Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sedona

Comments

• dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    Actually, I don't like the black dash in the LX any better. We test-drove one for a good 4 days and I decided the black has a fairly cheap look and feel.

One thing I forgot to point out in this mod was that Doc was actually using the grey replacement parts from the Hyundai Entourage. So those part #s are Hyundai numbers, not Kia ones.

I agree that the black is not so good, and like the grey (from the entourage) better. I doubt I'd go through this trouble myself either. But it's nice to know it's possible in case I every got really sick of the fake wood. If only there were a Jaguar part that would fit :)
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Thanks for the clarification. I didn't realize from the pics that it was gray, not the black from the Sedona LX.
  • redptcredptc Member Posts: 78
    Front windshield deicer on page3-135 of the owners manual of 2006 sedonas.I was told by my salesman that this is suppose to de-ice the wipers.Haven`t used it yet so i don`t know if it works or not. :blush:
    Can anybody answer these questions for me regarding the 2006 Sedona. Ours is an EX but I think the LX model uses the same fob:

* How many key fobs can be programmed to work on a single van?

* How is the key fob programmed? Is this a procedure that requires a dealer, or can this be done at home? I have not looked at my owner's manual yet.

* How much does a replacement fob cost?
    2 key fobs can be programed .You have to go to the dealer to get it done.(about $40.00 if not in warranty)Go on e- bay sometimes you can find one, A lot less then the dealer would charge. :shades:
  • likellehlikelleh Member Posts: 35
    Hey red...completely forgot about that one...since i live in NE and we have barely had any bad weather this winter! Thanks for the reminder on this one! :)
    Yes, but can a 3rd fob be programmed? Or is two the max that the electronics on the 2006 Sedona can support?
    According to KIA only 2 can be programed max.
  • gbrown2gbrown2 Member Posts: 2
    What maintenance is required on a Sedona with Automatic Transmission? Is there a break-in change of the fluid required?
  • gbrown2gbrown2 Member Posts: 2
    My Kia Sedona also threw a check engine light. Any Advice?
  • capecoralbillcapecoralbill Member Posts: 51
    Can I tow in OD, or should i usse 3rd ir 4th gear. My old chrysler mine said to tow in 3rd, not OD, same advice on my 2001 dodge ram 5.9L. ??
  • dongliudongliu Member Posts: 15
    I just tested 2007 Sedona Short Wheel Base. The dealer ran out of Long Wheel Base version, but assured me that SWB has exactly the same engine, transmission, everything except shorter tail and narrower body.
    During testing, I felt that the engine had a lot of power. However, the gas pedal did not seem to respond "linearly" to input. Sometimes pressure on the pedal had little acceleration. Other times a slight push on the pedal brought a surge of power to the engine and the minivan noticeably dashing forward. I simply could not control the speed in the same precision as my old sedan, or Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey I tested in the same day.
    My wife had the exactly same feeling, and was even more scared. That made us unable to seriously consider Kia Sedona.
    I felt sad that highly-praised Kia Sedona could not be a competitive choice for us against expensive and sometimes arrogant Toyota and Honda. If not Kia, there is no other potential contenders in the next decade in the minivan market. I really hope that Kia can work on this issue quickly, and solve this seemingly straight-forward problem. To me, it seems that Kia can just copy whatever linkage mechanism between gas pedal and engine used by Toyota and Honda, or even VW. I do not think such a basic feature is protected under patent or trade secret. Can Kia designers and engineers simply drive their own minivan and think a little?
    On the other hand, this style of gas pedal response may be some kind of legitimate driving style I have never experienced. Just as I never feel at home in the "Asteroid" game to control the alien spaceship using only the thrust, many other gamers may found that control more intuitive.
    What is everybody else's experience? Or is my style or skill shut myself from a portion of market?
    My wife mentioned after her first couple trips that she felt the accelerator on our 2006 felt a little strange, but I don't remember exactly in what way. I haven't really noticed anything out of the ordinary, but I'll try to pay more attention the next time I drive the van.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    did you ask the dealer if you could try another vehicle on the lot?
  • typer_801typer_801 Member Posts: 29
    It feels to me there is some non-linear opening of the throttle body. Almost a lag if you will, where it doesn't open initially or only a small amount and then releases and opens after that delay, causing the "surge" in acceleration with the same depression of the accelerator. I observed this during our test drive and was concerned with it too. In practice, after 1 month of ownership, it's not an issue. I've either grown used to it and adjusted my driving style (most likely) or the ECU is learning my driving style and this is not an issue any longer. In any event, I don't even notice this in normal driving now.
  • smillersmiller Member Posts: 32
    We needed more room for the family so I traded my 2005 Subaru Outback for a 2006 Sedona LX - and so far we all really like this van. It's silver and looks pretty darn good with lots of power for a mini-van. I never thought I would buy a KIA but after extensive research and test driving, I was sold plus my monthly payment is lower now. :)
    Why pay more for a Honda or Toyota?
    I have a 2006 EX fully loaded. The first time i test drove the car i nearly got whiplash! The gas pedal is touchy and after 5 months with the car i have finally adjusted my driving habits and now the car drives evenly and we are one. I love the car, the way it drives and have enjoyed every minute driving it. :)
  • brian1brian1 Member Posts: 29
    The Sedona EX is supposed to be able to play MP3's. How exactly do you do this? I looked in the manual and I do not understand how to do this. Maybe I am misunderstanding what MP3 means. My understanding is you could take your IPOD player and plug it into your car radio and have it play thru your car speakers. Please help. thanks
    Brian, the stereo system plays MP3 files. If you download music to a CD then you are able to play it in the CD player. There is an adapter you can buy from IPOD that will allow you to play your IPOD through the stereo system. I hope in the next upgrade of the EX they do put in the jack for the IPOD like other car makers are starting to do.
  • volfyvolfy Member Posts: 274
    I'm sure the Sedona, like many new cars these days, has "drive-by-wire" instead of a mechanical linkage. It does take some getting used to, but after 1,000 miles of driving our '06 Sedona EX, I wouldn't say it is any more or less drivable compared to the '04 Sienna we had.
    The dealer told me that there was only one 2007 Sedona SWB for testing that day. There was even no inventory for Sedona lowest model.
    It seems nowadays the dealers (including Toyota and Honda) have little or no inventory of low-end models. So far I have not test driven a Honda Odyssey LX yet, only the EX-L.
    Just read the news that this January, compared to last January, Toyota sale increase 9.5%, Honda 2.5%, and Kia 25% (mostly because of Sedona).
    However, my wife does not like Sedona from the beginning, for various reasons, or not much reason at all. That is why we ran out of interest after the first test drive.
  • dhongdhong Member Posts: 3
    I got a 06 EX and have driven for three weeks.
    I'm very satisfied with the ride.
    But, there's one problem that annoys me.
    When temperature is below 45, there's a squeaky sounds around passenger's seat. Sounds like some plastic parts are not joined well. Usually this happens in the morning when the temperature is low. But the sound disappears when the temperature increases over 45 during the day.
    Has anyone experienced this? Anyone know the solution? :confuse:
    Move to Hawaii :)

