Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 Nissan Xterra

2»

Comments

• atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    The Xterra is built on a truck chassis with a separate frame. The current Xterra is related to the Frontier. The new (2005) Frontier, Xterra will all be on a modified Titan chassis. It is rear wheel drive, unless you engage the part time 4wd system.

The Murano is a crossover based off a modified car (I believe Altima, but don't quote me on that) chassis. It is a unibody and not a body on frame design. In 2wd it is a front drive vehicle. The 4wd system is actually a full time AWD system. The two vehicles are very different mechanically.

Having said that, the Murano may be a better choice for you. You give up some off road capability in exchange for better ride and handling, and it is less likely to turn over than a truck based SUV.

I like the Murano, but we already have a crossover (a Subaru Forester XT) and for my work I need a vehicle that can occasionally get through the mud and the woods. And (back to our regularly scheduled programming) that is why I am hanging around the 2005 Xterra board.
    I would not worry too much about a vehicle made in Mexico. Many of the major parts will probably be sourced from the Japan and the U.S., and I do not think a major manufacturer would be in Mexico if they did not feel comfortable with the end product. Toyota (or Nissan for that matter) will not put out junk.
  • bobotheclownbobotheclown Member Posts: 53
    I was looking at the Murano at first, but after doing some budgeting, discovered that it's slightly more than I want to pay a month. The Xterra/Frontier/Tacoma is in the price range I'm looking for. I just wish Toyota and Nissan would put out more information about the '05 Xterra and Tacoma. This waiting for more detail thing is hella annoying.

I guess I'll wait until I buy the car to decide if I want the 4wd.
    Anyone have any new info on the '05 Xterra? Like gas mileage or price range?
  • tonka9764tonka9764 Member Posts: 21
    I have an 04 Murano AND a 01 Xterra, and my 2cents would be to go with the Murano if you are mostly staying on-road.

The difference in your payment will be helped by better fuel economy. Having Al-Wheel-Drive makes snowy roads a no-shift, no brainer.

I think re-sale on Muranos might make the "Cost to Own" superior to Xterra too, although Xterras do pretty well in that regard as well.

Anyway folks- nice to be here, and you can ask whatever you want as far as comparing Murano-Xterra benefits etc, as i have both with no agenda.
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    ETA on the xterra, pathfinder, and frontier is late october/early november on the coasts, and late november/early december for everyone else.

as far as the 4x4 option, i look at it this way:

if you use it for stability/traction control, and use it more than 1 or 2 times a year, its worth it.

but if you only need it for the looks or increased ride height, then dont bother. the nissan products all look and drive the same with or without 4x4.
    Also, as much as I like 4x4/AWD in our snowy climate, I wouldn't have it in a dry area where i am not going off-road as it does affect fuel economy to the negative.
    4x4 should be HEAVILY considered, because not only does it affect fuel economy, it raises insurance rates and price as well.
    Ya if I do end up getting an xterra next year it probably won't be a 4x4. not much adverse conditions in southern california. Besides I don't plan to do much off-roading. Probably just some light trails to camp grounds or trips up to the mountains for xmas. While is snows in the california mountains, its probably nothing compared what you guys have back east or up north. Thxs for the info.

Now if I can just find out about the gas mileage on the '05 xterras, I'd be happy.
  • beebee13beebee13 Member Posts: 38
    I am looking forward to test driving the '05 X Terra, and Frontier Crew Cab! My husband and I can hardly wait for retirement and do a little traveling. How much can you tow with the X? So many choices out there, but don't want a mini-van or sedan (are "babies" are our doggies now)...we were also considering the Honda's CRV...like I said sooo many decisions! I contacted Nissan to ask about their X-Trail which seems like just what we would be interested in, and I was told NO X-Trails in the US...At ALL!! I was disappointed because I had heard it would be here in '06 since its doing so well in other countries.
    Another issue is that if you have a high riding SUV on a separate truck frame, for models like the Xterra that have a similar ride height with 2X4 and 4X4, the 2X4 is more likely to flip over in a crash. This information stands out in government tests and insurance industry data using real crash results. Apparently, the couple of hundred extra pounds of a 4wd system on the very bottom of a truck has a real affect on a vehicle's center of gravity.

