Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Canada

loonieloonie Member Posts: 18
Hi,
Hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes but I thought with a lot of us Canadians on this board that we could have our own forum. This way we can talk about our buying experience from a Cdn viewpoint as well as any issues specific to Canada and sightings of other Mazda 3's and general chit-chat.

Comments

• loonieloonie Member Posts: 18
    Well yesterday (Sat, April 04), I walked into my Mazda dealership just expecting to test drive the 3 and to see what deals they are offering. To make a long story short, I walked out the proud owner of a new Mazda 3 GT Sport in Sunset Orange with auto, AC, & Moonroof.
    I have posted here before and was deciding between the Mitsu Ralliart and the 3 and some of the replies I got help me choose the 3.
    Anyways, just to give some more details of my buying experience, the guy I dealt with was fairly nice. I asked right away that I wanted to test drive and he quickly got us a car to drive. When we went to negotiate I think it was to our advantage that we weren't planning on buying it today. Our initial offer I think was fairly low ($23,000) so we upped our buying price ($23,185). He went to see his manager and came back with a counter offer ($23,685). We said, "we'll think about it" and got ready to leave, thats when he said "how about $23,290?" Since our threshold was $23,300, this was doable(sp?) and waited for the manager to approve. Guess they were scared of us leaving and we had a deal. By the way, the price is before all taxes, freight and pdi.
    The other good thing was our car was on it's way here and I could pick it up this wednesday the earliest. So, if anyone sees a sunset orange driving around Markham and Scarborough thats me.
    By the way, I think I can mention the dealership I bought from, it was Markham Mazda.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Congrats! I like to test drive the one I'm going to buy and going to drive daily instead the demo.
  • ianehianeh Member Posts: 2
    Just put a deposit down yesterday and there was no talk with the salesperson about undercoating/rust protection?

A few questions.

Does anyone know the cost that Mazda and Ziebart charge to do each of these? I live in the Vancouver area.

Are both of these highly recommended to do with a new car?

If I were to do only one or the other, which is more important?

Thanks!
    Consumer Report does not recommend them. This just help dealer to make more money. Car manufacturers have standard rust-through warranty.
    Mazda does have a rustproofing package/insurance. Not sure how good it is but it sounded good but I did not get it.
    Basically it's supposed to be a new way of providing rust protection. This protection must be inspected every two years. If somehow the car still ends up getting rust, the insurance will pay for the value of the car. Not sure how it will really qualify for insurance but I'm sure there's a lot of small print. The cost for this is $695.
  • dhmcdhmc Member Posts: 6
    There is a good article about rust proofing in Canada where we have to deal with high salt environment:

http://www.apa.ca/template.asp?DocID=11
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Other than the models and equipment being a little different, there's not that much specific to Canada about the Mazda3. You think we don't have salt on the roas here in the US?

Maybe there should be a "Mazda3 USA" topic.
  • ianehianeh Member Posts: 2
    The original post asked about undercoating/rust proofing and the costs of this in the Vancouver area.

Is your point that I should not have posted this in the Canada area, or there should be no Canada area?
    I think having such specific topics in the Mazda3 boards is not necessary.
    Or maybe we should have a topic for "Mazda3 undercoating/rust proofing and the costs of this in the Vancouver area". ;)

Seriously though, in answer to your question, no, I don't think there should be a separate "Mazda3 Canada" topic. I just don't see that there is that much unique to the Mazda3 (or buying it) in Canada to warrant this. Sure, the models and prices are slightly different (isn't that something we are talking about?), and Canadians are probably interested in undercoating than somebody in Arizona (but not Minnesota, New York, etc.), but I think it's counter-productive overall.

Otherwise you could argue for a separate topic just for those people that live in hot, humid areas (i.e. Houston or Miami) and are having problems with their AC.

