Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today!

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Well, they just fixed that, the Monte now gets the supercharged engine (and about 50 labels to prove it).

So maybe the trucks will get similar treatment?

-juice
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...a blue Bangle-ized 5-Series and a orange metallic PT Cruiser convertible.
  • player4player4 Member Posts: 362
    Yesterday at a mall parking lot i saw a 2004 or 2005 Kia Spectra i checked it out inside and out adn let me tell u it was NICE!!!! i saw that it had the 6 airbags and the interior was very nice put together adn also the exterior was, my only complaint is the rear end of the car i dont know if its just the taillamps or the whole rear but it doesnt really work for me, but overall the car is very nice! the color was like a sky blue metallic looking color!
    It's based on the well-reviewed Elantra, but actually get a few improvements.

Did you know side curtain air bags are standard?

And the base engine has variable valve timing. That fact would embarass some luxury cars.

-juice
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Who's giving the Elantra good reviews?

Automobile had this to say about the GT:
    "...Hyundai engineers should spend a few weeks driving the competition so they might understand how far behind they are. Shifting through the gears in this car feels like stirring a straw through a convenience store slushie. Handling performance was comparable to Corollas and Civics of the 80's; while the ride was none too compliant, body control was poor, and the GT has a scary proclivity to pitch and bob in transitions. The steering also felt rather lifeless. We did come up with a neat trick to double the mushy brakes' performance; we dragged our feet out the door..."

That's just a sample. Here's the rest of the page in the comparo: http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/0408_economy_cars/index4.htm- l

Pretty much reinforces most of my observations from previous experiences with basic Korean products thus far.
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    Well, Edmunds gave it a glowing long-term review when it came out. You have to keep in mind, though, that the Elantra is selling in the $10-13K range in terms of actual transaction prices. I don't think you could get a Mazda 3s or Toyota Corolla XRS (the other cars in that test) at anywhere near that price. So of course they're going to be nicer cars.

-Andrew L
    Edmunds summarizes:

Pros: Solidly built, powerful engine for its class, plenty of standard features, ultralow price tag, long warranty.

Cons: Poor offset crash test score, antilock brakes available only as a package option.

That's pretty positive, and the Kia adds VVT to the already "powerful engine" and some important safety features standard, to address their only cons.

-juice
    Sounds more like Automobile's speculation that "you get what you pay for" to me, but I'll be fair: I haven't actually driven a new Elantra...
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,369
    over the tractor motor in the Elantra, I rented this winter, the chassis wasn't so hot either. I asked for a Focus and the gave that clunk.

I wonder what %-age of Hyundai sales go to rental fleets.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

It's gotta be climbing.

I had three Elantras last year from National, all at regional airports. Bad enough to fly into Podunk Heights (or wherever) and have to stay at a No Tell Motel, but adding insult to injury on the rental lot? Oy!

Tractor motor indeed! How's about the Sponge Bob suspension, eh?
    Not surprisingly, considering where I live, new Subaru Legacies are popping up all over. You might not notice but they've crisped up the styling giving them a clean Euro look (Fuji wants to compete with BMW and Audi--who doesn't?).

I notice the advertising has been featuring the hitherto neglected Legacy GT rather than the SUV-wannabe Outback. GTs get 250hp versions of the turbo (pancake 4)...Nice.

I'm sure the rentals are dumbed-down basic models. Or was it the GT? Edmunds liked the GT.

I'm a Subie fan so I've noticed a LOT of them too, of course I sort of look out for them. Subaru has had a very successful launch, June sales were well above last year, and they weren't even in plentiful supply yet.

Have you seen how much taller the new Outback is? Check them out side by side, the OB looks like it's a foot higher (more like 4" but the impression is bigger).

-juice
    There are now four Chrysler 300s in the parking lot at work - a red one, a silver one, a blue one, and a white one. Too bad none of them are the awesome Hemi-powered 300-C. There are now two Dodge Magnums as well. Congratulations Chrysler! You've got a hit!
    To me the new Outbacks looked a little lower and sleeker. Maybe I'm confusing the OBs with the GT which have lower rooflines (?).

