Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Luxury Performance Sedans

Comments

• hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Bendix played some pretty surly heavies in the movies. Quite a contrast to his easy-going role as Riley.
    4182 off the top of my head.
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    You're right...could see him today doing some whacking for Tony Soprano et al....(Gandolfini and Bendix) what a team...there would be no messin'round wid der pasta! "FUGITABOUTIT"

Tony drives the wrong car though on that set! Wouldn't put him in an LPS either. I don't know...what do you think? A 96' Fleetwood brougham with black tinted windows? :confuse:
    I could see Durante in one of those Chrysler Imperials from yesteryear, and Bendix as Riley, the first kid on his block to get a Ford Edsel.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    In Germany Audi, BMW and Mercedes are model for model approximately similarly priced.

An A6 and a 5 may be a bit less than an E. But, price differences would appear not to account for the Audi outselling the BMW. Indeed, next year Audi may undersell BMW -- it seems to ping pong between those two in terms of market share.

Beats me :confuse:

My underlying point is the question the contrast between the two "modern countries" buying habits seems to raise.

If BMW outsold Audi by a factor of 3 in the home country, it would seem pretty much a no brainer that it would carry over perhaps suggesting a market perception (based on sales) that there was a clear choice between the brands.

The nature of the sales figures (they nip at each other's heels, i.e.) however does not suggest a clear preference -- this year Audi is outselling BMW as noted; but, that success is, historically, ephemeral (for both mfgs.)
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    I think much of the sales disparity is due to differing brand prestige in the two countries.

In Germany (perhaps because of the 1 series and the 3 and 5 series with 4 cylinder engines and cloth seats), the BMW "name" doesn't seem to carry much weight, certainly not any more than Audi.

In the US, BMW clearly has better significantly better recognition and prestige than Audi.
  • drtraveldrtravel Member Posts: 395
    In the US, BMW clearly has significantly better recognition and prestige than Audi...

and Acura, Infiniti and Lexus but targets a different buyer than Mercedes.
  • inqinq Member Posts: 10
    Interesting that 530 is subsidized more than 525. Never understood the rationale for choosing 525 or why bmw evn exports 525s to US. (I could see the car being popular in europe.) 525 is underpowered (low hp + more wight than 325/330) , more expensive than 3, less fuel efficient, and not much more spacious than E90 3. Plus, IMO 525 takes away from the brand prestige or value of 5 series by offering the same engine as the engine of the lower model of the class 3. I don't think any other competitor (A6, E, GS, M) does the same sort of thing. The lowest 5 should be 530.

PS: Drove 530xi as a loaner for 2 weeks; loved the convenience of extra storage space but did not feel very sporty at all in contrast to reviews.
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Member Posts: 647
    "Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are...." ;)
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Agree, it would be like Mercedes trying to sell the E200K here. The 525 is pretty weak for the US market.
    Exactly! :)
    I do believe BMW would be a be able to get by with just the 530 and 550.
    Never have seen the need for a 525.
  • rich545rich545 Member Posts: 386
    Yeah, but they actually sell a good number of them. Almost as many 525's as 530's so there clearly is a market here for them. What if they bagged them in the US and lost some of those sales entirely because the price of the 525 is lower? That would be dumb. I think they sold something like 900+ 525's last month. They certainly won't stop selling them here if they are selling well. I don't think we can just assume that all of those 525 drivers would automatically buy the 530. Some people really don't care that the car is slow.
    Until 2005, there were 3 Audi models in the A6 lineup (not including the Avants): 3.0, 2.7T & 4.2.

The 3.0 normally aspirated V6 coupled with a lackluster tiptronic auto only transmission was, I presume, meant to go head to head with the lowest powered US 5 model of the day.

Then Audi and Cadillac come along with a 255HP engine (and there are other companies that upped the HP).

The outgoing Audi 2.7T had been boosted to 265HP and 280 pound feet at sub 2,000 RPM. The incoming A6 was a 3.2 with 255HP and the bottom had been dropped (no more entry level A6 -- or so I thought.)