Or, ask the dealer about it.

Sorry, I haven't heard anything from other people about this problem.
    I have the 06 LX -My passenger seat squeaks too- Bought it 8 days ago, I will ask about it on the first oil change.
    I had a passenger while test driving and I didn't notice it. I did have a 05 Subaru that would start to rattle when the outside temp was below 35. I've read reviews about the 06 Sedona and a couple did mention the rattles/squeaks, but it didn't stop me from buying. I hope it can be fixed or at least not do it when spring comes. :D
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    its true, i think dealers like to move the higher trims.

when i was shopping for an LX ODY, there did appear a shortage, and there were a few stories from various dealers they were in short supply. but, peeling the onion, they were there, quite a few of them actually when we looked closely.

some dealers were hesitant to put the lower trim units out curb-side, and one dealership truely had no LXs to speak of, but they were there in the network of dealers in all colors and interiors.

we thought this is funny, there just shooting themselves in the foot. there are customers who understand an LX is the same vehicle as the EX-L, but without the luxury of the auto sliders, faux leather, matching color door handles and alloy rims. there are some people that just don't value that stuff highly.

i ended purchasing from a dealer that proudly displayed the range of trims. and i got it configured just the way i wanted it...no dealer add-ons. no muss, no fuss. nice transaction.

you can get the vehicle you desire, but it may require a little effort. hopefully you live in an area where you can test drive the ODY and SIENNA and maybe the KIA (again) you are thinking of back to back.

