Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ

Comments

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    What if Lincoln came out with a RWD sedan with a supercharged 5.0L engine that beats a CTS-V? Would that change your mind?
  • Allen said:
    Could they sell a lot of vehicles if they cut prices? You bet. And what do you think that will do to resale values and how much harder will it be to increase prices later?

This is what I think. Cutting prices could easily help resale value. Right now, Lincoln prices are set much higher than actual transaction prices, and THAT is what is hurting resale value at present.

Meanwhile, Ford has shown that you can increase prices AND resale value, if you have a vehicle like the Taurus that people believe is worth the asking price. Lincoln does not have such a vehicle, and until they do, they should not be asking so much money for their cars, when they actually sell them only with big discounts.
    Cutting prices would put Lincoln in the same price range as some of the Fords - how is that going to help?

If this was the end game for Lincoln then I would agree with everything you're saying. But it's obviously not. The plan is for much better products that justify the higher prices and until they get them they're just going to settle for lower volumes without cutting prices too much or putting huge rebates on the hood.

There is no wrong or right here - they could go either way. But I think the way they're going currently is setting them up for where they want to be in 3 years and cutting prices would go against that.

You're thinking now and Ford is thinking 5 years from now. Will it work? I think so but we'll have to wait and see.
  • carjimcarjim Member Posts: 155
    AKIRBY's question was ignored, but not by me.

I would definitely consider a Lincoln if it is rear wheel drive, or rear-biased all wheel drive. Because it is neither at present, it can never be on my shopping list. My spouse and I currently drive Infiniti vehicles because we love the handling.
    I fell in love with real Lincolns when they came out with those slab sided models back in 1961, I believe. What Ford did to the brand since is a travesty.
    Have they learned anything yet? After Ford trashed Jaguar attempting to make it a volume car with the X Type I am not holding my breath.
    There is hope because

1 - Ford is making money and can afford to splurge a little on a low volume vehicle
    2 - Ford has turned the engineers loose to make the best cars possible
    3 - Ford Australia has a nice RWD platform with V8 power readily available
    4 - Ford management is totally different than it's ever been
  • carjimcarjim Member Posts: 155
    Check out Autoblog today (September 8) and you will find a road test of the MKZ Hybrid. While not a rave review it is a positive analysis.
  • tom213tom213 Member Posts: 49
    edited October 2010
    Bought a new 2010 MKZ, (only 19 miles on it) but the car was manufactured back in October of 2009. There are several roads in my area that have been open a little more than 2 years now and they are not in the database (it's as if I'm driving through a wheat field!!). So if these roads are not in there, there are obviously more that are missing/revised and then I'm wondering how out of date the POIs are!! Asked the dealer if they would flash a current map and they said I would have to purchase one for $199.00 to get a newer version!! I couldn't believe it!!! I also have a 2007 Tahoe and GM provide me 2 updates for FREE on the first and second anniversary of my purchase date!! I've complained to both Ford Motor Company and the dealer, no luck so far. Dealer told me the update can only be used once and can't be used again. Sounds like a little BS to me... Anybody out there get their dealer to give them an update without cost?? I'm not even asking for a deal like GM had, just a current version that should have been in the car when I drove off the lot!!! Other than that, love the car...
  • dmphildmphil Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know the procedure to turn on or activate daytime running lights on a lincoln zephyr purchased in the US, but will be required in Canada?
  • wendanrawendanra Member Posts: 2
    There are so many posts for the Zephyr that this question may have already been answered. If so, feel free to simply copy the link from the answer instead of retyping. Anyway, I'm in the market to buy new tires for my 2006 Zephyr. I guess I should 1st ask, should I buy them at 53K miles. Winter is coming soon, and I don't expect to own this car for another 50K, so this would be my 2nd and last set of tires. With regards to type of tires, my dealership quoted me $878 for 4 Michelin P225/50R17 tires. I don't know which specific Michelins are currently on my car, but I'm assuming I was quoted for the best and most expensive. They did offer a $60 rebate, but that's not much considering the total. I know there are other quality tires that are less expensive. Anyone have any good ideas on other brands? Bridgestone?
  • jerrys2jerrys2 Member Posts: 189
    Just replaced at 42k om my 2008 MKZ. Could have gone another 10k, but why not replace them now prior to winter. Expect to trade in 12 to 24 months and would have to replace tires , so why not use them now?

