Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ

Comments

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    My guess is it will be closer to 250-260 emphasizing more power at lower RPMs, better fuel economy and regular fuel. Intake/exhaust/drivetrain will all affect the final power output of a particular engine so it will differ slightly between models and even between versions of a model so we won't really know for awhile.
  • scootertrash2scootertrash2 Member Posts: 71
    I cannot comprehend Lincoln's insistence on reusing the worst names in the automobile industry. This name is even worse than calling the truck "Mark" instead of Navigator LT.

Here's my focus group of how the public would view the Zephyr name:

96% Have no idea what it means and can not pronounce it.
    3.9% Know it's the Mercury version of the Ford Fairmont from the early 1980's
    0.1% Know it refers to a Lincoln from the 30's.

Whoever is in charge of picking Lincoln's names needs to be fired.
    Ok, let's line up 100 people and see how many can pronounce Zephyr (I'm betting that 95% CAN pronounce it) compared with Scion (be lucky to get 50%). The heritage doesn't matter all that much and it's better than the letters/numbers that the Germans, Swedes and Toyota seem to like.
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    I agree that Zephyr is a very silly name. Isn't a zephyr some kind of ungraceful bird? It's kind of like how VW named the Toureg. Even if people can pronounce it andtell you all about the history, it still isn't a very good name. I agre also about Lincoln naming the truck Mark LT. Now how is that going to fit nicely into a rap song?? :P
    And mirroring the wild success of the Blackwood and Marauder, They should make it only available in black to scare off most potential buyers.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    navigator89 - you make my point - other than a few options, and minor trim differences (front and rear ends, interior trim), they are the same car.

Also, Ford would be wise to also offer those options (THX, cooled seats, HID headlights, navigation) on all three, as they need all of the competitive advantages they can get to take on the competition. It would cost them nothing to offer the options - the cars come down the same line, and the parts are already on the line. They could make money off of the options, but, more importantly, they could attract buyers with options not available on the Camry, Accord, and Sonata.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    You gotta admire the consistency. To borrow from a later post, Blackwood?

I drive a car named for a trim level.

"Tone deaf" is what I think it's called. The agency responsible for gathering & analyzing their focus groups? Bet they were the lowest bidder.

Being an old f--- (fool?) and having spent formative years in Grand Junction, CO, I know the California Zephyr was the train (named after the gentle breeze) that ran one of the most beautiful routes in the world, between Denver & GJ. While we're at it, who knows what D & RGW stands for, or cares? Yeah, I know. No one.

Lincoln may name their vehicles strangely, but at least they don't advertise them, or upgrade them, or . . .

By the way, naming a car for a gentle breeze leads one to believe it's something that goes places in a very refined way. Sorta like that old economy run where the egg was placed between the foot & the accelerator -- Mobil did it, I think. Doesn't have a lot to do with a car that isn't driven like a limo, or does it?

All together, now -- C L U E L E S S.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    What is the Denver & Rio Grande Western. I'll take railroads for 50 Alex.. :)
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I just tried out the THX sound in an Aviator this morning - it's amazing!!! My .02.
  • chad_c_uchad_c_u Member Posts: 8
    I have been reading the forum over and I am happy ANT has been listening and responding to the questions. While many gripes are about the engine or the deviations from the concept...some of these would be expected. I choose to focus on things that are fixable. Being 24, Lincoln has successfully attracted a buyer in a unreached demographic. I think the THX sound system with 600 watts and fourteen speakers is number one in the industry for factory sound, which saves audiophiles such a myself from changing out an entire system. I currently drive a horsepower machine with awd and I absolutely cant wait to get rid of it. I think front wheel drive was a great decision that attracts the average motorist that deals with occasional snow without having to waste daily gas on unneeded awd. I was disappointed by some of the changes made from the concept, but once again I can live with. After purchasing the car I will probably lower the car a couple inches and get larger sexy wheels. Yet, I have two minor requests for ANT to consider. Ford needs to arrange an option or after market carrier for a new gear shifter. The current one is hideous and an option for a hairwood OEM match would be greatly appreciated. Second minor problem I saw with the Lincoln pictures was the light beige interior had gauges that were black. They have an up close picture of the gauges with a white fascia and I hope the light interior would include that. Finally I have a concern with the front fascia of the Zephyr. The exterior when presented in a light color (ie white) looks awkward with the current black cavity beneath the grill and headlights. On a darker car the area doesn't stand out, but something needs done by the designers. Some fixes may include body color inserts, mesh covering, or something. Currently I would have the dealer immediately tape of the inserts and put a nickel colored paint to the insert, the fog lights, and the rear tail piece by the exhaust. I understand the pain of body color molding and such but the alternative is tacky.
    Anyway, I will deal with the final product to make it my own but a different shift knob option would be highly wanted by the consumers. Most aftermarket products are not a direct match. A official option would be great!

