Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ

Comments

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    If you have less than 5K miles the engine isn't broken in yet. Mileage will improve after 5K miles. But yes - stop-n-go traffic and idling will KILL your mpg as will the hot weather.

Have you reset the mpg calculator lately?
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Its a sad situation its true. Its also sad that the MKZ is not made in the US. The fact is, that if ford survives, there is a chance they will bring jobs back here when the UAW and the US govt. descide we need to have a manufacturing base again. Untill then the 24K workers point is moot. They will leave rich anywhay.

I just hope our policies change so that American cars can be made by Americans again.

With Fords excellent new products coming out, and out already, and these new warrentees especialy on Lincolns, it should attract people who were previously on the fence.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    That is correct... IF the policies change. IF healthcare is addressed, and incentives for manufacturing jobs to headquarter and produce here in the U.S., then we would be singing a different tune...

Till then, you gotta do, what you gotta do, to stay alive.

I've said it before...when people want to buy a vehicle, they research everything and anything pertaining to it...same with a TV, or other electronics...When it comes to policies that affect them personally and their future, they are highly uneducated over them.
  • bigtbigt Member Posts: 412
    I watched the Al Gore movie last night about Global Warming. I noticed that he really pushed the purchase of Hybirds. Seems to me if Ford was smart they would make Mercury their all hybird/alternative energy division. Make Mercury different like GM did with Saturn.

I was also distrubed when the movie showed the average Chinese car getting over 30 mpg. I cannot confirm these numbers but if true then we really are behind the cueball as we cannot sell the Chinese cars because of our poor MPG's.

Hmm, maybe instead of a new MKZ I will get a Hybrid! :blush:
    The Ford only dealers would never go for Mercury getting all the hybrids/alternative fuel vehicles. And the dealer network has a huge influence on product decisions.

Those 30 mpg Chinese cars are probably tiny and don't meet U.S. crash standards or emissions standards. And even if it did meet the standards it wouldn't sell very well unless gas goes up another $1-$2/gallon. Until then we just don't want to sacrifice room and comfort.
  • What you say is true with many people. However, the buzz I hear on the Smart car, for example, is fascinating. I think they will have a waiting list when the thing is introduced in early 2008. Will Ford have anything sub-Focus by then? I doubt it.

The management decisions still suck. Reneging on the promise to improve truck mileage by 25% was based on the projected cost and resource allocation needed, I'm sure. The lack of foresight on that will cost them more than they "saved." It is often like that with Ford in the past 10 years. And the irony is they are so afraid of doing something wrong that they move at a snail's pace compared to other companies in bringing new products to market---and then only to find their caution did not produced the expected hit.

The MKZ is such a conservative effort that, even though it is competitive, it is not even as cutting edge (and I use that term loosely) as the LS was in 2000, nor is it able to generate even LS level of sales for many reasons. Meanwhile, Cadillac is cooking with an integrated line-up. Lincoln will soon have the MKX, but that class is crowded with excellent new entries too. I don't know, but it doesn't look good.
    Yeah you are right about having one division having all the fuel efficient cars. Not sure what that would say about the other divisions. I guess that at least to me that Mercury has too much duplication. I saw a Fusion yesterday and it really looked nice. Now not as nice as my Zephyr but it was close. I was thinking why would I look at the Milian at that point it would be either a Fusion or step up to a Zephyr. Not sure if I have the time or energy to explore a middle option.
    Mercury exists mainly to give the Lincoln/Mercury dealers enough products to sell. It does allow Ford to offer slightly different styling and to market to 2 different demographics with basically the same car.

While the Zephyr isn't breaking sales records, it is selling well and making money even at low production volumes - which is more than could be said for the LS. And as they add AWD and a bigger engine and increase production capacity I think it can sell 50K (profitable) units per year. A slow rampup is better than an initial frenzy followed by a big dropoff.
  • At several times in Mercury history, its cars were more than just "slightly different styling" of a Ford. Mercury has also seen periods of sales in the 400,000 to 700,000 range. Yes, the market is a different place now, but clearly Ford has also set its sights too low for Mercury. Hence we see the result: touting recent sales increases from the absolute bottom of the barrel, with nothing for mercury exclusively and no new models planned.

Again, I am not saying Zephyr is not a success. However, 50,000 sales are only a hope at present, and even if Lincoln was lucky enough to achieve this (without heavy incentives), they need several other lines to make good sales as well.