Just my $.02 (or maybe $.03 in Canada)
    As I said, did not mean to step on anyone's toes but with quite a few of us Canadians on this board felt that we could discuss some of our issues in a familiar environment. Rather then sifting through a lot of messages to find something pertaining to Canadians (ie, we don't have navigation systems, we don't have models "i" and "s", cdn currency, etc).
    I remember reading a few posts where our American couterpart keeps thinking we're paying too much for our cars.
    Anyways, sorry again, did not mean to snub you.
  • nyerinmontrealnyerinmontreal Member Posts: 2
    Although I've seen a number of posts about CDN pricing, I haven't seen any posts about people leasing a Mazda 3 in the Montreal area and what type of lease payments they're getting.

I've managed to negotiate a local dealer down to $345/month (taxes in) for a Mazda 3 GT with GFX (basically everything except leather)no money down, but a $4000 multiple Security deposit, bringing the lease rate down to 4.4%.

Any feedback appreciated.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I kind of liked the input that was coming from Canadian owners -

From the world political perspective it seems like Canada and the USA have been at odds - I saw where a 15 year old American girl participating in some school event (by carrying the USA flag) was met with boos - same thing last year during some little league hockey game. Kind of sad that we can't get along better - maybe the Mazda3 could improve relations! At least it is something we can both agree on.

BTW - I have been to Canada at least a dozen times between 1988-1995 and always felt welcome.

I see no need for all the different topics - I read them all anyway - but it would be easier if they were under three topics - The buying experience / price paid deserves its own - one combined topic for Mazda3 VS all the other second rate cars and one general MAZDA3 topic.
    I agree. I'm not sure what value having such a narrowly-focused topic is. Is it so the Canadian buyers don't have to bother reading posts from folks in the US, or is it so US people don't need to bother with the Canada-only topics? Personally, I like to hear what's happening on both sides of the border. Hey, wasn't there a guy in Guatemala who bought a Mazda6 hanging around here for a while? Maybe he could have his own "Mazda6 - Guatemala" topic. That would be a hoot.
    I did not know Americans were so sensitive. All I wanted was for us Canadians a place to discuss our Mazda 3. Maybe some of us wants to hang out. Get a Mazda 3 club going. Maybe there's a particular dealership one of us finds worthy of attention. I wasn't trying to shut you guys out just wanted an easier place to discuss Cdn related issues.
    Not sensitive and no offense taken, just don't see that the value of it outweighs the effort required.
    Like always, just my $0.02 ($0.0262730 in Canada). ;)
  • jandd1jandd1 Member Posts: 35
    in Quebec was recently invited back to - I believe Nova Scotia where all her expenses were paid and there was a formal apology to her and her family. I suppose that wasn't reported - didn't make the 'is it sensational?' cut on CNN or CNBC or whatever.

I remember when that happened and it was at the height of the insurrection into Iraq...some idiots decided to express their disapproval towards the war by taking it out on the US contigent at whatever tournament their kids were participating in.

We were shamelessly booed at a hockey tourney in Granby, Quebec in 1995 at the height of the separation referendum...for being English Canadians...c'est la vie!

Having a Canadian only from is really unnecesary, however if Loonie want to start continue this thread and others want to participate then that is their perogative...or right, or something like that ;-).
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    "Hey, wasn't there a guy in Guatemala who bought a Mazda6 hanging around here for a while? Maybe he could have his own "Mazda6 - Guatemala" topic. That would be a hoot."

Yes, his name is Barry and he's an expatriot of Canada who worked in North Carolina 40 years and retired to Guatemala, now wishes he had retired here. He drives a Mazda Protegé5.

What's wrong with an Canadian forum? With their own they don't have to convert metric and Canadian dollars and can use their terminology and slang terms. We can read it or leave it. I, personally, enjoy it. Canadians should not have to share a forum with US buyers as if they aren't a country.

fowler3
    Well, this is interesting. All I wanted was some Canadians to discuss about their issues and experiences that other Canadians could relate. Instead, we have a little debate about patriotism and a cry to be united. If I had paid a little more attention during my Sociology classes I swear this was in one of my chapters.
    Anyways, as I said before, this wasn't a big deal. I figured if Canadians wanted to use this forum, so be it. If the Americans didn't like it, don't read it. It's like tv, don't like what you're watching, change the channel. If it's too much effort for someone to post here or to read here then they won't do it. No need to remind us how much work it takes. We're just as lazy as the next person.
    Anyways, I really don't want to continue arguing about the validity of a Canadian channel. I'm sure we've scared off anyone who wanted to post here in the first place. However, if they want to they are welcomed to. Hopefully, we can coexist and maybe one day we can all get together at Tim Horton's.
    Just my $0.02 ($0.0137 in US)
    Is an Insane coffee shop found on most corner/ in most cities/towns/villages/hamlets/crossroads in Canada - but moreso in the east.