Chad

Help me out ANT!
    Have you received a timeline for promotional advertising to reach dealerships? I have been waiting for the promotional book for months.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    I think one of the biggest mistakes i've seen from marketing was to debut those cars in that beige color. Looks much more elegant and pieced together in black or dark blue, but the beige killed it.

I believe marketing might have something up there sleeve that will help promote the vehicle (a la Flex-Fusion), that might bring for aftermarket items. And there's always local places that will specifically do them for you if need be.

The shifter pays homage to something of a gone-by era, to try and piece the name, to the vehicle, to the history, same with the dashboard bannacles.
  • fbcjrfbcjr Member Posts: 19
    What are "bannacles"? I really don't know, and I tried to look it up on dictionary.com and it wasn't recognized.
    Binnacles
  • fbcjrfbcjr Member Posts: 19
    I wasn't sure what "binnacle" meant either, so I looked it up. It has one definition no dictionary.com, which is archaic: "A case that supports and protects a ship's compass, located near the helm." So, in the car context, is a "binnacle" the part that houses the gauges? (See, I wasn't being sarcastic when I asked about "bannacles" -- I don't even know for sure what a "binnacle" is.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    A binnacle is the housing that encases the gages.

It is a commonly used term in the automotive industry, but heard almost nowhere else. Just like cubby is most often used in the child care industry! The other day a woman at work told me to look in a coworkers cubby to see if she had mail, and I nearly fell in the floor! :)
    It's a fancy way to refer to the gauge cluster.
    But I guess it's not as fancy as hoped when the person using the flowery word misspells it.
  • theman123theman123 Member Posts: 170
    Lincoln Leads J.D. Power Dealer Service Satisfaction Survey for the 2nd year in a row. Your thoughts.

Lincoln J.D. Power Survey results
  • jcat707jcat707 Member Posts: 169
    Today while I was on the freeway, I saw a silver Zephyr. It't looks pretty nice on the outside to me. I didn't like the taillights though. I'll have to get a closer look at the exterior and interior before I make my final judgement.
    Honestly, I'm not surprised. I have been driving Lincolns since 1990, mostly because of the service I get, at the sale, and after the sale. All from one dealer, however, YMMV - but evidently not too much based upon this survey.
  • deanvitdeanvit Member Posts: 23
    Do Lincoln service departments offer free loaner cars while yours is being serviced?
    Yes, they do offer free loaners through the warranty period at least - and I have always received one, no quibbles at all, ever.
    Free Lincoln loaners used to be required by the warranty. Now the only requirement is that they provide "transportation" - which means anything from a loaner to a shuttle ride to hitching a ride with the mechanic. However, most dealers appear to still be giving out loaners. I usually get a LS or a Town Car at my local F/L/M dealer. At the other nearby dealer I got a loaner but it was an Expedition one time and a 4 door F150 the next. They use Enterprise.