Audi has explained that they are offering two models (in terms of motivation) a base 3.2 255HP, replacing the outgoing 3.0 @ 225HP and the much higher zoot 4.2 (Audis sweetest sounding engine, to date.)

Yet the price of the incoming A6 3.2 was in keeping with the outgoing A6 2.7T (which was the quickest A6 in the land even when both it and the V8 version were equipped with the auto trans.)

I never understood this, but it does make sense for the NA market to introduce your Premium car @ 255HP. The 525, in contrast, seems to continue the theme of low, medium and high motivation -- obviously coming in as "low."

However, the 525 can be equipped with many options and can be configured with a 6spd manual (and with or without AWD), making it actually quite sporty -- and no one from the "other guys" can touch them.

BMW is succeeding in winning my heart and very possibly my future purchase dollars because it is the ONLY clearly differentiated LPS car TODAY.

Yet, when equipped as most folks probably buy them (Premium, non - sport, a few options and steptronic) they are just an excellent car in a field of mostly similarly excellent cars.

Indeed, although I swear the test was rigged, if what you want is an LPS car that outperforms the BMW 5, you have but to compare a stripped BMW to a sported-up STS V6. The Cadillac is, relative to the BMW, athletic, while the BMW wallows and fumbles and stumbles at the speeds rise and the curves tighten.

Now, sport up the BMW and bye bye Cadillac.

My dealer says most folks get pretty much the lower performance versions of the BMW -- he gladly takes their money, but shakes his head as he makes usually some kind of cryptic comment that I can only interpret as a "lament."

As if to say, "I remember when BMW drivers overwhelmingly were interested in performance." Now their interest is luxury (which is often not exactly BMW's strongest suit.)

Having said all of this, I would be pleased as punch to be able to configure a white or pearl green 530xi with all the performance bits available, a 6spd manual and nav and upgraded sound. Not to suggest some displeasure with my A6, but to recognize that today the BMW is differentiated (or at least can be) despite the fact that it is rarely sold that way.

Of course, around Cincinnati, it would seem that BMW's must be forever on sale since "they're everywhere."

You can't say that about the Acura RL, Audi A6 and Infiniti M's -- but I have been seeing quite a few more A6's now that Audi, too, has jumped on the subvented 24 month lease programs.

The other man's grass is always greener.

At least my wife lets me drive her X3 from time to time.
    "Some people really don't care that the car is slow."

I never could understand putting a 3 series engine in a bigger car where it doesn't belong.
    BMW and Audi use their 255HP 6 cylinder engines in their 3 and A4 and their 5 and A6 respectively.

Indeed in Europe these engines (at least in Audis case) are also put into the 7 (I presume) and A8 (I know) models.

The cost to put completely different engines in the 3 and 5 or A4 and A6 doesn't make sense to me.

Perhaps, it would be possible to improve the breathing of these engines in the larger heavier models -- theoretically at least improving both their HP and torque slightly.

Audi put their 30 valve 2.8 engine @ 190HP in the A4 and a better breathing version in the A6 @ 200HP.

I don't know if BMW made similar "marketing" offerings in their previous 3 and 5 series, but I would not be shocked if they had done so.

The new 525 is "about" as well motivated as the outgoing 530 isn't it?

BMW is offering another price point with the 525 -- overall, I believe this is a smart move in the US market, at least.
    The same inline 6 is offered in the 325i and the 330i.
    It has been modified to produce less hp in the former with 215hp as opposed to 255hp in the latter.

The exact same engines and outputs are used in the 325i and 525i.
    The exact same engines and outputs are used in the 330i and 530i.

I would always choose the 325i over the 525i.
    I have never driven the new 530i but I was not all that impressed with the new 330i.
    Rather slow out of the starting gate. Not worth the price, IMHO.

