Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ

Comments

• BeamerManBeamerMan Member Posts: 64
    Hey thanks so much I will go there.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    I doubt you can do better than X plan out the door. I'm sure the dealer added their normal documentation fee or other fees which they're not allowed to charge under X plan. They're also forced to give you any unadvertised dealer cash that they could otherwise keep.

You won't do better than X unless it's on a vehicle that the dealer needs to get rid of.
  • cg205cg205 Member Posts: 34
    akirby, I qualified for X-plan and bought 2 Fords using it. Then the plan was changed somewhat, and when I went to use it on a GT Mustang convertible, it was higher than it would have been before. My dealer said they were aware of it, and few people were still using it because they would sell at invoice, which was less than X plan. I bought the Lincoln for less than invoice, and got the $500 rebate on top of that. I was in the car business for years, so I know about doc and administrative fees, holdback, etc. I did buy my Z for less than X plan, and it was on a brand new car they just got in...not one they needed to get rid of. My dealer normally sells for under invoice because the next closest Lincoln dealer sells everything at invoice.
    I'm just having trouble understanding why a dealer would sell a MKZ below invoice when they're selling so quickly. It's not like they have 50 sitting on the lot for months.
    There seems to be no shortage of them, at least in the southeast. I did inventory searches on at least a dozen dealer websites before I bought, and there was a very good selection, both in FWD and AWD.

But I wouldn't be surprised if they eliminated the rebate, at least as soon as people realize how much less expensive MKZ is than the competition. And that's not considering that Lincoln will typically take much more off the MSRP price than foreign competitors will. Bottom line, when comparing comparable cars with comparable equipment, MKZ is MUCH less expensive than it's direct competitors.
  • bigtbigt Member Posts: 412
    I always have problems with the inventory searches. I have found that half the cars in the inventory may be due-in's. So how do you really tell what they have on the lot?
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    They might eliminate the rebate if it's selling so well, but may it's selling so well because of the rebate and dropping it then would kill sales.
    Many buyers looking at this vehicle are looking for a bargain price to justify the purchase or else they will pass on this vehicle and go get what they really want.
    All dealer websites I've been on have a toll free number or email address. Before I go to a dealer, I'll contact them and make sure they have the car I'm interested in. I haven't had the problem you apparently have. Except for the occasional sold car, they have actually had the cars they list. I found the MKZ I bought the other day as a result of a web search of dealer inventory, and I also found my other car I bought 8 months ago on a web search.
    Price was not a big factor in my selection of a MKZ, just a pleasant surprise. I was looking for a very nice small car which gave reasonable MPG, but was also AWD. None of the competing cars were available in AWD, and the SUV versions of them were less economical, rougher riding, and noisier. I really wanted a sedan, not an SUV or crossover vehicle, and am really glad Lincoln made the MKZ available in AWD.
    My Fusion showed up in the dealer inventory 2 weeks before it actually arrived. I'd bet at least 25% of what's shown has either already been sold or hasn't arrived yet.
  • flash11flash11 Member Posts: 98
    jaxs1 I understand what you mean about searching for a bargain, then moving on when they don't get it. My criteria was to find the best luxury sports sedan at a good price. I think MKZ exceeds my expectations. I was searching for a fast luxurious car, something in the BMW,MB,Infiniti G35, Cadillac type car. I had shopped at several imported car dealerships with friends who work at Ford. We test drove everything, our last stop was at the Lincoln dealership, we drove up to the demo MKZ in black pearlcoat and chrome rims and I was in awe. I did not even see the price tag and I knew this was the car for me and my family. I then saw the interior and the price tag, and I could not believe it. So well priced for what you get, 263hp,all the options for $35K so nice. I plan on buying one soon, any suggestions anyone ? I am wondering if my friend who is a Ford employee can still get me on a X plan, and what price should I deal for, I would like one with all the options.
    I noticed Bluetooth is unavailable on this car. Odd, when you can get Bluetooth even on a 2007 Nissan Sentra now. Even if it wasn't standard equipment, at the least, it should come bundled with the THX stereo and navigation system.
    Does Ford even have Bluetooth available on any vehicles at all?

Lack of stability control in this price class of car is inexcusable.
    I don't know anyone who even knows what a bluetooth is! The best stability control are your brakes and your steering wheel!
  • And that's one of the reasons you are buying this car...you like it and don't care about the missing equipment.

But other people do, and both of these features are so common now that it is bad planning by Ford to not at least offer them as options. Stability control will soon be required on all vehicles because it works so well. And more jurisdictions continue to require hands-free cell phone use (I prefer people not use them at all while driving, but that's a lost cause).

