Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sedona

Comments

• biggitybiggity Member Posts: 25
    > The problem is when I am driving the seat must be all
    > the way back to be comfortable - but for my wife, who is
    > approx the same height as I, but with longer legs -
    > finds the driver side too crowded for leg room and not
    > at all comfortable.

> Has anyone else had issues with this besides myself and
    > uga91 (post # 506)?

> Does the 2007 Hyundai Entourage (basically the same van)
    > address this problem?

Yes. I have the same problem. Not enough leg room, and the left footrest on the driver's side is in the way. I cannot fit my big foot between the footrest and brake pedal to stretch!

Kia, fix this!!!!!

Irrespective of demographics that show that there is enough leg room for most drivers most of the time, no one wants to spend over $20K on a vehicle for their wife that they cannot really drive comfortably when they want or need to. I am 100% ready to buy, and after looking at all the mininvans, the only deciding factor for me is room for the driver. Grand Caravan barely works for legroom, but it does not work for headroom. Ughh.

Just BTW, Honda Element has the most seating room I have seen (except for some monsters like the Nissan Armada SUV), and it is quite versatile, so I bought one of those in 2005 while waiting for the Sedona. It works well for a second 4-person family car with a big husband. Only problem, gas mileage is bad. We are getting 20 mpg in town.

The Element has kept us going, but we are still itching for a full size minivan, as the Element is cramped for space on trips, and you can't seat more than four.

I was just getting ready to bite the bullet and buy a Kia for my wife when I noticed that the Entourage is out. (I thought I read in 2005 that Hyundai canned the Entourage in USA.) I'm hoping it is at least a little better than the Kia. The review below says that the Entourage legroom is not so good, but you never know. A review is sometimes nothing like a test drive, so off I go ASAP.

http://www.carpages.ca/go/roadtest/2007_hyundai_entourage_road_test.aspx

While headroom throughout the Entourage is more than ample, legroom in the executive chair isn't. After several hours behind the wheel I was wishing I could move the driver's seat further rearward, allowing a little more stretch, but alas the seat had already given all it had. In keeping with the leg-related lament, the foot-operated parking brake location conflicted with my left ankle.
    > i also found that funky dead pedal thing (left foot
    > rest) a huge annoyance, cutting left leg room by several
    > inches. anyone know if that thing is removable for
    > taller drivers?

Yes, yes, has any tried to remove the driver's left
    footrest thing? If so:

* How hard is it?
    * Is it possible to put it back?
    * What does it expose?
    * Is it sharp and uncomfortable to rest your foot once
    removed, or is it relatively flat?
    * How much extra room is there between the brake pedal and
    the exposed area?
    * Can you then strecth your leg under the console?

This would be very helpful information for many people I think. So, anyone, please.
    Manufacturer information about legroom and headroom is dubious for several reason:

1) You don't know exactly the points they are measuring between.

2) You don't know if they are fibbing a bit.

3) You don't know how much extra room you may get from the give in the seat cushions.

4) You don't see other data like whether parking brake pedals or footrests or molding may be in the way of comfort, and how far you can streath your legs under the console.

5) Actual comfort depends on a particular person's actual proportions and other factors about them.
  • b9driverb9driver Member Posts: 118
    This is something to discuss with your dealer. My doors don't lock automatically. I did add a remote starter though and that has a autolock available for when you leave the car...dangerous though if you fortget your keys!

Capt RB
    2006 Sedona
    5) Actual comfort depends on a particular person's actual proportions and other factors about them.>>>

Well said. I'm 6'3 and have room. But it really depends on the person's build and how they like to drive. Still, I'd like two more inches....but I'm still quite comfortable in the Sedona. Removing the footrest? Hmmmm. I suppose that could help.

Capt RB
    2006 Sedona
    NY
  • juicedupjuicedup Member Posts: 7
    I live on Long Island, NY and between visiting and calling contacted 6 dealers and not one had the Kia with all three packages in stock. Now the rebates and financing deals are not as good as the ones that expired 5/31/06. I own a 2003 Sedona EX that has given us 49k of trouble free miles except for two recalls that were fixed in a couple of hours. My wife and I love the 2006 and wanted to upgrade to it but I guess we will have to wait now.
    Major Kia on Northern Blvd. had plenty of loaded Sedona's a couple of weeks ago. I can't imagine they're all gone and no more came in.