The 2006 325i is one of the best bargains out there. A lot of fun.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Is the total difference in weight between the 325i and the 525i.. If you leave the wife at home, you'll never know the difference...

It says here that the difference isn't noticeable, even when the wife is with you..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I don't think we can just assume that all of those 525 drivers would automatically buy the 530. Some people really don't care that the car is slow...

... actually a lot of people. For most cars that offer a variety of engine sizes the smaller engine is generally the best seller (often by a large amount). Most Edmund forum members would choose the larger engine (at least based on their posts) so once again there is a disconnect between the typical buyer and forum members. Again I ponder just how important the "P" is to most LPS buyers - you know, the folks who don't hang out here.
    My underlying point is the question the contrast between the two "modern countries" buying habits seems to raise.

Hey Mark,

Do you know how each German brand was initially marketed when they started to sell them in the US? It's amazing how influential this initial marketing is to the long-term perception of products. At least that's what I learned in Marketing History 101. It applies to most goods not just LPS.
    Based on their amazing success ($$$$) of the 5-series, BMW has decided to invest in another LPS brand to increase world dominance. The companies produce a joint-venture car which will be sold by both companies - the only difference is cosmetic to help differentiate the two cars. The non-BMW partner will sell their version of the car for $50K. If you were a BMW executive, how much would you sell the BMW version of this car?
    "It says here that the difference isn't noticeable, even when the wife is with you.."

Except of course if the wife is 350...then you might even need a reinforced seat and suspension system and that could add untold additional weight and then if she is constantly snacking well holy cow...you would be stopping at all those convenience food stores and you would never make time...
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Umm ... I'm not sure we need to go there, how about if we just leave Mrs. Calabash, the Schnozz and overweight issues for another forum and get back to the cars?
    $62,500 with the comfort seats!
    And you know what, people will gladly pay the BMW premium.
    It's that kind of a world.
    feel like a tennis ball?
    One host sets you up and the other host smashes you for a winner! ;)
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    Hypothetically speaking... sounds like your scenario shows BMW coming to the "Dark Side" of platform sharing ala Lincoln LS and Jag S-Type. If I were a BMW Exec, I simply would use the Force to resist the temptation to dilute my brand in any way ;)
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Member Posts: 334
    Why is it "unfortuneate" that you have become friends with the service managers? I would think that would be a valued relationship in learning about repairs on the different models.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    One host is here as a participant, same as you ... the other host is here as the, um, host. :D
    Yes..ouch. Actually a hypothetical exageration of one hosts theory....nevertheless insensitive to our host and everyone else and for that I apologize. :cry:
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Agree, it would be like Mercedes trying to sell the E200K here. The 525 is pretty weak for the US market.

I've had this debate with BMW fans on other boards, but do you think Mercedes could sell a E280 here with 228hp, which is really more hp than the just-replaced E320? BMW does indeed sell a lot of 525is despite its engine.

M
    I could definitely see it working in big cities where you really dont need much power, but not in the burbs.
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    I live in Houston and I see at least 1 525 every day. That car makes zero sense to me but to each his own. I saw the new M5 for the first time today. {first time in person, seen it in magazines} One word..AWESOME
    The 525 if it is ordered with the stick shift, seems to me like a smart revenue generating move for BMW.

While I personally may find it underpowered (and I actually have not driven one, so I don't actually know), I would assume it would NOT be a loss leader or a slug in the sales department.

Indeed, it is powered at the same level, isn't it?, as the last year's model 530.

I would assume the 525 would be a reasonable choice if you wanted high speed and stability but were less concerned about 0-100kph times.

Even so, the 525 is hardly a dog, is it?

Most of the experiences we have had with BMW are that they seem to subvent the higher buck higher HP models anyway, making the lower powered versions less attractive financially.
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    That may be true. I've only driven the 525 at the GM event where they have all they're cars and the competition. You drive around an autocross type course. It just struck me as quite a turtle for the "ultimate driving machine" motto
    Just MO
    To me it seems like a lot of cash for not a lot of muscle, especially when compared to cars like the 298hp G35, which is big enough to be considered competition with the 5.
    Although they all charge more for the higher HP versions, HP is not exactly the price of entry into this league.