if your wife is the decision maker on this, then she should be test driving the vehicles and determining if the important features to her are in the car.

toyota makes things a tad tricky with lots of options and option inter-dependancies, so find out what your area can actually acquire, and determine what features you really want and need.

but do get some time behind the wheel no matter what you plan to do. and if the process starts getting out of control, just slow yourself down. i presume you have the luxury of time on your side. say for example your wife thinks she's going to deliver any day and feels she NEEDs a van to carry the newborn to the diaper store. trust me, you can get little ones into a 2-door while your backs are still good. :shades:
  • dhongdhong Member Posts: 3
    I just called my dealer. He said that the sound may be from the break system which is expected to go away when it is tuned up. But, it squeaks only when the vehicle is moving. I think I need to see them before the whether warms down.
  • volfyvolfy Member Posts: 274
    My wife started out wanting nothing to do with Kia, because back in 1999 we test drove a Kia Sephia which left a terrible impression on her. This time, we started looking at CUVs and some minivans. She didn't want to drive an Odyssey like all her friends do. She is coming off of an '04 Sienna so that was out of the question. We came down to '07 Nissan Quest or Hyundai Entourage, which I rooting for based on my '99 Sonata experience.

Wife only grudgingly agreed to a test drive after I showed her Sedona and Entourage are almost identical twins, but the '06 Sedona cost $6000 less for the same top-of-line trim.

Well, we bought the Sedona and the wife is very happy with it. She even perfers the styling a bit better than the Entourage.
    Two weeks ago I posted a message describing my test drive with 2006/2007 Kia Sedona. Both my wife and I felt that the Kia Sedona's non-linear gas pedal/engine response makes Sedona uncontrollable. Thus we did not want to consider Sedona.
    Thanks to all the experts and experienced Kia drivers on this forum, I knew more about the throttle mechanism on Sedona. Now for non-technical reasons, I want to reconsider Sedona, or even include Dodge Grand Caravan (shudder!).
    My question is, is this throttle response difference from car to car? Is it possible for me to pick up a Sedona that has linear throttle response? Is that mechanism adjustable by dealer?
  • fishbreathfishbreath Member Posts: 58
    I was use to driving a truck with little power and now with the van it has pedel responce,but I'm use to it now.
    My 2006 Sedona LX is very responsive, no lag or jerks.
    The Vans "Computer" controls everything and so maybe the one you drove needed a software fix.
    I had an 05 Subaru that is drive by wire and I never got used to it because it would sometimes hesitate or jerk the car, very "non-linear", and the dealer couldn't fix it.
    Now I have the Sedona and so far, it works great.
  • kooksvkooksv Member Posts: 1
    I just want to thank you so much for posting. We just purchased a used 06 Kia Sedona and found this noise the day after purchase. As a note, the rattle we heard only lasted a few seconds. We had a trusted mechanic tell us it was a timing issue. Brought it to the dealer who did not (read - would not) find anything. I searched the issue on the web and found your posting. After mentioning and sending a copy of your post to them, Lo and behold they found a "Pit Stop" which I'm told is somewhat like a TSB but "not quite". The Pit Stop stated that the tensioners (sp?) had to be replaced in 2006 Kia Sedonas manufactured before a certain date (sorry don't know the date). Thank you SO much for posting! I don't think they would have taken this woman serious if I hadn't have found your post. By the way, they had to order the parts so it has not yet been fixed.
  • wallyh1wallyh1 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone out there had a problem with their 2006 Sedona stopping dead as if the transmission shifter was placed in neutral? The dealer said the error code is "Gear 3 Incorrect Ratio". They apparently can't fix anything as they can't interpret the code meaning. Since I stalled on a freeway interchange ramp with my family, including an infant, I'm not to happy about this. Also have a problem with the sliding door on the driver's side not closing all the way. Been in 5 times and still have a problem. Supposedly did 3 factory fixes. Optical sensor, spacer washers and some kind of door gasket pins. Any solutions you may know about will help. Dealer will gladly do a buy back at a 6 grand loss to me. Went through the CA Lemon Law in 1986 with a Ford and am really suspicious with that solution.
    Thanks
  • wallyh1wallyh1 Member Posts: 2
    What, if I may ask, is the power sliding door problem? Is it on the drivers side? Has it been fixed. I have had my 06 Sedona for a year and in the shop 5 times because the driver's side sliding door closes to within a foot or so and reopens. Won't do it all the time though. Dealer says problem with the pins (??) in the door gasket. Still does it. Please let me know if they fixed it and I'll pass the info on to my service rep. Could you please include your dealership.