So perhaps it is good that they don't have the capacity to build very many MKZs. This way they can sell all they build, even if it is not a fully developed product for the class it is in.
    I'm almost positive Bluetooth is a dealer option and has been for a couple of years.
  • Good to hear.
    I just heard that Ford/L/M are about to annouce a set of new incentives starting tomorrow. Any ideal what it is they are about to do? The dealers are trying to get me in to commit today for some reason. They are around 33.7k for fully loaded awd mkz. Wondering if I should bite or not!
    Just heard from another dealer:

and the factory incentives which have come out for December are
    exactly the same as in November. A $500 cash rebate or APR program of 2.9 for 36, 3.9 for 48, 4.9 for 60 and 6.9 for 72 months.
    Looks like they sold twice as many as last year:

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=24888
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    Ouch- did you see Five Hundred sales were down 53% and that, after a very slow start?

Note to MKS "designers": -That's what blah styling gets you.
    True and Navigator sales are up because that is one sharp vehicle! I would get one but no longer need the room and am scare to death about gas prices. Already they are starting to go up. I expect in January they will really start going up! Why, I suspect politics!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    you can do what i did. keep the suv and buy a gas sipper.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • caliddcalidd Member Posts: 60
    I noticed that Ford is running financing at 0% for 72 months. Anybody expect Lincoln to follow suit in January?

Am really hoping I can get the MKZ next month at the rates offered this past Fall: 0%,72 months and $1000 rebate.
  • You really want to pay for a car for six years, given how fast the field of near lusxury cars is moving? The 2013 models will be out by the time you pay it off.

On the other hand, if you normally keep a car a long time (nothing wrong with driving the same car for a decade or more), you might as well use Lincoln's money to purchase it over time (e.g., 0%), and keep yours in the bank.

Still, I'd only want to buy a car for the longer term if it offered stability control now. By 2013, all new vehicles will have long made it standard equipment.
    Well my Zephyr has been repaired after the accident. All 9.6k later and it looks great. Amazing how many parts are in the front end of a car. I really missed the ride and after a few weeks in a Ford Tarius (with no driver cup-holder) you really appreciate the ride and quietness of a Lincoln.

While out of town I test drove the MKZ AWD and had a wild Russian salesman who wanted to show me the ride of my life so we went gunning up and down hills, rail road tracks, around curves where he said half-way in 'now floor it and hold on'! Not sure what he was sailing, maybe a sport sedan! Nevertheless it was quite a nice ride.

I am planning on purchasing the MKZ this month. I am having a hard time deciding on the color. It is between the Vivid Red and Black.
    I just heard a rumor that there will be a preview of a future Mustang-based 4-door Lincoln at the Detroit auto show.
    It will be smaller and sportier than the MKZ.
    Rear wheel drive of course, sexier styling and a smaller back seat than the MKZ due to being based on the Mustang.

I assume it would compete with the Lexus IS sedan.
    Would you consider something like that?
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    I would consider that interesting since the 4 door Lincoln sedan upon which the Mustang was partially based was just discontinued.
  • displacedtexandisplacedtexan Member Posts: 364
    I love my "4 door Lincoln sedan upon which the Mustang was partially based" (assuming you mean the now dead LS) and hope Lincoln brings back a driver's car. The LS is proof Lincoln can bring out a great car if they have the guts to do so.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    Mustang has nothing to do with LS, otherwise Ford could not sell it so cheap. It is Mazda6 modified for RWD.
    Well, Miss Manners will come down on me if I say you're wrong, so I wont say it.

What I will say is that it is my understanding that the Mustang was "partially" based on the LS, they tossed out IRS as being too expensive and modified the rest to not use aluminum or anything else expensive.

Mazda 6 modified for RWD does not sound reasonably do-able to me. If they have a RWD platform from the Mazda 6, what do they need the Aussi Falcon for? Doesn't make sense.

If you have quotable info to the contrary, I'm interested in seeing it.
    I think thats what ANT said.
    Well, it looks like we've heard the last from ANT.

What about you, Allen, akirby, what's your understanding of the genus of the Mustang platform?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    just look at a mustang, you have your answer for that.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Mustang actually does not feel so good when you try to turn around corner. I cannot believe it has any relation to LS.
    We've been through this before. The Mustang was initially going to be based on the dew98 platform but the only parts that ended up being the same are the floorpan and fuel tank. And it has no relation whatsoever to the Mazda6. savetheland misunderstood something somewhere.

S197 (mustang) is actually stiffer than the dew98 platform. The Tbird required cross braces behind the seats to make it stiff enough for a convertible - the mustang couldn't use those because it has a rear seat.
    Yeah ANT possibly meant C1 or Ford Focus platform, aka in USA as Mazda3. The following is from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_D2C_platform

"The D2C (for "D-class 2-door coupe" and also known as DC2 and S197) is Ford's newest global rear-wheel drive automobile platform. The platform basics are a MacPherson strut suspension in front and 3-link solid axle in the rear with a Panhard rod. The 2007 high performance Special Vehicle Team (SVT) Mustang variation, called the Shelby GT500, will not include an SVT-designed independent rear suspension, but will also have the solid rear axle. Engines include a 4.0 L V6, Ford's Modular 4.6 L V8, and a supercharged 5.4 L Modular V8 in the GT500.

