Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today!

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    big debate on the RDX forums. I have used regular and could not tell the difference. it is not required now, just recommended.

I think it is a marketing deal as much as anything (luxury cars are supposed to use premium, right?)

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    My ES300 'recommended' premium, even though it had the identical engine as the V6 Camry, which recommended regular. Same for the RX and the Highlander. I used regular, never had a problem.

With Acura there area some differences between their engines and the Honda versions, aren't there?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    minimal at best I think. and if there are, probably at the upper range of the tach where I never usually go!

if the CR is the same on the Accord and RDX (I think they share the engine) than I really doubt it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    Take the Pilot and MDX:
    Pilot's 3.5 l puts out 250 hp, 10.5:1 CR
    MDX's 3.7 l puts out 300 hp, 11.2:1 CR

So there's a basic difference for those two.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,095
    I'd like a revised Genesis more - the current one is getting long in the tooth. The Accord is similar, lots of BMW hints in their styling. Oh those designers. Accord is probably the best value in its class right now, a mainstream car I'd actually consider.

Pathfinders traditionally have been very old when finally changed, no surprise sales were weak. Now it's another glorified minivan pretending to be butch...perfect for these times, I guess.

For something like a RDX. premium might be recommended, but that's not a performance engine. It'll do fine with regular, maybe put the good stuff in on a rare day for fun. For a tuned or high output engine, then go for premium.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Saw a new '14 Corolla on the road today in white...meh, pretty plain Jane folks especially in white...think we'll pass. Got to drive some interesting rentals a few days ago. A new Pathfinder but the tranny was screwy and I had to take it back to the dealer for Sixt...when it got up to 40 and I let off the gas pedal, it shook and shaked violently, a real nasty drive so it was sent back for a look see at the cvt. Drove a black ML350 to the dealer for an oil change and wow, what a vehicle...just awesome. Then I had a Bug going back to the dealer for some work and it wasn't that bad actually.

Had eye surgery on Wednesday but going back to work tomorrow...I won't have to wear glasses anymore for my myopia...it is gone as is the astigmatism. Took a couple days off to recuperate.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Good luck with getting a good car.

I think I will just mention the oddballs at the Avis/Budget I pass by most days. Today they had a Prius, maybe not usual away from the west coast.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Sounds like you drove the Pathfinder that hadn't undergone the recall for bad torque converters.

https://www.google.com/#q=NISSAN+TORQUE+CONVERTER+RECALL+PATHFINDER

My neighbor bought one of the first new Pathy's and had theirs replaced under a TSB before the actual recall was announced. Since then, she says the thing drives like a dream and hasn't had an issue since (Something like only 7000 miles but still).
    Speaking of the ML, the current design is kinda old isn't it? I think they have tweaked the styling and features over the years, but the current one dates to something like 2009 IIRC. I have seen quite a few of the new ones tho, easily identifiable with the rear chrome treatment on the lower bumper...

Ironically, I work with a gentleman who is still driving a 98' ML350 with something like 300k on it. It's needed a bunch of different things over the years and it's got some rust on various sections of the body but he says the overall vehicle is a tank and he won't get rid of it "till it stops moving under it's own power"...
  • ohenryxohenryx Member Posts: 285
    On my commute this morning, I spotted something rather unique. It took me a few looks to figure out just what I was looking at. A Volvo S60, lowered, with rubber band tires. Very strange looking. Very.
    edited October 2013
    The current ML is MY 2012+, but it does kind of resemble the 06-11 style.

Those early models were troublesome, I bet many electrical components have been replaced.
    edited October 2013
    You might have seen an "R-design" model, noticeable by the rear ducts under the bumper and the more aggressive wheels and tires.

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/201303/volvo-s60-r-design-1_600x0w.jpg

I find these, (as well as the XC60) to be some of the sexiest cars in their respective class, a smidge moreso than the new Infiniti Q and way more than 3-series. I drove one back in 2012 and despite being a front-biased driver, the thing was an absolute hoot to drive and stupid quick... Would have bought one had the wagon (V60 next year) had been available at the time...
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    It's all new but but you can hardly tell by just looking at it.

I test drove the old one when it first came out. M-B had an event at FedEx Field. I have to figure out why they dropped me off their mailing list, because I didn't get an invite for the new launch. LOL

Did it get the new, smaller diesel? May be better to keep the big one since those might actually haul/tow a little.
    ML is still the V6, probably for like you mention, potential heavy duty use. GLK is the 250.
    edited October 2013
    Makes sense.

The ML looks a lot better than the GLK to my eyes, but I'm not shopping for either, really.

