Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe

jveneziajvenezia Member Posts: 85
edited March 2014 in Hyundai
News about the 2005 Santa Fe is pretty sparse and is being eclipsed by the new Tuscon. So far, I've seen only two details: BorgWarner will supply the AWD system and the Santa Fe may be designated the Santa Fe CM (although the latter may not be for domestic consumption). Has anyone come across any details for the 2005 model? Will the styling change? Will the engine output remain the same? Will the warranty be changed? Any tidbits will be thoroughly chewed.

Comments

• rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Yea, I saw that thread at the site and the SUV pictured is the Santa Fe Mountaineer concept, but that doesn't mean the 05 Santa Fe will look like that...hopefully.
  • jveneziajvenezia Member Posts: 85
    ...but that's all it is. The Santa Fe has had an outstanding introduction so far and has actually led SUV styling cues (such as the "caved in" door panels) that other makers are imitating. It would be MUCH too risky for Hyundai to leap to such a radical redesign so soon, especially given their oft-quoted goal of becoming the number three import brand in the US. The US mainstream market simply won't tolerate such an ugly mug (which is why I also don't think the new Cadillac style will succeed). The style of the Tucson is more conventional and I believe that's the direction toward which the Santa Fe will head. I think the fender bulges will be flattened and the "fish lips" front end will go away.

But then again, it may just be wishful thinking. I really think that concept Santa Fe Mountaineer is absolutely hideous.
  • bigkahunaflbigkahunafl Member Posts: 128
    Are we sure the next generation is coming out in the 2005 model year?
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    I really wish Hyundai and Kia would dump the two-tone on their highline van and SUV's. It looks absolutely hideous. Monotone paint looks much better. I'm glad Lexus has finally gotten rid of it on the newest LS, ES, and RX models. Buick, if you're listening, the Rendezvous suffers from the same affliction.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I think some of the two-tones look really good. It can sometimes provide a sportier or more luxurious look.
    I agree, as long as it's not the same ol' gray color. The bottom "tone" ought to complement the upper color...same hue but different brightness.

I think that Hyundai ought to either go monochromatic or replace the lower body cladding color with something much more interesting than gray.
    Yesterday, I saw a brief statement somewhere (I forgot exactly where) that simply said the Santa Fe will get a complete makeover in '06 and will become larger and more powerful. Sounds like the '05 Santa Fe will remain unchanged until then.
    Sorry to hear that the Santy will be growing. I like the current size - fits well in my garage. And now with gas prices above $2.00, I think it will be a mistake for them to make a heavier vehicle. Ford and GM are giving some great incentives to move their big SUV's.
    I hope Hyundai will reconsider.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    They won't be reconsidering. With the introduction of the Tucson, the Sante fe is too close in size so it only makes sense to move it upmarket and make it bigger.
    With gas prices still rising, making a bigger vehicle doesn't make sense. Most of the large SUV's are not moving on dealer lots.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    but Hyundai has the Tucson. Hyundai ads now compare the Santa Fe to the Highlander w/o the 3rd row seat. Interesting. Will the next gen Santa Fe get a 3rd row seat?
    The next generation Santa Fe will probably get the 3rd row seat since the Sorento is rumored to get it for MY05.
    when the '05 Santa Fe will be on the streets? I'm thinking somewhere between the end of July and the end of September. I don't think Hyundai has to wait too long to clear out '04 inventory since the model sold so well.

Historically, when have the new Hyundai models been released?
  • player4player4 Member Posts: 362
    OK, from what ive heard the second generation Hyundai Santa Fe will be model year 2006 not 2005.
    they'll come out Summer/Fall 2005, not 2004.
    Yup, not 05 people!
    shouldn't someone change the title to 2006 Hyundai Santa Fe?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I'll change it as soon as we update our future vehicles page - we like to keep the board in sync with what we've got on the site.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

ok. for now we have to keep telling newcomers that it'll be the 2006 Hyundai Santa Fe, not the 2005 Santa Fe.
    I'm hearing from other sources that there's definitely going to be a 2005 "refresh" to be released in September (just found out the release date).
    Here's the latest drawing...
    That grill looks like a slightly modified grill from the Kia Amanti. The stacked headlights are toned down versions of those found on the concept Hyundai Santa Fe Mountaineer.
    Picture aint workin.
    I'll try to post the image again. Here is it...
  • rhouser2rhouser2 Member Posts: 114
    any mention of interior upgrades? how about side curtain air bags?,3 point belts and head rests for all seating positions. the tucson is advertised as having seat mounted side air bags and available side cutains.
    There was a concept that was build and it was to resemble the next generation Santa Fe, it had those headlamps that are on that sketch and like the same grille. IMO Its not bad looking but it looks WAY too much like the Cadillac SRX.
    I've heard that the interior has a "refresh" as well; but the only details I've read about were overall impression of quality. It's gone up quite a bit. "Niiiice" was a common word used. What that means to us is anyone's guess. I'd imagine Hyundai would borrow bits and pieces from both Hyundai and Kia to flesh out this stopgap model, with an overall trend toward refining the quality to bring it up to its eventual segment. How's that for MBA-speak?