Uniroyal Tiger Paws are about $40 less per tire the Michelin and are made by Michelin, basicaly same tire . Comes with excellent guarentee. I like the tires. Jerry
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    You can check out tirerack.com for the tires that'll fit the Zephyr. I'm happy with Yokohama Avid H4s tires on my ES300, good ride and handling, decent price.
  • wendanrawendanra Member Posts: 2
    Thanx Jerry and Texases for your input. Good to have some options. I'll check out the website.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    Anyone have too much bass with the THX system in their recent (mine is a 2011) MKZ? I turn down the bass all the way and it's still too much.
  • 99accent99accent Member Posts: 237
    mine IS GOOD HOWEVER ,isn't there a setting for Rock, JAZZ, concert, if so try changing them it makes a big difference in the bass and treble.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    If you recently considered or bought a Lincoln MKZ or MKZ hybrid, a reporter wants to talk with you. Please respond to pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, February 4, 2011 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your decision.
  • Where the hell are the tests of the soon-to-be released 2013 MKZ? Maybe they should call it a 2014?
    I gave up ... With all the hype you would expect the 2013 MKZ to hit the street no later than August. Suspect there must be some production and / or labor problems in Mexico. I traded my 2008 MKZ for a 2103 Lexus ES. I am gone from Lincoln for good...
    Production was always scheduled for October and it takes a few weeks to get production up and running and get the cars delivered.
  • Yes, I know I can count on you for a response, but this time your answer seems to indicate that you do not know the answer. If production began in October, and this is now mid-November, you would think someone somewhere would have driven an example by now. Anyway, embargo or no, we ought to be seeing some press soon, or the model might as well become a 2014...as long as sales begin after January 1, that designation is allowed. Hey, wouldn't it be great if the delay was to add something to the design or equipment not announced so far?
    Ford has been using the same intro procedure for several years now so this isn't anything new. They start building new vehicles and hold them for inspection until the plant builds for 5 consecutive days without a flaw. Could be one week - could be 6 weeks. Depends. The point is it's open ended and even Ford doesn't know how long it will be before they start shipping. In conjunction with a launch like this they provide the press with vehicles to drive but they embargo the reports until closer to the vehicle actually arriving at dealers and to allow the monthly magazines a chance to get their report out around the same time as the online stuff.

I presume the Fusion delays have also had an impact on mkZ production but nobody has come out and said that yet.

No idea why the mkz debut was so late in the year but I suspect it was due to the Fusion launch as well - not wanting to do both at the same time.

Patience, grasshopper.
    Assume most manufactures have the same quality control policy procedures in place. But why all the hype so early in the year and on the net as well. Seems like they could have coordinated Fusion release if necessary. Love my Lexus ES and the dealership envionment. If MKZ is to save the Lincoln brand Ford should reconsider upgrading dealerships many of whom seem to more devoted to truck sales ... If I wanted to purchase an entry level luxury car would I go to a Ford dealership? If you are considering the Lincoln check out a Lexus dealership ... What a contrast!
    This was the scheduled release. It was always planned for October.

I'm not aware of other mfrs using an open ended ship date. I believe most if not all do pre builds and inspections but I don't think they have the 5 consecutive day requirement with no specific end date to start shipping. It does make it frustrating for people waiting for the vehicles to arrive but it also ensures the best possible quality once they do start shipping.