Capt RB
    2006 Sedona
  • juicedupjuicedup Member Posts: 7
    thanks b9driver. I live on Eastern Long Island and didn't check Major. I went to Stevins,Atlantic,Autoworld,Eagle, and called Smith Haven and Sun. It would have been a good idea to check Major but my wife didn't want to go all the way to Queens. The incentives were excellent now it would cost me $1000 more plus a higher rate according to the Kia website. I feel like calling Kia to complain. Do you think that would help?
    I paid under 28K for my totally loaded Sedona in glacier blue, with an alarm and remote start as well. Even without the incentive you can come close I think. They want to sell volume.
    Ask for Lou and tell them Bob Brody sent you and I make 200 bucks for the referal if you buy!

Good luck...you can contact me for more info if you like.

Capt Robert B
    Queens, NY
    2006 Sedona
  • 54gradsteds54gradsteds Member Posts: 102
    For those of you who already own a new Kia Sedona, or those anticipating purchase of same, check out the article by Warren Brown in today's Washington Post !!! Never have I seen such praise for a vehicle as this !!
  • putercentsputercents Member Posts: 3
    I took my 2006 Sedona on a week holiday to Virginia Beach putting 2500 miles on the odometer. Here are a few impressions. First the odometer is wildly optomistic out by almost 10 percent verified by gps and construction radar. I will be speaking to Kia to find the tolerence on the speedometer. We were loaded (and I mean loaded, 3 adults and 2 kids with all our camping gear and the van had power to spare (two large containers on the roof). The rear suspension was low, the trailer hitch bottomed out too many times for comfort (no trailer just the internal load). Fuel ecomomy was better than my 2002 Olds minivan but that minivan was a pig. I will give the numbers once I sit down and do the math. The seats and driving was comfortable, the air worked well in 101 degree heat. I will look into changing the rear shocks to air shocks. I have 4000 KM on the van and so far other than the speedometer out by 10 percent I am very pleased with the Sedona.
  • crimmaj500crimmaj500 Member Posts: 2
    I am getting ready to buy a minivan and would like input regarding these two vans. The Grand Caravan SE and the Sedona LX. I have test driven both and here are my impressions of each.

Exterior:
    Grand Caravan is better looking but it still looks like the 1996 that my parents have. I like the greenhouse better but the head and tail lights are not to my liking. And why does Dodge have to use black fascias on all the base models of their vehicles? Sedona looks they aped the look of the Sienna and threw in an Odyssey front end. Not as smooth as Caravan but tasteful and elegant and less common on the road. Also, sliding door tracks are not tucked away like on Caravan.

Interior:
    No contest Sedona is much better and feature filled compared to the Caravan. Caravan dash looks ugly, MUCH worser than the 1996 model. Has black treatments and black solid lightweight(ie. cheap) buttons. Kind of feels like a rental car not a 2006 vehicle. Sedona dash looks and feels more upscale. Armrests on Caravan are stiff and uncomfortable. Seating comfort also goes to Sedona. I do not want the Stow&Go on the Caravan as the rear buckets on those models feel like they were designed for midgets. Third-row in Caravan feels thinly padded and storage compartments feel cheaper than 1996 model. 3rd row legroom seems a bit tight in both models but fine for my purposes. Stereo systems about equal quality. 3-zone AC standard on Sedona have to pay $2000 extra for package that includes p/w, p/l, and some other things on GC. I like the column shifter on the Caravan better but Sedona has Sportmatic feature.

Powertrain:
    Sedona also takes this one. Caravan feels taxed when accelerating into interstate until transmission shifts. Sedona is smoother and much more powerful. And it is a DOHC unit vs the GC's pushrod V-6. Also has extra gear on transmission. Fuel economy is 19/26 on Caravan vs 18/25 for Sedona. I'll take the tradeoff of 1mpg for 64 more hp.

Safety:
    No firsthand experience here thankfully. Sedona has everything standard. GC has curtain airbags optional but no VSC or TPMS. Can get TPMS by upgrading to SXT model but then I get stuck with Stow&Go. Another one for the Sedona.

