Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today!

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Well, I won't let them choose what car I get, but I do take the family along to see how they like it.

Did I tell you, they liked the Prius V (back seat roomy, reclines, awesome panoramic moonroof) and the Jeep Wrangler TWO door (cool factor). I can't think of two cars that are more opposite.

Plus both are too big and not really city cars, not at all what I'm looking for.
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    10 gallons, ha, that's a smaller tank than my 04 Echo hatchback daily driver. :surprise:

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    CT200h...these too spendy for your search? I like the look of them; see them around here, but not as much as the A3.

Sidenote: Audi says they are killing the A3 hatch for slow sales in the US. If true, the ones they do sell must be mostly to the bay area...I see them everywhere. There are 4 on my street alone.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

A ton of them in Vancouver as well. I wonder if the A3 will be pulled here too.

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Sidenote: Audi says they are killing the A3 hatch for slow sales in the US.

True - the A3 sedan will be the new base for Audi.

Remember, Americans like their luxury models - even the entry level ones - to have a trunk. There will be an A3 wagon but not for us.
    Remember, Americans like their luxury models - even the entry level ones - to have a trunk.

Except in SF, apparently. The rest of the US sees the bay area as communist, anyhow. And they're probably right when it comes to Berkeley.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    Plenty of A3s around Seattle, too. Even diesels.
    Except in SF, apparently. The rest of the US sees the bay area as communist, anyhow. And they're probably right when it comes to Berkeley.

Well we here in Boston are a pretty deep shade of blue as well.....
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Speaking of blue, how come it's tough to find a nice blue these days unlike a few decades back? Most every blue car I see is either dark ink blue, or light silver blue. How about a nice medium blue with a ivory, beige or saddle interior?
    I love the "quartz blue" offered on C and E class from 2010-2012. Sadly, it's gone now :sick:

• anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    edited February 2013
    I saw that exact combo a few weeks ago. That color looks fantastic on the E.
    There's what I can afford, and what I want to spend...about $20k or so.

I'm a cheap skate, but I'll stretch the budget if I find a strong value. I'm considering recent used cars as well.

Will share more in CCB.
    If I could find a bluetec with a light interior, pano, P2, I'd be very tempted to go for it. It's pretty rare even for gas - kind of a Florida color. Goes well with my old car.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,369
    edited February 2013
    I saw my first Caddy XTS outside of a car show today, it was the same metallic red that shows up in their ads. Nice looking car but too big IMO for a FWD sedan
    (AWD is optional).

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

That's what I'm talking about! There are really very few nice looking blues today and when you find one, it is often on a luxury car. That wasn't the case a few decades ago. GM in particular had a lot of very nice blue hues back then. Why not today?
    I saw one on the road about a month ago. Agree with you it's an odd duck to be FWD in such a large car. The Deville/DTS it replaced, which was also fwd had better proportions.

Just look at Acura and their dismal sales of the RL, partially because it's a bland FWD based V6 "premium luxury sedan"

And MB dropped it. I think they still have a dark blue (no thanks, hard to maintain), and a silver that kind of has a blue tint to it. But that quartz blue was cool, like a modern version of my fintail.

There is a color called "universe blue" offered on the upcoming CLA that might have potential.

On the car front, saw a new Accord today, in traffic behind a 96-97 Accord. Reminiscent of a new Accord with a Crosstour behind it, my how they have grown.

Also had a current style A4 in front of me in traffic today, it was smoking like an 80s MB diesel (not a plume, but definite emissions off the line). I wonder what was wrong.
    BMW used to have a gazillion shades of blue, my '00 5er is Steel Blue (Stahl Blau)
    which used to be on about every third Bimmer.

They also had LeMans Blue, Topaz Blue, Estoril Blue, Laguna Seca Blue, Montego Blue Avus Blue, Fjord Blue and many more. Sadly they now only offer Deep Sea Blue (dark blue) or Water Blue (light blue) for most models. Like everyone else they now offer four shades of grey or silver, black, white and red.

Why not today?

