Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today!

Comments

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,677
    but I sat in two 300's today. I hadn't planned on it originally...I was supposed to do some stuff around the house, but one of my buddies asked me if I wanted to ride with him to the dealer to buy a new headlight assembly for his '95 Grand Marquis.

I said what the hey, and rode with him out to the dealer in Annapolis. Well, I knew there was a Chrysler dealer nearby somewhere, so I said let's go see if we can find it, and see if they got the new 300's in.

It didn't take long to find the dealer, and as he pulled in, I spotted a silver one. What I did next kind of embarrassed my buddy, and I dunno if he's ever going to go car shopping with me again! I just pointed at it, and like a little kid, shouted "MINE!!"

My friend, who's a high school teacher, made some kind of comment about my juvenile behavior, but I was out the door before he even stopped the car! Just to get on his nerves, I think I even blurted out "MINE" a few more times!

Anyway, this one was just a base model, with the 2.7. I think it stickered for around $24,500. It was silver with kind of a charcoal-ish interior. The salesguy let me sit behind the wheel and try everything out. Finally, I was able to lay all my fears about legroom to rest. Previously I'd been a bit worried because the specs rate these cars at around 41.8", whereas the outgoing Intrepid/Concorde/300M are 42.2". Might not sound like a big deal, but I wish my 'Trep had more legroom! So I was afraid these things would simply be too small for me. Thankfully, this was not the case. I was able to get the seat into a position that was perfect for me. In fact, it was so far back that the steering wheel was out of my reach! And I have long arms, so that's really saying something!

It does have a tilt-telescope feature, but in base models it's activated by a clunky lever that feels like it could get stuck or break. The 300C has power controls. The tranny hump does take a pretty big bite out of the footwell area...much more than the older RWD Mopars like my '89 Gran Fury or '79 New Yorker, but it was still good enough for my needs. Also, they may say that "Cab Forward" is dead, but the base of this car's windshield was at least as far away from me as my Intrepid's.

Admittedly, the interior is a bit cheap. Lots of hard plastic. In comparison, my Intrepid, with cloth and carpeting inserts on the door panel almost seems like a luxury car in comparison. There's no carpeting on the door panels (although I think they also dropped that from the Intrepid in 2002), and the carpeting on the floor is a really cheap grade, probably about on par with what's in my roommate's '98 Tracker. The seats were also made out of this weird cloth that made me think of outdoor furniture, or maybe what would be in a Jeep.

In the back, with the front seat set to where I'm comfortable, I could fit back there, but truthfully I think my Intrepid is more comfortable. The center spot in the 300 is also almost unusable, at least to my way of thinking. The driveshaft hump isn't a problem. In fact, while the tranny hump up front seemed pretty big, in comparison to RWD Mopars of years gone by, the driveshaft hump in back was pretty small. But the center spot is still poorly padded, and feels like it's raised up a bit, and the pull-down armrest really digs into my back.

The trunk's rated at 15.6 cubic feet, and has the spare tire stored underneath, like most FWD cars...or a Dart! It's not bad, but down considerably from the Intrepid's 18.4 (the Concorde is 18.8). But the seatbacks do fold down, to improve versatility. And the hinges are the strut-mount type, so you don't have those "gooseneck" hinges to mess with your luggage. The battery's in the trunk too, in the well with the tire. Much easier to get to than the LH cars, where it's buried in front of the right-side front wheel well, under the air filter.

Under the hood, the 2.7 looks like it's a bit more serviceable than it does under the hood of my Intrepid. When my Intrepid needed new belts, I didn't even attempt to tackle it myself...it was such a tight squeeze that I knew I'd end up with bruised knuckles and a bad attitude, and probably end up sending it to the repair shop anyway. With the 300 though, I might actually have the guts to tackle that job! Changing the oil might be a pain, though. I couldn't find the oil filter, but if it's in the same place that it is on my '00 Intrepid, then on this car, it looks like there's a big plastic cover you have to take off of the bottom of the car. It was most likely put there to improve aerodynamics.