And, while you may be correct "objectively" about the G35 being able to be considered competition for the 5, typically the M is relegated to that duty and is so perceived both by the buying public and the automotive editors and writers.

The thing that kindof rubs me the wrong way is that the 525 and the 530 use "essentially" the same engine. My understanding is that the engines have a virtually identical appearance. It is as if the same amounts of metal alloys, plastics and electronics (and assembly labor) are used and yet 3.0 engine A has 225 HP and engine B has 255.

Back in the seventies when I first started in IT, there was a brand of computer (no longer in business) that was widely used commercially and it was sold with several throughput capabilities (aka speed). The smallest and slowest machine could be updated to be either larger and/or faster. It became known that all machines were essentially built to be the same speed and that what were essentially jumper cables were attached to the machines effectively slowing the machine down. Then when the customer wanted to upgrade the machine, the customer engineer would simply remove the jumper cables and ask for a 5 figure check for doing so.

I know, conceptually, how and why the X25 and X30 versions using the same engines achieve either lower or higher output -- yet, my personal perception is that it is more "marketing" than "engineering." Hence my comment about it rubbing me [a little bit] the wrong way.

On the other hand, one of the attributes that does make for being considered an LPS car or at least a premium make has to be at least the perception of superior engineering.

Even when I thought less favorably about BMW as a possible choice for my dollars, I always thought they were well engineered.

It would seem to me that there are plenty of 225+ HP engines (or so they are claimed to be) in cars costing 50% less (or more than 50% less) -- putting one of these engines into a 5 series, an E class or an A6 series may provide "bragging rights," but I would assume the engines would be as out of place as hamburger at Morton's.

A Chrysler 300 SRT-8 would be at least $10,000 and perhaps as much as $20,000 less than a BMW 5 series (limiting the 5's to 6 cylinder engines, that is.)

It would seem, then, to me, about as likely that the Chryco car would be competition for the 5 as the G35.

What I really wish, though, is that the companies like Audi, BMW, Infiniti, etc, would unleash their engineering muscle and show us what they can really do (within a given price class.)

The greatest example that comes to mind is the incremental (and almost identical) hp gains that Audi BMW and Mercedes are able to muster.

Do these guys spy on each other, or what? Do the execs and engineers from Audi and BMW all go to dinner together and say "255HP seems to be where we need to be. . .agreed?"

Then they all leave the super secret dinner location separately and give the staff the news: "this year the new BMW 3.0 engine will have 255HP as its stated power. . .make it so;" meanwhile the like team at Audi is being told, "the 5 valve per cylinder 3.0 engine is out, we need a new engine with 255HP. . .make it so."

Or perhaps it is German law -- the German government passes into law bills that proclaim, "in 2005, 256+HP will be taxed at such and such a level which effectively raises the maximum HP to the highest amount in the lowest tax bracket?"

I had to laugh when in the new Automobile Magazine where they had "proof" that German car makers are lemmings. . .they had a picture (left to right) of iDrive, MMI and Command" and the caption was "proof that . . . are lemmings."

Where was I? Oh yea. 525 possibly smart marketing move for many of us (most of us) who do NOT participate here on edmunds. My suspicion that the 525 accomplishes its lower power with the aid of jumper cables remains slightly disconcerting, however.

:confuse:
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    "The thing that kindof rubs me the wrong way is that the 525 and the 530 use "essentially" the same engine"

They finally got smart and started to do what every other auto manufacturer on the face of this planet has been doing for years. Re-purposing their technology.
    To a certain extent, computers are still built that way. Intel doesnt have 2.8Ghz wafers, 3Ghz wafers, etc. They're all made the same, and the ones that run the best have a $1100/ea price tag. Its still quite simple to make a $200 processor run as fast or faster than the $1000 one with some simple (though warranty voiding) clock adjustments.
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    Saw 2 new M5's at my dealer recently. Was surprised at how incredible the White/Portland Brown combo looked. Odd that the "Build your own" section on BMWUSA.COM will not allow that combo!