Could be, the basic shapes are the same. The Legacy has about 6" of clearance, but the OB has up to 8.7", plus roof rack cross bars are standard, so it sits even taller.

-juice
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Well it certainly caught my eye... not my cup of tea, but I'll give them this much, it has a distinct look

Thursday Chats!

Thursdays are a double header chat night now. First up from 5-6pm PT/8-9pm ET we have the brand new Saab Enthusiast Chat. Stop in to meet and greet fellow Saab enthusiasts and your fellow Town Hall denizens and take your favorite automotive topics LIVE in our chat room.

Saab Chat Room

Then immediately following...

Welcome to the Subaru Crew's Weekly Chat!

Join the Subaru Crew every Thursday evening for a chat session from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. The chat room opens about 15 minutes before the scheduled start time, so stop on in, even if it's just to say Hello! All things Subaru is the general theme, but anything automotive is fair game too. Come on in and get to know some of your fellow Town Hallies better! See you there...

Subaru Crew Chat Room

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
    TWO Isuzu Ascenders! Somebody's buying them.

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    isn't that something you don't ever wanna get involved with if you're in a Pinto? ;-)

Actually, it was another bright idea by GM to spread the Envoy/Trailblazer DNA a little too thin, forcing it on Isuzu dealers. I think it was meant to replace the Trooper.

• seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    Doh!
    Tee hee!
    ;-)
    saw a post from you awhile back that your car was ok now. What was the fix? (sorry, was on vacation last week)
    The fix turned out to be a new igniter, new computer, many new fuses and a little wiring. Problem is they never identified the cause. :-(

After a few days at it, they suggested that it might be a frayed wire to the ECU caused by collateral damage from my accident a year ago, which annoyed me, but I had to admit the plausibility and call the insurance company who said "whatever; you're covered". A few days later the shop said they said they might be mistaken on cause and covered the whole thing under warranty!

It's impossible to tell you how just elated I am to be back in the demon and out of that land barge! The Mrs., however, is counting the days to the end of the lease, and I admit my confidence was somewhat shaken, but the thing is such a sheer joy to drive, I'm almost over it. She, on the other hand...

Corollary: I wooed her to the Audi lot on Sunday with the intent to lay the groundwork for an A4 Avant next go 'round. She likes the wagon a lot and Audis in general. But the opportunity to test the S4 Avant popped up and I jumped on it, making certain she had a chance to punch it a little herself. End result is a big green light from my beloved CFO on same said Avant when the IS lease is up! I never in a million years thought I could get a project approval like that!
    good news on both getting the car back running AND the green light for the next purchase. That green light is a much bigger deal than getting a car fixed! ;-)
  • ajvdhajvdh Member Posts: 223
    Passed me while I was riding my bike, and I caught up to it at a traffic light. Black. I won't go so far as to say I like it, but it has presence. Seeing Darth Vader step out of it wouldn't have been unexpected.
    That's a major BINGO!

Almost exactly what I thought, too. The convertible, OTOH, which I also spied in black/black/black, gave me an Eclipse GT feeling from the back at a distance (not great; not bad), but the front is just nasty (in a great way).
    Think of a little red (debadged) wagon that gets to sixty in about five and a half seconds.

Now think of the huge (expletive) eating grin on my face.

I know I do...
    I spotted one of these today in a nice dark silver color with big spoker (17"?)wheels and I thought "that's a sweet looking ride, as nice looking as any of my old roadsters (TR-4A/124 Spider)" With turbo power it should be as good as roadsters get and they get really good.

• setzersetzer Member Posts: 127
    Two: 2005 Chrysler 300s
    Two: 2005 Toyota Matrix
    One: 2004 Scion xA
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Member Posts: 1,491
    does anyone here know if the new zephyr is gonna be produced or not? cos i could swear i spotted one down the street few days ago on my way back from work

hell i thought its just a concept car ??? or is it more like a pre-production model???
  • player4player4 Member Posts: 362
    Today adn yesterday:

2 2004 Suzuki Forenza
    1 2005 Subaru Outback
    Today, at Wale 02's horse show:

GT3
    Carrera GT
    SL65AMG
    CL55AMG
    A8L

Horses, horses and more horses...
    ;-)
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    we just bought a new MPV and as much as I tried to lust after the RX8s on the lot I couldn't stop staring at that Mazdaspeed. They had 2 in titanium and one red. I could see myself in one of those, for sure.