While I was looking at this silver base model, the other 300 they had, a Magnesium 300C Hemi, came back from the test drive. It was pretty well loaded, with a sunroof. Nicer carpet...better than a Tracker, and about on par with my Intrepid. More chrome accents and the fake tortoise shell (I love reptiles though, so if it was made of the real thing I'd boycott it!), and leather really dressed up the interior.

I've been able to find a lot of nitpicks with the 300, but dammit, I want one!!

Oh yeah, they also had some Pacificas, and I finally got to sit behind the wheel of one, and adjust the seat to where I'm comfortable. At the auto show, they yank the battery cables, so you can't adjust the power seats. I was able to get comfortable in it. I kinda like 'em, but all of a sudden, I do have a lusting for a 300C! The Magnesium example they had, though, stickered for about $35,000. They are currently offering a $1000 rebate for current Mopar owners, but I think I'm going to wait for the 0.9% financing +4,000 cash back! ;-) Or just wait till they start hitting the used car market. I learned, first-hand, with my Intrepid how fast a new car can depreciate. I dunno if I want to go through that again!

But still, the only thing that's going through my mind is "MINE!!"
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    Did you ask them if they'd have a New Yorker version done up for you with cushy, button-pillow red velour seats and a vinyl roof? ;-)
  • player4player4 Member Posts: 362
    Just saw the 2005 Chevrolet Equinox at the Chevrolet Dealer and it was silver with the 17" wheels, it looked real nice, i saw one too at the Local Auto Show in my area and the car is very nice but the front is a little akward. Also saw the 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible on the road.
  • JPhamJPham Member Posts: 148
    A Skyline from the rear ... looks exactly like a G35.
    almost forgot, they did have a PT Cruiser 'vert on the showroom floor at that Chrysler dealer I stopped off at on Saturday. Nobody was paying attention to it though, because of the 300's, I guess!

They also had a Viper, for only $80K, and a Crossfire.
  • grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    Tonight I saw my first Cadillac XLR on the road. The roads were wet because of the downpours we've had all day, and it was dark, but I could still tell that it was an XLR. Between the darkness, the wet roads and dark color of the car, the scene looked like something straight out of an advertisement. The car really stood out, with the taillights looking especially distinctive.
  • wimsey1wimsey1 Member Posts: 201
    Local Pontiac dealer has had a GTO on the floor for a few weeks now.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Came across a Chrysler Crossfire in a school parking lot today. Interesting looking beast. Certainly stood out from the vehicles around it. Haven't quite made my mind up about liking the looks or not... perhaps I'll see it in motion one of these days!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,388
    ...I wasn't impressed. It's awkward looking from behind, certainly not on a par with the other 3ers in looks.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    I saw TWO silver 300's within minutes of each other in Laurelton, Queens on Thursday. The driver's were both woman and I thought it was the same woman at first!

Driving behind it on the parkway... I felt like I was driving behind a car... you know a REAL car like from the day?
  • setzersetzer Member Posts: 127
    SSR, Malibu, Mazda3, Pathfinder Armada, Camry Solara- haven't seen the convertible yet :(, GTO, Durango, Titan, Pacifica (I don't think that counts anymore), 350Z, can't remember what else. I think that's a pretty good list for being in a suburb of Portland.
    The 2004.5 Volvo S40 yesterday at a stop light it was silver with the T5 package it had the 17 inch wheels it was awesome!!!
  • kenjabikenjabi Member Posts: 76
    I saw a new Chrysler 300, I think it was a dark gray (it was night). The front looks ok in person, better than my first impression in pictures, and I like the overall look of the car.

Also saw a black Solara convertible. It definitely looks better than the coupe.

Also saw an orange xB, which looked like it was being test driven, with window sticker and temp plate on it. I didn't like the color, plus the car had no rims! It looked like it was running on four spares. They don't even have factory wheels?
    Came up behind it at a traffic light, with my Silverado. Tiny little thing...looks like a toy.
    I saw a Mazda 6 yesterday and am pretty sure it was the new hatchback model.
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    but I saw my first 300C this weekend. Test drove it as well ;-)
  • kenjabikenjabi Member Posts: 76
    You reminded me that I also saw a Mazda 6 station wagon in front of a department store in a local strip mall the other day. It was on the "lawn" of the store, must have been part of some kind of give-away. Didn't get a great look at it (I was finding a parking space), but my fiancee did and she seemed to like it.
    a Malibu Maxx yesterday, as I was leaving work. It was black. Now I know these aren't small cars, but something about the styling just makes them look tiny.
  • vikdvikd Member Posts: 187
    ...we test drove a Maxx a couple weeks back. Although they have nice and roomy rear seat accomodations, the trunk space IS very tiny. Overall, it's just too small a vehicle for our needs.

