Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sedona

Comments

• yapsteryapster Member Posts: 2
    Even though I have only heard that the new Sedona will offer seating for seven, I would be really happy if the 2006 Sedona offered seating for eight like the Odyssey and the Sienna. Looking at the 11 seat Carnival, I can see how they could achieve that by eliminating the third row of seats in the Carnival.The other thing that I am hoping for is 27 Hwy MPG or better. Other than seating and gas mileage, the 2006 Sedona looks like a possibility for me in the future.
  • quigquig Member Posts: 16
    Called dealership 9-23-05 they don't even know so they said.
  • huffkiamomhuffkiamom Member Posts: 5
    Hi there. This is my first post here, but I have been checking in every now and then, looking for new info on the 2006 Sedona. We own a 2002 Sedona Ex and have been eagerly awaiting the 2006 (mostly for the fold in floor third row). Way back in the early pages of this forum there was a link to kiamedia.com. It said " To log in there, you are supposed to be a 'journalist.' Turns out the ID is kiamedia and password is optima." I have been checking there occasionally for new info on the 06. Today I discovered that they have added to the specs and now have a features and options section on the 06.

Though the EPA gas milage isn't as good as I had hoped (17 city/25 hwy/20 combined), everything else looks promising to me. I did not, however, see anything mentioned about a NAV system, which I know many of you would like. I also didn't see any mention of two-tone paint on the EX (which I would like).

Just thought some of you might like to take a look. Sorry if this has already been posted.
  • jimbob1jimbob1 Member Posts: 70
    Thanks for the kiamedia info. Very interesting.

Regarding the EPA estimates, it wouldn't surprise me if the actual mileage for highway driving turns out to be a bit higher. That seems to be a pattern for Kias, if I remember correctly.
  • hrngffcrhrngffcr Member Posts: 90
    I went back and looked at the Kia media website after huffkiamom's post (#309). I note that it lists "Split-double folding, removable third row" rather than the fold-into-the-floor third row seat that the Sedona model had at the Chicago auto show, and which the published pictures show. Now I know that the Dodge Caravan short wheel base does not have a foldable third row seat, but the first Sedona on the market is supposed to be a long wheel base with the short wheel base to follow. But according to odysomeday (#296) the 11 passenger Grand Carnival/Sedona will be available mid-year 2006 per Kia customer service. Pretty obviously, the short wheelbase is not going to be the 11 seater--the two concepts don't go together. But Paul Butterfield, in a September 22, 2005 news conference said that the long wheel base will be at the dealers in the first quarter of 2006 with the short wheel base to follow later in the year. Meanwhile, at the unveiling of the Grand Carnival in Korea, the press was being told that it would be exported in September of this year. :sick:

So, is the seven seater the short or long wheelbase? Will the short wheelbase only have a removable third row seat? Will we get the 11 seater? Is that the long wheel base? Which is coming out first? Etc, Etc.

By the way, if you haven't looked at the website listed by odysomeday in #296, you should. It shows the Grand Carnival. For someone who likes to get his cars pretty fully loaded (since I will keep them for a while and I want to enjoy them), I can only hope that they sell a Sedona in the US that has all of the goodies available on that Grand Carnival. That is one fancy minivan.

Anybody have any insight into the long wheelbase/short wheelbase, 11 seater/seven seater, which comes first confusion?
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Isn't is possible that the long and short wheelbase versions of the 2006 Sedona both will have 7-person capacity?

If Kia introduced a version of its 2006 Sedona that was not available with a foldaway 3rd row seat, they would be nuts. I think all manufacturers know better than that nowadays. That feature is fast-becoming a necessity in the minds of many/most new minivan buyers these days. I haven't been following the press releases and other web info, but I would expect short and long wheelbase models to have the 3rd row foldaway available, if not standard.
  • navyairnavyair Member Posts: 202
    BD,

Concur, but then all auto manufacturers still introduce cars with only one sunvisor per side and the Ford style with two each has been out for how many years? Ditto the nav system.

