in two of Mercedes' biggest U.S. markets, New York and Cali. They claim it is the cleanest diesel in the world.

Purely speculative on my part, I think we'll get a total of 5 diesel models in the next year: ML320, E320, R320, GL320, and maybe even a S320. If all goes well I suspect we'll even get diesel version of the C-Class for 2008, which will be an all new car for 2008.

M
    This was posted earlier on MBWorld.org for the 2007 ML. If this information is accurate it appears they have re-structured the option packages/standard equipment for the 2007 ML. I would expect the same for the 2007 R-Class. The post below:

There are also now 3 option packages ranging from $2800 to $8675.

P1 Package: Electric sunroof, rain sensing wipers, power lift gate, harmon/kardon Logic 7 system, Sirius satellite radio, hands free communication system, Teleaid & Homelink - $3500 ML350/ML320, $2800 ML500

P2 Package: Includes P1, plus DVD navigation, Auto-dimming mirror, power folding mirrors, rear-view camera, power steering column and memory seat function - $6500 ML350/ML320, $5800 ML500

P3 Package: Includes P1 & P2, plus Air suspension, Active damping shocks, parameter steering, 3-zone climate control, infared glass, rear seat controls, cargo management system, cargo net - $9000 ML350/ML320, $8675 ML500

There are four other Code packages (1) Exterior appearance (2) AMG Sport (3) Rear seat entertainment (4) Heating package

Then, there about 17 stand alone options.

The ML63 comes very loaded with all 3 option packages standard. Very few options are available for it. It even comes with 20" wheels.

Curiously though the poster says that the ML500 stays the same for 2007. No new 4.6L or 5.5L V8. That part doesn't add up IMO. No way they're going to have all new V8s in everything else and leave out the ML.

M
    Thanks for the sales figures on the W140 S320.

I believe the former 300 SL sold very well too while it was offered.

For at least a few model years (1990-1993?)the 300 SL was also available with a manual transmission.
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    Any word on whether the E class for 2007 to be introduced in July will have the new V-8?
    More importantly for me is will it be available at intro in the 4-Matic Wagon?
    Talk about a rare car, the R129 300SL/SL320. From 1990-1997 I think I may have seen about 7. Yes some were sold with a manual tranny, an ever rarer specimen. The introduction of the SLK in 1997 killed the SL320 in our market.

M
    All of that should be revealed at the New York auto show next month. The face-lifted E is supposed to be shown then. An E550 sedan and wagon are a given though! Since the current E500 wagon comes in 4Matic guise only I can't see why the new E550 wagon wouldn't. What I'm waiting to see if MBUSA will do the smart thing and bring over the E320CDI with optional 4Matic. A E320CDI Wagon available with 4Matic would be very smart IMO.

M
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    I don't know...
    Diesel is way more per gallon than premium gasoline here. The 34-36 mpg on the road diesel vs. my known gas v-8 real world mpg always over 20 and up to 28 road mpg makes me still hesitant on number 2 oil.

Also, I have many road miles and gas guzzeler tax receipts that I find have not held up to the light in my real world driving. My mpg has always far exceded the EPA combined.
    Diesel fuel has been as much as 50% more expensive than unleaded over the last year.

This makes diesel cars a questionable value considering the high initial cost of a compression ignition engine.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    right now, diesel is less than premium here (Fresno, California).

John
    The 2007 E-Class looks like it will be shown at the New York Auto Show next month.

Article

The article mentions the no-brainer E500 (our E550) getting the new 5.5L V8 from the S550, but it also says the E350 gets a "slight" power increase.

M
    magazine yesterday and there was an S class ad in it.

The Forbes ad head line says "You're not buying a car. You're buying a belief". About half the ad goes on about history, past glory, 1886 cars, etc.

Not once do they ask the reader for his/her business. Not a single mention of efforts being made to improve quality and reliablity.

The ad did not strike the right note for me. If anyone else sees it I would be interested in their take.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    Here's my take: Mercedes wants you to think about image. They don't want to remind you of their quality and reliability problems. Makes sense to me.
    Not once do they ask the reader for his/her business. Not a single mention of efforts being made to improve quality and reliablity.

No one but GM is silly enough to put an add out saying that their quality has lapsed or needs improving. I would never expect that from Mercedes or any other luxury marque.

M
    suggest mentioning past problems in advertising, Merc1.

My point is that this ad does nothing to win back people who might be a bit skeptical about MB after the rumors (some based on facts, I admit) that have been circulated over the past 5-7 years.

The ad doesn't stress the quality and reliability of the new S class. It does not point out to the consumer all the reasons why they should spend money at the MB dealer rather than at Lexus or BMW.

The way the S is selling now it may be a moot point. I want to see MB get serious about taking the market back.
    My point is that this ad does nothing to win back people who might be a bit skeptical about MB after the rumors (some based on facts, I admit) that have been circulated over the past 5-7 years.