Thanks
    I need to raise the rear end of my Hyundai Entourage. I found a kit by Firestone model number 4138 http://www.firestoneindustrial.com/riderite/applications/vehiclesearch/kia.shtml- # Has anybody tried this? or know of other kits?? Thanks
    Where in the heck do you plug in the T connecter???
    I bought a tailite wireing kit on ebay and it has a complex wire harness that plugs in behind each taillite, and then crossovers to the center of the rear bumper. Drawtite model 18410-037 and it cost about $50.00.
    Valley hitches has 2 wiring harness listed the 1 is like you said complex, the other # 30138 looks normal without a wire running up to the battery. I'm going to save myself a headache and take it to the guy that inspects my cars, he also sells parts including hitches. Somewhere on the net someone said it took a couple of hours and alot of cursing to do the wiring themselves.
    Anyone that changes there own oil,do you use kia oil filters or get one of the after market type? Looked at a Fram filter it was made in Korea. Checked out a Purolator type and it was made in India. Anyone have any comments on this? :confuse:
  • dodie01dodie01 Member Posts: 3
    I'm trying to decide whether to purchase a new 2007 Sedona LX versus a 2005 Toyota Sienna with 24000 KM on it, any advice. Virtually the same price.
    I am giving up my 2001 Dodge Caravan with 286000 KM on it and I will be putting the same kind of KM on the new one. Anyone out there with high KM's on the Toyota or Sienna and how did they do. My Dodge has had no major problems to date.
    Hey capecoralbill or anybody else did you have to put in a heavy duty flasher for when you are towing? Every thing works except for my left turn signal.
    sorry, I haven't towed with it yet, so dont know if the trailer lites will work or not. But the vans lites are ok. Let us know what fixes it. Goodluck
  • isartamisartam Member Posts: 13
    As long as you use any name-brand oil filter, you will be fine. It doesn't matter where the filters are made, at least from a quality standpoint. The majors will be at least as good as the factory.

However, make sure you are getting a legitimate major-brand product. I don't know how much this is happening now, but there was a time when China-made knockoffs were coming in with look-alike repair parts. Again, major chains likely won't have these, but do consider the source and do examine your produt for authenticity.

And just stay away from the gimmicks such as using a roll of toilet paper as a replaceable element. :surprise:

Philbert J Thrombockle
    carbuzzard.com
  • carfaxcarfax Member Posts: 43
    I do not own a Sedona van, but have had the towing package on several vehicles and never had to use a heavy duty flasher. If the rest of your lights are working then I would be looking at the wiring or a bad bulb. If the left signal is working on the vehicle and not the trailer then I would be checking the trailer out. If it isn't working on the vehicle and trailer at the same time, then i would be checking out the wiring harness to the vehicle to see if it is hooked up properly.
    THANKS FOR THE INFO. I GOT SOME KIA OIL FILTERS ON E-BAY SO I`LL JUST USE THOSE FOR NOW.THANKS AGAIN----REDPTC---
  • dodie01dodie01 Member Posts: 3
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    If you were me you'd buy new.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    Anyone install a xm receiver in their 2006 Sedona? I was thinking about it but haven`t seen any info on it,for a sedona. :confuse:
  • 11b33t11b33t Member Posts: 51
    Had a Sirius added to the 2007 EX model for the wife. Did not want to change out the factory dash system so a detachable Sportster receiver was installed. Works just fine...
  • lmunizlmuniz Member Posts: 3
    Hi! I bought a 2006 EX Sedona on June 06 and two months after I started having problems with both electric side doors. They can either remain opened after pressing the "close" button, or once they close, they return and remain opened. In addition, they have closed up to a certain point and then remain opened about 5 or 6 inches from the lock. I ha taken it about 7 or 8 times for warranty and haven't received a final solution to the problem. The dealer keeps telling me that they are trying to duplicate the problem when the car is in their workshop, but nothing has happened so far. They also say they haven't found any other car with the same problem. Has anyone out there seen this type of fault??? Need urgent help!!!!