According to one article I found:

White, black and silver are "tech" colors - those colors are sleek and modern.

Boredom - since people keep their cars longers, that flashy teal might be nice today but not so much in 7 years.

Resale - who's going to want to buy that orange car you had to have 6 years ago?

Vibrant colors do better in Asia while the basics listed above are popular in North America and Europe even more.
    It's made the palette so dull, though. There are hardly any colors out there.

I wouldn't mind a red or yellow car next time, if it's the right model for a flashy color. I'm kind of tired of blues.
    There are hardly any colors out there

I would agree. When I spot a 1950s car in traffic it's the color(s) that stand out as much as the chrome or the fins.

I love the light pastels from the 50s. They had personality.

Now it's like this:

White
    off white
    gray
    light gray
    dark gray
    tungsten gray
    light tungsten gray
    semi-light but not that dark gray gray
    silver
    black
    edited February 2013
    MB must have a dozen greys and silvers. I think Toyota has 50 shades of beige :shades:

It's pretty bad that the return of brown was actually kind of exciting, as it was different.

Oh, saw a "sport" variant new Santa Fe. Not offensive, not sure what the point of the window in the C-pillar is for - too small and high for visibility, just to let in light I guess. Must be a monster for a small person to maneuver in a garage.
    Buick had a nice brown with the Enclave, with Bronze mixed in for depth.
    Here's Audi's colors:

:D

They should get a little more playful with the new A3.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,254
    They have one thing in common, both really noisy.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...white Chevrolet Sonic turning left onto Tabor Avenue near Cheltenham in NE Philly.
    Not much of an issue with my 20mph average speed (26mph moving average).

Wonder how the C-Max noise levels compare?

I think C&D measures road noise for comparos, I'll do a quick search...
    Looks like C&D hasn't compared them yet, I imagine that's coming.

Detroit Free Press (as pro-Domestic as they get) complained about noise on the C-Max also:

http://www.freep.com/article/20121220/COL14/312200068/Ford-C-Max-hybrid-excels-i- n-affordability-roominess-and-fuel-economy

Both out of my target price range for now, low 30s for Ford and mid 30s for the V loaded up. I don't think Ford's moonroof is the panoramic kind, plus the fam hated the back seat (and they're right about that).

Too bad, I prefer the shorter overall length and is has a bigger gas tank for great range.

Ted Britt Ford is advertising $4000 off, so a loaded $32k one would be $28k. Definitely better priced.
    Oh, saw a "sport" variant new Santa Fe.

No sure how it is in the states but here in Canada all of the current Santa Fes are called Sport. When the longer wheelbase 7 seater comes out it will be called just a Santa Fe. The Sport badge is meant to indicate it's a shorty 5 seater.

They're actually very nice cars, and fully loaded they top out at $40k, about $3k more than a loaded Tucson here. I think it's well worth the extra 3 grand over a Tucson but if I were in the market for a SUV I'd have a hard time justifying $40k for a Hyundai SUV even though it's absolutely loaded.

They up-sized it, seems more like a Ford Edge competitor now, vs. the old one competing with the Ford Escape.
    The old one was an odd size. Since most people compared them to Hondas too, it was sized in between a CRV and a Pilot.

Wasn't there a (tiny) 3rd row option?

Kinda silly to see them on such smallish crossovers. At least they came to their senses and only the LWB model seats 7 now.
    edited February 2013
    In Canada they offered the 3rd row only in 2008 iirc. Then it got discontinued.

They'll offer it on the longer SF now because the Veracruz is discontinued and I guess it's cheaper to make an extended SF rather than a completely new larger model.

Yeah, the Veracruz is being phased out. It was rather invisible anyway.

I sat in one a while back and it was really comfortable, but didn't stand out and the powertrain was dated. The LWB Sante Fe is getting a DI V6 and modern trans.
    That's how it works here too, bigger one isn't the sport. Haven't seen one of those yet, or maybe have and ignored it.