Price:
    Did not start negotiations yet at any dealer. GC stickers at 27,735. There is currently a 4000 rebate bringing the price down to 23,735. Sedona Sticker of 24,865 with the DVD package. Dealers here try to add 1,495 for an environmental protection package which is really a ripoff fee. After telling me it was required, salesperson decided to change his mind after I objected to it strongly. There is currently a 1500 rebate and I can get an additional 400 for the college grad rebate. Total MSRP before negotiations is $22,295. I figure that Dodge dealers will be willing to budge a bit more on the price of the GC. Hopefully there will be employee sales soon.

My Conclusion:
    I can't believe I'm saying this but I would much rather have a Kia over the Caravan. I tried so much to like the Dodge as my family has owned 2 Caravans but it seems to be outclassed by newer competition. It's time for Dodge to redesign these to keep up.

Has anybody else compared these two vans. I would like to compare notes and thoughts with anybody else.
    Has anybody else compared these two vans. I would like to compare notes and thoughts with anybody else. >>>>

There is no comparison. Kia mostly targeted the Sienna and Honda minivans for the Sedona, not the terrible Chrysler vans which continue to trail in almost every area. I still think the AWD Sienna is probably the best van as it's AWD, BUT after that the Sedona is actually nicer than the other entries including the Honda. Forget the Caravan.
    BTW, Kia chose to only make the 3rd row stowable so they'd have better 2nd row seats than the Caravan...which they do. Not only that but the 13 speaker infinity DVD stereo system in the Sedona EX is not only better than the Caravan's, it's perhaps one of the best on the market for stock systems.
    Power wise the Sedona is the class leader and then there's the warranty.
    The ONLY thing to worry about is how often the Sedona will require service...to many visits can be a hassle time-wise. Only time will tell.
    Thus far our loaded Kia EX impresses everyone...it's even nicer than our Subaru Tribeca (also a nice ride) and feels every bit as upscale as the Lexus GS330. The 7.1 surround sound DVD system is amazing, the ride is quiet, handling surprisingly tight...and I we don't hear a single rattle!
    This is my list of BEST MINIVANS..based on driving them, sitting in them and so on....

Toyota Sienna AWD
    Kia Sedonna EX
    Honda Odyssey (also great when loaded!)

After these come the US built models which are pretty awful. My father owned 2 Chrysler minivans and they showed awful quality issues. He finally got the message and bought a Subaru...can't wait for their minivan!
    In short....don't get a Caravan.

Good luck,

Capt RB
    2006 Sedona
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    I think your impressions of the two minivans echo my feelings as well. Our turnoffs of the DCX vans were:
    - Dashboard layout
    - Overall fit and finish
    - Stow&Go seats uncomfortable
    - Average safety ratings
    - Lack of stability control
    - "Old school" engine and 4 speed transmission
    - Not as powerful as competitors
    - Questionable reliability
    - Questionable resale
    - Warranty not as long as competitors (Honda, Toyota, Kia)

That said, here are some advantages:
    - Price. In my area you can get a completely loaded GC SXT with leather, heated seats, power doors and liftgate, sunroof, DVD player, etc for $24K
    - The Kia's second row seats do not slide sideways
    - Larger dealer network for service/warranty issues

Like the DCX vans, the Kia also has questionable reliability and resale (verdict is obviously still out on the 06, but the previous generation Sedona had poor reliability according to CR). Obviously the new generation of Kia vans is superior to the previous generation but Kia needs to continue to build on their reliability.

Overall, I would probably go with the Kia. The safety features and just overall engineering and fit and finish are huge factors.
  • sookyassookyas Member Posts: 2
    After a couple of Kia tests drives I noticed a few items. I was wondering if anyone had noticed the following:

1. The passenger side, middle-row captain chair has a big protruding dimple, right in the middle of the cloth seat. It's only on that seat and I have seen it on three Sedona '06 vans of various trim levels, at different dealerships. Has anyone seen this as well? There is not damage to the cloth, it just stick up for some reason! It's pretty hard to miss.

2. I also noticed wind noise on the passenger side front door at highway speeds. I opened and closed the door and window just to make sure but it was still there.