The coffee is priced relatively cheap and is really good.

I say insane because they put something in their coffee that makes people (addicts) look for a location despite passing 2 other perfectly good other brand coffee shops along the way.

There are major crosscroads where there is a Tim Hortons on 3/4 corners. They have infiltrated Esso (imperial Oil) and are often attached to their convenience shop and most have a drive through. It is joked that owning a Tims is a licence to print money.

They are currently having an annual 2 month contest where you roll up the rim to win 1 of $28 million worth prizes. Sadly - Yes it makes me buy more coffee.

They have now nearly 200 stores in the US as far south as Kentucky and West Virginia.

Their parking lots are notorious for being a car lovers hangout, and is often the nexus from where drag races are set up in the summer months.

Tim Horton who open the first store in the 70s was a tough as nails Hockey player who played for the Maple Leafs and died not long after opening the first one.

Being invited for coffee at Tims is an honour ;).
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Good discussion in that the 3 being either #1 or at worst #3 in sales in Canada so far this year, this is an important car for us.

Discussing Canadian prices and options is more relevant than talking about how the local dealer in Arkansas has 50+ on their lot whereas local dealers here have less choice and are not giving them away - which in itself is unpsetting to read about 0% financing and $500 loyalty rebates and $500 or so grad rebates in the US :)

I'm done now :)

Dinu
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    having a discussion about the Mazda3 in Canada. Are there issues that Canadian buyers of this vehicle face that are a bit different than US buyers?

Make yourself at home - and if you want an owner's club for the Mazda 3 Canada - just let Karen or I know and we'll set one up for you.
    Nice call!
  • 3owner3owner Member Posts: 29
    Does anyone know what slam locks are?
    It's listed in the features of the Mazda 3. Does that mean if I slam the door hard enough it will lock automatically?
    Fuel Consumption
    On my last fill up I got 620 KM's on 50 litres. 60/40 in favour of Highway driving. Just passed 7,000 KM's overall.
    If we are gonna have a Canadian forum, we had better use it wisely. I for one was a bit surprised that one was created, but if we use it for discussing prices, features, mileage (kilomeage)and not try to justify its existence, then we Canadians and the forum will be better served. IMO ;0)
    You can hit the locks in the "closed" position (ie: slam them) and the door locks???

No clue really :)

620kms out of 50L is impressive if you have the AT and go above 110km/h or so! Do you have the 2.0 or 2.3 and is it MT or AT? I usually get 8.5L/100kms on trips with the 2.0+A/T in the Protege. I drive at about 125-130 km/h...

Dinu
    Are slam locks only on the Canadian models? Why wouldn't they put them on for the US too?
  • kaiserheadkaiserhead Member Posts: 166
    620 kms on 50 litres, that's awesome!!!! My 1.6L Protege only gets about 500kms on 50 litres these days.
    http://www.vangadgets.co.uk/index.html?security_door_locks_for_co- mmercial_vehicles.htm

For Rear Door or Tailgate door - Door is locked automatically when you slam the door, so you don't have to worry about whether you lock the door or not. Good for delivery car.
  • carjobcarjob Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2.3 liter auto Sedan and I get about 500km per tank - or at least until I fill up again.
    Funny thing, I notice that the low-on-fuel light comes on when there's still about 10 liters left in the tank. I know this because when I fill up I can only put about 45 liters in and the manual says the tank is 55 liters big.
    Anyone else notice this? To me it seems that 10 liters out of 55 isn't really "low" on fuel. It's really only just below %20 of a full tank. I can still get about another 80km out of a low tank. I guess they want to give you plenty of time to find a gas station.
    Dinu, I have the 2.0 AT Mazda 3. I have been VERY impressed with the consumption of fuel. I usually drive at least 120KM on the highways ... but I frequently get caught in bumper to bumper traffic.
    Thank you bigdadi118, I'm gonna give it a try and see if its working. With the keyless locks its a little overkill, but I guess it could be useful in certain conditions.
    Carjob, I to notice that around 45 L the light comes on ... I drived and worried about running out, and when I filled up it topped out at 50 L so I really had another 50 KM's to go ... but its better to fill up with gas in the tank than with none at all ;o)
    I hoped you or Karen would see this forum and make it official. ;)