But overall, I think the Santa Fe is going after Toyota Highlander territory, which means upgrading everything on the vehicle.
    Yup. That concept is the Santa Fe Mountaineer. It's been around for two years and has a more radical front end and cladding than the drawing I submitted earlier. The number one comment I heard was exactly what you said — it looks like the Cadillac.

Here's a drawing and a photo of the Mountaineer...
    wouldn't Mercury have a few words to say about Hyundai using the name Mountaineer? And yes, it does look like a Cadillac SRX.
    Reminds me of something you'd find in Who Framed Roger Rabbit as a cartoonist's parody of an SUV (a CUV?).
    Hyundai's Conmcept is quite old and i believe it was unveiled before Mercury unveiled its Mountaineer. Bus anyways its just a concept.
    the Mountaineer was introduced in 1997 as a rebadged Ford Explorer, I believe. Are you saying that the Santa Fe Mountaineer has been around for at least 8 years? (1996) And, yes, this is just a concept, but it still gets Joe Average confused when he looks at it (The Santa Fe Mountaineer) and then walks on over to the Mercury display and sees a larger SUV made by Ford, not Hyundai
  • ammswarzammswarz Member Posts: 3
    Those pictures look a lot more like the new 2004 Hyundai Tucson. Compare the vertical trim on the grille and the lack of curve on the side panels.

http://www.hyundaitucson.com
  • ahutchesonahutcheson Member Posts: 3
    Good Morning:
         I've been reading the Santa Fe messages concerning the new 2005 model. I just purchased one last week, actually the day they arrived on the dealers lot. It is very similar to the 2004 model except for minor changes. The front grill is no longer the "fish" mouth but now has another bar across the opening which looks much better. Up here in Canada we haven't even heard of the "Mountaineer" model. I've driven the new Tucson and it's quite a bit smaller, especially behind the rear seats. I researched all the same class SUV's extensivley before deceiding on the Santa Fe and I am very pleased with my choice. It is built better and far more solid than the Escape. If nothing else would entice you to buy the Santa Fe, the warranty alone is enough to make the choice a no-brainer. Thanks for letting me rant, and I hope this info helps prospective buyers. Bye for now, Hutch.
    Thanks, Hutch. Besides the grill, is the rest of the appearance like all the photos we've submitted? Also, what about the interior? How does it look and "feel" compared to the 2004 model? Has the price gone up any significant amount?
  • ahutchesonahutcheson Member Posts: 3
    Hello J Venezia:
         Glad to get a response. :) The overall appearance is very similar to the 2004. It may be a little bigger, but gives the impression of being "tighter or firmer?"...hope you know what I mean. On the road I found I felt more in control and the vehicle was much more responsive and quick feeling. The interior was set up much the same as the '04 but the materials were nicer and the color scheme (light & dark grey) is very easy to live with. The price is very much the same as the 2004 model. We got a brand new 2005 with the 4 cylinder engine mated to a 5 speed manual transmission for the same price as a 2004 base model 6 cylinder automatic without any bells or whistles. We wanted the 5 speed as we have always had standard transmissions and we are very happy with the vehicle. We are geting more than adequate power from the 138 hp engine and good gas mileage. So far, no complaints. We are going on an extended journey in the new year and will up-date our experiences when we return. Overall...very happy, Hutch.
  • rgwrgw Member Posts: 6
    Go to www.hyundainews.com, 2005 press kit, 2005 models. Everything you want to know is there. rgw.
    Outstanding. Thanks again. Personally, I've whittled down my choices to either a Mazda Tribute "S" AWD with the 200 HP engine, or the Santa Fe GLS AWD with the 3.5 engine. I've owned enough Fords to be pretty wary of them and the Ford engine in the Mazda still keeps me cautious, but at least it's been improved quite a bit. The big turnoff about the Santa Fe so far has been the cartoonish front end (fish lips and big bulging fenders) and the lack of power for such a heavy vehicle when paired with an automatic tranny (which is mandatory for my wife and daughter...who is just about to begin learning to drive). The 3.5 ought to clear up any power issues and should (hopefully) avoid many of the issues with the 2.7 liter engine. That leaves only the transmission and fuel system as points of concern. I'm looking forward to test driving both the Mazda and Hyundai. With all else being equal (assuming the "go factor" is roughly the same for each), I'll probably choose the Santa Fe.
    Jim
    Thanks, rgw. It looks great.
This discussion has been closed.