3. The A/C did not seem to cool as well as some other vans I had test driven. It was a pretty hot day but I just wanted to check if anyone was not happy with their A/C.

Besides those questions, I am sold on the van. Would like to get the EX with power options package in a couple of weeks.
    Hi there, fit and finsih appears to be very good to excellentm but I do think Honda and Toyota maintain an edge.
    I have a loaded EX with leather and the four two front and middle seats all appear about the same, except that the 2nd row does not have the same drop and lock armrest feature for the armrests.
    I have not noticed more wind noise on the starboard side of the van and can't see how that could occur. Noise is very well handled in the Sedona...perhaps class leading.
    The A/C works very well, but remember that the volume of this van takes time to cool down. By turning on the rear vents and winging out the 3rd row windows things cool down pretty quickly. I have yet to see what happens on a 100 degree day with four people aboard.

Capt RB
    2006 Sedona
    NY
  • cpsdarrencpsdarren Member Posts: 265
    Could an owner please verify some information for me?

I would like to know exactly which seating positions in the 2006 Sedona have LATCH (lower anchors). Also, if any positions have a top tether anchor but not the lower anchors, I would like to know those as well.

Thank you!
  • sookyassookyas Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your feedback. I am going to test drive a Sedona once more before I buy and will check the A/C and windnoise - it might have been an issue only with the Demo that we took out on that day.
  • putercentsputercents Member Posts: 3
    All five rear positions have the latch system, and all have the top tether.
  • srubiosrubio Member Posts: 6
    Hi my name is Steve Rubio I am a Kia Salesman, the answer to your question is the 2nd and 3rd row seating positions have the LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) on all 5 seating positions not to mention that all seating positions have a 3-point seatbelt for the safety of all passengers. All of the LATCH's have 3 points to connect a child seat on them. I hope that answered your question.

Steve Rubio
    Sales Consultant
    Briggs Kia
    Topeka, KS
  • minivanfrankminivanfrank Member Posts: 83
    Bluedevils,
    My '02 Sedona has a gas cap holder. The difference in that area was that on the '03 they put in the cable release locking gas door access.
  • sedona2006sedona2006 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Cna you tell me the location of the filter on the sedona 2006?

Thnaks in advance.
  • srubiosrubio Member Posts: 6
    Right under the dust cover on the engine on the right side it says "Oil Filter".

Steve Rubio
    Sales Consultant
    Briggs Kia
    Topeka, KS
  • duckhunter1duckhunter1 Member Posts: 9
    Any news on the SWB version of the Sedona. It was suppose to be available in the spring 06, so where is it???

http://www.kia.co.uk/sedonahome.asp

UK version is now being advertised, where is the NA version??

Thanks
  • kiaraykiaray Member Posts: 3
    Bought my 2006 Sedona EX on 27 Feb. Have 4000 miles on it and am very pleased. Everything that I hoped it would be to this point. Been a mini van owner since 87 when I bought a new Plymouth Grand Voyager. Traded it in 96 on a new Dodge Grand Caravan. Had a lot of problems with the Plymouth, not so many with the Dodge. Decided to go with Kia this time around because of all of the Sedona's standard safety features, the ride, the power, and the looks. I live in Oklahoma City and in the 3 + months I've had my Sedona I've only saw one other 2006 on the road. That included a six day visit to San Diego where I didn't see any. Not sure why given the great value. Suspect that many are still leary of the Kia brand, but also suspect that will change. Queried my dealer and he said they had sold several but they were selling mostly the remaining 2005s because they were a steal. My only complaint with my Sedona is the sucky standard sound system. Will switch the deck out, along with speakers, as soon as the wiring harness makers start producing the required interface cables.
  • redptcredptc Member Posts: 78
    ANYONE KNOW HOW TO PROGRAM THE 2006 SEDONAS KEYLESS REMOTE?DEALER WANTS $40.00 TO DO IT . :)
    After a 3000 miles trip, our Sedona is working flawlessly. No rattles, buzzes or other signs of problems. Power is really nice. MPG averaged on a drive from NYC to North Carolina was 23.1 MPG with 4 people and luggage. Driving throught heavy rain and high winds at typical speeds (75-85 MPH), the van never felt unstable. Noise levels are quite low. So far this continues to be the mini van to beat. The only real issue is that a loaded one is really not all that cheap anymore...but hey, that sound system with DVD 7.1 surround sound is one of th best stock systems on the market. Add Sirius radio and a Garmin C340 GPS and you'll be all set! BTW, the Garmin is better than ANY factory installed unit I've tried and can be used in more than one car.