Regards... Vikd
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...just bought a new silver Kia Amanti.
    one thing I noticed about the Maxx too, when I sat in one at the auto show, is the back seat just didn't feel very comfortable. It was roomier than the seat in the sedan, but just not as comfortable.

Somebody mentioned awhile back on Edmund's that the Maxx reminds them of the old '83-86 Camry hatchback. I can really see that resemblance, except I think the Camry pulled it off a bit better.

Still, it's...interesting!
    ...even though the rear seats recline, it still felt like sitting on a bench seat or something similar; not much support anywhere. Also, the fact that I can't even get my golf clubs in the trunk without foliding down one side of the rear seats crossed it off the list for us. The trunk is truly tiny; the tricky PT Cruiser-like tray only serves smaller applications. I will say that the Maxx was fairly enjoyable to drive...

Regards... Vikd
    There is one of those Camry hatchs up my street and I would have to agree, the Maxx really resembles it but the Camry is better proportioned. Maybe I was the one who commented on it, I don't remember.
    The rear seat comments jibe well with my experience at the auto show, funny, I never did look at the trunk. I guess you don't get something for nothing.
    Have you driven a Mazda 6 hatch or wagon? I know the sedan is great handling. Anyone know if the 6 wagon can be had with the manual trans?
    ...have not driven the hatch or wagon, but I did drive the sedan version in base form. Even in base 6i trim, the vehicle was very enjoyable to drive. Relatively peppy 4 cyl and handled and cornered excellently. Rear seat accomodations are still not what we would like. Perhaps that is addressed with either the hatch or wagon versions; havent seen either in person as of yet.

Regards... Vikd
    this is, but this morning I saw a Mitsubishi Lancer station wagon. It looked kinda like an '82 Cavalier wagon with an upside-down Pontiac grille put on. I didn't even know they made a wagon version of the Lancer...shows ya how much I pay attention to them!

Vikd, let us know how the 6 hatch and/or wagon feel, in comparison to the sedan. In the past, I've notice that wagons are actually usually a bit tighter in the back seat than sedans. Like maybe they move the seat up just a bit for a bigger load area? Or maybe the fact that the seat now has to fold down has something to do with it?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    feels roomier in the back seat than the sedan, because of increased headroom (otherwise seems the same). The hatch IMO loses a little headroom.

The 6 does come with a stick. The only engine is the V6 though.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    2 more Mazda 3's yesterday. Seen about 4-6 more Acura TL's since Saturday(boy that car is moving lots in a hurry.)

Saw my 5th Chrysler Crossfire on Sunday. It was white.

Oh yeah seen about 13-17 Mazda RX-8's so far since their debut. Not alot of them around.

04 Mitsu Galant where are you?

Finally saw a Pontiac GTO that was sold and not in a dealers lot. THe GTO was parked in a parking lot that I was going by yesterday. It was silver.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    Here in LA I see everything... and I mean everything. (For example I saw an Renault 5 GT Turbo the other day)

Yesterday though I swear I saw two Audi A3s. The first was a black four-door that I would have written of as an A4 Avant if I didn't see the black two-door hatch following right behind it. I heard that we are only getting the four-door version, but could this be a hint that the rumors are wrong?
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,388
    FIVE door A3s only for NA.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

...out to lunch today, I saw a copper-colored Caddy CTS with a brown Landau roof, Vogue tires wrapped around gold wire wheels...! Some people cant let the "old" Caddy die I guess...