Despite rumours, D2C is loosely based on the Ford DEW platform which served as the basis for the Lincoln LS, Ford Thunderbird, and Jaguar S-Type. The 2005 S197 Mustang was originally designed to use a "Lite" version of the DEW98 platform, but while that plan was eventually scrapped as too expensive, most D2C platform development completed prior to that decision was retained. This led to the carryover of several DEW98 chassis components. These components include the floor pans, transmission tunnel, front frame rails, and fuel tank design.

Differences between D2C and DEW98 are most noticeable in the suspension: The DEW98-based Lincoln LS uses a 4-wheel independent double wishbone suspension. The D2C platform's MacPherson strut front suspension and solid axle rear suspension are less expensive to produce than DEW's more complicated setup. D2C also shares components with other Ford platforms. These include Ford's global C1 platform, with which D2C shares front strut and rear trailing arm components.

Ford's current The Way Forward plan calls for Mustang derivative models to be launched in 2007 and 2008.

Vehicles currently using this platform include the following:

2005-present Ford Mustang "
    Regardless of which platform underpins what car, I'm still enjoying my LS.
    Saw a Black MKX and it really stands out. I might go ahead and order one. I guess this means I could use my X-pricing and avoid the lines! :)

BTW: Z's are now being offered at Invoice by some of the dealers.
  • Yeah, big success. They don't have the production capacity to build even as many as they did the LS, and even with the limited production, the price is already falling close to invoice. Lincoln needs more punch and pizazz.

The MKX definitely does stand out more in the traffic stream (than the MKZ). Don't know how long that will last though, once 150,000 Edges are out there driving around.
    So you see a ton of Edges out there. That is a good thing for Ford. Did you see all of the Lincoln commerials last night. The MKX was all over last night game. Too bad that none of the dealers have any of them. I did spot a couple in the inventory one around 36k and the other around 44k.
  • BeamerManBeamerMan Member Posts: 64
    Hi big t, Do you know of specific dealers selling at invoice? Appreciate your help.
    I've been seeing ads for the emm kay exx for a month or so. Have yet to see the real thing anywhere including my (ex)dealership.
    Yesterday I had occasion to drive all over the SF Bay Area on some delivery missions for my art business. I saw several billboards announcing the new Edge. Passed several Ford dealerships. Not one had an actual vehicle.
    Is this anyway to run a car company?

BTW, those TV ads for Lincoln now show their "family" of vehicles to be Navigator, emm kay exx and emm kay zee. They dont show the truck and they dont show the Town car. Why? Esp the TC - are they ashamed of it?
  • Well, if they are not ashamed, they should be. What a shame to let a great car like that go completely to seed. Now, if they can just hang on with this motley little family until a few more members are born...
    I saw a TV ad this morning, for the first time, part of Lincoln's holiday "dreams come true" advertising, for the TC. They showcased the navi and THX sound.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    the 'sedan' will not be a new lincoln sedan, but the new Lincoln Mark IX!!!!!!!

I think the Mark VII and VIII were based on the mustang. There is not much engineering that ford would have to do to make a new Lincoln mark IX, and if its based on this musang, but perhaps have the F-150's Aluminum 5.4 in it, I will be very interested in taking a look.

This is what lincoln needs right now, an American made Coupe, that could capitalise on the economies of scale benefits derived from the Mustang by using its platform, but dressed in lincoln duds, with at least the option of the 5.4. Hell, even if they keep the 4.6 it would be good.

It would do allot for lincoln's image. I think the marks were great cars. This would be the only lincoln that should be called a mark anywhay. Oh man, do you guys think its true? This would be so cool.
    Just because a concept car is built on a mustang platform doesn't mean the production version would be. If it's planned for a new platform that isn't ready yet then a mustang platform would be the only logical choice for the concept.

IIRC (big IF), the first mustang concept was built on the dew98 platform.
  • For several past designs and re-designs, the T-bird and Mark shared a platform (though they never looked alike). They were not based on the Mustang chassis. However, nothing wrong with doing that going forward.
    After months of flip-flop yesterday I wrote the check and today I pick up my new Vivid Red black on black with Nickel satin fully loaded AWD MKZ! I sold my Zephyr to a friend. Amazing that driving back on the highway I get caught in rush hour right next to another Zephyr with my exact same color. This is about the first time I have ever seen one in the area.

I love the color but it was the interior that sold me on this one. I really like the nickel satin accents throughout the cabin! :blush:
    "Vivid Red black on black with Nickel satin fully loaded AWD MKZ!"

Sounds beautiful. Congradulations.