Capt RB
    NY
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    I'm interested as well. We have a 99 Caravan and the only short replacements are another Caravan or an 06 MPV, which seems to be a dead product line.
  • navyairnavyair Member Posts: 202
    BD-

How is the 2002 holding up? Are you looking at the 2006's or waiting awhile longer. We just passed 61k on our 2003, but the wife is looking longingly.

Probably will wait until 2007 and my post-military future is known.
  • priscaprisca Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a Kia Sedona 2006 in a month or so and I was wondering what price I should pay for an EX model (invoice price). A manager offered me an internet special price of $21,499.00 plus tax, tags and processing. Is this a good offer?

What options are availabe for this model at what price?

Patricia
  • harmony1harmony1 Member Posts: 2
    hello, i am considering trading my 2004 sedona for 2006 sedona. i was wondering if anyone knows of comparasions for safety and reliability between cast iron engine(2004)and aluminum(2006).any info would be appreciated. thanks!
  • ludicrous_larrludicrous_larr Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2006 Sedona and was wondering if anyone had found a place to buy the factory service manuals.
    I have them for all of my vehicles and they have more than paid for themselves.

Prisca,
    $21,499 is EXCELLENT for an EX!
    Thanks all.
  • wastntimewastntime Member Posts: 10
    Purchased 2006 Sedona 05-13-06, have 1500 miles, 600 over the road averaging 23.4 miles per gallon 65-75 MPH. I'm hoping the mileage will go to 25 MPG after break in, by the way I'm using regular gas only.

Had one incident with the airbag warning light and someone sitting in the passenger seat. Stopped the vehicle, turned off the ignition waited 5 seconds and restarted, no problems since.
    Great vehicle to date and worth every cent I spent on the EX cloth version.
  • geogeo Member Posts: 23
    With 5k miles have had a max of 25 mpg but mostly 23-24 at 75 mph. 14-18 in town with less than a mile to work cutting into performance. Our 2006 EX is loaded and so heavier, including a trailer hitch.

Only problems are noisy brakes when cold (have heard new, redesigned, pads are coming) and a drip of oil each night. Will have dealer handle these with first service. Have experimented with premium and mid-grade but find mileage with regular seems as good.

This van is a big step-up from the Grand Caravans we have owned previously. George in Wisconsin
  • geogeo Member Posts: 23
    Online version at Kia.com, go to http://www.kiatechinfo.com/index.asp
    from the Kia site, sign up and you have access not only to repair guide but recalls, dealer publications etc.

I also have always bought factory manuals but with an old notebook computer and a wireless link which just makes it into my garage this may be adequate! George in Wisconsin.
  • wastntimewastntime Member Posts: 10
    George,

Forgot to mention the brakes, I have the same problem cold, think I should mention this to the dealer on my first checkup? Have noise backing out of the driveway and the first two stops, after that no problem.
    I've visited the GDS site and think the information is helpful. Have removed my engine cover and viewed the internal oil filter on top of the engine,could be interesting especially if you forget to install the small "O" ring. Wastntime in Dayton OH.
  • cpsdarrencpsdarren Member Posts: 265
    Thank you both for the replies regarding the LATCH system.

Does the owner's manual have any restrictions on using the lower LATCH anchors in the third row? For example, some vehicles only permit you to use one or two of the three LATCH positions at a time.

Thanks again!
  • eyashineyashin Member Posts: 2
    I have found that my speedometer reads about 5% faster than it should. Also, the outside air temp seems high too.
    Anyone else notice this? The temp is a minor problem but the speedo affects the mpg which doesn't seem to great after 1600 miles also means 100,000 mile warranty will end 5% sooner. Aside from those two small problems everything is really great.
  • archiewongarchiewong Member Posts: 2
    In this month's issue of motortrend (August 2006). There is a comparison between the 2006 odyssey, sedona, chrysler and 2007 quest. The odyssey is declared the winner and the sedona came in second. The Sedona is reported to be faster than the odyssey and stops as well, but the odyssey is declared the winner primarily for it's sportier handling characteristics. I wonder how they would have rated the sienna. I think the Sienna may have come in third. Loving our loaded EX so far at nearly 600 miles. I still think it's better than the odyssey.
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    I emailed a local dealer and Kia to ask about the short wheelbase model due out this fall. No response.