I guess you missed all the reports of the Lincoln dealership overhauls. They're targeting stand alone buildings with a luxury experience similar to Lexus. 80% of the Lincoln dealers are investing at least a million bucks to do that. But Rome wasn't built in a day - give them a couple of years to get there.
    Yes I did miss upgrade info. No evidence anything underway here in Western Massachusetts. Perhaps they put the cart before the horse. I any event I wish Ford well, I loved my MKZ.
    Not every dealer has signed up and only a few have already started the changes. They're taking it slow and getting the details and the plan right rather than rushing it. Hopefully it works.
    I will be ready to trade my SUV in about 2 years, if the upgrade is complete I will take a good look at what Lincoln has to offer, otherwise it won't be on my list ...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter would like to speak to car owners who use Chrysler Uconnect, Cadillac CUE or Ford's MyFord/MyLincoln Touch. If you use any of these telematics systems, please send your daytime contact information to pr@edmunds.com no later than November 20, 2012 at 1 p.m. PT/4 p.m. ET.
  • http://www.autoweek.com/article/20121121/CARREVIEWS/121129978

It seems to beat the new ES350 at its own game, and with a lower price to boot. Seems very well received. The downsides are few: while bigger on the outside, interior space is several cubic feet less than the Fusion. The ES350 offers more space. And like other reviews of this engine, the 2.0 liter four at full song does not sound like luxury. However, the V6 is available for those who want it.
    Seems to be a solid entry that should compete well especially with the hybrid drivetrain. Won't challenge BMW or MB but should do nicely against Lexus, Acura, Infinit, Audi and Cadillac.
    Now compare that review with the 2013 ES350 which is also based on a cheaper mid-sized sedan and which doesn't seem to have any advantages over the MKZ except maybe the sound system.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-lexus-es350-first-drive-review

No double standard there. Nope.
  • What double standard are you talking about?

First of all, Allen, do a bit more reading. The reviews of the new ES350 have judged it anywhere from namby-pampy, like this one, to mediocre. I haven't driven one, but have read that reviewers do not find it as refined feeling as the previous iteration. It certainly doesn't stand out in any way. Even this review stated they would rather be driving any number of other vehicles over the roads they tested it on. They also titled it "A Rolling Wallflower," which is hardly an endorsement.

Secondly, and admittedly a minor point, the ES350 is no longer based on a "cheaper mid-sized sedan." It is now based on the Avalon, which is pretty much in the same class as the ES350, albeit slightly less expensive. Comparisons of the two seem to suggest that the Avalon is not only better looking (subjective, I know...but in side profile shares a lot with the new Fusion), but is also the better car of the two.

Now, as for the advantages of the ES350 over the MKZ, there really aren't any substantial ones, just comparing machine to machine (leaving off brand names). Perhaps the only significant advantage is the ES350 has more interior room within a slightly smaller body. However, one could also argue that the MKZ is better looking. Driven back to back, without labels, I suspect more people would choose the MKZ. But I also think that under the same conditions, more people would choose the Fusion over the Camry.

But here's where Lexus will continue to win. They already have the wonderful dealer network in place. They already have their reputation. They already have many satisfied customers who will trade up to a newer model without even driving the competition. They already have the vaunted re-sale value.

What Lincoln needs to do in order to begin making real inroads in the established pecking order is to hit one out of the ballpark. However, the new MKZ is more akin to what the MKS was on its introduction: a perfectly adequate entry into a field of good cars. It is better than the MKS attempt, actually, because it is better looking, better equipped, and apparently feels a bit better going down the road.

But even hitting one out of the ballpark is is a slow way to rebuild. That too is only a start. Witness the sales of the Cadillac ATS. While it has actually won several of the comparos against the rival BMW model, and lots of good press on its own, sales so far have been a yawn, and have further depressed sales and production of the CTS.