What they will have though is a very unintegrated line-up without the "brand look" that Audi, Cadillac, BMW, Volvo, Mercedes, Pontiac, etc. can seem to impart even when dealing with a modle mix including sedans, 2 seaters, SUVs, trucks.I know Ford can do better than this, because they have.

Present management cannot seem to stick with any plan, produce any plan in a reasonable time frame, or if changing course, doing so in a timely or dramatic way that is clearly more than lip service. Don't they look at what Toyota, Cadillac, Honda, are doing? How about VW's turnaround and spate of planned models? It will be interesting to see if Ford brings Failane to market with the attributes that made it such a successful concept, and whether this time they will give the Lincoln version its own body panels, look and presence.

They would be looking good right now if they had brought the AWD NaviCross to market. With styling that sells now (a la Chrysler 300) yet with Lincoln look and heritage, giving those who want to move back to a sedan from an SUV a unique choice. Oh well.
  • caliddcalidd Member Posts: 60
    With 0% financing and 6 yr. warranty on the Zephyr, I'm thinking of jumping on a Zephyr. But i was hoping to wait on the '07 MKZ to get the bigger engine. Anyone know if 0% financing will extend to the '07 MKZ?

Also, anything else going to be different about the Zephyr besides the AWD option, grill and horizontal front chrome changes? For example, can we expect any other refinenements in the '07 MKZ?
  • displacedtexandisplacedtexan Member Posts: 364
    What they will have though is a very unintegrated line-up without the "brand look" that Audi, Cadillac, BMW, Volvo, Mercedes, Pontiac, etc. can seem to impart even when dealing with a modle mix including sedans, 2 seaters, SUVs, trucks.I know Ford can do better than this, because they have.

Too true. Somewhere in these threads someone mentioned Lincoln's intent with the alphabet soup designation is to get people to say "Lincoln XYZ" or "Lincoln ABC" instead of just saying "Town Car" or "Continental" so as to emphasize the "Lincoln" awareness. They could go a long way to that if they could find and stay with a brand look. Now, however, cars will see a waterfall grill while their trucks will see an egg crate grill. One or the other, please.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    The current automatic transmission, from a Toyota affiliate, will no longer be used. Rather, a GM/Ford Joint Venture Six Speed will be. . .
    In addition to the drivetrain and cosmetic changes you'll get an external audio port and a sportier suspension. I think the wheels are also different but you'd have to look close to notice.
    Here is the article about the new interior but I cannot say for certain what they are going to be tweaking.

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/feature_display.cfm?release=23389
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    "They sound ok by themselves but when you put them all together and say MKZ, MKX, MKS then they quickly start to run together."

I completely agree - and feel the same about Cadillac. Too hard to learn the code.
  • Agreed. But at least Cadillac has some rhyme or reason to it: CTS, DTS, STS which mimics in a way Mercedes' C Class, E Class, and S Class (proceeding up the scale in cost, if not necessarily in size).

The Mercedes C Class actually used to be a "C" class automobile, although it is bigger than that now. Cadillac names its trucks, and give a different letter scheme for its current and pproposed crossovers. The roadster also gets its own. I still prefer names, but I can live with it.

Lincoln on the other hand calls their smallest car a Z, their soon-to-be-largest sedan an S, the crossover an X (which falls between S and Z), and then spells out MK as Mark for the truck. They seem poised like Cadillac to keep names for their full-size SUVs. It will be interesting to see what they call the Fairlane clone they should be getting in a year or so.
    I do not like the new naming schemes. I prefer a car to have its own name/personality.
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    Maybe they can have a tie-in with McDonalds and call it the MKVAN
    Any ideal when this would be an option?
    MK-Van.... Oh my, Scooter, you just hit on something that had eluded even my superior intelligence - the Mc factor in their scheme! This is worse than the Ford Detour (Contour) and the Mercury Mistake (Mystique).......

The McLT, the McS, McZ, McZ.....and yes, it all makes no friggen sense. Volvo has C for coupe, S for Sedan, V for Wagons, XC for the SUV, that one I don't exactly get. I disagree that Cadillac has a lot of continuity in their alpha-names, but Lincolns porport to be the worst.
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day!

