Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted a NEW (insert make/model) today!

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I'm just happy to see a Lexus selling that isn't the RX or ES.

They're doing a motorsport model of the LS.

What's gotten in to them lately? :D
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,704
    I can't imagine a bike short enough to fit in an R, upright, at least...
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    So the motorsport model can now compare with the base models of the competition. Sadly, that base iso-tank LS has a following.

I think Toyota finally got tired of the motoring world (validly) complaining about their boring products. Profits are good, but image is nice too.
    Hmm didn't think of that, maybe I remember it looking taller than it is (been ages since I have noticed one on the road).

The idea of some non-pickup low step up hauler for a bike, that isn't a trailer, has some appeal.
    Here you go:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Perfect. :-)
    Not bad, even has the right wheels. Just needs a rear cover to keep the bike dry.

Hmm...maybe an R-class interior could be hollowed out to give more height. This daydream is becoming expensive.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    tad on the short side I would think.

If you really wanted something, an actual viable option is a Transit Connect. No, not quite up to your normal standards for a DD, but it least it can actually haul the bike!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Hmm, that might work. Wonder when we'll ever get it in a diesel...although I guess the new age gas engines aren't too bad.

Would solve storage issues too, to keep the bike in a vehicle, as my building has a mere one spot per unit, and I've already cringed at parking the bike against the wall and crowding the car in front of it.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Do the seats fold down in an R-Class?

If so, I bet a bike would fit...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    Someone's German interpretation of a Ford Harley Edition pickup. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I think the seats would need to be removed. I took this up a notch and looked for some rear pics. Definitely would need to gut the rear interior, and cut the bumper down. But the height would be OK I think, not like I would be sitting on the bike in the car. So, the mods are getting into the thousands, and it would be impossible to resell (and it's a vehicle that doesn't have the best used demand anyway). Probably a dumb idea, but if money and time weren't valuable...

I like the idea of something to haul a bike, esp to get it out of the city or drive to the sunny side of the state. This would also have to be my everyday vehicle.
    if you wait a year, the new design 2014 looks a lot better. Seems that the US will not get the diesel though. Just ecoboost. But they also seem to have a LWB model .

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2012/09/video-redesigned-2014-ford-transit-- connect-van-keeps-the-utility-adds-style.html

I actually thought of the storage locker aspect of it for you.

Man, I could never live in an apartment building. Too much garage withdrawal.

edited November 2012
    "I bet a bike would fit... "

Kind of a ship in a bottle...most are 4' or more high, awful nice to have lots of headroom to wrestle the bike around. A MB Sprinter! Plenty of room. The Transit connect's bed length is actually a bit short for some of today's bigger bikes. EDIT - oooh good, LWB solves all that! Now it's just right.
    edited November 2012
    I like the look of that. Have some kind of power winch/pulley system to get it in, too - pull it in after putting the bike on a pit bull style stand, and maybe an easy folding or automatic ramp. Would be slick. I don't like bikes that are too big, so size is only so much of an issue. A Transit could be workable for everyday use, Sprinter is too big.

The no garage life is no fun - my building has one garage spot per unit - now and then an extra opens up, but it is uncommon. There is outdoor parking, but neither of my cars would tolerate that. But, it saves me from one problem I would have in a house - saving certain old heaps from the crusher. That could be a bigger problem, having neighbors and zoning people harassing me because I have 20 non running cars in the backyard :shades:

Actually a third issue has come up - I rent a garage spot from an acquaintance who needs the mortgage helper. He's finally got to the point where he is thinking of dumping the house, and if it sells, I'll need to find new parking for the oldster. Not impossible, but a hassle.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    The house buyer might need a 'mortgage helper' too. :surprise:
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Just tell the neighbors your name is Andre. They will understand.

• odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    It actually looked more like this, but not exactly. I'm thinking it might have been a tester for the upcoming Fit Shuttle. It had the shrinkwrap stuff all over it like when they are shipped, but this one was driving.

2011 Honda FR-V

Odie
    hey, I like that. So of course I am sure we will not get it in the US.

edited November 2012
    At what he thinks he can get for the house, it will be awhile for inflation to catch up and kick me out of the garage. Oh well. If the next owners want a fintail garage ornament and a small payment each year, maybe.

People around here seem to be less tolerant of Andre-style car hoarders. I have a friend who works for a local city code enforcement dept who tells me they get constant complaints about vehicles.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    edited November 2012
    People around here seem to be less tolerant of Andre-style car hoarders. I have a friend who works for a local city code enforcement dept who tells me they get constant complaints about vehicles.

As long as they are registered, it shouldn't be a problem.

My town has a strict 2 non-registered vehicles stored on the property. My neighbor has reached his limit but has no other vehicles. He rides a bicycle to work.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    You do realize, the 1961 Plymouth was Exner at his worst.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...white Dodge Charger on Verree Road near Oakmont in NE Philly.
    edited November 2012
    So the motorsport model can now compare with the base models of the competition

Your bias it showing again. I'm talking about the wide body that's been terrorizing the 'ring the past few months. It's the real deal, and rumors are they may establish a division like AMG and M.