For one thing, having a Canadian forum helps people in the states to become more familiar with metric values bringing us closer to the rest of the world. And it's a way to travel abroad without leaving home, although, Toronto is only 1 1/2 hours away by Air Canada from North Carolina. May make a weekend trip there some time.

Now, on with the show!

fowler3
    I have the 2.3 with a 5 speed and I too noticed that the light comes on way early. My last tank came on at 460 odd kms and I continued to drive it to 540km and when I filled up I still only got to 52.3 litres.

Why is this important - because in Toronto you've got prices fluctuating from .64 cents a litre to .77 cents a litre in the span of 24 hours.

And personally I'm so pissed at the collusion on prices that I'll push the car to the gas station rather than pay an extra 6.50 to 7.00 dollars per tank because my timing was off...although I would rather not!
    Well, it's official. I am picking up my brand spanking new 3 wednesday night. I can finally get rid of my Dodge and finally move into imports. Do you guys recommend using a higher grade gas then regular, at least for the first few fillups? I hate paying 0.80 a litre just for regular as it is but if it helps the car, although today I think gas was 0.65.
    Also, can anyone recommend a company that will tint car windows in Markham or Scarborough?
    Appreciate your support.
    If you use higher than recommended it does nothing, and can hurt the engine since it has addatives not required. Use regular unleaded.

Just drive moderately for the first 1000km, no fast starts, no hard braking and don't drive at a steady speeds for long periods of time. Vary your speeds and keep the rpm below 3000.

fowler3
  • lavaorange3lavaorange3 Member Posts: 128
    I have the 2.3L with the five speed. I've run 6600 miles so far, approximately 15 tanks with premium, 5 tanks with regular and now two tanks with premium again. Say what you will, but seat of the pants tells me the car revs smoother and quicker, and displays more immediate torque using the premium. It tends to hesitate on regular. So while this is a topic of much discussion, at least for this car, I say run a few tanks of each, and judge for yourself. My butt tells me premium brings out the potential of the motor better...
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    From what I have read using premium does not improve performance in an engine designed to burn regular unleaded. This assumes of course that the engine is running properly -

The myth is higher octane = more power - that is not really true - it depends on the engine design - if your engine was designed with a higher compression ratio (say 10.8 to 1) then premium fuel gives more power - because it was designed to use higher octane.

This is just an engineering fact - the seat of the pants test is just wishful thinking.

The final proof came a few years back when some of the gas companies (Chevron and Exxon I think) were advertising premium gas in a way that lead the consumer to think it was "better for your car" and gave you more power. The FCC requested proof of these claims - the gas companies could not give any proof that higher octane was better for you car. FCC made them pull the ads off the air.

If their was any benefit at all - even a 1% improvement don't you think the gas companies would know about it and be using it to get people to buy more expensive - higher profit margin premium fuel?
    FX Auto

11 Heritage Road in Markham
    Call for an appointment: (905) 471-7555

Make sure to get the Premier film. I wouldn't pay more than $250 for the HB and $225 for the sedan, including taxes. Ask what is the price of the Toronto Protege Club only after negotiating yourself. If it's cheaper, go that way.

http://www.fxauto.com/

Dinu

PS: Mine is as new and the film has a lifetime warranty. These guys are pretty good IMO.
    87 all the way! Don't waste cash for no reason - especially with our prices than go from $0.67 to $0.80 in a matter of hours.