It is cut-throat out there. I'd like to see this MKZ succeed, but I suspect most people will find the Fusion Titanium more satisfying. We shall see. We will also see if the next new Lincoln makes the bigger splash it needs to make.
    As indicated previously, I got tired of waiting for the MKZ (will they now call it a 2014 ?) and purchased the Lexus 350 w/NAV. I think the car is great and am happy with it. Even if the Lincoln was available probably would have gone with the LEXUS. Was very pleased with my 2008 MKZ but the combination Ford / Lincoln dealership is the pits... bringing an entry level luxury car for service to a place more interested in trucks and their owners is far from a pleasant experience
    Ford knows the dealers are a weak link and they're working to fix that but it will take several years.

Gregg - I'll reread the reviews but it just seemed like they dinged the MKZ for certain things but let the ES350 slide when it was the same or worse. Maybe I'm just being oversensitive.
    The entire first page of the MKZ review compares it to the Fusion. The ES gets one sentence. And it may be larger but the ES is still based on the Camry/Avalon platform.

The MKZ gets panned because they didn't like the handling when pushed hard yet the ES350 which is even worse gets a pass.

Obviously these were written by 2 different people using 2 different sets of requirements. It just smacks of the double standard that Lincoln has to fight and I don't think it's fair.

The MKZ isn't the best vehicle but objectively it's much better than the ES350 and some others and the reviews should reflect that.
  • Yes, you are being over-sensitive. No, you apparently did not read some of the other reviews. You also do not mention the Autoweek review that calls it for the MKZ. Lighten up. There are going to be ES 350 owners who will be needlessly sensitive about the Autoweek review.

And if you insist on stating that the related Camry and Avalon platforms are the same architecture (like Fusion and MKZ actually are), then we shall have to do the same when the new Taurus/MKS platform is fashioned from the Fusion platform. Since Camry and Avalon have different hardpoints and wheelbases, truly their relationship is not the same as the one that Fusion and MKZ have with each other. But whatever you prefer...we can call the coming MKS the same platform as the MKZ if you prefer.

That said, let's see what is written when the same reviewer compares both cars together.
    I'm not ripping on the ES350 because it shares a Toyota platform. I'm saying that the writers almost never mention that fact when talking about a Lexus. Yet with Lincoln they give it an entire page. That criticism was warranted with the old MKZ but not the new one. Get over it already. It's like they have that line already pre-written for every Lincoln they review.

As long as they're unique vehicles it doesn't matter what platform they started with.

I know the AW review was positive which is why it's so frustrating.
  • empoweredbcempoweredbc Member Posts: 50
    But the new Avalon, I have a feeling, will be better than both.

Motor Trend fell in love with Avalon when they tested it for Car of the Year, saying it was the car that most surprised them. And it gets 25 MPG combined with the V6.

I have a problem with these new Ford hybrids getting nowhere near 47 MPG. They are getting pretty much what the 2012's got. No more.

There are no losers at this party, but I think Lincoln will have a similar start to Cadillac's ATS, which sold only 1200 in it's first full month. But I believe it will build a following as it goes through it's lifecycle. It seems like a solid new entry, but the weak Lincoln brand, and horrible Lincoln dealerships, is probably what will hurt it the most at the start.
    There are several 2013 Fusion hybrid owners reporting 47 mpg and higher. It all depends on how you drive it. A lot of these new owners are not used to driving a hybrid for max fuel economy.
  • http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/07/2013-lincoln-mkz-first-drive-review-video/#co- ntinued

"Lincoln doesn't want anyone to think of its newest offering as a redesigned Ford Fusion with boosted luxury appointments and a $15,000 price premium, but the reality remains hard to ignore. A sinking feeling in our stomachs tells us this MKZ is still not distinct enough to buoy the luxury brand."
    Not a bad review actually. This is my only gripe:

Our conclusion, after taking the Audi A6, BMW 5 Series, Cadillac CTS and Lexus ES into consideration, is that the 2013 MKZ falls short. There are significant compromises (second row comfort, small trunk, ergonomic gripes and a thirsty V6 to name a few) keeping it off our most-wanted list.

Out of those vehicles, only the Lexus gets better fuel economy, none have a bigger trunk.