Now, I am not suggesting that someone buy a 4X4 only to reduce your chances of rolling, but if you do not need a 4X4, you really should be asking yourself if you would be better served driving some type of wagon or crossover, as compared to a true body on frame truck based SUV, in light of the safety issue and other drawbacks associated with a real SUV, such as inferior handling and higher fuel consumption.

Towing is one possible reason a person would need a real truck even if you do not go offroad, but if you tow on a regular basis, you probably would be better off with a larger vehicle than a compact SUV like the Xterra. And believe me (spoken from experience from earlier vehicles) you may tell yourself you do not need 4wd, but it is very, very, very, very, very easy to get stuck in a rear wheel drive only truck. Again, even if you are looking only for light off road or incliment weather needs, you may be better off with an AWD (or even FWD only) crossover than a 2wd truck.

Don't get me wrong, I am no anti SUV person or green party tree hugger, but I think we would all be better off if people who did not need real SUVs did not drive them. Your choice of vehicle should be more than a fashion accessory.
    Hmm didn't really consider the roll over factor. The main reason I'm looking into compact trucks and a suv is the ride height. Like a posted before I'm looking for something that wold give me a good view of the road ahead of me.

Since I drive a crx in southern california, the land of full size trucks and SUVs, I was looking for a truck or suv in the mid to low 20s that offered a v6 engine to replace my car next year. It's scary trying to merge into the freeway with semis and full size trucks/SUVs barreling down on you in a 4 cylinder crx. If there weren't so many large trucks/SUVs on the road, I would never consider buying one. My way of thinking is that if one of these vehicles hits and kills me, I'm making damn sure I'm taking them with me.

I was looking into a Toyota, Honda, or Nissan truck/SUV. The xterra fit that bill. However, I'm still considering the new '05 Frontiers and Tacomas as well. I was considering a number of crossovers, but they're either too much money or lacking a v6. My main concerns about buying a vehicle is price, passenger comfort, reliability and gas; since I'm planning to hold onto this vehicle for a long time.
    Forgot to ask if you arguement for 4x4 and roll over still held true for compact trucks like the tacome 4 door prerunner and the frontier crew? Thanks
    Exact same thing. The high rider 2wd pickups (Pre Runners, Desert Runners, Frontier Crew Cabs, Ranger Edges, Mazda Dual Sports) have a higher center of gravity than a similar raised 4wd pickup. Same issue, a couple of hundred pounds of metal at the bottom of the vehicle will provide some stabilizing influence.

But, compact trucks with raised ride height and 4wd are still very prone to rolling over. That is an issue I think about every time I drive my 4wd Mazda B4000 on the highway, and hopefully it makes me a more careful and aware driver. Its also the reason we bought a Subaru Forester to replace an Isuzu Rodeo, as I figured that while the AWD capability is nice (we have a place in the north Georgia Mountains) we did not need two real trucks.

I've already decided that my next 4wd will have stability control (to help prevent rollovers) and side curtain airbags (to help survive a rollover). But if you do not need a 4wd with off road capability, you need to ask yourself if you really need a tall vehicle. As an aside, I wondered where Mazda got the name Dual Sport. Here you have a vehicle with reduced handling as compared to a lower riding 2wd truck, that you still cannot take in the mud. Maybe it should have been No Sport!
  • adeshadesh Member Posts: 3
    just out of curosity is it possible to get a sunroof on the Xterra
    yes. its a flip-roof, though...not a power one.
  • 03xterraman03xterraman Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know what type of gas mileage the new 4.0 liter will be for the 05 Xterra?
    about the same as the current non-SC.
    bowke28,

Thanks for the information. I have been trying to find out more details about the 05 Xterra but most of the information is all the same. Any ideas on color offerings (Black is the only color I find on any pictures) or base price?
    I have an 03 with about 13000 miles that I really love but have been enticed with the new look and extra room I have been reading about. Do you have any links to other info?

John
    www.nissanusa.com

www.nissannews.com
    Don't rule out buying one a couple years old and buying some new clear jewell headlights on e-bay for $60/pr, maybe add leather and some new floormats (xterraparts.com) and some new tires. Top that iff with a Nissan extended 7/100 warranty, and throw some foggers on the roof for some character, and you've done it on the cheap!