Dinu
    Just a friendly reminder ... The rule here is you CAN'T POST 'Person's Name' and/or 'Phone No.' Name of shop and address is OK.
    Please check link at top of page "Rule Of The Road"
    Little new to the tint world but is the price for tinting negotiable? And, is the price you quoted for 5 windows? Do you think a HB would look good with only the 3 rear windows tinted?
    Last question, what is the Toronto Protege Club and would they ask proof that I am in it?
    By the way, how long does it take for them to tint windows? Do I have to leave my car overnight?
    On the way into work this morning the ESSO was charging 62.9 a Litre, not bad, so I decided to fill up. The bonus ... they had run out of Regular and Mid-level, so they had to supply the Premium for 62.9. This has happened to me a several occasions and I must say ... I love it. I really feel that I'm screwing them over, especially when its usually the other way around.
    On a side note .... my airbag light went on again. Replaced it in January, and it appears that the fix was with the old sensor. I'll be back in the shop in the next day or so to get it fixed ... sigh ...
    PS) Seeing more and more 3's in the GTA, we gotta start some sort of a club or recognition system. Like putting a stupid foam cowboy ball on our antennas from Canadian Tire ... heehee .... now I was just kidding on that example.
    I certainly hope you were joking about the foam cowboy ball. Everytime I see one of them I want to rip it off.
    Anyways, I think it would be cool to meet once in awhile with all our Mazda 3s. That would be quite a sight.
    ...first of all, if you haven't driven the Mazda3 with different grades of gas, then you don't have a basis upon which to comment...and is often the case in life, it's best to experience something yourself rather than rely on the opinions of those who perhaps are guessing. I'm not saying premium makes the car run better. I am saying after 22 tanks that premium makes the car run best. If any of you want to run regular, that's cool. All I'm saying is try a tank or two or premium and judge for yourself. Too much hand-holding, paranoia and mindless economizing on this board...by people who don't own the car.
    Tint: They should not charge more than $25 more for the HB. I recommend you do ALL the windows save the windshield - obvious (I think). As I said before I would look for Premium/Premier film and pay $225 for the sedan or $250 for the HB. Some have gotten it cheaper. As for the Protege Club, they don't ask for a reference. Just tell them someone with a Protege refered them to you and he (like most members of that club) got his tints done there.

Dos and Don'ts: I know the rules, trust me. Over the years I received my fair share of Pat-O-Grams :) I've been posting here for about 2.5-3 years now. Now I mainly read and post answers to local questions as there is another Mazda3 forum I participate in.

The tel# is listed on the website under contact us. I am allowed to list the site since it's not a competing site to Edmunds, just a service provider (of tints). Also,. it's not a car dealer but an aftermarket supplier :)

Dinu

PS: As a note to everyone here, it would be helpful to have an email address to write you at with more info (such as contact #s, etc IF Edmunds decides that my previous post was unnacceptable).
    I put 89 with 67.X at Dufferin/Steeles and even here in Scarboro (Morningside/Sheppard) gas is cheap :)

61 to 63 cents at all stations along Finch and/or Steeles from Morningside to Keele - went to York U. today and returned on the 401.

Dinu
    Any word on it? Are they bringing it back? Because with the quietness of the 3 that wouldn't be a good thing.

Dinu
    This is just an engineering fact - the seat of the pants test is just wishful thinking.

You are right, as in it runs better after it's been washed. Ever notice that? ;)

If the manual says regular unleaded use it. Try other brands, that can make a difference too.

fowler3
    The manual says regular or higher grade.
    I tested out the Slam locks .... it didn't work. I was standing out there slamming the door for a bit but the doors never locked. Don't think I could slam it any harder either! Could Slam locks be something else, like if you have something caught in the door ie) leg/finger it automatically senses this and stops closing. WOW, what a safety feature ... LOL ... I'll keep fooling around until I discover why its so important to be listed as a feature of the car. Its not available on the base unless you get the CP package. Standard on the GS and GT. Any ideas??

I find my 3 drives much better after a good cleaning too fowler3 ;o)

Hey Dinu, Morningside is a great locale for getting good priced gas. The Petro at Ellesmere and the Sunoco at Military Trail are usually really good, the best place I've found though is a Shell on 9th line in Markham.