I wish they'd just say "we like the other ones better" instead of trying to make up objective reasons that aren't really accurate.

This is not a world beater - just a significant improvement over the old model that should increase sales considerably and should at least stop the "rebadge" references.
  • This is not a world beater - just a significant improvement over the old model that should increase sales considerably and should at least stop the "rebadge" references.

Agreed. However, it again underscores the slow learning at Ford about Lincoln. Each vehicle issued in the 2000's was designed to perk up Lincoln. The MKZ, MKX, MKS, MKT all failed to grab imaginations, and the Navigator just rotted.

The new MKZ has more of a chance, simply because it is not homely like the MKS, not ugly like the MKT, not non-descript like the former MKZ, and not a Ford with different front and rear clips like the MKX. This MKZ could have been the Kia Optima-type change of this class, given the seven year model year run of the previous iteration.

A world beater is what they ought to build to save the brand, and they still haven't quite learned that part of turning things around. It is not enough that the car is as good or better than the ES350. The ES350 already has a large customer base.

Lincoln also mentions plans for unique engines, but has managed to deliver none so far. The hybrid and 2.0 liter are available in the Fusion for example, and the 3.7 is in the Mustang and the F150. Yes, GM does the same thing, but GM didn't claim they would do otherwise.

I don't understand how talking about what will be for the last dozen years has done anything for Lincoln. Surprise us. Do something unexpected. Stop with the "we plan to do this or that" stuff. Just do it.
    Once again you're confusing what's been said and done in the past with what's being said and done today. The current plan for Lincoln and the current management team has only been in place for 18 months. The MkZ styling was already set in stone with very little room for change. The new Lincoln specific drivetrains are still being developed.

You should give the new guys a chance to prove they can do something different. And they need a couple more years to do it. I don't see this new plan as anything like the old ones. I believe one reason they seem to be moving slowly is they're trying to do it right the first time (this go round at least) so they're being more methodical than some might like. I also think they were given a limited budget and resources to work within because at the end of the day Lincoln has to make money.

Am I making excuses? Maybe. When we see the new dealerships and the next 2 new vehicles we'll know for sure. In the meantime a little progress is better than none.

The MKZ is the best vehicle that Lincoln has produced in at least the last 30 years. They should get some credit for that.
  • The MKZ is the best vehicle that Lincoln has produced in at least the last 30 years.

It seems to be a good vehicle and probably as good or better than the ES350. I will give them credit for that.

However, for its time, and put against other cars of its time, the 2000 Lincoln LS was arguably the best Lincoln in the past 30 years. It received very good press, and it won the Car of the Year award. It tested well against the competition and came in at a better price than most.

Even the 1993 Mark VIII with RWD, independent suspension, and DOHC 32 valve V8 (when the competition was still mostly marketing OHV V8s), was probably as good in its time as the new MKZ is now. The problem with the VIII (in addition to some long-term reliability issues) was that it was introduced at a time when grand touring luxury coupes--indeed, all sorts of 2 door coupes--were beginning to fall out of favor as the market moved toward other types of specialty luxury vehicles (SUVs, and sport versions of sedans).

Heck, the 1991 Town Car, with its superior styling, interior space, SOHC V8. dual airbags and anti-lock brakes was superior to the FWD deVille, Park Avenue, 98, and of course the New Yorker.

The new Lexus LS of that era was really in a class above, but was initially sold at a very low price for its class (that wasn't that much higher than the Lincoln) in order to establish sales, market share and reputation--a move that succeeded brilliantly. But I digress. :blush:

A little progress is better than none until it begins to feel like damning with faint praise. Therein the problem: Lincoln has screwed around with comeback plans and concepts and marketing ploys for the last dozen years and it isn't as if the auto press has not noticed. So skepticism is to be expected and weathered, because that skepticism was well-earned. Real damage was created when they tried to force something into place that should not have been there.

I do not believe the situation is hopeless. Lincoln needs to move out of its own way to get a clearer view. It is very hard to find what you don't know you are searching for.