Soon these things will need side and front view cameras, too. And you know how I think, for 40K I'd rather buy a highline model with CPO or aftermarket warranty, and enjoy it.
    Yeah well here for $40k you'll get a 4 year old X5 or ML, a new loaded VW Tiguan (they're very steeply priced) or a 2-3 year old bland Lexus RX.

What I like about the top Santa Fe is that it has a lot of premium features like rear sunshades built into the doors, rear heated seats, front cooled and heated seats, nav, backup camera, front and back parking sensors, pano roof, keyless go, driver selectable steering etc.... I might have missed a few. I don't mean to sound like a brochure but I am impressed with the level of equipment in these. But, and it's a big but, the 2.0L T although producing 280-something HP, I don't think it's as torquey or suitable for towing as the old V6 was, even though most people never towed anything.

That RX is probably what the average buyer of one really wants, esp if they are a certain gender.

I built my own Santa Fe Sport - loaded was 35K, which is probably quite a value - although the US site didn't mention the shades, steering, sensors, etc. I too wonder about that displacement for something that size, it'll be working pretty hard even if it has raw hp.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,254
    edited February 2013
    In addition to wind and road noise, the V engine in load and coarse, too.
    It felt like literally a 10 year old car with new technology transplanted into it.
    It is roomy and pretty efficient, though.
    Spotted a new Fiat 500 in the parking lot at work
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    The Limited Sport Tech Pkg adds those. I forgot that it has the heated steering wheel as well.

On a side note whenever I play around with US car websites and they require me to input a zip code I always do 90210 as I don't know of any other US zip code. I wonder when they check their site stats if they have a disproportionate number hits that they think are from Beverly Hills. :P

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    lol, could be. I do that a lot too.
    Oh yeah, I see that on the Limited. 37K USD. A far cry from the ugly lumpy Santa Fe of 10 years ago.

Canadian sites don't ask for a postcode, do they. Funny. I know German sites don't. The sales pitch must be higher pressure in the US.
    Canadian sites do ask for it. I guess it's mainly for tracking traffic and sometimes frieght/pdi charges and regional offers vary across the country.

The C-Max has a 2l engine and more combined power. Real world mileage is high 30s, but the fuel tank is bigger so I was OK with that. The kids were not OK with the rear seat, unfortunately. :(

I also want a small car and the C-Max is shorter than the regular Prius (much shorter than the V).

Still bumming about that.
    2014 Transit Connect. Will have optional pano roof. The short wheelbase model is only 174 inches long - the same as the C-Max.

Okay, I know this isn't what you are looking for. I'm just projecting...I really like the looks of the new Ford Vanlet. Its looking like a CCB year.

edited February 2013
    Those are cool but the family found them repulsive looking and refused to even check it out. It was closed anyway at the DC show.

Toyota was next to Ford this year. Funny, because upstairs had been the domestic area, while the imports were in the basement. I guess Toyotas are mostly made here and they race in NASCAR so they moved.

For my family that meant we compared the C-max and Prius V back to back.

In the Prius family I like the C best (fuel misers should be small and light), then the V (pano), then the regular Prius last.

They didn't like the 3 SkyActiv either.
    I've been looking at 2003 crossovers. One thing I noticed is that the latest Detroit offerings generally have much nicer interiors than the Asians. The latter are often just a sea of blah grey or black plastic, sometimes shiny, and they tend to look cheap. Hopefully the 2014 Highlander and Pilot will address this because neither is very attractive inside to me at least. Another weird thing, the new Traverse seemed to have better, more comfortable seats than the Enclave despite costing quite a bit less. The Buick had short seat bottoms in comparison - maybe because older people shrink as they age?
    Our friends have a new Durango. The interior is super nice in it and they used to have an X5, MDX, and a Mercedes GL before it.

Dodge has really nice interiors as of lately.

My cousin has a new Durango, I drove it once. Very nice rig, good fit and finish.

Saw another Santa Fe Sport today - no plates. And a new style Audi TT smoking like the A4 I saw yesterday. VWAG 4 cylinder engine goodness.