Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ

Comments

• bmichelbmichel Member Posts: 7
    The salesman steered me to the Milan and gave me the impression that he did not feel the price difference was worth it. I would be interested in any comments from someone who did closely compare the two. Is it simply more expensive (e.g. sunroof)?

I prefer a tighter driving car, so perhaps the Milan is better. I have not driven either one yet. I am also looking at Acura TL and BMW 325 but would like somewhat more room in tradeoff for some sportiness. Also, I have a Ford supplier discount, so the price difference gets magnified.

The Milan interior impresses me with the multiple shade/color upholstery. Most other luxury cars are so monochromatic. The two things missing from this whole lineup are shiftable automatic transmission and dynamic stability control.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    There are real differences besides the obvious ones visible to anyone (better quality interior, e.g.). More sound deadening, thicker glass (quieter), etc. Memory seats. Cooled seats. Homelink garage door opener.

Do I personally think it's worth $4K more than a Milan? Not until they get the 3.5L and add a few more bells and whistles.

I went from a Lincoln LS to a Fusion instead of the Zephyr because I thought it was a better bargain and I actually liked the Fusion styling better (inside and out). It's a little noisier and I miss the homelink and a few other things but I'm happy.

I've also heard the Zephyrs are in shorter supply vs. demand than the Milans so keep that in mind. However, that doesn't mean he was wrong about the Milan.
  • zipzepzipzep Member Posts: 1
    I'm glad to see this board and how helpful the opinions and experiences can be. I've been stuck in a quandry for the past few weeks deciding what vehicle to get, having just won a :lemon: case on my 04 F150 and offered to exchange for any new 06 on the lot (up to the same MSRP of my truck) at no cost to me.

I originally was considering the Fusion, as it was the only Ford that I liked regarding style and sportiness. But no way could I get the MSRP up to the MSRP of my truck...so I would have been losing money essentialy. I was stuck - I didn't want another truck, SUV, or RWD car. I thought about the other cars based on it's platform, though, and checked out the Milan/Zephyr at the local L/M dealer. (Ford agreed to let me exchange on another FoMoCo product, not just Ford brand).

I liked the Zeph from what I saw in photos, but really liked it when I saw it in person... even when compared to the Milan side by side. On the outside, what really caught my eye with its moderne-meets-art-deco styling. Tasteful bits of chrome, pretty taillights, sharp headlights and body curves which give it a somewhat sporty luxury look (to me, anyways). Of course, like most cars, certain colors look best - Black, Silver, Tungsten. It also stands out of the crowd, somewhat individual, people tend to notice around here (as I have yet to see another one on the road) which I like rather than blending in with every other BMW and Honda out there. :shades:

Driving it was great, too. It was very relaxing and smooth, QUIET, slick gauges, nice sounding 6, and does have some decent getup and go. Sure, it may not be a rocket, but how many people really use all 2XX horses under the hood driving around town or to work? I don't think many folks will be out street racing their Zephyrs, and I wonder how many of those 30 extra horses someone is using under the hood of their Lexus compared to a Zephyr ;)

And 'little' things that impressed me you may not see listed in the literature - autodimming mirror, with autodimming EXTERNAL mirrors. Projector HID headlamps with projector foglights give nice crisp light (Infiniti G35 and Lexus IS300 didn't have projector HID's, just regular reflective HID bulbs and don't light up so well). Run on 87 octane gas! You can hold the unlock button on the keyfob to lower all the windows and vent the sunroof. Very nice riding and quiet Michelin tires from the factory. A year longer warranty than the Ford and Mercury, too.

So I placed my order today for a black Zephyr with Dark Charcoal interior, fully loaded minus the navigation system. I'm getting the new satin finish brushed aluminum trim package, too, to replace the wood trim. Has anyone seen that first hand? I only got to see some small pictures and not sure how they will look in person, but given that the car will be black/black, brushed aluminum accents should look really nice. It should arrive in the next two weeks :D
    Congrats. Check out the Lincoln LS - it is (was?) offered with the satin aluminum dash trim so it should look similar.
  • corschwcorschw Member Posts: 4
    I am going to buy a Zephyr this weekend. I saw the brushed chrome on one in the show room and it looked great. I'm still trying to negotiate the best price. How much did they negoiate off sticker.
    I bought a Fusion at X-plan prices (0.4% below invoice). Depends on the dealer and how many Zephyrs they're selling and how many are in stock. You can order one with the exact options and colors you want and they might give you a slightly better deal. Right now I'd say $1000 off MSRP would be a good deal. You might do better but some will probably want MSRP.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    if you haven't already started the sales process, i would email the internet sales person. check tmv also.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    Congrats. Sounds great. Hope it works out better than the F150 >:( My '01 LS @ 70K still runs great. Has the same engine that the Zephyr does and it's been rock solid for me.

