Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today!

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    edited September 2013
    Under 100K, room for 4 (ok, not particularly roomy), decent ride - 3er, E, A5 cabrios come to mind, with the MB being roomiest and most expensive.

Speaking of new cars, I was at the free dealer operated car wash today, and a guy in a black 2014 E350 talked to me about drying the car off after it is washed (even though it has driers, I pull over and do detail work after it is washed).
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    "3er, E, A5 cabrios come to mind"

Yes, all pretty tight for several 6+ footers. All about identical, according to MS autos:
    http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/interior.aspx?c=0&i=0&tb=0&ph1=t0&ph2=t0&d- t=0&v=t116256&v=t116280&v=t115812&v=t117296

I guess that's because the E cab/coupe are based more off the C sedan chassis.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Walking through a full parking lot this morning, my wife exclaims with disgust, "What is that?"

You guessed it.. Murano with the top down. It truly is hideous.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    On Friday I came up on an S-class with badging "CSS 500"... Did some searching and it's some sort of "performance" Arm for Merc?

It was an older model, maybe early 2000's and this car was immaculate. I've seen a few big Mercs from this generation that have a good amount of cancer around the lower rockers, door trim and wheel wells but this one looked like it rolled off the showroom floor.

Also another blast from the past that looked like it had just rolled off the showroom floor, an 87' - 88' Honda CRX Si. That was a sight to see as I remember how popular they were back when I was in high school...

Then there were floods of new RAV4's, a few Model S cars, A sexy new Boxster and a hopped up Porsche Panamera.
    Never heard of a 'CSS' - what did you find out about it? I didn't find anything.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    Did the badge look like it may have been altered? Is it possible that someone added the "CS" to an S 500 badge? Maybe his or her initials? I have never heard of a CSS either.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    CSS is a Benz tuning operation in Europe--could it be? But it's not factory authorized or anything like that.
    That sounds more probable.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

edited September 2013
    My apologies leaving that post hanging, I didn't have much time to respond yesterday.

It looks like "CSS" is a performance company that soups up Benzes as well as other makes such as BMW. I guess it's not really a sighting rather, a One-Off "Tuned" model. Oh well...

https://www.google.com/#q="css+performance"+MERCEDES

http://www.chiptuning-files.net/VehicleList/vehiclelist.html
    edited September 2013
    Yeah no such car as a CSS and I am unaware of any tuner using those letters. Odd that it might be a car with a mere chip tune, but maybe the owner is proud. Closest thing to me is a CLS500, which would be a MY 2006 only vehicle.

Saw a truckload of new Touaregs being delivered to a rental car lot today.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,255
    They take their lunch hour very seriously. Don't contact them between 12 and 1 pm.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    New Infiniti "Q50" which IMO should remain the G37 but still...

Great looking car, especially in white.

My neighbor who is a contractor bought a runabout to offset his fuel costs of his Chevy 2500 pickup. Loaded Toyota Yaris...

Lastly, a sexy SLS hardtop in Silver.
    Saw a 2014 E-class and a GL63 AMG
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    an F type. On the road (GSP outside NYC). Red with the top down. SOunded real nice pulling out of the toll booth in front of me. it was an S type per the badge. Had vehicle manufacturer tags.

It was sharp. I would be very happy to have one. as long as I don't have to pay for it!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Very nice. I have yet to hear one in person myself.

Not sure how many folks here watch a TV show called "Covert Affairs" (Excellent show btw) but this season has introduced a character who happens to drive one and you can tell by some of the action shots that Jag is a sponser. Every now and then they give a gratuitous minute or so of just various camera angles as it's driving along, including some nice amplified engine sounds :)

If there was one car I would replace my beloved S2000 with, it would be that one.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,369
    I got my first good look at the new Jaguar XJ, in fact I've seen the same black sedan several times and it's quite spectacular IMO. It's almost enough to make you forget what Dick Van Dykes's XJ ended up looking like>

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

I saw one of those the other day, but in pre charcoal'ed condition.
    Must be an Italian built model.