$44k plus per cargurus for the GLK250 diesel .... I'd either spend more and get the ML or spend a lot less and get a different box.

Speak of the devil - here's AB on the next one:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/04/mercedes-benz-glk-spy-shots/
    Base GLK250 Bluetec is 38K. A comparably equipped ML (to a 45K GLK) will probably be 55-60K. Of course, these prices are negotiable. And of course, everything is optional.

Not my cup of tea either...if I had the money, I'd just go all in and get a GL Bluetec, but that'll be much pricier and much more posh. Or privately import an old G and not pretend.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Congrats on the eye surgery. Note that if your DL shows you have glasses you may want to get it updated. Wouldn't want an LEO questioning your vision should you be involved in an accident.

(My wife had eye surgery in 2002 and never regretted it once.)
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    Funny, the wife mentioned this to me when she came home yesterday. Hopefully they will not make me take the eye test again and pay another fee as mine is valid till November of 2018. I will give it some time to make sure I heal properly and will wait till the eye doctor tests me to make sure that I am perfectly fine.

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

You are probably right here but it was really a nasty drive back to Nissan and I would be a very angry customer if it were my vehicle! A new vehicle should not act like this as Nissan has used CVT's for awhile now and the bugs should have been gone long ago. Just look at the new Accord...no complaints that I've heard about their CVT tranny but maybe they have just handled any problems with minimal reporting to the auto press. Either way, I'd hope Nissan would've compensated folks with a couple of free oil changes or something for the hassle of going through this ordeal...give the customer something of value to make up for this weird experience!

The Sandman

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    When I had mine done, the doc gave me a wallet card. Didn't bother sticking it in the glove box, but I did get the restriction removed the next license renewal.

Saw some new Fords on a small dealer lot the other day (while my wife was at the eye doc), but just some trucks and SUVs (Edges, mostly). Nothing in the wild.
    Stopped by the MB dealer today, because I spotted a new S-Class. I got to sit in it. It's pretty impressive - like a mini-Maybach in a way, especially the rear seating, which is pretty decadent. This one was a corporate demo with no sticker - so I couldn't get the full option list - but I could see it had pano, distronic, sport, AMG wheels, fancy stereo, and the rear seating might be part of a package too. MSRP on this one supposed to be ~120K. Also saw someone taking delivery of a red CLA. Dealer has some E250s on their website, but none on the lot.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Saw a matte gray one parked outside of a CVS north of Boston. NH plates.

At least I thought it was an SL. MB has come out with so many models, I can't keep the alphabet soup they've made straight anymore.
    Have seen a few of them this past weekend and think white makes the vehicle look very plain yet the red is outstanding as well as the gray color. Also saw a new CLA but was totally underwhelmed, guess I still think the C Class is the nicest one of them all. Don't get me wrong, I'd drive one in a second but I'd prefer the C if I did have a choice. But doubt that will ever happen since I don't think I could, or would spend that much on a vehicle. I think $20k or a little above would be the highest I would ever spend on a depreciating asset. But one never knows what could happen in the right situation...all I do know is that I am going a bit more lux with the next vehicle no matter what. We even discussed that today over lunch and I got no resistance what so ever except that whatever I do end up getting, the wife will be able to drive it when she wants to so I kinda said...o k. Since we have different driving styles, I am a bit hesitant to let her drive my Civic as that constant on and off the gas pedal just drives me nuts and wastes so much petrol...I prefer a constant pressure with my right foot at all times and a smoother drive at all times. But I've always disliked whenever someone, even the kids, drove my vehicle as I like things a certain way and hate when things are "changed". I even hate it when someone looks into my closet or drawers without me being around...a personal flaw I know but I am a bit protective of my stuff.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    edited October 2013
    Can you get an S-Class as lavish as the old Maybach, i.e. reclining rear seats, window curtains, etc.?
    edited October 2013
    There is going to be a special LWB and Pullman version of the new S-class that will pretty much be like a Maybach for half the 2004 MSRP. The car I looked at had rear bucket style seats that reclined.
    Saw a couple new Fiat Ducato-based Dodge vans this morning, along with a 2014 Mazda 3 (I don't think it's pretty).
    Really? I think it's the closest we'll get to an Alfa hatchback here. The sedan isn't as good, though.
    Friend's dad has been having health issues and could no longer climb in and out of a Boxster, so he sold it and got...an Acura RDX.