I know some Mercedes dealerships that give out Camrys as loaners except on the really expensive models.
  • jcat707jcat707 Member Posts: 169
    I saw it here in Merto Detroit. It was on the Southfield freeway coming up at he 8 mile exit. The driver was most likely on his way home from work since it was around 5pm.
    "I know some Mercedes dealerships that give out Camrys as loaners except on the really expensive models"

That's what ours does, and I don't see the logic in that at all!! I may, if given a Camry for an E-series that in the shop, discover that the Camry is better!!!
    My father works for an L-M dealer. They rent cars for their customers at Enterprise.
    The GM of the dealership discovered they were giving Cadillacs to Lincoln customers. Needless to say, he flipped out.
  • johnson5johnson5 Member Posts: 34
    For car costing five dollars less than 30 K

I expect it to have a warranty lasting as long as Hyundai
    I expect it to have vehicle dynamic control as standard
    Turn signal light on side view mirrors
    Heated and cooled seats not as an option but as standard.
    Either performance or gas mileage similar to sonata.

But I guess I can buy it through Sam’s auto purchase program. Or through costoco For 27K( both carry mercury and lincoln )
    may be there will be a rebate in future of about 1500$.
    I'm preturbed by your comparison of the Lincoln with a Hyundai. However, I can't argue with what you said. I wish Lincoln would decide what they want to be known for and stay true to that mission.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    You'd be less perturbed if you drove the new Sonata, particularly the LX with the Premium Pkg... at less than $25K, its an incredibly well executed vehicle. No NAV available yet though. (The power and efficiency of the drivetrain are commendable, the ride excellent, handling balanced, and construction and materials both very strong. Then of course, theres the laundry list of standard safety features.) Try it for yourself, you might be very surprised!

~alpha
    You'll be surprised to know that I drove one about a month ago, and was duly impressed. I've had a lot of exposure to Elantras, and while competent, they are not a satisfactory car for my needs, but the Sonata with the 6 is actually not bad. Almost as good as a Camry, I'd say. Not a Lincoln though. Still, your point is very well taken-Lincoln ought to offer at least, what Hyundai does, but so should everyone else.
    Shamed by Hyundai (and in direct competition with them) the Ford FOCUS offers a 10/100 power train warranty. No Lincoln does.

Sad.
    but for 10 grand less, I'd happily take the Sonata, even without NAV, THX Audio, or "not [being] a Lincoln". What does that really mean anyway? I also feel the 235 horse Sonata will spank the Zephyr (even with its 6A), in acceleration, nevermind what cars like the similarly priced TL will do to it.

Who's impressed by this one? From what I can see, probably not many folks who arent already members of the Ford Lincoln/Mercury camp.

~alpha
    The Focus has a 3 yr/36K basic warranty and a 5 yr/100K powertrain warranty.
    The Zephyr will have 1 yr free maintenance and a 4 yr/50K mile warranty.

Any car can have any warranty - it's not an indication of quality. The automaker simply adds the expected warranty cost to the cost of the vehicle.

If you prefer the Sonata then I'm sure there's another board for that.
    I didn't say I preferred the Sonata, I said that the Hyundai has a 10/100k powertrain warranty...and that it is a shame the Lincoln doesn't approach that.

And I stand by that. I didn't realize the Focus doesn't even match that. Thanks for telling me.

FYI, I am very interested in the Zephyr, but not until AWD and a 3.5L are available...
    "I didn't say I preferred the Sonata" Ok, so where on post 395 you said, "for 10K less, I'd happily take the Sonata", you were just kidding? Sounds to me like you prefer the Sonata? But, I know you better than that, John... I know you're not trolling here...

Additionally, "what does (being a Lincoln) that mean anyway?"

I don't know - but literally every day I drive my 05 Taurus and people I know see me, somebody, without fail so far, tells me, "that car is not you, it just doesn't look right". I even had a friend in the same business tell me, "this looks like you've given up". Today, a friend said, "this negates all of your success" and told me I should rethink my decision to drive that car in lieu of my Navigator. I was trying to save a little gas and some miles on the truck. Finally, I had one person tell me, "That Taurus on you looks like a fat woman in sweats".

Conclusion: It means something. Believe me, a Sonata garners no more respect than a Taurus does. :confuse:

John; you're a good guy, and I'm not dumping on you, just having some fun.