Saw an RL-X today - so they've sold at least 2 now. Also another (!) GL63, and an X5-M driven in an expectedly douchebaggy manner (dopey illegal u-turn on a busy street).
    I saw one of those the other day, but in pre charcoal'ed condition.

I never read anything about what caused DvD's XJ to flambé. Does anyone know?

Diagnosis: Murder

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    Actually saw a Mitsu i-miev in the wild! It was even on my street. Too bad I wasn't in the Leaf at the time. 2 e-cars on the same street in the boonies of NJ has to be like alignment-of-the-planets rare.

This morn, spotted a new Infiniti JX with temp tag. Not bad looking. Reminds me alot of Lexus, though. Like an enlarged RX330.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...but it's certainly unusual! I spotted a white Chrysler 300-C somebody converted into a 4-door convertible! Unfortunately, it was spoiled by a roll-bar looking device at the B-pillar.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    the roll bar was probably to hold the body together.
    Fairly new... parked in front of my house.. No idea whose car it was, or who they were visiting.. This is Mercedes' version of an M3 (sort of)

White with a black roof (carbon fiber or transparent.. .didn't really take time to look)

Sharp, though!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    the Impala was out on the road, and I think the first I have noticed in the wild.

Fusion not new, but I got to check out the sticker (it was in my neighbors driveway, and is a demo since he is a Ford salesman). Not bad looking. It was an SE. nicely equipped, with basically everything I needed (power drivers seat, moonroof, XM, alloys). Sticker was about 27.5K. This was a 1.5l model (odd, I thought the small engine was 1.5l).

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

The largest engine, NA 2.5 is base, 1.5(2014) and 2.0 turbo engines are upgrades.
    Saw a new MDX with the zillion lights - looks bigger than the previous model.
    Audi SQ5, there's some great sounds coming out of that one, and man did that thing move.

Fiat 500L - "The Italians are coming!"

More than a dozen new MDX's

Audi R8 Cabrio in white - Gorgeous

Couple of refreshed Volvo S60's with the new nose and flashy wheels. Classy looking car...

New BMW M6 - Sounds like the Forth of July if you are lucky to hear one at WOT...

(2) new Infiniti Q50's, both silver

A couple of new Lexus IS which the online pictures do ZERO Justice to, they look really slick in person. Best looing in the class, followed by the Q50 and new 3-series IMO

Mini Paceman, 2-door AWD

Tons of new Subaru Foresters, and a few of the revamped Outbacks with the proper round foglights out front.
    but still a crazy sight:

"Gentleman's express" Mercedes Benz S-klasse, V12. Only this one was flat, and I mean like Charcoal black, with black lettering, black anodized wheels and exhaust tips. This one also had full LED lighting at the front and rear, and those custom Quad pipes out the back made wonderful noise.
    Stopped by the local MB dealer to ask about the E250 - they didn't know when any were coming in. They did say CLA will be in on Wednesday, but all are spoken for. New S is due in November. Saw a GLK250 Bluetec on the lot, being inspected closely by a middle aged couple. There was a nice E63 on the floor, loaded, 116K MSRP.
    One Black and one in a salsa red color which was probably the best one I've liked so far.

I do wish they offered a manual with the AWD like Audi and BMW do. Or even the Acura TL...
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Blue color seems to be popular. Saw one without tinted windows, and then one with tinted windows 5 minutes later.

Seems to have jumped out of the gate pretty fast.
    Actually started seeing a few new Corollas, one of them was an "S" model in white which IMO, actually looked pretty good! Maybe a touch better than the new Civic, but still no Mazda 3 :)

Also saw a new Accord hybrid, the subtle touches made it noticeable from the dozens of Sports and other models in the lineup.

Spent the day in Boston yesterday to watch the Pats take down Atlanta. Counted 13 new Tesla's on the 120 mile roundtrip! Becoming a common sight around the suburbs. Also met some friend in town from San Fran who got a new Impala as a rental for the week. Jet Black, 4-cylinder, actually had leather interior and a moonroof, base 16? wheels/rims... 3200 miles on the clock and the rear window was already broken and a nice puff of blue smoke upon startup... Yay quality...

It was a rental so can't judge the thing just yet...