Amazing that they would offer a system like power doors and lift gate (nightmares as they age) but no nav system as options.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Get a Garmin. We love ours. Use it in all 3 cars, too.

-juice
    I agree about the foldaway third row seat being a necessity and a given. But, as I say, when last I checked, the short wheel base Caravan did not have a foldable third row seat (apparently there is no place to fold it down into). So might the short wheelbase Sedona (based on the quoted language from the Kia media website) be the same way?

If the Sedona at the Chicago auto show was one of the long wheelbase models(foldable third row seat), are you thinking that they will just shoe horn in a fourth row of seats in that same wheelbase?

In regard to the nav system, it would seem like it would be available at some point since the Grand Carnival has such a system (including back up cameras like the fully equipped Ody), and we are supposed to get the Grand Carnival (as a Sedona Limited, perhaps?) sometime in 2006, according to a prior post.

Finally, if you go to http://grandcarnival.kia.co.kr/showroom/grandcarnival.html and leave off the "showroom/grandcarnival.html" part, it shows a "video" of the various configurations of the 11 seat model (although it goes so fast it is hard to keep up), and it appears that maybe the fourth row can be taken out and the second and third row can then be moved back on tracks and the third row folded into the floor.

I wish Kia would get on with it and give us the information on all of the models and configurations planned.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I'd be interested in the possibility of an 11 seater, even if that means its a little cramped back there.

I could be expecting a sudden surge of relatives in the next 2 years...

Which means I'll need another minivan. 11 seats would be nice. Sort of a just in case thing.

I have my eyes on an Odyssey EX-L though. But the Sedona is very compelling. Lower price. Longer warranty. Most of the features.

Gimme eleven seats, a NAV systen, and parking sonars, and I'm sold. :D
    this guy seems to love the Sedona.

And he does have a point. Why dump $36,000 on an Odyssey EX-L RES-NAV or Sienna XLE when a Sedona EX may do the same thing for $28,000? (minus the NAV of course)

I'll wait and see though. The Odyssey is still first on my list because of 28 MPG and available Navigation.
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    I had planned on waiting for the 2006 Sedona to arrive. My choices were between the Sienna, Odyssey and new Sedona. In April, 2005 we bought a new Sportage. The Sportage has been wonderful although subject to two recalls in the first month. My main concern is the depreciation factor for the Sedona and the not so good frequency of repair on earlier models as reported by Consumer Reports. I am quite certain the new Sendona is going to be very real competiton for the Honda and Toyota because the cost will be much less. All that said, on Monday I purchased a 2006 Odyssey EX-L. I feel the Honda quality, value and excellent resale will make my decision as good one down the road.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    What is the latest on when the Sedona will be available. It looks like I may need to purchase fairly soon and would like to look at one.
    The news stories when the Sedona was first shown indicated that the exports would start in September. However, now all indications say more like January, 2006. From what I've been able to read, it seems that the delay may be due to strikes by the Hyundai and Kia labor unions causing production delays. They apparently are behind in meeting domestic purchases, much less building enough to begin supplying dealers in Europe and the U. S.
  • dm3dm3 Member Posts: 25
    I'd also bother to take a look at a Dodge Grand Caravan SXT or Town and Country touring. They drive very well, you might be surprised. Odysseys high mileage rating is hype. Real world folks don't get anywhere near that.
    I'm keeping all options open.

Won't be buying for a while though. Just getting a jump start on research.
  • cbreezescbreezes Member Posts: 1
    We have the 2003 Kia Sedona and LOVE IT!! We love all the nooks & crannys for storage .. I LOVE the map bin (If it could be a little deeper that would be nice) .. And all those cup holders wow .. Plus the fact that they hold the larger cups is really nice (the reason we passed on other models)

Some changes & additions would make it even better .. My husband finds it rather cramped in the driver's seat .. I doesn't go back far enough for his long legs .. Having windows that open in the mid section would be great .. The idea of in vehicle storage for seats is wonderful .. One last thing I'd love to see on the Sedona is On*Star .. All vehicles should come with that safety feature .. We live in the mountains of Virginia and on icey/snowy days it would certainly give one peace of mind as you're traveling thru the mountains!
    My main concerns are gas mileage and price.