I saw today my first ever Zephyr that wasn't on the dealer's lot. It was arctic white and went slowly past in the left lane and I gotta admit, that's a nice, classy looking vehicle. I do think it's better looking than the LS.
  • Here we can get a $1,000 rebate before any other price negotiation. Strange, on a brand new model that is selling well.

The Mark LT is allegedly doing well too, but you can get $4,000 in rebates already. Strange marketing that will likely negatively affect residuals.
    The incentives were in place from day 1 on the fusion and milan as well. I think it's smart - put a little cash to ensure a good sales launch and if sales continue they can cut back on them later. If they had done the opposite - launched without any incentives, then added them later the people who just bought one without incentives would be really upset. This way the people who buy later with a lower incentive will just say "I should have bought it earlier while the incentives were better". Time will tell if it was a good move.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    Zephyr: 2,692
  • Which would be annual sales of a bit over 30,000. Ok, and perhaps even a good start, but nothing to write home about.
    Considering it's only been out for 3 months and dealer stock is very low AND the 3.5L engine and AWD aren't available yet - I'd say it's a great start. But the key is how well the triplets are selling since they can adjust the ratio of each model to meet demand.
  • kjnormankjnorman Member Posts: 243
    Does anyone know when the 3.5l and AWD will actually hit showrooms? My dealer is thinking September but he admits that is a guess...
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    For anyone who has the THX II audiophile system, how specifically does it compare to the Mark Levinson in the Lexus, the ELS 5.1 DTS in the Acura TL and the LOGIC7 in the BMW and Mercedes-Benz?

Is it generally as good? Better?

Thanks.
    The reviews that I've heard say it's very, very good but not quite as good as the Levinson or the Acura TL. At least that was the scoop on THX-I, not sure if THX-II is better - I'm sure it's not worse.
    September/October unless they run into delays.
  • caliddcalidd Member Posts: 60
    Most of the Lincoln dealerships around here have just 2 or 3 Zephyrs on the lot. I'd like to see it in different colors without having to drive a great distance to a big-city lot that may have more colors in its inventory.

Can anyone point me to a website that shows actual photos--not the color imaging on the Lincoln.com website--of the Zephyr in pearl blue, white, silver, etc? Thanks!
    Got my new Zepher Monday. I love it. I have been stopped twice already by individuals that wanted info on the car. No one every asked about my Acura TL. One pleasant surprise was how easy the back seats folded down from the trunk. It is a real comfortable car to drive.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    How would you say the Zephyr compares to your TL in respect to ride quality, quietness of the cabin at highway speeds, quality of the THX II sound system vs. the ELS system of the Acura, Navigation system quality (if you have that option), and overall fit and finish?

Thanks.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Lincoln LS dropped, Zephyr called a "sportier" car (Ford GT also dropped):

http://tinyurl.com/am96o
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    You might want to learn to spell the name of the car you love so much.
    "Lincoln LS dropped, Zephyr called a "sportier" car"

Oh gawd. Straight from the mouth of a Ford PR rep too. Yep. the "way forward" apparently defines a sportier vehicle as the one with less horsepower and only 2 choices of forward gears, D and L. Who needs a spirited V8 and select shift? Oh, or a Formula-1 inspired chassis and suspension? THIS PROVES THAT FORD ALL ALONG REALLY HAD NO CLUE OF WHAT THE LS WAS.

Also, the rep says that the $30K Zephyr REPLACES the $40K LS in Lincolns' "lineup".

I think they should put that "lineup" against a wall and 'ready, aim, .... Oh, they already did Fire. Pretty much everybody.

PS - don't shed a tear over the demise of the GT. The Fusion is a sportier car.
    Easy, George. It's just marketing. They have to have some excuse for killing the LS other than the real ones.
  • How about the truth? Marketing has a job to do, but can't they hire spin meisters who don't say ridiculous things? The LS was not selling well and was more expensive to manufacture than the Zephyr. So turn that into a rational move and be done with it.
    I guess I'm too used to half-truths and deception from marketing types so I tend to just ignore it.
    ""Lincoln LS dropped, Zephyr called a "sportier" car"

Oh gawd. Straight from the mouth of a Ford PR rep too."