One thing is clear: to begin to be a viable and respected luxury company, they have to set a goal of building the best cars in their class. Because a lot of their competition already have the same goal. Despite that goal, obviously all can't rise to the top. But those with that goal have a better chance of staying in the game.
    The LS was the best handling Lincoln in 30 years and would maybe outhandle the MKZ (the electronic suspension might give it a slight edge even with the worse weight distribution). But it was nowhere near as good of a luxury car as the MKZ. Remember I drove a 2000 LS v8 for 6 years. The drivetrain was silky smooth but it only had 252 hp (later upped to 280 or so) - far short of the MKZ 3.7L V6. The LS had none of the luxury features that the MKZ has (or even the Fusion for that matter). MLT, adaptive cruise, park assist, BLIS, etc. etc. etc. And the interior materials are not even close. The LS was cheap. Nice but cheap. I had to put fake wood on the dash to cover the cheap black plastic. Don't get me wrong here - I really liked the LS overall. But as a modern luxury car there is no comparison.

I agree they need to build best in class vehicles - eventually. I just think they have a few years to get there.
  • Oh, geez. You CANNOT directly compare a 13 year old car to one just released. Of course the MKZ is better from that standpoint, but that is saying nothing about the goodness or impact of the Lincoln LS in its time. Just like with inflation adjustments, you must look at what was available and possible at the time the car was created.

With few exceptions, all cars sold today are reasonably good to great. Compared to cars of the past, they have more equipment, better interior materials, greater safety, better tires, better sound insulation, better chassis rigidity, etc. The MKZ today being good enough or "better than a ES350" is hardly in the same league of goodness that the LS had in 2000.

The new MKZ, even FWD based, could have made the same impact, but does not. It's this ongoing thinking that they have a few years to get there that keeps Lincoln second-rate, despite having some good vehicles for sale.

Granted, the Zephyr was stop-gap for a starved brand back in 2005. For what little impact changing the grill a couple times and the rear end styling had over the seven years of the first iteration, they could have taken those funds and added them to the effort to create the very best car they could the second time around.

I just do not understand how such limited thinking professionals continued to get nice salaries and bonuses for so long while turning in such unremarkable efforts for Lincoln for so many years. Where were the car guys in this?

When I first saw the concept for the MKS years ago, I said, "Oh, no!, that would be a mistake...just look at it!" And who am I? Nobody. When I saw how they screwed up the MKT concept by modifying it into the whale of a station wagon it is today, I was like, "please don't!" The concept was edgier, prettier and more provocative. I remember protesting how they changed the Lincoln concept vehicle for the MKX into an Edge with a Lincoln clip, and you argued that the concept and the MKX looked practically the same and no one would notice.

Well, people do notice daring styling, and they notice when styling is bland, but daring usually has to come first to establish a foothold.

I repeat: to begin to be a viable and respected luxury company, Lincoln must set a goal of building the best cars in their class. Anything less is just wasted effort until they do so. Holding on to their little market share, or waiting until Lincoln itself generates enough profits to really introduce outstanding iron will not get them much further than it has in the past many years of tweaking things.

I have to believe the new new new Lincoln team has finally gotten the memo. But I also know that as more luxury offerings are being created worldwide, other models and makes will continue to go under. It is the nature of the business.
  • unitedkingdomunitedkingdom Member Posts: 9
    edited December 2012
    I read in Car And Driver online that the MKZ does have some of its style influenced by the Mondeo/ Fusion. According to Car and Driver it shares roof line and belt line with the Mondeo /Fusion. Allthough One can say that the MKZ does not share sheet metal with the Mondeo/Fusion but that can only be expected as the MKZ is longer , higher and a little wider than the Mondeo/Fusion. But none the less,it still shares styling cues of the Mondeo/Fusion.
    Another matter though is that the MKZ given to Edmunds to test on the road was rigged with Michelin Super Sport tires. According to a Ford spokesman, The tires would be agency or dealership offered if they even are offered. However,the tires didn't seem to impress the testers though as according to Edmunds and Car and Driver, the performance of the vehicle was middling at best. Retest the vehicle with the tires that the vehicle has been designed for and then determine how really good this car performs. But still one has to wonder why did Ford try to rig the results with using tires that are not offered on the vehicle.
    However,the tires didn't seem to impress the testers though as according to Edmunds and Car and Driver, the performance of the vehicle was middling at best.