Yes, I'm a little surprised it took so long so make that simple but brilliant, Rainman-like observation.
  • I didn't say (or mean) Cadillac's scheme has a lot of continuity. I can just see some.

BTW, XC is shorthand for Cross Country (like MK is purported to be for "Mark"...which I still don't see).
  • And that raises another question:
    who is or was Mark and why is Lincoln insisting on naming all their vehicles after him? ;)
    "They would be looking good right now if they had brought the AWD NaviCross to market. With styling that sells now (a la Chrysler 300) yet with Lincoln look and heritage, giving those who want to move back to a sedan from an SUV a unique choice. Oh well."

That's funny - you just described me to a tee. I've been in Lincolns since 1990. First Sedans, then the Navigators, now I wanted to go back to a sedan, but not the Town Car.... The Navicross would have been perfect for me - and alas, it's not built. Neither is the new Continental concept built. Neither was the Mark 9 concept built. What does Lincoln have for a guy like me? A compact, baby, underpowered close of a Fusion...... And that's not gonna do it for me. So, I had to leave. I still have a soft spot in my heart for Lincoln, and would love to own another one, but it has to be special. It's gotta have WoW factor, and presence (that's SIZE) to get me.
    "Mark-Z" sounds like a former member of Menudo or someone on the cover of Tiger Beat.
  • ranger2001xltranger2001xlt Member Posts: 85
    I was just at the Lincoln Dealer and he quoted my 3.9% financing for 5 years and $1000 cash bonus incentive. I don't think they have the 0% for five years incentive on this car anymore. And the warranty of 6 years was for 07 models only, at least according to the salesman.

Now If I could of bought this car 1 month ago for 0% financing (same model year) why would I agree to pay 3.9% now?
    You should never depend on a car salesman to give you accurate information about anything. That's why you have this machine (a computer) in front of you. Click on that Lincoln ad on the left side of this page. You are in charge of knowing the facts before you get to the dealership.
  • caliddcalidd Member Posts: 60
    I think the 0% financing is still available but for 3 years, not 5. Lincoln.com tells you.
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    The new engine, which the 1,000-employee factory started producing a month ago;

http://tinyurl.com/o6xwn

Notice the large "Z" in the MKZ on the drivers door..
  • pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    If memory serves me, (and it probably doesn't), Mark was the very helpful transmission engineer that helped develop the tranny for the '00 LS. That was in the good old days when Lincoln actually was getting everything right and gaining market share and outselling Caddy. Between Mark, Jim Rogers and other Lincoln execs and engineers, we could actually get answers to our questions and make suggestions that were listened to.
    PS- Mark is mkovalsk on these boards, and is still active in several Lincoln discusions.
    Ahhhhh- the good old days (early Y2K) :surprise:
    It is so hard for me to figure out with all our technology and designers why we cannot 'One-up' the other auto manufactures. I am not in the industry but I am in the software industry and once you look at the competitions features you study which ones the customers are asking for or buying, prioritize them and put them in ASAP. Its always been a balance of power and efficiency but now it is getting down to the "neat" features especially in the 30-40k range. Folks want fancy styling, plug in's for their IPODS or MP3 players, they want fancy rims, cold/hot cup holders, AWD, etc. Look at the changes GM has done and look at all the new models they have now. I have to agree with some of the discussions I have read here. Ford better get moving! :sick:
    The way the emblem on the door reads; "Mk" with a big 'ol "Z" really highlights the McDonalds "McZ" issue.
    As great as Mr. Kovalsk is (and I've know him for at least 10 years), I don't think he was the inspiration for the 1956 Continental Mark II. ;)
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    Ford insisted that the new model names be pronounced "Mark X" and "Mark Z," rather than simply citing the letters.

Ford said it got an earful from people who thought the new naming scheme was downright confusing.

"The customers and dealers were unanimous in telling us that," Ford spokesman Jim Cain said. "We decided with finality that we're going to launch these vehicles as the MKX (pronounced em-kay-ex) and the MKZ (pronounced em-kay-zee)."

The decision was made last week.

http://tinyurl.com/zxpqg
    It's agreed that the whole Mark-whatever scheme was just ridiculous, but how can they be so flaky?
    It's just pathetic.
  • What a mess.
  • theman123theman123 Member Posts: 170
    Hey I was messing around on Google and found this Video Review of the 2006 Lincoln Zephyr. Another great review. What do you think of it ???? :)

Zephyr Video Review
  • theman123theman123 Member Posts: 170
    Well somebody at Ford is paying attention to what we have to say. I found this article on the web. It's official the MKS concept is going to replace the Town Car. It's suppose to show up as a 2007 model. Thoughts ????