• popealdopopealdo Member Posts: 1
    For 2005 as well? That's one of the features that stopped me from buying the previous X-Terras.
    because of the nature of the roofrack and the upward slant of the roof behind the front cabin, it cant be done with a power roof.

thats ALL?!?!?!?!

please...prioritize, mr. pope. the way a sunroof functions kept you from buying the vehicle you actually WANTED?!?!?!

i just dont get it, i guess.
  • arizonajoearizonajoe Member Posts: 123
    Can anyone confirm whether or not the 2005 Xterra will require premium unleaded? Nissan has been requiring premium on more and more models lately. At this point, all implementations of the 3.5L V6 (from which the Xterra's new 4.0L engine is derived) require premium. I know the current SC Xterra requires premium, but I figure the supercharger might have something to do with that.

My hope is that Nissan will wake up and realize that people do not want to pay for premium in a truck or SUV. The cost of fueling them is already high enough. The new engine is used across the new Frontier, Xterra, and Pathfinder, so it would be a major shock to a lot of shoppers (is there a single truck in the USA that requires premium?).

Anyway, I test drove a Liberty, and today went off-roading for the first time since childhood with some Rubicon-owning coworkers. It was really fun, so the Xterra is on my list, and the CR-V and Escape are off. (They wouldn't have survived today.)
    regular unleaded will be fine, since there will not be a supercharged model.
  • mdellydmdellyd Member Posts: 4
    Tonka9764, it looks like you have "done it on the cheap" as all you have an old X-Terra, nothing more, and getting a little long in the tooth as it will be two body styles old come next year. The foggers on the roof don't add character, they add wind noise!

Yes, regular unleaded is fine. It is what I put in my 2003 Maxima. The cheapest I can find, lol.

Does anybody know if the 2005 X-Terra has stability control?

Roll-over is one of the reasons I bought my Maxima and as far as I am concerned I got the best body style Maxima ever made and in Black too! I can't stand the front end on the new Maxima and I think the front end on the Murano is hideous. Anyway, most of my friends tell my I will roll an SUV coming into the apartment complex or on an on-ramp onto the freeway as aggressive as I drive so I am worried about getting an SUV, but I love the new X-Terra.

Hey, thanks for the advice on the weight of a 4X4 helping to prevent roll-over by lowering the center of gravity. The weight difference on a 2004 4X4 is a whopping 460 pounds which is quite a lot. More than I thought and all down low in the drive train.
    Thanks for the kind words.

I'm sure owners of CJ7s would feel that their outdated body styles were a negative as well.
    PS: The 2003 Maxima IS the best looking EVER! NEVER will one be made as great as yours.
    I will take a little wind noise as a trade off for the capability of lighting a whole campsite when pitching tents etc.

Not everyone can afford a new vehicle, and who is to say that a few people (obviously not as brilliant as you) might prefer an older body style? Like, say a year old Maxima for instance. You can get a 2003 Maxima on the cheap too, as it is getting a "bit long in the tooth" as you put it.

My comments were not to show off my vehicle, just to show other Edmund's users that paying if $30K for a new Xterra does not fit a budget, maybe sprucing up one that is a few years old, getting a 7/100K factory warranty might get them into a vehicle they desire. I'd like a brand new one too. It is a better vehicle, more power, slicker interior etc. But I wouldn't trade my "01 Xterra AND pay $15K on top of it to get one.
    Anyone know what colors will be offered on the new Xterra?

What about pricing?

Is the 4WD system going to be a manual shift like my 03 or is it now going to be just a push of a button?
    If you go to nissanusa.com and look under one of the headings (vehicle, I think)and click on future vehicles you can build your 05 Xterra. It even gives you pricing but the site tells you prices are subject to be higher or lower.
    Looks like they will offer one new color - night armor, looks like a very dark gray. Canteen, solar yellow, avalanche, black, silver, the red seems to be different and granite. Starting at $21,000 for the S model, starting at $24000 for the Off-road model and starting at $26,000 for the SE model.

03xterraman
This discussion has been closed.