Regards... Vikd
    who found it hard to keep down the Quiznos sub he just had for lunch... ;-<
    This morning i saw the 2004 Mitsubishi Galant GTS it was dark so the lights were on and since it had the Clear and Chrome oval insert Taillights it looked real nice, the car was white, the first one i see in town!! Also seen about 3 2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor's around.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,136
    There's a 3 door A3 that someone in my town shipped over from Germany. I am sure that was a nightmare, but it's a neat little car

There's a new Galant where I work. I am not blown away by it.
    Please say it was a joke!
    Wow, that must have been nasty, I certainly hope those were not factory options.
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Post like that again, and we're revoking your charter! ;)

EEEWWWWW!

BTW, no, you can't get that crud from Caddy, you have to actually find someplace to get it...
    that little Lancer wagon again at work this morning. Followed it in. It's actually not a bad looking little car. Nothing groundbreaking in terms of pushing the envelope, shifting the paradigm, or making it an order of magnitude or two greater, but still, not a bad looking little car.

Y'know, I don't think I've seen an RX-8 yet, except at the auto show. I've seen a new Galant or two...haven't made up my final opinion on it yet. It looks smaller in person though, than it does in the pics.
    ...a Hyundai XG350L. Does the new KIA Amanti use the same platform? The Amanti seems slightly longer.
    ...joking. I have no idea if those are Caddy/dealer installed options (I'll take wale's word for it that they are NOT) but both the Landau roof AND the gold wire wheels did have the Crest and Wreath adorning them...?

fintail/andre -- saw three '04 Galant's this morning parked side-by-side about three inches from each other in a Thrifty rental car lot...NOT a good start!

Regards... Vikd
    I think the Amanti is a completely different platform. IIRC, the XG350 is essentially a slightly larger Sonata. The Amanti is a porker, though, weighing about as much as a Lincoln Town Car!
    ..that crap is all aftermarket. When I bought my Seville STS two years ago, none of the salesmen tried to push any of that self-destructive add-on garbage nor was it displayed anywhere in the dealership.
    ...thank you for easing my mind...!

And this on a brand new CTS of all Caddy's, unbelievable...!?

This is right on par with the blasphemy I was witnessed to last spring when I saw a brand new 911 Turbo S with ghost flames on the sides...!!!

Regards... Vikd
    any guesses on what he did to his resale value?
    ;-D Wow, gottahurt!
    ...don't care what you do to your car once you drive it off the lot. I've seen a lot of unlikely cars subjected to this degradation including a new Lexus LS430, Nissan Maxima, and a Volvo.

If anybody caught the Sopranos on Sunday, Frank Vincent was driving a red 1998-2003 Lincoln Town Car with a fake "continental kit." Tony was chasing him with the Escalade causing Frank to crash his ride into the back of a Boar's Head meat truck.
    ...and the driver did not appear to be the stereotypical person you would assume would do that kind of trash...oh well, just goes to show that stereotypes can be useless counterproductive...

Regards... Vikd
    ...has a show called "Pimp My Ride." I saw them try it with some girl's shabby-looking 1976 DeVille. Oh the humanity!
    ...I've seen it. The '67 (or mightve been '69) Mustang they did was actually not bad. Was obvioulsy not restored to original but no too over-the-top either. Perfect for the 20 yr old girl who owned it...!

Regards... Vikd
    The 2004 Buick Rainier, and the 2004 Volkswagen Toureg. Have any of you seen the 2004 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG around? I have it was like 2 months ago it was dark blue that car was beautiful i was on my way home and i was about to make the turn to get to my house and i saw the E55 i flolowed the car and it was BEAUTIFUL OMG!!!! Those dual exaust pipes on each side looked awesome and the whole car itself was tremendously nice. I love the 04 E55 AMG!!
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    Here are the people responsible for the landau roofs and gold grilles and stuff on Caddys:

http://www.voguetyre.com

I actually kinda like the way their wire wheels look! But they are junk, though. In the '80s, they had problems with the wheels coming apart at high speeds.

-Andrew L
    First Chrysler 300 on the street today.
    I think if the grill/headlight/bumper area wasn't such a mess I would be OK with that car.
  • bkswardbksward Member Posts: 93
    I see lots of stuff.

I've seen the new E55 AMG, nice looker. As are the new SLs that are all over the place.

The new CLKs as well... a 4-5 year old 2004 CLK320 is more likely to be within my price range the next time I'm out to buy a car... :-)

Actually, I'm looking forward to seeing the new SLK when it hits stores...