MKS Sedan

:)
    "Although this dramatic sedan is officially a concept, what you're looking at is the all-new replacement for Lincoln's LS, due in 2007."
    They've also moved the date out to early 2008. The car was shown at the Detroit auto show in January.
  • That is old news.

First of all, the MKS is the LS replacement. The Town Car replacement has been canned, and there is nothing in the pipeline right now to replace the cancelled replacement. Very, very bad planning. It is no wonder Lincoln has sunk so low. They can no longer blame the Firestone fiasco for Lincoln's failure to have a flagship sedan in 2008. And, by the way, lest anyone think otherwise, the MKS will not be a 2007 model. It won't be ready yet. Hopefully, they can still introduce it in 2007 as a 2008.
    Nice review. I also like the way the MKX looks!
    While the MKS looks cool, I have a few reservations...

first of all, the MARK name should only be used in two door coupes, such as the Mark VII, or Mark VIII, and if Lincoln has anything in its pants, they will make a Mark IX, out of the current mustang, only fit the Aluminum 5.4 as the base engine and give it nav, HID, LED, the turning lights, ETC.

Second, the MKS will come out the gate inferrior, with a Japanese V8 that barely compets with the calillac (315hp Vs 320) and Cadillac will probably update that engine soon.

please don't give me the 'its not all about power' routine we have been though it already.

The interrior of the MKS looks so old I need to join the AARP just to get in.

Exterrior looks nice, though. I don't understand why they will can the LS when they could invest in the 3.9 V8, up it to 4.6 or 4.8, and have it get at least 350hp, then make the MKS your flagship, not midlevel sedan.

I drove an LS with the 3.9L, very smooth and responsive engine.

It seems they are screwing this up like they did the CVT (now watch nissan make some money off of it) and many other things. Makes a USA fan pretty sad :sick:
  • Well, at least it is NOT a Mark anymore. Official pronunciation is now Em Kay Ess.
    some light at the end of the tunnel. You know its there, you just can't see it yet ;)
  • ace35ace35 Member Posts: 131
    I drove an LS with the 3.9L, very smooth and responsive engine.

Agreed, what a smooth and potent engine. What lincoln should do instead of shelving this high revving masterpiece is install it in the MKX crossover to differentiate it from the edge, or at the least make it an option.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    I gotta admit, I can't see much reason to buy a new Zephyr when a new LS can be had right now for about the same, maybe a bit more, money.
    Rear seat legroom, more trunk space, better fuel economy, regular fuel instead of premium. There are a few. But if you're talking about performance, handling, power and amenities then an 06 LS is a downright steal at $15K or more off MSRP.
    Ford does not have to resort to a foreign engine, when they can have (what i believe is) their own, or at least mostly their own with the 3.9, especially the one in the 2003 and up LS, I mean THE LS IS exactly what most people want now, V8, RWD!

Why not just make a new fresher LS, put in the 3.5 V6 with 265hp, them upgrade the V8 to 4.6 or 4.8L's and have it make 350hp, as i said B4?

WHY NOT? Is it b/c ford does not want to sell cars anymore? Or b/c they agreed with GM to stop making RWD cars so Cadillac can do better, and Cadillac will stop with the FWD?

Who knows. The point is that all the LS really needed was a power boost, and to have more suspension damping, so you don't hear the bumps as much. It is a great car otherwise IMO.
  • Even though your question has been answered before (the DEW98 chassis is simply too expensive to make money in the LS price range, and it is now out of date as well and in need of expensive re-engineering), your question is still a good one. Using the LS as a base, Ford could have engineered a less espensive RWD architecture (as they did with the Mustang). They could also have moved the LS upmarket with more Continental concept styling and amenities, etc.).

But they won't be doing those things. No leadership at the helm apparently--at least none that understands what Lincoln ought to be.

So we will get McZ and soon McX and some time after that, the McS (which will be middling-of-the-pack-to-obsolete by the time it is belatedly introduced)...none of which bear any relationship to the others stylistically, or as obvious placeholders in a range of luxury automobiles.