How's the 500 doing?
    Post 395 was Alpha, not me. So not only was I not kidding, not trolling--I didn't EVEN say it! :)

I have NEVER said one fond word about any Hyundai, nor am I likely to. You see, last summer, I picked up a rental car in San Fran--a Hyundai, I believe it was a Sonata. Every four or five minutes, the door dinger started going off without warning, in heavy San Fran traffic. To Oakland I ended up going the next day (and having to waste several hours I had other, more fun-filled plans for out of a jam-packed week), and the nice manager at Dollar Rental Car put me in a Chrysler 300 for my troubles.

My Five Hundred was on order at the time. I learned then I HATED the 300, the major reason being that to drive one is very similar to driving from the bottom of the corner mail box, peeping out the slot wherein mail is deposited.

So, no, I did NOT say anything complimentary about Hyundai...I can still hear that infernal, unexpected and erratic dinging....which wouldn't stop until the car was pulled over and the ignition turned off...an insistent chime.

My favorable comments were about Hyundai's WARRANTY, not its cars, which, from my experience, albeit limited, NEED that warranty. I also find it hard to respect a car company whose very name is so easily confused with Honda, and whose cars' styling is also derivative of others, others much more expensive than their own.

The Five Hundred? An AWD SEL, it now has 34,000 trouble free miles. And no dinging. My only problem is I can't decide if I want an AWD 3.5L Lincoln Zephyr next time, or the 3.5L AWD Five Hundred/Montego, due about the same time. I'll be driving both, then deciding...provided nothing more interesting to me comes out in the meanwhile... I was tempted by another Impala, this time with a V8, but I won't even drive one as you can't get automatic climate control, which I love and missed the entire time I owned my 00 Impala LS. Add to that, you also cannot get AWD, and the command seating that I so love in the Five Hundred is certainly not a feature on the Impala.

As for the Lincoln meaning something, that also wasn't me, except I DO worry about being a bit more visible than I would like in my travels to large, inner city, mostly Northeastern areas....as a former president said, "I'm a Ford, not a Lincoln." I am a wee bit concerned about getting undue attention from law enforcement and thieves. (There's a combination seldom seen). :D To me, one of the big pluses of my Pueblo Gold Five Hundred is that it is so anonymous most people do not even see it!
    From everything I've read so far, the new Sonata will earn a lot more respect than the 9 year old rental queen that is the Taurus. Interesting how the mighty have fallen, the car was simply brilliant, especially from a domestic make, when it debuted for the '86 model year. Now, I believe something approaching 50% of Taurus sales are fleet, IIRC.

Mind you, I dont think the Taurus is a bad car, and it might be the best value ever as a Certified Used (seeing as how its so long in the tooth, what problems could there really be!!), its just very dated. And for 06, the Duratec goes away and the Vulcan is the sole power.

If the Sonata cant get more respect than that car... sheesh, people are just unwilling to accept change!!!

Going back to the Zephyr, got a very good mailing today (snail kind). Thus far, Im duly impressed by the ad campaign. It looks to be a good car, I just wonder if its enough with so much else out there. For me, not a fan of the interior, but the chassis has significant appeal...

About the 'Lincoln' name... no offense to owners, but Id say it carries the least panache/cachet of any lux or near lux marque out there.

~alpha
    I have been wanting to see the production interior of a Zephyr. Does the interior have the Hairwood shown at the auto show or did they change the wood again? Additionally with the tan interior are the gauges white or did they change them all to black? Also has anyone heard the true thx 2 sound system? Is the stats still at 600 watts of amp? How big of wheels will a Zephyr fit?
    Everyone is obsessed with a 3.5 AWD. The triplets chassis already sit fairly high. Often with an AWD system the chassis get an inch lift, as in the chrysler's awd system. The inch may have already been built into the current chassis, which could be the reason the chassis sit so high. I think the possibility of increased ride height or an inability to lower the car would be a negative to the AWD system. Anyone elses thoughts?
    Again, I am not sure why everyone thinks incentives will be needed to sell this car. Every near luxury segment car is currently attacking the BMW 3 series. Lincoln is focusing on the buyers who are attracted to the new Fusion, but would like a smooth ride and interior refinement. The investment for Lincoln is reduced! If Lincoln holds a slightly positive profit and the Milan/Fusion are huge successes, Americans may realize that domestics are attractive cars. If Ford pulls off a recall free launch, Americans may decide that the big three have competitive products. The alternative is watching American white collar workers being sent home, so we can support the Japanese economy! While many people focus on the cars not being made in north america, the true money is where the corporate headquarters lie.
    The second generation THX certified system in the 2006 Lincoln Zephyr offers the following:

14 speakers

600 watts of amplification

12 channels of digital signal processing power providing:

Individual speaker EQ

Three optimized seating position modes (Driver, Front Seat, All Seats)

THX patented configurable speaker array processing

Surround processing of stereo CDs

Updated Press Kit Info

THX II-Certified® audiophile six-disc CD/MP3 player with ten speakers

ANT, please tell me the system did not get changed! The info was taken from the Jan 6, press release between THX/Lincoln...The second was on the updated Press Kit Info. If Ford made this change, I will be extremely upset!
    A) Ford sometimes counts 2-way speakers as 2 speakers instead of 1. So it's possible that they just changed the terminology and not the physical layout.

B) If they did take out 4 speakers from the original plan, it's because they weren't needed. 10 speakers is MORE than enough.

I wouldn't worry about it - I'm sure it will sound GREAT!
    The quality of the speakers and the reproduction of sound, is the highest of it's type in the factory automotive stereo industry.

This is the 2nd generation of THX that will be introduced on the Zephyr, I believe it's like 10.1 or something for it. I read an interesting report on it, but I misplaced it, now I can't find it around me.

But you could probably contact THX.com and ask them specifically what the changes entail. Supposedly the speaker count goes down to 10, but because the quality of the speakers and reproduction of sound is much more precise that 14 wasn't needed, last I heard.

You can email Nick Twork ntwork1@ford.com and maybe he can give you specific details.
    Thanks for the information I sent the email this afternoon. Do you have any comments on the wood changes from the auto show model or colors of the current gauges? Also, do you know when dealers will receive promotional booklets for the Zephyr?
    Oops, my bad, John. Apologies. Glad to hear the 500 is holding up well.
    "Mind you, I dont think the Taurus is a bad car, and it might be the best value ever as a Certified Used (seeing as how its so long in the tooth, what problems could there really be!!), its just very dated. And for 06, the Duratec goes away and the Vulcan is the sole power."

Keep in mind, that Taurus is currently relegated to Fleet sales primarily. Retail sales of this car are incidental at this point. But you're right - I bought an 05 with 15K miles on it 2 months ago for $10,500 - virtually half price, current year, barely used. They are a terrific certified or used buy right now. Frankly, although I didn't buy it for my daily driver, I really enjoy the little car and take it whenever it's available. Saves gas, saves miles on my Navigator, and is kinda fun, and there are no defects in the car whatever, everything works great, and the A/C is kick butt. It has the Vulcan, and it's no race horse though, especially in second gear. If you put your foot in it, it'll go pretty well, but otherwise, it's set for economy mode.

Finally, regarding the mighty have fallen? You are so right. I keenly remember the introduction of the 86 Taurus, which made instant old news of the Chevy Celebrity - you couldn't give a Celebrity away to someone. As soon as I sat in a Taurus, I had to have one, and ended up buying a fleet of them for my company, and a Sable for me. The Taurus of today doesn't even drive like that one did. Let alone the ergonomics, seat quality, etc., have all gone to the wayside. It's a cheap little car now, a good value, but nothing special.
    "While many people focus on the cars not being made in north america, the true money is where the corporate headquarters lie."

Amen to that!!!
    "While many people focus on the cars not being made in north america, the true money is where the corporate headquarters lie."

Remember when the "US" car companies used to blame their poor products on the shoddy workmanship of American workers? And they could never compete on price because American workers were overpaid?

I guess as the Italian saying goes: the fish rots from the head.
    I'll try and find that out, currently I'm still not in my house yet ...I keep hearing the "two more weeks"... senario.

Once I settle down, I can give you more accurate answers since I'll have more items at my disposal.