In the interest of truth, I need to apologize as it's been pointed out elsewhere that the 'sportier' comment was not attributed to a Ford rep and so could have been the opinion of the reporter.
    Anyway you spell it the great ride is the same. I'm not a car buff I just know what I like. I had two Toyota Avalons and only changed because I thought buying three was way to boring. Next I drove a new Audi A6. I really liked that car and the way it handled until I began to feel the hestitation when I got on the expressway. After having it checked several times I was told that was just a problem with that year model. Maybe, but I choose the Acura TL next. That too was a great driving car and I really had little to no problems in the 3yrs I owned that car. I considered the Acura again but the new model is 4 inches shorter all of which came out of the trunk. Since I sell real estate it is important that I can have a car to fit my signs and the new Acura didn't. As far as the ride quality vs the Acura TL I think they are equal however, I would have to say the Zephry is quieter. I can't help with the sound system I am a talk radio listner and they all seem to sound the same. The overall finish is very nice with the interior being exceptional. My car is an extension of my office. I have people in and out of my car all the time and it is important to me that they are comfortable when doing business. For me it is a good fit.
    I know hesitation and listener are spelled wrong. That is why I'm a sales person and have an assistant do my paper work.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Don't worry about it - if there was a requirement for correct spelling (and worse, correct grammar!), the numbers of postings around here would reduced by at least half!! ;)

We're here to talk about the cars, not to have a spelling class.
    If anyone on this forum has purchased a white Zephyr, I'd love to see photos. Would you please post them? I still haven't seen an interior in light stone either. I drove about 40 miles to see a white zephyr with light stone interior since the internet said that it was in-stock at that dealer, only to learn when I got there that it had sold.

Dealers are spread far apart around here, so it's difficult to see the Zephyr in more than one or two colors.

Photos, please! Thanks!
  • 06zephyr06zephyr Member Posts: 32
    I have a white zephyr with the stone interior but have no pics yet. I love the car and the colors.It will require a lot of cleaning maintenance of the interior. If you are a clean car freak as i am and enjoy the cleaning and waxing then go for it. It is gorgeous. It is the rug and floor mats that will require all the cleaning.The seats I do once a month as the dirt from pants does show up on the seats. Whatever color you get you are gonna LOVE this car
    :)
    Oh I'd love to see photos of your car, including of the rug and floor mats (and the woodtone, seat colors, etc.)!Will you be taking some photos any time soon? Is there a way of sending them while protecting your privacy?

Also, I wondered whether there is something you can treat your seats with to avoid dirt pile-up on them? I am a bit of a clean freak myself, but I don't know how it would be to NEED to clean them every month because dirt was so visible.
  • ibentmywookieibentmywookie Member Posts: 3
    Hi all:

I haven't made my final decision but maybe someone here can help me. I was just vaguely considering the Zephyr for a new car purchase until I took one for a test drive this past weekend. It's a great car, and to echo what everyone else has said: the photos don't do it justice. It's a sharp looking car, both interior- and exterior-wise.

In any case, I noticed in this thread that getting Sirius added to the NAV system was an option -- has anyone here actually had it done? How integrated is it with the touchscreen? There's no seperate console for the radio controls, right? I've just prefer to hear from someone else first on how well it's worked out.

Second, does anyone know a rough estimate for factory ordering a Zephyr? The dealerships in the area don't have any Zephyrs with the exact combination of options and interior/exterior color scheme that I'd be looking for. I can definitely deal with a different color scheme, but if factory ordering one to be exactly what I'd want is an option that wouldn't take months and months, I might just do that.
    If your dealer has allocation you should be able to order one in 4-8 weeks. Maybe less if they can modify an existing order.

Your dealer can also take your requirements for colors and options and do an online search of the entire area (including surrounding states) and if they find a match they can usually trade for it. Or you can go to lincolnvehicles.com and there's an option to let them find a vehicle for you.

Can't help with the satellite interface, but I think it will be available as a factory option on the 07 models.
    Zephyr to get new 3.5L, be renamed MKZ, 3.5 NOT to go in model year 2007 Fusion or Milan:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060207/AUTO01/602070403/1148-
    This just gets sillier and sillier:

The car's badge will say MKZ but Lincoln wants it called "Mark Z."......"It's an absurd waste of money" to change the car's name and appearance so quickly after launching it, said Joe Phillippi, principal of AutoTrends Consulting, Short Hills, N.J. "These things take a long time planning. They could have done it when they introduced the car.",

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060207/BUSINESS01/602070414/10- - 14
    We already knew that Fusion and Milan wouldn't get the 3.5L.

A lot of people didn't like the Zephyr name, either. I guess you're darned if you do, darned if you don't.

At least they're trying to be consistent.
  • brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    Addressing some of the shortcomings now is better than waiting for 3 years like they did with the LS. I welcome the engine change and other upgrades. Changing the name after one year does seem incredible but I was not wild about the Zephyr name, myself.
  • rbrittrbritt Member Posts: 3
    In reply to Priggly - I purchased a Zephyr just prior to Christmas with every option less the chrome wheels. I was driving a TL Type S and to compare:
    Interior: The cabin is fantastic and commutes are a pleasure with the THX II sound system (the best, out there).The seats are very comfortable the heating/cooling is far superior to the Acura. The Navigation system is top notch, as well.
    Ride: very smooth and quiet, power is lacking in comparison to the TL - I will summarize with very competent if not exciting. However, the lack of torque steer when hitting the hammer down is a blessing!
    Style: I think very nice in appearance (better than the pics, many agree)and everybody and their brother isn't driving one.
    Overall, I believe that the Zephyr is a good choice and you will save some serious money in choosing this car over some of the other Sedans loaded up with options. What you lack in horsepower will affect about 1% of the time if driving conditions and speed limits are like they are in Southern ontario!
  • I agree, akirby. Consistency is something Lincoln can use on any level. Besides, "Zephyr" is not well-established--and some even remember it as a bland Mercury product.