Well that would kinda be the same thing. They simply can't mention or let on about any recent quality problems, it would be marketing/image suicide.

I want to see MB get serious about taking the market back.

With all the new product introduced in 2005 and whats coming this year I think they are. So far just from reading various mesg boards the newer Benzes like the M/R/CLS and even the facelifted C-Class *seem* to be a lot less problematic than previous cars. It will be a slow painful process as far as the perception about MB quality to those who know about it and a even harder task to convince those that were burned before.

M
  • ecorraecorra Member Posts: 1
    Speaking of SLs, will the SL550 be available with the S-Class's distronic and back-up cam or will wehave for a total redesign?
    thanks
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Merc--These first three photos really bring back memories..There were some guys that had welthy parents that got them the first car pictured..(the gull wing doors were not as popular at the time) I don`t remember but it may have been back in the fifties....You would have loved being alive back then, as we all could work on our cars as they were really understandable, and everyone was a `nut`..There was a guy from upstate named Rentrow(sp) very wealthy who had a couple oc sleek cars designed for him--called Rentrow(sp) He also had the Ferrari factory behind him and was quite an accomplished racer...Those were my glory days...Then women came into the picture in a big way, and I had to go earn a living..Thanks for the pictures Tony
  • akinakin Member Posts: 24
    Where can I find out what the monthly sales figures are for the R Class? Is there a site that post that stuff?
    Well I can't see why you would need a back up cam on the SL, but no it won't be on the 2007 SL nor will the S550's newer version of Distronic. The next SL of course will get these features no doubt, IMO. That might not be until 2010-11.

M
    Well sales of the R-Class so far:

2005:
    Sept - 386 (went on sale mid-month)
    Oct - 930
    Nov - 1213
    Dec - 2430

2006:
    Jan - 686
    Feb - 2469

There are many sources to get this info.

eMercedesBenz
    Automotive News

M
    Well the SL is still a little different from other Benz models in that it has a longer production run. There have only been 3 SLs during my lifetime, and the oldest of those last 3 was on sale before I was born!

M
    Newport Engineering in Placentia, California has built top line convertibles for many years. They are now offering open versions of the Maybach 62 and RR Phantom.

Talk about massive ragtops! It looks like there is a market for anything. First link is for the Maybach, second for the Phantom.

http://www.newportconvertible.com/Detail.tpl?rnd=111&cart=11082773894331708&sku=- - - - 107592474313380200

http://www.newportconvertible.com/Detail.tpl?rnd=6252&cart=11430825393311708&sku- - - - =1063920620712947
    for MB: over 21,000 vehicles.

18% ahead of March, 2005.

I expect the fresh face on the E this fall and and having more S cars in dealer stock will help sales as well.
    Dare I say anything about MB's start this year, don't want jinx it.

Yes the revised E (July), SL (April), new GL (April) and continued sales of the M and S-Classes should give a huge boost to sales numbers in coming months.

Not sure why the CLK is on fire, but it is and that is before the CLK550 and CLK63 models coming in July/August.

There there are the R/ML/GL 320 CDI models all coming in the Sept-Oct timeframe. The CLS550, CLS63 AMG, ML/R 450/550 should all be here in July/August.

I am surprised that 2nd year SLK is dropping somewhat, supply problem?

March 2006 Sales

M
    to talk about good sales, but it's more than that. MB is back on track with great new models: build quality (if the rumor mill is right)is much improved in the 06s also.

The CDI models should sell well this fall depending on what price premium MB charges for a diesel. The E should get back to the 4-5,000 unit per month mark again by the end of the year.

I am not sure why the SLK is sliding either (-21.6% ytd). Perhaps the 4 seat SLK cabrio is more practical at a similar price. Maybe some perceive the SLK price premium over lower cost roadsters like the S2000, Miata, Solstice, etc. as a little steep.
    Well I think they've already shaken off the build quality complaints with the newer models like the SLK, CLS and now the S-Class. ALl have much better interiors than before, and in the case of the CLS a real upgrade from the E-Class on which it is based. Though the E is hardly bad having improved greatly over the previous E.

I'm guessing the SLK will pick up this month being the time in which many previously frozen parts of the U.S. really thaw out. I can't see the CLK making a dent in SLK sales. As far as the S2000, Solstice and Miata I doubt many people cross-shop those with a Benz, but then again people cross show all types of cars nowadays. :confuse:

There is some confusion about the diesels it seems. The ML320, R320 and GL320 are supposed to all arrrive this fall, but only in the same 45 states as the current E320 is sold in. The new "Bluetec" versions don't arrive until the 2008 model year it seems, which means summer of 2007. Not sure yet.