Umm....I guess you missed the part where the slalom speed of the MKZ with the ringer tires (same as the M5) was faster than the M5 and only 1 mph slower than a Porsche 911. They were impressed with the performance but they were so upset about the ringer tires they couldn't bring themselves to say anything good about it.

All this "it's not good enough" without any actual objective comparisons to back it up is tiresome. It's not the best but it's not as bad as reviewers are making out.
  • unitedkingdomunitedkingdom Member Posts: 9
    edited December 2012
    Test drivers still see cheaper Fusion performance that is why they are not impressed by it. Their reasoning is that the MKZ cost at least 9K US$ more than Fusion/Mondeo for Fusion/ Mondeo performance so one is actually purchasing a slightly differently styled larger more luxurious minded but still using cheap Fusion/Mondeo instrument switches and cheap plastic interior appointments vehicle. As far as testers bias ,these testers test hundreds of vehicles a year in the MKZ price range so they should know what the other vehicles in the MKZ price range are capable of and where the MKZ's capabilities are found wanting when compared even if the other vehicles are not being tested with the MKZ.
    We will just have to wait to see how good this Ford platform is when the MKZ is pitted against its rivals in a real road test. As far as being faster than an M5 what type of G forces does the MKZ have versus the M5 when slaloming? Also , does the MKZ understeer ?It is inevitable that it does because of its fwd platform. Even moderately priced Audi and VW vehicles do so to some extent even with awd because of unequal weight distribution. BMW sedans, sport coupe and roadsters all are engineered for neutral steer. Al be it it's easier to do so with a rear wheel drive vehicle. It seem also that according to the road testers that the awd system on the MKZ is not oriented towards performance as are other vehicles' awd systems in the MKZ's price range but only for traction during inclement weather as according to the testers on dry pavement one really has to push the vehicle to its extreme limits to get it to engage.

The testers should have refused to test the factory rigged vehicles. The testers should have gotten one from an agency or dealership. One that consumers would have to purchase.
  • Yes, I noticed the sharing between Fusion and MKZ as well. Ford went ahead and gave them the same windshield, same front door shape and front door glass, and same roof panel back to the top of the rear glass. Another one of those nobody-will-ever-notice things, I suppose. That may be largely true, but over time, it unconsciously confers too much of a relationship between the two. This is unlike the old Taurus and Continental of the late 80s and early 90s, which shared architecture, but no glass or body panels, and were never perceived as the same car with different styling. Today, the Flex and MKT do no such sharing. Hopefully, this will be the last instance where Ford and Lincoln use such shortcuts.
  • brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    edited December 2012
    http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1212_2013_lincoln_mkz_3_7_awd/

"Slip inside the cabin and the new Lincoln MKZ feels special from the first. A high center stack sweeps down from the dashboard into the center console in one fluid form. The stack of controls itself is dominated by a large touchscreen interface with touch-capacitive faux-buttons.

At this point, we think the Lincoln MKZ is a better car than the Lexus ES, which is a big statement from us. It drives better, looks better and offers as much luxury, though the dealership experience is another thing, of course. Yet the midsize market doesn't end with the Lexus ES, as the comparative set includes the Acura TL SH-AWD, Audi A4 and Volvo S60 - three cars that deliver the same prestige, price and package size as the MKZ.

For those looking for something daring, dashing, and different in the midsize luxury segment, the 2013 Lincoln MKZ is a genuine player. And so for Lincoln, the game begins."