This morning a loaded black Q50 passed me on the highway doing about 90. Man does that thing look good. Also another Accord hybrid and another Audi SQ5.

Don't know what made the weekend better, the Pats being 4-0 or Eli going 0-4 :)
    Accord is funny - Sport looks great, but the plug-in model is hideous. Have yet to see the hybrid (which falls in the middle, I suppose) in the flesh.

I like the Q50 also, and I see lots of them because there's an Infiniti dealer about 2 miles away. I see them daily.
    Saw a 4 door Fiat 500 today, and a big sighting, a 2014 S-Class, on the road no less.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...black Volkswagen CC in the Auto Zone parking lot near Oxford and Bleigh in NE Philly. I've also been seeing a lot of the latest generation Nissan Altimas with the "Pure Drive."
    I always felt like getting rid of Maybach would let Benz be all it could be. Look how sweet they look now...
    Still have not grown on me, wow these are just painful to look at.

The trunk looks like it needs to be about 2 feet longer to look acceptable.
    edited October 2013
    The new S does seem to be 80% of a Maybach for 30% the cost. It was an odd experiment.

5er GT...I wonder if most we see are 2010 models, can't imagine they sell many now that they aren't a novelty.
    I wonder how many Altimas are rentals - seems half the rental cars on the road here are Nissans.
    Saw a red CLA in traffic today. Looked small.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I think that's been true for awhile. Nissan's at the majors, but Chrysler 200 / Avenger's at the cheapies. Ironically, around here at least, it seems like Nissan dealers offer some of the crappiest deals. Doesn't make sense to me to push rental cars over retail sales, nor why one would pay more for comparable Altima versus so many other nice alternatives.
    Altima is interesting - in certain colors is looks awful, but in other colors it works. There are some odd creases in that design.

Then again they got a 38mpg highway rating so I'm sure form followed function.
    "There are some odd creases in that design. "

Nissan and Infiniti are leading the way with 'odd creases' in lots of their designs. BMW's not far behind...
    But in some colors is looks totally fine, even attractive. So strange.

Nissan is hit or miss in terms of design. I like the Versa Note, but not the sedan (at all). The Juke is ugly but the Cube is unique. I don't like the Rogue or Murano much, but the Pathfinder works. Max and Sentra also seem fine.

Not a whole lot of family resemblance except maybe the big sedans.
    The new Sentra seems to be what the Altima was 20 years ago.

And the Altima...maybe a 21st century Cutlass Ciera.

Pathfinder would be fine as a smaller minivan and a suitable name.
    Sentra's back seat is HUGE. It really stands out. Significantly roomier than the Malibu, which is supposed to be one size up.

I haven't driven one but reviews are really disappointing, no one seems to like the way it drives.

Altima is more well liked. Big fuel tank + 38mpg = range of a diesel without the cost.

I'd be more interested in a Versa Note if they put a decent powertrain in that thing. Maybe a bigger fuel tank, as well.

Pathfinder sales are through the roof. They should just have given it a different name. Sure looks better than the bolt-upright Quest!
    I'd still lean towards Accord vs Altima, simply for aesthetics.

Most Quest and many new Pathfinder I see in my area have a rental barcode. The latter could be renamed the Mallfinder, for its demographic and off road prowess. Funny how it changed from a competent enough, if old looking, small SUV.
    Same, I like the Genesis (you probably know that) and the Accord reminds me of the Genesis.

Honda's packaging is also a little better, base Altimas come with cheap wheel covers, and no backup cam either. Add that stuff and the Accord's a better value.

Pathfinder seems to change every generation, radically so. From unibody to body on frame, and back. More than once. What does the name stand for? It has an identity crisis.

No one bought the truck, and people line up for the psuedo-minivan. A neighbor bought one to replace an MDX. They used to complain about premium fuel cost so I'm sure fuel costs were a major factor.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    " MDX. They used to complain about premium fuel cost "

I understand the 2014 MDX still does even though the latter Lexus RX crossovers don't. I don't understand that logic at Honda. Around here at least, premium is almost 50 cents/gallon higher. But then I'm a bit leery even on the Pilot because there seem to still be issues with the V6 engine cylinder deactivation system and consuming oil.