If its low enough, I could buy a nice Honda Civic or Hyundai Sonata with the savings.

On the otherhand, I have lukewarm feelings about my Odyssey. New tranny at 70K miles? Not exactly comforting.

Although that's still not as much as some people face with their cars.
    The EPA rates the 2006 Kia Sedona at 17 city/25 highway.
    good info, thanks. That's a big improvement versus the '02-'05 Sedona, which is impressive considering the '06 has a much bigger, much more powerful engine. But once again, Kia is 'catching up' to the acceptable range of other minivans, but they are a bit late. 17/25 is just fine, but other vans were doing that 3-5 years ago. I'm sure the other companies' new minivan models will best those numbers. The '05 Ody already does, and I think the current-generation Sienna does too.
    OnStar is a great idea and a nice safety feature. We could have gotten it when we were picking out a Chevy Malibu Maxx last fall, but decided it was not a crucial item. 17 bucks a month for the service is ridiculous, in my opinion.
    $17 a month for peace of mind plus a reduction in your insurance. OnStar has the ability to locate a missing or stolen vehicle. Knowing I will automatically get help in a crash is worth how much?
    17/25 is weak. My 2006 Odyssey is rated 20/28. The engine being used in the new Sedona is once of the largest for a minivan.
    Are Ody's actually getting that in the real world, though? Early on I heard they weren't.

Considering the old one was 15/20 IIRC, this is a big improvement. And if it can manage those numbers in the real world, I think it'll do fine.

-juice
    So far for the first 900 miles I am averaging about 21 mpg in mixed driving with my Odyssey.
    AN just released a breaking news story - they say the Hyundai van is back on. That means we might see an Entourage after all.

artgpo: 21mpg aint' bad, but it's not up to EPA estimates. Then again, what car is, right?

-juice
    not bad, but not great.

Add nav to the Entourage, and the deal could be sealed.

That Sienna XLE Limited sure looks appealing though...

My 2002 Odyssey can sometimes go above EPA estimates, but right now its facing some issues. (see the Odyssey Problems board)
    Especially with AWD, it's my favorite van. But add leather, DVD, Nav, and a few other options and the price gets downright scary. Loaded ones can hit $42k.

If Hyundai can deliver that for an MSRP under $30k, and a real-world price still close to $5 grand lower, I'd be impressed.

$5 grand buys you a lot of gas.

-juice
    the Sienna Limited just feels like a Lexus.

If Hyundai can emulate the Sienna Limited in an Entourage Limited, and price it to move at $30K (or even $33,500) I'll be seriously interested.
    17/25 is a big improvement, but as stated not quite up to Honda and Toyota. I think part of the reason that Honda did so well on the EPA tests is that the tests average 48 mph for the highway portion. This is a speed where the engine is just loafing along.

If you are driving 80 mph on the highway the ECO will definately not be on - just too much wind drag. In fact the non VCM Odyssey would probably get better mpg at real fast highway speeds because it is geared taller.

The Sedona is very interesting, but I could not wait and wound up getting a Sienna (actually it is being built tomorrow). The Honda had some advantages, but for the way I wanted the vehicle configured it was about $3,000 more expensive (had to pile on a bunch of things I did not want to the Honda). The best features of the Honda in my opinion is the 7+1 seating and the extra room in the third row.

I will drive the Sedona when it comes out just to see what it is like - always fun to compare.
    I thought it was interesting that in CR tests the Sienna actually used a tad less gas than the Ody.

-juice
  • cavaliericavalieri Member Posts: 2
    Let me ask you a questions where are you going every day that you need to have a navigation system? Isn't there enough to worry about when you drive that you also need to have a navigation system to look at. and also items like that only ad to the price of the vehicle and offer no real value.
  • cavaliericavalieri Member Posts: 2
    Here the definition of a minivan according to must dictionaries

A small box-shaped passenger van; usually has removable seats; used as a family car

A small passenger van having a boxlike shape, side and rear windows, and typically removable rear seats for cargo.