Had a Black/Black also... both were simply incredible. Couldn't convince the Sales Mgr to take a drive since they were pre-sold to a couple of fortunate souls :(

Buddy of mine is a Porsche Driving Instructor who was in town recently to instruct a new Carerra GT owner in the fine art of keeping his investment on the asphault. Said he saw the new M5 on the track and commented positively about its speed, handling and braking capabilities.

Manual 6-speed sounds great for next year, but wonder how many people will burn up clutches with 500+HP in that high-reving V10? Maybe the SMG makes sense??
  • phaedrus3phaedrus3 Member Posts: 5
    A bit off topic, but you've certainly simplified things when it comes to Intel's business. It's true that they make all their wafers with the same "recipe", but normal process variations can result in significant differences in the speed of different wafers. They sort these during test into different speed bins and sell the fastest ones for more $. That makes sense since the yield to get those fastest parts is lower.

OK, back to cars now.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    My put is that the European model (low displacement) allows the handling (excellent or otherwise) to shine through, while saving fuel. I can't have a diesel on this continent, so the smaller displacement model is the next best thing.

Besides which, it's all relative. The car I'm driving now has 215 hp (I think -- I'm much better at remembering the specs of the cars I'm looking at than at the one I have). That said, the 325 is of equal power with less weight and, well, that BMW thing.

I spend my driving year mostly in commuting traffic, with only a few opportunities to drive at high speed for long distances. Stop-light (red-light, if you're in the South) drag racing isn't much of what helps me choose a car. That's where power shines -- those who value it above all else will pay a fuel premium. I choose otherwise.

Perhaps I'm not worthy, but the 325 has a place on my list -- first.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    If you are wanting a car for safety, German cars have generally done quite well. However, Audi's system will not call emergency services when airbags deploy, BMW's will. If Audi goes with Onstar or something, then that point would be moot.

To me, handling, braking, and engine power isn't just about enjoying the drive. It's about getting out of the way or being able to avoid an emergency situation.

-Paul
  • inqinq Member Posts: 10
    I just wanted to correct a mistake from my previous post. My loaner car was a wagon - NOT a 530xi sedan.
    My last Audi -- a 2003 -- did have On*star. Audi has, apparently fallen out of love with On*star, it is no longer offered and apparently will not be offered in the future.

I would assume Audi will offer something like BMW assist in the future.

BMW Assist is free for one year, as was On*star. I paid for On*star's "safe and secure plan" which was $16.95 per month plus the cost of any phone minutes I used via On*star (I also had a Verizon "AUDI FACTORY" phone that did not use On*star minutes.)

Our dealer told us we did not need to pay BMW for the BMW assist -- that it could be a la carte. The dealer discouraged us from giving BMW assist our credit card number, suggesting that we could simply pay when and if we used it.

I found this approach refreshing but I wondered what would happen if you have a wreck in the BMW, are knocked out and UNABLE to call (therefore unable to give your cc number to the BMW assist person) -- do they go ahead and call for emergency assistance even though you are a pay as you go user?

Frankly, I wanted On*star and had to order my allroad to get it (and it took 5 months, since On*star equipped vehicles were on "back order" even though the dealer said virtually no one ever ordered it or activated it beyond the free period -- unlike satellite radio), but now, I wouldn't pay $16.95 per month for the "safe and secure" package.

I thought it would be insurance -- and yes I know, since I never used it, I have a different opinion perhaps than if I had needed it and didn't have it. Now, my thoughts are to make sure I have a car that is as crashworthy as possible. There are, today, three Audis that are "silver" rated as being crash worthy -- as I recall, today, there aren't any other LPS cars that made the cut.

Not even a Volvo made it to the list this time around. . . .

