Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today!

Comments

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...burgundy-colored Ford Fusion on Fuller Street near Tabor in NE Philly.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    edited February 2013
    Spotted a pair of identically colored C-Maxes at Trader Joes one morning. One leaving the parking lot, while the other was coming up the road behind it. Neat looking buggy.

Also, went to one of those touchless car washs and there were 3 bays, and a total of 10 cars in those bays or waiting in line. 6 of them were new CR-V's... Wow, has that thing taken off.

Also an odd event this morning, It was like Noahs Ark at one of the stoplights near work. A pair of Corollas, a Pair of Escapes, a pair of Accords, a Pair of Fiat 500's, and a Pair of Tacomas all leaving the stop light. Then 2 pairs of Civics at a light further down my commute...

On a side note, great game last night, too bad the 9'ers didn't come back all the way to win. And a double murderer gets the glorious storybook ending... :lemon:
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Buy a lotto ticket with #2.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...my first Ford Taurus Police Interceptor in Philadelphia Police Department livery at Oxford Avenue and Chandler in NE Philly. The PPD has a very diverse fleet, but mostly Crown Vics and Impalas with a few Dodge Charger Hemis used by the Highway Patrol.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,095
    There's a new CRV in my workplace parking garage. The woman who owns it leaves around the same time I do, and several times I have watched her back out, very amusing. She will creep out at probably under 1mph, slowly turning, usually having to stop and re-aim the car. Every time. I wonder if visibility is bad in them, or the camera (I assume standard) is hard for some people to interpret. She's also probably about 5'1", which might add to it. I've never actually driven on a street behind her, and I should probably be thankful for that.
    edited February 2013
    lol, ya being 5' 1" probably doesn't help, but the rear visibility isn't great. One thing Honda did this time around which is dissapointing is shrink the rear window height. They are also ridiculously tinted... The backup camera is great when backing in, but I don't know how helpful it would be backing out because it is aimed more towards the ground and the view gets kinda skewed as you look further back from the bumper.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    At least she's being cautious. Who wants to ding up their new car?

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

edited February 2013
    She'd be better off to back in - seems most good drivers I know do it that way. There's cautious, and there's overdoing it. I can back my car in without hitting the brake or even turning my head, I just use mirrors.

But I will excuse her as the tall wagon is relatively new, and probably has visibility issues relative to a normal car.
    Much better than the folks who back out rushing and carelessly.
    Yeah, that's more the norm in garages here, it seems. Throttle first, look later.

• boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    It's funny how many newer BMWs and Benzes I see locally with front and rear parking sensors and rearview cameras and still with scrapes all over the bumpers. :sick: For some people no amount of assistance will help them drive.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

It is bad that people need them, but they do need them. Can't blame automakers, they're just compensating for a very poor driver training situation in this country.

2 friends bought new CR-Vs and are extremely happy.
    CRVs are good cars. When I worked at Hyundai many people compared them to the Tucson. I find the CRV a better car, although a bit more expensive unless you get into the top models ($36k CDN) where the price is same for both the Tucson and CRV.

I see that too on cars with parking sensors. Technology can't completely cure a simple lack of ability. Money doesn't seem to either - I remember back in the 90s, if you wanted MB W140 parts, you headed to Vancouver, as a certain group who liked them are also notoriously bad drivers :shades:

Backing in is so much better.
    "Certain group". Yeah I know exactly what you're talking about. Still hasn't changed. :shades:

I live in Bellevue - those who didn't buy their way into the lower mainland came here. It's like a mini Vancouver :shades:

It's a good place to run a high end bodyshop. Saw a crunched W212 E63 in front of one not long ago.
    Bellevue - my home town. I got a notice for the 20th high school reunion recently, yikes.

edited February 2013
    I live in Bellevue

You ever see Sir-Mix-A-Lot in your hood? He has a new(ish) video out with a bunch of exotic cars. Actually maybe he's in Spokane :confuse:

music video

He lives down in Auburn or Kent, I think. Posse on Broadway FTW!

Mine is coming up in not terribly long, yikes here too. But not in Bellevue. I have to imagine it has changed a bit in 20 years. I've only lived here for about 10.
    He's not here - I think I see a pro athlete type in a Bentley etc now and then, most of the exotics here are driven by older men or younger inheritance devilspawn.