Now here is the definition of a minivan according to my personal experience

A box-shaped people hauler with mediocre space and semi-confortable seats usually purchased when a married couple finally realises that the little toyota corolla is not sufficient to carry all the kids and their junk around usually used to take the kids shopping and for supermarket or even that dreaded costco ride or if you can't afford to buy that denali that the neighbor has.
    It is also used as a garbage disposal for the kids oreos cherios mcdonald fries and to hold cups in every cocievable hole that is avilable it is not ment to be fuel efficient and is not meant to replace daddy's vette.

Thank you
    For my family:

A comfortable, reliable road warrior that also handles trees, bagged mulch, furniture, and relatives with ease. It offers value, decent MPG numbers, and a nice foldaway 3rd row.
    Oh my, where do I start? I feel almost the exact opposite, in so many ways...

I'll try, and I'll keep this polite.

Where do people go every day? Well, with Points-of-Interest included, NAV would tell you where the gas stations are, and it can find the 5 closest pizza places if the kids get a craving for pizza. Not to mention directions to unfamiliar places (imagine if you had a sales/delivery job).

More worries? Actually, not at all, you have far less to worry about. You can sit back and relax, knowing the NAV will warn you in advance of the next turn. Never miss a turn again. More importantly, never stress out over possibly missing a turn again. You worry far, far less.

No real value? I'd argue that's not true. I'll give several examples:

1. We were in Ocean City, MD, at Sunfest, and the parking lot was closed for the festival. They told us to drive to the Convention Center (dozens of blocks) and then pay to ride the bus back in. Round trip we would have wasted over an hour, and $8 for bus fair. Instead I used NAV to find alternate parking lots nearby, the NAV even supplied the phone number so I called in advance to make sure it was open and had vacant spots. Parked at a meter for under $2 and saved at least an hour of time. That's only $6, but we had a friend with us, and they saved a similar amount of money.

2. Needed gas in Leesburg, VA, unfamiliar area to me. This was back in September when prices went nuts. I was near empty and saw gas for $3.29, ouch. Used the NAV to find that there were 3 more gas stations within a couple of miles. Found gas for $2.99. Without NAV, I would have paid $.30 cents more per gallon, at 14 gallons that saved me $4.20. More importantly I was never stressed because I knew that gas was readily available, the NAV even gave me directions.

3. Same thing, with gas, going to Williamsburg, VA. Saw that a Wawa was close by, and not only do I love those places, but they also always seem to have cheap gas. Save another few bucks plus found a clean bathroom in the middle of nowhere. Now that was priceless!

4. Kids got a Big Mac attack, I was able to locate the nearest McD's, not only that but I could actually see it on the map and knew that it was not far off the exit. My pet peeve is when those road signs send you 3 miles off the highway for a pit stop that you'd want to do quickly. Saved us time and helped us find McNuggets for our picky eater that would otherwise have gone hungry.

There are more but you get the idea...

When you start using the points of interest, you find things that you use *every day*, not just then you are lost or need directions.

I paid $404, and I'd argue that given the time and aggravation it has saved me (time is money), I've already broken even, and I only got it this summer!

JD Powers said that 47% of shoppers want NAV in their next vehicle. They won't all necessarily spend the extra money, but they want it. Tom Tom and Garmin only now started advertising on TV. NAV is going to really take off.

-juice
    I would like to have nav, and would even pay $404 for it, but unfortunately some vehicles package things so that it is a few thousand dollars. That is a little steep.

Might be different if I still lived on the East coast, but now the state I am in has about 1/10th the population as the metro area juice is in. I pretty much know all the roads in the whole state - there are not that many.

BTW cavalieri - nice collection of unsubstantiated generalizations. I could offer a similar rambling towards an SUV, but I won't bore everybody with the obvious.
    I like it too especially since my PDA set up works well and costs little.

It still doesn't have the ease of a factory unit, but its great when a co-pilot is in the car and can type in the addresses or dig up the POIs.