People underestimated the IS-F and the LF-A, too.
    Quick google search says the Ninja 300 is about 80" long, that's not very big. Several minivans can fit a sheet of plywood (96" plus), so you'd have more than a foot to spare.

Here's a Virago inside a Dodge minivan:

http://farmindustrynews.com/blog/getting-phd-j-b-weld

You could even get a Routan if a German badge is required.
    Brand new, bright white. Kinda looked like a rolling bottle of White Out. :D
    Oh, you mean the one off LS that isn't even based on the current model? The one developed by a German tuning division, as the existing people couldn't get it done? Thing would probably cost 200K+ and find no sales. As of now, it's just a prototype.

"Terrorizing"? Talk about bias. Must be that underdog fixation again.

IS-F still hasn't measured up to the competition where it counts - in the market.

LF-A took over 10 years to put on the road, and was one of the most hyped vehicles in modern history. It has no excuse to be anything but perfect.

My bias? Give that red herring a rest. Lexus has perfect beige and isolation, and has Toyota. That's not bias, it is a legitimate image they must overcome.
    Which suits the Lexus face pretty well.

It's funny that you phrase it that way given AMG was an outside company as well. :D

What was that about bias? LOL

A wholly owned subsidiary is doing Lexus' work.

Lap times don't lie. We'll see.
    edited November 2012
    When your argument loses on merit, best to go childish in your attacks.

I'm surprised to resisting using the word "soul".
    AMG was an independent company slowly absorbed, that chose to to tune mainly (but not exclusively) MB products. The Lexus tuning group is simply a branch set up in a place where performance tuning of cars is perfected to a greater level than in the homeland. Apples to oranges.

When such a car can be bought at my local dealer, let me know. Until then, prototype.
    What merit was lost? Put up or shut up. I am not the only one to scrutinize the "different for the sake of being different" front end that the bland L has adopted.

And another red herring distraction, nice.
    I wonder what kind of frankencar could be made out of a toy hauling minivan. The low step up is key, SUVs and soft roaders won't work. Put something else under the hood too, might be amusing.
    Your criticism, not mine, specifically said:

The one developed by a German tuning division, as the existing people couldn't get it done?

Ironically that applies better to AMG.
    I prefer to evaluate a machine based on merit, like lap times, not some vague and subjective measures like "soul".

You say you will accept it once they're available for sale but that's not true, then you'll whine about cost or sales volume or some other excuse not to accept cars that earned their keep.
    I wonder what kind of frankencar could be made out of a toy hauling minivan

Renault F1 Espace, but it was just a concept.
    edited November 2012
    But maybe not, as MB wasn't even trying to tune its own passenger/road cars before AMG rolled around, and never tried to compete with any independent tuners - unlike Toyota (does anyone even care to want to tune a Toyota?). I guess F-sport wasn't good enough for this LS, send it off to Germany to be done properly.
    edited November 2012
    Who used "soul"? It's a quote, right? It's the name of a Kia, strangely enough. Fun distraction, bad tactic.

Lap times are only worth so much, as well - lots of variables there. A few seconds here and there can also often be a driver issue.

Once they are available, do you have info lacked by everyone else?

"Earned their keep" - once you can leave the US and see one on the street, maybe. Until then, a barge that makes a base LS/A8/7er look downright exhilarating, and appeals mostly to bland Americans who think those cars are just a bit too edgy thank you, now where is my vanilla ice milk and tax break? :shades:

Espace would be a good hauler, not as big as a normal minivan. Once again Europe gets the useful stuff, we get CUVs.
    FT86 was just named the tuner's choice at SEMA.

The island of Japan is too narrow for a twin turbo V8. Hit the gas going east or west and you'll hit water. :D
    First tunable Toyota in what, 25 years?

One prototype Lexus based on an old model with no definite signs of production isn't enough to change things just yet.

But hey, they are trying.
    The point is Lexus has had success with the IS-F and LF-A yet you still refuse to acknowledge them.

Perception lags behind reality. 5 years or so is the amount of time for people to come around.

I imagine you'll take a lot longer. :P
    25? Supra, MR2, Celica, all came within that time frame.
    I suppose the IS-F wasn't rejected anyway, although maybe not a runaway success in the market, especially globally. Zhe Ghermans aren't really scared.

IS-F came out for MY 2008, I think. So we are there.
    edited November 2012
    Who tuned a new MR2 or a Celica in maybe the past 20 years then? They became older peoples cars.

I'll give Supra as an exception, but mostly as a used car - too expensive for 99% to modify when new.
    We are there and Lexus seems poised to announce a new division...probably not a coincidence.
    edited November 2012
    MR2 and old people's car? :confuse:

Supra was produced til 98 I think so that's a 10 year gap.

Through your German-engineered glasses that's 25 years. LOL
    The 2002+ or whatever, yes. Seemed to go to middle aged and above men, while its competition motorcycle engine S2000 sold to younger.
    2002 saw the SMT introduced so I won't even argue that point. It ruined that car.

At least the engine was used in the Lotus Elise, that car I started eyeballing at that point.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I've seen some pictures of the next Toyota RAV 4 from the LA Auto show. It's nice that it dropped the backward hearse gate in the rear, but from the front it looks like someone punched it in the snot locker.