It seems to be already available in the UK - they show a spec for overall length of 4.81 meters = 189.5". Anyone have info on the USA version?

• standepuystandepuy Member Posts: 23
    I'm interested in the short wheelbase also. Dealers don't seem to know much when it comes to new models (Kia in Sacto doesn't). MOST of the time "Fall" means January of the following year - I think they want to stall the buyer from other makes. Hoping the SWB will be lighter and have better MPG. I currently drive an 89 Dodge Caravan 4 which needs a new paint job. By comparison - all the newer vans are monsters in size - and way too much HP. ;)
  • greyredstargreyredstar Member Posts: 3
    Just reurned from a 2,000 mile trip. Wow am I happy with the van. The "highs" were many...an absolutely smokin' drivetrain, the seats were very comfortable (my butt didn't start barking until 10 hours of confinement), we loaded scads of stuff for the return trip and had plenty of room for it, and the brakes are great! My brother-in-law has an Odyssey and the only thing that I tink is better than the Sedona is the interior noise level. Not that I have a problem with it.

The "Lows" - not many..the interior colors of the Kia's leave alot to be desired, there are only 2 choices and they are both LIGHT colors! What were they thinking? I can definitely see the custom fit rubber mats in my future.

Overall very happy right now, time will tell. BTW everyone check their factory tire pressure before get going, mine was 10 lbs over in every tire.
  • estoesto Member Posts: 136
    This was in a post on the Entourage forum:

...except for frugal Kia LX with the hard as a board seats...

Does the Sedona LX really have different seat construction than the EX and the entry level Entourage (GLS?)? Someone seems to think the LX's seats are a lot more uncomfortable than the other models'. Have any of you noticed this?
  • greyredstargreyredstar Member Posts: 3
    I haven't tried sitting in a Hyundai, but there is a dealer directly across the street from the Kia dealer. So, out of curiousity I looked in the Entourage GLS and it looks exactly the same as a cloth upholstered Sedona...same configuration. So, I think somebody is blowing smoke...but its all subjective.

As I stated in my post, I think that the seats are pretty supportive and comfortable in the base model Sedona. There are alot adjustments (albeit manual) on the driver's seat too.
  • bowulfbowulf Member Posts: 7
    Being the one that wrote this snippet, I do believe there is a significant difference between LX and the GLS seats. I admit it might have only been 2 LX models I have driven, and the rest of the model set are being unfairly castigated. However, my impression were:
    * the foam was much more rigid than the GLS that I tried first
    * the fabric perhaps more importantly seemed cheap (even the GLS has premium thicker fabric). Mind you I have been burned before by cheap fabric and kids, so I pay attention to it perhaps more than others.
    * The EX model fixed all those problems with power seat or it was able to be adjusted to where it was comfortable.

Sorry it is just my perspective that I would regret getting a LX than purchasing the EX model.
    Thanks, bowulf, for the clarifications. I seem to remember reading somewhere else that the LX had lower-end seat fabric than the EX. In your opinion, does the Entourage GLS have the same level of fabric as the Sedona EX?
    The EX model might have been a bit better than either the GLS or SE models, or I might have just liked the accent color in it rather than the simply beige or grey fabric in the Entourage. One other word of seat difference, I don't believe the front passenger in either Entourage was power adjustable. as opposed to the 4-way adjustability of the EX.

What is a fair price for '06 EX Entourage with power package and ~$750 aftermarket DVD player? Is $25,300 fair?
    What is a fair price for '06 EX Entourage with power package and ~$750 aftermarket DVD player?

I thought EX and Entourage don't go together...
    Oops I meant to say EX Sedona not Entourage... :blush::blush:
  • neillottneillott Member Posts: 1
    Patricia,

This is a great price, which dealer was this?

Thanks

Neil
    neilmatthewlott@hotmail.com