-Jason
    -Pontiac GTOs, both on a dealer lot one in a rather blah shade of silver, the other in a nice shade of French Blue.

-Scion tCs also on dealer lots, in various colors, none very vibrant.

Both cars looked good but not really all that sporty or distinctive.

• mtbiker1mtbiker1 Member Posts: 17
    Saw one first time in person driving around N. Seattle. Very, very nice looking car. If only I could get a couple mountain bikes behind the rear seat....
    which means you can fold the seat and easily accomodate a pair of bikes + luggage.

you could get a roof-mounted bike rack! I don't know much about mountain bikes, but would two of them be able to fit in a 6 wagon, even with the back seat folded down? Can you take them apart easily?
    It's easy to take the front wheels off Andre.

spotted one yesterday, black on cream w/ custom 19" wheels (looks like BBS, not sure tho) and eurospec lights
    true the front end somehow reminds me of darth vader lol, especially if you have black interior. but its a real head turner, and also the driver, girl about 20-24 yrs old ;)
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    I saw my first Kia Amanti that was actually on the road today
    Really, they're a fairly common sight around here, I'd guess a fair success by Kia standards. I still cringe mentally when I see that goofy, pretentious grille.

I finally saw my first Magnums on the road. I saw a ton of 'em, and even rode in one, at the Carlisle Mopar show a few weeks ago, but today was my first day seeing them on the street.

I might have seen the same one twice though, as both times it was a red one. I saw the first one close up at a shopping mall, and it was an SXT. But then driving away from the mall, I passed one going the other way (which would be TOWARDS the mall, so maybe it was two different ones)
  • scscarsscscars Member Posts: 92
    I saw a Maybach 57 this morning. This is the first time that I've seen one on the streets and it is a truly great looking ride that really sticks out when it pulls into traffic.

This one was two-tone black and dark cherry. Interior was dark gray with extremely well polished wood, not plood. It took 4 car wash employees to wipe down and polish the inside and outside. When the driver got in, I could see the steering wheel and gauge binnacle automatically lower and telescope toward him as they adjusted to his seat settings. Amazing.

Since this is a carwash that mainly handles SUVs and family sedans from my neighborhood, it was really surprising to see this big uber-Mercedes amongst the Explorers and Tahoes that surrounded it. The car wash owner knew the driver, so apparently he'd been there before.

Andys120: I saw a French Blue GTO in traffic today. It's a good looking car, but only the 4th GTO that I've seen on the streets since February. 300C Hemis are a lot more common around here.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    I still have yet to see a GTO, although I have seen a few Magnums, and 300s really don't get me going anymore, as one lives down the road. A Maybach though, that would be something to see. I've only seen one at a car show.

I am sure the Amanti is a decent car, and offers a lot of bang for the buck. But as you mention, the front end is horrible. I really find it intolerable. It's the illegitimate offspring of an S type, a prev-gen E class, and a little Edsel DNA thrown in for good measure. A real ripoff. I'll take an XG if I want Korean luxury. I find its parallel universe 1970s-esque styling to be much better.
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    ....I hadn't seen any until last week, then saw one on Ashland, then realized someone four houses down owns one (he parks in the alley, which I only drive down when unloading lots of stuff from the car, maybe once a week). I think they're nice looking, but I'm sure more than one owner has been disappointed when trying to move anything resembling furniture, bicycles or appliances in one. The hatch opening is tiny.

I have yet to see a GTO on the street. A guy about a block away has a Scion Tc, really nice looking car IMO, in charcoal gray.
    ...looks to me like a Buick Century or LeSabre with a Mercedes E-Class front end with a Chrysler grille. There's a gray on in the parking lot at work. The interior's kind of nice.
    nice for a KIA, but the front end is just plain horrible, id choose hyundai grandeur over the amanti anytime
    I've never heard of it. Is it a Korean home-market car or one not sold in the U.S.? I remember a Korean home-market car called the Equus, (sp?).
    and this is one of the pics that I came up with:

Isn't that just an XG350?