Also on boards like MB.ord some are saying that the ML500 keeps the old 5L V8 for 2007 - I don't believe this for a minute. My prediction - there will be either a ML450 or ML550 for 2007, likely a ML450. Ditto for the R-Class.

Why the U.S. market isn't getting a GL550 along with the GL450 is a mystery to me too. The GL450 is underpowered compared to the Range Rover SC and Escalade with "only" 335hp. Though it is about 500lbs lighter than both of those.

M
    As expected the E500 becomes the E550 with 382hp for the U.S. market and the E320 CDI Bluetec goes on sale this fall in the U.S. according to the press release issued today. No mention of the E350 getting more power yet. There is of course a new AMG model, the E63 with 514hp (about 507hp for the U.S.). The E-Class will be broken into two groups of models in the U.S. market like the C-Class, Luxury and Sport. See this post concerning US specific information on packages/options/models.

Some pics:

E63 AMG:

E-Class Sport model:

M
  • albellalbell Member Posts: 185
    Interesting reversal of pricing strategy for MB...adding content while reducing option pricing. Should work wonders for the E. I note that they dropped the E500/550 wagon for '07. Funny, I saw a good number on the streets here in NYC. Probably didn't sell well elsewhere (no surprise.)
    Yeah I'm surprised that they would drop the E500/550 wagon too. Just like you've I've seen plenty of them in and around the Chicago area. On MBWorld.org they're saying that the E550 and E63 wagons will be sold here so we'll just have to wait and see.

Yes this new strategy for the E should give it the lead over the 5-Series in sales again.

M
    More information about the E63 AMG has been released prior to the official reveal of the entire E-Class lineup today.

Article

M
    I would not be surprised to see MB rationalize prices on several lines to address value/content and make the vehicles more competitive vs. the competition and remove some of the intrabrand issues. Somewhere the marketing has gone awry, especially with the R class.
    Well that will be a good thing. If they hold the price on the 2007 E while adding more standard equipment it will only help. I think the Luxury and Sport models will have the same base price too...someone in Jersey is finally getting a clue about pricing.

M
    The 2007 SL models go on sale this Saturday it seems. Larger volume dealers should already have them. The GL450 is at dealers now for test drives and it goes on sale officially next week, Wed the 19th I think.

The 07' E-Class lands in July.

The new CL is to be shown next month.

Autospies has their pic gallery up for the NY auto show, the R320 CDI is there so I guess it will really arrive this fall.

M
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    I hadn't caught this info before, so I was pretty excited to read at the Mercedes booth at the NY auto show today that the ML320 CDI is coming.

So, any info or projections on gas mileage? I'm thinking a combined average around 26-27 would be real nice to see on a luxo SUV like this.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Everything I've seen says at 28-30 MPG combined.

M
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    even better!

although, considering the ML350 takes about a 5mpg hit compared to the E350, and the E320 cdi gets 27/37 .... well, let's say that I'm certainly not counting on 30 in the diesel ML.

Still, at 22/32, it would do GREAT on the highway and even that city number rivals my highway number in my current sedan.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Worldcarfans (in the Germancar section) has a timeline for upcoming Mercedes 2007 (in the U.S.) model introductions.

Article

In short:

USA: ML63 AMG 4MATIC July 2006
    USA: CLS550 September 2006
    USA: CLK63 AMG Cabriolet September 2006
    USA: GL450 4Matic May 2006
    USA: E-Class July 2006
    USA: R320 CDI October 2005 und R63 AMG 4MATIC September 2006

It appears that the R500 and ML500 keep the ancient SOHC 5L V8! Don't get that at all. :confuse: It also mentions "further" CLK models, read CLK550.

M
    The 2007 GL450 has landed I see. The build your own feature is up at MBUSA.

There should be some type of announcement on the new CL very soon. I'd say sometime in the next couple of weeks or so prior to May 19th, a very big day in Stuttgart!

Autoweek is reporting that the G-Class' facelift will be shown at the Paris auto show this September.

The updated SLR "Track Sport" is also rumored to be heading for a Paris debut along with an SLR Roadster.

Sometime between now and then there should be an announcement about the SLK55 Tracksport. A lightened and stiffened SLK55 AMG with carbon fiber here and there and 400hp from the current 5.5L V8.

M
    The only thing is when are the Bluetec versions of the ML,R and GL going on sale in all 50 states. Mercedes is missing out on a lot of sales by not being able to sell diesels in New York, Maine and especially Cali. A GL320 Bluetec would get really good mileage for a vehicle of its size.

M
    Sales info for April 2006, up 13 percent compared to April 2005. The S,GL,R,CLK,SLK and to a lesser degree the E-Class all contributed to the gain.

Source

M
    1600 or so R's is probably not making anyone's day at MB. Given the increasing number that I am seeing, as well as the incentives, I thought it would be more.

MBUSA does seem to be shooting the lights out otherwise, though.
This discussion has been closed.