I'll be looking for it in my next van from the factory if possible. Otherwise, I could get an aftermarket dedicated navigation system. I saw those at Sam's for $999 or something.
  • dharmondharmon Member Posts: 13
    In today's paper Len Hunt, new executive vp of Kia Mtrs Of NA said the lineup will be revamped over the next few months. There's a new Sedona minivan coming in FEBRUARY, a new midsize Optima sedan in April and then face lifts for the compact Spectra sedan, Sorento SUV and midsize Amanti sedan next summer. A new vehicle "that we aren't talking about yet" arrives next fall. Kia is also toying with a product intro for the Chicago Auto Show in February.
    I have not been on this forum for awhile so I don't know if there was still some confusion as to when the Sedona would be out.
    He came from VW, and should do great things at Kia. I look forward to seeing it.

-juice
    new Sedona in February, eh?

That should coincide perfectly with my planned minivan purchase in March. (1 more car to add to the list of test drives)
  • carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    Sedona is gonna debut in Canadian Market next month!

2 Previews from Toronto Stars

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_- - - - - pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1132872611029

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_- - - - - pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1132872611029

Even there is a leap forward from past gen, it still falls short on competition!
    -Bad City Fuel economy (EPA 16.6 mpg)!
    -Unrefine+"Sluggish" engine!
    -kids 3rd row legroom
    -2nd row seat could not form a bench
    etc
  • slovanslovan Member Posts: 10
    I believe Toronto Star posted only one preview not two. Quite interesting.
    From the article:
    The weight of EX with Luxury package is 2100KG (4630Lbs) that is about 172 less then 05 Sedona (4802Lbs). Hopefully a LX will be even lighter.

City:14.2 L/100km (16.6 MPG)
    Highway: 8.6 L/100km (27.4 MPG); that's a somewhat better then the old one (16/22 MPG).
    Funny thing is that Kia.ca post for 05 Sedona 19.1 / 29.4 mpg
    while Kia.com has 16/22 mpg for same vehicle with same powertrain. So I'm not sure how Canada measure fuel economy...
    We had purchased a 2005 Sportage in April of this year. Based on the build quality and comfort of the Sportage I was prepared to wait for the new Sedona. After thinking about it for a while and seeing the EPA mileage estimates for the '06 Sedona I opted to buy a 2006 Odyssey. Even though the Sedona is going to be $1,000s less than it competitors, I think the Odyssey is a better buy. First, the rear seat legroom is good only for children? What's with that? My Honda can carry six foot adults in the rear seat in comfort.

The horsepower issue is another big deal. The Honda is very powerful and responsive. If the Kia can't get out of its own way and has poor mileage then it is not going to sell well.

Glad I didn't wait.
    You certainly can't go wrong with the current Ody.

The reviewer's comments may prove to be spot-on, but they are only the comments of a single person. Who knows if 6-footers can or cannot be comfortable in the 3rd row seat? Maybe the 2006 Sedona 3rd row seat is adjustable forward/backward as the 2002-2005 Sedona is. My '02 3rd seat slides several inches forward/back, allowing customization of the desired cargo capacity vs. legroom.

Are the official 2006 Sedona EPA fuel economy estimates actually released yet, or is it just preliminary data and/or speculation? I'm confident the '06 Sedona will use more gas than the current gen Ody/Sienna, but it's still up in the air as to the size of that gap.
    The 2006 Sedona fuel mileage estimates are in the current EPA Fuel Mileage guide.

It would be really odd for Kia to have blown it by not having enough leg room in the back seat. They have had lots of time to copy Toyota and Honda, the best of the best.
    refresh my memory on the '06 Sedona EPA ratings.

as the reviewer noted, Kia may have purposely opted for even more cargo room at the expense of 3rd row legroom. i haven't seen a van or any specs yet so cannot give an educated opinion on either figure. if that is indeed what Kia did, it is up to each individual buyer to decide if they like it. could be a poor design choice by Kia, or maybe it will prove to be a great market differentiator-- 'our new Sedona has 30% more rear cargo room with the rear seat up than any other minivan...'
    The EPA rates the 2006 Kia Sedona at 17 city/25 highway.