When I think of Sir Mix, I think of a black W126 or W140 LWB with period aftermarket wheels.
    That new SanteFe seems to be taking off, seeing quite a few of them lately. Although, I'm not sure about the rest of the Country but up here in N.E. they had a "Freeze the deal" campaign with 269 leases for the first few weeks of January.

Also saw a new 7 series, man does BMW know how to hide large proportions. Very sharp!

Lastly, a 2013 Honda Crosstour and I'm going to go against the grain and say it looked pretty good in sort of a mystic blue with black lower trim and touring wheels. I actually think it looks a smidge better than the new Outback... Then again, this was before the stop at Starbucks so maybe it would be a different story after the morning Caff. :D

Had my 20 yr reunion 2 years ago... :shades:
    The 7 looks so much better than its predecessor. Now it's the 5 series that kinda looks big.

Guy next door drives a Crosstour and I have to look the other way, still hasn't grown on me.
    edited February 2013
    I actually think the 13 Crosstour sounds pretty nice: you get nearly 280 hp, AWD and 28mpg highway along with the new and improved 13 Accord interior and new 6sp AT. Not to mention that its one of the few Hondas that trades well below sticker easily. Yeah, it looks different but I don't think its as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

The current Outback may be more practical, but it isn't any prettier in my eyes.

Friend's parents have a Crosstour - they LOVE it, claim it's the best thing they've ever owned. I guess they mainly see it from the inside.

Local used lot has a 2010 550i GT with a claimed full option load, could probably get it for the price of a Crosstour, if big fastbacks are the thing.
    550 GT is too ungainly for my tastes.

The new 3 series GT is a better execution IMO.

link title

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    edited February 2013
    Local used lot has a 2010 550i GT with a claimed full option load, could probably get it for the price of a Crosstour, if big fastbacks are the thing.

There is a local livery company using 535 X Drive Gran Turismo as an airport car. Bet they got an amazing lease rate.

edit - just found a site for the industry that shows BMW had an incentive of $6,000 below invoice on the 535 X GT for livery services. Up to $11,000 was available on 7 series.
    Looks like...a Crosstour.

There was supposed to be a "sport wagon" 3er variant for NA.
    I can believe it. BMW is big on fleets in Germany, can't see why they wouldn't chase the business here too. I bet you could get even more off a GT, even though they are rare, there aren't enough overmonied types with questionable taste to buy them all.
  • hoosiergrandadhoosiergrandad Member Posts: 96
    Questionable taste: taste not in agreement with ones own...........

Just traded a 2010 crosstour for a 2013, not for its looks (though I don't mind being seen in it), but because it does what I want it to do and does it well.

Whats wrong with fastbacks?
    Oh, I meant the BMW GT - the Crosstour isn't really in bad taste as it doesn't cost 80K, it's just different. Have you seen the BMW GT, or worse, the X6? They aren't exactly pretty.

Fastbacks work when the proportions are right.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2013
    "The Honda Civic Wagon concept, which bears a strong resemblance to the Honda Crosstour, will debut at the 2013 Geneva Auto Show." (link)image
    Needs a panoramic moonroof, then I would check it out.
    Pure vaporware in the US.

edited February 2013
    Yeah, it would really overlap with the Crosstour.

Saw newer Aveo today. Maybe my third in the wild.
    I'm guessing a Civic wagon would be considerably smaller than my 4100 pounder, and probably wouldn't be offered with 4WD.

Fintail, BMW's of WHATEVER stripe are considered by some to be in questionable taste.....my only point was that I didn't think a fastback was any worse than a "3 box" syle. You're welcome to deplore fastbacks.

Disclaimer: I don't automatically assume a Bimmer driver is a jerk.
    edited February 2013
    I'm guessing a Civic wagon would be considerably smaller than my 4100 pounder, and probably wouldn't be offered with 4WD.

Then you'll raise the question of whether it would overlap with the Fit too much. Dunno, could work. Cars are getting pretty nichey. But a wagon in the US?
    I think Honda missed the boat in the last 10 years of not offering a Civic sized hatchback (Insight and Fit doesn't count). Mazda3 basically took over that market, followed by the ugly Matrix and some Elantras and Kias filling in the void.