Don't know if this is compelling enough to buy a car, though.

Knowing Audi they won't capitalize on it.

And, for the record, I agree "it IS about getting out of the way or being able to avoid an emergency situation. . ." and the German cars certainly are quite capable of accident avoidance, generally speaking.
    I noticed that a few Audis just got IIHS "double best picks". Curious, how have Audi's seats rated for whiplash protection? Thats one of the lesser talked about saftey features that pretty much only Volvo and Saab even cared about until very recently.
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    I was wondering, as you also own the Audi, with the voice control, can you speak a name and have the voice recognition then call the number, or do you always have to then speak the number out loud??? Tony
  • kgarykgary Member Posts: 180
    You can say either the name or the number.
    You have several choices with voice control:

#1 say "dial number" then say "555-1212" all in one smooth breathless string or if you can't muster 7 digits without pausing, say "555" then "1212" -- the voice unit will respond by showing and repeating (in "her voice") what you said. You respond, "dial" -- and you're off to the races.

#2 you pre-load your address book (which means your MMI address book) into the system and then attach a voice tag to the entry. The cool thing about this is that you can preload both the phone number (at office at home, etc) and the navigation system programming simultaneously.

I have my system, for instance, pre loaded with my home phone number and my Country, State, City, Street and Intersection -- I call it "Home."

I awaken the Audi Lady and I say "Navigation" she says, "You again, what do you want this time?" I say "Navigate to 'Home'" and she flips up the MMI screen to show me the nav cooridnates and asks "Would you like to navigate to the indicated destination?" I say "yes my voice queen." She says, "follow the map."

I avert my eyes.

Or, I say, "telephone," again she says "what this time?" I say "Call Home." She says would you like to call "home?"

I say, "that's what I said sweetheart," she says, "dialing, home, at office land-line." I realize I programmed my home number into the "office" field but since the only difference is she would not say "at office" I just let her have her way.

It is, after the first entry, easy, fast and convenient -- but, most of all, with the in arm rest phone cradle (an Audi accessory) this system is SAFE and hardly ever frustrating.

Much as I hate big brotherism, I think if we all don't get phones in our cars that respond completely via voice commands, big brother is going to disallow us from using phones in cars altogether.

It is safer, easier and what the heck if you squint it is even fun (a helluv a lot more fun than trying to drive and punch those little tiny phone buttons on these new postage stamp sized cell phones for pity's sake.)

Don't even buy one of these Audis or LPS cars expecting to use a non voice activated phone and come to Cincinnati, for if the "thought police" don't get you, I'll chase you down if I catch you dinkin' around with a cell phone while driving with one eye on the road and the other on your super small phone. :mad: :shades:

P.S. voice command is in its infancy, I know that -- but it is NOT horrible. In fact, I change my radio stations and use the phone and nav system via voice. Almost exclusively. Heck, I'm even over the slight embarassment I used to feel when someone else was in the car with me and I'd say "CD, play Van Morrison."

Now, I pay attention to driving and not the 82 freakin' buttons, switches, dials, etc, that are arrayed in front of the driver.

The hell of it is, they charge $750 for smart key which is nice but heck, I only use it half the time. Yet, I'd pay that for voice command (limited in function as it is), yet they only ask $350 (which is probably pure profit.)

Go figure.

Voice command, don't leave home without it.

:surprise:
  • gohorns1gohorns1 Member Posts: 53
    Today while driving (in Austin) I heard a commercial for BMW twice within 30minutes of each other. They were clearly going after Lexus as the ad kept referring to the "ribbon" on a car(sure was hard to figure who they were referring to). Anyway, I was surprised to hear BMW directly competing with Lexus on an ad. Do they really feel threatened by Lexus. Possibly showing a little insecurity? They need to hire hdpowers for a little moral support ;)
    Nice thought but BMW needs no help from me.
    They have had a great year with the overwhelming success of the new 3 series and brisk lease/sales of the E60 5 series.