The 3.5 will come to Fusion and Milan eventually (they will have to in order to compete as hp keeps rising), but by then (hopefully) the MKZ will have an even higher output version.

Overall, it may translate into a good move for Lincoln. They can tout MKZ as a new model again in the fall, while putting a more contemporary Lincoln face on it.

BTW, it will be interesting to see how the MK nomenclature goes down. Rather than emphasizing the Lincoln name, people may start referring to their vehicle as a "Mark,"--in which case the Lincoln name is still de-emphasized.
    Silly is an understatement. This is embarassing. If I worked for Lincoln marketing, I would hope I'd have enough self-respect to fall on my sword right about now :>)

Seriously though, what will this do to sales of the Zephyr the rest of this year? Who's going to buy one now, except people who have no clue about the MKZ? Then when the new model appears, how peeved will they be that they bought the ugly, underpowered step-sister?

At least some effort is being made to distinguish the Z from the Milan besides charging $400 more for the same hole in the roof. But as one analyst said it's a move in the right direction but still the Z will not be competitive with other cars in the segment.

Sad. All the cachet from the LS is just about gone. I'm getting a bit embarassed to be seen in mine. Perhaps it's time for a Honda.
    Who's going to buy one now, except people who have no clue about the MKZ?

Fortunately for Lincoln the percentage of prospective Zephyr buyers who have even heard about the MKZ will be very, very small. Outside of people in the industry, reporters and a small group of car enthusiasts like us nobody will even know it exists until it shows up on the highway. You'd be amazed how many people have never heard of the Fusion to this day and it's been out for over a year and on sale for 4 months.

And some of the ones who do know won't wait, especially if they perceive a price increase for the new model. So I don't think it will hurt at all.
  • Once again, akirby, I agree with ya. If people really don't see the sameness between an Explorer and a Mountaineer (and many don't), and many haven't even heard of the Fusion yet, the percentage who will not buy a Zephyr because a "MKZ" is coming soon is miniscule.

As to what this move might do to Zephyr resale is another question, but it can't be any worse than the already bad residuals of Town Car and LS. And some people will even prefer the understated Lincoln grill on the Zephyr to the MKZ's new face.
  • 06zephyr06zephyr Member Posts: 32
    Calidd......send me your e mail and i will probably take pictures this weekend and cna send them to you....my e mail is in my profile so send ur e mail to that address
  • ibentmywookieibentmywookie Member Posts: 3
    Who's going to buy one now, except people who have no clue about the MKZ? Then when the new model appears, how peeved will they be that they bought the ugly, underpowered step-sister?

Hear hear! I was all set to go in this weekend and make an offer on a Zephyr, even with reservations in the back of my mind that this car may have been just an interim model... but now there's no way I'm going to purchase one. Thank you to johnclineii for posting the article -- otherwise I probably would have been blissfully unaware of the change.

I understand that there are going to be some changes from year to year, but they're going so far as to rename the frickin' thing! Besides being an extra hit on the resale value, it doesn't inspire any confidence in this year's model.

I wish I could wait until late this year to purchae a new car so that maybe the MKZ could be on my shopping list, but who knows, maybe it'll get renamed too. This just makes Lincoln look silly -- they should know better.
    What I found releaving from this article are the two following comments:

The Lincoln Zephyr sedan hasn't been out four months yet and Ford Motor Co. is already planning a makeover that will include a more powerful engine, a flashier front end and a new name -- the MK Z.

The MK Z is more reflective of the new Lincoln design theme, a look exemplified by the new Lincoln MK S flagship sedan that was unveiled at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit last month

So, might this mean the new MkZ will get a nose close to the MkS that was showed in Detroit? If so, then indeed I think this is good news!!

I'm trying to plan a visit to the Chicago auto show, and this will give me more incentive, as an AWD 3.5l Zephyr (umm, MkZ) is definately on my shopping list.
    Why guess when the pictures are already out? See for yourself:

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=22595&make_id=trust
    Whooppy dooo!!

I really do not see much difference in the front end. Okays its got bright chrome around the fogs and a horizonal bar across the grill. Big deal! Not really the big deal made in the press release.

Am I missing something here?
    Not earth shattering, but it does look better to me.

MKZ

Zephyr