Surprisingly when I sold Hyundais we had a ton of ex-Honda customers buying Hyundais because a: Honda didn't offer a specific option/body combination they wanted, and b: because Hondas got pricier. Everyone wants more for their buck lately.

edited February 2013
    Lately? :shades:

I've been seeing a few slams against the Matrix around the boards. We really liked the one we tested a few years back. It was the peppier version and I liked the shifting. Now I hear complaints about how they ride and people are saying the manuals don't hold up. Surprising.

Guess they are going away anyway.
    A return of the old Civic 4x4 would be cool, but I guess that's what the ever-larger CR-V has replaced.

Some fastbacks are OK (see Audi), some 3-boxes aren't. I didn't say anything absolutely. But a BMW GT or X6 will never go down as classic designs. Maybe good used buys though. The loaded 3 year old 550i GT sitting on a local lot could easily be picked up for less than half of MSRP, I'd wager.

BMW drivers are usually fine, when the car is in the garage :shades:
    Ugh I'm a style type person so a car's looks are somewhat important. I just think the new Matrix is ugly with squared off and round lines erverywhere, no real theme or specific style to it. And the Prius C is even uglier in my opinion. Just an oddball car. I know for most people it's a reliable appliance but I just think they're gross. :lemon:

It's what's inside that counts. :)
    Expanding on the Crosstour a little further, I've read lots of comments about how the TSX wagon is a much smarter buy than the Crosstour. I'm not so sure. Bear in mind that the TSX Tech and the Crosstour EXL 4wd are within about $1k of each other and both have Navi:

TSX pros-
    More overall cargo volume
    Slightly better over all mileage (22/30)
    Better warranty
    Likely sportier handling (haven't driven one)
    Real roof rails (hey, I'm a skier)
    Lighter

TSX cons-
    4cyl/5AT combo only - 200hp
    Rear shock tower housing eats up a lot of cargo space
    Fwd only

Crosstour pros-
    V6 is meatier and comes with the new 6AT- 278hp and actual torque
    AWD
    New 13 Accord tech like hondalink & apps, blind spot camera, forward collision and lane departure warning integrated in crosstour / not avail on TSX
    More rear legroom

Crosstour cons-
    Less MPG (19/28 for V6 AWD)
    Less warranty
    Less total cargo volume
    NO roof rails
    Heavier

To me, a loss of 2mpg would be worth the extra power, torque and awd. And actually, I think the power/MPG ratio is pretty respectable on the xtour. The overall cargo volume is less obviously due to the sloping back, but given that the length and width of the cargo area are pretty similar, I don't know if most people would be losing a lot in the real world.

The other competitors here I suppose are the Outback and Venza: Outback is more practical, better awd system, similar price in LTD H6 form, but has a cheaper interior quality, less power and mpg, and less interior tech. The Venza has the power and space, but also has a cheaper interior quality, less MPG and forces you into those stupid 19 and 20" wheels.

Anyhow, I guess I'm saying I'm not seeing the worldwide Crosstour hate. Your mileage may vary...

Couldn't have said it better myself.........and when comparing 2012 vs 2013 Crosstours, its like comparing 2012 vs 2013 Accords.
    I think Honda missed the boat in the last 10 years of not offering a Civic sized hatchback (Insight and Fit doesn't count)

I'd test drive one if they had it.

Fit's gas tank is puny, otherwise I'd at least consider it. 10.6 gallons vs the Mazda3's 14.5 gallon tank. The Mazda will go a lot farther per tankful.
    I like the Prius C. It's supposed to be an oddball. They should all come in that traffic cone orange color.

They put the battery under the rear seats and that squeezes fuel capacity, thus limiting range.

Good city car, anyway.
    edited February 2013
    Rear shock tower housing eats up a lot of cargo space

Isn't that the case with the Crosstour also?

I measured the width of the cargo area and it's very weak in that area, in fact the Outback was a full *foot* wider there.

You expect an inch or two, sure, but a foot?
    Those shock towers are a problem IF you need the space.If you do , you won't get a Crosstour. They don't bother me ( I have 3 trucks if I need to haul much)
    but wouldn't do for some. I think of my CT as a large 4WD hatchback sedan.........a fairly unique design that suits me, but apparently not too many others.
    I like the CT but the kids will veto it due to the small back seat.

People don't realize it's not a Prius clone, it's actually a lot smaller.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I like the CT but the kids will veto it due to the small back seat.

When they add value to the equation, then they get a vote.