I will have to hit him up for a ride once he's feeling better.
    Yeah, I saw a sedan. Meh. The hatch has always been the best 3.
    Saw a RL-X (so they've sold 3 now) and a CLA with aftermarket wheels, that was quick.
    and a CLA with aftermarket wheels, that was quick

Well since they probably leased the car they might be doing rent to own on the rims.
    I don't know if the highline lease crowd is the same as the rent-a-rim crowd, at least in my part of the country. Even a lease on one of these is probably going to be too dear for that demographic. They might be cheap Chinese wheels of debatable metallurgic quality, however.
    edited October 2013
    I don't know if the highline lease crowd is the same as the rent-a-rim crowd, at least in my part of the country.

It's a CLA not a CLS.

The driver is probably a $30K millionaire living in his parent's basement financing $15 martinis on his Green Card.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Did a walk around on a 2014 Impala this AM. I dunno..nothing earth-shattering here...it sort of says to me: "Oh, GM finally gets it and is making cars that look like they were built in 2014".
    edited October 2013
    And a 35K car (as most will be) is still above average, and out of reach for the majority of buyers. At that level it is really no different than the classic base C/3er/A4/IS/G etc that has been a lease favorite for eons. It just has more flash.

You still need good credit and some cash flow to lease - not as easy for youngsters as it once was. Unless mom and dad sign for it or something.
    edited October 2013
    Compared to the previous one, which was a mediocre at best 2006 car still being made in 2013, it's a leap forward.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    yeah, it does look up to date. I didn't drive it, though, because the salesman was hovering over me like a yellowjacket on a piece of chicken. Very annoying. The man was hun-GRY.
    The cars change, the tactics don't. In an area like SF, I have to imagine such a car is a slow seller, so anyone showing interest will be pounced upon.
    Just read a consumer review today where the dealer "lost" the customer's car keys.

And yet, after a five hour ordeal, the customer still purchased a car from them. Just makes me shake my head. That trick must be as old as me.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    That's why you always bring a spare set of keys.
    You still need good credit and some cash flow to lease - not as easy for youngsters as it once was. Unless mom and dad sign for it or something.

One doesn't need that much cash flow to be approved for a $349 lease - especially if they are living at home.

I know you are partial to MB and probably dislike the idea of MB reaching out to the bourgeois.

:)
    edited October 2013
    You'll also need a few grand up front, some kind of income, and good credit. In this devolved economy, those all exclude a lot of people.

It's nothing new, I do find it funny that someone is trying to denigrate the car or its customer base when it is a segment that has existed since boomers started weaseling their way up and ran to 3ers and 190s 30 years ago.

:P
    I can believe it. And that gets me too - dealer treats you like crap, and you buy from them anyway? WTH?
    It's nothing new, I do find it funny that someone is trying to denigrate the car or its customer base when it is a segment that has existed since boomers started weaseling their way up and ran to 3ers and 190s 30 years ago.

I just had to with your remark about the "highline lease customer base." You and I both know that the CLA is being offered in order to bring less affluent buyers into the brand. There's nothing highline about the CLA, S3, forthcoming 1 series and IS250.

Now those 3's and 190's from 30 years ago - those were highline.
    That's why you always bring a spare set of keys.

Have you priced replacement keys and fobs lately?

What you bring is your cell phone, and then you call the cops. You might be talking grand theft in some states. :-)
    Nothing highline about a base C/A4/3er/IS, etc either. This is nothing new, and real world pricing will be the same as an existing base C. MB is desperate for the illusion of youth, and this will do the trick. Seeing as the car has been a virtual sellout so far, it looks like the plan is working as intended.

Those basic cars in the olden day boomer yuppie era had vinyl seats, no toys, no real higher spec than the modern cars and no better image other than maybe that the brands were less common then.
    It's a big, cushy ride, with a smooth engine. I think you need to drive it to appreciate it, perhaps even on a long trip.
  • ohenryxohenryx Member Posts: 285
    What you bring is your cell phone, and then you call the cops. You might be talking grand theft in some states.

Nah, not necessary. I stand in the middle of the showroom floor, and let rip in my loudest voice:

I WANT MY CAR KEYS. NOW

Take a very deep breath, let the words come out from your diaphragm. Deep, solid, loud, reverberating from the rafters. Repeat every 10 or 15 seconds until the car keys are in your hand.

Pay absolutely no attention to anyone trying to tell you, "Please calm down, we're looking for them." Go for deep and booming, not shrill.
    Sounds like a Toyota. So when do the domestic fans start referring it as an "appliance"?

Bet it never happens once.
    Well if you want a sports sedan you get an ATS or CTS. The Impala doesn't pretend to be anything but a competent full sized car.